[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

1 hour ago, hyunxing XD said:

new love line between bang won and  hui jae  :w00t:

Where do you see it? In the character map? I was suspecting that there was a reason for their frequent conversations, in each of which she seemed to have stood up to him and he seemed impressed...

If I remember correctly, initially, when the character map was released it had a brown line connecting them, but then that map was changed and the line disappeared...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Where do you see it? In the character map? I was suspecting that there was a reason for their frequent conversations, in each of which she seemed to have stood up to him and he seemed impressed...

If I remember correctly, initially, when the character map was released it had a brown line connecting them, but then that map was changed and the line disappeared...

yes i saw the character map where she was connected to him and showed "favorable relationship" . yes we should have seen it coming with their frequent scenes together  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hyunxing XD said:

yes i saw the character map where she was connected to him and showed "favorable relationship" . yes we should have seen it coming with their frequent scenes together  

I knew it! :) I wonder what "favorable relationship" means considering that she is in love with Hwi... Bang Won is probably not a gentleman when it comes to things like these... Do you have the link to the relationship map?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I knew it! :) I wonder what "favorable relationship" means considering that she is in love with Hwi... Bang Won is probably not a gentleman when it comes to things like these... Do you have the link to the relationship map?

i tried to look for the old one on naver but can't find. the one they have up now has removed the line between hui jae and bang won 230475_470130_265.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hyunxing XD said:

i tried to look for the old one on naver but can't find. the one they have up now has removed the line between hui jae and bang won 

yes :) that what I also saw... But I think you are right- something will happen between them. Don't know what, but something...

• Like 4

‘My Country’ ep 6 top Knetz comments (google translated):

1. Jang Hyuk's Lee Bang-won is amazing. His eyes and facial expressions, which contrast with his toned-down lines, are excellent. I'm really into this drama and I'm really into it. (+734 -9)

2 Lee Bang-won should appear more! Jang Hyuk has a lot of consideration that makes himself as well as his opponents stand out! That's why all the actors’ chemistry are so... Hwi, Seon-ho, Hee-jae. (+439 -2)

3. My country is really so good. Today is a great movie. (+353 -8)

4. When it comes to Jang Hyuk, you're not kidding! Lee Bang-won is a smash hit. (+257 -2)

5. Jang Hyuk, why are you so good?! Everyone is so good. You're the best at immersing the viewers (+230 -6)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=609&aid=0000190330

1. Jang Hyuk you're so good at ~~ Eyes, pronunciation, immersion increased when Jang Hyuk appears (+247 -1)

2. Everyone is great from the leading to supporting roles, you don't know how time goes by. (+143 -8)

3. Jang Hyuk's overwhelming aura brought the tension to its fullest.(+113 -3)

4. As if Jang Hyuk and Lee Bang-won are reincarnated, they are all characters. (+96 -0)

5. Timekeeping! I'm enjoying it.Let's have more fun. (+55 -5)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=468&aid=0000578907

0000578907_001_20191020082749000.jpg?typ

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

“My Country” Ratings Soar To New All-Time High As “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” Continues Winning Streak At No. 1

JTBC’s “My Country” has achieved its highest viewership ratings yet!

According to Nielsen Korea, the October 19 episode of “My Country” scored an average rating of 5.0 percent nationwide and 5.2 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area, marking a new personal best for the historical drama.

KBS 2TV’s “Beautiful Love Wonderful Life” successfully defended its position as the most-watched weekend drama of the night, scoring average nationwide ratings of 16.9 percent and 20.2 percent for its two parts.

SBS’s “Vagabond” scored average ratings of 7.9 percent and 10.2 percent for the night, while MBC’s “Golden Garden” scored average ratings of 6.6 percent, 9.8 percent, 9.0 percent, and 9.0 percent for its four parts.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1359963wpp/my-country-ratings-soar-to-new-all-time-high-as-beautiful-love-wonderful-life-continues-winning-streak-at-no-1?fbclid=IwAR14BHU7lwAyVJ_9ts5Bs86n_F3-wYnFO97YSNNyJO__mj2_pZdymsF9v0w

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Hello! Can I join? I just started watching! I want to see what happens next. And I want to discuss it will all of you! I love dramas from these times!

@Prettysup I just read your post! My country received high ratings? So proud! can't wait to watch more!

Edited by 2handsintertwined
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

This drama is soooo good!  It is much better than I had anticipated.   The production is opulent, the filming is extravagant and the acting is superb, especially the 2 main leads Yang se Jong and Woo Do Hwan!

And for those of you who complained about Seolhyun's acting from the moment you heard her name, before she even spoke one line in this drama, with your preconceived opinions about "idols can't act" you should be ashamed.  I feel she is doing an excellent job in this drama.  You judged her on something she did 4 years ago?  You don't think people can change or can grow?  She has shown she has grown as an actress.

I anxiously await each new episode.  I want to see how Seo Hwi survives from all the pain he has suffered in his life!

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, lollyminx said:

I think it will help later on that someone like Hui-jae believes in Seun-ho to prevent him from completely turning into the dark side.

I spoke too soon but it seems that Seun-ho truly needs someone who believes in him. When Hui-jae took back what she said in the previous episode and compared Seun-ho to his father, he lost it. Now he'll be colder even towards Hwi's sister. It's a little sad. 

'

Anyway, a solid episode yesterday yet again. I am happy that we are over the back stories and the plot is moving forward. 

Regarding characterization and questions whether Bang-won is evil or not, aside from the point that Bang-won has a reason to resent his father, it is also important to remember that when it comes to characters, especially those that are based on real characters and events that took place during the war, no one is completely good nor completely evil. 

• Like 7

"What's wrong? Were you not that happy to see him?

I felt as if hell was engraved all over Hwi's body. I felt like I could hear each one of his scars screaming. It broke my heart. His sad eyes broke my heart more than all the cruel words he said. They pierced my heart like sharp blades. I have no power. I shouldn't have stepped in. I shouldn't have let him go like that."

Hwi has a really rough life. But he is lucky to have someone understand him like that. Someone who loves him for who he really is. Someone who can see the pain and sadness in his eyes despite of what he has to do against his will. Someone who is willing to pay the consequences to protect him.

Between Hwi and Hee Jae, there's an unspoken feeling. None said they loved one another or promised to be together. Their love story probably progresses at a much faster pace than many people expect; I guess there will even be people who don't buy their love at all. But I just dig it. The way their feeling grow is not the kind of obvious, in-your-face one. It comes from how these two understand each other. Before Hwi was drafted and sent to the deadly battlefield, he found a beautiful, brave and smart girl who doesn't even care about his family background. She likes him for being a good person, a kind brother and a loyal friend. Probably they just like each other at first but the distance and longing seem to make their feeling grow stronger. Hwi must live to find his sister but memories of Hee Jae - her advice about not letting others trampled on him, her kindness and her bandage - are also parts of reason for him to keep going. For Hee Jae, besides her feeling for Hwi as how kind he is and her sympathy for all the difficulties in his life , she also believes he is her destiny because his father saved her life when she was a kid.  

• Like 10

On 10/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, Prettysup said:

In 1388, those 2 kids were only 6 and 7 years old, so I guess the kids ages are ok.

Yi Bang-won was supposed to be 21 years old at that time, so JH is indeed too old for this role haha. 

It seems like that kid is having a  stunted childhood. Years have been passed and he is still same.

I'm finding it hard to take JH as LBW seriously unless I imagine that he is a purely fictitious character coincidently named like historical LBW.

• Like 3

I understand that Hee Jae is out for revenge for the brutal death of her parents and her entire household. But that happened during the former king's reign. Why is she mad at Bang Won? Is it because he's opposing his father and the Queen with whom she gave her loyalty to gain power? How will she avenge the death of her parents and to whom?

The actress playing Hee Jae still shows a disconnect. She delivers her lines, but she's not fully into the character. You can see that she's just acting the part. I understand that historical dramas are difficult to do but there are actors who are also newbies who are able to play their part convincingly.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, anony12345 said:

I don't like how everything is so outwardly in your face pitiful with the ML, and that's coming from someone that likes watching broken leads. It needs to be more subtle.

Pretty much everyone in this show  loves torturing Hwi and I'm hoping he gets back on some of his detractors in next episode.

24 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I understand that Hee Jae is out for revenge for the brutal death of her parents and her entire household. But that happened during the former king's reign. Why is she mad at Bang Won? Is it because he's opposing his father and the Queen with whom she gave her loyalty to gain power? How will she avenge the death of her parents and to whom?

The actress playing Hee Jae still shows a disconnect. She delivers her lines, but she's not fully into the character. You can see that she's just acting the part. I understand that historical dramas are difficult to do but there are actors who are also newbies who are able to play their part convincingly.

She must have a valid reason for getting mad at Bang Won. She is a smart and well informed person so I don't see her acting impetuously for no reason. The dynasty might have changed but demographic remains same. Most of the major players must have their positions intact. LBW has practically given her death threat in  the recent episode so there is no hope of reconciliation between the duo.

Seems like Seolhyun is doing better than people's expectations. I guess it's her first major role so I won't judge her performance harshly like I do with my favourite veterans. I think her part suits her. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

It seems like that kid is having a  stunted childhood. Years have been passed and he is still same.

I'm finding it hard to take JH as LBW seriously unless I imagine that he is a purely fictitious character coincidently named like historical LBW.

That is kind of what I'm doing. He's too old for historical LBW but I do think they made the right call going with an experinced vet for the role. They are only touching on history anyway.

• Like 4

To be honest, I am not really into Korean history. I do notice inconsistencies in the drama; for example there are scenes that are obviously cuts - we only know that from the still cuts or the dialogues. For example: the scene where Hee Jae fixed Yeon's makeup; when Hee Jae held Bang Won at knife point...

But I don't watch this drama with an expectation of a masterpiece. Instead, I find a focal point in this drama to focus my attention in it - and that's Hwi and Hee Jae's relationship.

In terms of acting, I do agree that Seolhuyn has room for improvement. But I feel that she is getting better as the story progresses and she really looks elegant like a lady in the old time. On the other hand, Yang Se Jong's pained expressions while thinking about Hee Jae when he is shooting (in episode 5) and the lake scene in episode 6 while he tries to drive her away are not as good as I expected. Still, the sadness in his eyes is still apparent and he is really good in other scenes. Overall, I think the acting is fine in the drama; of course the veterans shine but newbies are holding their own quite ok. 

6 episodes - 10 to go and so far I am eager waiting for each episode .

What I like about a well-done historical romance is that not all feelings have to be spoken out loud; in many cases they turn out the be empty words. Just with Hee Jae's bandage around Hwi's bow all these years - that is more than enough to betray Hwi's emotion no matter how much he tries to drive Hee Jae away. He can't even deny that when Hee Jae sees that symbolism in his bow and helplessly turns his back on her, only to turn around and watch her leave latter. Damn, it is one of rare dramas I have seen where the female lead is so certain of her feeling and frankly lets the main lead know about that. Hwi might be the one initiated the kiss but it is Hee Jae who confesses her feeling and tries to hold on to him so that she won't lose him again.  

Edited by melp
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, melp said:

I do notice inconsistencies in the drama; for example there are scenes that are obviously cuts - we only know that from the still cuts or the dialogues. For example: the scene where Hee Jae fixed Yeon's makeup; when Hee Jae held Bang Won at knife point...

That's probably because drama was originally planned to have 20 episode. 

• Like 3