[Drama 2019] Item, 아이템

0ly40

"The Item" Struggles Even With Headliner Joo Ji-hoon

2019/02/19 | 69 views | Permalink | Source

photo1036844.jpg

MBC drama "The Item" is not doing well. Despite having top actor actor Joo Ji-hoon on the front line and having been the topic of conversation since before it came out, the drama is quite disappointing with what Sports Donga calls "its milk-and-water" completion of the story.

Spoiler

"The Item" was an ambitious drama by MBC since its preproduction stages. It stars Joo Ji-hoon who has become a trustworthy actor through his 10 million audience success in "Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds" and Netflix drama "Kingdom". "The Item" is Joo Ji-hoon's first ground-wave drama in four years. Another attention caller was actor Kim Kang-woo's transformation as the bad guy.

However, expectations were too high. After the first episode, audiences say the story isn't consistent and the directing is confusing. The awkward CG effects are also a disappointment. Many say the drama has a lot to see, but it lacks the ability to make it a cohesive story. Because the drama is pre-produced, it can't reflect on these opinions and show improvement.

However, some say it's too early to tell. Sources say the layout takes a turn from the fourth episode when all the characters really get involved with each other.

Some also say that it's too early to give up on the actors. Apparently Joo Ji-hoon and Kim Kang-woo's performance enhances engagement in the drama and Jin Se-yeon who is a profiler in the drama is not too bad.

These opinions are given by local audiences.

Source : /news.nate.com/view/2...

Copy & paste guideline for this article
Always put a link back to the source and HanCinema permalink

HANCINEMA

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, I am thinking that there could be 8 items due to the main poster:

Item-03.jpg

Each person has an item. The villain : the book; the priest: the whip; KG: the bracelet, SSY's colleague: the ring; the second person on the right: the cap; the other prosecutor is also holding an item.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, Wenrene said:

@bebebisous33 Great analysis ! I think there are already 6 items? The scene where Profiler Shin So Young was with her partner (male cop who calls her sunbae. He has a ring on his finger and looks a an item to me.  Not sure how to insert the picture but a link is provided here~ http://imgur.com/a/Dl5VU6s

That's a great observationgood-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif When I saw that ring all I could think of is that I want it.  I upload pics from Imgur too

Just

Spoiler

Copy the BBcode link then paste it into the insert other media, You have to remove the  from the link before you post it

On 2/19/2019 at 8:33 PM, silvianage said:

I agree with you I think they are all survival or family member of the tragedy in Nov 2003.

For the items, is there possibility that these items belong to all the victim in the tragedy? remember the scene of shin father photograph all the item belong to the victim and said that later on the relative might want to see it. I think I saw the pink instant camera? but I might be wrong.

I thought the same thing when he was taking pictures of those items too. I didn't notice the camera. I'll have to rewatch 7-8 again but that does make sense and explains why the camera is so dirty.

@bebebisous33 Your analysis has been invaluable. I'm so happy you are watching this drama:heart: It has me rewatching the episodes to see what you see and better understand what's going on. 

@annie1234 @Carmarie It's a win-win reading the analysis, rewatching, getting to watch Ju Ji Hoon again:naughty:

On 2/20/2019 at 12:22 AM, anony12345 said:

How did the female leads dad get to the roof before anyone else to help the lead? Did I miss something there

I wondered the same thing. Maybe he has an item too?  He definitely knows something he hasn't revealed yet.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, AlexandraReid said:

i also wondering if this guy (Seo yohan) could be a culprit? cause he seems so suspicious appearing all of a sudden in that tunnel :neutral:

i was thinking that too but then I wondered if it was a false lead to make us suspect him.

i also want to know what's up with the villain and his weird sadistic relationship with his assistant and all those creepy old men.  Feels like they made a devil's pact with him.

@bebebisous33 All your analysis is super helpful.  I'm enjoying this drama but I do agree the directing and  editing can make things confusing at times. so it's good to see other people's thoughts.

The last episode confirmed my theory partially:

- JSH did use the album against his own father

- SGC also used it.

However, I was wrong about the victim. He punished a criminal who could escape punishment by law.

Now, KG is cornered: his colleague is backstabbing him and on the other hand, JSH wants to use KG as his pawn. This is now a race against time. KG has to retrieve all the items for him and DI will be the leverage. By using KG, the villain can escape from the claws of the priest. JSH can determine the victims' time of death (the one in a vegetative state) by cutting their pictures. However, I sense that DI's picture can not last forever... we saw what was happening to her in the dream. Her body started disappearing. 

JSH suffers from megalomania... a god complex. He enjoys playing god, giving death sentence or punishment... so he will get rid of his dog in the next episode as he views KG as his next "dog". 

@evie7 @joccu @raziela

still catching up with the latest episodes. I was on a holiday. 

So now we now what the most items does.  And why the item has superpowers.  

JSH is one crazy chaebol. He enjoys playing god with peoples life. 

My only hope is that when this drama comes to a end that da-in is alive. 

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

This is now a race against time. KG has to retrieve all the items for him and DI will be the leverage. By using KG, the villain can escape from the claws of the priest. JSH can determine the victims' time of death (the one in a vegetative state) by cutting their pictures. However, I sense that DI's picture can not last forever... we saw what was happening to her in the dream. Her body started disappearing. 

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I remember during the first scene in the dream he had a picture. It must have been hers.  I hope she makes it, I will so angry if she dies.

I have to finish getting dressed for work. I'll be back in about 12 hrs after I get home and catch up.

Honestly I love shocking deaths as much as anyone (and it actually annoys me how safe kdramas play it compared to Korean films where all kinds of crazy happens, as that is what got me into Korean Cinema in the first place) but this just happened way too early in the show for me.

Like, if he's not richard simmons richard simmons up every episode until the end being ruthless as hell to get revenge I'd be very disappointed and I know that's not going to happen as we're not even at the halfway stage yet. I'd need I Saw the Devil level revenge.

This is a supernatural show and they talk about some wish room if you get all the items (though is she getting cremated?) so they could bring her back but even then it wouldn't occur until right in the end if it did. They've genuinely stopped the only interesting relationship in this show for me and the plot isn't interesting enough to keep me watching on its own.

I'll watch next week out of closure but I think I'll be dropping this one.

Edit: Someone needs to explain this "richard simmons" business to me. Is there a story there?

im lurk hopping between here and A Crowned Clown lols im quite surprised the thread here isn’t moving as fast as it should have been! i mean, this is a dark fantasy kdrama which isnt common shouldn’t it attract lot of people??

i can’t get off the Oh Jak Doo image whenever i see JSH in the stripey suit haha and that Versace coat is screaming out loud flaunting the wealth!

i dun quite understand why whenever the instant camera flashed n snapped a polaroid his eyes will go blank and got a split second of headache..

the Room of Wishes.. reminds me of Harry Potter room of wants.. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:06 PM, bebebisous33 said:

The last episode confirmed my theory partially:

- JSH did use the album against his own father

- SGC also used it.

However, I was wrong about the victim. He punished a criminal who could escape punishment by law.

Now, KG is cornered: his colleague is backstabbing him and on the other hand, JSH wants to use KG as his pawn. This is now a race against time. KG has to retrieve all the items for him and DI will be the leverage. By using KG, the villain can escape from the claws of the priest. JSH can determine the victims' time of death (the one in a vegetative state) by cutting their pictures. However, I sense that DI's picture can not last forever... we saw what was happening to her in the dream. Her body started disappearing. 

JSH suffers from megalomania... a god complex. He enjoys playing god, giving death sentence or punishment... so he will get rid of his dog in the next episode as he views KG as his next "dog". 

@evie7 @joccu @raziela

Thanks for tagging me.  You are so perceptive and you were tight about the "dog".  I was hoping we would get some backstory on how he got involved with Jo Se Hwang and their disturbing relationship but I don't see that happening now.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:44 PM, foreverempress said:

SO they really did just

Reveal hidden contents

kill Dae In like that...

No one is safe. 

:tears: So sad

On 2/27/2019 at 2:33 AM, anony12345 said:

Honestly I love shocking deaths as much as anyone (and it actually annoys me how safe kdramas play it compared to Korean films where all kinds of crazy happens, as that is what got me into Korean Cinema in the first place) but this just happened way too early in the show for me.

Like, if he's not richard simmons richard simmons up every episode until the end being ruthless as hell to get revenge I'd be very disappointed and I know that's not going to happen as we're not even at the halfway stage yet. I'd need I Saw the Devil level revenge.

This is a supernatural show and they talk about some wish room if you get all the items (though is she getting cremated?) so they could bring her back but even then it wouldn't occur until right in the end if it did. They've genuinely stopped the only interesting relationship in this show for me and the plot isn't interesting enough to keep me watching on its own.

I'll watch next week out of closure but I think I'll be dropping this one.

Edit: Someone needs to explain this "richard simmons" business to me. Is there a story there?

I'll keep watching until the end to see where this goes and to support JSY but I kind of agree with some of your criticisms. 

Aside from the directing, editing and pacing which I think is lacking in places I really don't find Kang Gon a particularly compelling character as the lead. The only time I really warmed to him was during his adorable interactions with his niece.  And his dumb, rash behaviour these last few episodes has frustrated me so much.  Of course I'm on his side because he is a righteous person and Jo Se Hwang is an evil flaming ball of dog poo and I want to see him lose this disgusting game.

As it stands with Da In gone the only character I really care about is our profiler Shin So Young.  Shin So Young's dad OK too.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:18 AM, chdom said:

I love the little actress Shin Ri-Nah DI. Hope to see more of her future works. 

She's a great little actress. I look forward to watching her in more dramas.

Archived