[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

@dzareth @greenwatch08 Alright chingu’s 

Do you know why it is abrupt and out of place ???? Let me tell you why . 

1.  The drama only has 60 episode. 

2.  They DRAMATIZE MSS AND NQ’s romance for tooooooo long. 

3. Season 1 is about the defeat of Xia Hou.  So they have to rush everything . Everything that happened in the novel had to done to finish this season. 

in the book NQ was already planning on marrying SS , with no concubines but for dramatic effect . They will try to dramatize that too. Smh smh smh so they will try to make it sound he wants more woman. :angry::angry: The proposal had to be done . They don’t have any time left to make them love each other more. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rhaps said:

Yeah ..*sigh*. I'm also annoyed with the BTS. That part really doesnt help, after the obvious chemistry of NQ-MSS. 

I think epi 49 onward is a lot better and their chemistry is back again. But, I'm still sour when I think about epi 45-48 and the romance :P ..and so do some people on the internet *LOL* . Of course, there are issues in acting too, but if the drama wants it to be perfect, then they should hire professionals instead :P . SYR is a 25 yrs old acting like a 15 yrs old, so it's not easy for her . This is CFY's 2nd drama (3rd, if you include the part when he was a kid) and he had improved a lot here. They have done great when the script is right. 

I'm glad the chemistry is back on track but the last 20 or so episodes have tainted the wonderful beginning relationship and chemistry. There was so much potential there and I can't get over my disappointment at how they wasted it.

7 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I really miss seeing NQ/SS so hopefully the reunion & those episodes arent too off putting, since I havent fully seen it. 

Yes. When the writing is good, the scenes are well done. The fight scenes are executed well in EN.

Agreed. I don't want to only be critical towards the director because many aspects of the drama are very successful and the script has some very good parts too.

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

The drama made SS and NQ soft , in fact way to soft since they are a killing team. Two people who plan murders or KILL TO SURVIVE. SS is a strong person in the novel but in the drama she act like a child. She doesn’t even act her age sometimes. Sometimes she acts her age. Smh smh smh But I stilllll love Sang Sang because SYR made me love her character. NQ needs someone who can refuse him and can read him welll. 

I feel the same about Sang Sang.  Don't get me wrong because I love Sang Sang and I think SYR is doing a great job but they have made SYR too childish in some places.  It's like the drama has erased how deep and dark their background was.  Sang Sang is not some innocent little girl she has experienced some very dark and disturbing things in her life.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

3. Season 1 is about the defeat of Xia Hou.  So they have to rush everything . Everything that happened in the novel had to done to finish this season. 

in the book NQ was already planning on marrying SS , with no concubines but for dramatic effect . They will try to dramatize that too. Smh smh smh so they will try to make it sound he wants more woman. :angry::angry: The proposal had to be done . They don’t have any time left to make them love each other more. 

I realize theres only 10 episodes left on tencent to be released. I think its more appropriate to have him propose atleast in the last 2 ep or so?

A confession from NQ/SS that they do infact like eachother is more befitting before a proposal.

• Like 3

The meaning of MSS appearance in the story is to transition Sang Sang and Ning Que's relationship from family to romantic.

But the drama disappoint me, with how they made NQ-MSS look like a real crush, and  SS going all sad and alone. 

One of the my issues is that drama didn't give us much on Ning Que's tought process during his time with MSS.

I'm trying not to compare with the book too much because its a different medium, but in the book NQ's tought is more clear, he compares his walks with MSS and his walks with NQ, he felt a sense of something missing, and the incomplete he felt when he talks with MSS. He's very used with how SS responds to him etc. 

This is something we needed to be shown on the screen to better understand his decision, especially after NQ-MSS has been heavily shoved down to us. 

Sadly the drama didn't do this,,, instead they made NQ gave her eye glasses :sweatingbullets: 

There's a comment I read in mydramalist, about why NQ-MSS is done this way which I happen to agree...

Spoiler

IIRC, NQ will meet MSS 3 more times after this.

2nd time, in Lanke Temple when SS is revealed to be Hades's daughter. [Here, she sees how devoted NQ to SS]

3rd time, she came to help NQ when Chang'an is facing an invasion. [SS is tought to be gone]

4th time, NQ and Goddess SS came to her country, and heard that She's going to marry the king.

Spoiler

The reason why they went there was because Goddess SS wants to test and prove to NQ that he lied, his caring for SS is a lie. And just so happen, MSS's teacher in order to protect her from "supposed" wrath of Goddess SS,  arrange for her to be married to the king. 

But she doesn't want it, and NQ also feels bad for her to be caught in his and SS's matter. That's why he went to the palace and force them to change their mind.

Here, SS even makes a comment, why don't NQ be king [means so he can have many wives, including MSS], which breaks my heart for him. Sigh.... he's really tested. 

Goddess SS at this time maintains that she's heartless, NQ's affection is a lie, and she wants to prove it.

This part of the story for me is not even about MSS, its about how NQ struggles and fight for SS to regain her humanity and accept him again. MSS just so happen to be one of the people that got caught in the process. 

This arc ended with MSS ascend to be the queen and NQ-SS left that kingdom to continue their journey.

Anyway.. to continue with my point, I think the script writer plans to make many more dramatic moments between NQ-MSS especially on the 3rd time, and 4-th time they met. To show how tested NQ's character when facing Goddess Sang Sang....

Sigh.......like everyone else I'm hoping I'm wrong, because I really dislike the embellishment they are making right now... I can't even imagine what they are going to do in season 2 and 3. :sweatingbullets:

Right now... I would rather put everything behind me...  NQ and SS is back on track now.. and I want to bask on NQ-SS bond again :P

You know.. I think the NQ has changed.. how he look at sang sang is different now..... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

Yeah, I guess they've tried. That's why I dont really want to remember MSS's arc anymore. I hate to say it, but the chemistry between NQ-MSS is indeed really good. But other than that, everything is done well. For the MSS arc, I love the adventures in the wilderness and Demon Cave :P . Love love love the fighting scenes there and the bantering of NQ and LQ / YHY / TXT

I'm hoping that Ye HongYu will appear tonight :wub: I'm looking forward to her banter with NQ.. :lol: 

Anyway... can I say this again??? Chen Pipi is so adorable!!!! Look at those dimples! 

4e42b985bf9dcd5c24c8d5e8cb9dc2a5.gif

Spoiler

They changed Tang Xio tang's meeting with CPP and gave NQ's line to CPP but Its fine.. because I guess there's not much time left, and the show wants to give deeper feeling to the audience about CPP and Tang Xiao tang.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

I'm hoping that Ye HongYu will appear tonight :wub: I'm looking forward to her banter with NQ.. :lol: 

Anyway... can I say this again??? Chen Pipi is so adorable!!!! Look at those dimples! 

Hide contents

They changed Tang Xio tang's meeting with CPP and gave NQ's line to CPP but Its fine.. because I guess there's not much time left, and the show wants to give deeper feeling to the audience about CPP and Tang Xiao tang.

I love Chen pipi, he is so cute when he smiles and the way he runs with his small steps it’s funny but cute at the same time, can’t wait to see him fight unfortunately I’m not sure if it’s going to be this season. 

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote pictures
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4

@dzareth lol........  after last week's fiasco.. I'll take all I can find from NQ-SS's dynamic... :D 

Anyway.... there are subtle cues on how the relationship is changing in 49-52..... For me its most notably when

Spoiler

In ep 51 NQ and SS switch places to mend his clothes... LOL.. I really like it..

NQ mends and SS studies LOL 

it show how NQ and SS is more balanced than what we were previously shown on screen. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dzareth said:

I just... I don't know... It fel so strange during the most recent episodes with SS smiling too much and that

Reveal hidden contents

"proposal" just felt out of place. It feels as if SS broke NQ-MSS when that is not how things are supposed to be. In the novel, NQ affirmed his commitment to SS just by saying she needed not to return to her parent's place. That felt more meaningful. The somewhat proposal may be cute but the placement is awkward. 

I think the person who is closest to the novel among the major characters would be YHY and XH. CPP and MSS are okay too. However, NQ and SS had a lot of tampering. The tampering made sense in pre MSS eps, but afterwards were somewhat jarred... 

The proposal is swoon worthy but too fast and incongruous with the recent episodes. LOL @ "smiling too much" :lol:

If I had to summarise I feel like the drama doesn't quite "get" NingSang romance so the writing sometimes feels superficial.  NQ-SS bond requires a lot more development and depth and the writer either doesn't know how or won't put the same effort into their story. The drama seemed to be more enthusiastic about the NQ-MSS romance because not only did they have more episodes to develop but it is easy to write handsome, talented calligrapher falls in love with beautiful, talented calligraphy addict on adventure together against a romantic backdrop. It was a straightforward romance you can see in any drama but the screenwriter seemed to forget the point of the MSS relationship wasn't just for NQ to have some pretty romance but to feel how vital and irreplaceable SS is to him.  

6 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Right! About 18 episodes on the NQ-MSS relationship but they are going to  develop the NQ-SS loveline including a marriage proposal in 9 episode and there is so much other stuff to cover that they are just having to cram it in.  This is exactly what I feared would happen :angry:

6 hours ago, lynne22 said:

There's a comment I read in mydramalist, about why NQ-MSS is done this way which I happen to agree...

Reveal hidden contents

IIRC, NQ will meet MSS 3 more times after this.

2nd time, in Lanke Temple when SS is revealed to be Hades's daughter. [Here, she sees how devoted NQ to SS]

3rd time, she came to help NQ when Chang'an is facing an invasion. [SS is tought to be gone]

4th time, NQ and Goddess SS came to her country, and heard that She's going to marry the king.

Reveal hidden contents

The reason why they went there was because Goddess SS wants to test and prove to NQ that he lied, his caring for SS is a lie. And just so happen, MSS's teacher in order to protect her from "supposed" wrath of Goddess SS,  arrange for her to be married to the king. 

But she doesn't want it, and NQ also feels bad for her to be caught in his and SS's matter. That's why he went to the palace and force them to change their mind.

Here, SS even makes a comment, why don't NQ be king [means so he can have many wives, including MSS], which breaks my heart for him. Sigh.... he's really tested. 

Goddess SS at this time maintains that she's heartless, NQ's affection is a lie, and she wants to prove it.

This part of the story for me is not even about MSS, its about how NQ struggles and fight for SS to regain her humanity and accept him again. MSS just so happen to be one of the people that got caught in the process. 

This arc ended with MSS ascend to be the queen and NQ-SS left that kingdom to continue their journey.

Anyway.. to continue with my point, I think the script writer plans to make many more dramatic moments between NQ-MSS especially on the 3rd time, and 4-th time they met. To show how tested NQ's character when facing Goddess Sang Sang....

Sigh.......like everyone else I'm hoping I'm wrong, because I really dislike the embellishment they are making right now... I can't even imagine what they are going to do in season 2 and 3. :sweatingbullets:

I think you are correct. That is what they are going to do and I am NOT here for it :grimace:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I agree with most of us here. Since the wilderness scenes, I truly cant describe my disappointment by word how the aunts directing the drama. I feel like I am watching a different drama but with almost the same story. The aunts really ruined the master piece of Mao Ni.

Yesterday, when I saw NQ raise his hand to SS and he seems like wanna hit her, I was like &@&#_$-$+!!! Since the drama was directed by aunt and the scriptwriter also a female, so, I assumed that was how asian common aunts's perceives or reacts in certain situations. But, of course, not all of them are the same. I believe if the screenwriter and director are males, this kinda scenes wont be existed in the drama. And the male director would have better balance between fighting (real wuxia) and romance scenes and we would not feel this kinda frustration by spending unnecessary time watching those added scenes of NQ-MSS. 

My personal view is, what I dislike the most in the drama is when NQ raise his hand to SS and hit her in her parent's house. I really curious how Mao Ni (the writer) felt about this after watching these scenes. The aunts really had ruined NQ's original characters in the novel. I feel sad and pity for those viewers who are not familiar or never read the book:tears:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rhaps said:

Ah yes, I thought that I was the only one who noticed the sad look in his eyes. At that time, I was like ,"What ..? What are you trying to do, drama? How come they become strangers again?" 

In my case ,

Hide contents

it doesnt always have to be like the book , but they should follow the essence of it. Regarding the main couple, the drama should make the main couple more believable and touching, instead of the alternative one. I think that's my only complain for EN, besides the great things in it.

I mean there is another season and maybe a season 3 not every romance needs to be rushed and clear cut. 

All im saying is i hope the book readers dont follow season two and complain about everything little thing, if you cant accept changes dont watch season two and complain.

This thread basically just turned into all book readers posting spoilers rather than actually discussing the drama. 

I have no issues with MSS being added more to the show to make SS jealous or for NQ to realise how special SS is to him , a clear cut romance is simply boring. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

i love Chen PiPi :heart:  Every time he appears onscreen he makes me smile :)  I can't wait to see YHY back on the scene. I also love that red and white outfit NQ is wearing in those scenes.

18 hours ago, lynne22 said:

@dzareth lol........  after last week's fiasco.. I'll take all I can find from NQ-SS's dynamic... :D 

Anyway.... there are subtle cues on how the relationship is changing in 49-52..... For me its most notably when

Reveal hidden contents

In ep 51 NQ and SS switch places to mend his clothes... LOL.. I really like it..

NQ mends and SS studies LOL 

it show how NQ and SS is more balanced than what we were previously shown on screen. 

That is cute. These are the kind of changes we want to see! ^_^ 

@rhapsit is so nice being back at the warm atmosphere of the Academy.  I love the interactions between all the Brothers and Sisters and NQ and SS.

@Snow Guardian Sometimes it feels like someone else wrote the earlier episodes!

I also don't understand how women can write and direct this story and have NQ raise his hand to SS in anger like this repeatedly :tears: It serves no purpose and it's not like they can blame the source material because NQ did not hit SS in the novel.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I mean there is another season and maybe a season 3 not every romance needs to be rushed and clear cut. 

All im saying is i hope the book readers dont follow season two and complain about everything little thing, if you cant accept changes dont watch season two and complain.

This thread basically just turned into all book readers posting spoilers rather than actually discussing the drama. 

I have no issues with MSS being added more to the show to make SS jealous or for NQ to realise how special SS is to him , a clear cut romance is simply boring. 

@Wotad I have read parts of the novel and therefore understand why it's hard for the book readers to fully enjoy the drama. By reading the book you get attached to the characters in a deeper level than someone who just watches the drama. Maybe cause the novel explains everything about each character in detail while the drama cannot do the same. 

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on both drama and novel. Makes it better for discussions in my opinion. 

Personally I didn't like the addition of MSS scenes because they were unnecessary. Her role was just to make NingSang realize what they truly mean to each other that's it. Instead they made it seem as if Ning Que was in love with her and not SS. I agree a clear cut romance is boring. Which is precisely why I dislike NingShan they are simply boring. Acting all lovey dovey and perfect when they really don't know each other very well. It's simply a crush. 

What upsets me more than anything is the fact that they have both NQ and SS act out of character. They are changing the essence of the characters. Making SS appear childish and weak is not right. Ever Night is NingSang's story and screenwriter sometimes seems to forget that. If I was the author of the novel i would be upset with some of the changes. Ofcourse not everything is bad they did get some things right. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, n3bula said:

@Wotad I have read parts of the novel and therefore understand why it's hard for the book readers to fully enjoy the drama. By reading the book you get attached to the characters in a deeper level than someone who just watches the drama. Maybe cause the novel explains everything about each character in detail while the drama cannot do the same. 

I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on both drama and novel. Makes it better for discussions in my opinion. 

Personally I didn't like the addition of MSS scenes because they were unnecessary. Her role was just to make NingSang realize what they truly mean to each other that's it. Instead they made it seem as if Ning Que was in love with her and not SS. I agree a clear cut romance is boring. Which is precisely why I dislike NingShan they are simply boring. Acting all lovey dovey and perfect when they really don't know each other very well. It's simply a crush. 

What upsets me more than anything is the fact that they have both NQ and SS act out of character. They are changing the essence of the characters. Making SS appear childish and weak is not right. Ever Night is NingSang's story and screenwriter sometimes seems to forget that. If I was the author of the novel i would be upset with some of the changes. Ofcourse not everything is bad they did get some things right. 

I really like that this thread includes both perspective from the webnovel & drama. I can understand NQ thought process/actions more clearly in regards to SS & vice versa, due to the webnovel snippets here since Im not familiar w/the book.

The drama has an odd way of handling certain aspects of NQ & SS. The book reads well, so it should read well onscreen in terms of NQ&SS development/character growth as individual & as a pair. I like consistency in writing & respect good storytelling.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Snow Guardian said:

I agree with most of us here. Since the wilderness scenes, I truly cant describe my disappointment by word how the aunts directing the drama. I feel like I am watching a different drama but with almost the same story. The aunts really ruined the master piece of Mao Ni.

Yesterday, when I saw NQ raise his hand to SS and he seems like wanna hit her, I was like &@&#_$-$+!!! Since the drama was directed by aunt and the scriptwriter also a female, so, I assumed that was how asian common aunts's perceives or reacts in certain situations. But, of course, not all of them are the same. I believe if the screenwriter and director are males, this kinda scenes wont be existed in the drama. And the male director would have better balance between fighting (real wuxia) and romance scenes and we would not feel this kinda frustration by spending unnecessary time watching those added scenes of NQ-MSS. 

My personal view is, what I dislike the most in the drama is when NQ raise his hand to SS and hit her in her parent's house. I really curious how Mao Ni (the writer) felt about this after watching these scenes. The aunts really had ruined NQ's original characters in the novel. I feel sad and pity for those viewers who are not familiar or never read the book:tears:

@Snow Guardian I think the screenwriter is ruining our beloved characters. Mao Ni created a wonderful story where we fell in love with these characters and their story. I don't know what the screenwriter is thinking. Making NingShan act like being in love and NQ treating MSS like a porcelain doll while being rough with SS makes me mad. Any one who has not read the novel would think the OTP is NingShan and not NingSang which is crazy. I think the screenwriter forgets that this is NingSang's story and their journey together. It's all about their strong love, bond connection and not about some silly love triangle. It's ridiculous that after all of this the aunt still thinks she's doing a good job telling this story. She wasted so much time with NingShan and then expects the viewer to understand what NingSang means to each other in less than 10 episodes. It is unrealistic. I'm just glad MSS is out of the picture for now. S2 should focus more on SS story so hopefully they don't continue to make MSS appear too often. Bring her back just to let her know that NQ will never choose anyone over SS. There needs to be no doubt about this matter. 

• Like 2

So does anyone else get romance other than NingSang? I'm loving second brother :wub: so I wonder about him lol. 

If I was the screen writer I'd get MSS to give up on NQ the impossible and get her a new love interest. She can then ride off onto the sunset with him and live happily ever after. Maybe with 1st brother since he likes her so much. Problem solved. :D :P

• LOL 1

19 minutes ago, raziela said:

i love Chen PiPi :heart:  Every time he appears onscreen he makes me smile :)  I can't wait to see YHY back on the scene. I also love that red and white outfit NQ is wearing in those scenes.

That is cute. These are the kind of changes we want to see! ^_^ 

@rhapsit is so nice being back at the warm atmosphere of the Academy.  I love the interactions between all the Brothers and Sisters and NQ and SS.

@Snow Guardian Sometimes it feels like someone else wrote the earlier episodes!

I also don't understand how women can write and direct this story and have NQ raise his hand to SS in anger like this repeatedly :tears: It serves no purpose and it's not like they can blame the source material because NQ did not hit SS in the novel.

True. I also feel the same way.

I am wondering if the aunts were aware what is the international viewers's reactions or how the oppossite  culture's audiences will perceive after watching the scenes. I believe, many of them, including me, will think that this is an abuse!!! Its disguishing to be honest if a man do that to a girl. I dont see any respect in NQ towards SS (in the drama) while in the novel, I could feel respect in NQ to SS because SS is mature and calm, That's why he is very submissive to her. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, n3bula said:

Then i hope when s2 comes around the disappointed book readers can leave the thread because reading pages or seeing comments of just disappointing comments is really not fun at all.

I dont think it makes for a good discussion to have the whole thread basically being book readers who complain over every little change. If people still complain during s2 when you know changes are coming its just pointless. 

Literally read the last 5 pages and tell me if you were just a drama watcher would this thread be fun to follow. 

Even if they made changes still better then any other recent adaptation and book readers are always in the minority of people watching a drama yet the loudest.  

The book is still there if the book is superior then go read the book again, this is a adaption not a clone people who were expecting that clearly not seen any other adaptation on earth.