[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

No direct ref to the drama as in which CP is more important. My guess is marketability and also Nie Yuan (emperor) is married already. So i guess this CP receive more attention in events and photoshoots.

Also got 3 of them together in one shoot.

• Thanks 1

I'm now on episode 65! Just 5 more episodes...

Spoiler

But the pacing has slowed to a crawl. Chen Bi's story was uninteresting to me but now, the story is boring as well. There is no one else to fight except the Empress.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略
14 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

No direct ref to the drama as in which CP is more important. My guess is marketability and also Nie Yuan (emperor) is married already. So i guess this CP receive more attention in events and photoshoots.

Also got 3 of them together in one shoot.

COuple in that video are so damn sexy ;p

13 minutes ago, Wotad said:

COuple in that video are so damn sexy ;p

Ya, they look compatible. Initially I though their age are close. No, Wu Jing Yan the actress is 28yo while Xu Kai the actor is 23. 

Anyway they would soon have new dramas coming up (meaning they would have new screen partners)...so these related promotion activities eg photo shoots won't last too long.

1 hour ago, Cedric Ong said:

Ya, they look compatible. Initially I though their age are close. No, Wu Jing Yan the actress is 28yo while Xu Kai the actor is 23. 

Anyway they would soon have new dramas coming up (meaning they would have new screen partners)...so these related promotion activities eg photo shoots won't last too long.

I like the males look alot. 

20 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

I like the video featuring the 3 of them together. It's nice seeing them sans the drama costumes.

Too bad, I actually like the emperor more but I do understand that he is married, so... Perhaps because he is a more experienced actor, I find him having better chemistry with the female lead. 

1 hour ago, moon-flower said:

For Ying Luo and Fu Heng ship. They were on Happy Camp and they did a mini mv/skit/special cut Fu Heng and Ying Luo got married. Fu Heng, Ying Luo and Fuca said it's their dream for Ying Luo and Fu Heng to get married. lol. 

Actually they were playing the younger version of Qianlong and Fuca...as the skit is about those 2's love story from marriage, loss of son to her death. But ya, the image of those 2 actors in wedding clothes satisfied many fans.

Xu Kai will be in Wu Jing Yan's next drama Chao Ge...but probably not her love interest. Wu played the part of Da Ji the fox spirit....Xu Kai is Yang Jian the general with extra eye on his forehead.

Wu will be in another ancient drama Hao Lan legend with Nie Yuan. Suspect to be a love triangle relationship. She is the mother of the great Qin emperor.

Xu will be in an army school themed drama and i know he is in a webmovie remake of korean drama Autumn In My Heart...the role played by Song Seung-heon last time. Not much info on both yet.

Actually they were playing the younger version of Qianlong and Fuca...as the skit is about those 2's love story from marriage, loss of son to her death. But ya, the image of those 2 actors in wedding clothes satisfied many fans.

Xu Kai will be in Wu Jing Yan's next drama Chang Ge...but probably not her love interest. Wu played the part of Da Ji the fox spirit....Xu Kai is Yang Jian the general with extra eye on his forehead.

Wu will be in another ancient drama Hao Lan legend with Nie Yuan. Suspect to be a love triangle relationship. She is the mother of the great Qin emperor.

Xu will be in an army school themed drama and i know he is in a webmovie remake of korean drama Autumn In My Heart...the role played by Song Seung-heon last time. Not much info on both yet.

The version by Luojin's The God, Daji and Yangjian are lovers. So there might be a chance too although Yangjian is not the male lead in Chang ge.

Any idea what is the viewers rating after it ends?

I just finished the last episode! I'm going to miss this series and Yingluo. Anyone know what happened to the following people? Or at least know of their endings from the novel?

Spoiler

Consort Jia #2  小嘉妃

Zhang Momo 張嬤嬤

Hu Puo 琥珀

I really really like the chemistry between Qianlong and Yingluo; it was the highlight of the show for me. Their comedic moments were very entertaining and am so glad they kept it up after she became the highest ranked Gui Fei. If only it was true in real history...

Also, am slightly disappointed that nothing was mentioned about Empress Fuca. Or at least mention Yingluo not wanting to become Empress due to her loyalty to Empress Fuca. I felt that would've been a nice touch. Oh well...

On to Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace I go! :sweat_smile: I'm very surprised and it's ironic to learn that...

Spoiler

Concubine Yue 愉貴人 in Ruyi resides in Yanxi Palace.

3 hours ago, Sobayaki said:

I just finished the last episode! I'm going to miss this series and Yingluo. Anyone know what happened to the following people? Or at least know of their endings from the novel?

Hide contents

Consort Jia #2  小嘉妃

Zhang Momo 張嬤嬤

Hu Puo 琥珀

I really really like the chemistry between Qianlong and Yingluo; it was the highlight of the show for me. Their comedic moments were very entertaining and am so glad they kept it up after she became the highest ranked Gui Fei. If only it was true in real history...

Also, am slightly disappointed that nothing was mentioned about Empress Fuca. Or at least mention Yingluo not wanting to become Empress due to her loyalty to Empress Fuca. I felt that would've been a nice touch. Oh well...

On to Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace I go! :sweat_smile: I'm very surprised and it's ironic to learn that...

Hide contents

Concubine Yue 愉貴人 in Ruyi resides in Yanxi Palace.

Spoiler

is that based on history? 

@cheeriekwan This is THE question that has been on my mind ever since I finished the drama lol. Personally, I am not to sure who Yingluo loves more since she never really said it out loud even when Consort Shun asked. At first, I thought that she might have loved Fuheng more since he was her first love. Also, because he understood her more than the emperor (such as her background, her revenge, motives etc). Whereas, she might have feel obligated to love the emperor because he was her husband. However, overtime I have this slight feeling she might have loved the emperor more (or maybe because I am a QianlongxYingluo shipper lol). There was this one scene in the leaked script that wasnt on TV where Fuheng, Yingluo, and the emperor were exposing the evil deeds of Consort Shun. To revenge, she wanted to use her hairpin to assassinate the emperor, but Yingluo ran in front to shield the emperor (but Fuheng shielded them both with his body). This scene shouldve been kept tbh because I feel like it shows Yingluo's love towards the emperor. To sacrifice your own life for someone else says a lot. Also, Yingluo showed signs of anxiousness and jealousy when the Emperor favored Consort Shun. Before Yingluo was married to the emperor, she loved Fuheng, but she never showed any of those signs even she saw Erqing and Fuheng together (that one snowy day). For the next two years after empress fuca passed away, she was just living her life peacefully outside the Forbidden City, not thinking about Fuheng at all. But when she saw the emperor holding hand with Consort Shun, she couldnt fall asleep thinking about him. Therefore, I feel like she must have loved Qianlong more in addition to her telling him that "a woman will only bear children for the one they love". 

But I am also not saying that she doesnt love Fuheng. I feel like he was more of a soulmate and a confidant to her. She did love him romantically before, but that love might have turned to admire and mutual respect for one another. She understands him just as much as he understands her. It's like an unbreakable bond between them. 

As for the emperor, I still don't know whether he loves Empress Fuca or Yingluo more. As much as everyone in the drama keep emphasizing on how much Qianlong loved Empress Fuca, but from how I see it is that the emperor might have shown a lot of respect and affection for the empress, but his love for the empress and Yingluo is different. Like when the empress was alive, the emperor also favored Gao Guifei, Chuan Consort and even eyed Yingluo.  But later when the beautiful Consort Shun came into the picture, the emperor didnt really give much thoughts to her. He was just using her to make Yingluo jealous. He was just thinking about Yingluo the entire time.

I don't know but I feel like the emperor truly love Yingluo and is overly protective of her. Maybe because he wasnt able to do this for Empress Fuca so he wanted to make sure this time around he could protect the one he love dearly? What do you guys think? Who does the emperor love more? It has been a puzzle for me, but I truly enjoyed this drama. Since 3 lives 3 worlds ten miles of peach blossom, this is the second drama that ive been in love with. Wish someone would sub it T^T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@ChloeR thank you for your review. 

I m also on the emperor's ship :love: but it makes me think twice when

Spoiler

The final message from Fuheng really touched me a lot :bawling:  I love him for being a protector all these while without any expectation. I love him for standing by yingluo despite being part of her plan. And yingluo fulfilled his wish to be his protector in their next lives.  i try to convince myself that being a protector doesnt mean love but i love Fuheng too :dissapointed_relieved: ya maybe soulmate fits well here.

As to who Qianlong loves more i cant tell too. He shd be a different person after all he has gone through esp the death of empress fucha and knowing yingluo. He is no longer that rigid emperor when it comes to yingluo.

I m glad they didnt end the drama with her death (though in history she died at the age of 49). That makes us feel less tragic. Not giving us an answer who she loves more also allow the audience to explore and talk about it. This is one of the best drama in my list after NiF and BBJX. 

Added: they did not cut Fuheng being stabbed by Chen Bi in order to protect the emperor and Yingluo.

For me..love can come in different forms...or even levels. One thing about Yingluo is she look and move forward...and keep to that direction. But sometimes there are lingering feelings that can be observed.

To be frank...feel Wu Jingyan could act out some scenes better but i can accept the overall acting. She is best at the witty and cheeky parts....now cant imagine someone else as Yingluo.

About the last few episodes...i don't quite like the focus on Yuan Chun Wang...it made the step empress and prince Hongzou almost like side villains. Overall i find the earlier 2/3 of the script to be better. 

Back to the history part.. for the ladies, the records  have stuff like age, years of major events, when they rose in positions, children, death etc....but daily stuff very little info. So those are up to intepretation. Even personal names arent recorded thus the different ones in different dramas and novels. 

The emperor side would usually have more records....eg Qianlong wrote poems to Fuca. Then besides these would be records and tales from commoners.

Actually the drama did follow quite acuurately the timeline...most deaths and birth of children, wars and flood events are accurate. Some children are omitted perhaps to simplify the storyline. And some deaths which should be illness (as recorded in history) become suicide in the drama instead.

A common criticism about the drama is that certain protocols are wrong...eg servants shouldnt speak up...or the female lead shouldnt be able to succeed so easily. Well...i look at this drama as in between a very serious one and a relaxed one (which My Fair Princess would come to mind...the chars can jump over palace walls). Yanxi need this...to order to portray certain things...eg how close btw servants and masters (how possible is an empress to say a servant girl is her hope....it is actually more to reflect the yearning of the empress).

• Like 2

@Cedric Ong me too think of My Fair Princess when Yingluo did some nonsense acts. To me, thats why Yanxi is fun to watch. The drama has a fair share of humour and emotional parts. The only down parts for me are Chen Bi and Yuen chun wang. Both their stories and acting are too exaggerating.

I read about the maid is the empress hope thingy before watching. So was keeping alert for that and i can totally accept the logic of it. Firstly the empress cares for this girl and she is also the love of her brother, she simply adores and envy the way yingluo lives her life. If she cant do it being a controlled empress, she wants to see yingluo live truly freely with her then love fuheng.

Maybe i have gone through too many bad dramas recently, Yanxi stood out as one of the better ones. Overall its a nice ride of 70 episodes and no push for the fast forward button, not even once. 

16 minutes ago, cheeriekwan said:

I read about the maid is the empress hope thingy before watching. So was keeping alert for that and i can totally accept the logic of it. Firstly the empress cares for this girl and she is also the love of her brother, she simply adores and envy the way yingluo lives her life. If she cant do it being a controlled empress, she wants to see yingluo live truly freely with her then love fuheng.

The empress part was mildly surprising to me initially bcos she was so proper at the start. Then we realised her true char was restrained after marriage. The emperor also like someone who is of free spirit...and equal wits vs himself. Someone who see him as husband rather than merely consort vs emperor.

The drama contains several wisdoms...some come from unexpected places. Eg Gao consort. She once talked about how poets and painters praised the 4 plants (eg bamboo) to have certain virtues...but actually it is so superficial...they are merely praising themselves. Plants are just plants.

• LOL 1

The empress part was mildly surprising to me initially bcos she was so proper at the start. Then we realised her true char was restrained after marriage. The emperor also like someone who is of free spirit...and equal wits vs himself. Someone who see him as husband rather than merely consort vs emperor.

I love the part when the empress pours out her grievances. Qin Lan really nailed the role of fucha empress. She deserves an award for this character. So as Nie Yuen as Qianlong. 

Even the fatal ends of Gao Guifei and the step empress were quite touching too.

18 hours ago, Wotad said:
  Reveal hidden contents

is that based on history? 

Interesting... According to Wiki, Consort Yu (愉妃) resided in Yonghe Palace (永和宮) which I believe was where she resided in this drama. The real inhabitants of Yanxi Palace (延禧宮) was not anyone mentioned in this Yanxi drama according to this Chinese Wiki.

14 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

A question to those who finished the drama - who do you think Yingluo loves more?

I believe she loves both dearly. But as others have mentioned, she shows that she's more attached to the Emperor instead of Fuheng but it was a more gradual process that took some time. Eventually she fell into love with the Emperor and she was noticeably jealous when she saw the Emperor favoring Chen Bi. Also, she wouldn't have so many children if she didn't love him as she said in the drama.

• Like 1