[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

52 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Thank you so much! I have watched the last episode properly only now. So the last scene was quite puzzling for me. At least this one is solved, thanks to tvn's subtitle. Cause the one that's available on other sites[ dramafever's] is totally messed up. They made it look like dong hoon sent yoon hee to the US so she could learn English? :|

Even if I consider tvn's subtitle, why would he still talk to a friend about the wife, if they have separated? Could it be that he didn't want to talk about the seperation to people until it is all sorted out?

Also, I am eating my own words, but that photo of yoon hee with the kid, has me got all confused. That's like a happy picture. Is that how separated couples keep their photos on their desk? 

I am pretty mad at the writer/  dong hoon for not ever telling ji an how he felt about her, but one thing is pretty sure till the end. She loved him. That last meal they are having together, she says it's quite pathetic that I used to take rounds around the neighborhood just hoping that I could get one glimpse of you. So seeing how you are saying you are gonna be happy without me, I can't deal with that. That's an outright confession there. And he listened to her and smiled. [He looked quite upset once he got to know that she was leaving, but he didn't say anything.] 

Anyway I am sorry for changing my words but from the recaps what I thought would be the case, it didn't appear that way onscreen. Although once yoon hee left and like the way dong hoon gave the information to omma that she would be staying there for a while, it just seemed that he can sense the separation was coming. But then the dialogue with the colleague happened, and it is making me question my own deduction lol. 

My only consolation would be ji an still loving him and looking at him the same way like she used to before. Even the voiceover, my pessimistic self is thinking whether that dialogue is just the two souls speaking to themselves in their mind.

Honestly, I do think the writer caved in and didn't give us the ending she originally intended to happen. Cause the way ji an has been looking at him all through ep 16 and like she said, ajussi hasn't come here once since I have been staying here, it speaks a volume about her feelings. But dong hoon kept telling her that he would be happy, and like she says she's hurt that he can be happy without her. 

Anyway separated or not, he looked back at ji an when they were leaving, and that look does say something. It's just upsetting that we didn't get to know what he thought about her. At this point, I even find his promise to ji an about being happy a fake promise tbh, because is he really happy? Why does he make that sad face when he looked back at her for the last time if he's actually happy like he promised he would be. 

Watching the final episode I came to the conclusion that both dong hoon and his monk friend are same in this way that they never acknowledged properly the women who loved them. Even when the monk comes to visit jung hee, when she asks him if he ever felt guilty because of leaving her, he just gives her this blank smile. I thought he was being quite cruel, by thinking that it's okay to leave this life, the girl who needed him, he didn't give a proper closure to her feelings for him. Likewise, dong hoon always knew how ji an felt about him, but all he did was taking her words in silently but never giving back anything verbally. Their interaction at the end is giving me the feeling of two people meeting at a stop and then after their having their rendezvous for a short period, going back to their own lives. The ending didn't feel like the main course, it felt like an appetizer lol. Sorry fellow shippers for ruining your mood. :(

To me, from TVN's subs (and from what ower translators said), that conversation was about the son. YH appears there as the mother. It is normal that when parents (divorced or not) are talking about their children, they will make references to the other parent. I don't see any indication that they are together, because YH's reference is only secondary to the conversation.

What is the purpose for that conversation? To me, to do the up date about DH's personal life. Could it be done differently? It could, but the whole thing about this show related to DH's character (since the first episode) is: they don't show it straightforward, they show it in an indirect, hidden, implicit way, through nuances and half words. In this sense, the drama remained consistent.

To me, that random guy represents "the Viewers". Writer is telling to us that YH is living abroad, time has passed, she changed status from "my wife" to "JS'smother". 

If we get it this way: they are definitively separated, we can appreciate better what comes after that. 

What I see then is a DH "out of character" because he isn't passive anymore, he takes action to show interest and to make physical contact: he invites her, he asks to shook hands and keeps it until she makes the moviment to drop the hand, he stares at her with emotion, he simply can't contain his bliss/happiness when she makes a promisse to buy him food. To me that sad face is in fact only a half sad face, due to the fact that he can't prolong their time together there. 

I will share a personal experience about sad face: when I first met my husband, after some time, we exchange our telefone numbers and I said "have to go". He said ok and made a sad face: I read that as if he was sad because I had to go and he was really enjoying my company and would like to prolong it. His sad face made my heart flutter :).

I really thing the whole scene was well played and directed: we can see many emotions at play - shyness, insecurity, awkwardness, happiness, sadness, fondness, longing, determination, hope. And, to close it, a foreshadowing from one of their dates.

After a first impression full of conflict, I'm really in peace with this ending now. I'm sure they will be happy together.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

To me, from TVN's subs (and from what ower translators said), that conversation was about the son. YH appears there as the mother. It is normal that when parents (divorced or not) are talking about their children, they will make references to the other parent. I don't see any indication that they are together, because YH's reference is only secondary to the conversation.

What is the purpose for that conversation? To me, to do the up date about DH's personal life. Could it be done differently? It could, but the whole thing about this show related to DH's character (since the first episode) is: they don't show it straightforward, they show it in an indirect, hidden, implicit way, through nuances and half words. In this sense, the drama remained consistent.

To me, that random guy represents "the Viewers". Writer is telling to us that YH is living abroad, time has passed, she changed status from "my wife" to "JS'smother". 

If we get it this way: they are definitively separated, we can appreciate better what comes after that. 

What I see then is a DH "out of character" because he isn't passive anymore, he takes action to show interest and to make physical contact: he invites her, he asks to shook hands and keeps it until she makes the moviment to drop the hand, he stares at her with emotion, he simply can't contain his bliss/happiness when she makes a promisse to buy him food. To me that sad face is in fact only a half sad face, due to the fact that he can't prolong their time together there. 

I will share a personal experience about sad face: when I first met my husband, after some time, we exchange our telefone numbers and I said "have to go". He said ok and made a sad face: I read that as if he was sad because I had to go and he was really enjoying my company and would like to prolong it. His sad face made my heart flutter :).

I really thing the whole scene was well played and directed: we can see many emotions at play - shyness, insecurity, awkwardness, happiness, sadness, fondness, longing, determination, hope. And, to close it, a foreshadowing from one of their dates.

After a first impression full of conflict, I'm really in peace with this ending now. I'm sure they will be happy together.  

Haha thank you! I love that small personal story you added. Yeah, it does make more sense that he's sad that she's leaving. But then she said she will call him, and then in the voice-over he's asking if she reached that comfort level.  We do have reasons to be happy about. 

I guess the ending has made me conflicted over so many things. But I guess I will see the last 15 minutes several times more to absorb the full meaning. The writer sure likes to keep the mystery intact, doesn't she? :/

Btw, I also think at least one and half year have passed. The time goes from summer to winter to summer again, so it should be at least 1 and half year. Although I guess as soon they met each other the better. 

I'm also glad that the colleagues from his old company have joined him here too. So this seems like a promise of a new beginning. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, berny said:

Woah! that tvN version of the conversation is TOTALY DIFFERENT...  the other sites have obviously misinterpreted the entire convo... is that 'intentional' in their part? or was it a rush work since they are subbing many other dramas.. or theyre just not that an expert in the korean language?

I think the tvN version is fine. I think it's probably the most accurate, they probably have direct access to the script.

I think it was my mistake to say that DH was talking about his WIFE who wanted to stay in the U.S. - to be fair, it was not that easy to hear, because the conversation was still sort of in the background, and not really the focus of the scene.

Anyway, that actually changes things - DH sounded awfully familiar with and seemed to have some say in *whoever* was staying the U.S. If it is Ji-Seok, that actually makes more sense. I think this makes it even more likely that Yoon-Hee is not in the picture, except as a co-parent.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I dont know about others, but for me LSK is a very very good looking man. Fit body. In real life yes he is very handsome bout as park dong hoon, he is a very macho handsome older guy that i would be crushing on. I would be so giddy to go to work if he is in my company. 

That deep voice, oh boy i miss that voice so much.  Sob

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

I read on Dramabeans that even people on DC Forum (Korean site) were debating the marriage status.  I guess even when you speak the language, everything is still very nuanced and you have to really pay attention to fully uncover the mystery.

15 minutes ago, misskym86 said:

I dont know about others, but for me LSK is a very very good looking man. Fit body. In real life yes he is very handsome bout as park dong hoon, he is a very macho handsome older guy that i would be crushing on. I would be so giddy to go to work if he is in my company. 

That deep voice, oh boy i miss that voice so much.  Sob

Yes, to the bolded.  I think by showing his athleticism (soccer) and fist power, more than just a handful viewers have been brought in hook, line, and sinker.  Add to that the unique, low voice and his down-to-earthness, and you can't help but root for him.  LSK made this character completely accessible.

I am feeling a very real sense of melancholy/depression now that the reality of the show's completion has finally sunk in.   

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I read on Dramabeans that even people on DC Forum (Korean site) were debating the marriage status.  I guess even when you speak the language, everything is still very nuanced and you have to really pay attention to fully uncover the mystery.

Lol I'm looking at DB comments right now, and one comment was interesting, where a poster said that on DCinside, most viewers were supporting nonromantic relationship, but then the comment below says actually the supports on both sides were pretty balanced [romantic/nonromantic]. :D It is interesting to know that even Korean audience supports the idea of ji an - dong hoon's romance haha. Also some other comments from DB have been educational for me, and I think I got a clear idea that dong hoon and yoon hee are definitely separated. And like you guys have been saying, that conversation is about the kid indeed. DF should be fined for misinterpreting such an important conversation. Is the subber a nonshipper? Lol, although I have noticed that the subs from DF have always been kind of generic.

--

Also I was a bit mad at dong hoon first for not confessing. But if their new journey together is all about rekindling their relationship, in a new sense, I would be happy about it. I guess since dong hoon is an introvert, it would take him a long time to confess to ji an so he can take his sweet time. For him it's a slow journey from friendship to romance so if he ever going to fall for someone it will not happen overnight. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, anipanch said:

Since there are still discussions going on about the love line planned vs how they gave it to us, I'd also like to share my pov, since I've come to certain conclusion while reading your thoughts and also looking at the drama from a new angle after its completion.

First and foremost, I am a hardcore shipper. When it comes to shipping I'm "go big or go home" and become obsessed in every sense of it. However, at the same, I don't like losing all sense and I'm pretty thankful that my wild imagination gives me the ability of imagining thousands of scenarios involving my favorite couples XD Oh and of course FANFICTIONS - god what I would do without them? Some are even better than the canons with unbelievable writing. I'm forever thankful to the writers of fanfiction and giving me chance to discover my favorite characters in wonderful situations.

That aside, was the love line enough in MA? Should the production team risked and gone against the netizens? Did they actually restrain and change the original script? My answer is no, not at all. In the end, the writer's intention wasn't to show a "love story" in its traditional sense, the one we're so used to. The show's aim was to show us beautiful human interactions and how cherishing each and every interpersonal relationship makes this life more bearable. How much kindness and understanding can change someone's life and that its important to find the inner strength inside us. If they went for an actual full-blown romance, with kisses, handholding and other romantic gestures can you actually imagine what could have happened? Especially when we have LSK and IU whose chemistry still managed to overshadow everything despite being subtle and ambiguous in every possible aspect. They would've totally stolen the show and we wouldn't really care for other things that MA conveyed. It would've become shallow. A clear love line wouldn't have made us want more, wouldn't make us think about every little detail like we did. The real meaning might as well be lost to us if not for the masterful detailing and subtlety. What we got of DonGan fitted the writing style of the whole show in general.

P.S. I'm still salty we didn't get a little tiny kiss in the end. It would've been perfect

Thank you and very well put. Sometimes I don't really know if  half of my annoyance to the lack of skinship was because I was so smitten by LJE and LSG chemistry or because of DH and Jian. Looking back, I think it is still toss up in my opinion. I agree that the point of this story was not a romance per se but to show a human interaction and healing first. I was just bummed that they didn't show more of the love story-_- instead. However, I could understand the writer's POV that two broken people cannot start a  healthy relationship if they don't heal first on their own so the writing needs to prioritize that more than anything. 

I agree with you. The LJE and LSG onscreen chemistry was partly eclipsing the whole show that we forgot LJA sometimes as the wife:lol:. I could stare at those two leads forever just walking around and not doing anything. They were just that beautiful together:wub:. If  the show would've casted another actress that had no chemistry with LSG then likely all these shenanigans between a shipper vs a non-shipper opinions would not likely exist. I could speculate that the production itself was surprised by LJE and LSG's  palpable chemistry not until they started filming. I think they explored the true potential of that chemistry more than any other OTP, I mean we have 90% (up to episode 14) that were in my opinion just intensely romantic between DH and Jian.

The subtlety of the love line I was ok with because if anything the show didn't budge on their tone. Although, I admit that at one point I was frustrated by the lack of clear delineation of DH's feelings. I initially hated episode 15, my real time reactions  from that episode were not favorable.  However, I rewatched episode 15 again and those scenes with Jian were a confession from DH. May I also add that episode 15 was also a hallmark that the love triangle was clearly brought up the surface with YH-DH-Jian sharing the same screen together. JYD is right when he said, you people surely have interesting lives (effin jerk:lol:). Again, not our typical k-drama love triangle where both women fighting over the affection of a man, with wrist grabbing etc.. But it was clearly indicated that YH and Jian respected each other in some ways and were trying to figure out their feelings and their next decisions. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Lol I'm looking at DB comments right now, and one comment was interesting, where a poster said that on DCinside, most viewers were supporting nonromantic relationship, but then the comment below says actually the supports on both sides were pretty balanced [romantic/nonromantic]. :D It is interesting to know that even Korean audience supports the idea of ji an - dong hoon's romance haha. Also some other comments from DB have been educational for me, and I think I got a clear idea that dong hoon and yoon hee are definitely separated. And like you guys have been saying, that conversation is about the kid indeed. DF should be fined for misinterpreting such an important conversation. Is the subber a nonshipper? Lol, although I have noticed that the subs from DF have always been kind of generic.

I think in the beginning most Korean viewers were against a romantic angle, but just like more and more international viewers moved to the other side, the same thing also happened to the Korean audience.  It was slow, but it was happening.  See, the director and writer really should have just stuck to their vision completely.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, oregonahjussi said:

One thing seldom mentioned is how deeply Jian was emotionally connected to DH through the phone bug.  She was like a pocket lover with him intimately sharing every moment of his day and night if she so desired.  She could listen to him brushing his teeth, undressing for bed, sighing, yawning, sleeping, or waking up in the morning.  This level of intimacy put her on an emotional plain DH could just not feel.  JA’s emotions were focused on DH exclusively while much of DH’s emotions were based upon a reaction to his personal loneliness.

The drama casually stepped over the deep emotional angst JA must have felt when she moved to Busan and was totally cut off from him.  No listening, no phone calls.  Only those of us who have suffered great loss can understand the hollow of her pain.  Still she managed to persevere and overcome it all.

I’m posting this link to a song that my daughter wrote as a tribute to Jian’s hopefulness that overrode despair during the long dark night of her soul as she slowly healed from the loss of her connection to DH.  Whether her wish came true we will never know.  It’s a safe YouTube video and I’ll just pretend it’s a FanTrack OST. 

If anyone likes it and wants to translate the lyrics to Korean that would be great.

@oregonahjussi  Hello. :)

That’s why I think the time skip was necessary in this case.  Both Dong Hoon and Ji An most moreso Ji An needed time and space away from each other so they can really see if what they feel for each other is real love or just the by-product of their shared loneliness and pain.  And in the case of Ji An, mere hero worship for the first person who ever cared about her as a human being.  She was so focused on him, almost obssessively so, that it came to a point that not hearing him over her phone makes her panic (episode 9, when she missed her stop and was quite frantically looking for him).  Dong Hoon, on the other hand, never had the advantage of listening in on Ji An’s every waking moment.

At least when they met again, they can meet each other on equal footing and in more normal circumstances.  They will be in a better position to gauge their true feelings. 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, anipanch said:

Since there are still discussions going on about the love line planned vs how they gave it to us, I'd also like to share my pov, since I've come to certain conclusion while reading your thoughts and also looking at the drama from a new angle after its completion.

That aside, was the love line enough in MA? Should the production team risked and gone against the netizens? Did they actually restrain and change the original script? My answer is no, not at all. In the end, the writer's intention wasn't to show a "love story" in its traditional sense, the one we're so used to. The show's aim was to show us beautiful human interactions and how cherishing each and every interpersonal relationship makes this life more bearable. How much kindness and understanding can change someone's life and that its important to find the inner strength inside us. If they went for an actual full-blown romance, with kisses, handholding and other romantic gestures can you actually imagine what could have happened? Especially when we have LSK and IU whose chemistry still managed to overshadow everything despite being subtle and ambiguous in every possible aspect. They would've totally stolen the show and we wouldn't really care for other things that MA conveyed. It would've become shallow. A clear love line wouldn't have made us want more, wouldn't make us think about every little detail like we did. The real meaning might as well be lost to us if not for the masterful detailing and subtlety. What we got of DonGan fitted the writing style of the whole show in general.

Another thought on what you shared here @anipanch: I also need to concede to your point that an open show of affection might not ONLY stolen the show, but may actually backfire.  I haven't watched Pretty Noona, and I don't deliberately follow recaps or anything, but so many times I have come across comments complaining about the excessive skinship, even if the leads do have strong chemistry.  Viewers of MA could have potentially been turned off by any skinship too early on, especially if they had not been pulled in by the amazing love story. So yeah, in the end, the controversy was a blessing in disguise.  

• Like 8

7 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

@fauna Yeah, he high-fived Boa... but he didn't hug her! Let us have our breadcrumbs, will ya?! I can't get over how good these two look together. That blowing-candles-together video melted me. I'll just imagine that's DH and JA too, like @ccl82:rolleyes:

Haha, sorry, I didn't mean to burst your bubble. They do look very good together, and he is a very friendly person in general. I'm sure they got close during filming. He even sent a food truck to his former co-actors, Kim Go Eun (The Advocate) and Gong Yoo (Coffee Prince), in support of Goblin back in the day.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Thank you and very well put. Sometimes I don't really know if  half of my annoyance to the lack of skinship was because I was so smitten by LJE and LSG chemistry or because of DH and Jian. Looking back, I think it is still toss up in my opinion. I agree that the point of this story was not a romance per say but to show a human interaction and healing first. I was just bummed that they didn't show more of the love story-_- instead. However, I could understand the writer's POV that two broken people cannot start a  healthy relationship if they don't heal first on their own so the writing needs to prioritize that more than anything. 

I agree with you. The LJE and LSG onscreen chemistry was partly eclipsing the whole show that we forgot LJA sometimes as the wife:lol:. I could stare at those two leads forever just walking around and not doing anything. They were just that beautiful together:wub:. If  the show would've casted another actress that had no chemistry with LSG then likely all these shenanigans between a shipper vs a non-shipper opinions would not likely exist. I could speculate that the production itself was surprised by LJE and LSG's  palpable chemistry not until they started filming. I think they explored the true potential of that chemistry more than any other OTP, I mean we have 90% (up to episode 14) that were in my opinion just intensely romantic between DH and Jian.

The subtlety of the love line I was ok with because if anything the show didn't budge on their tone. Although, I admit that at one point I was frustrated by the lack of clear delineation of DH's feelings. I initially hated episode 15, my real time reactions  from that episode were not favorable.  However, I rewatched episode 15 again and those scenes with Jian were a confession from DH. May I also add that episode 15 was also a hallmark that the love triangle was clearly brought up the surface with YH-DH-Jian sharing the same screen together. JYD is right when he said, you people surely have interesting lives (effin jerk:lol:). Again, not our typical k-drama love triangle where both women fighting over the affection of a man, with wrist grabbing etc.. But it was clearly indicated that YH and Jian respected each other in some ways and were trying to figure out their feelings and their next decisions. 

I know exactly what you mean.  I, too, feel that it's so rare to see such beautiful connection between the leads and to not fully flesh out that kind of chemistry is such a wasted opportunity.  On the other hand, I would not want to trade the show's success  (ratings, viewers' reception, and critical acclaims) with skinship just so I can ease the angst of my heart.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Hahaha.... Thanks for this picture.  He is the ultimate Korean actor for me, but I suppose if Director Kim Won Seuk had picked Gong Yoo or Jo In Sung, there would not even be non-shippers.  Do you think?  Would it have worked just as well with these more conventionally handsome actors?

Not really. I felt uncomfortable with Goblin actually no matter how good-looking Gong Yoo is (and I love Gong Yoo). Not because of the age gap per se but personally I didnt see enough chemistry between the main pair (I was more convinced by the 2nd male lead's love angle there).

And really LSK is Park Dong Hoon. His voice is integral to the story.  This role was made for him. And his understated charm and unconscious sex appeal must have made this age gap even a conflicting issue to some who would outright be nonshippers due to age alone.

And puhleeease, how can anyone think LSK is not good looking (???) He is just not packaged like the other actors because he is an actor's actor, not some celebrity trying to make us swoon by just posing on a couch with a duck face. :lol::lol::lol: 

Edited by Chellsee
Please do not quote images/gifs. Thanks.
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

But Lee Seon Kyun was perfectly cast as the everyman ahjussi! Gong Yoo and Zo In Sung are too extraordinarily good-looking for me to take them seriously as anything but ethereal beings. LSK is handsome too, but his handsomeness has a humility (or humanness, as my sister puts it) to it, if that makes sense. That's why I found him so believable and root-worthy in this role.

But I do agree, had a more traditionally good-looking actor been cast in DH's role, there probably wouldn't have been so much fuss about the age gap.

I’m not so sure about that. When the age gap dramas were first announced, there were some downright vicious comments from non-Korean fans.

http://koalasplayground.com/2017/11/20/three-huge-age-gap-korean-projects-coming-2018-mr-sunshine-ahjusshi-love-sling/

I also think LSK was perfectly cast in this role. Not just because of his looks and acting skills, but his voice. I can totally see why someone would listen to his voice all day, fall in love with it, and recognize it instantly after being apart for 2-3 years. He really does have the sexiest voice. Fans nicknamed him The Voice since his Coffee Prince days.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, maddymappo said:

This is an interesting point and very western, I think. In the Buddhist sense, a person who takes the path and is enlightened does save the world. Not buy setting up a charity.  DH does save others, even his co-workers becoming his employees are doing much better albeit financially than they would have. The company he worked for also shed off evil men.  JiAn's grandma died with dignity. KI finally overcomes his anger over the violent death of his father and saves Jian.  JiAn of course overcomes her self hatred, her bitterness and suspicion of the world .  She finds someone who she can trust to the point of selflessly loving him.   

No, not really. I don't agree. :wink: Of course I acknowledge that there are different Buddhisms however Buddhism in its traditional sense is about detachment from the world in order to find one's enlightenment. To leave behind worldly desires. And the person who demonstrates that best in the drama is the friend who left everything to become a monk, Sang Won/Gyeom Duk. DH is in the thick of things but more at peace with himself because he is on a trajectory that he's chosen rather than pushed by circumstances.

If you had said that DH had become the Confucian ideal of the Noble Man, then perhaps I may have conceded the point. :wink: Someone who was now in harmony with his environment and flourishing. He acted the virtuous man, aligned his own choices with the worldview he held to and was able to create choices for his beloved colleague.  I wouldn't say he saved his colleagues but he gave them an alternative and to their credit, they took the risk (it was something of a risk to leave an established firm) and reaped the rewards.

I don't consider philanthropy a particularly "western" idea but a Judeo-Christian one. There's no doubting the Judeo-Christian ethic's influence on the west. I only used "starting a non-profit" as an example because I kept seeing the word "philanthropic" thrown around. There are many ways DH could have replicated that dynamic... I just picked the first thing that came into my mind but as someone has noted, his kindness toward J'A was not something he did as a matter of habit. He wasn't on friendly terms with every single female worker in the office. Clearly J'A piqued his interest and there's no denying he singled her out for attention to the point where even onlookers were gossiping. As I've said in an earlier post, I'm not a particularly hard core shipper of the two but there's no denying looking at what the camera was focused on when she wasn't in the room that he didn't see her as just another woman or colleague.

I would love to spend more time on this but sadly I have a tonne of things to get to. I've got a student coming to see me this afternoon and I have to prep for that. But thanks for the chat.

• Like 14

I think I am ready to move on now after having such withdrawal syndrome these past few days that I think I exhausted myself scouring for LSK videos on youtube.:lol:

Let me just share some final thoughts on this drama that made me think I can now accept any possibilities of how it turns out for them, why I am ready to let go:

1.  They say the most beautiful love stories are those that are tragic. Think Romeo and Juliet, sense and sensibility, even Bridges of Maddison County. Those stories are bittersweet. Those love stories that are so powerful but yet will never be. In that sense, I know I would have loved a clean cut happy ending for DH and JA. But Id happily let go of my desire for that self-gratifying ending just to make this drama  even more of a classical literary masterpiece. It is a masterpiece, afterall. Not a cotton candy drama that is supposed to make us smile for while but we will vaguely remember after a few days.

2. DH and JA crossed paths in the perfect time. Like comets in a dark, starless, midnight sky. It is a once in a lifetime chance encounter. And as they collided on impact, they gave off that brighest light illuminating that entire sky. And we saw that light. We witnessed it. But just like comets, we can trace their path while their light fades into the night but we know that they will never be as bright together as when they initially collided. Personally, after thinking about it, Id like to remember them when they came together in the darkest moments of their lives and when they sparked together the most. 

3. Not all things are made to grow in sunshine... what tightly bound DH and JA are extra ordinary circumstances that made them tightly bond in a united effort to make it through. All those unusual circumstances are gone now. It is happy sunny times. It will be more like the humdrum days that can make even the most fairytale love fizzle. I am still unsure if I want to witness their extraordinary connection fizzle through ordinary life.

Again, I am ready to let this go. I am comforted by the fact that theirs is a one in a million love story and they will always have each other as part of each other's good memories (enter JH's toast of how the monk is now part of their good memories, but this time let's toast DH, JA, and all those who witnessed their stars colliding)

Cheers,  guys! I loved every minute of this drama and all the exchanges here. I dont know when I'll be back. Maybe when I find another drama worth watching after having seen MA. Till then, may we all find our own level of comfort. :wub:

Edited by kdramafanlsk
  • Like 10

I love everything on this drama especially the scenes when everyone is running or just walking, I can't explain it really well but it really touches my heart. When Dh and Ja with the guys running to catch up the train running in slowmo plus the ost playing omg! Same as tho scene with the Gang with Ja halmoni's burial and that ost again, It's really heartwarming to witnessed, I felt like I was running with them :):heart:

• Like 11