[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

Can somebody please explain about this time loop thing? I'm quite confused. I know it's all a theory until we've seen all the episodes. Does it refer to the last goodbye scene? At which part of the story that they are actually from 2 different time?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, wookyoung6 said:

Can somebody please explain about this time loop thing? I'm quite confused. I know it's all a theory until we've seen all the episodes. Does it refer to the last goodbye scene? At which part of the story that they are actually from 2 different time?

It's been a theory since episode 1 when many of us believed the savior of young LG was himself from some other time loop. There were other hints like the number behind the King username and sometimes the words they say to each other cryptically hints at it to the viewers. Like whenever JTE asks LG if he dated before, he would hint she's his only woman but his actions showed he had dated before, so it can be taken as he just kept dating her over and over again. Sometimes it's just based on a feeling like JTE had a feeling their relationship would end shortly. Episode 10 just showed more hints towards it, but KES had been scattering hints since episode 1 if we looked hard enough. But generally most scenes do seem to be of current LG and current JTE. I think the only one that made it more obvious of different time loop is the LG from the end of today's episode. He was wearing an outfit that didn't make sense to current LG's situation. He mentioned about frozen time and bidding her goodbye. JTE had a feeling he wasn't the normal LG she had known.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, zee0123 said:

JY and TE conversation is so deep.

JY told TE besides LG only TE can delete LG wrote. JY telling indirectly to TE that besides LG only TE can end their relationship because LG can't definitely be with her in RK since he is a King to a country. How she can handle it and leave everything and be a queen in KC? Although it hurts but thats the reality. Whatever she chooses it will really hurt her. Leaving everything for her love her family her life in RK then but being a queen is very difficult and big responsibility. But staying in RK and not able to see LG is a different level of torture. So what she will do? :tears:

I just can't handle it.. :sweatingbullets:

If I may offer a bit of hope...

If you watched Crash Landing on You, the ending for the drama was clearly displayed in the introduction - Switzerland

Is it possible the solution to the dilemma between the lovers from different worlds revolves around the construction/restoration of the Gates between worlds?  Consider it formalizing relations between countries on a grander scale - and just like in times past, how were relations between countries  often cemented ... with marriages

LG & JTE will marry and with the flute reforged, new permanent gateways between worlds could be constructed - relations between KOC & ROK would become formal

We all want a happy ending ... so work with me here guys  :blush:

LCO

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5

28 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

3. I saw on twitter that the clothes JTE wears in the preview are the same as those she wears in the video dated 2022. Is this true? And if that the case what does this mean? Will LG be gone for a long time? 2 years?! The fact that the drama made it very clear that it is now 2020 in their respective worlds and that the date of the video is 2022 indicates that it will be important. Also why does the video take place on her birthday the 27th of May? 

It wasn't the same clothes. The 2022, have a blue line near the v neck and the preview have a hoodie in it CMIIW.

As for LG's mom doppleganger, i was just realize that she work at SJ's house previously. 

I heard during the convo between SJ's mom on the phone where JY recognize her. The person says "JiHun is at the same age as SJ so i gave her all the clothes"

Both seemslike just met recently and didn't know that Jihun is passed away. 

So, we can assume that kang hyeon min (real SJ in RoK that always sick) is dead also. It can also assume the connection why SJ mother hired by LR

For the reason why the chief remember the car plat number, it's becouse he's suspicious why SJ looks bothered about the car during eating at the resto, thus he memorize it, just incase.

There were tons of detective dramas that shown this kind of habbitual. No need to surprise.

Afterall, they were the chief, no need to taking care the whole proble. He seems always lonely, thus like dringking out with everybody LoL

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ms_inquiry said:

If I'm being honest I do think since the show has set up the problem of the main characters being from separate universes quite early that it should entail that the story will resolve this issue. That doesn't mean that I think it will (I hope though!!!) but it just means that the ending won't feel happy or even bittersweet at all really if they are separated at the end. LG/JTE sacrificing himself/herself and/or their relationship for the purpose of bringing balance and setting things right and defeating LL will be a morally good/heroic thing to do, but also a tragic end...

That time-freezing is being presented as something wrong and can't keep going on.  Also what seems bleed between one world and the other (how JY and ES both felt JY's too hot coffee, how JTE saw Luna in her rearview mirror, how the pairs between universes keep getting glimpses of each other, etc).  To stop this probably means having to mend Manpasikjeok (or destroy it) and permanently shut the gateways between the universes.  Meaning that door shut forever between LG and JTE..... at least as long as JTE should continue to choose to stay in her world (or that's what LG continued to believe she's done, but yet, as yo-yo kid showed him, there was JTE in May 27, 2022 in KOC).

If they are separated does this mean that he will have to marry someone he does not love for the sake of the Kingdom? The drama keeps bringing up the issue about his need to marry. This worries me quite a bit, not because I believe that people have only one true love in reality - but in dramas such as these that is often in fact the case. Therefore that would be a pretty depressing ending. 

I feel like synonymous with this is JTE in her world who can't seem to move ahead in her profession.  She can't get a promotion and this a sore spot with her from the first ep (and LG mentions her still being a lieutenant and her reaction to that).  No matter how skilled or hard-working a detective she seems to be - every bit as skilled as her colleagues in her squad (even suggests she may be more talented, more dogged in her pursuit of the truth in her cases) - she can't get ahead or recognized for her skill or achievements.  

Between these examples, I feel like there's a suggestion of something missing.  LG hasn't married because he hasn't met the right woman (the right woman being the mysterious policewoman/lieutenant whose badge he's carried since his near-death as a child years prior).

Why can't JTE get a promotion in her world?   Aside from whatever unfortunate mundane reasons like probably some sexism by her superiors.... I feel like what could be suggested here is - no matter how skilled she is at her job - it was never the profession meant for her future.  There was a position far greater meant for her.  Though there's certainly nothing wrong with moisture farmers, but that was never Luke Skywalker's destiny.  There's that destiny entailing vastly more responsibility and duties, dauntingly so (and that'd scare anyone off initially not born & raised into the role), but still one always ultimately meant for the hero (or heroine).  Hence they go on the whole Hero's Journey to prepare them for this grand destiny at the end.  We may even be seeing hints now what role JTE is meant for (her valuing her intuition and the truth, even when those closest to her aren't / can't see what she sees and she seems near consistently proven right doing so.....her sense of justice... her compassion... her willingness to fight for those she cares about & those who can't defend themselves, be "brave" for them, no matter the incredible odds against her).  There is a future great, beloved queen here in the making.  I feel like the evidence pointing this way will only get more pronounced each passing episode.  Possibly culminating in one major final test of some kind, likely ushered in by yo-yo kid directly or indirectly (and a possibility how/why JTE ends up in KOC on May 27, 2022). 

I think the fact she's contrasted so blatantly and strongly with KSR also further (and very strongly) points this direction.  That though KSR may seem a great option for queen on paper and the idea sells some tabloids in KOC, but dig past the surface - as I feel Lady Noh (around monarchs her whole life and raised LG) can see right through her - is someone completely ill-suited not just for LG, but holding that vast (and "eternal") power of co-monarch.  

It's true in so many stories, but it's usually the one who doesn't want that power often better suited to wield that power (as we, the audience, see through their character and actions through the course of the journey), not the ones wantonly, almost desperately grabbing and conniving for it (see: KSR and LL).

If LG finds himself trapped due to defeating LL, time traveling etc. perhaps JTE will save him?

That could be the case.  JTE again seems to be the wild card here.  That for whatever power Manpasikjeok's pieces (or even the whole Manpasikjeok) gives it's wielders, it still doesn't make them omniscient.  

I think Queen JTE isn't just meant to physically save her King (again, like in chess allegory) either, but I think she saves his country from a would-be Queen KSR too (more so as I unfortunately would only see a Queen KSR if she's a proxy to LL).  As it's apparent LG's flat-out "no" hasn't ended her pursuit, but she took it as just another challenge she arrogantly seems to believe can overcome.... by force if necessary ("crush his heart").  Like attempts to force him to make him accept her as his Queen, probably through some sort of manipulation or blackmail.  LG, further along in the series, may be tired of fighting and so dejected (believing there's no hope with JTE/being with her) and feels bound by duty to marry someone to produce heirs and public opinion favors KSR (via her manipulating the press).  

Sadly another reason for LG being dejected/tired of fighting (and vulnerable to LL & KSR) is he could have lost Lady Noh.  This after losing Uncle Jong-in and thinking there's no hope to be with JTE/they can't at all be together?  Lady Noh has flat-out said KSR would only marry LG over her dead body.... and I can't imagine she'd be alive if he's even considering marrying KSR. :cold_sweat:  Regardless of how it happens, considering LL's determination to make LG completely "crumble" before he kills him?  Jong-in is just the beginning, Lady Noh has a huge target on her back.  Target on her back from being loved by LG, but also the fact she taunted the devil himself hiding half of Manpasikjeok / keeping it from LL.

With those ROK newspapers he keeps sending her, all signs seem to be directly pointing to LL about to make a Faustian deal with KSR to make her Queen.... and those two together? :scream:  LL would bring out the absolute worst in KSR. 

It's with LL's help that I could see KSR very nearly achieving her goal.  Except, like with all Faustian deals, she accepts not realizing the true, incredibly heavy cost until it's far too late.  All money is on KSR losing her mother. I'm leaning strongly to LL killing her.  As I could see this functioning KSR to truly and finally open her eyes and we get her Heel-Face Turn.  She turns on LL to avenge her mother / atone for her actions.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun of The King, and their affectionate kiss ..shocking ending

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20200517

Meanwhile, SBS's "The King-Eternal Monarch" special "Are You also a Korean Empire Person?" which contains detailed explanations of "The Parallel Worlds," will air for 70 minutes starting at 12:10 p.m. on the 17th (Today).

http://biz.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202005170740270540313_1

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing I forget every episode and then get irritated by is that the last scene of the episode is at a future point in the timeline.  We see this in episode 6 - next episode shows that their reunion was actually 20 episode minutes later, and it happened again in 8/9.  It happened again in 9/10.  So maybe it's NOT a time looped LG, just that we haven't seen what's about to happen in the next 20 minutes.  Last we saw of him was arriving at the funeral, and then he shows up at JTE's house in a state that even she doesn't really recognize.  I bet you we're going to see the in-between on Friday.

I feel like every time I think about the show I start to contradict myself HAHA.  I love CLOY to pieces and it's possibly one of my favorite TV shows ever, but it never worked my brain as much as this show has.

I honestly have no idea where this is going.  But my faith in the writers and cast has been growing more and more each week, and I'm SO ready for this.

• Like 13
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Thread moving really fast. My thoughts, I think LG must realize that he made a mistake by appearing in front of his citizens, he inadvertently put their lives at risk. I think he did not expect LR to have his minions around. He made a serious mistake and two of his people got hurt. He must also be very touched that ES protected him with his life. You know LG cares about his people. The tides have changed now LG is the one running everything and accompanying ES everywhere. He is now the captain :D. The agent asked who do I report too, totally confused. Now LG is totally alone, he knows he has to fight LR away from people, away from public places so as not to put them in danger again. He is really alone with no JY.  He has his guards but now he leads not the captain, change of hierarchy. LR killed Prince Buyong because he wanted to hurt LG and make him feel alone. The death of Buyong must be totally devastating to LG as he held himself  at the funeral with stature and dignity but you know his heart is breaking and full of sorrow, especially seeing Lady Noh collapse. He was going to leave Buyong to take care of the country should anything happen to him but now there are no heirs and LR would be the king if anything happened to LG.  The weight of responsibility must be double hard on him, the sadness deep. He must be very vulnerable now.  Seems like he rationalizes his reason for marrying her as a mathematical equation. I think @bebebisous33said something similar. However, now he realizes that he truly loves her as a man, no reason or math needed to come to the conclusion, just plain love and wanting to be with her forever.

JY realized that the court lady is the doppleganger of SY's mom. LG comes back to see JTE twice but made no effort to meet JY or find out if there was any new information. Since LR is in ROC, why did he not take JY back with him to fight LR, since ES is in the hospital injured? Maybe because of the siblings but are they really in danger?? The mom is there.  JY could have told LG who the mole is, SY's mom doppelganger,  the court lady, he has seen her many times.  The reason SJ is in ROK is a way to ensure the mom remains a spy if she wants her son to be safe. Missed chance there to catch the mole.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

One thing I forget every episode and then get irritated by is that the last scene of the episode is at a future point in the timeline.  We see this in episode 6 - next episode shows that their reunion was actually 20 episode minutes later, and it happened again in 8/9.  It happened again in 9/10.  So maybe it's NOT a time looped LG, just that we haven't seen what's about to happen in the next 20 minutes.  Last we saw of him was arriving at the funeral, and then he shows up at JTE's house in a state that even she doesn't really recognize.  I bet you we're going to see the in-between on Friday.

I feel like every time I think about the show I start to contradict myself HAHA.  I love CLOY to pieces and it's possibly one of my favorite TV shows ever, but it never worked my brain as much as this show has.

I honestly have no idea where this is going.  But my faith in the writers and cast has been growing more and more each week, and I'm SO ready for this.

Haha so true. The episode never starts from the cliffhanger. As viewers we just like to confuse each other as well as help each other decipher this drama. :sweatingbullets: We need it to be Friday again. But still I do wonder where he got the flowers from or why he randomly thought or bringing her flowers. Also with that tearful goodbye. 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

4. What role will Luna play? LL wants to meet her and will probably use his understanding of human greed and darkness to bribe her to help him. Will it be to try to kill LG? She is a violent person but it is shown that she is not heartless. She was the one with the rabbit jacket, which she then gave to FaithKid. Will she turn on LL - but why would she? Because when it comes down to it she is a good person? LL will probably promise to save her life, as others have theorized.

I also think he's going to promise to save her life and does it glamouring her with his power (via his half of Manpasikjeok).

Except when she realizes he can't (or won't) deliver on that promise?  She's a thief, so what would she steal?  Probably LL's half of Manpasikjeok.  Then she truly becomes the White Rabbit everyone is going to be chasing after.  She might try to use it, but still can't heal herself.  So she's the white rabbit with nothing to lose as she's dying anyway.  Not sure what would convince her to give it up or specifically give it up to (hopefully!) the heroes.  I'd imagine it'd have to be JTE somehow who convinced her?  Maybe JTE vows revenge against LL/make him pay because Luna is already shown to be a character who gets savage payback against those who betray her (if Luna steals Manpasikjeok, that may not have been enough revenge in her eyes, she'd probably want to destroy LL completely/make him suffer)?  That although Luna can't exact that revenge herself, at least her face lives on to do it?  Then JTE becomes the white rabbit with half of Manpasikjeok that's meant to be paired with it's other half... that LG has.  Also with Luna dead from her terminal illness, that's JTE's doppelganger in KOC gone and, in essence, spot vacated for her in LG's world.

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

11 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

Haha so true. The episode never starts from the cliffhanger. As viewers we just like to confuse each other as well as help each other decipher this drama. :sweatingbullets: We need it to be Friday again. But still I do wonder where he got the flowers from or why he randomly thought or bringing her flowers. Also with that tearful goodbye. 

I have a bad feeling that they came from the zone between worlds where JTE spread the seeds - And you just know at some future point she is going to realize that .... Or worse, at some point after/if JTE dies ( can't believe I just typed that )  LG finds them in the zone and brings them back to JTE in the past :unsure:

LCO

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

@1ouise excellent thanks. It's a nice sunny Sunday morning and I didn't want to ruin my mood as playgrounds are finally reopened. And I am watching in between cooking pancakes.

Lee Minho is the best he has ever looked and so I want this drama to be good enough for a rewatch. Since my first few Kdramas included Boys over flowers. I am still trying to get over him and his acting back then. And LMH does have the height, age and acting now years later.

And the 2 male leads are so good.

• Like 7

Good morning ladies. Yesterday, the ending, was truly and awfully heart breaking.  The opening sequence where she was just waiting at the bamboo forest and he happened to appears, they are so synced with each other. Their hearts subconsciously know that the other will be there. Just to touch and hold each other. 

My views, its a giveaway when instead of running towards LG like how JTE usually does, she took a step back, my take is, her heart knew this wasn't her LG. Its LG but not hers in the sense her timeline LG. Something must be wrong especially with how he was dressed. Other than the first episode, whenever he came over, it would be in casual attire but this time it was different. She took a step back and he took the step towards her. The attire he wore, was the same one in one of the trailer where he had the sword by his side and he was about ready to jump into the portal  as if ready for some big battle. To me, it seems as if he comes to tell her what he didn't managed to tell her and that is he loves her very much. (bear with me, I know it's a lot of rambling but my thoughts are coming :D) If you recalled, in the 2022 05 27 cctv footage, JTE was wearing a gray hoodie and jeans, and the preview for next week's episode she was bloodied and was wearing the same hoodie, (perhaps?).  It could be the battle between LG and LR took place in 2022 and JTE was one of the casualty. Either she went to KoC on her own accord or was taken there by LR. She managed to escape and tried to make it to LG. She died in his arms. He maybe by then figure out about time lines and decided to travel back to prevent or change something, so that at least he won't lose her. The LG that came to JTE in Ep10, could be visiting bcos before the mission where he could fail or succeed, he just wanted to see her 1 last time, to tell her he loves her very much and to give her flowers, something which he never had the chance too. I am banking on the hope that the preview we saw was what will happened in the future. I totally shipped these guys. This coupled is not your typical kdrama couple. It shows equal power between two and how rather than change, they adapt, complement, complete and sincerely love each other without falling into the typical stereotype kdrama couple. 

KSJ will not turn rouge. It was JTE who is his light. She was there to keep him on the straight path and he turns to her whenever it gets difficult. In a way, she was his angel. So, nope imo, he will not turn rogue. 

LR said something just as he was about to murder Prince Uncle. He wanted LG to crumble and be despair. So badly that when he launched his attack, LG would be defenceless. The move he didn't make was JTE and he will use that as his pawn. As @Sweetbutters mentioned about Alice in Wonderland, JTE being the Alice is being used as a pawn so the next person to be 'attack' would be JTE.

So the attire LG was wearing could be the one where he would enter the and between 1 and 0, confront the Uncle and end it all.  Even if JTE dies,  just like how in Goblin, JET came back for KS, JTE will come back to LG. And this time, it would be different, she would know him and their love story would have a beautiful solution and answer. 

Sorry for the long rambling. Its just my take. I love you ladies and all the theories, summaries and analysis you guys do. You ladies rock. 

• Like 11
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

I have a bad feeling that they came from the zone between worlds where JTE spread the seeds - And you just know at some future point she is going to realize that .... Or worse, at some point after/if JTE dies ( can't believe I just typed that )  LG finds them in the zone and brings them back to JTE in the past :unsure:

LCO

I also think they're from the seeds JTE spread in previous loops but that's based on the assumption it was previous LG who visited her. I was trying to be devil's advocate to myself if that wasn't a different LG that visited her. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 5