[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I haven't watched episode 10 yet and still spazzing here lol. I was waiting to order some food take away before I jump on my sofa and get under my carpet and enjoy some ordered fast food and ofcourse enjoying or reliving this amazing kiss happen 

img.gif&key=d09474440a481c66ebf2b4220af8

• Like 3
  • Love 7

17 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

Speculation: What does that last scene mean?

The Lee Gon of the last scene is definitely from the future. He seems to be saying goodbye, which means I'm pretty sure that they will be separated at the end of the drama (or if we are incredibly lucky it only means that LG believes that they will be forever separated and they actually won't).

I'm crossing my fingers for that parenthesis part.  I'm not banking on it, but I'm still going to cling to that possibility until I can't anymore.  Heh.

However JTE's sense that their time together will be short (ep. 8) and LG's demeanor in this scene suggest to me that they won't end up together. He is crying, and probably using this opportunity granted through time traveling to see her one last time/again. JTE will meet LG again, it will just be the present LG who we, the audience, last saw mourning his uncle. That LG will later on become the one we saw in this episode's last scene.

I am prepared the possibility this series will have a sad ending.  Here it seems with JTE having that "sad premonition" in ep8 and what seemed framed in ep10 as a goodbye kiss.  his is a goodbye in the middle of the series.  There is something sadly poetic here about a goodbye in the middle of a story.  If we think of this like music, it could be LG's coda we just saw.  In which case, we very likely will see that kiss again in ep16 at the very end (or at least what LG thinks is the end of his story or the end of it with JTE).

Why I'm hanging onto hope though is I do think a lot of the finality suggested in ep8-ep10 is leaning more towards what LG perceives or at least within his arc to an extent.  What I think we aren't as certain of - despite JTE's "sad premonition"* - is what JTE may do in reaction to upcoming events.  If yo-yo kid may intervene in some way (if s/he can). 

JTE - at least by LR (and his chess allegory) - is also being presented as something of a wild card.  She's the "move [he] didn't make".  LR doesn't like unpredictability in this big game he's playing, hence he doesn't like SJ's presence (though LR framed him more like a mistake he made) or JTE's (because she wasn't one of his manipulations/"move(s)").  If LR, the main villain of the story, isn't totally certain JTE's role in this game, hero LG (present or future) may not be certain either, even if he thinks he knows.  I'd also guess Luna may be a similar wild card.  Though LR being as arrogant as he is, maybe thinking he can turn what's unpredictable to predictable and move both Luna and JTE as he wills and to his benefit, but whatever control he thinks he has could be nothing but an illusion.  That his arrogance ends up costing him (if he recruits Luna, she may very well betray him.  If he thinks he's got JTE read, he ends up misunderstanding / underestimating her).

Though with that chess allegory.... JTE, even now, already seems heavily suggested as the queen piece.  She may not be there yet, this could be her journey.  The role LR and LG may be unaware or unaware to what extent her role there goes.  Obviously the main function of the queen in chess is to protect the king.  The Queen is also the most powerful piece on the chess board.  This role could be fulfilled in her much speculated, imminent death (and if she dies protecting LG in some way.... and as may have been foreshadowed a few times how JTE defends those she cares for, against numerous, seemingly insurmountable foes).  Though this role as queen could extend beyond this too.... as LG's actual queen.  For the question LG asked her in ep9 (would she come with him and live in his world) and JY presents again in ep10 (would she be willing to leave everything behind and become queen of KOC).  These also seem like the big questions of the series (along with how the hero, LG, defeats the villain, LR) and what JTE, co-lead (and heroine), may be willing to go through / sacrifice to realize the answer to those questions over the course of the remaining episodes.

I think it is very interesting of all the glimpses of the future yo-yo kid could have shown LG (and us, the audience) it was that glimpse of JTE in KOC (by that bookstore) on May 27, 2022.  Which I doubt was any accident at all.  Though LG may not understand that glimpse / why he was shown this until much later.... and maybe not until after JTE herself makes whatever choices she does by story's end.  Interesting too the year as I think that'd make JTE the same age that LG is now in the present (age he still may be in 2022 due to possibly undergoing similar side effects as LR via dimensional/time travel).  Equal in age and the symbolism there may be, it may take JTE to 2022 - and whatever journey she goes on up to that point - for her to realize the answer to those (aforementioned) questions (would she stay in LG's world/become his queen).  

*There are some death and rebirth themes already present in the show.  It features prominently in LR's arc and that's likely going to be reflected in the hero's (heroes'?) arc(s) as well.  JTE might have had that "sad premonition" because she may very well die soon, but with time travel as a plot device, that's not to say death may necessarily be final.  

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 9

If I'm being honest I do think since the show has set up the problem of the main characters being from separate universes quite early that it should entail that the story will resolve this issue. That doesn't mean that I think it will (I hope though!!!) but it just means that the ending won't feel happy or even bittersweet at all really if they are separated at the end. LG/JTE sacrificing himself/herself and/or their relationship for the purpose of bringing balance and setting things right and defeating LL will be a morally good/heroic thing to do, but also a tragic end...

If they are separated does this mean that he will have to marry someone he does not love for the sake of the Kingdom? The drama keeps bringing up the issue about his need to marry. This worries me quite a bit, not because I believe that people have only one true love in reality - but in dramas such as these that is often in fact the case. Therefore that would be a pretty depressing ending. 

In Goblin if I understand it correctly the main leads get to spend quite a significant time together right? First the time spent in during the drama but also in the end don't they reunite in her next life? Which seemed to indicate that they would at least get to spend another life time together? If I remember the Goblin will however be alone after her last life, which is what made it bittersweet? (Apologies if I'm wrong or misrepresenting the drama). I'm just bringing it up because I'm trying to think of how KSE will end this drama. What would be a bittersweet ending for TK:EM? Their short time together (as stated by JTE in ep. 8) unfortunately seem to be what the drama is setting up as the bitter (as in bittersweet) part of their relationship. :tears:

If LG finds himself trapped due to defeating LL, time traveling etc. perhaps JTE will save him? Maybe saving him from becoming an Eternal Monarch/trapped in the in-between but they still having to be separated might be the bittersweet ending? I thought for a while that the show might end with a kind of time reset, where LL's entry into the Republic is stopped and thus all the dead doppelgangers live and perhaps JTE will meet LG's doppelganger, a person who is saved due to the original LG actions. However as the show states - and it is right to do so - these doppelgangers are fundamentally different people so there would be no reason for JTE to love this alternative person. That kind of ending would also be a bit depressing if I'm honest. I don't think the show is going there though thankfully. 

How sad/tragic are KSE's dramas in general? Are there any clues (for example themes etc.) in them that we might refer to?

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

I read most of the live stream playbacks before it went on line in the usa but stopped to watch with subs. This episode broke my heart.As I predicted someone we liked died. I didn’t expect it to be prince Lee Jong-In but it makes sense that LL needed to eliminate the next heir as well as make his nephew suffer.  Many of our cues were verified. There are at least two gates between worlds. The child who keeps showing up at key moments is like a greek chorus or deities of some sort. They observe, make comments but do not usually intervene.That’s not to say they can’t. The child who bumped into JT causing her to lose her  ID helped to change the course of the king’s fate. When the child offered to retrieve the ID had Jt accepted his help then things would have gone back to the original fate. In this episode the young boy draws a parallel between King Arthur’s  sword in the stone and this king’s sword. In both stories it is the sword that reveals the density of a king. It is the sword that holds the power to control the fate of a  kingdom. Fate and the struggle between good and evil are the heart of this drama. I think that the children are more than casual observers who in the end may have some power to tip the scale in favor of good over evil. This time the child questions LL on his actions and says he doesn't like blood. When LL says it’s “The sword must be drawn by those who know how to use it” the child says two important things. “What happens if a villain draws the sword?” and after LL replies that Justice doesn't make the sword. The sword decides what is justice.” The child says “It seems that things in your world keep changing”. Which just might be a reminder that when LL thinks he has things going his way the world can change on him turning victory into defeat. 

I was not expecting a happy ending to our love story. In this episode Jo Young voiced all of my concerns to JT and more, He asked “Can you handle it” laying out all the reasons why she and the king can’t be together. JT doesn't push back because she also knows all the reasons why this will never work. The final scene had me in tears. He appears only so briefly flowers in hand just to say how deeply he loves her. They kiss and you can see a tear trickle down his face. It was heartbreaking. Especially when he is gone and she falls to the ground in tears. I would have lost all hope at this point if our  king’s final words had not held out just a little ray of hope. We hear his voice say “There will come a moment when it seems I’ve disappeared. I don’t want you to worry too much when that happens. It just means I’m walking through the frozen moments in time.”  This is a foreshadowing of things to come and a ray of hope that just when it looks impossible time will right itself. Good will win over evil and love will make it through the frozen time to come out the other side. For now I will believe the King so “Don't worry”

• Like 10
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 4

4 minutes ago, cpt_falcon said:

I'm crossing my fingers for that parenthesis part.  I'm not banking on it, but I'm still going to cling to that possibility until I can't anymore.  Heh.

I am prepared the possibility this series will have a sad ending.  Here it seems with JTE having that "sad premonition" in ep8 and what seemed framed in ep10 as a goodbye kiss.  his is a goodbye in the middle of the series.  There is something sadly poetic here about a goodbye in the middle of a story.  If we think of this like music, it could be LG's coda we just saw.  In which case, we very likely will see that kiss again in ep16 at the very end (or at least what LG thinks is the end of his story or the end of it with JTE).

Why I'm hanging onto hope though is I do think a lot of the finality suggested in ep8-ep10 is leaning more towards what LG perceives or at least within his arc to an extent.  What I think we aren't as certain of - despite JTE's "sad premonition"* - is what JTE may do in reaction to upcoming events.  If yo-yo kid may intervene in some way (if s/he can). 

JTE - at least by LR (and his chess allegory) - is also being presented as something of a wild card.  She's the "move [he] didn't make".  LR doesn't like unpredictability in this big game he's playing, hence he doesn't like SJ's presence (though LR framed him more like a mistake he made) or JTE's (because she wasn't one of his manipulations/"move(s)").  If LR, the main villain of the story, isn't totally certain JTE's role in this game, hero LG (present or future) may not be certain either, even if he thinks he knows.  I'd also guess Luna may be a similar wild card.  Though LR being as arrogant as he is, maybe thinking he can turn what's unpredictable to predictable and move both Luna and JTE as he wills and to his benefit, but whatever control he thinks he has could be nothing but an illusion.  That his arrogance ends up costing him (if he recruits Luna, she may very well betray him.  If he thinks he's got JTE read, he ends up misunderstanding / underestimating her).

Though with that chess allegory.... JTE, even now, already seems heavily suggested as the queen piece.  She may not be there yet, this could be her journey.  The role LR and LG may be unaware or unaware to what extent her role there goes.  Obviously the main function of the queen in chess is to protect the king.  The Queen is also the most powerful piece on the chess board.  This role could be fulfilled in her much speculated, imminent death (and if she dies protecting LG in some way.... and as may have been foreshadowed a few times how JTE defends those she cares for, against numerous, seemingly insurmountable foes).  Though this role as queen could extend beyond this too.... as LG's actual queen.  For the question LG asked her in ep9 (would she come with him and live in his world) and JY presents again in ep10 (would she be willing to leave everything behind and become queen of KOC).  These also seem like the big questions of the series (along with how the hero, LG, defeats the villain, LR) and what JTE, co-lead (and heroine), may be willing to go through / sacrifice to realize the answer to those questions over the course of the remaining episodes.

*There are some death and rebirth themes already present in the show.  It features prominently in LR's arc and that's likely going to be reflected in the hero's (heroes'?) arc(s) as well.  JTE might have had that "sad premonition" because she may very well die soon, but with time travel as a plot device, that's not to say death may necessarily be final.  

You and me both!

Oh I really really like your thinking! Beautiful thinking as LG might say. Kinda want to quote your entire post :lol: Love the idea that JTE will act in some way due to her sad premonition, that would also mean that her sad scene with future LG will be something she uses to do something to save him/resolve their possibly sad end. It is a clue she has now acquired. 

LL is very arrogant indeed. LOVED the yo-yo boy/Faith boy/deity basically shading him and indicating that he is a villain. 

• Like 11

Wow guys!!!! I just finished watching episode 10 and finally catch up with this thread. Episode 9 was good but episode 10 is even better. I’m loving all the acting from all the actors. they all freaking nailed it! I’m a bit occupy right now and will write down my thoughts later. But now I’m even more sure that there is only one savior. I was kind swinging towards the possibility of two saviour but still hold on to one saviour. 

And that last scene, kinda reminds me of the movie “about time” or/and “time travelers wife”.

that kiss at the end is deep and less PPL, yay!!! Man... I love it, I love it, I love it!

i’ll see you later guys

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Actually that last quote made me think too - if LG is walking through frozen moments in time, HOW MANY SCENES ARE FUTURE LG???   What if he’s moving through the past influencing events as they happen?  He’s sneaking in little moments for himself like the last scene in 10 so he can be with JTE?  When present LG wins and saves JTE, maybe LG will finally be able to rest?  I feel like the coda to the show will be a 2 year time jump to JTE cheerfully wandering past the bookstore right before a happy ending?  Maybe it’s future LG sending a message to Present LG telling him to not give up?

If Future LG is moving through his own history, Imma need to rewatch everything to see which scenes seemed off and figure out which of the LGs are there.

okay I know that the Stark scene was just blatant PPL, but HEAR ME OUT!  Tony had premonitions of what happened, and 1 in 14 million timelines, he only won once by sacrificing himself.  Except I’m sure all the network was thinking during that was PPL

• Like 11
  • Insightful 2

6 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

OMG. This is sad! I need a drink!

:joy:

I’m on here trying to catch up with all the pages but I just had to comment on this. How is it you are able to make me laugh at everything even when it’s sad? :lol::lol::lol: 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

I Feel as if THE Entire Episode 1-9 analysis went for an Overwrite Somehow after Episode 10 and 11 preview. kudos KES.

1. Are now the 2 savious both LG?instead JY/SJ and LG??

2. Is Luna actually JTE from Some Timeline.

3. Does JTE also somehow gets the ability to Reverse Time(cue JY dialog besides the King only you can DELETE IT)

4. What exactly is LR's Portal (Busan Sea, Bookshop or What)

5. How many Timeline Did LG get if not One fixed timeline(998? As per King's Id and Multiple CGI Balloons)

6. How did ES become the Unbreakable sword and JY is under housearrest, do they both imply the right rght hand.Both Helping LG in both worlds but not their Own??

7.Is only one-half of Flute enough for a Time Reset ? Instead of Both??

8.Do I want a Open ending, or Throw my Laptop out any Cry Heartwrenching ending ?

Rewriting my own Theory (Reminding I ain't KES but a Couch Puppet :blink:)

giphy.gif

• Like 9
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

GUYS! I went back to episode 6 and read the words on the flower seed packet she was growing - 相思花, and then I googled what they look like.  I think the flowers he gave her are those!  So they MUST have grown in the mid-universe.  And it makes total sense.

This is why I love the show so so so much.  It’s smarter than I am, and it’s so satisfying when it clicks. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

I went back to episode  1 when they were interrogating  LR.  it was 2020. So both JTE and  SJ  would know who he is..right? I think In the preview JTE tried to stop him from escaping and was badly hurt.  However, the  only clothing that was similar on JTE was the white shirt.  She had a dark sweater on  during the interrogation and had a grey hoodie on in the preview.  I could be totally wrong in my thinking ...lol

The final goodbye at the end of episode 10 LR has  the same outfit he had on in episode 1 standing before  the gateway  with his sword.....  but I think we have too many episodes left for the final showdown.  :crazy:

In episode 10 YoYo boy was so cool .. he was not fazed speaking to LR...It seems he was more perplexed  by the boy.    When  YOYo said he  wanted to see how the story ends....I shouted me too YoYo...please give us a hint (so happy with social distancing,  no one could see me cry and shout at the TV) ..smh

Anyway have safe and great rest of the weekend and week.  Please take care.

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

Ok I’m gonna unlurk again, but who is here, still think that this could have a happy ending? I meant from writing perspective, if I were KES, ending this drama with Lee gonn endlessly looping just to see tae Eul with no end sight, would be repeating Goblin no? So to me, having Lee Gon stop looping and finally let go, would be a proper sad ending. Or.... somehow He figures out the beautiful solution for this, which honestly, since I am

more of liberal art person, I cant really make any theory. 

Just thinking. 

Arghh.... I love this show, and hopefully the cast and crew would see the love it gets however low or high it is

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Fact: Lee Gon wore the same outfit as in opening in ep01. I guess it was before his final battle with Lee Rim and that's why in ep10 he was saying good bye to Te Eul. Maybe after that Lee Rim was caught and was interrogated by the police.

Anyway, what I'm puzzled is Te Eul in the future and her being desperate apparently in Corea injured covered in blood. I hope we'll find about it next week.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

9 minutes ago, Alice_Mady said:

Fact: Lee Gon wore the same outfit as in opening in ep01. I guess it was before his final battle with Lee Rim and that's why in ep10 he was saying good bye to Te Eul. Maybe after that Lee Rim was caught and was interrogated by the police.

Anyway, what I'm puzzled is Te Eul in the future and her being desperate apparently in Corea injured covered in blood. I hope we'll find about it next week.

I’ve always thought that the first bit in ep 1 will be the first scene in the finale!  LG’s reset the timeline, so JTE and SJ has no idea what’s happening and are interrogating LR.  The scene we see of LG is right before or after the final in 10.  He knows that it’s his final goodbye to JTE because he’s either going to fail and die, or succeed and reset everything.  

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4

This is some seriously ambitious storytelling. It's hard even in 2 hour movies, with a bunch of characters and scenes.. what they are pulling here is in some other level. As this series process, I can't believe what I am watching.  I hardly can imagine what actors felt while they are performing.

Theories.. Here is another one picking up things from here and there; 

These two universes are changed timelines. As mentioned in first episodes timelines changed in 1645 when Crown Prince Sohyeon died. Historically Crown Prince Sohyeon died mystery and found dead bleeding from head in King's(his father's) chamber in Seoul in when he was 33 like Lee Gon is at 2020. Also that's the reason one gate is in Busan (in Corea they changed capital in 1945) other in Seoul. My blind guess is, the series will link to 1645 and Lee Gon will take place of his ancestor Crown Prince Sohyeon and continue that timeline. 

I hope I am wrong, since that looks like a sad ending.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

20 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

GUYS! I went back to episode 6 and read the words on the flower seed packet she was growing - 相思花, and then I googled what they look like.  I think the flowers he gave her are those!  So they MUST have grown in the mid-universe.  And it makes total sense.

This is why I love the show so so so much.  It’s smarter than I am, and it’s so satisfying when it clicks. 

@AgentQuake exactly! It is a complex story, and sure the editing has its flaws. But really, if you are paying attention to the detail, it’s very rewarding. 

Good catch on the flowers. So do you think this would have a happy ending? I’m looking for happy ending theory Heheheh 

• Like 8
  • Love 1