[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

I had to go back to my "Sageuk" (historical drama) knowledge to understand the conflict of Maximus identity  since the story is related to the Royal Family :glasses: .. and they do use a different set of vocabulary.

So this is the word that I heard:

nari or naeuri   Hangul: 나리 or 나으리

It is equal to Sir / Your Honor / Master 

A term used to officially address officials of the Third Senior to Ninth Junior ranks. It is also used generally by the commoners or lower class citizens to address noblemen.

Maximus is working officially (Seventh Grade Official) so that's why he is entitled to be called nari --> similar sound to Myeong NaRi's (JTE's schoolmate)

This definition is taken from this site - A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO SAGEUK VOCABULARY

In conclusion, Maximus is a HE

*** I appreciate it if those who are well verse to confirm it. Thank you.

@ktcjdrama

lee-min-ho-31.jpg

Credit to the owner

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Deepakmahajan said:

The negative forces are so focused on this drama are too many.  Like some people want it to fail so badly. They have united negative campaign all over the internet. So tragic that hate for writer and actors can take some people too far.

I hope king cast and crew stays strong and get the desired ratings. 

You shouldnt give relevance to trolls its nothing new this been happening forever I have been there many times it comes with the package. They are honestly irrelevant and cant impact the end result. How many megahits did LMH,  and KES get before? 4 times for LMH and 3 times for KES under somewhat similar environments. This show has already taken off all the publicity is good at the end. We will mostly likely get a second season on netflix

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1ouise said:

No killing necessary. :)  LG’s double. It’s a long shot that he’s still alive.

How about hanging could that be necessary. Haha just kiddin:lol::joy: LG's double being alive that would be hell'va surprise and the question would be where hell has he been hiding

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Cara said:

anyway found this. i feel sorry for director Baek Sang Hoon.. he sincerely apologize for the editing in battleship scene. geez knetz seriously :crazy: maybe this is the reason why he is responsible to take over the editing.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/05/director-of-the-king-eternal-monarch-personally-apologizes-once-again-for-controversial-japanese-warship-scenes

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/241/0003020658

As an international viewer, I don't have any complaints about history because unlike Korean viewers and/or history lovers....I don't know any Korean history to begin with. I do have comments for other stuff like plot transitions, inconsistent flashbacks, lack of OST etc2 though.

More comments about historical inaccuracies and knetz reaction under tab..

Spoiler

I find its understandable for knetz to nitpick on historical inaccuracies. Korea and Japan share so much history, and not all of them are pretty and rosy. Korean citizens in general are very nationalist, they can even make their goverment listen to their voices. 

The director/editor/writer/crew (basicly everyone involved with the production) should have been aware of the historical inconsistencies/inaccuracies aka did more research. To international viewers, it may look insignificant but to Korean viewers or history lovers these small details can ruin their enjoyment. Let them voice out their opinions. Hopefully the production team can be more careful with future episodes. 

Eternal Monarch is not the only drama that receives complaints like these. Lots of other dramas recieved complaints too. It's just international media/translation sites sometimes don't pick up complaints for other dramas.

I'm enjoying this drama my own way. I don't see the hidden details many of you here see. I'm also not that enthusiastic to dig up all the hidden clues this drama has. But nontheless I'm excited for ep 7!!

• Like 7

I'm rewatching all the eps again and does anyone else think it's funny that - for all those talismans Lady Noh was desperately planting all over LG's room and even in his wallet (which JTE found! :lol:) for LG to find a lady to marry & have heirs to continue the royal line - her prayers were finally answered by a woman falling practically out of the sky (or a parallel universe) for LG.  And it's the same mythic policewoman whose badge LG has had for 25 years. 

Yet despite Lady Noh's prayers practically answered*, she didn't seem happy about this development.  Even basically warned off JTE not to have (not verbatim) too many dreams in their world.  I guess she had another lady in mind - definitely not Prime Minister Koo, but I guess another royal - but that's not who LG brought home.  I guess Lady Noh is going through a Be careful what you wish for situation, but I imagine she'll warm up to JTE.  As I suspect Lady Maximus will too.  Then the two most important ladies in LG's life come to like/love the new important lady in his life. ;)

*I admit I have limited knowledge of Korean royalty at any point in history, but despite it being in the wrong universe, LG is a king.  Was that marriage declaration in order for him to tell her his name official?  Are JTE and LG actually married, even if not in the most traditional sense?

• Like 10

I just hope the last 10 episodes of The King be K-netizen-complaints-free. I feel bad that LMH has no control over any of this (Editing, directing, music directors, ..).  He has been working so hard, delivers his line so well, and absorbed into his character. Lets just enjoy as much as we can because LMH doesn't play in dramas back to back. He usually takes some time off. I want the cast and crew be strong and happy too. :tears:  The King has been successful in Netflix and episode 6 got positive comments from netizens (we already shared the translated comments in previous pages, check them out ^^ ).  With the change of editor, our drama will be even better from now on. Excited for episode 7!!! :glasses:

• Like 14

17 hours ago, Geolyvseven said:

I mean how in the world can you even notice the difference in warships in a parallel world. It reminds me of that spoon case where they saw the reflection of the idol Victoria was eating with. They seem to be sharp. But I am happy he came out and cleared it immediately tho

The K-netz are really nit-picking. The design of the buildings, the emblem the ships, the Silla crown, etc, etc. Actually is it the Korean viewers or Japanese viewers who are nit-picking?  I would understand if it is a historic drama, it should strive for accuracy but this is a fantasy of a Korea that does not even exist so what does it matter if the buildings, ships, etc aren't accurate. It can be anything you want in a fantasy e.g. Game of Thrones. Much ado about nothing. So the corona-virus pandemic messed up their ability to do certain things. Makes sense. I was watching "Homeland" American series and they had Americans traveling in Humvees going around the city of Kabul which is inaccurate. They should be using M-Raps instead so details are ignored in many movies or TV series. Or they film in Vancouver and claim it is Seattle. :)

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

This is SBS's problem they really don't know to advertise, they made same thing to LOBS era, drama poster released drama first day , we still haven't script reading pics for this drama :wacko: and there aren't new EP pics almost Friday :vicx:

• Like 7
  • Unamused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, katakwasabi said:

The director/editor/writer/crew (basicly everyone involved with the production) should have been aware of the historical inconsistencies/inaccuracies aka did more research. To international viewers, it may look insignificant but to Korean viewers or history lovers these small details can ruin their enjoyment. Let them voice out their opinions. Hopefully the production team can be more careful with future episodes. 

It would be very disappointing if Korean viewers can't move on after the sincere apology that a global pandemic hindered the ability of the production team to make the drama as they had intended.  The team plans to correct the deficiencies of the past episodes, which shows they love Korean history, too--even as depicted in a fantasy drama.  :)

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Geolyvseven said:

It's a great series overall with great production value and raw potential. Could even get a second season as it has done great on Netflix and they usual renew all shows that do good on the network if KES is down with it there is highly likelihood that they will give her 2nd season to solely air on netflix 

That will be great if that is the case.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

This is SBS's problem they really don't know to advertise, they made same thing to LOBS era, drama poster released drama first day , we still haven't script reading pics for this drama :wacko: and there aren't new EP pics almost Friday :vicx:

tvn에서 방영했으면 브금도 그렇고 메이킹도 많이 올려주고 마케팅 잘되서 시청률도 높았을텐데 아숩 ㅜㅠㅠㅠ
If it was aired on tvn, it would have been a lot of marketing, and it would have made a lot of marketing and marketing, so the audience rating would have been high.

You have a good point. I was reading some of the new comments in Naver and your post reminded me of this comment. When I heard news of LMH and KES collaboration, I thought it would be aired on cable TV. I think it would have been better. Kim Eun Sook's last two hit dramas were also aired on tvn. I don't understand why she did not go with tvN as before. SBS needs to advertise more. Release pictures and other stuff please. 

• Like 7

Somebody posted a short BTS of the basketball scene. Swipe left and see how cute KGE is supporting LMH :wub: Also, where is our BTS, SBS? Are you keeping it from us this week because of all the sweet and cute scenes? :phew:

D-1 until the next episode !!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

*** I appreciate it if those who are well verse to confirm it. Thank you.

@ktcjdrama

Haha, don’t know why you tagged me because I am not well versed in Korean. So I will just assume you tagged me to gift me the awesome pic of our King and Lady M :love:

Anyway, I know NaRi from watching sageuk too. Like the title PyeHa as well. So yes, I agree with what you’ve written in your post  ;)  And thanks for sharing the useful link. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Haha, don’t know why you tagged me because I am not well versed in Korean. So I will just assume you tagged me to gift me the awesome pic of our King and Lady M :love:

Anyway, I know NaRi from watching sageuk too. Like the title PyeHa as well. So yes, I agree with what you’ve written in your post  ;) 

Tagged as someone who watched Sageuk... ;) In conclusion Maximus is a HE ... a handsome official working for the King (just a TMI - Korean version) before tomorrow's new episode.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, CallieP said:

That will be great if that is the case.

KES can focus more on it now that she has a world build in place and much easier for her then starting from ground zero and add couple of few seasons on top of it tho obviously shorter with 8 episodes per season. This cast is absolutely great plus it has audience with a great premise fantasy parallel worlds-time travel. There is green light continuity here. I just hope that she dosen't do the same ending like others ending season 1 while having in mind season 2. She should see her script out in this season than she should write another script that continues and builds on season 2 and than go from there and on to the 3rd season. 

The potential is unlimited due to the source material she has in hand currently with time-travel, mystery and intriguing. It will be good as it already has audience on netflix. The main actors should remain (LMHXKGE) for couple more seasons. I think both want to go back to the big screen but doing 3-4 months a year ''The King: Eternal Monarch'' Won't be time consuming and they could still do movies and continue this drama so it won't cause schedule conflict but as for them getting casted in other dramas is just not viable option as they have already done to many recently. Other actors should also get the chance to get casted but using the same actors like LMH and KGE again and again can cause fatigue and not wise so both remaining on this drama is the good outcome for everyone. The audience, screen writer and actors everyone is satisfied 

• Like 4

Paul Kim and Sun Woo Jung-ah join the 'The King' OST .. Lee Min-ho ♥ Kim Go-eun raises love for romance [Official]

202005071032774856_5eb3671fbb473.jpg

[OSEN=지민경 기자] 가수 폴킴, 선우정아 등 정상급 명품 보컬들이 SBS ‘더 킹 : 영원의 군주’ OST 라인업에 합류했다.

The SBS Geumto drama 'The King-The Lord of Eternity' (played by Kim Eun-suk / director Baek Sang-hun, Ji-hyun Hyun / production Hwa & Dam Pictures, Studio Dragon) cannot be prevented from 'blooming of the flower' by Sun Woo Jung-ah, the 7th OST on the 9th of the 9th. ', On the 10th, at 12 o'clock, the 8th OST, Paul Kim's' Dream' will be released.

Despite Sun Woo Jung-ah's 'I can't stop the flower' from being in an uncertain situation of love that cannot be achieved through a parallel world, Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho) and Jeong Tae-eul (Kim Goeun) This song expresses the mind. This song was inserted into the scene where Jung Tae-eul planted the seeds of sanghwa in the last six times to maximize the warm and dreamy atmosphere. In particular, the lyrical lyrics that compare a love heart to a wild flower that blooms even though it breaks through a brick, further impress the listener's heart.

202005071032774856_5eb36720270f6.jpg

202005071032774856_5eb3672072034.jpg

'Dream' was composed of music director Ant, OST hit maker Kim Se-jin, and Paul Kim, who directly compose and write lyrics, and was completed with a song that feels more authentic. OST perfectly harmonized with the play will provide viewers with a deep reverberation and afterglow.

최근 ‘더 킹’이 이곤과 정태을이 애틋한 ‘황실 로맨스’를 선보이며 달달함을 높이고, 이와 함께 이후 전개에 궁금증을 자아내고 있어 극과 조화를 이루는 아름다운 OST들은 시청자들의 몰입도를 높이고 호평을 이끌 것으로 기대된다.

SBS 'The King-Lord of Eternity' is a world of two criminals, the Korean Imperial Emperor Lee Gon, who tries to close the gate of the dimension, and the Korean criminal, who is a civilian sentence to protect someone's life, people, and love. It is a drama that captures the coordination that unfolds across the country, and is broadcast every Friday and Saturday at 10 PM.

credit: https://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111349092

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Geolyvseven said:

As for the whole this won't effect in the least as this is just a minor issue. It will be business as usual. It was on a good note last week and if it continues that same trend it will rebound more and probably hit it's full potential. It's a great series overall with great production value and raw potential. Could even get a second season as it has done great on Netflix and they usual renew all shows that do good on the network if KES is down with it there is highly likelihood that they will give her 2nd season to solely air on netflix 

Yes I saw there are 2 dramas( with high budget) and with low rating and everyone said they are unsuccessful but they talked about season 2 after drama finish, so I think even they are successful so really Netflix earning is really so big 

• Like 11