[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Imagine, this song apply to romance ending in my mind:)

Of course i'm so in IU now:)

What else to cure the pain?

Sweet love song sung by IU is the best medication.

Some soompier talk about put a foot in to mouth:) 

Found out not a foot but a palm:D

What that mean:)

IMG_20180520_190750.jpg

• Like 3

Ddo-DDpVAAANnZH.jpg

This is yet a different video of the wrap-up party. Can't get over how cute LSK and IU are.  He is the sunbae who takes care, and she is all shy and humble.  And LSK is so super huggy, always going to whoever happens to be nearest him. :wub:

• Like 11

@Joseph Lim  

Wow, Last Night Story is a revival song ? from the 80s?

Just imagine, if Ji An came back to Seoul looking like this??  :tongue:

huh_hhaaha.png

Let's see if DH can handle the shock... whahhaha

It's gonna be more than a handshake for sure.

big-smile2-smiley.gif

• LOL 11

I'm pretty sure this was posted a few days ago, but hope you don't mind me posting this again ^^~ IU performing the OST at the Holgaboon Festival on May 19th:

And for any IU fans, here's the full fancam of all the songs she performed (1 hour and 27 minutes long lol):

Spoiler

• Like 8

8 hours ago, popai5 said:

I just can't let this go! More thoughts:

Wish list:

1. I wish DH gave JA some socks at some point!

2. I wish DH told JA, 'see you soon' at the end.

3. I wish DH wore his slippers at the new office.

4. I wish it was clear that DH divorced YH.

5. I wish we got another hug at the end. But DH actually initiated the holding of hands (even though it was only a handshake). A gigantic breakthrough!

This is my 'Healing Drama Report Card'  H = healed

SH - he reconciled with his wife. Got his Hong Kong film scene. He is not drinking daily at Jung Hee's bar. His selfless act at the funeral for JA's grandma.   H+

KH - he started writing again. YR is acting and is a star and he smiled at her film! YR still visits  JH's bar.    H-

YR - She is a star. She still visits the bar looking for KH.   H

JH - She had her talk with the monk.   H

GI/KI - He helped save JA in the end.   H

YH - She left for (us) US. She helped JA stay out of jail. She is letting DH decide what he wants to do.    H

DH - He didn't die! He didn't adopt JA! He had the courage to start his own business. He got to see JA again! (He opened his new company where he could see JA again. More on that later)   H+

JA - She didn't die! She didn't get adopted! She is nice to her coworkers, has friends, and is dressed in bright clothes that fit. She has new shoes (no socks) and she can still see DH!

H+++

My Ahjussi/My Mister - H+++++++++++++++++ (16 + for each ep +1 for extra ep/series/film)

Got to say that when the package from KI arrived and the workers looked cautiously at it I had to laugh. The first package got DH and JA together and that final package helped to heal KI, helped save JA from jail and freed DH from worry.

I'm really glad that JA had a chance to grow away from DH. She was allowed to gather knowledge without DH's guidance and grow stronger without his presence. She was recognized for her good work. She has friendly co-workers that she is friendly with in return. She had a chance to be 'normal'.

I'm also glad that DH left Saman. He had the strength to go out on his own and succeed. He has his close co-workers. He doesn't seem like he goes daily to JH's bar. He is happy!

Most open endings you don't really know what will happen next. You hope for certain progressions but you can't be sure. But we know JA. It is only a year. Her feelings haven't changed. We know she will follow through and call DH and she will buy DH that delicious meal. They will meet again. It wasn't a bye forever and them walking away. I think DH knew that JA's company has an office in Seoul and that one day JA will be transferred. So he opened his company nearby thinking that he would run into her one day. Looks like she walked to the coffee shop. He walked to the coffee shop (that coffee prince). So, their offices must be close by right?! The coffee shop will be their meeting place. Their own JH's bar. They will meet often!

I'm sure you guys all had similar comments but I just had to unload my thoughts. Thanks!

Oh, one last comment for now. Of course there was no kiss at the end. With that facial hair DH had going he couldn't kiss JA. Although I'm sure JA wouldn't have minded.

@popai5  This reader's wish list is much simpler:

Ji-an:  I want to buy you something delicious, Ajusshi……  I'll call you.

Engineer Dong Hoon should say:  DON'T FORGET

the telepathy:  engineer dong hoon:  were you able to find some comfort for yourself ji-an?

Ji-an telepathy answer: yes.  yes.   Should add: thanks for being you, Ajusshi.

and engineer should answer:  thanks for being you, ji-an.

With just those few words added above, this reader would be completely at ease.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@sadiesmith said that she will tell her friends to not watch episodes 1 and 2 because they are too depressing, and just  jump to episode 3.

this reader on the other hand, appreciates the first  3 episodes very much.  The gritty grim lives of these individuals and the thriller of the bribery entrapments are great.  It shows in horrifying detail the hardships and brutality that Ji-an endured, and her resiliency and resourcefulness in dealing with the loan sharks.  Her desperate situation with grand-ma was truly touching. 

It also shows plainly the vulnerability of the seemingly perfect engineer, as he coped with unexpected temptations (money and woman)….  These episodes show that the STRONGEST of THE PAIR is actually Ji-an, even though she is  inferior to Ajusshi in every way (status, education, wealth).  In these episodes the audience change back and forth between hating her and admiring her and pitying her...all at the same time!  For ajusshi, the audience feels sympathy for his plight, and pitying him for all  the dark web behind his back which he did not even know as yet.... a puppet on chain.

@mujay My Mister flows almost like a well made  modern Saeguk drama where the heroine and hero have to endure endless chicanery and deviousness on part of those who hate and envy them.... in order to reach a tomorrow.... a modern Dae Jang Geum 대장금  

@sadiesmith @popai5 Remember shippers, there was zero skinship in that timeless tale!...so when the child was born, a Korean white stork must have delivered it!!!  hahaha.

this reader also has introduced My Ajusshi to some of his coworkers.... will see how they like this tale!

• Like 10

I've been listening to a bunch of IU music lately to cope, especially the ones with lyrics that remind me of My Ahjussi.

Her song Heart is the perfect representation of Jian's feelings for DH

And Knees (one of my personal favorites) was written about IU's own grandmother, and I think they capture JA's sadness pretty well. The subtitles on this video aren't the best, but they get the message across.

There were a few comments on Naver saying that they were reminded of Every End of the Day. Personally, I think JA is much too straightforward about her feelings and the song is too bubbly to suit her, but it's a cute song.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Did IU ever release her cover of that Adult OST from this drama?

Not for Adult / Grown Ups. 

She actually did her own OST but she decided to include it in her upcoming album. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, berny said:

@Joseph Lim  

Wow, Last Night Story is a revival song ? from the 80s?

Just imagine, if Ji An came back to Seoul looking like this??  :tongue:

huh_hhaaha.png

Let's see if DH can handle the shock... whahhaha

It's gonna be more than a handshake for sure.

big-smile2-smiley.gif

Yes this Last Night Story is from her Flower Bookmark 2 album (remake album) too.

5 hours ago, mujay said:

Imagine, this song apply to romance ending in my mind:)

Of course i'm so in IU now:)

What else to cure the pain?

Sweet love song sung by IU is the best medication.

Some soompier talk about put a foot in to mouth:) 

Found out not a foot but a palm:D

What that mean:)

IMG_20180520_190750.jpg

Everyday With You and Meaning of You are IU goto wedding songs she sing every time she was invited to a wedding.

Meaning of You

FYI, these are remake songs too:glasses:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

Did IU ever release her cover of that Adult OST from this drama?

You are asking if she officially release her cover of Adult OST on music site?

No, don't think she can do that either since she do not own the copyright to that song.

The best we can get are fan cams of her live performance to that song as posted here.

• Like 3

Cast and crew watching the last episode end credits and bts pics at the wrapup party.

LSK and Director Park practicing girl group dance moves for their previous drama, This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair. Too funny!

• Like 7
  • LOL 6

3 hours ago, rellea said:

And Knees (one of my personal favorites) was written about IU's own grandmother, and I think they capture JA's sadness pretty well. The subtitles on this video aren't the best, but they get the message across.

Thanks for sharing. That is a beautiful song!!! She is such a talented songwriter.

My heart is still full of feels. Writing helps. But then I listen to one of @Kimchi Sweet Potato's fan MVs and I'm falling, falling again...

• Like 11

11 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

11 hours ago, nearsea said:

That's some makjang level observation there. Thank you our resident sherlock! I think we need to see the show in terms of the signs again. 

I think the director is a shipper too! How clever of him to plant all these details! 

*I am wondering did the writer insert all these metaphors while writing? If that's the case, I mean just wow. She really deserves all the credit for this drama. I can see that the drama relied a lot on visuals, graphics, and words to show us what's the writer thinking.

Of course the director is a shipper, too.  100%.

I also wonder whether it's the director or writer who thinks of visual details for a show.  What about tags for dialogues?  Does a screen writer insert the appropriate tag for specific scene?  Or is it the job of the director?

Yes, especially for dramas like this where every detail is so important.

The best scripts I've read are like novels. They use just one short line or phrase that guide the character's expression and actions.

Secret Love Affair was full of these lines. Here's one of my favourite:

Seon Jae’s and Hye Won’s hands are screaming, “we have to get out of here”

If we can see the script (I'm trying to find a copy!) the author's intention will be crystal clear, e.g.

"Funeral Bus. Dong Hoon's eyes never leave her. How will she go on?"

"Her hand is softer and smaller than he expected. Suddenly, he wants to hold on to it forever."

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@mujay My Mister flows almost like a well made  modern Saeguk drama where the heroine and hero have to endure endless chicanery and deviousness on part of those who hate and envy them.... in order to reach a tomorrow.... a modern Dae Jang Geum 대장금  

@sadiesmith @popai5 Remember shippers, there was zero skinship in that timeless tale!...so when the child was born, a Korean white stork must have delivered it!!!  hahaha.

@tiger457_stv Sunbae-nim! You never let us down, do you? Thanks for bringing up Dae Jang Geum. That was one of the best love stories I've witnessed, to date, and it was also a kissless drama. Despite their obvious mutual attraction, they had so much restraint. Amazing. The highest skinship we got there was a hug, and yet their longing for each other, their chemistry, almost tore the screen apart. Just like our MA couple!

Spoiler

EkqCToW.jpg

• Like 10

Sorry guys, I don’t know how to respond to multiple quotes. Bear with me…

“This reader says:  Don't need a new addiction....got My Mister!

Since you feel lost, we can play a game:  how many times did Ji-an apologize for anything in this tale? and what that could mean?”

@tiger457_stvIt would be fun to re-watch, and count but I’m not quite ready yet.

I feel the same as @sadiesmith It made me sadder somehow.

“I can't even watch anything else at the moment. I feel like I'll just be disappointed.”

@justamom I know the feeling. I am a bit half-hearted with the new premieres this week. I found myself criticizing the characters of the new dramas.

“My heart is still full of feels. Writing helps. But then I listen to one of @Kimchi Sweet Potato's fan MVs and I'm falling, falling again...”

@justamom Is it bad to admit that I have not watched my own MVs in the last 2 days cause I’m scared of falling again? I miss this show so much. Will stalk writer Park Hae Young’s Wiki page. Eagerly awaiting her next drama.

“I’m lost too!!!!

but I'll admit, I'm glad to have my life back!! This drama had consumed my everything!!

I can now prepare for a CAT next week and start thinking about my Master's dissertation... (maybe I can include this drama in my paper.:))

I'm currently rewatching My Spring Days because the current dramas might insult my intelligence”

@africandramalover Good luck with your CAT and Master’s dissertation. Maybe I should catch up on my reading as well. How to balance?

“I started rewatching, one episode a day.

I had forgotten how downright unpleasant Ji An is in the first few episodes. A nasty piece of work, she is.”

@Sakari Hahaha, she was. I remember disliking her immensely in episode one.

@mushroomsoupie wow, what an interesting observation. I am amazed by the attention to detail.

• Like 5

Annyeong, everyone!  Today is the first Wednesday that we won’t be looking forward to a new episode. However, though we no longer have the excitement of a new chapter in the story of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An, I think we shouldn’t feel bad.  The beauty and complexity of the story we were given is such that we can re-watch it and discover something new or savor it all over again.

I’ve finally completed the whole series (ha! I delayed my gratification to prolong the feeling though I already spoiled myself beforehand :)) and I realize that My Ahjussi has more in common with classic literary novels and great films than modern-day television dramas because of the way it was written.  Not to be demeaning or offensive but this drama isn’t for the viewer who doesn’t want to exert any effort to think and analyze and ruminate on the scenes and dialogues and all the nuances of the story.  You can’t get into this if all you want is something to watch while de-stressing at the end of the day, when all you need is some form of background noise while your brain winds down.  MA requires your full attention and emotional investment, otherwise you’ll miss its context and beauty and you’ll be left with nothing more than what seems to be on the surface: a forty-five year old man sharing an intensely emotional relationship with a twenty-one year old woman.  And it will sound off and feel icky to you.  I can liken it to the controversial Ang Lee film “Lust, Caution”.  Incidentally, this also involved a significant age gap between the leads but their interactions were also highly charged. On the surface, it would seem that the film was just all graphic violence and sex.  But if you go deeper and read between the lines, watching the faces of the characters, listening to their tone and not the words that they say, then taking everything into context, it’s actually a heartbreakingly beautiful but tragic love story. Like MA, it wasn’t romantic either, but if you watch closely, you’ll see the pain of two people finding love with each other in the worst circumstances and knowing in the end that it can never be because of who they are and what they stand for. ( Though I hope Dong Hoon and Ji An will be, because given what they had and clearly still have, I can’t imagine them being with anyone else and not being in deep pain about it.)

My Ahjussi is the kind of story that’s meant to be experienced when you see it the first time, then revisited and savored again.  I use the word “experience” because to me, that’s what it was.  An experience that I lived through with Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An and all the other characters in the drama. I felt how overwhelmed Ji An was with everything that Park Dong Hoon made her feel in the midst of her anger and darkness and bitterness, and when I looked at her looking at him with such pain and longing and love, and practically laying her heart and dignity and life on the line for him, my own heart broke with her.  I felt Dong Hoon’s depression and frustration over his inability to break out of the bondage of his duties to family, community and work, his conflict and repressed anger at the situation and himself because his sense of duty keeps him there, to the point that he’s sacrificed his own self and became an empty shell of a man. And I felt his pain at being unable to respond to Ji An’s affections because of his situation, despite feeling so much for her, forcing himself to keep her away even as he knows he’s causing her so much pain.

Even the other characters resonated with me in one way or the other.  I wept with Jung Hee over her anger and frustration at being unable to rid herself of the love and resentment that she still feels for Sang Won after all these years, even as she wanted so much to move on.  I felt Sang Hoon’s shame at his failure in being the head of their family even as he masks it with his levity.  I felt Ki Hoon’s frustration at being in a creative rut and running away from his failures by looking at Yu-ra as a scapegoat.  I even felt sorry for Yoon Hee and sympathized with her reasons, though I could never condone her infidelity.  And so on.

This drama, through its sensitive but realistic storytelling, has taken the mundane lives of ordinary people and transformed them into a thing of beauty.  And through the story of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An, it has shown us how redemptive and transformative a real and selfless love can be. 

That’s all I can say for now...because there’s too

much I want to share and my head is fit to bursting with all these thoughts! Aish. :wacko:

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4