Quantcast
Jump to content
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

Recommended Posts

There are so many elements and aspects of this drama that are predictable yet not. There were glimpses of each person and thing's purpose in the beginning, but it's slowly becoming more certain as to what they are. The audience is only able to understand the story better as it progresses, making it both really confusing, and captivating. It started out as just a girl who can see ghosts, SM, meeting a mythical creature , OG, and is slowly becoming a story of self-acceptance, and correction of morals. It's as if the story began with separate and superficial elements, that are slowly being peeled through, revealing a deeper meaning to each and the connections between the people and objects. Every element in the end, is really directing towards OG and his path to correcting his ways, and to SM's self-acceptance. Of course, there's also MW's story with Princess Iron Fan, but even that's a little bit of a reflection of OG and SM's love story. The overall theme and general outline is still very close to the original, although it's told in a completely different way. I'm liking the story more and more as I watch it, although the mechanism through which it is told is extremely painful. OG and SM's romance is extremely tragic and sad, but it's going to be extremely memorable in the end as well. I feel like there's always more meaning behind the more tragic stories, which is soooo hateful, but also, loveable ;-;. It hurts to watch/read it, but you can't help but to immerse yourself in the story ;-;. 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a good idea to read the thread after letting some time pass.

I was very frustrated when OG felt pain inflicted by SM and thought that it was too angsty and overly dramatic. I thought that the GGG had been reduced to a source of pain and that the push-and-pull dynamics have become too much for me to bear (yet they still make me wait for them every weekend) but when I read your explanations (that the deity wants to teach OG a lesson and not just punish him) I felt relieved. Thank you!

I think those are the stages that OG will go through (aka : how he will become more tame) :

 

1. GGG : It was a mechanical device to controll him

 

2. His love for SM : It will make him believe in humanity again. (In this regard, I think that SM embodies the idea of 'humanity'. Remember how it catches OG off guard whenever she shows compassion for him or consideration since his own world is actually pretty cruel? Through SM he will get to like the human world)

 

3. His conscience : at this stage he won't need a control device or SM's love to tame him since he will have internalised everything (how to surpress his impulses etc.)

 

If the writer duo has this in mind, then I will be content. I like it how he has started to care more for those around him. It was a breath of fresh air to see him show so much concern for Buja when in the episodes before he was pretty harsh to her. OG's world doesn't only center around SM after all and he has a bigger heart than he lets on

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yanlit_stv said:

Totally agree with ur insights !

Lets just follow Hong sisters plan for our 3 main characters.

I still have doubt if taking off GGG is the only way... cannot even predicted what will happen after SM take it off.. 

I really love how MW's love has actually ever become a deity. I think she is a human whom deserve such status in heaven.

May be it will be the same with JSM. 

Excited for tomorrow how JSM reacts that SOG hurt because of the GGG, with/without knowinh the reason when SOG disobeys her. This indeed pissed SOG off, knowing the fact that he is no longer immortal bcz of GGG :grin:

 

 

Right now I hope that this coffin demon story will be finished tomorrow  , but if this evil buja is gonna see  the president’s candidate tomorrow (as we know imminently he is probably the biggest villain of which the story is being peeled episode per episode   , this means she will stay until episode 20 and it simply means angst angst angst scattered everywhere. I remember someone in this forum said about evil buja will control the candidate ( and thus will make huge calamity for the whole world using her special talking skills..). What happens if this evil buja starts to influence our whole demon family to be against samjang..woahh..that would be really epic.

 

Not to mention, OG’s expression is really kind of hurt knowing that SJ can literally control and kill him ..

Btw, i think OG has realised that without GGG his feeling to SJ will be the same (as he said “ jin seon mi, I will also be hurt  without this ggg” during their scene in OG’s bedroom but SJ didnt really catch that line cause she was busy staring at the stars made by OG). 

This realisation combined with the end of today’s episode where OG is bleeding due to his disobedience  are actually a great chance for this demon-coffin aka evil buja to influence more bad thoughts to OG...

 

and this evil buja will also do the same thing to MW concerning his lover NaChal

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A translation of the ep 12 preview

 

 

MW: Are you saying that the one buried under that tree is Ah Sa Nyeo ?
OG: When you’re still pretty, I will make sure to burn you.
BJ: He’s hurt because of unnie, isn’t he? Because unnie called him?
OG: Perhaps, do you know anything about that lady?
BJ: I want to have you.
MW: She said she saw that woman.
BJ: Shall I help you, Ma Wang-nim?

 

 

BJ seems to be turning into a succubus-like creature, seeing as how she seems to be trying to tempt both OG and MW albeit in different ways. And, I say succubus-like because I know that succubi traditionally tempted human men into having intercourse with them, however, BJ is into the immortal men rather than humans, so perhaps she is more Lilith than she is a succubus. :)

 

Though OG, at least, doesn't seem to be falling for it, I wonder if MW in his desperation will make a deal with BJ in some way.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What i don't understand is:

 

1. God plans everything .. then why human actions are never associated with god's plans? then it becomes all about humanity and choices (Thsi is across dramas and stories and regions)

 

Can we decide once and for all what role god really has?

 

2. hmm.. mosters evils should be punished.. but human evils again find excuses - he is human, you can't kill humans; oh he is human but the evil is evil..

 

I mean god needs to owe up to his responsibility.. if harming human world is a problem then shouldn't god punish himself first and foremost? (big big big eye roll here)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One theory I have is if the evil Buja smells SJ's blood, she would want SM even more because her blood is powerful and could make evil Buja even more dangerous to destroy. Maybe to get to SJ, she will try to control OG. I just hope OG doesn't fall for it and try to help get rid of that evil spirit for good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, briseis said:

You clearly haven't watched Moon Lovers - starting from episode 11 all I wished was for the drama to end so the pain would finally stop. If I survived that show I'll survive this even though it seems the angst will only increase with each passing episode.

 

Honestly, this is something I've suspected that might happen from the moment I saw that wire fasten around OG's heart in episode 2 - if you have something that looks like a torture device  around your heart that can mean only something bad - the original function of the GGG was a torture device - to bring pain to the proud Monkey King and to bring him to heel. And from the moment OG said SM is the only one who could kill him in the episode with the SNS demon I've expected this to happen sooner or later; his words sounded like a premonition/foreshadowing.

 

I have the last exam of winter semester on Wednesday so I won't be much active since I need to learn. I'm looking forward to all your insights :)

 

Good luck for your exam, @briseis

 

Yups... I remember I read your posts when Moon Lovers was aired. Agree, Moon Lovers really hurt me deeply till I couldn't watch anything for 3 months... Then Goblin made worse with the ending... With this kind of progress, really scares me with the ending...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chunkyung_8690 said:

 

 

Right now I hope that this coffin demon story will be finished tomorrow  , but if this evil buja is gonna see  the president’s candidate tomorrow (as we know imminently he is probably the biggest villain of which the story is being peeled episode per episode   , this means she will stay until episode 20 and it simply means angst angst angst scattered everywhere. I remember someone in this forum said about evil buja will control the candidate ( and thus will make huge calamity for the whole world using her special talking skills..). What happens if this evil buja starts to influence our whole demon family to be against samjang..woahh..that would be really epic.

 

Not to mention, OG’s expression is really kind of hurt knowing that SJ can literally control and kill him ..

Btw, i think OG has realised that without GGG his feeling to SJ will be the same (as he said “ jin seon mi, I will also be hurt  without this ggg” during their scene in OG’s bedroom but SJ didnt really catch that line cause she was busy staring at the stars made by OG). 

This realisation combined with the end of today’s episode where OG is bleeding due to his disobedience  are actually a great chance for this demon-coffin aka evil buja to influence more bad thoughts to OG...

 

and this evil buja will also do the same thing to MW concerning his lover NaChal

 

 

I wish that buja as an evil will be solved tomorrow.. refer back to the trans preview *thanks to @stroppyse :wub:
OG: When you’re pretty, I will make sure to burn you

SOG, by his own way of thinking, will realize that buja now is an evil and look for a way to help buja escaped from the coffin.

I feel that the biggest evil is the president candidate, since he is as a leader cannot have an evil side inside him. Literally, it will be the end of the world if such a leader exist.

Alsoo.

BJ: He’s hurt because of unnie, isn’t he? Because unnie called him? :heart:

Im wondering to how JSM reacts to Buja confrontation, taking off GGG it may be a choice. But what if SOG has realized all of these evil acts. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yanlit_stv said:

I wish that buja as an evil will be solved tomorrow.. refer back to the trans preview *thanks to @stroppyse :wub:
OG: When you’re pretty, I will make sure to burn you

SOG, by his own way of thinking, will realize that buja now is an evil and look for a way to help buja escaped from the coffin.

I feel that the biggest evil is the president candidate, since he is as a leader cannot have an evil side inside him. Literally, it will be the end of the world if such a leader exist.

Alsoo.

BJ: He’s hurt because of unnie, isn’t he? Because unnie called him? :heart:

Im wondering to how JSM reacts to Buja confrontation, taking off GGG it may be a choice. But what if SOG has realized all of these evil acts. 

OMO !!! 

Such a really great insight from you! 

 

I hope tomorrow OG will find the quickest way to  get the real buja out of the coffin..

i didnt like if buja to be a love obstacle between our couple although she is the real buja we used to know..because for me i feel slightly cringed  to see “daughter buja” seduces her own father and creates misunderstanding between samjang (who is her “mother”) and other people who cares about her presence.

I bet SJ will have a huuuge burden tomorrow after her confrontation with evil buja who tries to make our couple separated. SJ will distance herself from OG, perhaps ?

My other question is  what about PK’s  reaction? Will he recognise tomorrow that evil buja is not the  usual buja he adores? 

I mean..i hope they recognised right away just like when octopus prince went into Alice’s body..come on they are all demons and have powers, right? 

 

 

Hope that if everyone including MW fall to evil buja’s trick, OG will still be sane enough to get rid of this evil buja and save the day. 

 

No noble idiocy pleaseeeee. If there is, end it tomorrow as well. Pray pray pray

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now it is about 10:30hrs/am where I am. This is the current state of VIKI, and I feel like the right hand thumbnail.

ep11wait.png

I want my own little Yook Gong to keep watch for when the episode drops. :ph34r:

  • Like 2
  • LOL 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

@mufalo at first i was really upset that she is like killing him... But upon reflection... I think she is doing him a huge favour..she is saving him... If he had killed those two men who are actually just paid to bury BJ, then he would have incur the wrath of the Gods again... Remember this scene in episode 1 

 

 

He has to do good work by not harming humans... SM is there to help him... I think @bebebisous33 mentioned in one of the post thay SoG has to learn to be a good diety who does not act on impulse....  SM is helping him do that...

If he can't recognise the good intentions of SM, then he is not worthy of her... So i m hoping he will not be swayed or frightened of SM...

I am now at peace... 

Yes, SJ/SM's reaction was legitimate and correct. If she hadn't stopped him, OG would have sinned again. But fact is that loving someone signifies too that the loved one will hurt you... love is not always rosy. Now, OG knows that in love there is no guarantee for no pain.

To me, SJ is there to help OG to become a better god so that he can go back to Heaven. I would like to remind people that PK reacted in a similar way last week. Out of selfish reasons, he was willing to hurt a human. All these supernatural creatures like MW, OG and PK have something in common: they are quite selfish and act on impulse. Let us not forget that because MW left SJ in the movie in order to find his loved one, he risked SJ's life which had for a result: OG destroying this world in order to save SJ.

In other words, all these gods need to learn to be less selfish and emotional hence they are living among the humans. Sure, MW has started changing too... we could see the changes, when he met the demon capturing children souls. SJ has always protected the humans from the demons (ghosts aso) and her task has not changed at all. It is just that now OG is by her side and needs to be reminded of his duties. 

@stroppyse @larus @40somethingahjumma 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

plQ0KPB.png

Lyra constellation.

Saw this in dc.gall, is this a hint that she is the one who is going to die like Eurydice ?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OG can't kill Sunmi if there is GGG, but what if she took it off?

 

How did  Buja get revived again ? Maybe Sunmi gave her blood again? Gosh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, haymochi said:

OG can't kill Sunmi if there is GGG, but what if she took it off?

 

How did  Buja get revived again ? Maybe Sunmi gave her blood again? Gosh

But Buja didn't die because of the fall. She was severely smashed but still alive 'cause she can't die on her own. She is zombie after all and something like this can't kill her. I think the evil spirit from the coffin will posses her while OG and SM are on the roof.

 

Btw, I absolutely love how OG  hugged SM sheltering her from this gruesome view. He knows how much it would hurt her and he cares so much.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, juju84 said:

But Buja didn't die because of the fall. She was severely smashed but still alive 'cause she can't die on her own. She is zombie after all and something like this can't kill her. I think the evil spirit from the coffin will posses her while OG and SM are on the roof.

 

Btw, I absolutely love how OG  hugged SM sheltering her from this gruesome view. He knows how much it would hurt her and he cares so much.

Ah you are right .. viewers are forgetting that Buja already died and can only be destroyed by burning her hmmm..

 

i was carried away because i keep reading knetz ranting Buja died haha

I hope fans stop blaming Samajng for OG getting hurt though.  Some called her stupid for stopping OG in killing the two hitmen.

I mean yes, i want OG to kill those  j*rks too.  Yes, OG was so cool with his eyes like that.. but the consequences of OG killing humans will be too big. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chunkyung_8690 said:

OMO !!! 

Such a really great insight from you! 

 

I hope tomorrow OG will find the quickest way to  get the real buja out of the coffin..

i didnt like if buja to be a love obstacle between our couple although she is the real buja we used to know..because for me i feel slightly cringed  to see “daughter buja” seduces her own father and creates misunderstanding between samjang (who is her “mother”) and other people who cares about her presence.

I bet SJ will have a huuuge burden tomorrow after her confrontation with evil buja who tries to make our couple separated. SJ will distance herself from OG, perhaps ?

My other question is  what about PK’s  reaction? Will he recognise tomorrow that evil buja is not the  usual buja he adores? 

I mean..i hope they recognised right away just like when octopus prince went into Alice’s body..come on they are all demons and have powers, right? 

 

 

Hope that if everyone including MW fall to evil buja’s trick, OG will still be sane enough to get rid of this evil buja and save the day. 

 

No noble idiocy pleaseeeee. If there is, end it tomorrow as well. Pray pray pray

 

 

As a father, SOG should have feel cringe already tomorrow :lol: 

Again, with their separation??? It'll break our heart... it's only half way of the drama, if it's truly 20eps, but the angst is already too much.. the noble idiocy here can't be handled :bawling:

But for who will be this noble idiocy mean for SOG/JSM, in what way, today episode come faster lets end this angst 

About PK i dont have yet the slighest clue, too much concentrate on our OTP :tongue:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Ah tou are right .. viewers are forgetting that Buja already died and can only be destroyed by burning her hmmm..

 

i was carried away because i keep reading knetz ranting Buja died haha

I hope fans stop blaming Samajng for OG getting hurt though.  Some called her stupid for stopping OG in killing the two hitmen.

I mean yes, i want OG to kill those  j*rks too.  Yes, OG was so cool with his eyes like that.. but the consequences of OG killing humans will be too big. 

You are right. In fact SM saved OG by stopping him. I don't believe she was worrying about the safety of those two men or *took their side* 'cause they are human beings. At that moment the only think she was worried about was OG. She knows it's a crime to kill humans for someone like him. And she didn't want OG to sully his hands on the likes of them. Buja would be feeling even more miserable if he gets in trouble because of her.

 

So I don't blame SM one bit.  She did what was right and she protected the one she loves.

 

Honestly I can't say which one of them I felt more sorry for at that moment. OG who looked so hurt and shocked or SM who saw that look in his eyes, the one that said she betrayed him.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...