[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

20 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

Another thought: the reason he suddenly disappeared in front of JTE is because time froze, right? So is he only time traveling through frozen moments? The phrasing of his last words to JTE seem to indicate they she will see him after he has traveled through those frozen moments - since he asks her not to worry because he seems to be gone (and the phrasing seem to indicate that those events, her being worried and him being gone, has already happened to him, rather then that it is currently happening to him). However this is only based on the phrasing of those few sentences and might just as well mean that she shouldn't worry because he is not dead, but gone only because he is time traveling.

I also think he's time travelling through frozen moments. Didn't we saw a still for the drama where we were saying LG was wearing a different outfit from the drama scene when JTE was putting up her hair? It was during the frozen moment, so maybe we will see that image later on where he goes back to that frozen moment to see that beautiful image again.

What if in the end, LG's sacrifice is to stay in the world of in-between with the flute so people won't ever be able to use the flute for wrong ever again. So he just stay there forever and sometimes just visits JTE by visiting her throughout all the previous loops. JTE mentioned that LG might stay young forever while she ages so she is going to die even if they resolved the issue. That might just happen. For some reason I feel like the ending is going to be just as bittersweet as Goblin. :tears:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Insightful 4

I'm glad they ease off the PPLs in this episode, and like that they even made fun of themselves with the coffee PPL in front of the police station. But I agreed with many that it seems choppy and not much happen to progress the main storyline. I don't think they can even justify it as non-linear storytelling or time travel, it's just poor editing, imo. I hope that it's just this episode. The preview looks very promising!

As for the romance, when they're together it's cute, so they have chemistry... but i just don't feel emotional invested in them like the drama wants me to be. So the big dramatic scenes where they run into each other's arms or crying in each other's arms or even the last dramatic kiss, they feel like a Hallmark movie, beautifully shot but a bit empty.

I'm interested in solving the mystery, though, and I like the cast of actors, especially WOH as Yeong and ES. I've been watching the drama at 1.5x speed lately, and normal speed for the more interesting parts. I recommend watching it like this for who just want to see what happens next but don't want to sit through the slower pace scenes and PPLs.

• Like 4
  • Unamused 6

I deleted my messages because I came to realize that the website is not from Netflix data itself. They just collected from everyday’s ranking  and then calculated it. Some of friends here have  corrected  me via direct message that the website does not  have the data before it started so some of dramas on the list weren’t counted thoroughly. which all makes sense because the top 10 feature came only a while ago so they don’t have those numbers from January , February and most of March.  I hope this is not causing any chaos. And the moderator can delete it if it does. 

Edited by Aboveall
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

I have become KGE fan while watching this series. I absolutely won't accept her demise 

Omgoodness...what took you so long to become a KGE fan? *winks*

She’s low key multi talented and just has a genuine warmth about her. Glad that you’re on the KGE train. 

“I absolutely won’t accept her demise”

- Elnin Joery

LOVE IT :heart:

• Like 7
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, Aboveall said:

I deleted my messages because I came to realize that the website is not from Netflix data itself. They just collected from everyday’s ranking  and then calculated it. Some of friends here have  corrected  me via direct message that the website does not  have the data before it started so some of dramas on the list weren’t counted thoroughly. which all makes sense because the top 10 feature came only a while ago so they don’t have those numbers from January , February and most of March.  I hope this is not causing any chaos. And the moderator can delete it if it does. 

The following 3 websites regarding all netflix charts are relieable and have good source on Netflix.. 

Most exlusively they site each other while Sometimes Netflix feed them source directly.  

OMDb API

Flixpatrol

What's new on Netflix

Some of the series on top have already got there numbers released by Netflix while the others in the lower of the top 20 mostly don't have it released yet officially but it's mixed example shows like Ozark have it's numbers released earlier this year etc etc while some will get it later but stil the charts for them are mostly on point. 

• Like 5

The first scene clearly says that tae-eul is alive and interrogating lee lim who is powerless and LG is the one who went in past to save himself but somehow stuck somewhere in time loop but he is keeping that ID(in memory of tae-eul).

I don’t think Lee Gon is just simply disappeared here. I think the path between 2 worlds is getting longer, so the time stop when someone crossed it are also longer.Lunar New Year for 2020 is on 25/1. Lee Gon went to Korea on 15/1 and back on 23/1 (8 days). He went there just for hug but it took him that long  . He left her when the time stop. So, from her POV, it looks like he is disappeared .

6ep left  Im not ready!!!

• Like 11
  • Insightful 9

2 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Heard that tomorrow's TKEM Special won't be streamed in Netflix.  Hope an english-subbed version will be made available elsewhere and not just via SBS.  Otherwise a lot of non-SK fans won;t be able to view it.

We will hire a subber somehow :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

20 minutes ago, LorenHaze said:

Omgoodness...what took you so long to become a KGE fan? *winks*

She’s low key multi talented and just has a genuine warmth about her. Glad that you’re on the KGE train. 

“I absolutely won’t accept her demise”

- Elnin Joery

LOVE IT :heart:

Good to see another Go Eun Fan:heart: I will not accept it period! 

JTE:kiss_wink:

tenor.gif?itemid=16934101

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I just realised that preview stills can be scenes before final hug and kiss in Today's episode since that's the pattern of each episode. So something would happen to JTE in first half of next episode?!:tears: 

Also I always had this feeling that LTE romance was shown sped up bcoz this is not the first time that they met:) hence they were able to develop feelings faster. 

Since that confession scene by tae eul the ominous feeling grew, Tae eul's voiceover talking about fate and prince buyeong- Lee gon talking about fate makes me think that they are fated with each other and must find each other in every time loop:rolleyes:

Wish prince Buyeong had met tae eul since it was his and Lee Gon's wish.:anguished: 

PM koo's role could have been sketched out well. I mean at first I thought she makes all decisions but in the end she is shown listening to that old man and now depending on her ex husband and looks like she will be the pawn of lee lim although I feel she would still choose to be loyal to the King and KOC.

Also if this show is going to be sad or bittersweet ending then I will be wary of KGE's next drama because in her past 2 dramas endings were bittersweet or not satisfactory:sweatingbullets: and she also never gets normal guy to date  :Pand she was also involved with accident in previous 2 dramas :o

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

5 minutes ago, Umjicheok said:

I just realised that preview stills can be scenes before final hug and kiss in Today's episode since that's the pattern of each episode. So something would happen to JTE in first half of next episode?!:tears: 

Also I always had this feeling that LTE romance was shown sped up bcoz this is not the first time that they met:) hence they were able to develop strong feelings faster. 

Since that confession scene by tae eul the ominous feeling grew, Tae eul's voiceover talking about fate and prince buyeong- Lee gon talking about fate makes me think that they are fated with each other and must find each other in every time loop:rolleyes:

Wish prince Buyeong had met tae eul since it was his and Lee Gon's wish.:anguished: 

PM koo's role could have been sketched out well. I mean at first I thought she makes all decisions but in the end she is shown listening to that old man and now depending on her ex husband and looks like she will be the pawn of lee lim although I feel she would still choose to be loyal to the King and KOC.

Also if this show is going to be sad or bittersweet ending then I will be wary of KGE's next drama because in her past 2 dramas endings were bittersweet or not satisfactory:sweatingbullets: and she also never gets normal guy to date LOL

Its not KGE's drama but KES has the Open Ending Left to interpretation Concept..Also.KGE has that very natural state to make you feel her pain and rage , that is very commendable. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

Good to see another Go Eun Fan:heart: I will not accept it period! 

JTE:kiss_wink:

to accept it is to accept defeat. no way in hell...not in this lifetime. Haha

that scene was one of my faves. KGE does awkward so cool and effortlessly. :glasses:

My apologies gang..I tried not to quote the gif but failed. :crazy:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, LorenHaze said:

to accept it is to accept defeat. no way in hell...not in this lifetime. Haha

that scene was one of my faves. KGE does awkward so cool and effortlessly. :glasses:

My apologies gang..I tried not to quote the gif but failed. :crazy:

It was cool scene and also the shooting scene was cool. Just watched one of her movies that she was very good. I was impressed

• Like 6

I just finished watching episode 10 and it’s really heavy, adding to the fact that it succeeds a somewhat lighter 9th episode.

FOREBODING TRAGEDY

All the scenes are implicating a foreboding storm. Although we know that tragedy is inevitable and is bound to happen, this is the first time the drama straight out told us, “This is only the beginning. From this point on, nothing should be taken lightly.”

• LG’s helplessness with his encounter with LR.

• ES being shot.

• Prince Buyeong’s death.

• JTE in the preview

ENDING SCENE OF LG AND TE

@Heretorant I really love your take on this. I also believe that:

• LG from the ending scene was his future self. TE realised this when she took a step back. The LG in front of her is not the one from this current time.

• The flowers may have been the seeds JTE planted, as the camera focused on the empty pot after LG vanished.

• He may be travelling through frozen moments.

If this is the case, then I think we all know where we are heading. JTE will most probably die. For now, let’s call this the SINGLE TIMELINE THEORY which is the most likely event to happen based on that single, powerful scene. Future LG is only re-visiting memories. Sort of like the Pensieve in Harry Potter, which is an object that allows the person using it to re-live moments long gone.

Still though, a stubborn part in me wants to believe in the MULTIPLE TIMELINE THEORY. It gives me hope that this drama will end on a happy note. If this theory is correct, then we can assume that LG from that ending scene is LG from a timeline preceding this (probably the one who left the ID). That would also be consistent with his comment “I crossed the universe for you.” And maybe he’s also been hanging out somewhere at the place in-between so that when JTE from the next timeline ages, he’ll be able to meet this version at the very least. I know that this is a bit farfetched, but it’s one thing that leads towards a happy ending, so I keep holding on to it lol. The LG from this timeline will finally be able to save TE although the other LG failed.

(This theory reminds me of Orange, a Japanese manga where the female lead receives a letter from her future self on random days instructing her of what she needs to do in order to save the male lead on that timeline. In the timeline of her future self (the one who sends the letters) the male lead died. But in her timeline, thankfully, bc of the letters, she was able to save the male lead.)

I keep fantasizing about this kind of ending. It’s bittersweet. One version of LG lost JTE forever, but another version was able to save her because they chose to change their fate. I’m sorry I keep emphasizing this theory lol. Just read it and let it rest somewhere away from your minds, and let’s go back to it when something from the plot leads somewhere near.

For now, it’s leading us to the SINGLE TIMELINE PAST vs. FUTURE THEORY.

LR AND FATE BOY’S ENCOUNTER

This is the one thing in this episode that gave me hope. Their dialogues imply on one, subtle, important thing: Fate isn’t with LR. No matter how calculated his plans are, no matter how he carefully shapes his own Fate (not believing in coincidences leading him to kill Prince Buyeong), in the end, Fate is what will bring him down.

STELLAR ACTING OF LMH AND KGE

Guys. I cried at the end!! I didn’t expect to cry so early on the drama. I felt a tinge of bittersweetness with that encounter. Although I haven’t fully internalised what had happened while watching, my brain being bombarded with confusing events... I felt LG’s longing for TE, I heard TE desperately wishing for LG. I felt time slipping away for the both of them. It was so beautifully tragic. The acting was sooo good, especially LMH’s. This isn’t the kiss scene we were asking for, but that kiss really tugged my heart.

Also, ES’s little sister was so cute! Haha. The only light part of this episode so far lol. I still can’t see the significance of the PM’s role though. I can’t comment about the preview, there’s too little information but KGE’s acting surprised me.

Again, sorry for the long post lol. I hope by next week, we’ll finally gain more clues now that everything has been established. :wub:

• Like 10
  • Love 6
  • Insightful 2

Y’all I haven’t read the previous posts yet since I had to go take a long walk to calm down after the episode, but my thoughts and mumble jumble and I need to get them out.

We started episode 5 on the first time loop, or second.  He left the red balloon there to see how time passes.  We know when he brought JTE back, there was still one balloon.  That’s original or second time loop.  I say it could be the second because maybe he had a nagging feeling to mark time somehow.

By the I❤️U in episode 8, they’ve repeated this over and over again.  Which is why she was struck with her epiphany and past love for LG.  At this point, we don’t know what loop they’re in.  But this time, when he crosses the mid universe to get to her, there are dozens and hundreds of red balloons.  I think LG might be leaving one there every time he fails, and maybe also to keep himself sane.  This HAS to be the final loop.

This also tells us that the KTE and LG we are watching right now are not the same ones that we saw in episode 5/6/7 even.  These are their versions that have lived and died through this hundreds and hundreds of times, and they’re fed up and exhausted, and that’s why their love is so intense.  Which in an insane way, would completely destroy all of the comments of their love moving too quickly out of nowhere. It’s a shame those viewers didn’t stick around to see it.  

I mean, there’s NO other reason for the hundreds of balloons to show up there when there shouldn’t even be one left because of bby Eunsup.

LG at the end is probably the final traveler.  For all we know, between the funeral and the last scene maybe he time traveled and looped 148 times again and this is his lightning rod moment (any Flash fans???).  In The Flash, Barry travels through time and his wife Iris is his lightning rod and keeps him connected to the present.  Maybe final LG keeps going back to this moment to persevere on in his mission, and brought her flowers this time.  If the butterfly effect is a real thing, then maybe the flowers are the catalyst to something changing?

In season 5 of Agents of SHIELD, we had a seer who lived with every timeline that ever happened in her brain, making her insane.  She was also a child who communicated her visions using crayon artwork.  Right when the team was about to loop for the infinite time, Coulson scarified his life saving drug so that Daisy could power herself and stop the loop.  Prior to that, Fitzsimmons were leaving themselves clues in the loop so when their past selves looped, they could gain necessary knowledge.  Maybe the kid is KTEM’s Robin Hinton and has seen every timeline?

I think this might be happening and we are now on the final loop.  And because of that, I DO NOT think JTE will die.  But I think she did.  Over and over and over again.  Whether it’s the flowers, or something else entirely...I think something is changing in the timeline. 

OR - this time SJ and LG BOTH loop to save JTE, since they both love her.  

Six episodes only though, it’ll take another three to convince JTE number 256 that the earth is a tiny bit curved. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 13