[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

42 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

But I live under a rock >.< so I didn't actually even realize that there was a drama for TPB until like a week or two after it finished airing. I was so excited when I found out and that I didn't even have to wait weekly for them to release new episodes, I just binged it in like three days. 

Ahahaha, we're almost similar there. I started watching Cdrama only last December. The first story I even saw had a disastrous ending because it ended at the middle of the novel it was based from.

January I tried again, this time with TMOPB. Which I really loved and binged watched, even if I thought its book translation was quite bland. By mid-January, I found out about The Pillow Book, downloaded it, and read within the day. However, the best bonus is finding out online that there's an adaptation about to be aired in just a few days! :love:

42 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

At my current pace, I should be done sometime around the end of August or early September, I'll just send it out to everyone I've emailed before, and if you're no longer interested by then, you can just ignore it. 

Oh, I'd be looking forward to it! I've no issues over different styles of translation or who is the translator. My concern would always be whether the translated material is still the same feels, angst, spirit, and mood as written by the author in the original text. I'm very appreciative that you're putting in your work some of the redacted portions.

:sparklyeyes:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Ahahaha, we're almost similar there. I started watching Cdrama only last December. The first story I even saw had a disastrous ending because it ended at the middle of the novel it was based from.

Uh, that drama wouldn't happen to be Princess Agents, would it? :sweatingbullets:

I'm one of those people who LOVES spoilers, so I try reaaaally hard to wait until the drama's ended and I can find out the ending first before I start watching. Like, the waiting just drives me insane. So I started watching Princess Agents already knowing what the ending was, so thankfully, no shock there. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Uh, that drama wouldn't happen to be Princess Agents, would it? :sweatingbullets:

I'm one of those people who LOVES spoilers, so I try reaaaally hard to wait until the drama's ended and I can find out the ending first before I start watching. Like, the waiting just drives me insane. So I started watching Princess Agents already knowing what the ending was, so thankfully, no shock there. 

Yep! Ahahaha! Will there ever be second part for that? Pity, coz the novel is good. I don't suppose the plagiarism issue has been resolved until now. YT views per episode is 8 figures at least, so kinda sure it would have been picked up for the 2nd part if there wasn't a big problem.

Mwahahah, one king there is kinda DH like, stalking his first and only love.

I watched it by chance - due to curiosity because I've seen clips passing by my FB feeds. I finally watched one clip, that one of Yuwen Yue teaching Chu Quiao how to use the bow for the ice arrow. Liked the BGM, so I watched the whole thing until it imploded at the "middle story" ending.

I was kinda aware of its "ending" due to the clips FB parade. I just didn't bother with the whys of it until it stopped and there wasn't any continuation after few years since last episode aired. ^_^

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

January I tried again, this time with TMOPB. Which I really loved and binged watched, even if I thought its book translation was quite bland. By mid-January, I found out about The Pillow Book, downloaded it, and read within the day. However, the best bonus is finding out online that there's an adaptation about to be aired in just a few days! :love:

Oh, I'd be looking forward to it! I've no issues over different styles of translation or who is the translator. My concern would always be whether the translated material is still the same feels, angst, spirit, and mood as written by the author in the original text. I'm very appreciative that you're putting in your work some of the redacted portions.

:sparklyeyes:

We will be working on the famous scenes of the Pillow book for our blog as we have mentioned. I am currently raw translating chapter 2 part one of lotus step. Note we will be releasing it in the same part order as the chinese version. 

@SC2019 is working on something really interesting :) which @MayanEcho is in the know about!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Aari sky said:

I wouldn't be this sad if the series that toped ELOD were deserving but rom-coms with loose plot, average acting that is filled by fluffy moments are ranked higher especially "I've fallen for you" & "the romance of tiger and rose".. I think ELOD haters are deliberately dragging down the ratings.. minor things like lightings, poor costume and poor editing can be over looked when a plot has depth and intellectual writings with stellar cast compared to series which purely exists for "moe" contents with illogical themes :cries:

Ah but I loved The Romance of Tiger and Rose. The whole cast portayed their characters well and yes it was light and fluffy but it still had its angst and sad moments (I cried watching the end). 

Still I'm happy ELOD is still in top 10 despite all the haters and negative comments, and even had the highest number of reviews. :wub:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

We will be working on the famous scenes of the Pillow book for our blog as we have mentioned. I am currently raw translating chapter 2 part one of lotus step. Note we will be releasing it in the same part order as the chinese version. 

@SC2019 is working on something really interesting :) which @MayanEcho is in the know about!

Yay! Excited much for the next translated Lotus Step chapter! 

And Pillow Book most poignant scenes.

And of what's @SC2019 working on.

:transforms:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chsaf said:

Ah but I loved The Romance of Tiger and Rose. The whole cast portayed their characters well and yes it was light and fluffy but it still had its angst and sad moments (I cried watching the end). 

Still I'm happy ELOD is still in top 10 despite all the haters and negative comments, and even had the highest number of reviews. :wub:

I also love rom-coms, they are my guilty pleasures, but like I said these genre exists for pure "fluffy" contents, like there is no solid plot. U can literally wear lingerie and walk in public during ancient era still it would be potrayed in comic light, writers can do watever they want in this Universe coz there is no Logic or definite rules. So to see such genre top Intellectual writings is very sad for me coz TMOPB & ELOD etc are one of a kind whereas u'll find fluffy themes like "romance of tiger and rose" in large number for each year. infact my most favorite scene is from "I've fallen for you" where ML sings that song during FL fake wedding. But no matter how we calculate ELOD is superior to "Moe" series coz of the definite structure of its universe:sad1:

Also the ratings were from "douban" this was the very site where yangzi's crazy fans went and down voted ELOD out of spite :smashes:

p.s: acc to me, out of all the rom-coms the only series that had some logical structure for it's plot was "Eternal love 1 & 2" writers took time to properly build the plot and it's supernatural elements.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aari sky said:

Also the ratings were from "douban" this was the very site where yangzi's crazy fans went and down voted ELOD out of spite

The Golden Eagle Goddess award is up again this year, right?

She's nominated and if she doesn't win again..? She's at the top apparently, but she's up against Yang Mi and Angelababy.

If she wins this time around, that will take off some fan hate against Dilraba. However, woe to the one who wins it instead, because she might be the next target of hating from her fans. However, if the winner is way more established than her, her fans will be chastened.

• Like 3

@UnluckyWhiteCat, @MayanEcho Speaking of Princess Agents, I was one who followed it from the beginning to the end. You can't imagine how many curses we threw at the production company for the awful ending here at soompi :lol: Even though ELOD has choppy editing in the last few episodes, PA had it much worse. At least we got the HEA in ELOD. And I'm forever thankful for that. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

16 minutes ago, pawla said:

@UnluckyWhiteCat, @MayanEcho Speaking of Princess Agents, I was one who followed it from the beginning to the end. You can't imagine how many curses we threw at the production company for the awful ending here at soompi :lol: Even though ELOD has choppy editing in the last few episodes, PA had it much worse. At least we got the HEA in ELOD. And I'm forever thankful for that. 

Aww, I can imagine! I felt so sad watching the last episode (with that BGM :tears:), and then so very dismayed after finding out why there's no continuation. I liked the 4 main characters there, and even the support casts were also good. Yue Qi actor is now making waves himself, right? 

If any of them main 4 becomes part of 3L3W future adaptations, I'll be very happy. It was really nice seeing the Su Jin actress who was also in PA. I won't mind seeing the Yue Qi and Xiao Ce actors as well. 

• Like 1

Watching a clip again,

Zhihe wants to confront Jiheng, angry that this marriage would take away Dong Hua and humiliate her. Um, how exactly is she being humiliated? She was never a suitor to begin with....

also; do you think Dong Hua knows it was his little fox that left him potatoes?

“Everything about her is wonderful.”

“Since I picked her, naturally everything about her is wonderful.” 

PS: I Copycat DJ words .He glorified about the love of his life Xiao Bai... whereas mine is to glorifying about one of the best drama that I loved in my life .. ELOD

:heart4:

ELOD drama was not perfect..the editing parts especially ...still felt bitter and cursed at editing team tho ... But despite a lot of lacking or deficiency as we did awared of, I still loved it. Still my no1 cdrama . I love everything about it . Apparently the amazing chemistry between Guangre/Dongfeng couple "concealed" all of the flawed.. don't know about anyone opinions but I've already passed the stage  (from the second time I re-watched it)not to cared about the flawed that ELOD's had especially the costumes. Maybe because, although the costumes look cheap, but since both Mainlead (VengoReba) is beautiful and gorgeous , their beauty always "outshined" their 'cheap' clothes. Agree with DJ...l love FJ in red ( Red of saha-Manjusaka) and also agree with FJ.. DJ look so good in purple..

PB1 Page 312

At this time when she lay still inside the force field, her elegant features were more pronounced.
White skirt white blouse didn't suit her, however. It was the enchanting
bright red of Saha-Manjusaka that suited her better. 

PB1 page 186 

From Heaven to Earth, no one was as eternally loyal to this purple color of garment and could wear it as beautifully as Donghua.

Dongfeng's mesmerising beautiful love story and also Guangre's super amazing sizzling chemistry has made ELOD'S Greatly Amazingly Wonderful drama.

PB2 page 87

“Very beautiful,” he told her. “And she'll be even more beautiful when she grows up.” He paused then added: “She has a good personality too.” Then he recalled: “Also very talented. Talented in everything.” And finally
concluded: “Everything about her is wonderful.” Then as though he was speaking to himself: “Since I picked her, naturally everything about her is wonderful.”

• Like 2
  • Love 3

43 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

ELOD drama was not perfect..the editing parts especially ...still felt bitter and cursed at editing team tho ... But despite a lot of lacking or deficiency as we did awared of, I still loved it. Still my no1 cdrama . I love everything about it . Apparently the amazing chemistry between Guangre/Dongfeng couple "concealed" all of the flawed.. don't know about anyone opinions but I've already passed the stage  (from the second time I re-watched it)not to cared about the flawed that ELOD's had especially the costumes. Maybe because, although the costumes look cheap, but since both Mainlead (VengoReba) is beautiful and gorgeous , their beauty always "outshined" their 'cheap' clothes. Agree with DJ...l love FJ in red ( Red of saha-Manjusaka) and DJ look so good in purple..

I feel the same with you over ELOD. It's almost perfect except really for the editing at the last few episodes. That's where the lingering bitterness is - when editing team removed the important parts such as Aranya in jail, and barely shown Di Jun about destiny.

I'm actually fine that their outfits are simple, as I believe in less is more. They look elegant and neat. My gripe though is on Bingcang ceremony, and even the wedding ceremony too. They should have had different outfits for those occasions. Not even for everyone, but at least for the wedding, the Bais would, and on the Bingcang ceremony, at least FJ, Bai Zhi, Bai Yi, and Bai Zhen could have had another set. Or some accessories or layer to make their clothes look different.

If those sets of special outfits were not possible, at least FJ could have had a new dress, preferably red for Bingcang ceremony. As it is, it looked as if she didn't bother to change the clothes she was already wearing for days. :tears:

The funny thing is that DH was in a one time outfit for her Bingcang (correct me if I'm wrong, hehehe). Nonetheless, like DH said, FJ is perfect the way she is. It's just wishful thinking that she was in red to match DH's vivid purple.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I feel the same with you over ELOD. It's almost perfect except really for the editing at the last few episodes. That's where the lingering bitterness is - when editing team removed the important parts such as Aranya in jail, and barely shown Di Jun about destiny.

I'm actually fine that their outfits are simple, as I believe in less is more. They look elegant and neat. My gripe though is on Bingcang ceremony, and even the wedding ceremony too. They should have had different outfits for those occasions. Not even for everyone, but at least for the wedding, the Bais would, and on the Bingcang ceremony, at least FJ, Bai Zhi, Bai Yi, and Bai Zhen could have had another set. Or some accessories or layer to make their clothes look different.

If those sets of special outfits were not possible, at least FJ could have had a new dress, preferably red for Bingcang ceremony. As it is, it looked as if she didn't bother to change the clothes she was already wearing for days. :tears:

The funny thing is that DH was in a one time outfit for her Bingcang (correct me if I'm wrong, hehehe). Nonetheless, like DH said, FJ is perfect the way she is. It's just wishful thinking that she was in red to match DH's vivid purple.

The reason for the choppy editing stems from having to shorten the show by 4 episodes. And the too long mortal arc. That should have been constrained within 8 episodes and not 12. If the mortal arc is cut by 4 episodes, this time will be better utilised in the last 4 episodes. 

The mortal arc was not the important meat of the story at all. In the book, it’s just the catalyst for her to steal the fruit and enter the dream to repay Ye Qing Ti.

The events leading to the ending were far more important. This includes Dong Hua declaring that he has never feared destiny, etc. I would rather see scenes depicting his desperate search for her and the time he spent in the Holy Blue Sea building and growing all the things she said she wanted grown there than a bloated mortal arc.

Regarding the red, they avoided her wearing that color as Feng jiu to avoid visual confusion with Aranya.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

56 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Regarding the red, they avoided her wearing that color as Feng jiu to avoid visual confusion with Aranya.

I was kinda thinking of that red dress she wore in TMOPB ep28, and if she could have worn a similar cut dress on Bingcang. Hmm, actually any one time outfit that will indicate Bingcang as the grandest and most special Qing Qiu occasion.

56 minutes ago, Ninky said:

The events leading to the ending were far more important. This includes Dong Hua declaring that he has never feared destiny, etc. I would rather see scenes depicting his desperate search for her and the time he spent in the Holy Blue Sea building and growing all the things she said she wanted grown there than a bloated mortal arc.

Wishing those were shown. Or him asking the birds to come every month in Bihai Cangling. Or when he went to Qing Qiu to ask for her whereabouts. That Bai Zhi asking Dong Hua to divorce FJ, and Zhe Yan telling him how she asked to leave.

Mortal arc - JH and Minsu look alike should really not be there at all. Nie Chuyin scene there could just be him meeting Prince Ying to plot against SXR. That would have been around 2 episodes less.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Megan said:

Watching a clip again,

Zhihe wants to confront Jiheng, angry that this marriage would take away Dong Hua and humiliate her. Um, how exactly is she being humiliated? She was never a suitor to begin with....

also; do you think Dong Hua knows it was his little fox that left him potatoes?

The wedding will humiliate her because it's Zhi He's habit to bully/confront/warn off other fairies and immortals not to bewitch her foster brother Dong Hua? :lol: Refer to what she did/said at Ep26.

Basing from the show, the way DH smiled and looked around, he seems to know the roasted yams left at the pavillion is from his pet. He also took it with him.

Note that the fox was still supposed to be confined that time. He knew his pet is smart and can escape if she wanted to, so he is appreciative that she did, to cook for him her gift/peace offering.

None has been said in the book though if he actually received FJ's wedding gift of roasted yams.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Basing from the show, the way DH smiled and looked around, he seems to know the roasted yams left at the pavillion is from his pet. He also took it with him.

Note that the fox was still supposed to be confined that time. He knew his pet is smart and can escape if she wanted to, so he is appreciative that she did, to cook for him her gift/peace offering.

None has been said in the book though if he actually received FJ's wedding gift of roasted yams.

Hmm...I wonder if he realized it was meant as a parting gift when Chonglin reported its absence.

also, since Tangqi was involved in the drama script, he probably received it in the book too, i guess

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Megan said:

Hmm...I wonder if he realized it was meant as a parting gift when Chonglin reported its absence.

also, since Tangqi was involved in the drama script, he probably received it in the book too, i guess

Other than this:

Fengjiu was going to leave Jiuchongtian that very night. Before leaving, she asked the cook at Siming's estate to roast a few yams for her. Carrying them on her back, she quietly circled the 13th sky and left the bag in front of Taichen Palace's gates. It was a gift for Donghua's wedding, and also the last tribute to their attachment. She promised to remember the care he had given her the past few months. Not having anything precious to give, she hoped the yams would reach Donghua. Would he think of this little fox when he saw them? But, if he didn't, then it didn't matter either.( PB1, pp167-168)

Nothing was mentioned if DH received it. If you read further along page 168, FJ was cornered by ZH in JH's wedding finery when she brought the yams. Who knows what ZH did after FJ left her gift?

DH is more than smart enough to work out it was also a farewell gift. He did not, after all, check on the fox since she scratched JH. He would have understood that due to him not seeing his baby fox for a long time, when they were very close in the past, his pet would perceive his continuous absence as dismissal from his life. 

Prolonged absence, and lack of communication. This is the first time FJ left DH due to these reasons. The second time was having more complicated issues, but still the same reasons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hello. I’m torn between getting Weibo so I can follow my fav Chinese celebrities since obviously they don’t have Facebook or Twitter (that I can find at least), but does Weibo even have an English version?

also; does anyone know the official Weibo accounts of Dilireba and Gao Wei Guang? And Tang Qi’s account? She’s posting Lotus Step there right?