[Drama 2019] Melting Me Softly, 날 녹여주오

liltash85

1 hour ago, midorinokerochan said:

Hello everyone.

First post in this thread, even though I have been reading for a while. As we are heading into the second week, with just mere hours to go before episode 3, I wanted to throw in also my 2 cents about MMS. 

The quick version:

Based on what we have seen so far...

1. is this drama perfect? No, far from it, imo.

2. is it enjoyable? Yes, very much for me.

3. am I going to keep watching and looking forward to what comes next? Yes, by any means. And not just for JCW.

Elaborating a little bit...

1. It is definitely not perfect. I honestly understand, and to a certain extent agree with, a lot of the criticism I have read here and elsewhere. 

Like others, I think the editing and directing could have been different to make the 2 set-up episodes (especially ep 1) faster and more gripping and compelling. 

Then some inconsistencies... In particular the "how on earth they managed to simply get up after 20 yrs being frozen (well, at least they did look pretty bad...), find their belongings and leave the lab to find themselves in downtown Seoul???" bugged me too, especially while live streaming. Let me clarify: of course if I decide to watch a drama about frozen human beings who wake up after 20 years I am fully ready to suspend disbelief about the whole freezing and thawing process as well as the need to keep the body temperature below 33 °C. But in order for the sci-fi element to work, we usually need all the other details to be perfect and believable. And this didn't happen here. Anyway, I trust that as we fully settle into year 2019 and the present story, there won't be more head-scratching moments like that one.

Finally, I don't really consider it a fault or a weak point but... the slapstick humor. I am aware it's not everyone's cup of tea. Based on the writer's previous work SWDBS, I guess we'll have to expect more of it. We'll see how much exactly and how it is handled... I am personally ok with slapstick as long as it doesn't overshadow everything else. Let's see. In any case, we've got to accept that not everyone will like it. That's ok. You can't please everyone... 

2. Despite what I just wrote, I can honestly say that I enjoyed the first two episodes. Not just for the JCW eye-candy or because I am super happy to see Wookie back on my screen, even though this is a factor too. 

Some good points in no specific order:

There were several funny moments that made me laugh out loud.

I liked the choice of bgm. 

I liked both Ma DongChan and Go Miran  and I am eager to see more about them. 

I found Hongki and Baro really good playing the younger versions of MDC's assistant and GMR's boyfriend.

Brilliant casting for the young and old versions of the characters in general. It is actually almost believable that they are the same people. And Kim WonHae playing MDC's dad in 1999 and MDC's aged brother in 2019 is genius. 

Great acting - just as I expected - by both the main leads. And the supporting characters (with maybe one exception) were really good too. Now I am looking forward to seeing all the sunbae actors in their roles.  

Last but not least: I liked the second episode more. The pace was much better, and seeing an improvement can only make me happy and confident about what it is to come. 

3. I am definitely curious to see how the story progresses and how the characters will be developed. Of course I am looking forward to the romance, since based on the very few glimpses we saw in the previous ep and in the previews we can expect great chemistry between MDC and GMR. But not just that: I really see a lot of potential for the story and the characters' growth. There are so many aspects from the funny to the more serious ones to explore. I am sure that there will be many amusing scenes as our hero and heroine adapt to life 20 years "into the future". But I also hope there will be time to explore how the 2 feel realizing that they have missed 20 years of the lives of their loved ones, 20 years of the world's happenings; that all the people they left are now in a different place in their life; that they have the looks and experience/dreams/expectations of people in their twenties and early thirties, but are in fact 44 and 52 years old... For instance, I really laughed when the lady at the police station asked MR what cosmetics she uses upon realizing that the pretty girl before her is actually 44 years old, but I am expecting that all these aspects won't be used just for comedy but will also receive a more serious treatment. No doubt that both JCW and WJA can pull off all the nuances brilliantly if they are given the opportunity, so there is really a lot I am looking forward to.

Can't wait for ep. 3 in just a few hours. And today I am also looking forward to Laborhood on Hire guest starring Wookie and Im WonHee.   :heart:

I agree with you one hundred percent.

I came for the fun, and I am pretty sure it's gonna be a fulfilling ride. 

I also don't want to analyse and nitpick too much, because it's like  putting breaks on a fun ride. And also it ain't that bad.

Seen dramas with worser storylines, and humongous plot holes...lol. 

I loved the second episode way, way more than the first. 

Now waiting for the 3rd.

Yay!! 

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 3!!!

Ok, I'm just going to pretend that 1 & 2 didn't happen OR were squashed/edited/rewritten in parts into one segment.

Overall, I'd say a solid episode. Tone and pacing are still an issue with the show but it has taken a turn for the way better this week. As in "I am no longer thinking of dropping the show" better! (Yay, I was really worried after last week).

Originally the only story I was invested in was GMR's. The reunion with her family, and in particular GNT, brought a tear to my eye. So well acted and directed all around. Probably the best scene so far. I still don't buy her initial reasons for agreeing to do the experiment BUT her relationship with her brother and parents overshadows all my grumbles. WJA's performance was on point and she handled the pathos and the humour of the character very well. HWAITING! (the Kill Bill montage had me in stitches).

MDC... poor guy his confusion for how to address his younger siblings and hubae were so well played out by JWC. I'm going to go with the flow on the more slap-stick family relationship with this family because they really can pull it off. And the niece is on point. The reunion with NHY was difficult. They'd built such a loving and supportive relationship and to see them at a serious point of conflict was... I'm not sure... The writing felt a bit stilted but JWC and YSA brought the emotions. This is another reason why I'm ignoring eps 1 and 2... I need to relinquish my investment into their relationship pronto so that I don't reach into drama world and tell both NHY and GMR that MDC is fickle as they get! (jokes aside, I really will mourn NHY and MDC's relationship).

I am finally interested in the story between our leads' relationship! MDC's immediate concern for GMR lays the ground work for everything we've seen in the teasers/trailers--and thankfully is a complete 180 from the "I don't know who she is" eps 1 and 2 (more reason to forget they happened). I'm really hoping for a slow burn because I like this camaraderie a lot and the idea that they slowly realise their feelings are changing as they bond over their ridiculous situation. I hope we see the BTS for their scene together because it looked like they were having a BALL. 

The support cast is brilliant, but that goes without saying. Some of my favourite actors and actresses getting to just have fun is always worth it. And the child actors have been really good, special shout out to young GNT for a very nuanced performance from a child actor.

Any fears about rating are gone. Will probably hit 10% if they can keep doing what they did for this ep (fingers crossed).

I'm a little confused by the lack of BTS... Do we only get one a week for both episodes?

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 5 October Episode 3 Broadcast:

Nielsen Korea: 3.163% National (-0.014%); 3.278% Seoul (+0.42%)

TNmS: 3.2% National (+0.0%); N/A* Seoul

*Looks like TNmS is not gathering daily data on Seoul viewership anymore, as that information has dropped off their site.  Anyone else see that?

"Laborhood on Hire" Episode 6's TMnS ratings also came in at 3.2%, so both of Wook's 5 October cable broadcast programmes finished at #1 and #2!!!

EGJ_PjCU8AAhRCV.jpg

I'm still on the fence on this one. Will keep watching, but there are things that get on my nerves a bit. (Ie the over the top slapstick. I strongly disliked that about SWDBS as well, so it is what it is. It's just hard for me to find it humorous or take it too seriously when EVERY character is like this. I feel like it would have more impact if it was toned down a bit.) That said, there were several moments in ep 3 where I found myself tearing up, especially with the girl's family. The moment when she reunites with her brother was the strongest for me. But I like her whole family. (I also like the mother-daughter casting; both of those actresses have lovely low voices and they match. :) ) I also found the 20 year gap between JCW and his past (now older) gf quite poignant. 

I really like JCW and WJA so I'm still watching, despite the slapstick. Ep 3 was the best of the lot so far. (Haven't seen today's ep yet.) I'm looking forward to more interaction between JCW and WJA, as they are the only ones who really understand the shock. They share a world now, which should make things interesting.

Ep 4...

The tone is still iffy... which was hard for me in this episode. I ended up skipping around--mainly the slapstick stuff. Probably not going to watch with subs and just watch raw since I can understand enough to get me through. I'm sticking with but after this not sure if I will continuing commenting... To be honest, the main reason I'm watching now is because the actors and actresses seem like *they* are having a lot of fun. 

GMR is by far my favourite character. I love her devotion to Oppa and that he would have lived if she hadn't been frozen (out of character-ish but highlights her youthful fangirling). Really curious about how she will respond to a guy 20 years younger than her flirting/crushing. WJA is really pulling off the rollercoaster writing; one min depth and seriousness the next full on slapstick--which is starting to grate with each passing scene.

I'm finding the writing for MDC all over the place--they are trying to get his character to do too much. Not really able to say more than that... JWC pulling his scenes along through sheer force of will in some cases (but he looks like he is having a blast!).

I'm glad that they added some conflict between MDC and NHY that will (eventually) lead them to part ways... and it is a conflict that isn't coming out of the blue. It will (hopefully) make the love story between MDC and GMR less "oh now we like each other" and more organic... but I'm never a fan of characters that fall in and out of love so quickly. 

Other than tone and pacing, the real flaw of this drama is that there are too many characters. The best dramas (imo) are ones that stick with a core of about 8-10 characters (2 leads; 1/2 second leads; 4/6 supporting characters)--this does not include ensemble dramas like the Reply series (though 1997 only had 9 central characters). In MMS, I think there are 2 leads; 2 second leads; 6 around GMR; 5 around MDC; plus mad scientist & mystery crowd (5 people). 20 people, all of whom are important characters we need to know about to follow the story. I just hope that all the plots are resolved in the next 12 episodes... with this writer? I'm not sure.

I was really surprised by the ratings... I thought it would be higher now that people have had time to stream it, read reviews... but perhaps the initial not so positive kick-back has put people off...

56 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

IMHO, I'm not sure that these characters are falling in and out of love quickly. DC had these feelings for HY from before his period of being frozen, so it makes sense for him to have to resolve them. However, I was thinking about how I would feel if (even without a time jump) someone I thought loved me made no efforts on my behalf after I disappeared. It would make me look at that person in a new light and question the feelings that the person had for me, as well as whether I really knew him. Couple those questions with the DC's acceptance that 20 years had passed for HY to move on, and I can see him letting HY go.

As for MR, she was already pretty much over her boyfriend before she was thawed.

I think the organic part of DC and MR falling for each other will have something to do with the fact that they were in the experiment together and are now changed, possibly permanently. DC is a responsible person who already feels a lot of responsibility for MR, and with his discovery that their body physiology has changed, that sense of responsibility will only get bigger. MR is probably going to feel that DC may be the only one who truly understands her situation. And, it doesn't hurt that both DC and MR are attractive people as well. :)

Agree. Especially about NHY's not doing anything and MDC being upset... (that was the conflict I was talking about)

GMR... hahaha... did she even like him to begin with? I think she was more in love with her Mando-pop Oppa... :P

I don't think it is happening "fast"--more that it could have been one of those "Oh we need to resolve NHY quickly so that we can get into the real love story" but they aren't going that route which is a relief. I think it will be a good love story; and, you are right, it doesn't hurt that they are both attractive... I mean wouldn't you?:D

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Episode 5 preview

MR: So, you’re saying that I should be an intern for 3 months?
College Boy: Anyway I think about it, she’s strange. There is something there.
PD: Dong Chan! Don’t raise an uproar.
DC: Why do I have to tell lies like that?!
DC: You knew as well, but just like the other people on the program, you didn’t try to find me either?
MR: Do we have to keep living this way?
MR: It’s really fascinating.
MR: Why were we locked in the freezer truck? Why (the truck)?
DC: Hey, are you okay? Mi Ran! Go Mi Ran! Hey! Wake up!
DC: I’m sorry.

Thank you for the preview translation.

I haven't watched any of the episodes, been a little busy to catch up on weekend dramas.

I'm glad the romance will be starting soon for them. Also I'm really looking forward to how they are going to fix their temperature problem.

[Ratings] "Melting Me Softly" 6 October Episode 4 Broadcast:

Nielsen Korea: 3.201% National (+.038%); 3.250% Seoul (-.028%)
TNmS: 3.7% National (+0.5%)

Holding fairly steady so far.  Looks like the K-viewers are slowly warming up to the show!

I’m really falling hard for this OTP. At the beginning of every story the main characters have always flaws or issues they need to deal with and the set-up serves as the catalyst. The cryogenic experiment showed that while Ma Dong Chan is a good person, he is also rather cocksure and selfish, caring only about his ambitions, goals and dreams, not really thinking about how his actions might affect others, be it his family, his girlfriend or co-workers. He is also basically friendless. The whole debacle really shows him what a huge jerk he’s been and deflates his ego which is a lesson he’s been long overdue. 

OWpgtAy.jpg

And the first time DC became concerned about another person was MR back in 1999 when he tried to stop her from participating in the experiment. She managed to stir something inside him, to finally put someone else before his own interests and this is where their story picks up 20 years later, with him worrying about her again. It’s her who manages to get through him to the point where he assumes responsibility for what happened after realizing that she will suffer after effects of the freezing which might put her life in danger. However, even before DC calls MR to immediately let him know whenever she feels sick, it’s the little things which reveal how much Dong Chan already cares about MR without even knowing it himself: the way he remembers her phone number by heart even though he previously couldn’t have been even bothered to learn her name, opening the car doors for her, pouring the iced water for her,…

UcXZ1SG.jpg

They are really made for each other because Dong Chan finally meets someone about who he cares more than himself and it’s only fitting that person ends up being Mi Ran who spent most of her youth caring about everyone else but herself. I really want to see Dong Chan cherish and treasure her and catter to her every need the way the precious girl deserves.

0x1Y5MH.jpg

Archived