[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

38 minutes ago, cheeriekwan said:

How many episodes got leaked? Hope not the final episodes though. 

I didnt go to the actual weibo and links. But according to these screenshots of sites advertising what episodes they have...most already listed until 69 and even 70 last ep. 

Spoiler

This chinese thread has that screenshot. It also speculate that besides the guilty vietnam source, the huge increase of weibo sites that started to share the links or clips are probably from same source too...thus a lot of speculations.

https://m.douban.com/group/topic/122574722/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Think the show got 1 starting song and 3 end-credits songs which reflect 3 periods of the drama. This is the 3rd one 相忘 (loosely translated as Forgetting Each Other)...it's sang by Su Qing (who played the char Er Qing). Well, it's not that good a song compared to the others....but i like the transition effects where they show the embroidery come alive and then fade back into the clothes or items wore by the chars. Can only find facebook version.

Do u know the starting song (看 or See) has lyrics? When u watch the drama itself, most of the main parts of that song are not sang...only hear the "oooo" and the opera singing at the end. Here's the full version.

Sidetrack abit. The 2 leads actually were in a short clip some time before this drama was filmed. And the kisses that don't happen in this drama...happened in the short clip...haha.

Hide contents

This type of clip made by some indie director is semi-professional and not much of dialogue. The theme is actually "old-story", the story started with a girl and the king, then flashback abit telling us she was a modern girl who fainted and travelled back in time. The king had fell in love with her, mix in a guard who also liked her....then one day she return back to her time....and guess someone follow her too. They used a song for the background but the lyrics aren't that related. Some ppl thought that this a trailer but it's not. That's all it is. 

I would watch that show in your spoiler ;p

8 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

Ya its obviously their strategy to counter Ruyi, which is starting today. The final episodes on 28/8 right? Yesterday was another record high for webdrama. 

how many viewers yesterday.

3 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

I didnt go to the actual weibo and links. But according to these screenshots of sites advertising what episodes they have...most already listed until 69 and even 70 last ep. 

Hide contents

This chinese thread has that screenshot. It also speculate that besides the guilty vietnam source, the huge increase of weibo sites that started to share the links or clips are probably from same source too...thus a lot of speculations.

https://m.douban.com/group/topic/122574722/

wow that sucks .

Ok, let me clear this up: the leak that is known to the Vietnamese is only up to 57, there was no more after that. After the leak, all the Vietnamese online sites have pulled off Yanxi because the broadcast station has bought the rights and only up to ep14, so they pulled it down and wait until the tv station catch up, which will be the end of September.

the company that has the rights to Yanxi to release it online has not made any comments, the Chinese company doesn’t seem to press any charges or take any actions either, so all a bit weird? 

Also, the sub takes 1hr or less including uploading time per episode, that’s how fast the Vietnamese can do the subbing. As soon as they get their hands on the leak video, they can sub very fast. 

Just sidetrack abit, only now i realise for Ru Yi Zhuan, they changed Ling Consort's surname Wei and also the char Ling to other chars/letters that sound alike. 魏 -> 卫 and 令 -> 炩. From wiki (chinese) : 

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/如懿傳#主要角色

Spoiler

由于广电总局认为原著人设扭曲历史人物形象,因而电视剧版把魏嬿婉之姓氏改为同音之“卫”,其徽号令改为同音之“炩”。

It's due to pressure from the govt media dept who felt the drama changed the historical char too much. So it is a way to pass any ban on that drama.

历史上乾隆皇帝一生挚爱认为孝贤皇后富察氏,但因作者写作需要,将挚爱改为继皇后辉发那拉氏。

The above wiki is officially for RYZ, interesting for the changes to Fucha Empress (where Qianlong's true love target become Step Empress)....the sidenote in the wiki said it's due to the writer's need/discretion thus the change. Abit surprised they are frank about this.

Well, i know many feel history might not accurate, and some parts are up to interpretations. FIne with me, i can treat both or even other versions....as just different versions. I might fancy one version over the other, that's my personal liking. Currently perhaps Yanxi's version abit more...though i might watch RYZ for the acting and other stuff. 

• Like 1

The viewership dated 20 aug is out. Still number 1. Sha Hai (Sand sea) is no 2 followed by RYZ which is good for just 1st day.

79aba393gy1fuh32dxo8pj20c80fiwfu.jpg

Backtrack to Yanxi's 1st day on 19 jul...

Spoiler

...only 7th place. But the hype for RYZ is much higher in the 1st place.

79aba393gy1ftg2d7mqztj20c80fita3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Red some trivia...some scenes of Rong Consort who haven't appear yet are cut. She was from a minority race and was supposed to be the basis for the legend of Fragrant consort.

Spoiler

In Yanxi, Rong consort had bad motives....i wont say more. But her background in the drama is now changed to normal han or manchu.

Read that it is due to the censor board who doesnt like the minority group to be portrayed as bad guys or to avoid protests by the minority groups.

Mentioned b4 that some people feel history records were sometimes changed by winners....and thus up to interpretations. But most ppl still feel Fucha empress was Qianlong's 1st and one true love...not just bcos of records....but the Emporer did leave behind 100 over poems dedicated to or mention her. It is unlikely that all these were made up just to create a certain image.

None of his other women received so many poems....most doesnt even have any at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chipz03 said:

Newbie here. I'm very curious to watch this series with eng sub. 

:

:

:

Again,  no offense please.  By no mean i am trying to paint anyone in any bad image as I am just stating my personal opinion. I am not a historian nor I am an expert. This is just a personal observation and opinions. I apologize for any mistakes too. 

Peace all. :blush:

Hi. I might not answer all now. Will add more later.

Yanxi drama no eng sub yet. Will update again.

For Yanxi, though i read some ppl complain similar plots compared to other dramas. But so far not considered as plagiarism which strictly refer to a certain percentage of paragraph and dialogue being found same as from other sources. China side got this method where they align pages with pages (from another drama) and same long sentences and whole paragraph would be highlighted. Zhen Huan Zhuan was found guilty by experts. As for Ru Yi Zhuan, they also found some parts but i had read some fans argued against it. Perhaps it is still ongoing bcos it is newer.

Ok...think need to explain abit about Zhen Huan Zhuan 1st. 

Spoiler

Zhen Huan Zhuan is a novel written by Liu Lian Zi in 2007. The story and chars actually are not Qing Dynasty but a made up Zhou country. What happened is the author who also work as scriptwriter for the 2011 drama adapted her novel into Qing dynasty Yongzhen period. 

One possible reason being it is easier to work with the Qing costume and buildings than some ancient period drama. And also Yongzhen's relationship info (in history) is abit "empty" as he was very hardworking, less into women ...said compared to Qianlong. So easier to "slide in" her novel into that period....w/o changing too much history records.

But dont u feel the overall flow of Zhen Huan Zhuang is mildly similiar to the real history of Qianlong instead? The 3 empresses. One kindhearted, most loved and 1st love died early. 2nd one was more of respected by him, then did wrong and was imprisoned. The last one most likely well-loved too but never reigned as empress. In ZHZ became dowager empress. In Yongzhen history made empress after death. Almost like a mirror btw both stories.

Then she started to write Ru Yi Zhuan and this time it is really based on YongZhen period. And rather than focus on the last woman....she chose the 2nd one who would be imprisoned. In a way it would challenging to write what happen to her....besides of that mentioned in history records.

Now come to the parts i am not comfortable with. So the writer for the purpose for making her female lead stand out....change the chars around her....their typical known image from history records.

In the novel, sort of towards the middle...there are alot of scheming and Qianlong slowly misundertood her. Then towards the end she cut her hair in protest of the emperor enjoying some women during his trip outside the palace. The rest follow history that she was imprisoned and died of illness not long after. But the novel add the emperor realised the schemes of the other consorts and forgave the step empress. BUT he chose not to seek redress for her bcos he wanted her soul to be "free"...ok...that's what i read from a short summary of the novel.  * but still a bit extreme in real history for him to execute an official who asked for better treatment for her burial.

I can accept Qianlong might love and dote on her at certain period....and she might be as pure hearted as the novel described. but the writer made her the most loved instead of Fucha and also change Fucha to be abit of villain though not the worst or most scheming one. The other ladies eg Ling consort....i am open to changes. But Fucha empress's real history info is quite detailed.

So really not used to these changes.

And supporters either say history is up to different intepretations...or some just said the novel is partly fiction....no need to follow strictly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

The viewership dated 20 aug is out. Still number 1. Sha Hai (Sand sea) is no 2 followed by RYZ which is good for just 1st day.

Backtrack to Yanxi's 1st day on 19 jul...

Hide contents

...only 7th place. But the hype for RYZ is much higher in the 1st place.

RYZ?

8 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Red some trivia...some scenes of Rong Consort who haven't appear yet are cut. She was from a minority race and was supposed to be the basis for the legend of Fragrant consort.

Hide contents

In Yanxi, Rong consort had bad motives....i wont say more. But her background in the drama is now changed to normal han or manchu.

Read that it is due to the censor board who doesnt like the minority group to be portrayed as bad guys or to avoid protests by the minority groups.

Mentioned b4 that some people feel history records were sometimes changed by winners....and thus up to interpretations. But most ppl still feel Fucha empress was Qianlong's 1st and one true love...not just bcos of records....but the Emporer did leave behind 100 over poems dedicated to or mention her. It is unlikely that all these were made up just to create a certain image.

None of his other women received so many poems....most doesnt even have any at all.

While he loved Fucha alot i still think he loved Ulanara alot as well before the drama happened. 

35 minutes ago, Wotad said:

While he loved Fucha alot i still think he loved Ulanara alot as well before the drama happened. 

Before the drama happened? Which drama? U mean Yanxi? U mean yanxi twist the original history? Want to say more but everyone has their own view. 

23 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Before the drama happened? Which drama? U mean Yanxi? U mean yanxi twist the original history? Want to say more but everyone has their own view. 

All these shows twist history somewhat Fucha was obviously loved alot but clearly so was Ulanara at the start or she wouldnt have become the longest serving empress.

6 hours ago, chipz03 said:

Newbie here. I'm very curious to watch this series with eng sub. 

I've gotten interested on Qianlong and Consort Ling since Princess Huan Zhu. When I heard Zhen Huan Zhuan (zhz) will be getting a sequel starring Qianlong,  I was hyped, but was soon bummed to read the synopsis of RY painting Ling Fei (LF)  as villain. 

Reveal hidden contents

Regarding popularity,  I think  it's not surprising that RY might even dethrone Yanxi (YX) . Due to the hype of it being ZHZ sequel considering how successful ZHZ was,  grand production,  and big name and much more popular actor and actress with I think bigger fandoms (like Zhou Xun. Wallace Huo, and Joan Chen (I believe?)), and curiosity on how this series will compare against YX

I just gotta say though: my initial excitement upon hearing sequel to ZHZ was diminished by several factors:

1.It doesn't help that the general plot of RY when I read was quite similar to ZHZ, at least from my pov with the concubine backstabbing each others. Err... Sounds familiar to me. YX has this elements as well but at least the main heroine didn't accept bullying quietly since the get go and shorter episodes :lol: With characters that piqued my interest more,  so, I chose the lesser of the evils (figuratively speaking, I'm not saying and these two are evil).

2. I was even more bummed with the drastically different portrayal of Fucha empress (even long before yanxi aired). Like mentioned before,  it's been accepted that QL loves her the most,  and records have described her as completely the opposite of the villain image.  And,  from a personal opinion,  one of my enjoyment in watching series with historical events or characters is if the fiction part caN align nicely with the actual known history.  I feel ZHZ did this nicely (like how they craft the story on why no record of a 2nd ula nara empress ( Yixiu character) while giving the satisfaction of the protagonist finally defeat the antagonist and she was actually alive to serve the cold dish of revenge. 

it feels less satisfying to know the protagonist in RY was "defeated"  in real life,  even long after her death (she was buried beside Imperial Concubine Chun like a maid,  if I am not mistaken) while not only the "antagonists" got to be buried as empresses should, one even got her son to be emperor and posthumously elevated to empress. It's aggravating for me (I know.. I know it's just story,  but still.aggravating just the same ^_^). 

3. how the series seem to change plot points from ZHZ (example: I thought Hongli didn't like ruyi character? Wasn't Empress Yixiu deliberately married RY character off to Hongli, whom she thought wasnt favoured by Yongzheng emperor,  as secondary wife to give QY a lesson for offending her?  Wasn't ZH the heroine?  

4. The plagiarism possibility that the author was accused. My enjoyment toward ZHZ was greatly diminished when I heard the author was allegedly accused of plagiarisms for ZH novel and RY novel.  Whhyy?  I love ZH tv series.  The storyline, the costumes (gosh,  the headpieces, jewelries were magnificent. The best out of these three (YZ,  RY,  ZHZ) productions). And its dissapointing to know the plagiarism issue.  One of the reason I refused to enjoy Three Lives series (the megahit starring YM) was the plagiarism accusations against its author too.  :huh:

Regarding the history,  while it could be true that history often skewed to better portray tbe winner as some mentioned, in case of QL and his empresses and how they were portrayed in RY:

1. Like mentioned before,  if he didn't really love fucha,  why the poems he wrote that were recorded in history? I watched some documentaries and the consensus among historians were in support of Fucha being QL true love (unless I misunderstood or remembered wrongly,  then I stand corrected).

2. How can he seem to despise Nara empress so much if she was his true love?  To the point that years after her death,  he didn't seem to forgive her and let her be buried besides Chun Consort, after giving her a much scaled down funeral?  People who begged for her was punished years after her death?  

3. If Ling Fei was truly evil, wouldn't QL know though?  Why did he honored her as Ling Yi Huang Gueifei (again I might  be wrong as my Chinese skill not Good)? Why did he choose her son as his successor, which he proceed to elevate her as empress long after her death? And,  why did he let her be buried near him?

At this point,  I haven't been able to wrap my head around the portrayals of characters in RY :unsure:

Anyway. i am just stating my personal opinion please.  Different people have differing opinions and I respect that.  No offense please,  as it wasn't my intention at all. 

I was apprehensive when I knew the producer of YanXi (YX) and so far no plagiarism issue for YX am I correct?  (guilty simply by association because of the producer's track record on other unrelated productions instead of actual allegations (with proofs) on this series doesn't count. So,  more green light for me to enjoy the series I guess? :D

Again,  no offense please.  By no mean i am trying to paint anyone in any bad image as I am just stating my personal opinion. I am not a historian nor I am an expert. This is just a personal observation and opinions. I apologize for any mistakes too. 

Peace all. :blush:

Regarding alot of your spoilers you complain that Ruyi has changed stuff but so has Yan XI and so did empresses in the palace. 

QL may have loved Fucha the most maybe? we dont really know for sure but he loved Ulanara before she cut her hair . 

Ruyi's maybe be a sequel to empresses but treat them as different shows not connected.

RY decided to have Ulanara as a nice person at least at the start and this is not really changing history because we dont really know what she was like at all she could have been evil or good but history does not really say. 

4 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Hi. I might not answer all now. Will add more later.

Yanxi drama no eng sub yet. Will update again.

For Yanxi, though i read some ppl complain similar plots compared to other dramas. But so far not considered as plagiarism which strictly refer to a certain percentage of paragraph and dialogue being found same as from other sources. China side got this method where they align pages with pages (from another drama) and same long sentences and whole paragraph would be highlighted. Zhen Huan Zhuan was found guilty by experts. As for Ru Yi Zhuan, they also found some parts but i had read some fans argued against it. Perhaps it is still ongoing bcos it is newer.

Ok...think need to explain abit about Zhen Huan Zhuan 1st. 

Hide contents

Zhen Huan Zhuan is a novel written by Liu Lian Zi in 2007. The story and chars actually are not Qing Dynasty but a made up Zhou country. What happened is the author who also work as scriptwriter for the 2011 drama adapted her novel into Qing dynasty Yongzhen period. 

One possible reason being it is easier to work with the Qing costume and buildings than some ancient period drama. And also Yongzhen's relationship info (in history) is abit "empty" as he was very hardworking, less into women ...said compared to Qianlong. So easier to "slide in" her novel into that period....w/o changing too much history records.

But dont u feel the overall flow of Zhen Huan Zhuang is mildly similiar to the real history of Qianlong instead? The 3 empresses. One kindhearted, most loved and 1st love died early. 2nd one was more of respected by him, then did wrong and was imprisoned. The last one most likely well-loved too but never reigned as empress. In ZHZ became dowager empress. In Yongzhen history made empress after death. Almost like a mirror btw both stories.

Then she started to write Ru Yi Zhuan and this time it is really based on YongZhen period. And rather than focus on the last woman....she chose the 2nd one who would be imprisoned. In a way it would challenging to write what happen to her....besides of that mentioned in history records.

Now come to the parts i am not comfortable with. So the writer for the purpose for making her female lead stand out....change the chars around her....their typical known image from history records.

In the novel, sort of towards the middle...there are alot of scheming and Qianlong slowly misundertood her. Then towards the end she cut her hair in protest of the emperor enjoying some women during his trip outside the palace. The rest follow history that she was imprisoned and died of illness not long after. But the novel add the emperor realised the schemes of the other consorts and forgave the step empress. BUT he chose not to seek redress for her bcos he wanted her soul to be "free"...ok...that's what i read from a short summary of the novel.  * but still a bit extreme in real history for him to execute an official who asked for better treatment for her burial.

I can accept Qianlong might love and dote on her at certain period....and she might be as pure hearted as the novel described. but the writer made her the most loved instead of Fucha and also change Fucha to be abit of villain though not the worst or most scheming one. The other ladies eg Ling consort....i am open to changes. But Fucha empress's real history info is quite detailed.

So really not used to these changes.

And supporters either say history is up to different intepretations...or some just said the novel is partly fiction....no need to follow strictly. 

Maybe while She was alive she was the most loved until she died the emperor never only ever loved one person. 

51 minutes ago, Wotad said:

All these shows twist history somewhat Fucha was obviously loved alot but clearly so was Ulanara at the start or she wouldnt have become the longest serving empress.

Regarding alot of your spoilers you complain that Ruyi has changed stuff but so has Yan XI and so did empresses in the palace. 

QL may have loved Fucha the most maybe? we dont really know for sure but he loved Ulanara before she cut her hair . 

Ruyi's maybe be a sequel to empresses but treat them as different shows not connected.

RY decided to have Ulanara as a nice person at least at the start and this is not really changing history because we dont really know what she was like at all she could have been evil or good but history does not really say. 

Maybe while She was alive she was the most loved until she died the emperor never only ever loved one person. 

Can we leave it as it is? This is Yanxi's thread. Naturally fans of this drama would believe more in this drama. If not b'cos chipz03 is curious about the differences in both drama, i won't need to give so much of my own opinions. 

We didn't go to Ruyi's thread to say anything like disbelief of that drama. I believe it's best not to spoil the mood in each thread.

• Like 1