[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

55 minutes ago, Hikki said:

May I request that both spoilers AND their respective replies to be placed within the Spoiler function(see the eye above)? Gomawo

Agree to that.  That is what they are supposed to do .... and one can still edit it so that others who come once a while are not forced to see it. 

:glasses: (I'm hiding behind my glasses)

• Like 4

@csmiller1954 but if it is in KOC then with what authority are she and sin jae investigating him? Also in KOC there is no Lieutenant position in police force as confirmed by Lady Noh. At first I thought they caught him in ROC and Lee lim is living with his dopplegangler's name and since he also killed ROC brother so that's how they are investigating him BUT now we know he is not using his name, he is living on his own name or pseudoname(?) 

We do see KOC offical paper but they could have got that from LG .

Also did they show how did JTE find details about Lee lim dopplegangler? By fingerprints on the Lee Lim's autopsy report?

And if he put that body in KOC then whose body did he show dead in ROC?

@Heretorant jo yeong must have got details from sin jae himself or JTE (they didn't show that in detail) but in the hotel room they showed that both sin jae and jo yeong went to talk separately and JTE asked them what are they hiding bcoz at that time she didn't know about sin jae switch. Also jo yeong was surprised hearing sin jae's name bcoz he didn't know who was the woman walking , he was watching Sin jae's house and he quickly turned around when he sensed someone walking and when he heard her conversation he realised that she is sin jae's mom and tried to find her face in his memory and realised tea lady in the palace thus confirming Lee Gon's guess that SJ was switched bcoz of his parents. :)

Sorry if the points are repeated since I did very quick scan of the pgs because I like to watch episodes with spoiler free mind :P

@gwin I am with you wrt Lee ji hyun - his mom - sin jae . If it turns out to be true then let's have fried chicken and beer to celebrate it . If it turns out to be false then too let's have fried chicken and beer to forget that theory:joy:

Regarding korean general public response, I am genuinely doubtful whether senior writer like KES didn't know what to expect. She is known for her romance and if we see male lead LMH isn't he mostly known for romance ? KGE past 2 dramas were more romance oriented. So audience were may be expecting this drama to be romance heavy but it turned out to be thriller + romance. I would consider this as her experimental work ( she had to come up with new stories) . If we see in this forum itself how many other sources do we think this story is based on? 

1. Alice in Wonderland

2. Harry Potter: wrt LG vs Lee lim and now we are thinking abt trio: sword, flute and ring ( equivalent to deathly hallows ?)

Does flute = elder wand? Just like voldemort wanted to possess elder wand , here Lee lim wants flute and wants to be eternal

LL army reminds me of death eaters.

LG- LL connection with scar like HP-voldemort

3. Lord of the rings ( I don't know abt this, I am just adding here because I saw this mentioned in this forum)

4. Folklores / rabbit - moon

5. Parallel universe

6. Time travelling

7. Romance 

If anything this is like cocktail of all sort of stories :joy: not that I am complaining

Also this series needs more than one time watch of the episodes and all these dopplegangler stuff is confusing even for us online viewers and not to forget editing/ presentation also matters. General public did give it a chance , premiere episode ratings were near to 10%. It's just that it was not able to sustain viewers attention. Also ripple effect plays role. Articles about not so stellar ratings also helps to cement the view that this drama is not good. :( 

• Like 10

did anyone notice that LG first went to the bamboo forest and crossed over when he was chasing after Luna? When he went over, it seems that Luna went over too as JTE saw herself in the car backview mirror.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Umjicheok said:

Also did they show how did JTE find details about Lee lim dopplegangler? By fingerprints on the Lee Lim's autopsy report?

And if he put that body in KOC then whose body did he show dead in ROC?

For this part, i think that Lee Rim has people working for him in that hospital (care center) where his doppelganger's body was taken after the death.  So my guess is that an autopsy was performed, a report and death certificate was prepared, but he took the body from the hospital/care center to be brought to Corea.

@gwin I am with you wrt Lee ji hyun - his mom - sin jae . If it turns out to be true then let's have fried chicken and beer to celebrate it . If it turns out to be false then too let's have fried chicken and beer to forget that theory:joy:

Yep and then let's go here and say "told you all so!"  Hahaha.  But seriously, there's just too much reminders for me to dismiss these hints as nothing more than Lee Rim simply wanting to punish Ji-Hun's mom.  Especially these last few episodes since the Shin Jae reveal.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Umjicheok said:

@mrsj3n Lee lim wants to be immortal no? That's what Lee Gon says to himself when he realised Lee Lim's motive . I don't recall the exact dialogue but it goes something like, ' so it's not the throne but you want to be immortal ' . 

Also can anyone help in clarifying/give their thoughts :

1. why prince Buyeong was not the inital king since he is the eldest brother bcoz Lee Gon's father called Lee lim 'hyungnim' and Lee lim called prince Buyeong ' hyungnim' that means he is the oldest among them and he also has complete noble blood (?) 

2. when Lee gon enters into his room while sin jae - jo yeong are fighting we see him in all black. I wonder what he was doing? :sweatingbullets: 

3. The mother who was celebrating her son's birthday ( who has paralysis) , since Lee lim helped her  ( in his own twisted way) he would have taken her help right? Were we shown what was that help? Or her dopplegangler? 

Ok I think I should stop looking into details it's hurting my head :joy:

Anytime I am watching scenes which are not LTE , I am just over-analyzing everyone facial features including kids:joy:

Reporting for duty now. :joy:

Date: 19 May 2020

I just started catching up for the day so pardon me if someone answered you already.  

It's a lot to catch up and I'm afraid I'll missed certain parts. :joy:

LR didn't outright say he wanted immortality.

In episode 1, his main goal was the flute.

For the power to bring the world to him.

LG deduced LR wanted to be immortal since he saw LR not aging at all. 

1) Not sure. I'm not good with Korean history. Maybe LH is from the Queen or Crown Prince/King is decided based on capability or character? 

Edit: Ahhh.. @mychoiyoung answered already! Thanks! :wub:

2) LOL. Is that important? I have no idea.. judging that he left his coat on the bed, maybe taking a shower? Lol.

3) No mention. He just asked her to change her prayers and then we heard the news of the 3 boys being hit by a vehicle? 

Seriously, I doubt everyone that crossed path with LR will play a part in his sinister plan.

Sometimes he could just be chatty? LOL

14 hours ago, Heretorant said:

I have a question, why is JY investigating SJ’s mom in episode 10? 

I’ve watched it again and again but I couldn’t find a beautiful answer. Unless we haven’t seen the reason why yet and will be shown a flashback in the next episode? 

Hmm.. I can only guess that since SJ is swapped since young, they will want to know if the parents have any contact with LR.

That was what LG said in episode 9 when JY asked why did LR bring a child over?

And he replied that LR might have needed his parents.

So that sounds possible for JY to investigate SJ's mum.

Again. I think LG's doppelganger is dead.

Else why did his mother keep visiting the grave?

Now I wonder.. if SJ's father in ROK aware of the swap?

His ROK's mum looks clueless about it.

@SweetButters Wow! Burst my bubble dream. :joy:

But hey! Thank you. :)

It really make it easier to see the difference now.

Now I'm back to square one. LOL

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Reposting what @nikki7 posted over at the MinEun thread. As expected, the only thing that can ease my heart is LeeEul themselves. Hoping this will give everyone a good laugh. After that ending, that cliffhanger and all that time theorizing, we deserve this :joy: All shampoo companies are crying at the missed opportunity of the perfect, absolutely not cringey, PPL btw :lol:

14 minutes ago, JJJ said:

did anyone notice that LG first went to the bamboo forest and crossed over when he was chasing after Luna? When he went over, it seems that Luna went over too as JTE saw herself in the car backview mirror.

You’ll notice this happens a lot each time someone crosses over. Doppelgängers seem to share one split moment in time when someone crosses the gate. JY and ES did with the drinks and the prime minister did too when she saw her doppelgänger on her computer screen. I don’t believe Luna crossed over; JTE and Luna just experienced one of those moments. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

5 hours ago, mamabear said:

Another spoiler. DO NOT click if you don't want to be spoiled. 

Back to lurking :joy:

Yaay!!!

Managed to catch this before it's gone! :joy:

This is so gonna be in this week episode! 

@1ouise

I'm sorry but.... I can't see the difference in the card??? :sweat_smile:

Both look the same to me. Can drop me a tidbit on what to look out for so I can see the difference?

Are you referring to the card holder?

Edit:

Regarding JTE's top at end of episode 10.

She's wearing a wool round neck beige/camel coloured jumper.

In preview of episode 11:

She's wearing 2 layer of clothes.

Grey hoodie with white shirt inside.

So different clothes yah. ;)

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

Found an ep 11 description on Weibo but they didn't state any sources so don't know how true this is. I'm translating it from the original text which I'm including here if any of you doubt my translation and want to Google Translate it haha :P And also just for reference if any one of you want to search it up yourself on Weibo and find more sources and stuff :) 

Spoiler

25年前李霖给衮的地狱,25年后再现,但八岁的衮长大了也有自己想守护,也必须守护的东西。衮决定将自己的地狱留在历史里。
而同一时间,Luna发现了和自己有着一样面孔,却有着不一样人生的的太乙,Luna想要夺取太乙所拥有的东西

My translation:

The hell which LR gave LG 25 years ago has resurfaced, but LG has grown from an 8 year old boy 25 years ago. He now has things he wishes to protect, and must protect. LG decides to leave his hell in history (escape his past). At the same time, Luna finds out about JTE -- someone with the same face, but a different life. Now Luna wants to seize/wrest away all that JTE has. 

(my thoughts)

oof now this gets me thinking is the hell which is resurfacing the sequence of events in the ep 11 preview? And what does Luna have to do with it woah maybe we will see a confrontation between Luna and JTE? But knowing how Friday eps work we might not see it so soon haha :P

Edit: The chinese text is actually a translation from the original Korean version (but I just lost the source hhhhh) 
2nd edit: Korean version is 2 posts below in a spoiler.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, blobbityblobbityblob said:

Found an ep 11 description on Weibo but they didn't state any sources so don't know how true this is. I'm translating it from the original text which I'm including here if any of you doubt my translation and want to Google Translate it haha :P And also just for reference if any one of you want to search it up yourself on Weibo and find more sources and stuff :) 

Hide contents

25年前李霖给衮的地狱,25年后再现,但八岁的衮长大了也有自己想守护,也必须守护的东西。衮决定将自己的地狱留在历史里。
而同一时间,Luna发现了和自己有着一样面孔,却有着不一样人生的的太乙,Luna想要夺取太乙所拥有的东西

My translation:

The hell which LR gave LG 25 years ago has resurfaced, but LG has grown from an 8 year old boy 25 years ago. He now has things he wishes to protect, and must protect. LG decides to leave his hell in history (escape his past). At the same time, Luna finds out about JTE -- someone with the same face, but a different life. Now Luna wants to seize/wrest away all that JTE has. 

(my thoughts)

oof now this gets me thinking is the hell which is resurfacing the sequence of events in the ep 11 preview? And what does Luna have to do with it woah maybe we will see a confrontation between Luna and JTE? But knowing how Friday eps work we might not see it so soon haha :P

Edit: The chinese text is actually a translation from the original Korean version (but I just lost the source hhhhh) 

Woooah, if this is true, I would like to see an action scene between Luna and Tae Eul, that would totally be epic. But brooo, I might end up loathing Luna if she'll be too imprudent bruh. :tears:

• Like 7

OH NO! On LUNA & TE.  How dare she!

Spoiler

P1kVOvc.png

TRANSLATION OF FULL PREVIEW TEXT

Spoiler

Jung Tae Eul's Bloody Phone Call to Lee Gon "Lee Gon..when you get this message, find me~"

25 years have passed since Lee Rim's death and he finally meet again with Lee Gon. However, the once 8-year-old Crown Prince is no longer the same. He grew up well and had something he want to and have to protect. This Lee Gon, will turn hell into history. 

Meanwhile, Luna learns the truth about Tae Eul who is her doppelganger. Same face, completely opposite/different life. Luna wants what Tae Eul has...

• Like 5
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, mychoiyoung said:

OH NO! On LUNA & TE.  How dare she!

Hide contents

OMG!!!! 

Spoiler

What TE has, then it means including LG? Will she try to kill TE and pretend to be her? :bawling:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, blobbityblobbityblob said:

Text Preview of Ep. 11

The source is HERE  You'll be able to get the gist of what's is happening in Ep. 11 by using any translation app etc. The title for the Episode is what we saw in the the last part of Ep. 10. :ph34r:

Spoiler

11회 더 킹 : 영원의 군주

“얼른 갈게” 정태을, 피투성이 모습으로 이곤에 전화

“이곤.. 이거 들으면.. 나 찾아줘.”
이림이 선사한 지옥에 25년 만에 다시 무너져 내린 이곤. 하지만 이젠 그때와는 다르다.
8살이었던 태자는 잘 자랐고, 지키고 싶은 것도, 지켜야할 것도 생겼다. 이곤은 본인의 지옥을 역사로 바꾸기 위해 발걸음을 옮긴다. 한편, 루나는 자신과 같은 얼굴인 태을이 존재한단 사실을 알게 된다. 같은 얼굴, 정반대의 삶. 루나는 태을이 가진 것들이 갖고 싶어지는데..

I'm not going to overthink.  I'll wait till Friday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

this part when taeeul slipped a little bit and leegon helped her with his hands but leeminho jokingly said he’s helping her not by his hands but his body and goeun laugh:joy:

3rr049z5yyo2.gif

:lol:

0SAjKC2.gif

69vlrwfhlqm1.gif

• Like 9
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, mamabear said:

OMG!!!! 

Reveal hidden contents

What TE has, then it means including LG? Will she try to kill TE and pretend to be her? :bawling:

How? This plot translation sounds like Why do I need More Swapping, we need resoultions now arghh. Unless we get a S2.

Are we sure King is only a 16 episode show??

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • LOL 16