Qin Lan

Charmaine Sheh

Nie Yuan

Wang Guanyi

Tan Zhuo

Wang Yuanke

Zhang Jiani

Synopsis:

A story revolving around a palace maid with a plucky attitude, street smarts and a good heart as she maneuvers the dangers in the palace to become a concubine of Emperor Qian Long.
During the 6th year of the Qian Long's reign, Wei Ying Luo finds her way to the Forbidden City as a palace maid to investigate the truth behind her older sister's death. She vows to exact justice after learningthat Hong Zhou is connected to the case. The kind and gentle Empress Xiao Xian Chun worries that Wei Ying Luo would tread on a path of no return, so she does everything in her power to help Ying Luo and to be her pillar of support. Under the Empress' guidance, Ying Luo becomes a female official and starts to let go of her hatred. However, the Empress dies an untimely death. Misunderstandings arise between Ying Luo and Emperor Qian Long yet they eventually learn to see eye to eye and to find comfort in each other inside the palace that is full of intrigue and conspiracy.
(Source: Chinesedrama)

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略 Raw Episodes

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderators 
angelangie l akinahana89 l LavelyShai

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A similar theme to Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace 如懿传, some feel after watching the trailer that the cinematography, props and costumes might be equivalent. The only con is that it got less famous actors/actresses. I think for acting and storyline, would have to watch both when they debut. Not sure about the date except would be in 2018.

The story is about Consort Ling (of Emperor QianLong)....how she rose from a palace maid. The other drama Ruyi focus on Step Empress Ulanara, also wife of QianLong....so both are same period and both chars are in both dramas. Here Ulanara or also known as Consort Xian is played by Charmaine Sheh.

The female lead Wu Jing Yan 吴谨言 (see 1st pic in the post above) as Consort Ling isn't well-known. During the trailer....i found a few faces look similar to each other. Hope she would stand out with her acting.

Trailer :

Clip about the costumes and traditional sewing. Need to wait abit for the ad.

http://player.hunantv.com/mgtv_v5_main/main.swf?play_type=1&video_id=3974774

Think one young actor to look out for is Xu Kai 许凯. Consider 2nd male lead in the drama.

C175A90A1EBDD6ACE696EFE0E778C3DD.jpeg

Spoiler

aec223b9ly1fk6cy2713wj222o340x6t.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

So the show is debuting on 19 July on iqiyi.

Btw look out for Lawrence Wong, mid 30s, he was born in Malaysia but acted in Singapore for a few years as well as training as an idol in Japan at 19yo....but didn't work out then return to Malaysia and Singapore to act. For the past few years, he had the guts to venture into China mainland....though doing small supporting roles.

Here even though supporting role....at least he got a poster...so should be quite important role.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Cedric Ong said:

A similar theme to Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace 如懿传, some feel after watching the trailer that the cinematography, props and costumes might be equivalent. The only con is that it got less famous actors/actresses. I think for acting and storyline, would have to watch both when they debut. Not sure about the date except would be in 2018.

Yes, a very big con for this drama is the lack of star power. It's premiering 7-19 on iQiyi. There's also word that Ruyi will probably air in August, but aiming for satellite cable as well as online streaming. I think if Ruyi really airs in August, it may bury Yanxi. Hope not.

u53ue8M.jpg Confirmed premiering 7-19 on iQiyi. :)

On 1/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Cedric Ong said:

Consort Xian is played by Charmaine Sheh

I'm glad she's in it.  Wish more from HK were included in the casting. 

oEEKAkE.jpg

• Like 1

Saw some short teaser clips released in advance....seems like the female lead is going to be strong-headed and not-to-be bullied type right from the start. I mean some storylines would start with the girl being soft and nice. One thing is many viewers feel the lead actress isn't pretty enough....perhaps it's true...but i do hope she would act well enough (for a newbie) to prove them wrong. 

2018071764280853.jpg

New trailer :

Teaser clip of ep 2....it shows the lead isn't to be bullied....after another maid wet her bed.  

Teaser clip of ep 4....it shows the relationship btw one arrogant consort (her dress with pearls look strange) and the empress.

Spoiler

• Like 1

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

So far no news of eng sub, right?

Reading some chinese feedback...think there is some misconception. Some think the clothes are dull and cheap looking..and the headsets are too simple. But actually the production based it on that actual period under emperor Qianlong. It is more of popular impression that clothes are always colourful with big flowery headsets.

Furthermore the Empress as mentioned in history was really someone who prefer to save expenses...and really gentle. Which some viewers thought an Empress shouldn't be so weak...but was true in history.

And the triple earrings...u don't see it in other dramas....actually it is common for Manchu royal ladies in history.

Some small flaws which i admit : some parts, the language is abit too modern...some phrases.

The female lead abit too bold and her plans went abit too smoothly....they called it the lead's halo (meaning she would always win, others would help her, situation would happen in her favour etc). But still, her clever plots and fierce char is better than some gentle and weak char (the typical nice girl turn hard-hearted towards the end)...many viewers find this (already fierce from the start) refreshing.

And the Gao consort...her char is meant to be very arrogant...but her acting abit exaggerated.

• Like 3

I was also surprised this is a Yu Zheng production. The quality is there along with some creativity (the opening sequence is pretty original). The pace is not too slow and the cast of characters are believable (so far).

On 7/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, Cedric Ong said:

Reading some chinese feedback...think there is some misconception. Some think the clothes are dull and cheap looking..and the headsets are too simple. But actually the production based it on that actual period under emperor Qianlong. It is more of popular impression that clothes are always colourful with big flowery headsets.

Furthermore the Empress as mentioned in history was really someone who prefer to save expenses...and really gentle. Which some viewers thought an Empress shouldn't be so weak...but was true in history.

And the Gao consort...her char is meant to be very arrogant...but her acting abit exaggerated.

I initially agreed with those feedback but you do have a point. In real life, there must have been differences in personalities no matter for Empress or high-ranked consorts than what we're typically fed in the usual palace dramas. I think it's a refreshing and realistic take really.

I'm eager to watch Ruyi's Love in the Royal Palace to compare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sugarplum892 said:

anyone know the broadcast schedule for this?

Showing iqiyi every thu to sun (2 per day, 8 episodes per week) but vips can watch much more in advance). 8pm china time. Think around 70ep.

For me, i need to use proxy to watch bcos not in china and they show region block message.

Might have other sources to watch but i am not sure.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Showing iqiyi every thu to sun (2 per day, 8 episodes per week) but vips can watch much more in advance). 8pm china time. Think around 70ep.

For me, i need to use proxy to watch bcos not in china and they show region block message.

Might have other sources to watch but i am not sure.

i see! Thank you!  I was wondering when will there be new episodes since the last time I checked it was only 16 episodes out.  I thought this would be one of the dramas that have episodes out daily....

• Like 1

Not sure if it’s true, but this show is now creating more storm than fuyao >_> I will possibly try this once it finishes airing, YU Mama gave me too many scars! His series always started out very good, then gets really bad toward the middle and rush ending, with draggy middle! Best to wait and binge at the end!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Not sure if it’s true, but this show is now creating more storm than fuyao >_> I will possibly try this once it finishes airing, YU Mama gave me too many scars! His series always started out very good, then gets really bad toward the middle and rush ending, with draggy middle! Best to wait and binge at the end!

what's its viewers at online? 

• Like 1

Yu Zheng is the producer. This time, he is neither the scriptwriter nor the director. But probably some of his ideas (eg art style) are there. So many viewers are mildly surprised that the colours and style in this drama is much muted compared to the bright colours in his previous dramas.

Actually the general storyline is already guessed b'cos it's based on novel and also they can't change too much from real history. It's only how good and smooth they manage to make the story flow.

To me, one con is they aren't very strict with some words in the dialogue, too modern. Also the protocols and manners between the chars aren't strict too...esp lower status towards higher ones. The servants shouldn't be so loud in speaking up to their superiors. Same goes to the concubines to the Empress no matter how influential one is. And also some illogical parts...which just happened so things go smoothly for the female lead's plotting. 

Douban ratings is 6.9 dated 30 Jul. Fuyao is rated 4.9. But compared to a similar Qing Dynasty themed drama....Legend of Zhen Huan (2011) was rated 8.9...which many people often compared to for palace dramas.

According to this record dated 28 Jul, online viewership for Yanxi is no 1 around 203million. 2nd place is Sand Sea (Sha Hai) and 3rd is Guardian (Zhen Hun). Legend of Yunxi is at no6. This is the chart for dramas shown on internet platforms.....

79aba393gy1ftqgyur608j20c80fi3zv.jpg

Which is different from another list of dramas under so-called TV dramas....but they are also shown on similar platforms like Tencent, iqiyi, Youku etc....but additionally on traditional tv stations. Also dated 28 Jul. Fuyao is at 3rd place with 185million. (so lesser than Yanxi). And 2nd place is Sweet Combat, starring Luhan, so can imagine his appeal. No1 is 猎毒人The Drug Hunter (not familiar to me). Deliraba's 1001 Nights is at no 6, the new version of Meteor Garden is no 7. 

79aba393gy1ftqgxxo2xcj20cl0fi0uf.jpg

Info from this weibo. A data collection service.

https://www.weibo.com/vlink

One cute pic from a fan weibo...i think originally a default website graphic...but now resemble someone...haha.

ab22073agy1ftr131k3r8j204l04ajrg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2