[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

1 hour ago, YourHighness . said:

Yes it is possible it was the director's choice or the channels for keeping an open ending in case they plan a season 2. And Hwayugi was a hit, even with the Olympics.

I remember in Faith, the writer had actually written that the OTP will hug and kiss but the director felt it didn't suit the hero's silent personality so changed it to them just staring at each other with teary eyes. LOL, I raged at that ending so imagine how much I am raging right now. Seriously it would have taken them zero effort to show JSM with SOG in the car proving to us that he was successful in his quest but..*sigh*.

Tell me about director's choice lmao

Shine or Go Crazy one of Oh Yeon Seo's drama suffered the same thing. The scriptwriter wrote her character coming back and jumped happily to the male lead's arm with him kissing her 

but of course pd want a more memorable ending "let have them hug and reunited in the after life instead ". Even OYS felts so betrayed that she bawled at the wrap up party. She said she didn't know the ending would be like that :lol:

heh.. now she suffered another crappy ending.  It's weird that everytime her drama where i got attached to her character and love story, the ending always managed to wreck my heart. But this couple won me over with their love story and chemistry that it still kills me till today. Idk how i can get over this drama, wanna rewatch it from the start but everytime i remember Sunmi dying on OG's arm. I feel so suffocated again :bawling:

Should have done your job properly Hong Sisters!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, that is some more of the Hong Sisters' ability to write dialogue. It is a not an exceptional way to phrase a promise to love someone no matter what. Usually, it's meant as a reassurance so that the loved one can follow their dream without fear of losing their lover or to assuage a fear of getting old, etc. I don't remember how it was phrased in IANAR, so would have

However, in this case, it is a god who is talking about a mortal who has gone to the afterlife. It was not a simple promise. It felt too much like a plot device to another season, with all the uncertainties that would entail.

Actually, I read the article in dramabeans because someone posted a link to it. And, I thought the comments of the reviewer was interesting in that she also remarked that episode 20 felt like a bridge to an episode 21 or something. But I didn't read the comments section beneath the article.

I'm not reading too much into "however you change however you become" i'm really not reading to much into it lol. It's just the usuaal k-drama troupe

and of course Sunmi will change.. she is no longer a human being with the lotus scent and it's not like she is kidnapping his bride in one year time.. it's just 1-2 days and that guy is already in his car ready to cause havoc in the land of dead.

Giving his eyes is like another promise they made that could never be broken this time .. the ring and now part of his body. That's how much he loves her

it would be perfect with an extra episode to finish off this journey but the casts are already so busy esp the two main otp.. sigh

a fanfic to ease our pain . Our desired ending

https://www.wattpad.com/story/140877202?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=link&utm_content=story_info&wp_page=story_details&wp_uname=CreativeHands4U&wp_originator=iHnkhEGDK4q57zf8JIrcrWQzvvvJBq6%2BNThn2Fj5OLPuzkfo8gtKT7quUHwtf8idBGXOf66uvubZx%2Frb8cnoEOSwDU54g%2Fn0gNaFR0WGHbj4CGKzVKDOOodX5PSHqd9y&_referrer=twitter&_branch_match_id=499684677584594600

• Like 10

7 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

It is so funny. But again, come to think all of the ending. It shreds my heart to pieces. Why the good girls here should have that crappy fated life and died. 

I thought, didn't they try to convey some suicide awareness message through SM's devotion to her life. Look at her now, no happy ending to the end. And BJ, tch... her life is nothing but a crap as well. So contrary to what they depict for the early episodes. They shouldn't have lured fans and viewers with that love story if it's just ended as a tragedy. 

Oh.. look at me, whining uncontrorlably, I can't get over this yet, <_<

I had tried to be positive and accept this. But again.. it feels so hurt whenever I remember the ending. Pfftt

I am traumatized.boohoo-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793

Me too it still hurt, and I'm totally traumatized :bawling:

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, ShannonK said:

This is a story in the Korean Daily about how people are displeased with the ending.  There is now a public outcry for a 2nd season. I used google translate to sort through it but if someone is game to translate feel free...

http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?page=1&branch=&source=&category=entertainment&art_id=6044226

Too little, too late imo. They should’ve done it right the first time. 

If it’s true that Hwayugi was originally supposed to be 16 episodes then it’s even more infuriating what the Hong Sisters did. I don’t need or want a half assed 2nd season, when they already half assed the ending. It made me feel like OG when he said “My heart went through so much pain until now, but now you want me to ‘live well’?” 

• Like 2

I'm gonna say that at least all the actors and actresses  got their share of praises. I'm gonnabe happy with that 

and OYS haters can swallow their nonsense cos this girl always managed to prove people wrong. knetz  are praising  her that she manages to bring so much affection to Jinsunmi's character who is beautiful inside and outside

it's obvious that despite suffering and working hard these casts had fun working together.  The ambience is good and pleasant... a season 2 with the 3 main casts+sa oh jeong + PK would be great 

They  can finally show  them to working together as a team  and fight the evils.. with better pd and time to produce the drama, a 2nd season would be epic. 

But with the negativity Hong Sisters are getting right now.. i'm not so sure. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, candiilicious said:

I was the same as you before, didn't really notice him or thought that he was handsome (i was more of a fan of pretty boys :lol:). But damnnn, this SOG role really let us see his charming side and i actually love his monkey fringe cut. It does really suits him and i kinda miss it that he cut it right after the filming finish. He is the most handsome and charming monkey ever! Nobody can ever replace LSG as JCDSSOG in my heart. Hehehe :wub:

Edit: anyway I have not watch ep 19 & 20 with complete subs, just some snippets. I'm not sure if my heart can take it. Sighhh.

The withdrawal syndrome is so strong even without watching the last 2 eps. How can I cope with it? I believe I will feel more empty after watching that unsatisfactory ending. :bawling:

Its the first time I'm so into both the drama and the OTP yet it ended this wayyy....

Hahaha we were like

Lee Seung gi with normal hair : okay.. nope

Lee seung gi with that weird triangle bang : OMG he is so hot! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

now I'm so getting used to that weird bang. hahaha.. but i think short hair really suits him. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

45 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

Hahaha we were like

Lee seung gi with that weird triangle bang : OMG he is so hot! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

now I'm so getting used to that weird bang. hahaha.. but i think short hair really suits him. 

Agreed !!!! He and shaggy hair is a nope. Army did him good hahahahahah

• Like 4

9 hours ago, immortal_piglet said:

I thought i’ve recovered from the withdrawal syndromes because work was so busy.. 

and then one of the hwayugi OST Mackelli - Believe started playing on my spotify.. and i felt overwhelmed with grief (lol so dramatic i know)

The lyrics are made for SOG.. especially the part that said “where are you? More than any other day, i miss you..”

:bawling:

Can anyone imagine the pain of SOG who was left behind? 

Afterall, The hong sisters did give us hint on how hwayugi will end through the last OST. :mellow: But we just brushed it off and still hoping for a happy ending~

8 hours ago, philosophie said:

Here’s my version of what happened at the end of Hwayugi (starts from scene after ep19):

SM is in Sureumdong dead as we think. But the white heron appears in spirit and flashes some bright light on SMs body and she gains consciousness. SM is surprised  to see her, saying she thought she went somewhere faraway and White heron replies that she did, and will be away after she finishes what she had to do. The white heron had made a wish when she killed herself which was to sacrifice herself instead SM for the death. Then SM is completely revived and the white heron disappears. SM goes back to dragon gates are where OG is and holds him in her arms as she tries to wake him up. He does and is surprised to see her but hugs her tightly nonetheless, saying he loves her so much he didn’t want to live in this world if she wasn’t in it. She then sees that he’s not wearing the g bracelet and realizes his love for her is real and sincere. OGs wish comes true too; like he once lied to Sm that the previous SJ and her guardian were promoted to deities, they are actually turned into deities.

Meanwhile, KDS is dealt in some hwayugi-manner that makes us like the heavens for ONCE cause they’re finally doing their job right. ANS is taken to the heavens for punishment, but just as SM had gotten some of ANS power, since BJ has SMS blood, she also somehow absorbs powers that makes her body permanently ‘immortal’ or at least not have the problems she did as a rotting zombie. She also gains consciousness but has no memory of what happened while ANS was in her (finally an amnesia twist done right!!). PG and her end up together and when she asks about octopus, he just says e went back to his dragon kingdom while she was unconscious. MW and Secretary ma are together as always with his PASS! And it is revealed shopkeepers grandson is his son, they are reunited and stay together throughout time jump making up for lost years.

time jump: ~16 years later

A high school student comes out from school gates once it’s the end of the day and she looks exactly like the Summer Fairy. She was reincarnated (but not with any curse like MWs lover had). Winter General watches from afar with a happy expression as she is happily walking with her girlfriends talking about getting the newest line of make up coming out and wanting to own a sul bar when she grows up.

MW is at his entertainment office with Ma, playing with a baby that looks exactly like the one he melted for back when the white heron brought a baby that hadn’t been born yet. It’s SM and OGs baby. He’s making faces and having the time of his life while this time, his son is watching from afar, with disgust but slight jealousy and amusement too. He turned the mystical shop into a video game shop like he wanted. PG and BJ are now famous idols also famously dating and one of Korea’s favorite couples kinda like a brangelina.

SM and OG have remained in the human world to continue combatting evil spirits and keeping this place the safest place is can be, spending an eternity together to make the world a better place and not be alone in doing it while also bringing out the best in each other.

The End

Nice fanfic you have there! Which is definitely much better than what the Hong sisters give us.

Too much time wasted on the amnesia plot tbh.

Sigh pie, still feeling empty and secretly hoping there will be an additional ep this Saturday.

1 hour ago, annie1234 said:

Hahaha we were like

Hahhaha yess! Exactly my thoughts. He looks really good in short hair with that shaved sides & triangle bang. :wub::wub:

Only LSG can rock this hairstyle :D

I even asked my bf to cut SOG hairstyle. hahahahha. which obviously he thinks that im crazy 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

23 minutes ago, haymochi said:

They are not giving any bts lol

They are super stingy with bts. Is there any hope for more bts in dvd? or even, is there any hope for dvd? How long usually does the dvd come out?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, candiilicious said:

Afterall, The hong sisters did give us hint on how hwayugi will end through the last OST. :mellow: But we just brushed it off and still hoping for a happy ending~

I'm sorry but after ep 18  ep that ost didn't sound sad to me at all . Like someone sid here, it started to sound like  "i'm kissing you ~i'm kissing you~"

guess that ep 18 made us a blind and ignorant lol so the betrayal is even bigger

but seriously, is it so hard to make a happy ending like the original? It makes more sense that after Sunmi suffering all life but with her kind heart and sacrifice, shouldn't she be rewarded as a deity???!!! 

I wanna curse Hong sisters but i guess knetzs are already doing it for me.

I need more fanfic to heal my heart

• Like 6

Hwayugi Funny, Firey, Fill-In-the-Blanks, Finale Round 4 Results! :heart:

Many, many thanks to everyone who participated in the Fill in the Blanks game and to those how encouraged me and the participants!:wub: 

The theme this time is what this drama could have been about. :blink:

@rocat:

Episode 1 Text Preview
At the blindfold of Woo Ma Wang, Sun Mi who could see magic staves since childhood, went to the Five Bananas Mountain, which only clues can enter. She was deceived by the sock of Son Oh Gong, who was strangling in the mountain, and ended up helping Son Oh Gong to flap.

25 monkey onesies later, Woo Ma Wang, who blood-curdlingly contributed to Oh Gong’s flapping, is burning inside while screaming with Oh Gong whom he slaps.

Sun Mi is making use of her special toes and running “Silly & Creepy Specialty Realty” while looking for Oh Gong who tricked her and stole.

Then one day, after learning that there is a clue who was born with the kitchen of Sam Jang, which gives one incredible knives if one drinks it, Son Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang become obsessed with swinging the Sam Jang…… …Weh??!

Gamehost commentary:

Spoiler

JTTEdge.png

@stargazer187:

Episode 1 Text Preview
At the penthouse of Woo Ma Wang, Sun Mi who could see wines since childhood, went to the Five Teas Mountain, which only love can enter. She was deceived by the memory of Son Oh Gong, who was remembering in the mountain, and ended up helping Son Oh Gong to sob.

25 wounds later, Woo Ma Wang, who sadly contributed to Oh Gong’s sobbing, is burning inside while fighting with Oh Gong whom he wins.

Sun Mi is making use of her special happiness and running “Horrible & Painful Specialty Realty” while looking for Oh Gong who tricked her and reunited.

Then one day, after learning that there is a love who was born with the future of Sam Jang, which gives one incredible reincarnation if one drinks it, Son Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang become obsessed with awakening the Sam Jang…… who cries, “All I want is happy ending!”

Gamehost commentary: If Oh Gong and Ma Wang wanted to reincarnate themselves, what do you think they would want to be?

----

If you'd like, play the music softly in the background for full effect while reading.

@rocat:

OST 2 - Bumkey - When I Saw YouPegasus

♫ When I saw Pegasus
♫ I think only about griffins
♫ When I love Pegasus

♫ Did you miss centaurs
♫ Even if my basilisks change ♫
♫ I will ♫

***START OF REFRAIN***
♫ I train griffins next, just as minotaurs are ♫

♫ Can we itch
♫ When I saw Pegasus

♫ Always behind of griffins
*** END OF REFRAIN***

♫ Close your unicorn

♫ Just seeing the Care Bear leaving ♫
♫ When I leave smurfs

♫ Are you with Hydra

♫ Even if the dragon hates us ♫
♫ I will ♫

*** REFRAIN ***

♫ I will bury it in the fading Godzilla
♫ I'll love according to that Godzilla

♫ The expression in your unicorn

♫ If they can all be tumbled

♫ Can we itch

♫ When I saw Pegasus

Gamehost commentary: :joy::joy::joy:

@stargazer187: -I'm playing a prank in hopes of giving you a laugh to cheer you :wink: -

Try reading the text with enka music playing instead.:tongue:

OST NOT - Itsuki Hiroshi - When I Saw Namsan Tower

♫ When I saw Namsan Tower
♫ I think only about rings

♫ When I love, Namsan Tower
♫ Did you miss bracelets

♫ Even if my ice cream change, I will ♫
♫ If they can all be risen

♫ I throw rings next, just as candy are ♫
♫ Can we tteokbeokki

♫ Always behind of rings, close your sword ♫ 
♫ Just seeing the bowl leaving ♫ 
♫ When I leave stone, are you with house
♫ Even if the valley hates us ♫

♫ I will bury it ♫ ♫ In the fading dragon
♫ I'll live according to that dragon

♫ The expression in your sword

-Okay, okay. Here's the actual result if you really want to read it :phew: -

Spoiler

OST 2 - Bumkey - When I Saw YouNamsan Tower
♫ I think only about rings
♫ When I love Namsan Tower

♫ Did you miss bracelet
♫ Even if my ice cream change ♫
♫ I will ♫

***START OF REFRAIN***

♫ Can we tteokbeokki

♫ Always behind of rings
♫ Always behind of rings

*** END OF REFRAIN***

♫ Close your sword

♫ Just seeing the bowl leaving ♫
♫ When I leave stone

♫ Are you with house

♫ Even if the valley hates us ♫
♫ I will ♫

*** REFRAIN ***

♫ I will bury it in the fading dragon
♫ I'll live according to that dragon

♫ The expression in your sword

♫ If they can all be risen

♫ Can we tteokbeokki

♫ Always behind of rings
♫ Always behind of rings

Original texts:

Spoiler

Episode 1 text preview

At the request of Woo Ma Wang, Sun Mi who could see spirits since childhood, went to the Five Elements Mountain, which only humans can enter. She was deceived by the enticement of Son Oh Gong, who was imprisoned in the mountain, and ended up helping Son Oh Gong escape.

25 years later, Woo Ma Wang, who inadvertently contributed to Oh Gong’s escape, is burning inside while living with Oh Gong whom he hates.

Sun Mi is making use of her special ability and running “Haunted & Deserted Specialty Realty” while looking for Oh Gong who tricked her and disappeared.

Then one day, after learning that there is a human who was born with the blood of Sam Jang, which gives one incredible power if one drinks it, Son Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang become obsessed with finding the Sam Jang…… 

Small revisions from original translation by, tryp96.

OST 2 - Bumkey - When I Saw You

♫ When I saw you ♫
♫ I think only about you ♫
♫ When I love you ♫

♫ Did you miss me ♫
♫ Even if my feelings change ♫
♫ I will ♫

♫ I wish you next, just as we are ♫

♫ Can we go back ♫
♫ When I saw you ♫

♫ Always behind of you ♫
♫ Always behind of you ♫

♫ Close your eyes ♫

♫ Just seeing the back of my head leaving ♫
♫ When I leave you ♫

♫ Are you with me ♫

♫ Even if the world hates us ♫
♫ I will ♫

♫ I wish you next, just as we are ♫

♫ Can we go back ♫
♫ When I saw you ♫

♫ Always behind of you ♫
♫ Always behind of you ♫

♫ I will bury it in the fading memory ♫
♫ I'll live according to that memory ♫

♫ The expression in your eyes ♫

♫ If they can all be forgotten ♫

♫ Can we go back ♫

♫ When I saw you ♫

♫ Always behind of you ♫
♫ Always behind of you ♫

Text from original translation by The Monkey Minions on VIKI.

Like the game and want to play with your friends outside of Soompi? Here is the game ready text:

Spoiler

Link to the game instructions and word examples

Episode 1 Text Preview
At the noun1 of Woo Ma Wang, Sun Mi who could see noun2 since childhood, went to the Five noun3 (plural) Mountain, which only noun4 can enter. She was deceived by the noun5 of Son Oh Gong, who was verb1 in the mountain, and ended up helping Son Oh Gong verb2.

25 noun6 (plural) later, Woo Ma Wang, who adjective1+ly contributed to Oh Gong’s verb2 repeats(+ing, if necessary), is burning inside while verb3+ing with Oh Gong whom he verb4.

Sun Mi is making use of her special noun7 and running “Adjective2 & Adjective3 Specialty Realty” while looking for Oh Gong who tricked her and verb5 (past tense).

Then one day, after learning that there is a noun4 repeats who was born with the noun8 of Sam Jang, which gives one incredible noun9 if one drinks it, Son Oh Gong and Woo Ma Wang become obsessed with verb6+ing the Sam Jang…… reaction phrase (optional)

Word list:
Noun1:
Noun2:
Noun3:
Noun4:
Noun5:
Verb1:
Verb2:
Noun6:
Adjective1:
Verb3:
Verb4:
Noun7:
Adjective2:
Adjective3:
Verb5:
Noun8:
Noun9:
Verb6:
Reaction phrase (optional):

OST 2 - Bumkey - When I Saw You

♫ When I saw noun1
♫ I think only about noun2
♫ When I love noun1 repeats ♫

♫ Did you miss noun3
♫ Even if my noun4 change ♫
♫ I will ♫

***START OF REFRAIN***
♫ I verb1 noun2 repeats next, just as noun5 are ♫

♫ Can we verb2
♫ When I saw noun1 repeats

♫ Always behind of noun2 repeats
*** END OF REFRAIN***

♫ Close your noun6

♫ Just seeing the noun7 leaving ♫
♫ When I leave noun8

♫ Are you with noun9

♫ Even if the noun10 hates us ♫
♫ I will ♫

*** REFRAIN ***

♫ I will bury it in the fading noun11
♫ I'll verb3 according to that noun11 repeats

♫ The expression in your noun6 repeats

♫ If they can all be verb4

♫ Can we verb2 repeats

♫ When I saw noun1 repeats

Word List 2:
Noun1:
Noun2:
Noun3:
Noun4:
Verb1:
Noun5:
Verb2:
Noun6:
Noun7:
Noun8:
Noun9:
Noun10:
Noun11:
Verb3:
Verb4:

===

Want to read the previous rounds' results one more time? They can be found here: Round 1, Round 2, Round 3.

It's been a ton of fun, and I hope we will play again sometime in a future drama’s thread! :D

Tagging with gratitude: @Lmangla

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, haymochi said:

They are not giving any bts lol

that so weird . is this normal for other tvn show too ? they don't show  others  drama  last eps bts too ? cause i never follow other drama before .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, arche0112 said:

that so weird . is this normal for other tvn show too ? they don't show  others  drama  last eps bts too ? cause i never follow other drama before .

Yes it's weird.

dramas usually show a lot of otp bts

and gave interview to the main cast but not for this drama. I don't even remember Cha seung Won ever get his interview at all.

not just that, they usually give NGs for laughs but Hwayugi never did that or just cut it.

last ep should be full of bts/ NGs/ interview but none of that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, haymochi said:

Tell me about director's choice lmao

Shine or Go Crazy one of Oh Yeon Seo's drama suffered the same thing. The scriptwriter wrote her character coming back and jumped happily to the male lead's arm with him kissing her 

but of course pd want a more memorable ending "let have them hug and reunited in the after life instead ". Even OYS felts so betrayed that she bawled at the wrap up party. She said she didn't know the ending would be like that :lol:

heh.. now she suffered another crappy ending.  It's weird that everytime her drama where i got attached to her character and love story, the ending always managed to wreck my heart. But this couple won me over with their love story and chemistry that it still kills me till today. Idk how i can get over this drama, wanna rewatch it from the start but everytime i remember Sunmi dying on OG's arm. I feel so suffocated again :bawling:

Should have done your job properly Hong Sisters!!!

Oh Damn, really? Poor OYS. SOGC and now Hwayugi too...even LSG almost always gets open endings..both of them have had such bad luck. :( 

Don't remind me of JSM dying in OG's arms. :( I didn't cry when episode 19th aired because I thought they will definitely get a happy ever after but now it makes me emotional since the show ended on them still being apart and in different dimensions. :( 

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

So, that is some more of the Hong Sisters' ability to write dialogue. It is a not an exceptional way to phrase a promise to love someone no matter what. Usually, it's meant as a reassurance so that the loved one can follow their dream without fear of losing their lover or to assuage a fear of getting old, etc. I don't remember how it was phrased in IANAR, so would have

However, in this case, it is a god who is talking about a mortal who has gone to the afterlife. It was not a simple promise. It felt too much like a plot device to another season, with all the uncertainties that would entail.

Actually, I read the article in dramabeans because someone posted a link to it. And, I thought the comments of the reviewer was interesting in that she also remarked that episode 20 felt like a bridge to an episode 21 or something. But I didn't read the comments section beneath the article.

I agree..it did feel like a plot device for a continuation..especially since the show was supposed to end at all the characters ending their journey and gaining deityhood but it felt like they weren't even halfway done in episode 20.

You didn't miss much in the comment section. Everyone is angry. Everyone feels cheated. No one is praising the ending. Basically people are resorting to writing fanfiction to give themselves and the fans closure. But most of them are demanding Season 2.

I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't mind if they don't give us a season 2 but I will take even a measly special with conclusion to the OTP's journey for finding each other and ending up together. They kept too many plot lines open for them for us to be happy with crumbs of a maybe happy ending. It's very unfair to us after we invested so much time and emotion in their journey.

8 hours ago, ShannonK said:

This is a story in the Korean Daily about how people are displeased with the ending.  There is now a public outcry for a 2nd season. I used google translate to sort through it but if someone is game to translate feel free...

http://www.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?page=1&branch=&source=&category=entertainment&art_id=6044226

Oh wow..there's an actual article? :o I guess the cast, team and channel is aware of the displeasure now. I know it's a futile hope but if not a Season 2 I hope it can lead to at least a special episode for Hwayugi's conclusion for the OTP.

• Like 3