[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

@ChloeR I agree with your viewpoint. Your views are well said :)  

Personally I am on the emperor ship. I think it’s quite unfair to compare the love that Ying Luo have with the king and the one she had with Fu Heng. It’s like relationships that changes as people progresses into different stages of life and they have matured in their thinking and how they handle their relationship. 

Fu Heng was her bittersweet first love, like any other, it failed to withstand any serious challenges posed and she moved on, like what she always does when Fu Heng made the choice to marry Er Qing.  She even used Fu Heng to secure a Long lasting affections of the emperor. She was not even jealous when she saw fu Heng and er Qing together. The relationship she had with Fu Heng eventually progressed to a confidante one. I was not bothered by her last promise made to Fu Heng. It is the only thing she could do to someone that sacrificed his own life to secure her. It seemed that she did it out of guilt. Sorry to any Fuying shippers. 

The relationship with the emperor is like a relationship where one have with their spouse.  It is a love that strengthened with the passage of time and kids, the one where our parents or grandparents shared. The emperor is someone of equal wit with her and they are able to understand each other at a level where no one could. It is a relationship between two complex and mature individual. She even managed to overcome her fear of giving birth which was demonstrated at the episode of empress Fucha giving birth. She gave birth to 4 kids by the time of the last episode. She could have happily remained in the yuan ming gardens after the big argument with the emperor. She came back and she got jealous of Shen Bi, which is a big indicator to me that she had fallen in love with the emperor. I just wish that they did not cut the parts of Shen Bi. Shen Bi portion of her wearing her ethnic clothes  was cut to pass the screening. Sighs.

Overall, I like how her relationship with the emperor has progressed. It is a relationship that demonstrates how two equal people can love each other and remain true to Themselves. It is truly admirable and one that people can envisioned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thelonetraveller_18 said:

@ChloeR I agree with your viewpoint. Your views are well said :)  

Personally I am on the emperor ship. I think it’s quite unfair to compare the love that Ying Luo have with the king and the one she had with Fu Heng. It’s like relationships that changes as people progresses into different stages of life and they have matured in their thinking and how they handle their relationship. 

Fu Heng was her bittersweet first love, like any other, it failed to withstand any serious challenges posed and she moved on, like what she always does when Fu Heng made the choice to marry Er Qing.  She even used Fu Heng to secure a Long lasting affections of the emperor. She was not even jealous when she saw fu Heng and er Qing together. The relationship she had with Fu Heng eventually progressed to a confidante one. I was not bothered by her last promise made to Fu Heng. It is the only thing she could do to someone that sacrificed his own life to secure her. It seemed that she did it out of guilt. Sorry to any Fuying shippers. 

The relationship with the emperor is like a relationship where one have with their spouse.  It is a love that strengthened with the passage of time and kids, the one where our parents or grandparents shared. The emperor is someone of equal wit with her and they are able to understand each other at a level where no one could. It is a relationship between two complex and mature individual. She even managed to overcome her fear of giving birth which was demonstrated at the episode of empress Fucha giving birth. She gave birth to 4 kids by the time of the last episode. She could have happily remained in the yuan ming gardens after the big argument with the emperor. She came back and she got jealous of Shen Bi, which is a big indicator to me that she had fallen in love with the emperor. I just wish that they did not cut the parts of Shen Bi. Shen Bi portion of her wearing her ethnic clothes  was cut to pass the screening. Sighs.

Overall, I like how her relationship with the emperor has progressed. It is a relationship that demonstrates how two equal people can love each other and remain true to Themselves. It is truly admirable and one that people can envisioned.

I also thought it was very generous of Fu Heng to go to Yuan Ming Yuan to ask her to return to the palace. He was the one who warned her that the emperor was infatuated with Chen Bi. For him to encourage her to go to another man, to put her interests before his feelings, that is also the sign that they have both moved on in their relationships and are now seeing each other not in a romantic light, but in deep trustful friendship where both understand and support where each other is coming from. I also agree that her last promise to  Fu Heng is fair - she will have the emperor in this life and be with him in the next. Not a question of who she loves more, but just two very different loves at very different times of her life. And to me, that's why I enjoyed Yanxi Palace so much. It  showed her development as a character over time and the maturation of her personality after she grew from an impulsive, vengeful lowly ranked maid to a gracious Imperial Consort at the end. 

• Like 3

About the love btw Yingluo and Fuheng....on one hand, one can say there are different levels and both can exist or even Fuheng's is slighly stronger, hidden in her heart.

But on the other hand, as mentioned she is said to be someone who let go completely and move forward....and one thing to note, does she believe in next lives? I remember this dialogue btw her and Chen Bi on her bed....there was commotion outside bcos of ceremony over a lunar eclipse...then Chen Bi said Yingluo is not supersitious type. It seems abit strange to mention that at that time.

If it is something on impulse, she would say yes immediately...even just whisper in her heart after Hai Lan Cha told her. But she took some time. Onscreen it is may seem a dramatic effect, give viewers suspense. But for her i guess she did ponder over it alot...whether it conflict on her relationship with the emperor...not say in real life but within her own heart how both are rated. If she only believe in current life...then there is no conflict. Even if she believe...think she understand who she love for the rest of her current life...and who to give another chance in the next life.

I believe for some stuff...the script create parallel references....eg this Fuheng ask Yingluo part is parallel to the house maid Qinglian asking Fuheng part. 

Btw i came across this joke...viewers use to fancy the emperor (in most stories)....then the prince (My fair princess)...then the lord (Guo Jun Wang in Zhen Huan)....then the palace guard (Yanxi)...until the eunuch in Ruyi. I didnt actually follow that yet...but read that the Li Yu version in Ruyi is handsome (not like the fat version in Yanxi though is cute n funny)...haha.

6 hours ago, Sobayaki said:

Interesting... According to Wiki, Consort Yu (愉妃) resided in Yonghe Palace (永和宮) which I believe was where she resided in this drama. The real inhabitants of Yanxi Palace (延禧宮) was not anyone mentioned in this Yanxi drama according to this Chinese Wiki.

I believe she loves both dearly. But as others have mentioned, she shows that she's more attached to the Emperor instead of Fuheng but it was a more gradual process that took some time. Eventually she fell into love with the Emperor and she was noticeably jealous when she saw the Emperor favoring Chen Bi. Also, she wouldn't have so many children if she didn't love him as she said in the drama.

I meant was this based on history did Yingluo really not want to be empress due to fuca?

Also, am slightly disappointed that nothing was mentioned about Empress Fuca. Or at least mention Yingluo not wanting to become Empress due to her loyalty to Empress Fuca. I felt that would've been a nice touch. Oh well...

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I meant was this based on history did Yingluo really not want to be empress due to fuca?

Hide contents

Also, am slightly disappointed that nothing was mentioned about Empress Fuca. Or at least mention Yingluo not wanting to become Empress due to her loyalty to Empress Fuca. I felt that would've been a nice touch. Oh well...

Ya, it'll be a nice touch. Though Qianlong did mention Rong Ying a few times in the last few episodes. I forgot what context.

U all would have realised Qianlong almost never call the consorts by name...if by name, it's a sign of affection...something more personal. BUT one person is exception....WEI YING LUO! usually shout aloud due to annoyance...hahaha.

In history....most speculated why Ling Consort was not made Empress during her lifetime is b'cos of her lowly Han status. Of course in real history whether she desired it or not...we don't know. In drama....by her char, i don't think she want it too. To say she didn't want to replace Fuca....i think this didn't matter to her. This isn't her way of being loyal or remembering Fuca....if so, she won't have slept with and loved Qianlong at all.

About Yanxi palace...i read up the chinese wiki....ya, it's really a faraway venue, usually very low-ranking ladies (eg record mention a few Chang Zai) or lost favour will live there. It's besides a path where servants often pass by....so quite noisy....remember in Yanxi, they transported the water tanks pass a door (where Yingluo supposed to elope in).

I think Ling consort....or did Ruyi live there too (in Ruyi drama)??......they didn't stay there in reality. Palace protocol are very strict....they probably can't just assign anyone to any palace....must follow certain ranking protocol. The dramas usually write like this to make the ladies very pitiful.

• Like 1

Finally watched the last ep. Previously i only watched those short clips. On further re-watch....i don't think i would compare YL-FH and YL-QL's love. I don't know how to elaborate...but i feel both can co-exist w/o saying she betrayed the other. Again i realise a parallel case....Fuheng asked her if she is willing to protect him in next life.....and in the ending, she replied to the emperor that she won't answer his question but will use her whole life (current one) to reply. In a way it means she didn't want to spoil the mystery...but perhaps her action/decision is already the reply.

Actually Yingluo had been holding on to Fuca's crystal beads until the end....guess it's her way of remembrance.

Overall....I'm impressed with the acting from Charmaine Sheh (Xianfei, Step Empress), Nie Yuan (as Qianlong), Song Chunli (Empress Dowager) and Qin Lan (Fuca Empress). Actually the actor as Li Yu, the emperor's main eunuch is consistent and well-balanced in his portrayal. For Yuan Chun Wang, sometimes i feel he acted well to portray that psycho mindset....but mostly feel he overact, esp that weird tone. Some i still feel some actors probably misinterpret the char abit. Yingluo's eyes should be more expressive even though her char is supposed to be super calm. 

Ya, they missed out some chars. Grannny Zhang wasn't mentioned since halfway though....probably she's no longer important.

Jia consort (the younger one) got "cold palace" treatment during Shun Consort's storyline....after Shun consort framed her for hurting the 12th prince in a make-up accident. But this part is cut out from the drama.

And in the end, if Yingluo got poisoned by the bug, how on earth would the 5th prince Yongqi survived it? Ok, my guess is the bugs sucked his blood and ate his wound meat, not the same as bitting as in Yingluo's case. Anyway in real history Yongqi died of skeletal tuberculosis...related to the bones....so abit related in the drama. And Ling Consort's body when discovered in 1928 wasn't rotten....of course i think scientists had explained in some normal way.....but the drama sort of want to relate to that with that toxic-cleaning pill which was described to help in preserving youth....mmm....interesting.

I thought she had a different relationship and love for both.

She loved fuheng deeply and they were both soul mates and understood each other. Like when she told Chen pi that fuheng understood her and that's why he knew she wouldn't think of eloping.

And she explained fuheng's desire to serve and distinguish himself in military campaigns to the emperor and helped fuheng get appointed to lead the war. And fuheng also knew that she had spoken on his behalf to emperor and called her his soulmate and even told Hailancha how happy he was she came to see him off and that sometimes just a look and no words were necessary between those who understood each other. I think he was also happy then because he felt that she had "forgiven" him.

I thot she wasn't not jealous at seeing him and Er Qing together - she totally ignored them and was bitterly hurt and later told him she vowed after seeing them together, to cut emotional ties with him.

Her reaction itself at news of his passing was an indication of the depth of her feeling for him. She seldom shows her emotions but she cried then. And in her 24years in palace she only cried for her Sister, the empress, Ming Yue and Fuheng. All people she loved deeply. It's just that she is a very forward looking person and from the moment she "married" the Emperor, she knew that she could never be with fuheng. And so while the love was still there as they were kind of soulmate, she kept fuheng at a distance to protect herself and also him.

I think she grew to love the emperor, partially because she put so much effort into securing his affections and partially because he treated her so well ( She is a character who is reciprocal - good to her, she is good to you. And of course if you are bad to her, then ... ). I have to say that although she tried to make their relationship as equal as possible ... Just a personal thot that it seems kinda hard to have an equal relationship with  someone who can execute or banish you at anytime :p

As an after note: it was very sweet when Wu jingyan actually started to tear and got quite emotional when she reenacted the scene where Yinglou is asked the question by fuheng to watch over him in next life ( but on stage Xu Kai asks her instead of Hailancha )

• Like 2

Hehe I love the discussion in this forum ^_^

The puzzle might have been solved by Yingluo and Qianlong themselves! Haha I came upon an interview. Both Wu Jinyan and Nie Yuan answered our questions! Thank you to Lona Linh from Youtube for translating the interview to Vietnamese. I'll try my best to translate it to English for you guys lol 

Wu Jin Yan (Wei Yingluo)

Q: Which couple do you like more? Fuheng-Yingluo or Qianlong-Yingluo?

A: As of now, I really like the relationship between Qianlong-Yingluo. When I read the script, film with Nie Yuan Lao Shi, also watch other dramas on Qianlong, I really feel that Qianlong truly love Consort Ling. The character of Qianlong in Story of Yanxi Palace is really cute. Even better that this drama narrates the love story between Qianlong and Consort Ling. 

Q: Do you regret being married to Qianlong emperor? 

A: No

Q: In the end does Yingluo love the emperor? 

A: Yingluo loves the emperor! This type of love is a process! To be honest, the emperor (Nie Yuan) also taught me how to express my love to the emperor. 

Q: When did Yingluo start to like the emperor? 

A: In actuality, Yingluo loves Qianlong long time ago, but she herself doesnt know about it. The scene when Yingluo gifted the fur hat to the emperor is her way of showing her true feeling for him (during that time)

Q: Did you really think that the emperor really likes Consort Shun?

A: He wants to make jealous/angry because he's hurt because of me. I know he's mad at me.

Q: Did you return to the Forbidden City because you're jealous? 

A: Yes! Because Yingluo fell in love with the emperor. The last time she returned because she wants to revenge, this time is because she's jealous of Consort Shun.

Q: Could please talk about yourself and your character?

A: @$#%@#$%@ (I cant understand this part). Yingluo's character is a lot more strong than I am. She will repay to those she's indebted to and take revenge on those who are guilty. Once she decided on something, she won't ever retreat. @@#$#$@#$@

Regarding love life, Fuheng is her first love. As for the emperor, they share a special bond between husband and wife.

In real life, Fuheng is my best friend, Nie Yuan is my senior/teacher(?). All the other consorts and I have our own group chat.....As of now, I want to focus on my career, dont have time for love!

Nie Yuan (Qianlong Emperor)

Q: What do you think about QianlongxEmpressFuca and QianlongxYingluo couples?

A: Empress Fuca is Qianlong's first love, a love that is so beautiful in the younger days. In actuality, this kind of relationship is deeper than love itself. Whereas, Yingluo gave Qianlong many new experiences with feelings and love. Qianlong needs someone who could understand him, fight on with him, and someone who is similar to himself. Qianlong loves Empress Fuca, but she is not similar to him at all. 

I know that many people think that Qianlong treated Empress Fuca very coldly and harshly (on the day that she committed suicide). But I feel like this is what Qianlong has to do as an emperor. I can understand his disappointment when the empress committed suicide. Truly speaking, I can feel his hopelessness because he cant do anything about the empress' longing for freedom.

Why does Qianlong love Yingluo? Because he sees similarity in her. He has Wei Yingluo in his heart, but he cannot say that he love her because he's the emperor and so he can only favors her. Yingluo is very lovable, but also very pitiful to him. 

Q: When did Qianlong start to fall for Yingluo?

A: In the beginning, he does not even want to see her face. Gradually, Yingluo catches his attention and arouses his curiousity. During this process of curiosity, he discovers that she is on special person. I told Wei Jinyan that outside of playing Yingluo as a woman who is capable of love and hate, there are times she should also be gentle and emotional, so that viewers can see Wei Yingluo as a unique person. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess Yingluo and the emperor love each other because they see themselves in each other? Nie Yuan is right in the aspect that the emperor loves Empress Fuca but she doesn't really understand him and the position that he is in. Empress Fuca loves the emperor but maybe she loves the freedom and the times before Qianlong ascended the throne. Aside from Yingluo being like him, I also think the emperor loves Yingluo because she somewhat reflects the younger, carefree self of Empress Fuca (Hence, why the empress said Yingluo is her hope). 

Whatever it is, Im glad my ship sailed for once xD 

Oh also, does anyone think that Story of Yanxi Palace is kind of similar to Empress Ki (korean drama)? Especially the part when ha ji won came back to the forbidden city to be emperor's consort so that she can take revenge. And then the love triangle btw the Chinese emperor, Ha ji won, and the Korean king. That was also my fav korean drama, no wonder I like story of yanxi so much LOL

• Like 3

Love this thread and drama. Loving the emperor and Consort Ling. Thanks for translating that interview. Do you guys know where I can watch this drama with english sub or viet dubbed? I can't read viet but I can understand. I just can't find where to watch it anywhere. Dailymotion was having two eps but I think it stopped.

30 minutes ago, AppleBanana said:

Love this thread and drama. Loving the emperor and Consort Ling. Thanks for translating that interview. Do you guys know where I can watch this drama with english sub or viet dubbed? I can't read viet but I can understand. I just can't find where to watch it anywhere. Dailymotion was having two eps but I think it stopped.

ENg subbed not done yet

On 30 August 2018 at 12:26 AM, cheeriekwan said:

A question to those who finished the drama - who do you think Yingluo loves more?

Haha I think she loved her Sister and the Empress best! Her primary actions for most of her life were motivated by them :)

3 hours ago, AppleBanana said:

Hello. A little confuse. Is ErQing’s son the emperor or someone’s else?

Fu An Kang is Erqing's son with Fuheng's younger bro. The one who always appear around Erqing. There's no direct scene of their affair but it's hinted. And Fuheng probably had guessed. A few times they would always say they swear the child is of Fuca family's blood....thus no contradiction even if not Fuheng's.

There'll be a side story or short sequel to be shown soon. Date and no of ep unknown yet. But i think they already filmed it. U will see Fu An Kang...initially he would try to take revenge for his mother by getting close to the Princess Shaohua (daughter of Yingluo)....but later the truth would be revealed.

Princess Shaohua.

5B864B835D8B11535527811.jpg

Mmm.....copy her mother doing cosplay? haha.

Spoiler

s-8441850237146.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,

Fu An Kang. Handsome but think lose out abit to Fuheng.

5B86669D616591535534749.jpg

A love rival, a Mongolian prince....thus the hairstyle.

5B866720872691535534880.jpg

Spoiler

Think one more lady is the daughter of prince Hong Zou (the one who tried to rebel at the end of Yanxi drama).

s-8441824410608.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,

5B864DC3A829C1535528387.jpg

5B864DDD405791535528413.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Fu An Kang is Erqing's son with Fuheng's younger bro. The one who always appear around Erqing. There's no direct scene of their affair but it's hinted. And Fuheng probably had guessed. A few times they would always say they swear the child is of Fuca family's blood....thus no contradiction even if not Fuheng's.

There'll be a side story or short sequel to be shown soon. Date and no of ep unknown yet. But i think they already filmed it. U will see Fu An Kang...initially he would try to take revenge for his mother by getting close to the Princess Shaohua (daughter of Yingluo)....but later the truth would be revealed.

Princess Shaohua.

Mmm.....copy her mother doing cosplay? haha.

Hide contents

Fu An Kang. Handsome but think lose out abit to Fuheng.

A love rival, a Mongolian prince....thus the hairstyle.

Reveal hidden contents

Think one more lady is the daughter of prince Hong Zou (the one who tried to rebel at the end of Yanxi drama).

s-8441824410608.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,

5B864DC3A829C1535528387.jpg

5B864DDD405791535528413.jpg

Gimmie that prince any day xd

Honestly I'm so disappointed with the subbing for this drama. Literally every recent drama including Ruyi got engsub despite not being as popular nationwide as Yanxi. Why?? Is there anyone dedicated to subbing it? Coz I'm not seeing anything anywhere aside from that ep1 on YouTube and that's it...

• Sad 1

Been waiting for eng sub :bawling:

Did anyone know the name of the instrumental song that was often played in the episodes? The song has quite noticeable erhu sound..if I remember correctly, in one of the clips I saw,  the song was played when Empress Fucha was telling the emperor how Yingluo reminded her of her past self so she will do anything to protect her or something like that. Also played when Empress FC told YL to stay away from HongZhou. 

I haven't watched the complete but from clips here and there l,  what I like from this series are:

1. I might be wrong but I feel the series has this more closer portrayal of the main characters (e. g.  fucha empress, and if i am not mistaken the closer relationship between QL and Empress dowager ChongQing) to what my understanding of the known characteristic according to history (or what I think my understanding of the history. So sorry if this is not right).

2. Not so typical characters. There's seem to be a trend of evil empress and an innocent lead character who only fight back in the middle of the series onwards.  Not WYL.  She is not purely innocen since the get go, some might even say she can be very cunning. She's not purely good or kind hearted all the time, especially to enemies. Nope.  She can inflict pain to those who deserve the comeuppance. Quite a refreshing break for me personally.

3. Not all characters are purely good or bad.  Even Xian fei was very pitiful that some maybe find heartwrenching.  Charmaine delivered a touching performance in the finale when she poured out her grievance.

And actually adorable emperor/main character pairing.  From my persobal pov,  One thing I notice in ZHZ (and some old school back palace intrigue drama maybe?  I'm not sure) is the lack of shippable chemistry between the emperor and the empress and with thw main character but here is different. QL/FC empress and QL/YL are nicely shippable :wub:.

Now really hoping we'll see the eng sub version soon. 

Just my personal opinion folks.  No ill intention whatsoever please. 

Peace all:blush:

6 hours ago, chipz03 said:

Been waiting for eng sub

Did anyone know the name of the instrumental song that was often played in the episodes? The song has quite noticeable erhu sound..if I remember correctly, in one of the clips I saw,  the song was played when Empress Fucha was telling the emperor how Yingluo reminded her of her past self so she will do anything to protect her or something like that. Also played when Empress FC told YL to stay away from HongZhou. 

For eng sub....so far i only see some progress in kseries.net site. But it's very slow, so far only ep 3.

https://kseries.net/drama/the-tale-of-yanxi-palace/

If anyone come across other source, kindly share here. 

As for the music in this drama....1st some trivia....it's composed by Chen Guo Liang 陈国樑 from TVB (HK) who composed music for the 2004 HK drama War and Beauty 金枝欲孽 also starring Charmaine Sheh. Thus many heard some similiarity.

They composed over 100 pieces of the music, many are just variations and short pieces (30sec-1min). I tried this china site...but fail b'cos of region error. If i try with mobile phone, sometimes it works.

http://www.kugou.com/yy/album/single/8932711.html

An easier way....is youtube. Lucky us....someone uploaded into youtube. But only 70 clips....perhaps still in process or he skip those that sound too similar or short.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tekjenq/videos 

Ok, about that music piece u were asking....should be "Loss" 失去. There are 2 versions....one is pipe, one is er-hu.

The above channel only got the pipe version.

But i came across the er-hu part hidden (start at 50sec) in this clip "No Return" 一去不返....or is it a variation? Probably my fav....starting from start to end.

Another of the longer pieces...an upbeat one....Solve 化解....where u can hear the changes....almost can imagine the start is they are investigating or debating over a crime scene.....then towards the end (2:05), the music changes when they solved it.

Btw the way, the pic of Fuca they used in the youtube....it's from promotion poster....inside each char's eye is another person that matter to them alot. For Fuca, it's Yingluo.

Spoiler

Other pieces memorable to me...usually sad ones.

旧情似水 Old Romance Like Water

悲 Sorrow