[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

55 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, I kind of had a bad thought. What if since SM has OG's eye now so that he can recognize SM regardless of what she looks like, they're actually already setting up for a Hwayugi Season 2, but knowing that they may have to have different actors? Then, the mystical eyes could be used to explain why SM looks different. And, then if LSG isn't available, they can just note that OG as a god changed his appearance since they can do that. Hmm, I'm really not excited about a season 2 of this drama. Sorry.

Oh dear god, I hope they don’t make a season 2 either...

Most of us were invested in LSG+OSY and their chemistry which is why this show worked...Idk how they’d pull it off again with different actors. I tried to get over that ending but I just ....  Hwayugi was my weekend escape from reality and (not to be dramatic) but for it to end like that just spiraled me into a deeper darkness. I was so ready to forgive all the flaws if we got that true “happily ever after”. lmao.

Lesson learned: don’t become too emotionally invested in that one TV show.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

Oh dear god, I hope they don’t make a season 2 either...

Most of us were invested in LSG+OSY and their chemistry which is why this show worked...Idk how they’d pull it off again with different actors. I tried to get over that ending but I just ....  Hwayugi was my weekend escape from reality and (not to be dramatic) but for it to end like that just spiraled me into a deeper darkness. I was so ready to forgive all the flaws if we got that true “happily ever after”. lmao.

Lesson learned: don’t become too emotionally invested in that one TV show.

This. All of this. :bawling:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, oic said:

Which interview was this ? Do you have the title or the link ?

You can watch the interview here (idk if it is region locked). Clarification, he says he is 86% like OG and OYS says she is maybe 15-20% like SM lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

This. All of this. :bawling:

Can't help it cos of their chemistry i got so involved like i'm witnessing a real couple that i root for a happy ending so much.

Not to mention my heart really wants Sunmi to be happy. This girl life is so heart wrenching.

She is too good for this world...

she deserves all the love but  in all her life she has been treated like a bad luck , bullied, and taken for granted. My comfort is she is loved by the powerful god who gave her his everything..

Even  all the love gather  from the whole world won't amount to how much OG has loved this girl :wub: :dissapointed_relieved:

*see now i'm sobbing again *

was travelling to work today and saw a travel agent banner "Travel Odyssey". Then i went *sob  again... what's this drama doing to meeeeeseeee:bawling:

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

Like I said, the ending looks like a continuation. There needs to be a season 2. Fans have already petition for a that. Which I don't know if it'll trigger the Hong Sisters to continue the series but we'll see. Scarlett Heart didn't do well in ratings so they didn't do a season 2. I personally think Scarlett Heart Korean version wasn't the best. I hated how everything turned out from the middle to the end. I knew it'll be a sad ending since it's an adaptation of the Chinese version. 

I would love to see LSG and OYS in another romantic drama together very soon! Please cast them again!!! 

• Like 6

Well, this was the end. I'm not sure what to feel. It seemes to lead to a happy ending, but we can't be sure. I still can't believe that MW's wife couldn't return to heaven after all she went through and all he went through for her and had to be reincarnated as a plant, and that their son still cannot know about his parents or his own past, it's kind of sad. Also I still cannot understand why they killed the dragon prince. I feel sorry for BJ, somehow I had hoped she would resurface and have a happy ending too, instead she had a hard life it seems, got killed randomly, somehow lived a while as a zombie and then just randomly died permanently, even her body was used after her death by an evil person to do evil deeds, then was burned. How did the poor girl deserve this?

Also still cannot understand the whole thing with the black dragon and such. I mean of course you can have a black evil dragon as the ultra strong antagonist of sorts, it just seems weird when one of the supporting characters is a dragon (prince even) himself and just died like that, not to mention that his father is a dragon king with a palace in the sea and all. I mean they have connections to a REAL DRAGON why all the fuss about the fake one??

Life must be hard for the poor ex-employee of SM, I wonder how he'll carry through, scared of ghosts, not able to sense or see them, and having to fight them (??? how is that even supposed to work?)

All in all I had fun watching this one, but sadly as many kdramas things went downhill at the end just when the viewers (or at least me) expected the climax and the best part, oh well.

• Like 2

^ What if they only keep LSG? 

MW and his dog secretary and son = you don't need them anymore. Their story is complete except probably cameos (which I'm sure the actor would do in a heartbeat). Because OG packed his bag and drove off into the sunset, he left all the other cast behind. 

They could bring back the original actress who played SM, yes.... but they don't have to if they go the reincarnation route. :) Keep in mind, when OG was going to go on a journey the last time (the book seller episode), they were talking about 50 years going by without a thought. So probably enough time for another SM to be born and grow up. Especially if she's half deity thanks to her extra eyeball. :D  <= That would mess up the Euridice references/inferences that they were putting out there, but I'm actually not too upset about seeing the female lead played by somebody a bit more lively and happy + bringing back LSG as OG (we love LSG and I think we all absolutely loved his characterization of OG too LOL).  

In the series that we just watched, SM's character was reserved and sad for the most part. Lot of crying or teary eyes. I think that the character was intended to be a tragic person who was destined to get killed or otherwise be left behind. 

****I stand by what I said earlier. I don't think with the current loop (OG reclaiming his bride from the afterlife) has enough plot to require a second season. IF we are just looking for him to go get her and bring her back, that could have been done in a 1-5 minute scene. I also think that majority of viewers who watched this series only to get kiss/sex scenes between the primary characters are not going to be happy about a second season where they are apart and the whole plot is him finding her. 

But I also do not mind getting more OG + like I said, it would have been fun seeing him meet a completely different SM and falling in love with her all over again. That's either a different actress OR the original actress portraying a completely different attitude towards life. :)

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

What an odyssey withou OG lee seunggi and Sunmi OYS?

what the hell is that? Who will beat these two chemistry? That sounds absurd

people want season 2 because of this couple that's what i'm reading on Naver right now. 

people want LSG- OYS pairing back with a happy ending. I can imagine the cursing from knetz if they ever change the otp. They've been saying no chemistry is like them

and OG going to kidnap Sunmi from after life is because he can't wait for he hee to be reincarnated or whatever. He wants her immortal hence with giving her one of his eyes

OG loves Sunmi because she is sunmi.

i'd rather watch a diff drama if they change the actress or Sunmi suddenly change into a typical bubbly cute  female lead

actually just give me 20 -30 min special to finish their story then i'm more than happy

• Like 10

I rather have him look for and save her in the afterlife or underworld in S2. But the plot will have new and old characters living in the afterlife. There will be problems in taking SM back with him with someone else liking her or someone who wants revenge with OG from the past. We'll also have KDS become an evil spirit whose body will need to be put to rest since he was trapped in the coffin. Something along these lines. 

I prefer all the main actors to come back for S2 if possible. No need to make it a 20 episode series. As long as everyone's issues from S1 is solved appropriately, then I'm happy with it since the Hong Sisters didn't explain a lot about each characters and not much was solved for their individual lives. 

• Like 8

The end credits should have had a message at the end  that said "see you in the afterlife" or "Call my name and i will find you. I am coming. See you in the underworld!" which would imply a second season or movie lol. Kind of liek how the end of yuri on ice said "see you next level!" with a movie coming soon haha. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

15 minutes ago, haymochi said:

What an odyssey withou OG lee seunggi and Sunmi OYS?

what the hell is that? Who will beat these teo chemistry? That sounds absurd

people want season 2 because of this couple that's what i'm reading on Naver right now. 

people want LSG- OYS pairing back with a happy ending. I can imagine the cursing from knetz if they ever change the otp. They've been saying no chemistry is like them

and OG going to kidnap Sunmi from after life is because he can't wait for he lr to be reincarnated or whatever. He wants her immortal hence with giving her one of his eyes

OG loves Sunmi because she is sunmi.

i'd rather watch a diff drama if they change the actress or Sunmi suddenly change into a typical bubbly cute  female lead

actuslly just give me 20 -30 min special to finish their story then i'm more than happy

What if we get a Sassy Girl version of OYS? Or at least somebody who is happy and isn't living life wearing black? Somebody who doesn't remember growing up with sadness, loss, and abandonment? 

• Like 3

1513121790.gifI prefer not to have season 2 if they decided to change the casts. Even if they kept LSG and decided to change OYS to another actress, I'm sure they will get soooo many hate about that. :D:D It won't be Hwayugi if isn't Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon seo. it won't be Geumganggo couple or 503 couple if isn't Lee Seung Gi and Oh yeon Seo. 

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

LI prefer not to have season 2 if they decided to change the casts. Even if they kept LSG and decided to change OYS to another actress, I'm sure they will get soooo many hate about that. :D:D It won't be Hwayugi if isn't Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon seo. it won't be Geumganggo couple or 503 couple if isn't Lee Seung Gi and Oh yeon Seo. 

This time  The definition ONE TRUE PAIRING is so accurate for Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo aka Son Oh Gong and Jin Sunmi

i'm gonna camp in this thread till my heart is ready to let go (don't know when...)

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

I don't know how I would feel about season two. I really will miss this drama but I'm afraid of a season two with more frustrating filler, more loose ends that are left untied... and possibly an even sadder/ unsatisfying ending. Maybe it is just my experience but usually second seasons leave me even more upset. Although if it is the same cast I will not be able to resist watching... I even watched all of ep 20 again with the subs. I still don't like the ending but I enjoyed the acting.

And if it is a different cast then forget it. I'll stick to reading fanfiction and imagining the ending.

• Like 3

Good morning from my side... It's 7.17 am here and I wanna write this to cure my wounds because of this drama *such a drama queen? Yeah, I am*

So for the previous posting I talking about the OST in episode 20. Now I wanna talk about "kiss scene" here... We all agree that LSG and OYS chemistry, that's one thing rare we got in Kdrama Land, we really got into believe that both of them really fall in love deeply. I hope Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo representative read all praises that we have given to the actor actress, despite we, not all but maybe many of us, feel dissapointed with the writer's ending choice.

Hahahahahaha... I open my long posting with that :wub:

EPISODE 2

SOG really shock with JSM suddenly peck him. And that's to activation the GGG. Eventhough he doesn't realize that before the kiss, he already have complicated feelings towrads JSM. He felt bad and felt so sorry because he left JSM and not root to his own promise to protect her (maybe that's why in episode 20, he said to Mawang that he felt sorry and happy  towards JSM). He also felt amaze with the great desire of JSM to keep alive despite no friends, no family and no lover (he said that in episode 19 right? Because JSM is such a deligent human, why she never late to work as human)

EPISODE 7 - EPISODE 8

Yeah the end of episode 7, finally, it's SOG's turn. He kissed JSM because of his jealousy. As you know he's The Great Sage Equal To Heaven, Son Oh Gong. He definitely never let his woman stand there in front of him being sweet with others man....

And in episode 8, that kiss was repeated because SOG's so proud with what he did to claim JSM as him. Also JSM seems happy because his Mr Fairy really dislike she's near with others man.

EPISODE 10 - EPISODE 11

Yeah our activation kiss in library. In episode 20, this kiss also repeated twice. Yups, this is their confirmation to their status to each others. No friends. No family either. But LOVER. Eventhough JSM's lil bit shy later.

EPISODE 13

The way SOG wanna make JSM to believe him, to marry with him. He wanna make her sure that's his choice to keep loving her and marry her, that's a lifetime contract.

EPISODE 15 - EPISODE 16

Okay I know this one isn't JSM, that's ASN. But honestly I like OYS as ASN too, she shows her talents here... Daebak....

And of course to trap the evil ASN, SOG should do that... That kiss... Hhhhmmmm... And see how mad JSM when she realize her man should kiss that evil witch...

EPISODE 18 - EPISODE 19

This is my favorite one for sure. When finally we got something different that I've ever seen from those actor actress. Seriously I never imagined that I could see that kind of scene. And this kiss and then bed scene likes stimulation from all their feeling... Hahahahahahahha talking about stimulation, I just remember the 1st video I posted here... So he really stimulated that.

EPISODE 20

In the end we also get kiss scene but that's only peck. Yeah back to episode 2 look alike, JSM kiss SOG to show how she activated the GGG. Yeah this time SOG who's lost his memories after got the greatest pain in his life (I thought lost his memories as the only method he used to protect himself, maybe because the great SOG really deeply in love with human JSM, he slowly became more like human. Yups try to run from reality is such normal human's way to continue alive...)

• Like 15

I agree to that. If season 2 is without the same cast, then its better to stop at season 1. I don't want season 2 without LSG & OYS. Ship them so hard now.. :wub:

But i'll forgive the bad ending if they go on a date in real life!!! :D:D

• Like 12

19 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Can you explain in brief what he did? I know you posted the chapter links but I clicked on it and they are long and a bit confusing since I am not well versed with the story from the books. The Monkey God in the books and the Monkey God in the show seems very different.

Is it also true that in the books the monk died and Monkey God brought him back? Is that what the writer hinted at with the ending?

[...]

Sure! I'll post an abridged version this week. :) I read more of the ending chapters after your comment and now especially like Oh Gong's second trip into the underworld in chapter 97. :wink: Even though it wasn't the monk, the one it was, was similar to Sun Mi in goodness and being deserving.

I agree that Oh Gong in JTTW is a very different character than Oh Gong in Hwayugi, but I consider their power levels to be very similar. There have been many hints of that, even though the drama wasn't able to show him at his coolest like a big budget movie would have.

And, Ha! Now my count of people rising from the dead in JTTW has risen to 6. I wonder if the Hong sisters thought while reading JTTW, "It's like how zombies keep increasing, only not, because they properly return to life. Hey, you know what. Let's put in an actual zombie. We can use her for a second romance line and to make the message of loving life yet also loving others more than one's life even stronger. Ayup, let's do that."

@stroppyse and @ladysaotome, too. I'm so happy to hear the posts were helpful. ^^ I'll be sure to tag you three when I post the guidebook/glossary.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1