[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, elsanna said:

Dijun and his one liners mine fav is..

1. I have never feared destiny and I certainly don't need it's charity

Just love the way he says this..

P.S. wrote this post as thread is moving really slowly. Do share your fav one liners.

" So what if Destiny says we're fated, and so what if it says we're not?. I've never feared Destiny, and i certainly don't need it charity."

YES! These lines definitely my favourite in DH/FJ's timelines....such a powerful words from DH.

• Like 3

Bai Gungun is a decendent of Interbreeding of nine tailed white fox and red fox from his mother FJ and his father DH have a golden/red blood( is DH blood was golden red due to his cultivated so long as per-stated his age "as old as time"?)

..make me wondering if Bai Gungun got more genetic  from her mother or his father? Since his appearance with silver white haired so I guess its was more to DH's..not only that his intelligences was so impressive.

For a 197yrs(2yrs old) little boy..

a toddler.. he did taking care of his mother very well..since FJ have a habit kick away her guilt during her sleep. Bai Gungun wake up every night to tuck his mother in...such a wonderful "matured" little boy. 

It's also make wondering if Bai Gungun/Ah Li can transforms into a Fox?!!:grin:

PS: I must be out of my mind..with all of those questions..don't mind me:joy::lol:

• LOL 4

DECEMBER OF 2019? REALLY?! 

I was counting on the Pillow Book series to satisfy my hungry shipping heart until Star Wars IX comes out next December (Reylo is the waylo, anyone?) AND NOW I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER FOR THE PB SERIES TOO? I don't know if my heart can take it.

And yes, after many months of lurking, I created an account just to blurt that out. :D

Btw, good job with the updates guys. Y'all are awesome!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

On 9/8/2018 at 12:17 PM, a1b5c3d4 said:

DECEMBER OF 2019? REALLY?! 

I was counting on the Pillow Book series to satisfy my hungry shipping heart until Star Wars IX comes out next December (Reylo is the waylo, anyone?) AND NOW I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER FOR THE PB SERIES TOO? I don't know if my heart can take it.

@a1b5c3d4I LOVE REYLO!!! That ship is one of my obsessions right now :bawling:. It's to the point where it's become ridiculous! Adam Driver is bae for sure! Pls tell me you've read the ending of Pillow Book, because *SPOILER*  DH does have a "Gungun, I'm your father" line much like Darth Vader. 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:46 AM, elsanna said:

Dijun and his one liners mine fav is..

1. I have never feared destiny and I certainly don't need it's charity

Just love the way he says this..

P.S. wrote this post as thread is moving really slowly. Do share your fav one liners.

I have a lot of favorite lines from the book but the one you posted is definitely my favorite of Dijun's. He was just so sure of himself to the point where his confidence came off as arrogance especially since he was talking about challenging destiny. Destiny! For goodness sake! Who does that except immortals? I was like "YASSS Hunny!!! Fight for your girl and your life together!"

Not gonna lie, as much as I love romance,  I'm a girl for angst. It's like the saying goes, "you're going to suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it." I teared up at the part where FJ is speaking to Su Moye about giving up on loving Dijun after she escapes the Jiuqu cage & Chenye rescues her then leaves her. You're conflicted because as you read, you can feel how tired she was of loving him. 

FJ: "Have you heard of my story with Donghua Dijun?"

SM: "Liansong mentioned some of it to me. Bai Zhen always said your innate personality doesn't allow you to dwell one sorrow, right now you look as though you are trying to endure sadness on your own. 

FJ:"...Changdi replaced the stone cell with the Jiuqu Cage."

SM: "What?!"

FJ: It was nothing really. I've taken some medicine for the injuries. It doesn't hurt anymore. It's just that when I was enduring the torture inside the cage, I kept thinking why it had to be like this for me." 

FJ continues to talk about Auntie BQ being rescued every time she is captured or in danger to the point where because of that all her luck has been used up when she needs rescue herself.

FJ: "Then say, hasn't Auntie used up all my luck? Is that why every time I'm in danger I'm always by myself." :confounded:

SM: "Every time?"

FJ: "Mmm, the sort of danger that almost took my life had happened a few times in the past....Because I'm the only granddaughter of Qinnqui, I actually have always been spoiled since I was young. Later on because I liked Donghua Dijunn, I came to experience bitterness and became a lot stronger...Most people cannot withstand the Jiuqi Cage for five days, right? I actually survived it, even got out and came back alone. I'm very pleased and proud of myself. 

SM: "And then?" 

FJ: "When I came back and saw Lord Xize dressing Junuo's wound...to be honest, I didn't think Junuo's injury was serious, but Lord Xize was bandaging it so carefully, suddenly it left me feeling a little sad." ..."it made me sad because I got to see how a well-protected woman looks. I despise Junuo's pretense of being hurt by such trivial injuries, yet I was very envious of her." She raised her hands to cover her eyes. "Dijun...why is it that every time I need him, he's never there for me?...Whenever I was in danger he never appeared. I told myself it was because we aren't fated, but I didn't really feel that. I thought if I worked hard, Heaven would someday be moved. This time, though, I really think if Chen Ye hadn't saved me, I'd have died. I didn't believe we weren't fated before perhaps because I wasn't thoroughly disappointed yet."

SM: "Then, do you hate him?"

Fengjiu lowered her palms, gazed to the apricot blossoms under the moonlight, and blinked hard. 

FJ:"Probably not. I just feel wary, Dijun is great, we just aren't meant to be."

SM: "You're still very young, you'll meet someone better in the future." 

Fengjiu unconsciously nodded 

FJ: "Yes, I'll meet someone better in the future." 

SM: "What kind of man do you want?"

FJ:" Although I'm not so weak that I would die if someone didn't come save me from perils, I do hope to meet someone who would help me when I was in danger. Then after saving me, he wouldn't throw me aside. And when I was sad he'd be there to comfort me."

SM: Haven't you thought about meeting someone who wouldn't let you suffer, who wouldn't let you be in danger to begin with? Does your neck hurt when you crane it like that? Did someone tell you looking up will stop tears from falling? Don't you know that's a lie? What is it that you are trying to bear?"

"A burst of chilling air passed by. Fengjiu was still looking skyward as if the round moon in the sky was full of fascination. Sometime later, two streams of tears fell from her eyes, followed by low sobs. Then a while more, she finally bawled heartbreakingly :bawling:. A strong gust materialized out of thin air, bringing apricot petals sprinkling and swirling turbidly like a snowstorm. Within the flying petals, Su Moye once again saw the purple shadow....In the dense petal rain, the purple-robed deity was deathly pale, at his feet was a spilled medicine bowl. His fingers grasped onto an old apricot trunk while his eyes rested one Fengjiu's body. Fengjiu remained unaware, she was only crying harder and harder now. He knitted his brow and silently gazed towards her. He seemingly wanted to come closer, yet unable to take that distance-closing step."

GUYS!!! How did you not feel for her during this time? Upon re-reading. I discovered something new. Because, I was too distracted crying and feeling sad for FJ,  I wanna point out that even though she's not in the best space of mind, you can still see fleeting bits of strength in her. FJ is conflicted because she despises Junuo's pretense of being hurt after a small injury yet she's envious of the attention she's getting. Also, she wants someone to help her during dangerous times even though she knows she can handle it herself. Lastly, she just wants someone to be there for her when she's sad :weary:.  How relatable and good-hearted our Fengjiu is... This reminds me of times when I speak/listen to my girlfriends when they're down & vice versa. 

In DH's defense (even though at this point of the story it is nothing compared to the things FJ has done over the centuries she's been in love with him) he didn't know that FJ was in Aranya's body. 

A day or two after that scene...

DH as Lord Xize: "That night you said you had once loved someone...that person had made you very disappointed hadn't he?" "He had indeed made you very disappointed."

FJ: "It really doesn't matter whether I was disappointed or not. It's just that sometimes love needs the presence of fate as well. I spent a lot of time gambling on this fate, but in the end I didn't win. Only recently did I comprehend the tragedy of insisting on a fate which we didn't have, and was enlightened quite a bit."

DH as Lord Xize: "If he now appears in front of you, will you still doubt that there is fate between the two of you?"

FJ:" The word 'fate' has never existed between the two of us. I've wagered myself so long, it's about time to let go. So you see, whether he appears or not this time wouldn't really make a difference. It would be better if he doesn't come, I don't really want to see him."

*OUCH! at DH but in reality I was like "lmaooo BOIII bye! You go girl! Give him a taste of his own medicine." It's a good thing DH redeems himself by doing most of the chasing in book two or else I would've blown a gasket. FATE is a really big theme in Pillow Book. DH and FJ talk about it on separate occasions as seen above.

I have two favorite angsty scenes that I cannot wait to see in the drama adaptation. Obviously one is the excerpt above, and the other is any scene where they ask or say to each other, "Who loves you best?" followed by a reply of "You love me best." I thought that was such a romantic way of the mains telling each other I love you. 

Shoutout to Bai Gungun for having to deal with such overdramatic parents! That little cutie is too mature for his age. @jimmylyne @elsanna

• Like 8

2 hours ago, karinos said:

@a1b5c3d4I LOVE REYLO!!! That ship is one of my obsessions right now :bawling:. It's to the point where it's become ridiculous! Adam Driver is bae for sure! Pls tell me you've read the ending of Pillow Book, because *SPOILER*  DH does have a "Gungun, I'm your father" line much like Darth Vader. 

I have a lot of favorite lines from the book but the one you posted is definitely my favorite of Dijun's. He was just so sure of himself to the point where his confidence came off as arrogance especially since he was talking about challenging destiny. Destiny! For goodness sake! Who does that except immortals? I was like "YASSS Hunny!!! Fight for your girl and your life together!"

Not gonna lie, as much as I love romance,  I'm a girl for angst. It's like the saying goes, " you're going to suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it." I teared up at the part where FJ is speaking to Su Moye about giving up on loving Dijun after she escapes the Jiuqu cage & Chenye rescues her then leaves her. You're conflicted because as you read, you can feel how tired she was of loving him. 

FJ: "Have you heard of my story with Donnghua Dijun?"

SM: "Liansong mentioned some of it to me. Bai Zhen always said your innate personality doesn't allow you to dwell one sorrow, right now you look as though you are trying to endure sadness on your own. 

SM: "What?"

FJ: It was nothing really. I've taken some medicine for the injuries. It doesn't hurt anymore. It's just that when I was enduring the torture inside the cage, I kept thinking why it had to be like this for me." 

FJ continues to talk about Auntie BQ being rescued every time she is captured or in danger to the point where because of that all her luck has been used up when she needs rescue herself.

FJ: "Then say, hasn't Auntie used up all my luck? Is that why every time I'm in danger I'm always by myself." :confounded:

FJ: "Mmm, the sort of danger that almost took my life had happened a few times in the past....Because I'm the only granddaughter of Qinnqui, I actually have always been spoiled since I was young. Later on because I liked Donghua Dijunn, I came to experience bitterness and became a lot stronger...Most people cannot withstand the Jiuqi Cage for five days, right? Actually survived it, even got out and came back alone. I'm very pleased and proud of myself. 

FJ: "When I came back and saw Lord Xize dressing Junuo's wound...to be honest, I didn't think Junuo's injury was serious, but Lord Size was bandaging it so carefully, suddenly it left me feeling a little sad." ..."it made me sad because I got to see how a well-protected woman looks. I despise Junuo's pretense of being hurt by such trivial injuries, yet I was very envious of her." She raised her hands to cover her eyes. "Dijun...why is it that every time I need him, he's never there for me?...Whenever I was in danger he never appeared. I told myself it was because we aren't fated, but I didn't really feel that. I thought if I worked hard, Heaven would someday be moved. This time, though, I really think if Chen Ye hadn't saved me, I'd have died. I didn't believe we weren't fated before perhaps because I wasn't thoroughly disappointed yet."

Fengjiu lowered her palms, gazed to the apricot blossoms under the moonlight, and blinked hard. 

FJ:"Probably not. I just feel wary, Dijun is great, we just aren't meant to be."

Fenngjiu unconsciously nodded 

FJ:" Although I'm not so weak that I would die if someone didn't come save me from perils, I do hope to meet someone who would help me when I was in danger. Then after saving me, he wouldn't throw me aside. And when I was sad he'd be there to comfort me."

SM: Haven't you thought about meeting someone who wouldn't let you suffer, who wouldn't let you be in danger to begin with? Does your neck hurt when you crane it like that? Did someone tell you looking up will stop tears from falling? Don't you know that's a lie? What is it that you are trying to bear?"

"A burst of chilling air passed by. Fengjiu was still looking skyward as if the round moon in the sky was full of fascination. Sometime later, two streams of tears fell from her eyes, followed by low sobs. Then a while more, she finally bawled heartbreakingly.:bawling: A strong gust materialized out of thin air, bringing apricot petals sprinkling and swirling turbidly like a snowstorm. Within the flying petals, Su Moye once again saw the purple shadow....In the dense petal rain, the purple-robed deity was deathly pale, at his feet was a spilled medicine bowl. His fingers grasped onto an old apricot trunk while his eyes rested one Fengjiu's body. Fengjiu remained unaware, she was only crying harder and harder now. He knitted his brow and silently gazed towards her. He seemingly wanted to come closer, yet unable to take that distance-closing step."

GUYS!!! How did you not feel for her during this time? Upon re-reading. I discovered something new. Because, I was too distracted crying and feeling sad for FJ,  I wanna point out that even though she's not in the best space of mind, you can still see fleeting bits of strength in her. FJ is conflicted because she despises Junuo's pretense of being hurt after a small injury yet she's envious of the attention she's getting. Also, she wants someone to help her during dangerous times even though she knows she can handle it herself. Lastly, she just wants someone to be there for her when she's sad :weary:.  How relatable and good-hearted our Fenjiu is... This reminds me of times when I speak/listen to my girlfriends when they're down & vice versa. 

In DH's defense (even though at this point of the story it is nothing compared to the things FJ has done over the centuries she's been in love with him) he didn't know that FJ was in Aranya's body. 

DH as Lord Xize: "That night you said you had once loved someone...that person had made you very disappointed hadn't he?" "He had indeed made you very disappointed."

FJ: "It really doesn't matter whether I was disappointed or not. It's just that sometimes love needs the presence of fate as well. I spent a lot of time gambling on this fate, but in the end I didn't win. Only recently did I comprehend the tragedy of insisting on a fate which we didn't have, and was enlightened quite a bit."

DH as Lord Xize: "If he now appears in front of you, will you still doubt that there is fate between the two of you?"

FJ:" The word 'fate' has never existed between the two of us. I've wagered myself so long, it's about time to let go. So you see, whether he appears or not this time wouldn't really make a difference. It would be better if he doesn't come, I don't really want to see him."

*OUCH! at DH but in reality I was like "lmaooo BOIII bye! You go girl! Give him a taste of his own medicine." It's a good thing DH redeems himself by doing most of the chasing in book two or else I would've blown a gasket. FATE is a really big theme in Pillow Book. DH and FJ talk about on on separate occasions as seen above.

I have two favorite angsty scenes that I cannot wait to see in the drama adaptation. Obviously one is the excerpt above, and the other is any scene where they ask or say to each other, "Who loves you best?" followed by a reply of "You love me best." I thought that was such a romantic way of the mains telling each other I love you. 

Shoutout to Bai Gungun for having to deal with such overdramatic parents! That little cutie is too mature for his age. @jimmylyne @elsanna

Hello, new to this site! Hope I'm responding correctly!

This part was probably my favorite part of all time in this novel! It was so heartbreaking, and so mature of FJ.

I've read PB twice, but maybe I'm just not comprehending some parts right. Please help me clarify!

1) Technically since SM loved Aranya, doesn't it meant that he loves FJ's shadow? xD I don't remember his reaction of when he found out...

2) What level of power does FJ have exactly? I remember reading something about her trials, but did she actually go through ascension trials?? I think I read too fast and skipped over some plot points. :(

Can't wait for this drama to come out, can't believe have to wait at least half a year to a year. I keep rewatching DHFJ scenes in TMPB to pull me over!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, elsanna said:

In video are they shooting dream part. Why does he have black hair. Even when he took xize place his hair was silver. But why in every bts it's black.????:huh:

I think that is Vengo as a Crown Prince or maybe Chen Ye (rumor has it Vengo plays 4 characters 1.Dong Hua 2.Crown Prince 3.Xize 4.Chen Ye)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, karinos said:

Not gonna lie, as much as I love romance,  I'm a girl for angst. It's like the saying goes, " you're going to suffer, but you're gonna be happy about it." I teared up at the part where FJ is speaking to Su Moye about giving up on loving Dijun after she escapes the Jiuqu cage & Chenye rescues her then leaves her. You're conflicted because as you read, you can feel how tired she was of loving him. 

FJ: "Have you heard of my story with Donnghua Dijun?"

SM: "What?"

FJ: "Mmm, the sort of danger that almost took my life had happened a few times in the past....Because I'm the only granddaughter of Qinnqui, I actually have always been spoiled since I was young. Later on because I liked Donghua Dijunn, I came to experience bitterness and became a lot stronger...Most people cannot withstand the Jiuqi Cage for five days, right? Actually survived it, even got out and came back alone. I'm very pleased and proud of myself. 

FJ: "When I came back and saw Lord Xize dressing Junuo's wound...to be honest, I didn't think Junuo's injury was serious, but Lord Size was bandaging it so carefully, suddenly it left me feeling a little sad." ..."it made me sad because I got to see how a well-protected woman looks. I despise Junuo's pretense of being hurt by such trivial injuries, yet I was very envious of her." She raised her hands to cover her eyes. "Dijun...why is it that every time I need him, he's never there for me?...Whenever I was in danger he never appeared. I told myself it was because we aren't fated, but I didn't really feel that. I thought if I worked hard, Heaven would someday be moved. This time, though, I really think if Chen Ye hadn't saved me, I'd have died. I didn't believe we weren't fated before perhaps because I wasn't thoroughly disappointed yet."

Fenngjiu unconsciously nodded 

"A burst of chilling air passed by. Fengjiu was still looking skyward as if the round moon in the sky was full of fascination. Sometime later, two streams of tears fell from her eyes, followed by low sobs. Then a while more, she finally bawled heartbreakingly.:bawling: A strong gust materialized out of thin air, bringing apricot petals sprinkling and swirling turbidly like a snowstorm. Within the flying petals, Su Moye once again saw the purple shadow....In the dense petal rain, the purple-robed deity was deathly pale, at his feet was a spilled medicine bowl. His fingers grasped onto an old apricot trunk while his eyes rested one Fengjiu's body. Fengjiu remained unaware, she was only crying harder and harder now. He knitted his brow and silently gazed towards her. He seemingly wanted to come closer, yet unable to take that distance-closing step."

GUYS!!! How did you not feel for her during this time? Upon re-reading. I discovered something new. Because, I was too distracted crying and feeling sad for FJ,  I wanna point out that even though she's not in the best space of mind, you can still see fleeting bits of strength in her. FJ is conflicted because she despises Junuo's pretense of being hurt after a small injury yet she's envious of the attention she's getting. Also, she wants someone to help her during dangerous times even though she knows she can handle it herself. Lastly, she just wants someone to be there for her when she's sad :weary:.  How relatable and good-hearted our Fenjiu is... This reminds me of times when I speak/listen to my girlfriends when they're down & vice versa. 

*OUCH! at DH but in reality I was like "lmaooo BOIII bye! You go girl! Give him a taste of his own medicine." It's a good thing DH redeems himself by doing most of the chasing in book two or else I would've blown a gasket. FATE is a really big theme in Pillow Book. DH and FJ talk about on on separate occasions as seen above.

You highlighted is also my favourite in DH/FJ timelines. LOVE IT!! :heart:. Since i have so many favorite parts( most of it was DH/FJ interactions- sad ,sappy, funny, happy, lovey dovey or even where ﹰDH such a bully or when FJ smart mouthed him:lol:) ..thats means i have to write about 90% of the books content :joy:.

Gungun existence is indeed a blessing because now we know what's DH look like when he was a child, since Gungun appearance was resembles his father.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, eryhybrid said:

This part was probably my favorite part of all time in this novel! It was so heartbreaking, and so mature of FJ.

I've read PB twice, but maybe I'm just not comprehending some parts right. Please help me clarify!

1) Technically since SM loved Aranya, doesn't it meant that he loves FJ's shadow? xD I don't remember his reaction of when he found out...

2) What level of power does FJ have exactly? I remember reading something about her trials, but did she actually go through ascension trials?? I think I read too fast and skipped over some plot points. :(

@eryhybrid1) From the way I interpreted it when reading, Su Moye's love isn't anything romantic. It's more fatherly or brotherly. Like, I want to take care of this person and see FJ/Aranya thrive but I don't see her as a woman. 

2)As for level of power, in TMPB, the Fengjiu in that version had ascended to Queen at then finale episode, but I've forgotten what her status is in Pillow Book. I know that the part where she makes a scabbard/sheath for BQ's sword has to do something with ascension, but I've forgotten. The only thing I remember at that part is when DH reveals himself as her husband...because priorities:joy: Maybe someone can answer that question here? But I do think, FJ's status in Pillow Book at this point is Queen of Qing Qui. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...

9 hours ago, karinos said:

@eryhybrid1) From the way I interpreted it when reading, Su Moye's love isn't anything romantic. It's more fatherly or brotherly. Like, I want to take care of this person and see FJ/Aranya thrive but I don't see them her as a woman. 

2)As for level of power, in TMPB, the Fengjiu in that version had ascended to Queen at then finale episode, but I've forgotten what her status is in Pillow Book. I know that the part where she makes a scabbard/sheath for BQ's sword has to do something with ascension, but I've forgotten. The only thing I remember at that part is when DH reveals himself as her husband...because priorities:joy: Maybe someone can answer that question here? But I do think, FJ's status in Pillow Book at this point is Queen of Qing Qui. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...

her status was queen during Bai Qian's wedding but there was no mention of her accession to immortal status or her power level except for she only have about 30000 years of cultivation I believe

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, karinos said:

@eryhybrid1) From the way I interpreted it when reading, Su Moye's love isn't anything romantic. It's more fatherly or brotherly. Like, I want to take care of this person and see FJ/Aranya thrive but I don't see them her as a woman. 

Yeah, I think the book said the SM had great affection for Aranya but never said he was in love with her. 

As for, FJ's status, she was already the queen of QingQiu when the events in the Pillow Book happened. In spite of her being queen, FJ is still guided, admonished and punished by Bai Qian. The sword case making ceremony (Bingcang ceremony) for her Hexu sword was a formality in which she will encase her Hexu sword and store it for the coming generations to use. 

I think FJ is around 30,000++ years old when these events in the PB happened so in terms of power, she is quite inferior to BaiQian who was 140,000++ when she married Ye Hua. In the book they refer to the years as the same level as the fairy energy of the being. Although, YH had more cultivation in him because his father (his real father whom he shares with Mo Yuan) left some of his energy or cultivation with YH to sustain him when he was a lotus flower. YH also absorbed some of the beasts guarding the divine grass' power when he killed them which is why he recovered the use of his arm pretty quickly. At the same time, YH is supposedly MY's twin which makes him just as old and powerful as MY.  This makes him more powerful than Bai Qian despite the big difference in age. Also, YH and MY are from the dragon family which means they are naturally powerful. FJ is from the Fox clan and although still powerful, not as much as the Dragon and Phoenix. 

I hope you guys understood my explanation even though I could never really ascertain FJ's true power since they never really proclaimed it in the book or I've forgotten what I've read. They just say she's young to be the queen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/9/2018 at 4:25 AM, elsanna said:

Bai gun gun is a really caring and smart boy when fengjiu started feeding him false information he caught it very well...

Bai gun gun might transform into a fox but ah li was given birth when BQ was human. So I don't think he can transform

BQ was never human. ^_^ She didn’t reincarnate into mortal form. She only had her immortal powers and memories suppressed and her facial appearance slightly altered. She was still immortal, but the immortals thought she was human because her powers were suppressed and she was dumped in the mortal realm. So... if it’s all in the genes, maybe Ah Li can transform too! :D

On 9/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, eryhybrid said:

Hello, new to this site! Hope I'm responding correctly!

Can't wait for this drama to come out, can't believe have to wait at least half a year to a year. I keep rewatching DHFJ scenes in TMPB to pull me over!

1. Yes, SMY was in love with Aranya, but never expressed it because she was so young (FJ says Aranya is basically still a child like herself, so maybe around 16). After SMY finds out that DH had also entered Aranya’s Dream to find FJ, SMY drinks wine by himself and reminises on his love for Aranya. FJ also later figures out that his “playboy” facade hides his pain of losing Aranya. When FJ was drugged with an aphrodisiac, SMY doesn’t touch her even though she is in Aranya’s body, but he does recall the feeling of the real Aranya’s voice, breath, etc in a sensual way. After SMY and DH look at Aranya’s life through the Miao Hua Mirror, SMY is completely distraught, feels extemely uneasy over having loved FJ’s shadow, and does not know how to react. When DH consults the Immortal Guarding the Stone of Destiny, SMY feels shame and regret for his part in destroying Chen Ye and Aranya’s fate, and also expresses how he once thought he and Aranya were fateless, but looking at DH & FJ and how cruel fate has been to them, he now realises what true fatelessness looks like.

2. FJ never went through any ascensions. When Zhong Lin reveals everything about DH to FJ at the end of the book, he also tells FJ that DH chose NOT to sleep for 10,000 years (but rather chose to risk his life) because DH was worried that if he slept for 10,000 years, FJ might have experienced her first ascension trial and not survived, which means he would wake up but never see her again, and he didn’t want that. Because FJ is of godly descent (9 Tail White Fox Gods tribe), she would be like BQ and would need to go through 2 ascension trials: to high immortal, then to high god.

At 30,000 years old, FJ is already the Queen of Qing Qiu at the beginning of the book, but later had her Bing Cang Sword Ceremony, which is sort of like a belated Coronation to make it official. 30,000 years also means her cultivation is still very low, which is why DH has to heal and care for her time and time again. As @ElleSor said above, even though Ye Hua is only 50,000 and his cultivation is also low, there are other factors that make his “spirit essence” stronger or more powerful.

As for how “powerful” FJ is, we only get it from Dong Hua’s POV. When he watches her fighting Miao Luo for the first time (in Fanyin Valley), he remarks on her great swordsmanship, knowing that she was taught to fight by his peer, the Fox King himself. For this reason, her martial arts and weaponry knowledge is considered impressive, like how she greatly impressed DH by altering Liang Song’s dagger design for Cheng Yu (but Ji Heng took the credit). DH had full confidence FJ could beat the other competitors at the Saha Fruit Competition because her sword skills were good, but she needed him to train up her balance and confidence. Her stamina and endurance is also remarkable, and she says to SMY that everything she has been through has made her very tough, and he was amazed that she could withstand that brutal torture cage for a whole week. However, she was no match for the serpents when she tried to steal the Saha Fruit. So she is probably the best at fighting amongst her peers, but not anything like her elders who have all ascended. Zhong Lin praises FJ’s fighting and cooking skills when speaking to DH’s foster sister (what’s her name again? Lol so insignificant). When Nie Chuyin crashed the Bing Cang Ceremony, he tried to humilate FJ because she couldn’t even defend one strike from him (cue in the husband, DH!) (Edit: FJ actually blocked 10 strikes but couldn’t defeat Nie Chuyin. Thanks, @jimmylyne, for the correction!). And earlier, when she as a baby fox “saved” DH inside the Wicked Lotus Sphere, she was only able to fight against all the demonic spirits because she had traded her fox fur for Nie Chuyin’s powers.

Her greatest expertise is her cooking skills, which is known throughout the realms, as is her incomparable beauty (apparently ranked 2nd to BQ, but DH would disagree! DH tells “Aranya”, who is actually FJ, that FJ is a beautiful child who will grow up to be even more beautiful). She also has a lot of random handy knowledge, such as brewing a good pot of tea and making healing balm from flowers/herbs (she heals DH’s cracked hands this way, and DH steals her recipe and uses it back on her bruises unknowingly hehe!).

At around 16 (in human years), FJ hasn’t even finished school and was a below average student (she’s street-smart but not book-smart). Gray Wolf DiDi took notes for her while she spent 400 years in DH’s Palace as a maid and baby fox, then she was away from school again basically throughout the entire book. She’s a terrible student haha! So her magical powers and academic knowledge as an immortal are not considered good. When she tried to put a simple sleep spell on DH, she only managed to make DH’s pot plant fall asleep. She also fails Buddhism class and gets teased by Ah Li.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Zelnk said:

Thanks! I think I got mine from there as well. That site has a lot of interesting novels.

I do wish that there would be an official translated version of the PB 1 and 2. I bought My TMOPB (To the Sky Kingdom) from Amazon and I found it a bit disjointed (my opinion only!), I dunno if this is because of it being translated or because it was the writing style which would often lose me due to the flashbacks. But I did muddle through it eventually with the help of the drama. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Thanks! I think I got mine from there as well. That site has a lot of interesting novels.

I do wish that there would be an official translated version of the PB 1 and 2. I bought My TMOPB (To the Sky Kingdom) from Amazon and I found it a bit disjointed (my opinion only!), I dunno if this is because of it being translated or because it was the writing style which would often lose me due to the flashbacks. But I did muddle through it eventually with the help of the drama. 

It’s the writing style of Tang Qi. People either love it or hate it. It’s like the director Chris Nolan... flashbacks, parallel timelines, numerous characters, complex plot, etc. To The Sky Kingdom is the better translation already as it was officially commissioned. I know exactly what you mean though. After reading it, i spent weeks searching for answers and also tried to read bits of the novel in Chinese to try and resolve all my confusion. And i think The Pillow Book fan translators - all 3 of them - did a magnificent job, given the complexity and length of the book! Even if The Pillow Book was officially translated, i think it’ll still be complex and a bit confusing. When i finished reading it, i also had a lot of questions and it wasn’t a translation issue. I wrote an earlier post that was essay-long where I noted the number of inconsistencies and plot devices Tang Qi seems to have forgotten about. But nevetheless, she’s an amazing thinker and writer - i just think sometimes she gets too many ideas and forgets to revisit them, and the sporadic releases of parts of a novel means she can’t go back and amend things. She doesn’t finish a book, proof-read it, then release the whole thing. She releases chapters and segments at a time.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 10:46 PM, elsanna said:

My favourite isn’t a spoken line. Below are my all-time favourite few lines from the book. This moment is so beautiful, emotional, tangible and the language reads like poetry, especially that last sentence - gives me goosebumps: :wub:

He planted a kiss on her bare shoulder, straying down along her neckline. She could feel him close to her, bringing with him a white sandalwood breath.
Although the room was pitch black, his hands were deliberately sliding toward her. He untied her robe, slipped into her undergarment, then with the unique warmth after a bath, stroked her sensitive skin.
His fingertips were soothing and elegant. It felt as though he was writing a word, painting a picture, or playing a song.

• Like 4
  • Naughty 1

13 hours ago, redfoxprincess said:

BQ was never human. ^_^ She didn’t reincarnate into mortal form. She only had her immortal powers and memories suppressed and her facial appearance slightly altered. She was still immortal, but the immortals thought she was human because her powers were suppressed and she was dumped in the mortal realm. So... if it’s all in the genes, maybe Ah Li can transform too! :D

1. Yes, SMY was in love with Aranya, but never expressed it because she was so young (FJ says Aranya is basically still a child like herself, so maybe around 16). After SMY finds out that DH had also entered Aranya’s Dream to find FJ, SMY drinks wine by himself and reminises on his love for Aranya. FJ also later figures out that his “playboy” facade hides his pain of losing Aranya. When FJ was drugged with an aphrodisiac, SMY doesn’t touch her even though she is in Aranya’s body, but he does recall the feeling of the real Aranya’s voice, breath, etc in a sensual way. After SMY and DH look at Aranya’s life through the Miao Hua Mirror, SMY is completely distraught, feels extemely uneasy over having loved FJ’s shadow, and does not know how to react. When DH consults the Immortal Guarding the Stone of Destiny, SMY feels shame and regret for his part in destroying Chen Ye and Aranya’s fate, and also expresses how he once thought he and Aranya were fateless, but looking at DH & FJ and how cruel fate has been to them, he now realises what true fatelessness looks like.

2. FJ never went through any ascensions. When Zhong Lin reveals everything about DH to FJ at the end of the book, he also tells FJ that DH chose NOT to sleep for 10,000 years (but rather chose to risk his life) because DH was worried that if he slept for 10,000 years, FJ might have experienced her first ascension trial and not survived, which means he would wake up but never see her again, and he didn’t want that. Because FJ is of godly descent (9 Tail White Fox Gods tribe), she would be like BQ and would need to go through 2 ascension trials: to high immortal, then to high god.

At 30,000 years old, FJ is already the Queen of Qing Qiu at the beginning of the book, but later had her Bing Cang Sword Ceremony, which is sort of like a belated Coronation to make it official. 30,000 years also means her cultivation is still very low, which is why DH has to heal and care for her time and time again. As @ElleSor said above, even though Ye Hua is only 50,000 and his cultivation is also low, there are other factors that make his “spirit essence” stronger or more powerful.

As for how “powerful” FJ is, we only get it from Dong Hua’s POV. When he watches her fighting Miao Luo for the first time (in Fanyin Valley), he remarks on her great swordsmanship, knowing that she was taught to fight by his peer, the Fox King himself. For this reason, her martial arts and weaponry knowledge is considered impressive, like how she greatly impressed DH by altering Liang Song’s dagger design for Cheng Yu (but Ji Heng took the credit). DH had full confidence FJ could beat the other competitors at the Saha Fruit Competition because her sword skills were good, but she needed him to train up her balance and confidence. Her stamina and endurance is also remarkable, and she says to SMY that everything she has been through has made her very tough, and he was amazed that she could withstand that brutal torture cage for a whole week. However, she was no match for the serpents when she tried to steal the Saha Fruit. So she is probably the best at fighting amongst her peers, but not anything like her elders who have all ascended. Zhong Lin praises FJ’s fighting and cooking skills when speaking to DH’s foster sister (what’s her name again? Lol so insignificant). When Nie Chuyin crashed the Bing Cang Ceremony, he tried to humilate FJ because she couldn’t even defend one strike from him (cue in the husband, DH!). And earlier, when she as a baby fox “saved” DH inside the Wicked Lotus Sphere, she was only able to fight against all the demonic spirts because she had traded her fox fur for Nie Chuyin’s powers.

Her greatest expertise is her cooking skills, which is known throughout the realms, as is her incomparable beauty (apparently ranked 2nd to BQ, but DH would disagree! DH tells “Aranya”, who is actually FJ, that FJ is a beautiful child who will grow up to be even more beautiful). She also has a lot of random handy knowledge, such as brewing a good pot of tea and making healing balm from flowers/herbs (she heals DH’s cracked hands this way, and DH steals her recipe and uses it back on her bruises unknowingly hehe!).

At around 16 (in human years), FJ hasn’t even finished school and was a below average student (she’s street-smart but not book-smart). Gray Wolf DiDi took notes for her while she spent 400 years in DH’s Palace as a maid and baby fox, then she was away from school again basically throughout the entire book. She’s a terrible student haha! So her magical powers and academic knowledge as an immortal are not considered good. When she tried to put a simple sleep spell on DH, she only managed to make DH’s pot plant fall asleep. She also fails Buddhism class and gets teased by Ah Li.

LOVE your factful comments.

FJ actually managed to block tenth strike from Nie Chuyin before she was defeated..DH was guite impressed by her performance.

DH: I know you'd lose, Don't feel as though you've embarrassed me. How many moves did you block?

FJ: Ten

DH: That's not bad.

And just to added the list about FJ achievement .Her mother and her grandmother really worried about FJ's ability because she's still so young...then...(defeat forgone conclusion)

FJ defeat Maze Formation created by his grandfather and she did it blindfolded.

She's terrible student..but she's amazingly well in "History" subject especially about DH Dijun.:joy:

My favourite lines/interactions (DH/FJ)for today..

FJ: Luckily, when I was a servant in your palace, you didn't have a chance to recognize me. Had you know me then, you'd tell me the same thing you said to Jiheng today. Truthfully  what you said was a bit cold.

DH murmured(too bad FJ didn't hear it): If I had know you then , my son would be old enough to go out for errands by now.:heart:.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

LOVE your factful comments.

FJ actually managed to block tenth strike from Nie Chuyin before she was defeated..DH was guite impressed by her performance.

DH: I know you'd lose, Don't feel as though you've embarrassed me. How many moves did you block?

FJ: Ten

DH: That's not bad.

And just to added the list about FJ achievement .Her mother and her grandmother really worried about FJ's ability because she's still so young...then...(defeat forgone conclusion)

FJ defeat Maze Formation created by his grandfather and she did it blindfolded.

She's terrible student..but she's amazingly well in "History" subject especially about DH Dijun.:joy:

My favourite lines/interactions (DH/FJ)for today..

FJ: Luckily, when I was a servant in your palace, you didn't have a chance to recognize me. Had you know me then, you'd tell me the same thing you said to Jiheng today. Truthfully  what you said was a bit cold.

DH murmured(too bad FJ didn't hear it): If I had know you then , my son would be old enough to go out for errands by now.:heart:.

Thankyou so much for the correction! :) Oh, you have made my day! I LOOOVE that line from DH! He basically fell in love with her at first sight (sort of, in a DH way) and believes that he would have instantly fallen in love with her if he had seen such a beautiful “maid” in his Palace, and his mind went straight to having children:D:wub: I REALLY hope they include all these precious lines and moments in the drama!!!

My favourite DH/FJ interaction for today:

Fengjiu’s eyes twinkled, her sadness instantly left behind to the nine levels of clouds. She tiptoed to Donghua. She knelt before his face and quietly gazed at him for a time. When she decided he was soundly asleep, she closed her eyes and stepped closer, wanting to kiss him. She had wanted to do so for a long time but Donghua had been meditating these past several nights. She could never wait for him and always fell asleep first. Heaven took pity on her tonight and finally granted her this chance. She was overjoyed.
But she was only a fox at this point in time. Thus it was a bit problematic to kiss him on the lips. She hesitated for half a day and finally licked the corner of his lips with one quick stroke. Then she lay down promptly and pretended to fall asleep. Donghua remained still. She waited a few more seconds, nudged him a few times, and licked his cheek twice more. Seeing that he still gave no response, her courage grew and she placed her two front paws on his shoulders. She licked his brow and nose, but was too shy to touch his lips.
How beautiful his lips were, pale and cold at first glance... would they feel just as cold as they looked if she were to lick... no, her action was holier than that, if she were to kiss him. She hesitated momentarily. “This is my first kiss,” she thought. Ceremoniously, she lightly brushed his lips. In that instant, the King who was supposed to be fast asleep suddenly lifted his eyes. Fengjiu's own eyes widened. She had thought this could happen and had prepared herself for it. Only... how bitter it was that her first kiss was also the shortest this world had ever witnessed.

Starlight twinkled like countless gems. Emerald raindrops fell above the clear dome, bubbles bursting here and there making musical sounds like those from a seven-string zither. Donghua's face was covered in her saliva, yet his expression remained unchanged as he steadily gazed at her.
Fengjiu paused and demurely retreated her tongue. Then she raised her paw to wipe clean the saliva on Donghua’s face and acted as if nothing had happened. What a fox she was.

And then later...

Like cold snow on a foggy night, Donghua massaged Fengjiu's bruised limb and added in his deadpan way, “Didn't the fox elder tell you? Your clan has a very strict regulation. You can't be naughty with others, for once you cozy up to someone, it's very easy to...”

And then FJ names her imaginary baby with DH Bai Gungun. She’s so adorable! :wub: And then later...

It was quite embarrassing, truth be told. After one whole month of being fooled by Donghua, she finally realized there was going to be no happy seed just because she had kissed him once. After Donghua brought her to Jiuchongtian, she went to see Siming to ask for his advice on prenatal care. Fengjiu still remembered Siming had scoffed then and pointed to the sky to vow: “Your Highness, Donghua got you fooled. If you suddenly have a little Donghua in your stomach just from kissing him, then I’ll have a little Siming in my stomach from not even kissing anyone.”

• Like 1
  • LOL 1