[Mainland Chinese WebDrama 2018] The Love Knot: His Excellency's First Love 结爱·千岁大人的初恋

sugarplum892

@zoeraindasher... Chingu , you can as blunt as you want. This happens alot on soompi. Some cdrama are very popular but no one tends to comment on soompi. Some can be not popular and there are a lot of comments in the soompi thread. It goes both ways chingu.  In fact in the past , I would choose my drama's by the thread popularity and found it to be a waste of time. So now whenever I watch a cdrama , i just join the thread and meet new friends to talk about drama. :heart::heart:  I think being blunt is cool and it does make one very comfortable.  

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been seeing a number of comments from people saying that Helan and Pipi's chemistry seems off especially on Helan's part because he doesn't seem devoted to her considering that he's loved her over several lifetimes. I was wondering what everyone's take on this is? I thought the whole point they're trying to make is that Guan Pi Pi is different from Hui Yan and other versions and that she's her own person. Thus he's not "obligated" to be in love with Pi Pi just because she's a reincarnation of Hui Yan but he's falling in love with Guan Pi Pi naturally after taking the time to know her and respecting her individual personhood and not just because she looks like Hui Yan.

I also like that we're getting more depth to GPP's character. She comes from humble beginnings and feels lesser in comparison to her peers. Then you add that situation with her mom and debt. Instead of wallowing or taking the easy way out by asking Helan to help her, she took the initiative to square the situation on her own. Kind of makes sense that she also feels insecure about being a "shadow" of her past incarnations and wondering if Helan loves her solely because of that. But it seems like Helan is in love with GPP because of who she is and not who she was.

5 hours ago, Carmarie said:

Pipi had what it took to sustain the relationship with TJ;  belief in him, a kind heart, and compassion. 

Perhaps AXI, longevity, wisdom, and initial blindness, helped him to see the PiPi's inter-beauty, which is more important than wealth and education.  

I totally agree @Carmarie and Axi also believes in PiPi unlike her so call friends. Sure they were by her side but I don't think they were ever supportive or said the right things to built her confidence.

Spoiler if you aren't up tp episode 17

Spoiler

Helan boost her confidence and she was able to go back to school. He even wanted to spend time with her while she went to class and support her. She had a habit of putting herself down because she lacks the confidence. 

My opinion is quite different @jayells. I do think PiPi and Axi have great chemistry and sure at the begining PiPi wasn't feeling him that is because she was in love with someone else. In this time, both had to fall in love with each other all over again. They fell in love the natural way instead of it being * Boom*. * Boom* .  Sure falling in love at first site is beautiful but  there is still a question of Is it me PiPi or Hui Yan is in love. I recall the scene where PiPi is say's I am PiPi , when the fox lady tells her the story of her many reincarnated lives. I was kinda upset with PiPi for not seeing what is really in the drawing which is her face? But then I though about it , Are PiPi and HY different or are they they same? I think they the same personality for the exception of the people around her and her experience in all the lifetimes that would make her different. What do you think @jayells? I think having them fall in love the natural way make it so much more memorable because she is a different person except for the personality. Meaning being a warm and kind soul.  

@UnniSarah

Agreed, I liked that they showed Helan taking the time to be understanding and considerate of Pi Pi and the situation she was going through with her boyfriend. Likewise, I like that Helan is supportive of her especially since it seems Pi Pi always puts everyone else's interests before her own. I agree with the points you made which is why I don't understand people saying Helan doesn't seem like he is longful or devoted to Pi Pi. Like I understand people liking the whole eternal undying love through lifetimes angle but I also like that he's acknowledging and respecting that she's her own person too.

@Cindy Ngo

I too like all the scenes with everyone's favorite polyamorous Cafe trio. They deserve their own spinoff drama.

5 hours ago, whome said:

In episode 21, Helan & Pipi do the deed. However, how come nothing happens to Pipi? In an earlier episode when she kissed Helan, she became very sick. This time, nothing happened to her. Did they explain why?

Because he was ill and his energy was too weak to harm her. 

11 hours ago, visiopeia said:

finally watched finished ep 21 - 24 raw!! don't really understand it.. so i hope someone really able to summarized it for me ... looks like the ending is not what i want ... and ep 24 did tells us about 20 years ago.... 

I watched ep 21-24 raw as well and I agree it's difficult to understand a lot without the subs. Ep. 24 was all flashback.  Luckily, it looks like everything will wrap up in ep. 25, so I'm hoping that we'll have a happy ending. 

9 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

I want Show Helan to be a leader, a gentle and fierce lover, and a protector of the Fox Clan all at once. He can be all these things and more.  There's no harm in adding more layers to Show Helan's character.

I agree that it would be nice to see more depth in Helan's character (Pipi's character too). The lack of depth for the main lead characters is one of the weaknesses in the drama, in my opinion. At least show him "on the job" doing his fox priest duties and working his day job/cover as an antiquities expert.  We have had a few scenes of Pipi working as a reporter, so Helan deserves equal time. so far, all he's done is walk around his house and visit the cafe, I think. 

Like many others here, I am surprised by the relative lack of postings here in the forum considering all the buzz about this drama. I thought this forum would be way more popular. I don't know why more people aren't posting. Another thing that surprised me is the lack of fanfiction for this drama since it seems tailor made for it. I checked A03 & fanfiction.net, but I didn't see anything-maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. 

2 hours ago, jayells said:

I've been seeing a number of comments from people saying that Helan and Pipi's chemistry seems off especially on Helan's part because he doesn't seem devoted to her considering that he's loved her over several lifetimes. I was wondering what everyone's take on this is? I thought the whole point they're trying to make is that Guan Pi Pi is different from Hui Yan and other versions and that she's her own person. Thus he's not "obligated" to be in love with Pi Pi just because she's a reincarnation of Hui Yan but he's falling in love with Guan Pi Pi naturally after taking the time to know her and respecting her individual personhood and not just because she looks like Hui Yan.

I also like that we're getting more depth to GPP's character. She comes from humble beginnings and feels lesser in comparison to her peers. Then you add that situation with her mom and debt. Instead of wallowing or taking the easy way out by asking Helan to help her, she took the initiative to square the situation on her own. Kind of makes sense that she also feels insecure about being a "shadow" of her past incarnations and wondering if Helan loves her solely because of that. But it seems like Helan is in love with GPP because of who she is and not who she was.

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

I do think PiPi and Axi have great chemistry and sure at the begining PiPi wasn't feeling him that is because she was in love with someone else. In this time, both had to fall in love with each other all over again. They fell in love the natural way instead of it being * Boom*. * Boom* .  Sure falling in love at first site is beautiful but  there is still a question of Is it me PiPi or Hui Yan is in love. I recall the scene where PiPi is say's I am PiPi , when the fox lady tells her the story of her many reincarnated lives. I was kinda upset with PiPi for not seeing what is really in the drawing which is her face? But then I though about it , Are PiPi and HY different or are they they same? I think they the same personality for the exception of the people around her and her experience in all the lifetimes that would make her different. What do you think @jayells? I think having them fall in love the natural way make it so much more memorable because she is a different person except for the personality. Meaning being a warm and kind soul.  

Excellent points from both of you , @jayells and @UnniSarah

I agree that one of the main themes of the drama is exploring the concept of "fated love" and reincarnation. As in, can a person really be the exact same? What about a person's environment? How does environment affect personality- the old "nature vs. nurture" question. And what about the effect of experience over time? People's personalities can change as they age as well.  I think both Pipi and Helan are different from that "first lifetime". Helan himself is changed through his experiences of 900 years of living.  Pipi has been shaped by both the time in which she grew up and others around her, such as her family and friends.  While she undoubtably looks like and shares some personality traits with original Hui Yan, she also has differences and is her own person.  I think it's been a positive to see a drama where these questions are brought up and  for the drama to come down more on the side of individuality.

1 hour ago, Cindy Ngo said:

Seems like everyone here is talking about the main pairing and/or the drama with all the fans BTS, but I'm just thrilled with all the Xiao Ju, Xu Xian and Kuanyong scenes we got in episode 18 lol 

You are not alone! I totally love this Trio and could watch a drama just about them, I think. I often enjoy their scenes more than the main lead couple. Good to know that they have more screentime coming up.

@Table122000

You've made some great points here as well. The fact that the drama is attempting to explore those themes you mentioned is what puts it (along with some other factors) above your average romcom drama for me. Even though Pi Pi and her previous incarnation both came from poor backgrounds, her circumstances were different in each lifetime. In one timeline, she was sold into marriage but thankfully it was to A Xi who was empathetic and compassionate to her situation. Also, they were pretty much confined to spending time with one another. Then you have PI Pi's lifetime where she meets Jia Lin and Tian Xin who also show her empathy and compassion. But she starts feeling insecure and unconfident because of her background and her perceived inability to close those gaps between them. Those slight changes in her environment (and who is around her) are the reasons for the changes in her personality and demeanor. But at the same time because of her humble beginnings and the kindness others have shown her, she remains kind and considerate to others through each lifetime.

8 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

hi-onion-head-emoticon.gif   @zoeraindasher  

cheer2-onion-head-emoticon.gifcheer2-onion-head-emoticon.gif  Yes Yes Please  and thank you 

@UnniSarahI just messaged you on this. Let me know if you can't see my message. I haven't watched eps 20-24/25? yet.. so if there are any new songs used in these episodes, I haven't included them.

Re: our M&V thread not getting as much attention as other hit drama threads. 

Yeah, no, I can't choose a thread to participate in based on its popularity.. That's just too much for me especially if I have no interest at all in the topic. 

It's just I wished we could share this drama and our thoughts with everyone on Soompi, you know? Because it's a cool story. 

Well, people are talking about it. I'm just talking about it on whatever social media platform I have access to lol. 

3 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I agree that it would be nice to see more depth in Helan's character (Pipi's character too). The lack of depth for the main lead characters is one of the weaknesses in the drama, in my opinion. At least show him "on the job" doing his fox priest duties and working his day job/cover as an antiquities expert.  We have had a few scenes of Pipi working as a reporter, so Helan deserves equal time. so far, all he's done is walk around his house and visit the cafe, I think. 

@Table122000

Did you read the books too? It sounds like you've read them. 

Hi guys i am still on ep 4 of moonshine.. But right now im dying to read the novel of this freaking awesome cdrama.. To help me understand each ep i want to read it.. Know somewhere we can read it.. Thanks.. Pretty please.. 

12 hours ago, Cindy Ngo said:

Seems like everyone here is talking about the main pairing and/or the drama with all the fans BTS, but I'm just thrilled with all the Xiao Ju, Xu Xian and Kuanyong scenes we got in episode 18 lol 

12 hours ago, jayells said:

@Cindy Ngo

I too like all the scenes with everyone's favorite polyamorous Cafe trio. They deserve their own spinoff drama.

Yeah, , I like the trio, too. i just watched Ep. 22, and They were so funny that I couldn’t help LOL ...

Spoiler

at the wedding planner’s office, and the hilarious expressions on that woman wedding planner’s face, and also the make believe scenes from the olden days when they imagined how the 3 of them could have met.

I can just imagine how much fun they would have had while filming those segments. 

They are the bright spots in the drama which is taking a sinister turn as the dead bodies count is increasing.

Sidetrack abit. The actress as Xiao Ju is called Liu Yong Xi 刘泳希 (born 1993), she debut in 2015 with around 10 movies and dramas (listed in baidu, some might be just cameo) but she didn't become famous. But she is known for her professional skill in GuZheng or Chinese Zither....and she also did abit of cosplay.

Spoiler

Pardon the thick eyebrows....haha...here a combined clip of her playing the zither and some cosplay parts.

Think her previous most noticeable role would be the 2017 movie Our Shining Days or 闪光少女 (direct translation would be Shining Girls). Think the story focus on the dispute btw the western and the eastern music groups in a school. This famous clip shows the 2 duet one day....starting with her (in short hair) playing her zither....then the western counterpart (harp) came in....the 2 sides tried to overcome the other....or mislead....in the end the chinese instrument Suo Na won....b'cos just happened in the movie, there's no western counterpart and the guy managed to mislead the western group that he would play a different tune...and they were caught off-guard.

Another of her cosplay clip.

For bilibili clips, u can close the on-screen comments with the 4th bottom right icon.

Both cosplay chars are her, with video editing. 

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av12203771/

Came across a cut clip in bilibili, from ep 22....she and the 2 guys have a long scene where they kept imagine (with wearing costumes) if they ever met in a past lifetime, how would it be? she imagined herself as a swordswoman, helping others. The other 2 would be caught in some misunderstanding with her. Sorry, no sub. But it's funny. Hope by the time they sub it, the humor would be kept 100%. *For bilibili clips, u can close the on-screen comments with the 4th bottom right icon.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av24473536

I just finished watching episode 17-18 with subs...

I need to vent so badly, Not wanting to spoil it for anyone putting it in  the box

Spoiler

What is wrong with PiPi's mother???? Why the hell would she borrow american money from her daughter's ex boyfriend? That to me is just sad. Why the hell would TJ let her borrow the money???? She borrowed the money for a scam I tell you. I believe she is being scammed. I thought PiPi' s mom the SHARK??? This guy broke her daughter's heart or doesn't she know that he hurt her daughter???? I am kinda confused here.  

Xiao Yu's dad is dying. So glad she found some good friends in Zhao Kuanyong  and Xiu Xian. Kuayong did a great job in showing she is just like her father and PiPi's voiceover showed us viewers that  Xiao Yu is like her mom. She loves two man even though she refuses to admit it to herself. As I watch this drama , I am starting to think that This trio should remain BFF and will always be happy. Someone said in the novel ZK and XX were Gay and in the drama they aren't. 

Axi's origin is a very sad tale and I truly feel sorry for his mom. She loved Axi's father so much and tired to please her MIL (the beeech) she ended up losing him. I wish this story wasn' just based on  PiPi and Axi. Wished we could have found out what happened to Axi's father and wonder if he was happy after losing his wife or did Axi's grandmother pay for her sins because of her greed and discrimination. :bawling::bawling:

I have to give a round of applause to Axi's aunt. She really hates Axi and is willing to go all the way to get rid of him. I wonder will she have to pay a price for all the sins she is commiting because in her mind Axi should have never been born or that he just doesn't belong. One thing that bother's me is why?? hasn't she told Zhao Song Axi's background? WHy didn't she tell him Axi's secret?? Princess Zhaoyan has her hand full in conspiracies to hurt and destroy Axi. She is using Zhao Song to kill Axi, She is using the actress to kill PiPi and I still don't know what she wants from Quian Hua besides marrying ZS. She interrupted their wedding and whatever she told ZS pushed him to rape her. Right Now QH hates ZS and there will never any love between them. Princess Zhauayan chose to side with a man who is losing his mind. He is losing it because of his greed, obsession and lack of morals. 

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

What is wrong with PiPi's mother???? Why the hell would she borrow american money from her daughter's ex boyfriend? That to me is just sad. Why the hell would TJ let her borrow the money???? She borrowed the money for a scam I tell you. I believe she is being scammed. I thought PiPi' s mom the SHARK??? This guy broke her daughter's heart or doesn't she know that he hurt her daughter???? I am kinda confused here.  

It would be easy to understand her mother if you read the novel. In the novel, she is quite a bad mom, who has a lot of troubles (adultery, quarrel with mom in law...). In the drama, her character is not so bad as in the novel. However, on TJ's side, it's understandable why he gave the money to her. In ep 21, he explained that it was not a lending, he gave him as a present because of his close relationship with the family in the past, partly because he broke Pipi's heart. 

Hi guys i am still on ep 4 of moonshine.. But right now im dying to read the novel of this freaking awesome cdrama.. To help me understand each ep i want to read it.. Know somewhere we can read it.. Thanks.. Pretty please.. 

The same to me, The drama brings me to the novel. The plot has been changed a lot from the novel to the drama, but I love both. If only they could produce S2, it would be very interesting. I love the main couple very much.

21 hours ago, zoeraindasher said:

@Table122000

Did you read the books too? It sounds like you've read them. 

Hi @zoeraindasher No, I haven't read the books. I'm just going with what they have told us about the drama & what I see on screen. I believe the day job/ cover story info was mentioned in Ep. 1 or 2, plus the publicity materials talked about how Helan was a mysterious antiquities expert/dealer with a secret. I kept waiting to see Helan at work-so far, nothing. As he is, the character comes off a bit bland since we aren't seeing him really do much. Maybe things will change for these later episodes. ( I've watched up to ep. 16 so far, and hope to watch ep. 17-20 over the next few days) You made some good points about the character in your posts.  

As for the novels, I'd love to read them, but unfortunately I can't read Chinese. 

do you guys think is there another way to save PiPi? besides what the princess said which is to get Axi dead and she is now plotting to get rid of Pipi too 

so I honestly don't believe it I am still behind in ep 19 if anybody know of where to find recaps?

Archived