[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, daffodil25 said:

Anyways, all that is to say is I'm having major withdrawal and was wondering if anyone could link/dm me to extra goodies that I may have missed?

The forum has grown to more than 800 pages, back from when it was over a hundred before the drama was aired. :)

Hmm, have you spotted DH at the woods when he just arrived in Fanyin Valley, when FJ was thinking she's dreaming that she's seeing DH? Or when FJ and Xiao Yan was just leaving the restaurant after comforting Meng Shao?

Or when the mourning flower pin went away  for good as DH trains FJ for the competition? Now that one's a bit tricky to spot. :lol:

There was a discussion before of the rolling kiss, with slow-mo GIFs. I think it's somewhere at the 200 or 300 something pages. ^_^

2 hours ago, daffodil25 said:

Has there been news about an uncut version or at least deleted scenes being released? I'm sad that they didn't keep at least the fate stone bit because that is truly where you explicitly know how much Donghua loves Fengjiu. Knowing that it was FILMED, it feels like such a waste both for fans and financially for them to not release it? Forgive my ignorance as I don't watch CDramas that often, but how likely/often do cut/deleted material get released? Is it usually a matter of, if it isn't released within an X amount of time, it likely isn't going to be at all? 

There was a petition before to get it released. Though perhaps, maybe, it will still be later on should Tencent decide to give the similar treatment as it did for The Untamed. 

ELOD is currently on air in Malaysia and Korea. Uhm, I noticed some posts in Twitter of the Japanese folks wanting to see it too in YT, but couldn't due to location block.

By the way, you can also check out this forum's blog! Posted there are outtakes of the novel, some Q&A with Tang Qi, the author, and the translated prologue and first chapter of The Lotus Steps.

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Hmm, have you spotted DH at the woods when he just arrived in Fanyin Valley, when FJ was thinking she's dreaming that she's seeing DH? Or when FJ and Xiao Yan was just leaving the restaurant after comforting Meng Shao?

Or when the mourning flower pin went away  for good as DH trains FJ for the competition? Now that one's a bit tricky to spot. :lol:

I can only find the restaurant one. The rest is too hard!

• LOL 3

11 hours ago, Megan said:

I can only find the restaurant one. The rest is too hard!

The snowy woods require a lot of staring to spot the back view there of a platinum haired deity who's also in all white! :lol:

EP 32, when she was training, during one of her falls. Watch closely that one look and the very subtle gesture. ^_^

13 hours ago, Megan said:

While I doubt concubine Chu Wan actually loved Xuan Ren, I must admit she sounded truly disappointed that he didn’t really care about her just before she goes off to jail. In that accusation, it sounds like she sees him as more than a means to get the jade.

She was not getting the same attention Xiao Jiu was having, considering that JH Chu Wan there was supposed to be the peacekeeping bride. Perhaps status wise, being "honorary" princess of the rival kingdom, she should have been preferred more than FJ who has no solid background in mortal realm. The jealous and envious heads were rearing in that confrontation.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

EP 32, when she was training, during one of her falls. Watch closely that one look and the very subtle gesture. ^_^

I was watching for the white flower pin on the snow vanishing but failed

• LOL 2

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

There was a petition before to get it released. Though perhaps, maybe, it will still be later on should Tencent decide to give the similar treatment as it did for The Untamed. 

ELOD is currently on air in Malaysia and Korea. Uhm, I noticed some posts in Twitter of the Japanese folks wanting to see it too in YT, but couldn't due to location block.

By the way, you can also check out this forum's blog! Posted there are outtakes of the novel, some Q&A with Tang Qi, the author, and the translated prologue and first chapter of The Lotus Steps.

https://elodsoompie.wixsite.com/home

I did check out the forum - it's fantastic! Looking forward to the next books in the series!

Only worry I have about ELOD getting the same treatment as The Untamed is that ELOD (very regrettably) doesn't seem as popular as The Untamed was? I might be mistaken though.  Hopefully they are benevolent enough to just release it. What do they have to loose anyways?

Although I understand they didn't have the copyright for The Pillow Book when EL aired/went into production, it's very regrettable that they made up a storyline fo DongFeng in EL (which was a good plot) which caused viewers to look forward to the continuation of that non-canon story in ELOD. While I understand being disappointed, it's sad people couldn't look past it to enjoy the drama. I loved that it stayed so true to the book but reorganized in a way that made sense in drama format. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, daffodil25 said:

I did check out the forum - it's fantastic! Looking forward to the next books in the series!

Only worry I have about ELOD getting the same treatment as The Untamed is that ELOD (very regrettably) doesn't seem as popular as The Untamed was? I might be mistaken though.  Hopefully they are benevolent enough to just release it. What do they have to loose anyways?

Although I understand they didn't have the copyright for The Pillow Book when EL aired/went into production, it's very regrettable that they made up a storyline fo DongFeng in EL (which was a good plot) which caused viewers to look forward to the continuation of that non-canon story in ELOD. While I understand being disappointed, it's sad people couldn't look past it to enjoy the drama. I loved that it stayed so true to the book but reorganized in a way that made sense in drama format. 

It was unfortunate that COVID19 happened at the time of the airing. The most the artists can do is to promote via Weibo. Tencent has FB localised pages so at least there was something for international viewers. 

It was like a catch22 situation. The artists can not really promote much as it would be deemed insensitive by the public during the height of pandemic. They may have wanted to promote more, but can only manage in social media, and that too, was limited.

From around 6mo so far, ELOD has more than 8B views, which is way more than other popular series for the same number of months after release. 

Well, one can hope Tencent would too later on release special edition of ELOD, just as it did Untamed.  The Untamed by the way has a new animated chibies like take, called The Founder of Diabolism Q via WeTV on end of July.

About the preference of many with TMOPB DH and FJ, I guess it's also because of the audience reach of the series. It was so popular and had different networks airing it aside from what's uploaded online. Unfortunately, TMOPB DH and FJ had a hanging story there, and those who watched it would want a closure for them in the next book adaptation.

The lot of it though, I believe, were more of fandom wars between the leads' fans, other artists' fans, and even among the fans themselves. The numbers were more than significant due the sheer volume of followers or supporters who have their own views...I'm sure you're already aware of the many brouhahas from ELOD pre-production until airing. ^_^

Some were too impatient and dropped it before getting to the really good parts which were from EP 24 onwards. Though I also liked the mortal realm arc, I detested the demons there. The mortal realm was a bit dragging due to the demons mainly. Without them, at least two episodes can be reduced in that arc, which could have been allocated to the more important finale episodes.

Like you, I'm very appreciative that ELOD was as true as possible to the novel. Most of the few changes were good. It's also understandable that some scenes were modified because the CGI to reproduce it as the book narrates would be very hefty, or too difficult to shoot realistically enough. For example, the Biyiniao folks in their bird form bowing to DH. Or the supposedly thousands of immortals watching Bingcang ceremony. 

Best of all, I'm so happy that fans prevailed on who plays DH and FJ in their actual, real story. Honestly, there's no DH other than Vengo, and no FJ but Reba. All others supposed candidates can not compare to these two, hehehe. And I love it that Si Ming and Lian Song were still the same actors, that Bai Qian is still Yang Mi appearing for a cameo, and that except for Bai Zhen, Zhe Yan, and Ali, the Qing Qiu royal family members all reprised their roles.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, daffodil25 said:

Apart from that, the way FJ was written in TMOPB really put off some people. Which I totally get. 

If FJ wasn't so cute and pretty, she could easily be classified as a stalker in TMOPB! It is rather disappointing because FJ is so much more in The Pillowbook. Of all the FL's in novel and dramas, I find FJ's character to be the most admirable and charming. 

The slow build up in ELOD most likely didn't help. Most viewers judged the drama within the first few episodes. 

However,  I believe this drama's fan base will continue to grow. 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:53 AM, MayanEcho said:

You're not alone, and I don't mind not moving on from it. Hahaha.

What I love with ELOD is not the love story itself, but the resonating core values the characters treasure, cherish, and follow.

There's just so much to see and enjoy while watching it. Moreover, kids can safely see it because there are quite few sensitive scenes, such as the cliff jumps and deliberate cutting. Even the "gory" parts of war and fighting are relatively tamed. I say tamed because there aren't sounds of bones crunching or screams of agony. 

Kids can even learn a thing or two while seeing the series.

ELOD teaches the values of being grateful and honouring promises. It also instills bounderies when doing so. Paying debts of gratitude is not up to the point of losing dignity. Honouring promises made is never a reason to be a slave to someone's wishes.

The two main characters of ELOD were exemplary models on being answerable to the consequences of their actions. That they are daring is because they are also that willing to bear the responsibility of undesirable results of what they did. They are acknowledging and accepting their mistakes, rather than shifting the blame away from themselves.

ELOD also points out that there's no good outcome in breaking laws and flouting rules. Neither should somebody else shoulder the penalty for your wrongdoing. One cannot always lie their way to blamelessness. One cannot pretend at all times to make oneself seem better or more superior than others. Eventually, the lies catch up with as much or even more devastation as payback.

The love story portion is all about being equal on how much they feel for each other, and what they can give and do to be together for eternity. Selflessness for the sake of their beloved is a virtue DH and FJ both hold dear. Selfishness and abuse of trust on the other hand, can never be equated to love.

Being true as a friend also gains you people who are caring of you, loyal to you, and love you. They are behind you in your endeavours, and they don't cast you away due to your choices. They will not, however, tolerate your wrongdoing. They will call you out before you make mistakes.

I'd definitely want ELOD to receive an award for the hard work of the artists and how they did so well in giving life to the story and to their roles. If not, I'd wish ELOD more recognition and more viewers who will love watching it again and again.

This is beautifully written! 

I also like how the main leads are not portrait as perfect. They make mistakes but no matter what, they keep going. They don't sit around and wait for people to solve their issues. 

10 hours ago, Megan said:

While I doubt concubine Chu Wan actually loved Xuan Ren, I must admit she sounded truly disappointed that he didn’t really care about her just before she goes off to jail. In that accusation, it sounds like she sees him as more than a means to get the jade.

It did seem like Concubine Chu Wan was starting to have feelings for Xuan Ren. It is understandable. Even though Xuan Ren had no romantic feelings for her, he treated her well and made attempts to listen to her. 

On 7/7/2020 at 12:56 PM, Ninky said:

Well, unfortunately for me, a co-worker tested positive for Covid-19 and everyone who worked last mon, tue and wed last week had to get tested. Please hope with me that the test is negative so I can get my freedom from self-isolation. I also can't work until after the results come out! 

Fingers doubly crossed. I won't get my results back till Thursday! Such a stressful time for me atm. :criesariver:

hey @Ninky I am super late, but hopefully you and your family are doing okay.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I like both hair style. I just didn't like his robe in TMOPB. 

Same, his robes in TMOPB look either too shiny, or it belongs to courtroom. :lol: Well, I liked his TMOPB white outfit.

• LOL 1

5 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Same, his robes in TMOPB look either too shiny, or it belongs to courtroom. :lol: Well, I liked his TMOPB white outfit.

Oh he looked majestic in white with a abit of purple. 

I was thinking in modern setting DH would make an amazing lawyer :lol:

Translation:

FJ: I don’t want to go yet, I still want to play.

DH: Let's play together at home.

That sounds about right!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I was thinking in modern setting, DH would make an amazing lawyer :lol:

Oh, totally. Or a judge. He will nail it!

2 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

Translation:

FJ: I don’t want to go yet, I still want to play.

DH: Let's play together at home.

That sounds about right!

Hahaha! What will they play of, hide and seek with magical disappearing act? :naughty: 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Hello everyone,

I have tested negative for Covid19 over 7 days after first exposure but because 3 more people tested positive, everyone working at the same place will need to be quarantined for 14 days and retested on day 11 to confirm negative result. 

Hence I am not able to even leave my home for two weeks and the four walls are already like a prison 5 days in. Was in a terrible mood over this but I think I am starting to feel emotionally better now.

I will be posting more often on the blog since I am physically trapped until I am to get retested and the results returned. And this will give me more time to do more translation and editing work for Lotus Step.

It may also be time to post favourite moments translation of The Pillow Book.

Stay tuned for blog updates!

On 7/10/2020 at 4:04 PM, MayanEcho said:

Oh, totally. Or a judge. He will nail it!

Hahaha! What will they play of, hide and seek with magical disappearing act? :naughty: 

More like the naughty type of play....:naughty:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

I have tested negative for Covid19 over 7 days after first exposure but because 3 more people tested positive, everyone working at the same place will need to be quarantined for 14 days and retested on day 11 to confirm negative result. 

Glad to know you're negative on the first test. Though you still have to be quarantined for two more weeks, the days will pass by quickly. All the best too for your family. They must be missing you so much now.

Wishing you all the best that the 2nd test results will still be negative. Hoping too that your COVID19 positive coworkers will favourably respond to the treatments available, and that they get well very soon.

Looking forward to your blog updates and posts! 

:foryou:

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

Of course, that's the only kind of play with FJ DH can think of...and so willingly and quite actively and very shamelessly participate in. :naughty: 

One little boy gets banned in some areas of Tai Chen palace and he's sent out to count stars. Or he gets sent to Qingyun Palace for an impromptu pajama party/vacation with Uncle Ali. Or to Lian Song's place, hahaha! Him being DH's half-raised half-son, it's his turn to do the same for BGG! 

:hwaiting2:

• Like 2
  • Naughty 2

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Hello everyone,

Hence I am not able to even leave my home for two weeks and the four walls are already like a prison 5 days in. Was in a terrible mood over this but I think I am starting to feel emotionally better now.

I will be posting more often on the blog since I am physically trapped until I am to get retested and the results returned. And this will give me more time to do more translation and editing work for Lotus Step.

It's great to hear that the test results came out negative. In the mean time you can rest and relax more at home and we would definitely look forward to the translations. :please:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, angelangie said:

i like this pictures....its a very dreamy and fantasy come true :)

cr: thepillowbook89

After everything they went through, to see DH and FJ happily together with BGG is pure bless.

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Hello everyone,

So glad the rest is negative. Hopefully you get some decent rest for the next 14 days and have family to drop of delicious meals.

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Of course, that's the only kind of play with FJ DH can think of...and so willingly and quite actively and very shamelessly participate in. :naughty: 

One little boy gets banned in some areas of Tai Chen palace and he's sent out to count stars. Or he gets sent to Qingyun Palace for an impromptu pajama party/vacation with Uncle Ali. Or to Lian Song's place, hahaha! Him being DH's half-raised half-son, it's his turn to do the same for BGG! 

DH would probably put a force field around FJ and his bedroom ;)

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

Hello everyone,

Take care and always stay safe. I know how you feel staying at home for 2 weeks but also think you are keeping everyone else safe by doing so and therefore lessen the number of people being affected. Not everybody can handle the complications of COVID-19. 

Can't wait for more Lotus Step and any other ELoD updates. Thank you!!!!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

DH would probably put a force field around FJ and his bedroom ;)

PR headache for ZL if this leaks, hahaha! Shush all gossipers once and for all by confirming that DH has always been setting up forcefields with FJ. ^_^

• LOL 4