[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

There's also a twerk reaction now, and angry was changed to shocked. :lol:

Bi Fang sure looks regal. Red and blue plumages.

畢方鳥 Bifang niao – a bird which resembles a one-legged crane, has red markings on blue plumage, and a white beak. As recorded in 韓非子 Hanfeizi, it is a divine bird that accompanied the Yellow Emperor's chariot when he traveled to an assembly of the gods and demons on Tai Mountain. (PB1, p213)

Huh, at least Bai Zhen won't have a bird ride this time around when Chiyan beast is tamed and trained. :P

Yeah, too bad the Chiyan beast wasn't as in the book. I also wish FJ was made to act like in the novel when she faced off with it, but I guess CGI or shooting it was difficult to execute exactly as in the story. Nonetheless, most of the CGI in ELOD were very good. My favourites are Cang'he in Evil Lotus land, FJ as fox, and the fireflies. 

Will this make you feel better? It's not DH per se, but it's so him. :)

3d69310f286025dc4b4ea8287f8d9914.jpg

One legged crane?..huh 

Love your lists ...Also my favourites ...CGI in ELOD , all's good. Loved it.

I loved it everytime cang'he sword make it appearance  exp :

The one in Wicked lotus shpere was called Buddha's nimbus . isn't it?

When Cang'he produces a thousands of blades to destroyed 7000 of dark spirits that XY has collected in seconds.

Images of countless blades appeared, swallowing up the dark energy. 

When Cang'he an inches almost drilling XY's forehead when he was tied up in the middle of Heavenly court...the almighty Cang'he speed tho..

The photo.. remarkablely beautiful man..

Who is he?

30 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm glad this was narrated in the adaptation. 

As a seasoned warrior, its second nature for DH to plan ahead for possible scenarios. He'd know the strengths and limitations of the army he's leading, as well as the individual capabilities of his fighters.

With FJ though, he can not really chart a course of actions to win her back due to the sea of misunderstandings between them and past hurts over him.

:brokenheart:

FJ , his weakness and also his strengths..his whole world. 

You are right this song is fitted to describes how DH felt toward FJ.

You are the reason - Calum Scott

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

37 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

The photo.. remarkablely beautiful man..

Who is he?

It showed up in my Pinterest. Seems it's based from a character in Guardian, a Chinese web drama.

37 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

You are right this song is fitted to describes how DH felt toward FJ.

You are the reason - Calum Scott

The song is so DH and FJ. The "fix what I've broken" is true for both. I love both versions, the solo version and the duet with Leona Lewis.

Spoiler

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

There goes my hands shaking
And you are the reason
My heart keeps bleeding
I need you now, oh

If I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day oh
Keeping you safe
I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

I don't wanna fight no more
I don't wanna hide no more (you are)
I don't wanna to cry no more come back, I need you to hold me (that you are the reason)
A little closer now, just a little closer now
Come a little closer, I need you to hold me tonight

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
'Cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

• Like 1
  • Love 2

PB1 page 199

Donghua seemed to freeze at her appearance.

Donghua sat by the chessboard looking at her with a faraway absorption.
It was the same sort of expression he used when he forged a sword, crafted
an incense burner, or glazed a tea set.

A burst of snowy wind blew the graceful
flowers from their branches, and before they could hit the water surface,
they dissolved into white mist. A school of silver fish gathered ‘round the
roots, occasionally jumping from the water. Somewhere within the hazy
fog came an unknown voice singing somber Buddhist hymns
: “Subhuti, to
attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi, one should know, should perceive,
should understand the dharma, and not produce images of the dharma..

This part get me confused because where did those voice came from?..or

Could it be DH inner voice subconsciously recites Buddhist hymns or mantras to calming his rapid heartbeat or skip a beat (the possibility  - he seemed to freeze at her appearance) astounded by FJ'S original form/appearance..a magnificent Scarlet Fox with nine-tailed.

From Heaven down to Earth, she was the only nine-tailed red fox in the world, too precious, and too desirable..

Thought .. anyone?:)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

PB1 page 199

Donghua seemed to freeze at her appearance.

Donghua sat by the chessboard looking at her with a faraway absorption.
It was the same sort of expression he used when he forged a sword, crafted
an incense burner, or glazed a tea set.

A burst of snowy wind blew the graceful
flowers from their branches, and before they could hit the water surface,
they dissolved into white mist. A school of silver fish gathered ‘round the
roots, occasionally jumping from the water. Somewhere within the hazy
fog came an unknown voice singing somber Buddhist hymns
: “Subhuti, to
attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi, one should know, should perceive,
should understand the dharma, and not produce images of the dharma..

Could it be DH inner voice subconsciously recites Buddhist hymns or mantras to calming his rapid heartbeat or skip a beat (the possibility  - he seemed to freeze at her appearance) astounded by FJ'S original form/appearance..a magnificent Scarlet Fox with nine-tailed.

From Heaven down to Earth, she was the only nine-tailed red fox in the world, too precious, and too desirable..

Thought .. anyone?:)

Since this seems to be in FJ's POV, the unknown voice singing in the background  could be Buddha who was visiting and staying in Tai Chen palace...

...This year's winter solstice fell on today, which was why Zhonglin didn't think His Majesty needed to rush. Moreover, he had never been the type to rush. There were still two months when he could come and go freely into and out of the valley. Yet he left the reverent Buddha who was guesting at Taichen Palace for Mount Fuyu thousands of miles away... (PB1, p183)

...Or Lian Song himself. 

Within the encircling fog and mist, Donghua indeed sat under an enormous Bailu canopy in the distance, engaging in a round of chess. The game was arranged on the water surface, fairy mist wafting all around. But with Fengjiu's limited power, all she could see was the vague space that had been contracted by Donghua. Liansong, whom Xiao Yan spoke of, was no more than a white silhouette in her eyes. (PB1, p196)

That white silhouette, however, saw her very clearly. For Liansong, the only fairy worthy of his attention besides Cheng'yu was this young Qingqiu monarch. Ever since he befriended Donghua, he had never known him to have a particular interest in women. (PB1, p197)

I'm more inclined to believe it was Buddha singing somewhere in Tai Chen Palace, near enough to where Lian Song is playing chess with Dong Hua via folded space. It's just so uncharacteristic of LS that if he sings, he will sing somber Buddhist hymns to DH. :lol:

The footnote for the hymn in PB1, p199 is so apt for DH, and also to FJ. Gosh, they should have both paid attention to what was being sung.

31 Diamond Sutra (Vajracchedika Prajnaparamita Sutra), Chapter 31: the Buddha explains to Elder Subhuti that everything is illusory and he should let go of his preconceptions in order to attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi, or supreme perfect wisdom.

:hwaiting2:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

I'm just going to assume it's just a random voice coming out from within the mist. I'm not gonna question it because this is a magical world after all... Ya'll are definitely thinking about these things much harder than I am LOL.

Here are the lines: 雾色缭绕中传来一阵幽远寂寞的佛音,不知谁在唱着几句经诗...

Roughly translated: "Somewhere within the hazy fog came a distant and lonely song, an unknown voice singing a few lines..."

*The bolded word technically means something closer to "Buddhist voice," but, well, it doesn't sound quite as nice. I think "佛音" doesn't necessarily have to be THE Buddha's voice, I think it's just like holy or something. Perhaps someone who actually understands Buddhism can clarify? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

I'm just going to assume it's just a random voice coming out from within the mist. I'm not gonna question it because this is a magical world after all... Ya'll are definitely thinking about these things much harder than I am LOL.

The minute details of TQ's writing are so fascinating, almost each has a story of its own. :D

:winkx:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Here are the lines: 雾色缭绕中传来一阵幽远寂寞的佛音,不知谁在唱着几句经诗...

Roughly translated: "Somewhere within the hazy fog came a distant and lonely song, an unknown voice singing a few lines..."

*The bolded word technically means something closer to "Buddhist voice," but, well, it doesn't sound quite as nice. I think "佛音" doesn't necessarily have to be THE Buddha's voice, I think it's just like holy or something. Perhaps someone who actually understands Buddhism can clarify? 

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The minute details of TQ's writing are so fascinating, almost each has a story of its own. :D

:winkx:

There another mentioned of Buddhist hymns in the book . The scene where Donghua
remained in the air as he collectedly looked at Fengjiu being trapped inside the force field.

PB1 page 313

Faint Buddhist hymns resounded in the air, immersed within melancholic
flute notes, fleetingly, then silent again. He lowered his gaze, his eyes
pausing on the Biyiniao Queen and her prostrated subjects. He coldly
spoke, “What exactly is that force field?”

• Like 2

Hey out of curiosity, can we talk about Dong Hua’s status. Technically he is a retired king of the universe...people still call him Dijun out of respect. And yes, he is still very powerful.

but...when he says he will make Feng Jiu his Queen (never mind that she is already a queen of Qingqiu), um...queen of what? 

I can understand Dong Hua and Zhihe retaining their titles of king and princess because of the ancient war times. And with regards to Feng Jiu and GG, they are called queen and Prince because they are Qingqiu royalty. But do Feng Jiu and GG actually get any titles from being related to the retired king?

Question;

do you think Dong Hua still practises swordfighting? 

Granted, he is retired, but apparently he keeps in shape somehow and as mentioned to Nie Chuyin, he does love swordfighting, and his skills are not rusty.

2 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

There another mentioned of Buddhist hymns in the book . The scene where Donghua
remained in the air as he collectedly looked at Fengjiu being trapped inside the force field.

PB1 page 313

flute notes, fleetingly, then silent again. He lowered his gaze, his eyes

Maybe it's like a sign to signify the importance of FJ to DH from the get go. And how he was mesmerised by her beauty and aura and fell for her there and then. :lol::fiercebunny:

That other mention of Buddha could also be to signify FJ's importance to DH. Just my opinion XD.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

PB1 page 313

flute notes, fleetingly, then silent again
. He lowered his gaze, his eyes

Basing from the footnote:

36阿蘭若 Alanre/Aranya is a Sanskrit name which means ‘belonging to the wilderness.’ I should also mention that Fanyin Valley means Sanskrit Valley. (PB1, p244)

The Buddhist hymns are likely an integral feature of what Fanyin Valley is. 

What is Fanyin, per se?

In page 548 of the book Silk Road: The Study of Drama and Culture by Fen Gao and Qiang Li:

Chanting sutras at the monasteries and dharma assemblies was called Pathaka, and the clear sounds articulated by chanting or by Brahama were named Buddhist Sound (Fanyin). The “preface” of Saddharmapundarika Sutra read, “Buddhist Sound was delicate and pleasant to the ear.” Lines of Saddharmapundarika Sutra read, “The most fabulous were the clear sounds uttered by the Buddha, called Fanyin.” Avatamsaka Sutra read, “ Make clear and delicate Fanyin.” According to Janavasabha Sutta in Volume 5 of Dirgh-agarma, Brahama could produce clear Fanyin, “Respectively upright, elegant, clear, profound and full, and spreading a long distance. Sounds with these five characteristics were called Fanyin.”

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Megan said:

Hey out of curiosity, can we talk about Dong Hua’s status. Technically he is a retired king of the universe...people still call him Dijun out of respect. And yes, he is still very powerful.

but...when he says he will make Feng Jiu his Queen (never mind that she is already a queen of Qingqiu), um...queen of what? 

I can understand Dong Hua and Zhihe retaining their titles of king and princess because of the ancient war times. And with regards to Feng Jiu and GG, they are called queen and Prince because they are Qingqiu royalty. But do Feng Jiu and GG actually get any titles from being related to the retired king? 

Question;

do you think Dong Hua still practises swordfighting? 

Granted, he is retired, but apparently he keeps in shape somehow and as mentioned to Nie Chuyin, he does love swordfighting, and his skills are not rusty.

Referring from below quote, DH is still emperor even if he has retired from official duties.

Thus FJ is his empress as DH is an emperor. And calling her his queen can also be personal endearment of DH to FJ. It doesn't have to be due to having a fiefdom to rule.

You've read that sort of endearment in other books, right, because as you've said before, you are interested in romance?

Even if BGG won't have a title through DH, he's still a prince by virtue of his mother's lineage.

Retirement isn't a reason to stop practicing or honing his swordfighting skills. He certainly didn't stop reading even if he wasn't in wars anymore.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:59 AM, Ninky said:

But Bai Zhi knows Shao Wan. They were classmates at Water Marsh. And Bai Zhi used to fight under the command of Dong Hua. But he ironically became his grandson-in-law.

Henceforth Qing Qiu becomes the top clan outside of Nine Heavens. Who the heck will even dare offend them now, unless they are crazy.

Bai Zhi for his efforts in ending the war had the Eastern Realm cut to him when they were splitting up the territories among themselves after DH ended the constant warfare and united the realms.

He became the Fox King of Qing Qiu country. Be aware the Mo Yuan, as the person who marked the start of their era conferred all the present titles that people hold right now.

Don’t forget Mo Yuan is the son of ultimate first god to appear in the immortal realms and took over from Pan Gu the creator of heaven and earth - Fu Shen (Father God) & Mu Shen (Mother God).

That is why he is the right person to confer titles. 

• Thanks 2

Food for thought and just to keep this chain going...

1) Zhihe and Jiheng don’t love Dong Hua. They love what marrying him will do for them since they will get empress perks. They never do anything for him beyond serving him food. Even Zhihe failed to please Dong Hua when she gave up on his lessons.

2) whenever Dong Hua came to Fanyin Valley and was served by Jiheng, Chonglin had always been present. When Dong Hua came to see Feng Jiu, I bet Jiheng was pleased because she thought it would be just the 2 of them now. But then, Dong Hua immediately switches residences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

Currently on EP50. Bai Feng Jiu, Bai Feng Jiu, why did you try to fool Dong Hua by pretending to not know him? :lol: That scene makes me laugh every time!

Ahahaha, she's either feeling naughty, or she's still having some niggling doubts how serious DH is with her, and waited for the broad daylight to confirm things.

Has anyone of you used in-ear earphones or noise cancelling headsets while watching?

I thought I've already heard everything  using normal headsets, but I'm now listening to owl hoots, cries of larks, whistling or howling winds, water dripping in, rustle of clothes, and the smallest sighs, hmm, and teeny weeny snorts or gasps of disbelief. :lol:

:lollipop:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 2

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Basing from the footnote:

36阿蘭若 Alanre/Aranya is a Sanskrit name which means ‘belonging to the wilderness.’ I should also mention that Fanyin Valley means Sanskrit Valley. (PB1, p244)

The Buddhist hymns are likely an integral feature of what Fanyin Valley is. 

What is Fanyin, per se?

In page 548 of the book Silk Road: The Study of Drama and Culture by Fen Gao and Qiang Li:

Chanting sutras at the monasteries and dharma assemblies was called Pathaka, and the clear sounds articulated by chanting or by Brahama were named Buddhist Sound (Fanyin). The “preface” of Saddharmapundarika Sutra read, “Buddhist Sound was delicate and pleasant to the ear.” Lines of Saddharmapundarika Sutra read, “The most fabulous were the clear sounds uttered by the Buddha, called Fanyin.” Avatamsaka Sutra read, “ Make clear and delicate Fanyin.” According to Janavasabha Sutta in Volume 5 of Dirgh-agarma, Brahama could produce clear Fanyin, “Respectively upright, elegant, clear, profound and full, and spreading a long distance. Sounds with these five characteristics were called Fanyin.”

Very interesting..

I remember that Fanyin Valley was created by some powerful God/immortal which we also didn't know whom because there's no deeper explanation about it..or is there any more information about it? Somewhere in the books?

And Fanyin Valley also as known as Fanyin Gu.

I had some thoughts that maybe that the powerful God was DH  who created Fanyin Gu ..just maybe..

In the opening /prologue of PB1 We had been introduced to two walking encyclopedia manual in all of Heaven.

1) DH as walking Buddhist manual

2) Siming as walking Baqua manual( gossip monger)

PB1 page 3

However much lower-ranked this fellow Siming was compared to
Donghua Dijun, he had the fortune to be as well-known because in all of
Heaven there were only two walking encyclopedias,
the only difference
being Donghua Dijun was a walking Buddhist manual while he( Siming) was a
walking Bagua manual2. He knew three generations’ worth of every secret
one's family could possibly have.

PS In my past experience when watched Naruto animation , whenever there's Buddhist hymns heard in the background it usually because of someone gather inner strengths (it called chakras for Ninjas) casting spells or to form inner defences to preventing being lure into something wicked or when ever there's very intense scenes occurred.

And I thought Buddhist hymns has something to do with DH fairy energy or his cultivation because it was written whenever DH was involved( although not everytime)..maybe because DH has regained Oneness (Single mindedness).

3 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Currently on EP50 . Bai Feng Jiu, Bai Feng Jiu, why you try to fool Dong Hua by pretending did to not know him?  That scene makes me laugh every time!

That scene was hilariously entertaining scenes..I almost thought FJ really had amnesia , she for a second got me..until she lovingly play with DH's hair...

How could she ever thought she can fooled DHDJ? unless if its DH himself also pretending and get along with her mischievousness...lol. 

I practically burst out laughing the moment when she asked whether DH was a little fox from Qingqiu? Are you my classmate? or did you have a blind date with me?..

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

25 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Very interesting..

I remember that Fanyin Valley was created by some powerful God/immortal which we also didn't know whom because there's no deeper explanation about it..or is there any more information about it? Somewhere in the books?

And Fanyin Valley also as known as Fanyin Gu.

I had some thoughts that maybe that the powerful God was DH  who created Fanyin Gu ..just maybe..

It can be Pangu, Fushen, Mo Yuan, Dong Hua, or Buddha. My money's either on Buddha or DH, but more on DH. Though the valley is steeped with mystery and Buddhist symbolism, DH is also supposedly very well versed with Buddhism.

Referring to Ep50, at the moon pond with LS, he mentioned that Fanyin Valley was originally created outside the mortal realm, and that he chose it to suppress the Miaoyi Chasm and neutralise the dark energy in the world. My view is that if he can choose the place for a purpose, it can mean that he owns it, has power/authority over it, or he specifically created it.

40 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

PS In my past experience when watched Naruto animation , whenever there's Buddhist hymns heard in the background it usually because of someone gather inner strengths (it called chakras for Ninjas) casting spells or to form inner defences to preventing being lure into something wicked or when ever there's very intense scenes occurred.

Perhaps because chanting Buddhist sutras prepares the mind for meditation or for rituals.

This is interesting reading:

https://buddhaweekly.com/reciting-sutras-why-its-important/

I've got accross some more reading materials. Maybe there is something there. :)

49 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

And I thought Buddhist hymns has something to do with DH fairy energy or his cultivation because it was written whenever DH was involved( although not everytime)..maybe because DH has regained Oneness (Single mindedness).

DH is one of those who achieved or surpassed the state of perfection in enlightenment. That so-called anuttarah samyak-sambuddhah.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

20 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

That scene was hilariously entertaining scenes..I almost thought FJ really had amnesia , she for a second got me..until she lovingly play with DH's hair...

How could she ever thought she can fooled DHDJ? unless if its DH himself also pretending and get along with her mischievousness...lol. 

I practically burst out laughing the moment when she asked whether DH was a little fox from Qingqiu? Are you my classmate? or did you have a blind date with me?..

Me too! "Are you my classmate?" I laughed while slapping my forehead. She couldn't have come up with something better? For instance "Are you warrior Yan?" 

Imagine DJ's reaction.

:w00t: :ph34r:

I think DH caught on as soon as she played with his hair. 

His "punishment" though is equally entertaining :lol:  Playing along...

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

4 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

His "punishment" though is equally entertaining :lol:  Playing along.

I love this scene too. Especially when she said she was his Xiao Bai. She was so cute. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Me too! "Are you my classmate?" I laughed while slapping my forehead. She couldn't have come up with something better? For instance "Are you warrior Yan?" 

Imagine DJ's reaction.

:w00t: :ph34r:

His "punishment" though is equally entertaining :lol:  Playing along...

IKR..and the back hugged scene..Awww..:wub:

Since I've seen many back hugged scene in kdrama before, so it shouldn't have make me felt delighted so much though..but it did , the sweetness...maybe because it's Dongfeng. They are so cute and adorable..

"You are Emperor DH, I'm Bai Fengjiu of Qingqiu."( DH's smile..so adorable)

"I'm your girl , Xiao Bai" ( agreed with @pawla l love this 'sappy ' lines so much )

Then DH playfully and sweetly tap FJs forehead with his forefinger..idk why? but I love it...lol

FJ "Aren't you coming?" 

DH: "We haven't got married yet?"

FJ : "I didn't mean that"

Lol.. here's DH can't help but to tease her..or playing hard to get.

but the way FJ asked him , seem like or implying she 'invited' him to take a bath together in the hot spring...

• Like 1
  • LOL 5