[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, thelonetraveller_18 said:
3 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Which one is more real i dont know. Guess it is up to different interpretation.

I won't comment on portrayal or acting...not wanting to offend any fans....but think Nieyuan's version is more memorable.

Reveal hidden contents

I do agree that Nieyuan version is more memorable also. 

What I like about  Qian Long in Yanxi is that it seems that the emperor is doing real governing work. There is scenes of Qian Long dealing with actual events that occurred in history. There is scenes where he is downright shrewd in dealing with his matters of the country and how he value the crown over anything, ie. how he killed his brother when his brother attempted a coup. I can feel the sense of responsibility of the emperor especially where he has aspiration to be a wise ruler and that he prioritize the well being of his country over anything. Especially the one where YL got hurt and he rushed off to deal with matters of his country even though he wanted to stay there with YL.  His scenes of him and his ministers are pretty good and I think it gives more dimension to Qian Long as a character in the show. It makes Qian Long more likeable in the show also. 

This is always the PLUS point of C-drama. Portraying a king as how a ruler should be. And this is always my problem with K-drama which skewed more on the romantic side. 

Deviate a bit

Spoiler

For example, while I enjoyed K-version of BBJX for the most part because of Lee Jun Ki and how he made the 4th Prince so memorable, the real lacking in his 4th Prince is because the character was written off as over-romantic and not shrewd enough as a ruler even when we know that the Gwangjeong in history is one of the bloodiest kings who purged on those opposing him. In contrast, the 4th Prince in C-version still prioritize his throne despite his deep love for Ruoxi. 

7 hours ago, lyserose said:

Deviate a bit

Hide contents

For example, while I enjoyed K-version of BBJX for the most part because of Lee Jun Ki and how he made the 4th Prince so memorable, the real lacking in his 4th Prince is because the character was written off as over-romantic and not shrewd enough as a ruler even when we know that the Gwangjeong in history is one of the bloodiest kings who purged on those opposing him. In contrast, the 4th Prince in C-version still prioritize his throne despite his deep love for Ruoxi. 

Actually for Scarlet Heart,Ryeo

Spoiler

The k version, the 4th Prince is ruthless too. Remember there was a scene he ordered to kill some one? I forgotten over what but that look in his face... 

Just that the screenwriters decided to show us more romance over a blood thirsty king.

As for Yanxi Palace, I don't know. 

The Emperor's obsession to have her disturbs me.

Just because he is a king does not give him the right to have whoever he wants.

I cannot stand man-child despite how decisive / powerful / ruthless he is.

I feel Qianlong's interest in her is normal....he didn't kill or physically harm anyone to get her. And he's pretty clueless in the start.

I mean u have to see all the chars from a neutral point of view. Not just b'cos Fuheng and Yingluo is official CP...and thus anyone else is bad guy. Not sure how to elaborate....often given in some dramas....4 chars....the main 2 leads will always be supported (even when the guy forced kiss on the girl or pester her alot, u can accept b'cos they are main CP) but any move from the 2 supporting leads, u dislike.

Of course Qianlong is a complicated char....we would of course prefer a devoted one-woman lover like Fuheng...while Qianlong has a few women, i won't say he didn't dote on them at one certain time (even Gao consort)...let alone Fucha.

Anyway this drama is interesting as in life, there might not clear-cut romantic relationships....u might love someone the most but u can't be with him....so u accept someone else....does it make this 2nd relationship any less precious/sacred?

In the drama, the chars are all abit flawed and complicated....Yingluo isn't the normal romantic type of girl....she can put aside her feelings abit for her motives but she isn't heartless.

And she's not as bad as in harming those unrelated to the "revenge" she is seeking....and i don't see her revenge as in hatred....more like a belief that the bad shouldn't go unpunished. Thus for those earlier maids, she only made them being caned or imprisoned, not death....to her, something equivalent to the sin but not over.

For Fuheng, one common topic about his love in chinese forums is his love towards her is more of him wanting the best for her....instead of what she wants. Of course i don't think one is right or wrong. Perhaps which way is more compatible with her char more. And when encountered in what scenerios....b'cos unfortunately the part where he married Erqing disappointed her more than touched her (i'm sure she knew his reason).

Overall the drama is interesting as it creates some different interpretations of the relationships for ppl to discuss.

• Like 1

Yey...i got my episode 3 with eng subs ...so good to understand what is going on.  I am drawn to this drama because this girl is hilarious from what i see so far ..such unexpected wit and self reliance .. beating her supervisor lol with the basket on her head  :smile:

Hehe.. Yumama is back!

Ok, so CDrama 2018 finally have a hit drama!

I thought all would be a flop :rolleyes:

I quite curious, and heard alot of good reviews, but OMG 70 ep! But I guess I'll try it.

Is this something like Female Prime Minister? I think the main girl storyline a bit similar.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:26 AM, jadore1 said:

Yey...i got my episode 3 with eng subs ...so good to understand what is going on.  I am drawn to this drama because this girl is hilarious from what i see so far ..such unexpected wit and self reliance .. beating her supervisor lol with the basket on her head  :smile:

Is the 3 ep fully subbed?

Just now, icyphoenix said:

@dr4malala this is not available for my region:bawling:..any other links?.. BTW, thanks dr

Your welcome dear.

Thats also not available in my country. But we can use vpn, i choose canada and it works. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dr4malala said:

Your welcome dear.

Thats also not available in my country. But we can use vpn, i choose canada and it works. 

Thank u once again!! 

Will try it!! 

The above link....i try with proxy....i don't see any eng sub.

Kseries sub ep 1-3. Ep 4 only sub until 11mins. Guess they don't have much manpower. 

https://kseries.net/watch/the-tale-of-yanxi-palace-episode-3-english-sub/

Perhaps the best is still when some official channel from an english-speaking country buy the rights and sub themselves....would be faster?? I remember last time an article mention they would be selling it to many countries. So far, i had seen vietnamese dub of some episodes....not just sub only. That's besides the cantonese version.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dr4malala said:

@Cedric Ong do you mean the youtube link?

I already check it have eng sub.

Have you turn on the cc icon?

You need to turn it on at the right bottom of the video.

I tried 2 proxy sites....no cc icon. Maybe the proxies has some issue...lose functions?

Anyway i know kseries work, got eng sub....but slow in subbing.

And actually i am chinese....so i don't need. But i hope more people can watch this drama.

Absolutely love this drama. Especially the acting skills by the Emperor and Queen Fucha. The costumes are so so beautiful! I am also on the Emperor x Ying Luo ship. For those who love them as well will love these side stories on emperor x ying luo ( i google translate them lol)

https://www.douban.com/group/topic/121204991/?dt_dapp=1

• Like 2

Some Taiwan site very good in doing business....advertise some related stuff from the drama....of course, replicas.

Cup used by Qianlong. Goodness know how many he had broken in real history.

img_5b7daaf7b47bd.png?w=642&ssl=1&strip=

Pouches.

img_5b7dab3df04c2.png?w=658&ssl=1&strip=

Painting (the one Qianlong asked Yingluo to identify if real/fake) and calligraphy.

img_5b7dac26b1ead.png?w=1300&ssl=1&strip

And of course, some new novel stuff...haha. Should have all the chars.

Spoiler

img_5b7dab7aada50.png?w=642&ssl=1&strip=

Read some trivia....in the upcoming Hao Lan legend where Wu Jingyan (yingluo) and Nie Yuan (qianlong) are in. Think the actresses as Mingyu and consort Gao are in too.

Supposed to have Qinglan (fuca) and Xu Kai (fuheng) but they are busy. Else we will have almost same cast.

And yrs ago, producer Yu Zheng planned to have Wu as Dragon Girl in his drama The Condor Couple...but they got the taiwanese actress instead. Maybe it's better not...it's not easy role to fill in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blessedchild said:

Absolutely love this drama. Especially the acting skills by the Emperor and Queen Fucha. The costumes are so so beautiful! I am also on the Emperor x Ying Luo ship. For those who love them as well will love these side stories on emperor x ying luo ( i google translate them lol)

https://www.douban.com/group/topic/121204991/?dt_dapp=1

Guess Emperor x Yingluo shippers outnumbered the other OTP here.

I am sure for those who are invested in this drama would have done lots of googling on Qianlong and Consort Ling. Don't know if someone has shared this before but really an interesting read for me. 

http://theirhistory.blogspot.com/2018/08/the-three-empresses-of-emperor-qianlong.html

Though not much details on QL and Consort Ling's romance as in comparison to his feelings for Empress Fuca which was clearly spelled out, Consort Ling's remarkable ascension to the highest ranks among all consorts within such a short period of time, given by her low birth and a Han Chinese made me think that he must have favoured her a lot. Not to mention that he had the most number of children with her and most of his later children were also from Consort Ling. That sure says a lot. The two actors were so good and had great chemistry. They really sold the romance. 

• Like 1

I found 2 parts in this drama related to fandom of any idols...either c-pop, k-pop, actors etc. 

Spoiler

Consort Chun. Once a "loyal fan" of Fuheng and by relation, his sis Fucha (not bcos she is her friend last time). Once she found out he wasn't the least interested in her (misunderstanding of her gift)...a sense of betrayal (though not his fault)....she turn totally anti-fan...even to Fucha as well. Perhaps this is abit like how some fans react to their idols having a dating scandal.

Consort Gao. During Consort Xian's charity drive at palace gate...giving out free food....Gao plotted by paying commoners to act as victims and stir up trouble. This is much like currently some people would pay netizens to go to forums and fansites of rival idols to post bad comments...to stir up issues. In China they even had companies of employees whose job is to do the above after getting paid. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

:thumbsup: I got my ep 4 subbed ...you know you are hooked on a drama when you watch all 70 episodes and have to rely 100% on the fascial expressions and actions since the subs are not out  lol.   I keep checking for the subs daily , and Ying Luo is totally cracking me up :grin: ...she deserves to become the empress just for outsmarting consort Gao . 

Group pic. But think lack a few eg "Hai Lan Cha". Note Nie Yuan/"Qianlong" look cute sitting on the floor right in front...haha. but also can see he is low profile with no idol burden.

11dhl-1535731844915507231519.jpg

Chinese article on the costumes...about foreigners being interested in them. There are pictures of actual costumes from Qing Dynasty probably from museums...they do look similiar....the show does place efforts in that aspect.

https://m.guancha.cn/Celebrity/2018_08_16_468392

20180816113700551.jpg!wap.jpg

Read the show (cantonese version) is well received in HK. Very high viewership. A few of the actors even went there for events.

• Thanks 1