[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

4 hours ago, dito said:

XF did find out the truth after LCY killed GJ and destroyed the Zhao family. LCY told her himself. But it had the opposite affect on XF....she became more scared of him and more desperate to escape from him. LCY told her he never loved Sese and he also told her he loved her. XF was shocked and told him she would never be able to trust him again after knowing everything. How can she know his love for her is real. People get attached even to a dog or a cat they have raised for a few months....but he used a woman who lived with him and loved him for 3 years and killed her without a second thought. She then asks him...if you can gain more power by killing me, will you kill me too? LCY says No he wouldn't. XF replies.....Yes, you will.

Just imagine what XF must have gone through after remembering how LCY used her to destroy her family.Then hearing he used another woman he claimed to love similarly and destroyed her family too. No wonder XF became scared of him and his love after this...and wanted to go as far away from him as possible.

Omg this is too sad!!!! I thought I knew all of the tragic things that will happen in the story due to the spoilers, but nope! I was so wrong lol. Sigh LCY's actions makes everything so much more complicated and unappealing. So I understand why XF would want to leave/would be frightened of him. This also makes me wonder....does he "really" love XF? LCY's love later on seems to turn into an obsession which is super unhealthy. On one end, he makes the viewers want to believe that he loves XF but on the other end, his actions says otherwise. He loves himself/puts himself first and is unwillingly to let XF go bc of his selfishness, all of which feeds into perhaps....not truly loving her. Gahhhh this is too tragic.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Bon-bon007 said:

@nuttyz Thanks for sharing... very informative:) Where can I find the english version of the novel?

I saw one here 

Also another summarized version here 

Yeah, if I was XF I wouldn't be able to trust LCY again after all he did to SeSe. All she saw was how he was good to SeSe during those 3 years, to the point that she was a little jealous. It turned out all of it was fake, how much then can you trust a guy who says he loves you passionately now? Especially bearing in mind that XF is a very simple happy-go lucky-girl by nature, she can never understand LCY's action in a million years, whih makes the story all the more sad because that is the only way LCY could protect her behind all this political backdrop. I remember feeling really down but somewhat satisfied after reading the novel for the level of maturity shown in the writing this story... 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ayang23 said:

Omg this is too sad!!!! I thought I knew all of the tragic things that will happen in the story due to the spoilers, but nope! I was so wrong lol. Sigh LCY's actions makes everything so much more complicated and unappealing. So I understand why XF would want to leave/would be frightened of him. This also makes me wonder....does he "really" love XF? LCY's love later on seems to turn into an obsession which is super unhealthy. On one end, he makes the viewers want to believe that he loves XF but on the other end, his actions says otherwise. He loves himself/puts himself first and is unwillingly to let XF go bc of his selfishness, all of which feeds into perhaps....not truly loving her. Gahhhh this is too tragic.

Yeah, this just means he is selfish and self centered. Ugh.....fly away princess..If they didn't have their love prior to the great betrayal, I would be like she is crazy for loving him. Yeah, his character in the drama is charming so maybe that is making us swoon over him. I didn't read the book so I don't know how crazy the book made him. The drama seems to downplay him a bit and make it all seems like it's due to his loyalty to his family and his love for her. 

• Like 6

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAJu9x8mR78IejMwbB0LDimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1ZXuih67whhc3sGAXNFM

Sadness in being so close yet never close enough

" It's not in the stars that hold our destiny but rather ourselves"

The more I watch this drama the more I admire the writer who was able to draw me into such a story and characters believing that no matter how cruel or unbelievable LCY's  heartless actions of revenge are.  I continue to grasp onto those moments in only seeing a shadow of his heart.   For somehow it's those little and fleeting moments that he does for XF that has my heart tied in knots.  It's my not always understanding him and yet never doubting that he loves and whom it is he loves...

It's week after week watching XF and knowing all that she has suffered and yet is still so pure at heart.  She is like an angel among them.  Like I said before it's no wonder men fall for her whether it's love or just simply respect.  Who wouldn't admire a person who has lost so much and yet still has the courage to face life with a smile time and time again.  I guess that's why hearing from others about her attempting to kill herself a second time to me doesn't fit the woman she has become.  Not to mention Adu who loved her more than life itself, who gave her all that she had so that she could live for both of them...

Why does it feel as if I am begging the drama gods to please make something else happen.  Second ending or a part two.  Why is it that her dying and him facing life alone without her knowing seems to cruel to be true. But then I wonder if it was like every other happy ending would it have touched me and others this much?

All of a sudden the kiss she gives him knowing what the future holds is more meaningful than even she can comprehend...

Hoping if the monk is right and they have 3 lives than they will find each other somewhere again...

:heart:

1 hour ago, piluche said:

Wait....their voices are dubbed over? Lol

Yeap, it is a common practise in Chinese dramas. Very rarely do Chinese dramas retain the voices of the original actors, not sure why is this the case tho... :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

While I agree that LCY's actions are really bad (bad being a very mild word), one has to bear in mind that during these times; his actions are what can be expected from the royal family. Brothers killed brothers and sometimes sons killed their fathers just for the throne and power. 

I really believe that LCY loves XF more than she will ever know but he also had to think about protecting her. Even the emperor can not protect all his wives if they become a target from other factions. Some get poisoned, others get accused of trumped up crimes and others have their entire clans wiped out for treason.  It just so happened that LCY is still the crown prince and not the emperor yet. He had to be stealthy because his position is still not secure. 

As for XF, I think she did reciprocate LCY's love but the problem is that she was not kept in the loop regarding LCY's plans and schemes. Even if she was, I think she would be against most of his plans because she is basically a kind and happy person. 

Destiny and fate really played them. Their story was never meant to be and I can just grasp on to what the Buddhist monk said about them having 3 lives. Hopefully, they will have their best ending in their last lives. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, nuttyz said:

I saw one here 

Also another summarized version here 

Yeah, if I was XF I wouldn't be able to trust LCY again after all he did to SeSe. All she saw was how he was good to SeSe during those 3 years, to the point that she was a little jealous. It turned out all of it was fake, how much then can you trust a guy who says he loves you passionately now? Especially bearing in mind that XF is a very simple happy-go lucky-girl by nature, she can never understand LCY's action in a million years, whih makes the story all the more sad because that is the only way LCY could protect her behind all this political backdrop. I remember feeling really down but somewhat satisfied after reading the novel for the level of maturity shown in the writing this story... 

Hi there chingu! Thanks for the link... 

• Like 2

I'm Sorry but i hate LCY

Spoiler

how could he slap XF just because SS wanted to be punished by the empress, even after XF helped him speak to save SS, I hated SS. she is a high-jealous woman, I really don't like her character. how can LCY slap XF and accuse her of poisoning the pregnant servant's food. he was not opinionated and consistent, besides he was nice to Xiaofeng, jealous of the General Feng with Xiaofeng, but besides that he acted like crazy if something had happened to SS. honestly I don't like the character of a man who is wishy-washy like that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow!!!!:wub::wub:

“Goodbye My Princess” is a Hit with Viewers

âGoodbye My Princessâ is a Hit with Viewers

The high-quality production has earned the favor of even the novel’s hardcore fans.

Since premiering in February, Goodbye My Princess <東宫> has earned great reviews, thanks to the outstanding cast, beautiful costumes and fitting props. Male and female leads Chen Xingxu (陳星旭) and Peng Xiaoran (彭小苒) also shine in their respective roles as “Li Chengyin” and “Xiaofeng”.

Adapted from the novel of the same name, the Chinese drama has been attracting much fan interest since filming started. Premiering online on Valentine’s Day, it has inspired both memes and discussion topics so far; with the likes of hilarious topics “101 ways of how Li Chengyin can die: which do you like?” pushing up the show’s popularity.

Strong Cast Performances

Goodbye-My-Princess-3-300x240.jpg

As Xiaofeng, actress Peng Xiaoran looks stunning in her exotic red costume complete with tribal-like hair accessories, and equally mesmerizing in horse-riding scenes on the verdant green fields. With her vivacious mannerisms and winning looks, Xiaoran impressed with her lively and charming character rendition.

Chen Xingxu, however, did not win the same adoration from fans, as Li Chengyin is a rather unsavory character who makes use of the female lead in his every move to his gains. Audiences, who have been responding to his screen appearances with curses aimed at his character, are fervently hoping for Chen Xingxu to disappear and imagining the many ways he can be “killed”.

Despite his character’s misgivings, Chen Xingxu has managed to capture Li Chengyin’s distant yet sexy aura, which gives his character an undeniable charm. Heartwarming, loving scenes of the two have certainly won over even the most skeptical of fans.

Staying True to the Novel While Delivering More Surprises (Spoiler)

The novel is a tearjerker with its imperfect, tragically sad ending separating the two lovers and leaving Li Chengyin hoping to die along with Xiaofeng when he regains memory of who he actually is. The drama adaptation has also managed to stay true to the classic scenes within the novel, fleshing out in full detail romantic scenes such as Li Chengyin catching a hundred fireflies for Xiaofeng and delivering even more satisfaction as the plot unfolds steadily.

Quality Cinematography and On-location Filming

Adding to the drama’s appeal is the beautiful cinematography. Perfectly showcasing nature such as the desert’s magnificence, the thriving oasis of the greenery, beautiful sunsets, and the stirring rivers, these breathtaking settings have managed to impress viewers and draw them deeper into the story.

cr:https://www.jaynestars.com/news/goodbye-my-princess-a-hit-with-viewers/

“Goodbye, My Princess” Scriptwriter Shares How Casting Choices Were Made

âGoodbye, My Princessâ Scriptwriter Shares How Casting Choices Were Made

The Chinese period drama Goodbye, My Princess <东宫> did not receive a warm welcome when it was first announced two years ago. Based on the tragic romance novel of the same name, many fans were wary about the TV adaptation. When it was revealed that the show would star two relatively newcoming actors, fans became even more disinterested.

But the fans took back their criticism after the show premiered in February. Many fans were pleasantly surprised at how well the direction of the show turned out, and it’s all thanks to a team of dedicated scriptwriters for bringing the novel to life.

goodbye-my-princess-still-2-300x169.jpgGoodbye, My Princess is set in an alternate China where the 9th princess of the Western Region travels to the Center Plains to marry the Crown Prince of the Eastern Palace, the most dangerous and manipulative place to be. Though a loveless marriage, mysterious events begin to unravel upon the princess’ arrival, revealing memories that were intended to be kept away forever.

The drama is co-written by six scriptwriters, with Hu Rong (胡蓉) in charge of quality assurance. One of the scriptwriters, Ke Yitong (柯宜彤), told Taiwanese news agency ET Today that the script had went through multiple revisions. “Director [Li Muge 李木戈] is a very straightforward man, yet he really has the heart of a little girl. It’s interesting,” she said.

The hardest scene to write in the drama was the subplot involving prince Li Chengye making the decision to rebel against the throne. “We changed that scene ten times. The director found that scene to be extremely important for the story.”

With a total of 52 episodes, Goodbye, My Princess had a production budget of 200 million yuan. The male lead is portrayed by 22-year-old Chen Xingxu (陈星旭), perhaps best known for starring as Yang Kang in the 2017 TV adaptation of The Legend of the Condor Heroes <雕英雄传>. Chen Xingxu was the first and only actor considered for the role of prince Li Chengyin.

“I’ll be honest, I was surprised when Chen Xingxu got cast,” said Ke. “I did watch his performance as Yang Kang, and at the time, he still had some baby fat. I didn’t consider him to be very handsome, so I wondered why a big IP drama like this one would want to cast him.”

Ke originally wanted a well-known actor to play the role of Li Chengyin, but after doing a table read with Chen Xingxu, she completely changed her views.

goodbye-my-princess-poster-200x300.jpg“I was definitely very wrong,” she said. “He is actually very handsome! He also understood his character, and was able to portray that darkness, naivety, and patience very well.”

The female lead, on the other hand, is portrayed by actress Peng Xiaoran (彭小苒). The decision to cast her was made only half a month before filming began. “The director at one point did consider casting a popular costume drama goddess to play the role, but we don’t have enough money to justify that. That’s why, in the end, we decided on Peng Xiaoran.” The 28-year-old has been in the business since 2014, with six credits under her name. Goodbye, My Princess is her first drama as lead.

The drama, which releases new episodes everyday on Youku, also boasts an award-winning supporting cast, including Siqin Gaowa (斯琴高娃), Gallen Lo(羅嘉良), and Kristy Yang (楊恭如).

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/goodbye-my-princess-scriptwriter-shares-how-casting-choices-were-made/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lovecarnation said:

I'm Sorry but i hate LCY

Hide contents

how could he slap XF just because SS wanted to be punished by the empress, even after XF helped him speak to save SS, I hated SS. she is a high-jealous woman, I really don't like her character. how can LCY slap XF and accuse her of poisoning the pregnant servant's food. he was not opinionated and consistent, besides he was nice to Xiaofeng, jealous of the General Feng with Xiaofeng, but besides that he acted like crazy if something had happened to SS. honestly I don't like the character of a man who is wishy-washy like that.

If you put yourself in his position, you can understand his action. All is LCY's acting & he did that to protect XF.

Although I understand his actions, I'm still really annoyed by his slap with XF even after reading the novel.

• Like 8

On 3/1/2019 at 3:14 AM, jewelsc said:

Depends on where u r watching, it's 1 epi eveyday on regular showing like youtube etc while it's 4 epis on mondays and thursdays special.  

I haven't read the novel after seeing translation wasn't complete only bits here and there but continue with this thread and u may see a few novel spoilers once in a while by our novel friends here.

Hi, can someone let me know if the crown prince is going to remember his past live with 9th princess ? Thanks so much

11 minutes ago, DramasOhDramas said:

Hi, can someone let me know if the crown prince is going to remember his past live with 9th princess ? Thanks so much

Nope, he will remember everything after she dies, and lives a lonely life recalling everything in guilt and repentance.

:bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, furu.vu217 said:

If you put yourself in his position, you can understand his action. All is LCY's acting & he did that to protect XF.

Although I understand his actions, I'm still really annoyed by his slap with XF even after reading the novel. 

hi... see u again on this thread...lol

Spoiler
I do not know what he did for what but honestly I don't like the main male character like this, he is not too brave to do something brightly , often uses other people for his sake, the tragedy at Danchi has made me not like him very much, a betrayal feelings and relationships. and then his kind and sweet attitude like he loved XF and then behaved as if he'd rotated 180 degrees if it was about SS, honestly I was very sorry for XF, I didn't expect him to disappoint and hurt this pure girl feeling once again, XF was too kind and innocent to hurt. she is really a kind woman.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/12/2019 at 1:32 AM, qqbr21 said:

Hoel, his fake love for Sese 'seems so real. Maybe Sese and many courtiers will be amazed and don't doubt LCY's love. But I think LCY is drunk for 3-4 days because he feels guilty of slapping XF, more hurts XF slaps LCY back and insults LCY that he is the type of man who is hated by all women in the country xi dan no exception XF (it's like a declaration that XF isn't love LCY and hate him very much) hahahha. Even G'Pei looked surprised when the XF boldly said all that ^^

I think you may be right. The drama might show LCY got drunk over his guilt of slapping XF and his hurt feelings of XF’s words, not because of Sese’s demotion and house arrest. The novel is written from XF’s persepective ONLY (except for the epilogue after XF died) and XF thought LCY got drunk for Sese and got sick after. 

Another thing is I’m not really sure whether the drama will show LCY planned and used Sese to destroy Zhào clan from the beginning like in the novel. So far, it has shown only that LCY’s mom and maternal Gu clan were destroyed because of empress and Gao family and Zhào family wasn’t involved like in the novel. Zhào family and Gao family also didn’t get along. LCY might have used Sese for her family’s military support and now to protect XF in pretense of favoring Sese only but so far I’m not sure he planned all this to destroy Zhào clan. I don’t think the drama will make LCY this bad! He might say he wasn’t that in love with Sese like he acted though he likes her. 

I think even if drama showed Sese and her family got punished because of their own wicked plannings (like her brother arrested and killed third Gao son for his own personal grudges and Sese killed Xu Niang then blamed it on XF) not because of LCY’s plans to destroy Zhào family, XF will still remember her involvement/ being used in her maternal clan getting destroyed and her grandfather’s death. Thus, she will feel guilty everyday by staying with LCY. 

• Like 5