[Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸

larus

37 minutes ago, larus said:

I already said my opinion. It is the same.

Mother of Mine was extended not because of high ratings but because the next drama is not ready to air yet. This happened with Mother of Mine as well. It was pushed back airing a few weeks and My Only One was extended with 6 episodes. My Only One had  higher ratings than Mother of Mine  but it was not extended because of that. KBS weekend drama has higher ratings anyway. I am sure the next drama will do good in ratings too.

I remember that the casting of Mother of Mine was announced late, they changed the PD, they start filming late. Now, we see that the filming schedules are very tight. The new drama has to have a few episodes filmed before the drama starts airing. That`s what I think.

It was unnecessary to give Sun ja a deadly sentence. I know it is life, people are getting sick all the time in real life but I think once again the writer chose this route because of lazy/ uninspired writing.

She did not have many ideas to begin with. We saw how she has improvised to fill the last half of her drama. I don`t understand why she did not give Sun ja a health scare and not a deadly verdict. It is a soap opera anyway. At least, the drama would have ended on a good note for everyone.

The "villians" of this drama are pathetic but they, at least, will have a better ending.

From what he said he built it. Yeah, totally unbelievable. The writer distroyed his character over the drama. It started OK but what the writer forgot that  actions speak volumes about a character. The writer put on him the abandonment of Mi Ri (when it did make any sense to separate a mother from her daughter), he became a fool when his younger wife came in the picture, we saw how poorly he handled the relatives of In Sook and Na Hye Mi over the years. He is not dangerous because other characters are telling us that he is.   

I can`t take him serious anymore. He just yells. Sorry, but he became a caricature.

Of course, the heroes need antagonists. The writer creats unpredictability adding villians, or other conflicts or situations to overcome. I love when a show give me strong and complexed villians. It was not a case in this drama.

I am glad that Mi Ri was portrayed as a strong woman and the writer did not weaken her much.  She is capable woman, who work hard on her own to get to the top but she did not have really obstacles. Na Hye Mi and her brother? :lol:

Two incompetent siblings. What assets Na Hye Mi has other than being young and beautiful? She has power in the family because she influences the Chariman. For that, her husband has to became a fool.

It is hard for me to believe that they have people who will follow them in Hansung Group. I know there are opportunistic people out there but I am sure they will follow strong/ powerful people not just a title.

MR and TJ are quite consistent characters so I am guessing the writer has living models. There are also strong capable women in other shows and young, good hearted chaebol types too. But IS being a middle aged professional which is supposedly a complex character is not very common. Anyway not in the shows I have seen. The writer is probably putting a collage of characters from a few places. Apart from saying how wonderful and powerful corporate woman she is, show her making some difficult decisions in the office. So far her 'business acumen' had been to bribe Director Park. Her obsequious behaviour in dealing with the Chairman is not that of a hard-nosed biz type. The writer should just model her on one of the real women in history, Elizabeth I or Catherine Medici or Korean historical figures. That should make a more believable character.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, maribella said:

But IS being a middle aged professional which is supposedly a complex character is not very common. Anyway not in the shows I have seen. The writer is probably putting a collage of characters from a few places. Apart from saying how wonderful and powerful corporate woman she is, show her making some difficult decisions in the office. So far her 'business acumen' had been to bribe Director Park. Her obsequious behaviour in dealing with the Chairman is not that of a hard-nosed biz type. The writer should just model her on one of the real women in history, Elizabeth I or Catherine Medici or Korean historical figures. That should make a more believable character.

Another character that was waste. In Sook could have been so much more.  When Mi Ri said in the last episode "Mr Jeon was great at what she did" (in the office) I responded: "When?" When she cried in the office all the time, when she was being submisive in front of the chairman, when she was drank? I did not see how great she was. Yes, what she did was bribe Director Park and trying to put Mi Ri in a worst spot with the chairman in the golf club.

But I like how she stand against Na Hye Mi and Chairman because she doesn`t have anything to lose.

I will watch LIVE the next episode now.

Mi Ri is confronting the Chairman. She tells him what she feels about him, what he did to her in the past. It was a needed scene.

The doctor is telling Sun Ja that she is very ill. She is asking how much time she has. :tears:

43 minutes ago, monalisa said:

Is it true that KBS will be cutting down on many programs including dramas?

Yes, it is cutting the Monday-Tuesday drama time slot and other programing. They are making the episodes shorter to 50 minutes per episode. KBS is facing financial difficulties.

More information

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2019/08/kbs-reviewing-whether-to-cancel-monday-tuesday-drama-times

https://www.soompi.com/article/1339907wpp/kbs-faces-large-deficit-for-2019-plans-to-cut-down-on-programs

Today episode.

It is hard to talk about this episode after Sun Ja receive such devastating news.

As I said, I like the confrontation between Mi Ri and Chairman Han. It is up to him to understand that Mi Ri is an asset for him in a family and in the company. It seams that he told his son Tae Joo to come back.

I like that In Sook put Hye Mi in her place. The nerve of that woman to come to In Sook`s house and insult her and her family. It was a good slap.

Jin Soo`s immaturity has no cure. He was happy that he will be alone at home but his boss heard him and put him to stay after program. Or they went for drinks? He came back home late and lay down on the floor to sleep. :lol:

I like that Sun ja`s family reunited to make kimchi. It was nice to see them in one scene together. I also like that Woo Jin came as well. Jin Soo was jelous that Tae Joo receive the colored pants. I guess they were his sweatpants. :D Mi Hye gave Woo jin her apron. The sisters were bickering.   It was really a nice scene. Bittersweet. :P:tears:

I am still upset that the writer gave Sun Ja such a tragic ending.

1 hour ago, larus said:

Mi Ri is confronting the Chairman. She tells him what she feels about him, what he did to her in the past. It was a needed scene.

The doctor is telling Sun Ja that she is very ill. She is asking how much time she has. :tears:

I like this scene too but I have to wait a few more hours for the sub-titles. I always believe that MR will give the chairman a piece of her mind, and I got my wish.

But sadly, SJ's scene was not what I wished for.

6 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Stupid. dramas always have to do pointless  garbage like that ti such a tiresome plotline.

Oh the drama going to end soon? Lets make someone sick! ughh

I understand and sometime accept when the writers gave us such plotlines but I feel it was unnecessary this time.  The writer could have given us nice scene with the family together, and even if not everything would have been resolved, at least end it in a tonic note. Why choose the depresive ending?

9 minutes ago, melissa_lee said:

I like this scene too but I have to wait a few more hours for the sub-titles. I always believe that MR will give the chairman a piece of her mind, and I got my wish.

My wish too.

When the writer gives me a little satisfaction, she takes it back in another scene. :phew:

BTS

Thank you for clarifying, larus. Guess many staff and crew will be affected. IF SJ dies, there's likely a to be a time jump to show how the daughters are getting on with their lives. Reminds me of the drama, "What happens to my family".

1 hour ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

It is meaningless. I really like SJ :(

she was practically a mother to everyone 

Of course, she knew how to make everything sadder. She chose the only character that held together almost all the characters. She was the central character. 

I know that the family will remain strong even after she will be gone. Sun ja keep the family together, she raised good people. Her dream to see all three daughter on their own became true but why not let her to enjoy that a little more? Yeah... sometimes real life is unfair. But this is a soap opera. The writer could have given us some satisfaction.

I know why the writer chose her from all the characters. Killing chairman or other fool antagonist would not make an impact on the audience.

56 minutes ago, melissa_lee said:

any reason why this is so? 

I don`t know for sure. Probably, there is the audience`s habit of watching KBS family dramas, also, it is the only drama at that time on television. The other dramas are starting 40 minutes later or more. 

50 minutes ago, monalisa said:

IF SJ dies, there's likely a to be a time jump to show how the daughters are getting on with their lives. Reminds me of the drama, "What happens to my family".

Probably that`s what the writer wanted to show us. . Many family dramas are chosing this ending.

I remember that I saw What happends to My family (I watched on You Tube) only Kim Hyun Joo and Kim Sang-kyung`s storyline. I remember that her father became ill in the end of the series but I did not remember his fate.

From what others said, it happends to the heroine`s mom in "All About My Mom" as well. I am sure there are many family dramas with similar plot.

24 minutes ago, larus said:

I remember that I saw What happends to My family (I watched on You Tube) only Kim Hyun Joo and Kim Sang-kyung`s storyline. I remember that her father became ill in the end of the series but I did not remember his fate.

This show is currently rerun on KBSWorld. The father figure sucumbed to liver cancer, he was given 3 months to live.

Personally I like weekend dramas, usually has warmth and nice little light moments. I started on weekend dramas with Mother is Angry (2008 Kim Hye Ja), and Life is beautiful (2010 Kim Hae Sook, Lee Sang Wu).

I am losing faith after this disappointing Mother of Mine and I may not watch anymore. And 100-episodes is difficult to follow.

Preview

22 minutes ago, melissa_lee said:

I am losing faith after this disappointing Mother of Mine and I may not watch anymore. And 100-episodes is difficult to follow.

Maybe you should watch the next KBS family drama. It looks like it will be the romantic comedy type. Or maybe KBS Father is Strange (2017), SBS Yeah, That's How It Is (2016) . I heard they were good family dramas. It will restore your faith in family dramas. :D

3 hours ago, melissa_lee said:

You should check out Aiga Dasut (Five Children). It aired 3 years ago and I loved it. Great cast and acting and great story. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, larus said:

The majority of articles about Mother of Mine were positive (praising the acting or just summarizing the episodes) but I found an article that talks about what it doesn't work in the KBS family drama. I think it is an objective view. I share the opinion of that article.

I really don`t dislike this drama, (It is the only drama that I watched LIVE and it is not even my favorite) but I am a little sad that there could have been something else. (sigh!)

Google translation

Weekend drama 'My Beautifulst Daughter in the World' loses his original intention and drifts only the old-fashioned drama clichés.

Modern society The idea of illuminating a new mother-in-law image has never been seen, and only the common 'bloodline' story remains.
At the beginning of the broadcast, the work seemed to illuminate the different relationships and stories of mother Park Sun-ja (Kim Hae-suk), working mom eldest daughter Kang Mi-sun (Yu-sun), Bae's second daughter Miri (Kim So-yeon), and the cheerful???? youngest daughter Mi-hye (Kim Ha-kyung).

However, when viewers responded the most to Miri's family history and the Miri-Taeju romance, the work began to get off track. Since the relationship between mother and daughter has been focused on Miri and her mother Jeon In-sook (Myung-gil Choi) rather than her mother-in-law, it has become difficult to distinguish between the mothers.

In the process, Han Jong-soo (Dong-woo) 's incomprehensible words and acts, too typical of Na Hye-mi (Kang Sung-yeon), the twisted romance of Miri and Tae-ju, seemed to see a popular drama in the 1990s, and viewers began to escape.

Romance missing, the company's working mom Miseon, the conflict between widows, and the romance of Mihye and Woojin (Ki Tae-young) are depicted as sideways, but they are also not convincing.

The broadcaster selects the face of 'My Prettiest Daughter in the World' as a mismatch between the director and the writer.

Yoon Seok-jin, professor and drama critic at Chungnam National University, said on the 24th, " Jo Jung-Sun is strong in comical dramas, PD Kim Jong-chang is good at authentic melo." "Heavy remains while dragging."--The PD won.

. . .

https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20190821056800005

I believe this must be true.

The redirection made the drama thread water when it should have been swimming.  That's why so many of the beats seemed repetitive.

15 hours ago, maribella said:

Don't you wonder how he built the company into a corporation? He is volatile, he is easily influenced and worst, he is easily fooled by his young wife.

Unless he inherited it.

The chairman is an embarrassment to all evil chairmans in k-dramas.

The chairman must have inherited his wealth. 

His mental capacity seem limited. 

He lets NHY  convince him that he will be able to snatch his grandchild and get rid of his daughter-in-law, and yet keep both his son and grandchild.  Did he forget MR insist he apologize to him. Did he forget that his son was running away from him before he met MR.  Did the chairman forget that MR has been the leverage he's been able to use to keep his eldest son?

On the, it's not real life, but a drama, point:

TJ looked at MR uninterrupted for over a minute while driving in traffic. 

This is why I hate lovey-dovey car scenes in drama. 

Shoot. Just when I wanted to start watching the episodes with subs again. Guess I will have to skip this week's episodes. Why would I want to watch anyone when the writer made SJ sick? I have already watched Golden garden. Man it totally sucks that it is doing cancer when we are at the home stretch. I have watched KBS2 dramas for quite a few years. What is the point of doing cancer right now? It is supposed to be the resolution stretch. Give her a romance for crying out loud. Not every mother in a weekend drama needs to die. Or only good for Halmoni roles and cooking japchae.

Hiss.

Thanks to Larus and rolisrntex for the recommendations.

I liked Kim Hae-Sook thru watching Life is Beautiful (2010) Childless Comfort(2012) and Yeah that's how it is (2016). I followed Mother of Mine because of KHS and KSY.

In Mother of Mine, KHS played a different type of mother - rough and loud on the outside, but a loving mother no doubt.

Off-track a bit, for some good news, golfer Ko Jin-Young just won the Canadian LPGA, her second win after Evian LPGA in France. Wow, Korean woman-power!!

Archived