[Drama 2018] Room Nine, 나인룸

0ly40

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting plot + revenge drama + the absolutely gorgeous (&talented. Recently watched a drama of hers) Kim Hee Sun.

Sounds like the recipe for a great drama.  I hope writing is great and it won't disappoint. So many dramas have potential yet turn bad only because of its stupid writers.

Anyway looking forward to this. Bodyswap with deathrow plot hmm...I hope we'll get some great dramatic plots from that!

@annie1234 Nice to see you in this thread too. :) KHS really is super pretty just like someone we know. 

These 3 are having too much fun...reminder to watch tomorrow

MC mentioned about skinship. I think good chemistry here. KYK so polite - keep addressing her as sunbaenim

Cast Of “Room No. 9” Praise Each Other And Explain Why They Chose The Drama

Oct 4, 2018
by K. Lew

Kim Hee Sun, Kim Hae Sook, and Kim Young Kwang talk about working with each other in “Room No. 9,” their characters, why they chose the drama, and more.

tvN’s “Room No. 9” recently held a press conference ahead of its premiere, with actors Kim Hee Sun, Kim Young Kwang, and Kim Hae Sook, as well as director Ji Young Soo in attendance. The drama follows death row criminal Jang Hwa Sa (played by Kim Hae Sook) and lawyer Eul Ji Hae Yi (played by Kim Hee Sun) whose fates were switched, as well as doctor Ki Yoo Jin (played by Kim Young Kwang) who holds the key to their fates.

Director Ji Young Soo explained the soul-switching basis of the drama. He commented, “The soul-switching plot device isn’t new. In films and dramas, soul-switching has quite a bit of comedy. However, ‘Room No. 9′ is filled with desperation and urgency. That’s why I’m excited to see a new kind of drama.”

Kim Hee Sun plays skilled lawyer Eul Ji Hae Yi, who has a 100 percent success rate, and flatters the rich while ignoring the poor. On why she chose the drama, she shared, “I was always a fan of the director. I loved working with everyone. It’s my first time playing a dual role. I decided to appear with the mindset of taking on a challenge. I trust the other actors, the director, and the writer.”

On her co-star Kim Hae Sook, with whom she switches characters’ souls with, she commented, “Whatever I do, I can’t become Jang Hwa Sa. Kim Hae Sook’s acting is something I can’t imitate. It’s a bit regretful, because I think I could have done better if I had watched her act as Jang Hwa Sa before acting it myself. It was to the point where as I was watching her as Jang Hwa Sa, I wanted to re-do my acting.”

She continued to praise the veteran actress, saying, “Without a doubt, Kim Hae Sook was always an actress I wanted to work with. To be honest, I was a bit pressured on how she might judge my acting. However, she gave me a lot of energy and praise, so I became more confident.”

Kim Hae Sook, whose character Jang Hwa Sa has been shut in prison for 34 years for murder by poison, remarked, “I chose ‘Room No. 9’ because it is about the life of a woman, rather than that of a mother. It’s a character and drama where I can show a new side to myself as an actress. Regardless of age, actors have a desire to search for something new. That’s why I’m particularly excited for the drama.”

On her co-star Kim Young Kwang, with whom she previously acted with as her son in ‘Pinnochio,’ she shared, “I was always fond of him since then. I thought it was like fate that we got to work together again, and I was happy. I was also sorry. Because we [Kim Hae Sook and Kim Hee Sun] had dual roles, he had to watch us while acting, and it was probably very difficult. There were times when it was difficult to immerse into the emotions, so I’d like to apologize to him for that.”

Kim Hae Sook then talked about working with Kim Hee Sun, and commented, “Everyone thought we had met each other many times before. Through the drama, I saw that Kim Hee Sun has such a strong passion for acting. As we worked together, I was touched to see that she worked really hard to bring the chemistry between us up. Through that, I was able to get closer to her.”

Kim Young Kwang plays Ki Yoo Jin, the man who holds the key between the soul-switching between Eul Ji Hae Yi and Jang Hwa Sa, as well as the person in the center of a mysterious incident. On why he chose the role, he remarked, “The story of ‘Room No. 9’ was interesting. The two women switch souls, and I was curious as to what kind of change there might be to Ki Yoo Jin, so I chose it.”

On his co-stars, he shared, “There are romantic scenes with Kim Hae Sook. When we worked together before, she gave me a lot of advice, and I always followed her around, asking her questions. I was thankful because she treated me like her real son on set.” He continued, “It’s an honor to do romantic acting with such important seniors. [My character] is in a relationship with Hae Yi. But since it’s a fantasy setting, there isn’t going to be that much romance.”

Kim Young Kwang then picked one key point to look out for, saying, “The two people’s souls switching will create a lot of incidents. I hope people enjoy those.” Kim Hee Sun also chose a ratings promise, and commented, “Since we are ‘Room No. 9,’ at the end of the year, I want to invite 99 people and hold a flea market. I want to donate the profits.”

Soompi

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2018] Room Nine, 나인룸 - Kim Hee Seon, Kim Young Kwang - Sat & Sun 21:00 KST

[Room No. 9] PILOT Ep 1 Kim Hee Sun and Kim Hae Sook exchanges their soul

Article: Naver 'Room No. 9' Kim Hee Sun x Kim Hae Sook tough ill-fate for each other.. 'exchange soul' 

• Eulji Hae Yi is a lawyer and meets Jang Hwa Sa (Kim Hae Sook) who is a death row convict. 
  • Her boyfriend Ki Yoo Jin (Kim Young Kwang) is a doctor, he went to the prison to look for Jang Hwa Sa. 
  • Jang Hwa Sa faints, Hae Yi who is in the same room exchange soul with her when Yoo Jin uses a mysterious AED machine to save Hwa Sa. 

1. [+163,-7]
Kim Hee Sun is pretty, Kim Hae Sook's acting is the best. And the story is thrilling. 

2. [+68,-15]
Kim Hee Sun's acting is good though? 

3. [+47,-5]
Both Kim Hee Sun and Kim Hae Sook have good acting.. I want to see the next episode quickly.

4. [+45,-3]
I had goosebumps while watching Kim Hae Sook's acting when she ate the donut. 

5. [+34,-3]
After The Lady in Dignity, I think this one will be a hit too.. Firstly, the first episode is really interesting. 

6. [+11,-1]
Kim Hee Sun did well acting as a rude character. 

7. [+9,-0]
I respect actress Kim Hae Sook. 

Article: Naver 'Room No. 9' Kim Hee Sun and Kim Hae Sook exchange souls.. shocking ending 

1. [+1111,-74]
It's good to focus on Kim Hee Sun, Kim Hae Sook and make quick story developments... Kim Young Kwang seriously, he can't do dramas like these. He should practice on his acting.. 

2. [+538,-80]
Kim Hee Sun's acting is really good though... 

3. [+348,-26]
I hope Kim Young Kwang get hold of being the center between the two actresses quickly. He's still lacking now. Hope he finds strength. 

4. [+378,-146]
The soul changing story that I'm fed up of. ㅠ.ㅠ It's boring. 

5. [+186,-23]
It's fun. 

6. [+139,-12]
Kim Young Kwang, Nam Joo Hyuk, Lee Jang Woo = Uee, Seolhyun, Hyeri, Seohyun. 

7. [+154,-25]
Kim Young Kwang didn't show up a lot, there aren't any scenes to say that he's bad. ㅋㅋㅋ Overall, I think everyone is fine and it's interesting. 

8. [+88,-4]
Am I the only one enjoying this? ㅠㅠ I really didn't notice how much time had passed watching it.ㅠㅠ Kim Young Kwang's acting is good too.. ㅠㅠ

9. [+79,-13]
Young Kwang should just continue to be a model, or gain more experience being a supporting actor first... So far, a main role is too much for him to handle, even a supporting role... I guess the story development for both Miss Ma and this one will decide who wins.

5 hours ago, triplem said:

Ratings are pretty strong for cable & a premier episode - 6.2 %

Strongly agree. Finally, in tvN, I trust. Even though the subject of souls exchanging is not something new and novel, it's still a good field to unearth more in minor aspects which tremendously depends upon the screen script and acting. I always put my faith in Kim Hae Sook. She's wonderful and effortlessly experienced. I believe in her choice of projects.

p/s: ondemandkorea doesn't broadcast this show, who knows where should I can get a hold of this drama please before I have to binge watching in the last minutes :bawling:

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2018] Room Nine, 나인룸 - Sat & Sun 21:00 KST

Just watched Episode 1 and it was.....weird.

Acting was good.  Characters were all quite unpleasant (in an interesting dramatic way).  But I found some of the symbolism a bit heavy-handed, and I wondered if they were giving too much away on a couple of plot lines.

Interesting.  Will keep watching.

12 hours ago, triplem said:

@Melody_06 I hv not had the chance to start on this drama yet . No time ! But viki is the subber for this drama . 

Nah, I don't have time either. Super busy but since I just finished "Let me introduce her", I believe I could find some slots in between to squeeze in. Hopefully it won't let me down. Frankly, I've never considered Kim Hee Sun a good actor.

12 hours ago, thistle said:

Just watched Episode 1 and it was.....weird.

Acting was good.  Characters were all quite unpleasant (in an interesting dramatic way).  But I found some of the symbolism a bit heavy-handed, and I wondered if they were giving too much away on a couple of plot lines.

Interesting.  Will keep watching.

Hmm...this sounds...fishy. The only reason I noticed this drama is Kim Hae Sook and then Kim Young Kwan. I watched him in Secret Mother and super liked him. However, when it turns in the main cast, I wonder if he could handle it.

2 hours ago, Melody_06 said:

.....Hmm...this sounds...fishy. The only reason I noticed this drama is Kim Hae Sook and then Kim Young Kwan. I watched him in Secret Mother and super liked him. However, when it turns in the main cast, I wonder if he could handle it.

Fishy?  In what way?  Where I come from, if you call what someone says "fishy" that means you don't believe them.  I'm sorry if my post appeared disingenuous in some way.

I meant what I said in my post.  To go over it again:  I did find the show a bit weird because I thought it was heavy handed with symbolism (like the close up of the moth which is notable for having the mythic symbolic of taking a soul). I found the characters universally unpleasant--not a likeable person in the bunch.  The acting was generally good, although no one stood out as stellar but that can be a good thing because a great actor can overshadow others; no one did that.  This is not to say that the acting was mediocre; it was just workable.  In fact, none of the show struck me as particularly noteworthy--so much so that, in re-reading my own comment, I'm having difficulty recalling what I saw as so revelatory (although I know it happened in the last couple of minutes of the show).

Overall, I did find the show sufficiently interesting to follow it for awhile.  It was entertaining; that's what drama is supposed to be.  I'll give it a few weeks to see if it remains on my overly-full watchlist.

I tend not to follow shows just for a certain actor (although there are surely some actors that I like better than others) because that just means I've liked him so much in one role that I'll often be disappointed that another role isn't more of the same.  It's better to see each show as an individual entity, and that means attempting to ignore what an actor has done previously so that I can enjoy the role he is playing now.

First impressions:

I watched the first two episodes and I would like to share my thoughts on them. :)

First of all I need to say I always enjoy when the focus is on two actresses being the leads rather than having two men or a couple (and I'm really into love stories in dramas).

So to have Kim Hae Sook - the veteran actress of all veteran actresses - and Kim Hee Sun is such a joy to watch, even though I find the drama doesn't take enough time to show how well they act together in a scene.

And of course it's all about a male-dominated society and I think I can already predict where this drama goes which isn't good. On the other hand I might continue at least another two episodes to see how it goes.

I have to say I don't like Kim Hee Sun's character. She is a career woman - which is great! Take what you deserve! - but she does have a terrible character. The comment on Hwa-Sa's mother and the dementia hit me hard since my grandmother is suffering from it. Only a person who has no understanding of this disease can say and believe what Hae-Yi said. She is established as the not so nice person while the "crazy evil woman" Hwa-Sa comes across as the appealing figure the viewer is emphasizing with. And maybe Hwa-Sa really did kill that man. Who knows?

But the fact that I don't like Hae-Yi doesn't make it easy to root for Hwa-Sa after they swap the body.

Which leads me to the plot device I honestly dislike: the body swap. I feel the drama is way too serious to drift into the fantasy genre. I don't like it. It's off and I don't think it's well-written so far. I understand what the drama is trying to do with it but at the same time it disrupts the flow of the drama for me. Especially since Kim Hee Sun while constantly improving her acting skills doesn't channel Kim Hae Sook's portray of Hwa-Sa good enough for me to believe they swapped bodies. Meanwhile Kim Hae Sook is doing a fanastic job to act as Hae-Yi.

Overall I find those first episodes weird but still well-paced to establish everything. Even though they might've given away too much already.

Archived