[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I was thinking about writer Kim's recent past works (Goblin and Mr.Sunshine) and I don't think she is going to give us a happy ending considering how this drama is going, even though I want happy ending for LG so bad. 

A few people mentioned they think its LG's future self who came to see JTE and I think that make sense because he said to her if I ever suddenly disappear it means I am walking through frozen time and by the looks of the preview it looks like JTE is going to die. 

I guess we just have to wait till next Friday to get some more answers. I just honestly hope we see less and less product placements and more drama content.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, FSH said:

But it will be very sad if this theory is true because the drama will definitely be sad ending.

To me, this drama was written with sad but beautiful, heartfelt, sweet and love-fulfilled ending to begin with.  It's an endless (repeating in time loops) love story of two people from two universes together briefly but physically separate forever. They never doubt their love for each other, that's why I said it's love fulfilled. Death and separation do not do them apart. They're not moving on and away from each other. The time loops that LG initiated afforded them to meet again and again until.....the day gates must be closed between universes. But they will eternally live in each other's heart ❤ 

The King (LR too) spent his lonely days in the in-between space (vacuum in galaxy where time goes by relatively slow) and travel between two worlds to repeat this same time-line in different time loops. He said to JTE when they were in that nothing grows space- I will travel to the end of that road and come back to tell you all about it. Why didn't he just take her with him? Because he couldn't.  JTE isn't eternal, but King is. 

We are watching their courtship unfolding with scenes from different time loops. King probably started marking each time loop by leaving a red balloon in that vacuum space (path between two universes). We now saw scene with more than just one balloons. We also saw SE holding a red balloon when he and King came through path from RoK to Corea. Why would he be holding that balloon if writer didn't intend for us to know that balloon was used to explain and move plots. 

We all have our guesses. Mine is just one of many to the "what if" list. :)

• Like 7
  • Sad 9
  • Insightful 3

10 minutes ago, Keikokoko said:

To me, this drama was written with sad but beautiful, heartfelt, sweet and love-fulfilled ending to begin with.  It's an endless (repeating in time loops) love story of two people from two universes together briefly but physically separate forever. They never doubt their love for each other, that's why I said it's love fulfilled. Death and separation do not do them apart. They're not moving on and away from each other. The time loops that LG initiated afforded them to meet again and again until.....the day gates must be closed between universes. But they will eternally live in each other's heart ❤ 

The King (LR too) spent his lonely days in the in-between space (vacuum in galaxy where time goes by relatively slow) and travel between two worlds to repeat this same time-line in different time loops. He said to JTE when they were in that nothing grows space- I will travel to the end of that road and come back to tell you all about it. Why didn't he just take her with him? Because he couldn't.  JTE isn't eternal, but King is. 

We are watching their courtship unfolding with scenes from different time loops. King probably started marking each time loop by leaving a red balloon in that vacuum space (path between two universes). We now saw scene with more than just one balloons. We also saw SE holding a red balloon when he and King came through path from RoK to Corea. Why would he be holding that balloon if writer didn't intend for us to know that balloon was used to explain and move plots. 

We all have our guesses. Mine is just one of many to the "what if" list. :)

Seriously, this is also what am thinking.  But am still hoping that KES will allow The King to find a beautiful solution and answer to his predicament.  An endless loop is too cruel... there has to be a final loop were LG resolves his & TE's nearly impossible situation.

If Corea is protected from the knowledge of LR and LG is able to get the 2nd half of the flute from him, perhaps there is no need to close the portal. However that means blood will be shed for all the minions that LR had recruited. To do so, the showdown must not happen in Corea.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Seriously, this is also what am thinking.  But am still hoping that there KES will allow The King to find a beautiful solution and answer to his predicament

Yes. Yes. Yes!! 

We shall not be sad for them. None of us can relive all the sweet moments and connections with our loved ones like King and JTE. I have once said that it's like cherry blossoms, while short but beautiful and never fails to return yearly. A sight to cherish and behold. :heart:

• Like 9
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Aco said:

I have a theory on the next episode

Reveal hidden contents

If everyone saying that JTE  and Luna(Future) are the same person is true then this is my theory in the next episode

What if LR approaches Luna then Luna will start remembering and the flashback is the one in the preview JTE said in that preview that she is going to palace. I think that's where she will lose her memories also the preview and the 2022 video LG saw JTE have the same hair there maybe that preview happened in 2022

Mm... I have a different take on this. What you suggested is quite an interesting idea but I think if we see the preview actually a lot is going on - (not in sequence obviously because we don't know the chronology of the events)
1. JTE w/ no blood and calling at the payphone
2. JTE w/ no blood, slumping against the wall/hiding
3. JTE w/ blood, grabbing a gun
4. JTE w/ blood, looking ahead and crying (possibly meeting LG)

5. JTE w/ blood, breaking down alone

7. JTE walking on the streets

So a lot is going on in this whole sequence of her being in Corea, which leads me to think that if they were to mash it into "Luna's memories after meeting LR" it'll be too long, and also the impact would be reduced once we know that this doesn't actually happen to the character we care about more and are more invested in (JTE), as compared to Luna. The next episode seems to have so much potential since it is the first main action climax we see, and I don't think they will drop this moment like this by making it a flashback. 

That's why I think that the ep 11 preview happens to the present day JTE, and I'm just hypothesising here but it's possible that LR took her over but she escaped from his minions and fought her way out, and I guess it breaks out into some sort of mafia fights between LR's army and LG's security forces, etc... (explains the fog, ominous atmosphere in the preview)

As for why Luna is not exactly a bad person, and has kindness towards animals and kids, I think it's just a part of her personality? Which can be used as a pivot point for the plot to turn when LR recruits her but she steals his other part of the flute and is somehow convinced to give it to LG/destroy it/give it to JTE. If Luna turns out to be JTE's past self stuck in a failed timeline/history, it might make the story too complicated especially since we are only just starting to unravel the problems and questions posed to us from the past 10 episodes. Though that will be cool, I think that there's just way too many things to focus on that if they bring in new variables to character backgrounds I think it'll take away from other important plot points. 

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 13

I remember there was an announcement that a special episode will be aired today (Sunday) to explain parallel world and so on. 

Any idea when it will be out? 

If the special video managed to do a good job at explain and fill in the gap for previous episodes, more viewers would tune in next week (also the world of the married - the big competitor has just ended). 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Aco said:

I have a theory on the next episode

Hide contents

If everyone saying that JTE  and Luna(Future) are the same person is true then this is my theory in the next episode

What if LR approaches Luna then Luna will start remembering and the flashback is the one in the preview JTE said in that preview that she is going to palace. I think that's where she will lose her memories also the preview and the 2022 video LG saw JTE have the same hair there maybe that preview happened in 2022

When Luna was feeding the cat, did she say something along the lines that she doesn’t have any memories? She doesn’t know who she is so she borrowed the cats name?

Maybe Luna is JTE from some time line, but she’s been trapped for so long in KOC and since she doesn’t actually belong there, all her memories have faded and she’s just wandering trying to survive (this would be so sad...) She also has a terminal illness so maybe that is a symptom of being in the wrong world for too long?

So maybe the LGs saviour was JTE who turned into Luna (This kind of make sense of the saviour being an accurate shooter but don’t know how they are going to explain her not aging much)... She doesn’t have memories but is drawn to him (wanting only money with LGs face in it and also randomly appearing as the white rabbit in front of LG).

Argh! Waiting for the next episodes every week will be the death of me!!!

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Kdramatic said:

When Luna was feeding the cat, did she say something along the lines that she doesn’t have any memories? She doesn’t know who she is so she borrowed the cats name?

She didn't say anything like that. She just said I'm borrowing your name, it's even on the documents now (she got put in jail and thus she's on official records now). I think she doesn't know who she is because she got abandoned when she was young/whatever, which is the original character background we were given -

"It was said that she was abandoned in the worst slum in Busan. With no parents and any identification, she did not officially exist in this world. Learning about her situation, as soon as she was able to talk and walk, she needs to finds food to eat as well as places to sleep. She is also a strong girl who had the guts to retaliate two to three times whatever she received.

As she grow older, her arrest record also grows in the cases such as burglary, breaking and entering, assault, and forgery. The imprisonment finally gave her an official record of her existence as it was legally documented. She named herself as Luna after the stray cat that had survived in the slum.

Moreover, Luna cannot believe upon knowing that she only have three months to live due to cancer, and it maybe a hereditary condition. Until then, she never believed in any god but after the one who approached her both like the darkness and the light named Geumyang, she learns to believe now." - Source: https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/04/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-characters-of-the-king-eternal-monarch/

So basically I think that Luna and JTE have no correlation in terms of whether they are the past/future selves of each other? But if they are then man... this will be so heartbreaking omy

• Like 9
  • Love 1

This is a very well done music video compiles all the scenes of JTE and LG reunite with increasing emotions everytime. Im gonna put in under spoiler as it contains scenes of the latest episode

Spoiler

When you watch all the reunite scene together like this, note how it always mirror their first encounter in episode 1, only in increasingly dramatic/emotional. The very last one is my favorite, so much emotions. 

I love their height differences when they hug. LOOK SO COMFYYYY 

• Like 14
  • Love 3

12 hours ago, Keikokoko said:

What's up with Korean Fried Chicken in K-drama. Even thought I only watched few (less than 5), every single one of them had KFC scenes.  Don't they eat other food in Korea? The street food SJ and JTE had on stick looked pretty yummy. Is that like Mochi sticky rice stuff? Love Korean food 

Exactly! And they make the chicken look so good. The chicken at my place isn’t even advertised half as good! :lol: there was a bbq scene but i felt like food was wasted there too. There was a scene where TE brought homemade food for JY but felt like no one ate it. TE said she would order steak during the office scene with SJ. We never saw the delivery so probably if it had actually been in the scene, we would only get one bite again. The street food looks the most delicious because i love street food. But they took a couple of bites only too. I would have taken gigantic bites and get more LOL! I think what SJ was eating is spicy rice cake and JTE was eating a spicy fish cake. Yummy! As you can see, i love food! So it puts me into a spin when all these food are there but no one is taking advantage of it :joy: (i know, it’s all PPL only but still. I mean, wouldn’t it be better to finish it so that people will know that it was so dang good that it’s all finished :lol:)

@Elnin Joery hahaha, with this drama, we will all laugh and cry together! And thank you for the compliment:

tenor.gif?itemid=7656088

:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

D8ya1SV.jpg

If we see there is no one standing in front of her. If we consider Lee Gon's (lmh) height, shouldn't we be able to see his head if he was directly standing in front of her gaze. (?)!

At first I thought it is editing glitch but now I am thinking it is purposely shown like that.

@Wis dom thanks , I got it.:D

Also at the start of the episode when Lee gon meets tae eul in the bamboo forest , one RED balloon is released into the air.:sweatingbullets:

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

37 minutes ago, blobbityblobbityblob said:

She didn't say anything like that. She just said I'm borrowing your name, it's even on the documents now (she got put in jail and thus she's on official records now). I think she doesn't know who she is because she got abandoned when she was young/whatever, which is the original character background we were given -

"It was said that she was abandoned in the worst slum in Busan. With no parents and any identification, she did not officially exist in this world. Learning about her situation, as soon as she was able to talk and walk, she needs to finds food to eat as well as places to sleep. She is also a strong girl who had the guts to retaliate two to three times whatever she received.

As she grow older, her arrest record also grows in the cases such as burglary, breaking and entering, assault, and forgery. The imprisonment finally gave her an official record of her existence as it was legally documented. She named herself as Luna after the stray cat that had survived in the slum.

Moreover, Luna cannot believe upon knowing that she only have three months to live due to cancer, and it maybe a hereditary condition. Until then, she never believed in any god but after the one who approached her both like the darkness and the light named Geumyang, she learns to believe now." - Source: https://annyeongoppa.com/2020/04/17/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-characters-of-the-king-eternal-monarch/

So basically I think that Luna and JTE have no correlation in terms of whether they are the past/future selves of each other? But if they are then man... this will be so heartbreaking omy

Oh thanks for clarifying! Don’t know what the heck I was remembering. I think my brain is fried from all the theories and trying to wrap my head around what’s going on. Hahahaha

I really am hoping this won’t have a tragic ending though.

• Like 5