[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

The amount of people who are NOT interested in the show and the Amount of People closely nitpicking and criticizing  the designs to Micro-Mini level is hilarious. They are watching but for closely finding flaws, how are they so bored? :vicx:

The PR team needs to publicize Netflix Popularity for this for some positivity. Aishh...:confounded:

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Cara said:

anyway found this. i feel sorry for director Baek Sang Hoon.. he sincerely apologize for the editing in battleship scene. geez knetz seriously :crazy: maybe this is the reason why he is responsible to take over the editing.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/05/director-of-the-king-eternal-monarch-personally-apologizes-once-again-for-controversial-japanese-warship-scenes

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/241/0003020658

This online comment had me chuckling

jokerfish675 pts
 4 hours ago

Quarantine got people so bored they are complaining about the historical inaccuracies of a warship in an alternate dimension in a fantasy drama with time travel and a magic flute.

• Like 7
  • LOL 11

3 hours ago, balletgoddess said:

I'm not sure about other language translations, but it's in the drama in English when the coffee shop owner wrote on her board "She's gone"

You’re right! So Maximus is a she after all, thus the title Lady given to her. I also don’t know where the origin of the info that Maximus is introduced as a he in the beginning. 

• LOL 5

1 hour ago, Geolyvseven said:

there is highly likelihood that they will give her 2nd season to solely air on netflix 

I also thought about this just knowing netflix and how they operate they certainly love to give shows that have viewers extra seasons and milk it as much as they can. If KES ever to accept this type of deal she should not go over more than this season + 2 seasons because most of the shows I loved have somehow been destroyed by netflix by over milking it. I am talking about series like ''100'' and they are doing the same with ''You'' and ''Money Heist'' Love Alarm will also get milked until they can go no more further. Some shows can't be automatically carried on but I for one won't mind 2 extra seasons on top of this one for ''The King Eternal Monarch'' as long as KES dosen't run out of material and end up like what happened to ''100'' they just ran it into the ground until they ran out of source material and dragged it couple of extra miles with 6 seasons.

They will have to make every season 8 episodes of 40 mins which will also be alot easier for the production team as it won't be 16 epi with 80mins per epi. I think she should see her script out in this season and than return again with second season on 8 episodes and than the following year. The filming won't have to take longer than 4 months so the actors involved can do other projects and have time for other things in the same year. releasing season 2 in 2021 and season 3 in 2022. It has it's own fan-base already this show who will tune in and the same with these dragged in by the hype they will tune in for the 2 extra seasons.

Another thing I wanna highlight is that both LMH and KGE should remain on this show even if it goes as long as 5 seasons. getting casted in a new drama is just pointless as they have done to many recently but carrying on with the same drama and the same team for few years can be beneficial. They can do other things such as movies on the side but once 4 months a year it's on TKEM filming sets. As for KES she has done many dramas lately and beginning on a new script allover again dosen't seem like a very good idea with new characters and everything it's time consuming but it will be much easier for KES to remain on this show and keep building on her world building inside ''The King Eternal Monarch'' world'' 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have the impression that Luna's appearance and disappearance could be connected to glass: JTE saw Luna in the mirror and Lee Gon lost Luna in front of a huge window.

@bebebisous33Kinda Like when Alice followed after watching Catterpillar through the Glass ?...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I also thought about this just knowing netflix and how they operate they certainly love to give shows that have viewers extra seasons and milk it as much as they can. If KES ever to accept this type of deal she should not go over more than this season + 2 seasons because most of the shows I loved have somehow been destroyed by netflix by over milking it. I am talking about series like ''100'' and they are doing the same with ''You'' and ''Money Heist'' Love Alarm will also get milked until they can go no more further. Some shows can't be automatically carried on but I for one won't mind 2 extra seasons on top of this one for ''The King Eternal Monarch'' as long as KES dosen't run out of material and end up like what happened to ''100'' they just ran it into the ground until they ran out of source material and dragged it couple of extra miles with 6 seasons.

They will have to make every season 8 episodes of 40 mins which will also be alot easier for the production team as it won't be 16 epi with 80mins per epi. I think she should see her script out in this season and than return again with second season on 8 episodes and than the following year. The filming won't have to take longer than 4 months so the actors involved can do other projects and have time for other things in the same year. releasing season 2 in 2021 and season 3 in 2022. It has it's own fan-base already this show who will tune in and the same with these dragged in by the hype they will tune in for the 2 extra seasons.

Another thing I wanna highlight is that both LMH and KGE should remain on this show even if it goes as long as 5 seasons. getting casted in a new drama is just pointless as they have done to many recently but carrying on with the same drama and the same team for few years can be beneficial. They can do other things such as movies on the side but once 4 months a year it's on TKEM filming sets. As for KES she has done many dramas lately and beginning on a new script allover again dosen't seem like a very good idea with new characters and everything it's time consuming but it will be much easier for KES to remain on this show and keep building on her world building inside ''The King Eternal Monarch'' world'' 

I whole heartedly love this tv-show and it's mostly due to the premise and won't mind seeing 2 more seasons it would be so awesome and great. But I hope not the writer gives us some lame open ending due to it while having another season in mind. She should see her script out completely without killing major characters except these she can replace then write season 2. I am all in lets do this. Can you imagine this thread running for 3-4 years we will be theorizing stuff until eternity forever and ever

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I have the impression that Luna's appearance and disappearance could be connected to glass: JTE saw Luna in the mirror and Lee Gon lost Luna in front of a huge window.

Thought the same! In some fantasy movies, mirrors/glass can be a "portal" to a different dimension. In this case, maybe different timelines & universes. Maybe LG doesn't know yet that there can be other portals other than the bamboo forest that he first discovered.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

What this got even more confusing when you wrote that. care to elaborate

I am not sure if @bebebisous33 meant like Alice through the Looking Glass theory about Luna, but there is a wiki page about it.Until then I will wait for the actual theorizer to elaborate :D

• Like 2

OSEN | 2020. 05. 06. 2:56 AM

''The King: Eternal Monarch'' director speaks out to apologize for ''Japan-biased'' controversy

07FE0225-6E0A-428D-88BC-9A5E870EAD80.jpg

Director Baek Sang Hoon of "The King: Eternal Monarch" stood out to apologize for the recent "Japanese-biased" controversy.

Director Baek Sang Hoon is the man-in-charge of the Dri-Sat drama ''The King: Eternal Monarch'' (SBS). On May 6, he spoke out about the controversy through the drama's official website, "First of all, whatever the reason, as the drama's director, I'd like to extend a sincere apology for causing such controversy."

Earlier, episode 6 of the drama "The King: Eternal Monarch" aired on May 2 depicted a sea battle between Korean Empire and Japan. However, a controversy started to break out when Japanese navy ships in this scene created by CG were similar to Korean warships under the Dynasty of King Gwanggaeto, King Sejong and General Yi Sun Shin.

Director Baek Sang Hoon said, "There have been many criticisms recently at the resemblance between a real Korean warship and a Japanese warship crafted through 3D and CG in the scene of a fantasy sea battle between the Korean Empire and Japan that appeared in episode 6 aired on May 2. However, what I can confirm is that we do not have any intention to build a Korean warship with the Japanese flag, or cause misconceptions between Korean and Japanese warships."

Then, he went on to explain, ''First of all, the scene in question was filmed in mid-January and we originally planned to complete the scene by open-sourcing reference materials. The Japan-related part was going to be documented in late January for CG insertion. The missing details were prepared through the purchase of materials and 3D production. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we couldn't shoot the materials abroad and couldn't film in Korea either because of the prolonged pandemic. Finally, we had to focus on the actors and instead, used filmed footage, open sources, bought documentary videos and performed 3D manipulation. Since I am not a professional I was not able to precisely differentiate between the particular warship designs of each country which look quite similar at first glance. Furthermore, despite the thorough check on all details of the actual drama, I made a mistake when choosing materials by the script-centered method."

Director Baek Sang Hoon also apologized, ''Although this is just the conflict between fictitious Korean Empire and Japan, I should have invited experts to check to prevent possible errors, but I thought carelessly. I sincerely apologize for causing disturbance to the audience because of my carelessness. I did not fulfill my responsibilities even though I should have considered the smallest points and had the ambition to take the situation and time as an excuse to cover the shortcomings.

Finally, he clarified, ''In the future, I promise to scrutinize even the smallest details and become a person who knows well the country's history before directing. Once again, I would like to express my most sincere apology to the viewers. We promise to edit, change the contents that were criticized on the resemblance with Korean warships as soon as possible so as not to cause any disturbance to viewers who watch the drama through re-broadcast and VOD both in and outside Korea."

34449231-3DAF-44D4-A40D-3D07BBEEEB92.jpg

The whole stance of director Baek Sang Hoon is as below:

I am the director Baek Sang Hoon of the drama ''The King: Eternal Monarch''

There have been many criticisms recently at the resemblance between a real Korean warship and a Japanese warship crafted through 3D and CG in the scene of a fantasy sea battle between the Korean Empire and Japan that appeared in episode 6 aired on May 2.

First of all, whatever the reason, as the drama's director, I'd like to extend a sincere apology for causing such controversy.

However, what I can confirm is that we do not have any intention to build a Korean warship with the Japanese flag, or cause misconceptions between Korean and Japanese warships.

First of all, the scene in question was filmed in mid-January and we originally planned to complete the scene by open-sourcing reference materials. The Japan-related part was going to be documented in late January for CG insertion. The missing details were prepared through the purchase of materials and 3D production.

However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we couldn't shoot the materials abroad and couldn't film in Korea either because of the prolonged pandemic. Finally, we had to focus on the actors and instead, used filmed footage, open sources, bought documentary videos and performed 3D manipulation.

Since I am not a professional I was not able to precisely differentiate between the particular warship designs of each country which look quite similar at first glance. Furthermore, despite the thorough check on all details of the actual drama, I made a mistake when choosing materials by the script-centered method.

Although this is just the conflict between fictitious Korean Empire and Japan, I should have invited experts to check to prevent possible errors, but I thought carelessly.

I sincerely apologize for causing disturbance to the audience because of my carelessness. I did not fulfill my responsibilities even though I should have considered the smallest points and had the ambition to take the situation and time as an excuse to cover the shortcomings.

In the future, I promise to scrutinize even the smallest details and become a person who knows well the country's history before directing. Once again, I would like to express my most sincere apology to the viewers.

We promise to edit, change the contents that were criticized on the resemblance with Korean warships as soon as possible so as not to cause any disturbance to viewers who watch the drama through re-broadcast and VOD both in and outside Korea. Sincerely, Baek Sang Hoon.

OSEN = Reporter Seon Mi Kyung /seon@osen.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive 
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Geolyvseven said:

I whole heartedly love this tv-show and it's mostly due to the premise and won't mind seeing 2 more seasons it would be so awesome and great. But I hope not the writer gives us some lame open ending due to it while having another season in mind. She should see her script out completely without killing major characters except these she can replace then write season 2. I am all in lets do this. Can you imagine this thread running for 3-4 years we will be theorizing stuff until eternity forever and ever

It would great news. Once I hear the show is renewed my reaction will be over the top excitement. I am anticipating this now. It would be great for everyone. 

@madmad min

Hahah. Okay. you are excused. We will wait for the author

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, madmad min said:

I am not sure if @bebebisous33 meant like Alice through the Looking Glass theory about Luna, but there is a wiki page about it.Until then I will wait for the actual theorizer to elaborate :D

I haven't read this story but thanks to you, this could be the explanation for my observation.

• Like 2
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 2

5 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I haven't read this story but thanks to you, this could be the explanation for my observation.

BINGO !! :grimace:

10 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

It would great news. Once I hear the show is renewed my reaction will be over the top excitement. I am anticipating this now. It would be great for everyone. 

@madmad min

Hahah. Okay. you are excused. We will wait for the author

I will prefer Netflix season 2 , since it seems more intriguing to International and VOD audiences more. This story can be EPIC if played more correctly. ( I say more cause for me it already is ) :w00t:

• Like 4

308d6406f7194e5b9b32ade343834d6f.jpeg?s=

“The King: Eternal Monarch” Producer Issues Apology About Depiction Of Japanese Warships

“The King: Eternal Monarch” has been swept up in another controversy.

The drama features two parallel universes: one with a democracy that is similar to modern-day Korea and one that is an alternative universe in which Korea is an empire ruled by a monarch. Emperor Lee Gon (Lee Min Ho) and detective Jung Tae Eul (Kim Go Eun) work together to protect the ones they love and close the portal between the two worlds.

Previously, the drama received criticism for appearing to have used images of buildings that are similar to Japanese temples while depicting the fictional Korean Empire. Some viewers also saw similarities between the Imperial Seal for the fictional Korean Empire and the real Imperial Seal of Japan.

Another controversy erupted over episode 6, which contained a naval battle scene between the Korean Empire and Japan. It was pointed out that the Japanese warships with Japanese flags were similar in design to current Korean warships.

This controversy can be better understood in the context of the long history of conflict between Korea and Japan. Modern-day negative sentiments about the country are often tied to Japan making Korea its imperial colony in 1910, which led to further issues such as Japan’s use of Koreans as forced laborers and “comfort women” (sexual slaves) during World War II. A recent trade dispute between the two countries has also heightened animosity between the nations. Apparent depictions of even a fictional Korean history that appears to have been influenced by Japanese tradition has therefore become a controversy.

the-king-eternal-monarch1.jpg

On May 6, “The King: Eternal Monarch” released a statement from producing director (PD) Baek Sang Hoon that reads as follows:

This is Baek Sang Hoon, the PD of “The King: Eternal Monarch.”

There has been a lot of criticism over episode 6 that aired on May 2 because of a naval battle scene between the fictional Korean Empire and Japan. The criticism is about the similarity between the Japanese battleships that were edited using 3D modeling and CGI and the currently existing Korean battleships.

As the director, I sincerely apologize for causing this controversy, regardless of the reason.
But I can tell you that we did not intend to put a Japanese flag on our Korean warships or to mislead viewers into mistaking our Korean warships as Japanese warships.

First of all, we were planning to film the scene in Korea around mid-January and use open source reference materials. We prepared to film the materials needed for CGI effects in the Japanese part overseas at the end of January, and we planned to purchase materials and use 3D editing for the incomplete parts.

However, due to COVID-19, it became impossible to shoot overseas, and the prolonged COVID-19 situation made it impossible to shoot domestically as well. In the end, we resorted to using scenes that focus on the actors as well as open source resources, paid video reference materials, and 3D editing.

However, because I am not an expert [in warships], I did not recognize the specific characteristics of warships that look similar to each other, and even though I should have checked every detail of the actual data, I made the mistake of choosing the data mainly based on the storyboard.

Even though we were dealing with a conflict between a fictional Korean Empire and Japan, we were still complacent and should have let experts supervise the content to prevent possible errors in advance.

I sincerely apologize for causing discomfort to the viewers due to my desire in wanting to make up for the incomplete parts using the current situation and lack of time as an excuse as well as my complacency of not checking every detail even though I should have.

In the future, as a citizen who understands our nation’s history, I promise to pay careful attention to all details. Once again, I apologize.

I also promise to revise the controversial scenes in which [the Japanese warships] look similar to Korean warships as soon as possible so that viewers do not feel uncomfortable watching re-runs and VOD content domestically and abroad.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1398624wpp/the-king-eternal-monarch-producer-issues-apology-about-depiction-of-japanese-warships

LMH twt update

(I know it's hard to choose, but...)
What's your favorite look? 

SBS drama [The King: Lord of Eternity]
Television every Friday and Saturday at 10 p.m.!

EXUm_EKUMAEdZud?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1