[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I love reading everyone's theories. Some of your analysis are very insightful.  I decided that I would sit back and enjoy the ride.  I have not had time to read all 350 pages, however, did anyone have a theory on the fact that both Lee Lim and Le Gon have issues with their skin when it rains?  I think that the more times  each cross into another world, the more their DNA is altered.  Remember the road or the place where time does not exist?  I think that is where Lee Gon disappeared to. 

If there is one alternate universe, why can't there be other alternate universes?  It is theorized that time is a continuum; however, in real life you cannot travel backward or sideways, only forward.   

I noticed that there are some Dr. Who fans on this thread.  I have been a Dr. Who fan since the reruns of the first doctor.  However, I am trying to keep the two separate and not apply the time travel rules from that show to this show.  

At the end of each episode, I have more questions than answers, that is what is so great about this writer, when I think I have it all figured out, there is another twist.  I also realize that some subplots are red herrings and are added to keep us guessing.

I wish that I did not start watching this drama in real time, because I have to wait until the end of the week for the next installment.

Keep theorizing it is fun to read your posts. Maybe at end Lee Lim will self destruct and that is what his brother knew... a grab for absolute power, trying to rule both worlds,  would ultimately destroy the holder of the magic flute. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

It was actually taken out for a day.  It was the day after Epi 10 and I could not find it.  Then it came back Monday.

Re #1 question  

Yes Prince Buyeong is older than LG & LL/LR but is not a direct heir to the King.  Prince Buyeong's father is PRINCE Inpyeong, supposedly younger brother of KING Haejong. The latter is the father of Lee Ho who eventually inherited the throne from Haejong. Lee Ho is the father of LG who LL killed in 1994.  So although Prince Buyeong is older than LG & LL/LR he cannot be King unless both Lee Ho & Lee Gon die and Lee Gon does not produce an heir.

Re # 2 question

If based on his outfit, looked like LG came from the gym or from a walk. Just a guess.

Which outfit and what day? do you mean the day he saved himself. I have seen him wearing hoodie and black jeans and i think it was also the same clothes he was wearing when he visited tae tul in 1994. Which explains everything now. It could look like a gym outfit but i think it was just casual clothes to hide his identity and he had his mouth covered

• Like 5

@Heretorant @Carmarie same here, it seems we almost have a complete picture of a puzzle we're working on. But the writer has her ways to surprise us with some plot twist in some episodes, i.e. the yoyo boy and bloody TE in 2022. So with lots of questions and mysteries the writer has thrown so far. I shared the same sentiment, will 6 episodes are enough to wrap up all loose ends decently and beautifully. When I mean beautifully, I also mean it a beautiful happy ending for LTE couple. Lots of their lovey dovey moments are so preferable. 

Like you all, I'll try to rest my brain from thinking too much and enjoy the show. So when something comes out as another new plot twist, i.e. JH is alive. I might turn off all my brain for the rest of episodes and thanking the writer for having both LMH in our screen. That's the worse scenario but for better viewing pleasure, then it's forgivable. Lol. 

But everything hasn't ended yet, so far it is still on its right track. Let's give some more trust for the writer. In the meantime, keep on creating many theories to skip the days to Friday comes. It's best while waiting. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, CallieP said:

They have Episode 1 - 9. Could not find episode 10 yet. You might find this interesting. Caucasian American fans 

How did you manage to get the Netflix picture on Soompi?  I tried but could not do it. Show me your trick. I have it saved as a jpeg. 

I keep seeing Hi Mama, Kingdom and extracurricular every time under popular but never  King. Under trending I see CLOY, Hospital list, Rugal, Suits, Heirs, chocolate, Kingdom every time  I check . I see kingdom on both popular and trending. Vagabond has dropped off but I have never seen king even once. I don't check every day though but after the show which is weekend but no luck.

Thanks for sharing that YT link... It was fun to watch their reaction.  :D   Looking forward to their Episode 10 reaction video.   

As for the Netflix Most Popular, yeah I only saw The King in that list last weekend... I don't know why it's not coming up now, maybe most viewers prefer to wait for the drama to complete before they watch it, considering the complexity of the plot ? Or maybe a lot of people find the drama confusing ..    :blink:   

And I was surprised  NETFLIX brought back BOF !  The drama was officially removed from Netflix end of April.   Check out this link...  

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leaving-soon/titles-leaving-netflix-in-may-2020/

So I guess it was renewed? 

Spoiler

As for sharing the screenshot, you have to save the jpeg file in a hosting site then paste the URL of the photo here.  I actually just use Facebook.  I upload my photos to my FB account, then open Facebook using Chrome or any browser  (not FB app), right click the image you want to share to open a separate window, then copy the URL of the photo from the opened window. Then paste the URL here using the  "Insert image from URL' box below.    

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I have seen under trending and popular. Is because when you already have it under watchlist or watching it dosent show in other sections and genres but in your watch area

I've seen it under trending on the day when new episode was made available. It's won't stay in trending all the time as it's a snap shot raking of that day or week. It changes daily. King is always on the NF original. 

• Like 4

After reading all the theories and post on this forum, I'm going back to episode 1.  I've noticed two things, JTE is interviewing LL in KOC not ROK, didn't catch that the first time I saw the episode.  Second did anyone notice that the Four Tiger Sword not only had the prayer on one side, but that there was a pattern of lines and dots on the other side.  I just wonder if anyone had a thought about what the pattern could be.  My thought, portals in time, or gateways to different places.  You know there has to be more than two worlds.  Maybe the pattern shows the different worlds and LG is trying to find the one where JTE is alive, happy and with him.  Just trying to figure out a way this pair could be together.  

• Like 4
  • Insightful 6

Honestly with the ratings...I’m never too concerned.  It’s not like in the U.S. where the studios can pull you to a close because it’s not profitable anymore.  We’re 6 episodes away from being done and they’ve already secured their money.  Worst case scenario is nobody but us watches the finale and we’ll all live in a time loop of discussing and watching TKEM over and over and over while eating bagged kimchi and fried chicken :grimace:  

• Like 5
  • LOL 9
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Question re the TKEM Special - Anyone saw it?  Was it subbed when it was shown? Cos I have a copy of it but not subbed. Too bad...

I was looking forward to that special episode with subtitles it has already been released I think but I couldn't find it with subs anywhere 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I love reading everyone's theories. Some of your analysis are very insightful.  I decided that I would sit back and enjoy the ride.  I have not had time to read all 350 pages, however, did anyone have a theory on the fact that both Lee Lim and Le Gon have issues with their skin when it rains?  I think that the more times  each cross into another world, the more their DNA is altered.  Remember the road or the place where time does not exist?  I think that is where Lee Gon disappeared to. 

If there is one alternate universe, why can't there be other alternate universes?  It is theorized that time is a continuum; however, in real life you cannot travel backward or sideways, only forward.   

I noticed that there are some Dr. Who fans on this thread.  I have been a Dr. Who fan since the reruns of the first doctor.  However, I am trying to keep the two separate and not apply the time travel rules from that show to this show.  

At the end of each episode, I have more questions than answers, that is what is so great about this writer, when I think I have it all figured out, there is another twist.  I also realize that some subplots are red herrings and are added to keep us guessing.

I wish that I did not start watching this drama in real time, because I have to wait until the end of the week for the next installment.

Keep theorizing it is fun to read your posts. Maybe at end Lee Lim will self destruct and that is what his brother knew... a grab for absolute power, trying to rule both worlds,  would ultimately destroy the holder of the magic flute. 

I made the same effort too. :) To me, this show has followed mostly cosmic strings time travel theory -  narrow tubes of energy stretched across the entire length of the ever-expanding universe. These thin region (path LG and LR took to travel between two worlds) are predicted to contain huge amounts of mass and therefore could warp the space-time around them, which also slows down time to allow LG & LR to stay young.  Cosmic strings are either infinite or they’re in loops, with no ends. The approach of two such strings parallel to each other would bend space-time so vigorously and in such a particular configuration that makes time travel possible.  think the writer has used the flute as symbol or catalyst to open the gate to these thin regions. Who gets hold of flute has the ability to make the time travel. If flute is sealed and kept in safe box, no one will be available to time travel and looping will end. The story must end with uniting two halves of flute and close the gate to these thin regions (paths). 

I, too, wish I did not start watching in real time. The weekly waiting is affecting my life in most inconvenient way. :anguished: But my curiosity got the better of me. :joy:

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I had a thought - do you guys know what we are right now?  The scene in Avengers Endgame where everyone is arguing over time travel and eating junk food nonstop while throwing out theories of time travel movies we all watched.  

Makes sense, we are led by our Iron Man Leader, Jo Eun Seob. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 16
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, csmiller1954 said:

After reading all the theories and post on this forum, I'm going back to episode 1.  I've noticed two things, JTE is interviewing LL in KOC not ROK, didn't catch that the first time I saw the episode.  Second did anyone notice that the Four Tiger Sword not only had the prayer on one side, but that there was a pattern of lines and dots on the other side.  I just wonder if anyone had a thought about what the pattern could be.  My thought, portals in time, or gateways to different places.  You know there has to be more than two worlds.  Maybe the pattern shows the different worlds and LG is trying to find the one where JTE is alive, happy and with him.  Just trying to figure out a way this pair could be together.  

@csmiller1954 Pretty sure the interrogation room in ep 1 is in ROK. See below:

1) Police Station Laptop Logo

ROK

From Ep 1:

rbsWZ6k.png

From a different episode:

Spoiler

cbJtoYX.png

KOC

AEXNBPk.png

2) Interrogation Room

ROK

From Ep. 1

gMfb6y8.png

From a different episode: 

Spoiler

dts4zDP.png

KOC

Spoiler

6wc38uS.png

Spoiler

9ufbODB.png

• Like 17
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

I had a thought - do you guys know what we are right now?  The scene in Avengers Endgame where everyone is arguing over time travel and eating junk food nonstop while throwing out theories of time travel movies we all watched.  

Makes sense, we are led by our Iron Man Leader, Jo Eun Seob. 

I loved Avengers endgame but the time-travel concept had few holes. Thanos defeated them and then they had to redo but couldn't bring back some of their characters but was happy that my favourite character Gamora survived even tho she couldn't recognize Peter.

She couldn't remember him because time was reset and all the Guardians of the galaxy romance never happened between them and this is what happens when you approach someone who can't remember you. 

source.gif

Something like this almost happened to Lee Gon when he ran into Tae Eul first but he was arrested 

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

26 minutes ago, NoonaCaana said:

red ballon in the earlier episode is only one, but the next episode (ep.10) there is alot of red ballon. is that a clue?

@NoonaCaanaSeveral pages earlier, I mentioned that it might mean that King began leaving red balloon in each time loop and time travel. He's done the same timeline (span of time) in many time loops. Not sure if others think the same. Love to hear your view too. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just want to add a brief summary in a chart directly related to LG and JTE. Is there any other time loops for the same span of time of their courtship that we have seen? I streamlined it to just LG & JTE only. 

PF0JNzs.png

Like many of you, I think Epi 10  kiss goodbye scene happened with future LG travel back to give JTE flower and tell her "I love you" because he did not get to do that in current timeline 2019/2020 before she dies. LG is going into final battle with LR in future timeline beyond 2022 when JTE is no longer alive. 

Edit - I am sorry to hurt the feeling of many of you with my prediction of JTE dying. No matter which theories I take, it all leads me to her death. :tears:

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2