[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

3 hours ago, Pesca said:

I thought Mo Ye being considerate here and its DH's nature that he prefers to be alone. 

Been reading p546. Ha ha ... I am a bit slow. :sweatingbullets:

Why else do you think people are up so late at night? HAHAHAHA! No wonder she started family planning so soon....

• LOL 3

42 minutes ago, Pesca said:

In chapter 3, the word "beautiful young wife" that Gun Gun explains to his father, is there any other meaning in Chinese? Gun gun is 200 years old after all, why ZY is surprised? 

Okie, so this was something I was sorta meh on too, because in translation, it's pretty obvious what it means. The characters are 小娇妻 but 娇 in particular has a number of other meanings, including: spoiled / pampered, tender, delicate. Those sorts of meanings. So it's not necessarily something Gungun, as a toddler, might understand. But it does in general just mean 'beautiful young wife.' I did also opt to translate that way because there's Gungun's explanation: 

So young and full of life, and even so good-looking...

I could've probably also gone with something like 'pampered / tender young wife' though. -shrugs-

Does that help?

6 hours ago, Pesca said:

LOL. NO, this is not obvious. The book is talking about them exploring Bihai Changlin. So I genuinely thought they were going up and down mountains etc. I would get ache and pain if I walk a lot up and down mountains like that. Only when @MayanEcho kind of hinted it a while back in one of our chats then I realised what it meant. :sweatingbullets:

No way, for real?? LOL. I can't seriously have been the only one that got it, can I?

:dead:

• LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

In chapter 3, the word "beautiful young wife" that Gun Gun explains to his father, is there any other meaning in Chinese? Gun gun is 200 years old after all, why ZY is surprised? 

33 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Okie, so this was something I was sorta meh on too, because in translation, it's pretty obvious what it means. The characters are 小娇妻 but 娇 in particular has a number of other meanings, including: spoiled / pampered, tender, delicate. Those sorts of meanings. So it's not necessarily something Gungun, as a toddler, might understand. But it does in general just mean 'beautiful young wife.' I did also opt to translate that way because there's Gungun's explanation: 

I rather think Zhe Yan is assuming that BGG was describing FJ as his father's "beautiful young wife" because the toddler is loyal to his mother. :tounge_wink:

Xiao Jiao Qi, the difficulty of translating this is because it doesn't mean beautiful young wife alone, it actually also means this beautiful wife is pampered (well loved). But one of the conditions is also beauty so it's actually beautiful pampered young wife. That's why Di Jun was shocked.

Or alternatively it could mean also delicate young wife in certain dictionaries but I am inclined to believe it means delicately beautiful? I am translating this part now and looked up 4 different dictionaries for the definition. Let me paste this for @UnluckyWhiteCat

*娇妻(jiāoqī),美丽且年轻的爱妻

故而,“**娇妻”有一个重要的条件即“娇美”。虽说“娇美”不一定要艳压群芳,卓尔不群,但是起码要长相可爱,受人欣赏

娇”在最通常的含义里是娇气 (definition: delicate)娇滴滴 (definition: sweet cute delicately pretty)娇生惯养 (definition: pampered and spoiled since childhood)

*Young beautiful wife who's loved is the full definition.

**One of the conditions to qualify for "Jiao Qi is that person must be also Jiao Mei, and it does not only mean beautiful, it can mean she looks cute, and people admire her.

I am trying to see how to translate this into a shorter word/words. And you can also say a wife that's loved is also a pampered wife, no? I usually read chinese only dictionaries if I want a clear definition of something and then look at the definition and then translate from there.

Definition 2:

lovable; pampered; tender; delicate; frail

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I could've probably also gone with something like 'pampered / tender young wife' though. -shrugs-

Does that help?

No way, for real?? LOL. I can't seriously have been the only one that got it, can I?

To be exact It's young pampered and beautiful wife. I am toying with the use of Delicate wife. In that scene Zhe Yan knew exactly what Xiao Jiao Qi meant, but the child probably only knew the beautiful side of it, however I am also translating it in view of what Di Jun thinks of that term. Which was why he was shocked when he heard those three words.

It is likely he thinks of that word in the same way as Zhe Yan, which was why Zhe Yan asked the boy if he knew what "Xiao Jiao Qi" meant.

And pamper her he did. Fei Wei later grumbled about Di Jun requesting for better food and high quality clothing material, because he mentioned that Di Jun can eat the same thing for 10 years and he won't complain, and the same goes for his clothing. Then he found out that all those requests were for Miss Xiao Bai and not that his master had gotten voodooed. So Di Jun really pampered her later on in the story.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Pesca said:

LOL. NO, this is not obvious. The book is talking about them exploring Bihai Changlin. So I genuinely thought they were going up and down mountains etc. I would get ache and pain if I walk a lot up and down mountains like that.

Me too.... :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

38 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I rather think Zhe Yan is assuming that BGG was describing FJ as his father's "beautiful young wife" because the toddler is loyal to his mother. :tounge_wink:

P.S BGG thinks his mother is very beautiful :D

6 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Me too.... :lol:

Chinese version quite obvious but it's subtle as well. Most of the chinese readers got it for the most part :D. But i think the nuance did get lost in translation somewhat as it always does.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Does that help?

I didn't get it either from Hamster's translations, until I came to this forum. Another reason why I feel so lucky to have found you all! Haha now I kind of know Tang Qi's writing so I'm more careful when I read the translated texts. >_<

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

33 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I am trying to see how to translate this into a shorter word/words. And you can also say a wife that's loved is also a pampered wife, no? I usually read chinese only dictionaries if I want a clear definition of something and then look at the definition and then translate from there.

Isn't this always just the problem? :lol: 

I was actually debating between using 'beautiful' and 'pampered' when I was translating too, I just went with 'beautiful' in the end because of how Gungun explained it and didn't use the whole thing cause I was trying to not make it so wordy. I think I might just leave my translation as is and leave my explanation in a footnote. But we'll see how I feel when I come back to it in a week or so. Maybe I'll change my mind. :rolleyes:

The pitfalls of translation. -sigh-

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Ninky said:

To be exact It's young pampered and beautiful wife. I am toying with the use of Delicate wife.

Now 'pamper' makes sense to me as DHDJ never pamper anyone. I like pampered beautiful wife more. :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pesca said:

Now 'pamper' makes sense to me as DHDJ never pamper anyone. I like pampered beautiful wife more. :)

Zhe Yan knows this that's why he laughed and asked the boy if he knew what that meant. Di Jun clearly understood it the same way as he did, which was why he went -------> blank!

I edited my long post up ahead. Added in something of interest :D.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

10 minutes ago, Pesca said:

may be pampered beautiful young wife? LOL

The problem is we have to put it into three words as per the story. So I think I'll go with Little Pampered Wife, because of the stuff I  just picked up and edited into my long post as above. I'll explain the beautiful bit in my notes and glossary. I'll paste the definition i wrote above to the notes section too.

• Wiggle 2

13 minutes ago, Pesca said:

may be pampered beautiful young wife? LOL

This could work!

2 minutes ago, Ninky said:

The problem is we have to put it into three words as per the story. So I think I'll go with Little Pampered Wife, because of the stuff I  just picked up and edited into my long post as above. I'll explain the beautiful bit in my notes and glossary. I'll paste the definition i wrote above to the notes section too.

Another option that I'm now considering atm: like @Pesca said, 'pampered beautiful young wife' and just change that part where it says 'three words' to 'four words.' And then perhaps a footnote. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

This could work!

Another option that I'm now considering atm: like @Pesca said, 'pampered beautiful young wife' and just change that part where it says 'three words' to 'four words.' And then perhaps a footnote. 

I think we should just refer it as the correct definition of young beautiful pampered wife, either way to qualify as jiao qi, beauty is a condition for it's use. and  i'll also be footnoting my definitions above. This will clear up confusion.

So mine turned out this way with Pesca's suggestion:

-start of unedited raw translation-

Bai Gun Gun lifted his head from the teacup and blinked his eyes, “Mother isn’t four hundred thousand years old, Mother is still very young. In our family, only Father Lord is four hundred thousand years old, “ he carefully tried to recall what Jiu Jiu had described herself at the time, it wasn’t long before he remembered, he balled his right hand into a tiny fist and lightly knocked himself once on his right leg, repeating her words confidently, “Jiu Jiu said that she is very young herself and is Father Lord’s little pampered beautiful wife.”

“Little pampered beautiful wife”. These four words made Di Jun’s face become completely blank for a moment.

Zhe Yan bent over with laughter, “You are such a tiny child, do you know the meaning of little pampered beautiful wife?

-end of unedited raw translation-

-start of unedited raw translation 2-

Bai Gun Gun lifted his head from the teacup and blinked his eyes, “Mother isn’t four hundred thousand years old, Mother is still very young. In our family, only Father Lord is four hundred thousand years old, “ he carefully tried to recall what Jiu Jiu had described herself at the time, it wasn’t long before he remembered, he balled his right hand into a tiny fist and lightly knocked himself once on his right leg, repeating her words confidently, “Jiu Jiu said that she is very young herself and is Father Lord’s pampered beautiful young wife.”

“Pampered beautiful young wife”. These four words made Di Jun’s face become completely blank for a moment.

Zhe Yan bent over with laughter, “You are such a tiny child, do you know the meaning of pampered beautiful young wife?

-end of unedited raw translation 2-

Two versions but they read slightly differently.

I might change it again later when I get to editing. But I shall also have a word with the other 2 girls at editing. Not sure if I should go with the first one or second one, but I'll sleep on it overnight.

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1

Beautiful pampered little wife

Beautiful pampered young wife

Pampered beautiful little wife

Pampered beautiful young wife

Pampered little beautiful wife

Pampered young beautiful wife

Beautiful little pampered wife

Beautiful young pampered wife

=> Rearranging and interchanging the young and little are giving different sort of feels describing FJ :)

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Aighty, I just went ahead and updated my version to 'beautiful pampered young wife' with a footnote. :)

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Beautiful pampered little wife

Beautiful pampered young wife

Pampered beautiful little wife

Pampered beautiful young wife

Pampered little beautiful wife

Pampered young beautiful wife

Beautiful little pampered wife

Beautiful young pampered wife

=> Rearranging and interchanging the young and little are giving different sort of feels describing FJ :)

LOL this is exactly what I've spent the last 20 minutes doing. Except without the 'little' cause I'm personally set on 'young.'

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I think I will retain the word "little" in pampered beautiful wife to reflect the humour that Tang Qi is trying to portray in her words. It was meant to contain humour in its intent so that's what I will be doing.

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

I think I will retain the word "little" in pampered beautiful wife to reflect the humour that Tang Qi is trying to portray in her words. It was meant to contain humour in its intent so that's what I will be doing.

I can see now how humorous it is, when toddler BGG sums up to Zhe Yan and to his father the wife DH would marry in the future. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

9 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I can see now how humorous it is, when toddler BGG sums up to Zhe Yan and to his father the wife DH would marry in the future. ^_^

Zhe Yan was the funniest in that scene, he could barely hold back his elation that Di Jun was so shocked hahahahaha! The thing was he did pamper her later. All that better food and high quality clothing. What can we say? :tounge_wink:

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1