[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, mujay said:

Still root for subtle love line,kind of not who belong whom, just feeling like somehow you have someone care enough to depend and to be missed. To talk when your day become rough lend to his/her shoulder when you cried that all what i means.

Umm I also think we won't get the conventional love line, but the title does mean something, it seems to me. I also don't think we need to mind the opinion of the trolls, there would be many who have these much time in hand to even badmouth actors so that they have their way for just a drama. Least we can do is not mind them and just enjoy the drama as it goes. 

• Like 8

@sadiesmith Sigh... we’ve been together on this ship ever before the drama started. I really don’t know what to believe anymore. I was happy yesterday and today I feel a bit sad again. My head says it’s okay what kind of relationship they have but I can’t deceive my heart. 

@LyraYoo Welcome, chingu! We meet again :D

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

New still cuts (Cr. tvN 수목드라마)

DaLsFWgU0AAfrdE.jpg

DaLsFWbUMAIJfvA.jpg

Spoiler

DaMBj2GVMAIxbXr.jpg

DaMBj2GVwAU9jyp.jpg

Love this pic. DH is smiling freely which is rare :) 

DaERbr5VQAAOhL4.jpg

If there won't be a loveline I will be really disappointed. Isn't everything has happened between DH and JA a perfect build up for a beautiful and special love? Everything is convincing and make as much sense as any drama that has an actual loveline, or dare I say even better... It's sad to think the writer might have changed such great script to please irrational trolls who don't even bother to watch the drama... I still have hope that we will have at least a subtle loveline. For now I'll ship them and enjoy their chemistry in each episode which is so super exciting to watch :wub:

• Like 16

All this talk about a love line between DH and JA being sinful and whatnot???!!

Has everybody forgotten how 'Goblin' (an international hit btw) showcased a love story between a high school student and a grown man??? What about the upcoming tvN drama 'Mr.Sunshine' where there is gonna be a love line between two characters that are 20 years apart???? 

Don't use AGE GAP as a reason why a romantic relationship cannot occur between them guys...it's too shallow and I'd like to think our viewers are matured! 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

@blademan yeah, I don't really get the fuss about this restriction imposed on relationships based on age gaps. If the story organically shows us that this won't happen, I am okay with that. That's the writer's choice. But here and there I am often reading about how this relationship just isn't meant to be. When it's not like this has been done for the first time. KES is doing it with Mr. Sunshine, then there have been noona romances like secret affair, pretty noona who buys me food which airs currently and then witch's romance. I bet their problem is with LSK who doesn't look conventionally handsome like his contemporaries lol. He did look pretty great on the Vlive, so people need to understand that real life doesn't work like that. Even in jdramas they don't hesitate to show unusual love stories, but sadly conservative Korean society wouldn't allow that I guess.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, aisling said:

I’d be OK with this solution if only the kiss (even forceful one) didn’t happen. That somehow changed the dynamics and it’s hard for me to look at them as brother/sister. If the writer wanted us to see them only in purely platonic relationship I don’t think she would include that forceful kiss. That’s my take.

When Jian answered that she kiss him just bcs she's unbearably bored and want to know what it feels like, I wonder if that's only an excuse (as we know she kiss him to create that scandalous photo) or is it true from the heart?  At the very least, I think Jian thinks of DH as the second most important (after granny) person in the world to her right now. Classic drama loveline won't happen this time, but at least they found consolation in each other's... Something they cannot even found in their family or closest friend.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Dramabeans recap for episode 6 describes this scene like this: Jung-hee correctly guesses that it’s because Ki-hoon is a failure, and she says that there’s a guy she also hopes will fail and come crying to her one day.

hmmmmm, so, someone may have let her go and married another? She hopes that marriage will fail, if she is talking about DH then she may get what she is wishing for :wink: or ....maybe not

Interesting……., it is the bad actress though who is now stalking KH, still crying about what happened long ago and is the one who is not letting go. She is happy because KH is a failure. However, if we are talking about DH and JH, they have very different personalities from KH and bad acting actress. I doubt DH will go crying to JH. DH is not Ki Hoon. KH is artistic, temperamental, emotional and dramatic. DH is nothing like the weirdo actress or KH. DH is stubbornly stoic, methodical, systematic, thinks numbers, angles and an engineer with a brain that is trained to work with precision. Even an invitation of a game with the Chairman was responded with a yes sir, no more, no less. JH seems to be a more pragmatic and smarter woman who is a business owner and knows the hard work exerted to maintain that business. So, I don’t think she will hope for DH to fail. Maybe in the past, she and DH were close friends and she had hoped for a deeper commitment but instead DH chose someone else to commit to. Now, she senses the unhappiness in DH and that he might not be as he was before and that was what she was referring to. It is just expression of a sentiment. I don’t think she is hoping for someone she cared about to fail but she might hope, for old times sake, to be able to help that person.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blademan said:

Has everybody forgotten how 'Goblin' (an international hit btw) showcased a love story between a high school student and a grown man??? What about the upcoming tvN drama 'Mr.Sunshine' where there is gonna be a love line between two characters that are 20 years apart???? 

Don't use AGE GAP as a reason why a romantic relationship cannot occur between them guys...it's too shallow and I'd like to think our viewers are matured! 

But you see Goblin is a hot and rich ajusshi so that's acceptable in shippers paradise even if the girl is an underage high school student *sarcasm*  I am not sure when the interview was conducted but I don't appreciate that this actor not belonging to the show keeps on talking about the script of My Ajusshi (until episode 10!!!) and giving out spoilers like candy. This is becoming a mess. Can TVN and PD Kim Won Suk put a tight lid about this project??? The actor (Kim Min Shik)  having loose lips is definitely ruining the whole fun part of watching the drama and trying to figure out the relationship of Jian & Dong Hoon.  We already know this drama is not a love story but a healing drama. Should TVN provide a PSA letterhead in every episode? It is really sad that Lee Sun Gyun is getting unnecessary hateful comments from immature people. I just hope  those hateful comments are not from IU fans because that would be so disappointing. 

At this point, I think the Jian and Dong Hoon story should go on a full blast romance just to screw with all the haters:lol: I was not keen on the romance angle before but now I desperately want one..  I can't wait for the writer and PD to create a plot twist on later episodes that will give a big FU to the hypocrites who are ruining a perfectly good show.. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

But you see Goblin is a hot and rich ajusshi so that's acceptable in shippers paradise even if the girl is an underage high school student *sarcasm*  I am not sure when the interview was conducted but I don't appreciate that this actor not belonging to the show keeps on talking about the script of My Ajusshi (until episode 10!!!) and giving out spoilers like candy. This is becoming a mess. Can TVN and PD Kim Won Suk put a tight lid about this project??? The actor (Kim Min Shik)  having loose lips is definitely ruining the whole fun part of watching the drama and trying to figure out the relationship of Jian & Dong Hoon.  We already know this drama is not a love story but a healing drama. Should TVN provide a PSA letterhead in every episode? It is really sad that Lee Sun Gyun is getting unnecessary hateful comments from immature people. I just hope  those hateful comments are not from IU fans because that would be so disappointing. 

At this point, I think the Jian and Dong Hoon story should go on a full blast romance just to screw with all the haters:lol: I was not keen on the romance angle before but now I desperately want one..  I can't wait for the writer and PD to create a plot twist on later episodes that will give a big FU to the hypocrites who are ruining a perfectly good show.. 

Agreed. If i have to hear "It is not a love story it is a human story" one more time.....:tongue:<_<. I delurked basically to say this. People should just allow the writers to tell their story and complain after watching it, not before. Personally, i appreciate this drama because it is different. I love romance dramas, but i am getting tired of the same old, same old. This drama is a breath of fresh air. So I am going to appreciate this drama for what it is. I think this drama is a lot like real life, ultimately we don't know how things will turn out most times, but just keep struggling along, despite what life throws at us. I think people who are trying to give this drama a "romance drama" label, is doing the drama a disservice.

Having said all of that, i would be fine with an ambiguous type of relationship between the two, one that involves some elements of love, like care, need, understanding, chemistry, connection, attraction..without it being so much as love. Something subtle, but undefined. If not, i hope at least, they both are in a better situation than they currently in at the moment.

• Like 15

Romance is not the cure all for an unhappy life.

Friendships can be very healing.  Actually a good friendship can be helpful for a marriage as it can release so some emotional pressure.

What is interesting is the misery at so many level of Korean (all really) society.

JiAh is the working poor, DongHoon is the middle class, but they are both so miserable.    

• Like 10

4 hours ago, aisling said:

@sadiesmith Sigh... we’ve been together on this ship ever before the drama started. I really don’t know what to believe anymore. I was happy yesterday and today I feel a bit sad again. My head says it’s okay what kind of relationship they have but I can’t deceive my heart. 

@LyraYoo Welcome, chingu! We meet again :D

Yes, big sigh... Exactly, I tell myself it's okay, they have a deep connection, but my heart... :(

3 hours ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

When Jian answered that she kiss him just bcs she's unbearably bored and want to know what it feels like, I wonder if that's only an excuse (as we know she kiss him to create that scandalous photo) or is it true from the heart?  At the very least, I think Jian thinks of DH as the second most important (after granny) person in the world to her right now. Classic drama loveline won't happen this time, but at least they found consolation in each other's... Something they cannot even found in their family or closest friend.

I want to believe that at that point, even if she had not grown to care for him the way she does now, she at least was already intrigued by him.  Remember how she always taunted him by asking if he thought he was attractive, or if he was afraid he would start to like her, etc.? You don't say things like that to people you don't have a certain attraction to, even if she didn't realize it yet.  And this writer is really trolling us.

3 hours ago, blademan said:

I know, and that's what's pissing me off.  TVN even uses Goblin to promote this drama.  And Goblin has a love story between a high school student and an ANCIENT man, not just a grown man in his 40s!!

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

I want to shout a loud AMEN to your post.  Yes, when they went on VLIVE to reassure viewers that this is not a romance story, blah blah blah, I was already ticked off.  Why prematurely ruin your own story?  Then this actor now?  Shaking head.  When Lee Sun Kyun was first cast, there was no big issue.  It was only after the news of IU potential casting that South Korea went crazy against the idea of age-gap romance.  I can't tell whether it's because Lee Sun Kyun is not hot enough of an actor for IU, or whether it was really her fans wanting to protect her innocent image, but I strongly believe it's the latter.  Had it been Kim Go Eun or Park So Dam instead of IU, I don't think there would have been so much opposition.  

I am just very sad that I can no longer go full in with my heart after all these spoilers.  I was even okay if ultimately there is no relationship, but I don't want to know that beforehand, I want the story to take me there.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, nearsea said:

@blademan yeah, I don't really get the fuss about this restriction imposed on relationships based on age gaps. If the story organically shows us that this won't happen, I am okay with that. That's the writer's choice. But here and there I am often reading about how this relationship just isn't meant to be. When it's not like this has been done for the first time. KES is doing it with Mr. Sunshine, then there have been noona romances like secret affair, pretty noona who buys me food which airs currently and then witch's romance. I bet their problem is with LSK who doesn't look conventionally handsome like his contemporaries lol. He did look pretty great on the Vlive, so people need to understand that real life doesn't work like that. Even in jdramas they don't hesitate to show unusual love stories, but sadly conservative Korean society wouldn't allow that I guess.

It's not LSK, it's people having problems with IU being paired up with him.  Wait... so it IS because LSK is not handsome enough?  Does anyone think if it had been Gong Yoo or So Ji Sub or Jo In Sung, then all this reaction from IU's fans wouldn't happen?  I feel so bad for LSK.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, mintea18 said:

New still cuts (Cr. tvN 수목드라마)

Reveal hidden contents

Love this pic. DH is smiling freely which is rare :) 

If there won't be a loveline I will be really disappointed. Isn't everything has happened between DH and JA a perfect build up for a beautiful and special love? Everything is convincing and make as much sense as any drama that has an actual loveline, or dare I say even better... It's sad to think the writer might have changed such great script to please irrational trolls who don't even bother to watch the drama... I still have hope that we will have at least a subtle loveline. For now I'll ship them and enjoy their chemistry in each episode which is so super exciting to watch :wub:

4 hours ago, nearsea said:

The hypocrisy regarding this issue is really astounding. If age gap is bothersome, then why not hate on all the dramas  like Mr. Sunshine, Goblin, and Pretty Noona who also have veteran actors starring with much younger partners . LSK is handsome and sexy as hell but all these immature haters are upset because it is not their usual kdrama oppas. I just hope the writers didn't change the story the way it was written just to appease all the haters and trolls. It is like allowing them to dictate the plot and controlling the overall creative process of the show.  If I am writer Park & PD KIm, I will just savagely write and add subtle romantic scenes between Jian and Dong Hoon in the upcoming episodes. I have one suggestion: please lock them in an enclosed space together like in a closet or something. Let's see how far that spark of electricity between IU and LSK will go and intentionally give all the haters a heart attack.  And I agree @mintea18 from now on I will ship hard for Jian and Dong Hoon just because I don't want to conform to this hypocrisy and immaturity .. 

To the amazing cast and crew,  fighting! you guys are doing a good job. Please tell the beautiful story of My Ajusshi the way it is suppose to be told and don't let the artistry be influenced and dictated by haters that don't even watch the show. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

It's not LSK, it's people having problems with IU being paired up with him.  Wait... so it IS because LSK is not handsome enough?  Does anyone think if it had been Gong Yoo or So Ji Sub or Jo In Sung, then all this reaction from IU's fans wouldn't happen?  I feel so bad for LSK.

Dear friend sorry but please dont generalize it as if all those 'negative reactions' are coming from IU's fans. There's a lot of haters pretending to be IU's fans and some immature fans who just new into IU world. It's not only LSK who got negative reactions, even IU too she got so many critics and negative comments from haters and some immature 'fans' in her Instagram even when the news is just about her considering the offer. It was also hard for us (true IU's fans) to deal with those immature people. The true IU's fans never did those stupid things like talking bad about LSK or compared him to another hot actor. We were proud and happy bcs IU finally able to work together with great actor like LSK and others senior actors and ofc with the great production team. Thank you. :)

• Like 17

54 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

The hypocrisy regarding this issue is really astounding. If age gap is bothersome, then why not hate on all the dramas  like Mr. Sunshine, Goblin, and Pretty Noona who also have veteran actors starring with much younger partners . LSK is handsome and sexy as hell but all these immature haters are upset because it is not their usual kdrama oppas. I just hope the writers didn't change the story the way it was written just to appease all the haters and trolls. It is like allowing them to dictate the plot and controlling the overall creative process of the show.  If I am writer Park & PD KIm, I will just savagely write and add subtle romantic scenes between Jian and Dong Hoon in the upcoming episodes. I have one suggestion: please lock them in an enclosed space together like in a closet or something. Let's see how far that spark of electricity between IU and LSK will go and intentionally give all the haters a heart attack.  And I agree @mintea18 from now on I will ship hard for Jian and Dong Hoon just because I don't want to conform to this hypocrisy and immaturity .. 

To the amazing cast and crew,  fighting! you guys are doing a good job. Please tell the beautiful story of My Ajusshi the way it is suppose to be told and don't let the artistry be influenced and dictated by haters that don't even watch the show. 

I can't just "like" your post.  Ugghh, I really do hope the writer and PD stay true to its original story but I highly doubt it.  So maddening.  And a resounding yes to your suggestion to add in subtle, tension-filled scenes, no skinship or kisses allowed, and see if no one would be left completely frustrated.  Remember that subway scene when he did all he could to not touch her?  That was brilliant.

• Like 9

i guess I prefer DH ended up with JH or not at all..... just be a happy (now successful) man.....

and JA can find her other half somewhere .... hopefully we got a glimpse, but then again, her dark past etc , she needs someone who can understand her and right now, only DH... but surely the more she opens herself.... she will find that there are a lot of good people too ...

now, what I really anticipate is the downfall of that annoying secretary of the CEO DJY..... the one with the glasses...

really want to smack his face ....

i can't wait how the writer will (hopefully) show he's being regretful and suffering or maybe can experience what he used to do to others to himself....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

LSG is such a respectable and professional actor in the industry. Despite the backlash, he still persevered and gave a fun working environment for IU and his other costars. I think this "romance and age issue"  is being brought up again because the stories of Jian and Dong Hoon are so beautifully written that k-drama communities openly voicing out their admiration. Also, positive comments are pouring in from all around the globe because of the undeniable chemistry between LSK and IU. The haters and small fraction of immature IU fans must be frustrated beyond their wits because all of them were rooting for this show to fail from the very beginning. 

I was disappointed about the spoilers being hinted because I also wanted to find out the story on my own and not through some over protective actor friend revealing it for me. I was about to drop watching My Ajusshi because I was so ticked off from this article. But heck now I am madly interested if the PD and writers have the guts to defy hypocrisy and they will just keep on teasing us with scenes between Jian and DH that are romantic- longing soulmate -kindred spirits- we belong together glances  under that big oversize moon with granny in the shopping cart. **Newsflash: Wait! I think the show already have these scenes*  Then,  please just TEASE us some more until the bitter end. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

9 hours ago, nearsea said:

I have mixed feelings about the age gap.  There were a bunch of them that I found nauseating. "The Prime Minister and I"  and "The Spring Day of My Life" (even that gawd awful name) come to mind.  And, yes "Goblin" really ticked me off, especially when he meets her reincarnated self as yet again a high school girl. (mega groan).   I think these shows bothered me because the age differences  were merely superficial elements to blatantly get young beautiful female flesh bumping into mature men.  An older woman could easily fit the plot elements.   

So, I am thinking that My Mister backlash may be coming from a kind of collective groan, a massive "we've had it with the middle age man crises and the young hot girl" that relies solely on prurient appeal.  It is degrading to have that stuff flung at you.  Especially when you are older. I think it may be fun fantasy for a high school girl and that is the audience that is being targeted.   So it is frustrating for devotees of kdramas who really know how good they can be.   

But even though I am in that collective backlash mode myself, I really love this story. Because the age difference actually means something.  There is a reason Ji An is 20, there is a reason PDH is facing a crises.  The attraction is actually transcending the physical - it has to do with our common humanity.   So whatever happens I am on board.  I just pray the writing stays on this same high level.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

I can't just "like" your post.  Ugghh, I really do hope the writer and PD stay true to its original story but I highly doubt it.  So maddening.  And a resounding yes to your suggestion to add in subtle, tension-filled scenes, no skinship or kisses allowed, and see if no one would be left completely frustrated.  Remember that subway scene when he did all he could to not touch her?  That was brilliant.

@sadiesmith I apologized in advance for quoting your post again. I definitely agree that the relationship of DH and JA should be undefined from this point forward. They don't need to touch or skinship because their conversations alone and secret glances are enough to swoon the audience in a heart fluttering experience. And that subway scene was a perfect example of the maddening, tension filled attraction without even touching. It will be frustrating but I am ok with it all the way.

• Like 7