[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

Sidetrack abit....there will be a short side story of this drama...by same company. Some past dramas eg Lost Love in Time also have such side story with a few supporting chars becoming the leads.

Not sure how many of the original actors will be in. And also not sure when will they broadcast it after this drama end.

It is about the daughter of Ling Consort , Fu Kang An ("Fuheng" 's son), a mongolian prince (thus the hairstyle) and another girl (daughter of Hong Zong, bro of Qianlong). Probably a light-hearted romance btw the 4 who will eventually pair off.

Chinese article with pics.

https://www.elle.com/tw/entertainment/drama/g22766781/yanxi-palace-side-story/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Think not official records. 

What is known is Fuheng's wife is said to the most beautiful (or at least one of) woman at that time. Not the "Erqing" as in the drama here. The rumor is Qianlong noticed her when she came to the palace for the Empress's birthday dinner. Then when she left the venue for a while, Qianlong followed her somewhere and.....u know.

Why people suspect about the son...is bcos Qianlong doted on him since birth aside from his own sons. Of course it could be just bcos he is cute or he is his nephew.

As for the Fucha Empress's death...probably not related bcos the timing was slightly off btw the events. But of course not sure when she found out (if really above is true). The more official reason was her body was weakened by previous illnesses, giving birth plus depression too (just a few months after her son died). They went on a long trip outside palace...and on historical record, Qianlong regret not knowing her full health status. She fell sick during the trip....they decided to take the boat...maybe to avoid the shaking of the carriage. But she died on the boat.

Yea, all speculation :) even the version I read said the wife noticed Qianlong like her, and kinda leading him on in a way/doesn’t mind the attention he gave her.

i don’t think the timing is off. It was said that the queen’s heart (her love for Qianlong) die after realising her husband vanished with her brother’s wife, then the multiple dead of her sons did her in. It’s totally understandable if your husband won’t let go of any woman of his desires and the children you love die before you. And it’s not just one child for her, it’s three, and some was so young. I would be heartbroken if that happens to me :(

4 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

Yes i love that she is consistent throughout the show. So we have a pretty boy Fuheng and a manly emperor here. Who interest you more? :love:

Pretty boy Fuheng.  

That emperor still turns me off. 

1 hour ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Yea, all speculation :) even the version I read said the wife noticed Qianlong like her, and kinda leading him on in a way/doesn’t mind the attention he gave her.

i don’t think the timing is off. It was said that the queen’s heart (her love for Qianlong) die after realising her husband vanished with her brother’s wife, then the multiple dead of her sons did her in. It’s totally understandable if your husband won’t let go of any woman of his desires and the children you love die before you. And it’s not just one child for her, it’s three, and some was so young. I would be heartbroken if that happens to me :(

Anyway, these are just wild tales. Which is used in several novels and dramas. Guess it made things dramatic. Just like how Qianlong might be a child of a Han woman...and even some novels put him as step-brothers with some hero in anti-manchu organisation. Same goes for the popular stories of Yongzhen where his father initially wrote 14th (prince) on the hidden decree...then they changed it to 4th by adding a stroke to a letter. 

Was watching Legend of Ruyi since Legend of Zhen Huan is my #1 favorite show of all time. I feel like Legend of Ruyi is thus far not really living up to Legend of Zhen Huan (though those are pretty high standards) but it's... alright. 

Going to start watching this one. Don't have high expectations for it, but it sounds interesting enough. 

The opening scene about soiling clothes... is that not almost the same as Legend of Zhen Huan's scene? ,_, I have to admit, I like the main actress, though. I feel like there's something..more to her. 

22 hours ago, cheeriekwan said:

@xiayu1023 i like the fact that most of the characters aint perfect esp the emperor and Yingluo. They both have soft spots but not forgetting their positions and responsibilities. So far, only Fuca empress and Fu Heng are more perfect and yet they made mistakes too. 

@Wotad the young chap is Fu Heng, the brother of Fuca empress and Yingluo's first love. 

got a major crush on FU Heng hes cute.

I take it they dont end up together. 

This is why im excited for Queen Dugu about Emperor Wen of Sui who i personally think is one of the emperor's .

@mrsj3n @Wotad me too initially fuheng but the emperor is growing on me. Being a ruler, no doubt he is pretty cruel sometimes but he has soft spot for yingluo and their interactions are very funny throughout.

Yingluo has chemistry with both fuheng n the emperor. I like the emperor acting more and Fuheng is still acceptable as a newbie.

13 minutes ago, cheeriekwan said:

@mrsj3n @Wotad me too initially fuheng but the emperor is growing on me. Being a ruler, no doubt he is pretty cruel sometimes but he has soft spot for yingluo and their interactions are very funny throughout.

Yingluo has chemistry with both fuheng n the emperor. I like the emperor acting more and Fuheng is still acceptable as a newbie.

I agree, I really like the Emperor and their funny scenes together -- especially his temper tantrums!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cheeriekwan said:

Bts with spoilers. Charmaine speaks in cantonese during filming.

Ya, she is from HK. She can speak mandarin/chinese but i guess she won't look natural and fluid with it (together with expressing emotions)....even though they dubbed her voice.

But she did try to end each of her lines with chinese language....so as her co-actors can understand the end of each line and continue with their parts.

Happy Camp, a variety show last weekend got the actors as guest. There is a part where they acted out a simplified stage version of the love btw Qianlong and Fucha. The actor as Qianlong wasn't there so they got a replacement (who acted in Fuyao). 

It started with Fucha passing away. Then flashback to their wedding night where their younger versions were acted by "Fuheng" and "Yingluo" (a dream fulfilled for the fans..haha)...then about the death of their son (symbolised by the locket)....and Fucha being touched by Qianlong's decree about naming the son as Crown Prince. After some time, she was no longer around and Qianlong often pined for her. The song used was Bai Yue Guang, White Moonlight. It actually has a meaning of a perfect someone to a person....as gentle and beautiful as the moonlight....yet unattainable when u try to grab it. Another meaning is since she doesn't stay long with u, she's flawless. For Qianlong, it's Fucha. For Zhenhuan story's Yongzheng, it's his Chun Yuan. 

Sorry, no sub.

• Like 3

I had a good laugh watching in Cantonese of Episode 19 where Ying Luo equate Qian Long to a famed courtesan in a brothel because he bestow his presence/favours to those who the family's help he needed.

It was to make him throw some clot blood in his system but Qian Long did not buy the excuse because if she did not see him that way, she will not have spoken so fluently on the topic.

• Like 2

I think the most refreshing thing in this show is that the female lead is blatantly sharp-tongued, vicious and vengeful. She's also remorselessly physically aggressive. Those aren't common characteristics in female leads for Chinese dramas and, in addition to the intricate props/decent acting, it's what's really selling this drama for me. Although a lot of dialogue/actions are modernized and the plot isn't as layered as some other palace shows, I really like the direction they took with the female lead.

• Like 4

Not intending to offend any fans here, but just wanted to give my personal opinion. Both Yanxi and Ruyi are historical fiction and it is only natural that certain characters/facts must be creatively interpreted to create a dramatic and engaging storyline. But Yanxi falls very short on three points:

(1) Terrible acting, almost making this a 偶像剧 work. Wu Jingyan's expressions are monotonous, lack of maturity in her eyes, and even supposedly spending years in the palace, her character still reeks of a ungrown teenager trying to behave like an adult. And the fact that everyone here is commenting how good-looking Fuheng is, just adds testament that most of us are focused not on his acting (unless anyone here thinks he has done well portraying the image of a valiant conquering general). 

(2) Plot is too fairy-tale alike. The protagonist Wei Yingluo seems to be a master of everything, being topnotch in sewing, reading people characters, predicting outcomes, anticipating bad situations, etc. And wait, she's only 18? It feeds well into our desire to see good triumph over evil, but much too quickly. And it does not obey the common sense that all humans have weaknesses. Wei Yingluo is simply like a superhero, with extraordinary skills and intellect, but the audience is not challenged to accompany her on an emotional journey of discovery and growth, watching her only to vanquish villains who are comparatively only half par. 

(3) Predictable and exaggerated characters. Evil roles are portrayed like they came from hell, from the make up to their clothes, and their facial expressions. Would any sane emperor even fall in love those concubines as portrayed, constantly carrying a heinous face with a devilish look? 

Ruyi, on the other hand, boasts of a much more experienced crew, and though the storyline does not pip our natural instincts as quickly as Yanxi's, I enjoyed their balance between good/evil, and the slower and more realistic development of characters. Having watched perhaps too many 清宫剧 by now, Ruyi is one that still glues me to the screen, way much more than Yanxi. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dacok said:

x

Have you ever sen Empresses in the Palace/Legend of ZhenHuan? The prequel of Legend of Ruyi. 

I definitely agree that Ruyi boasts a more mature script and realistic characters (that seems to be the specialty of the writer; crazily complex character dynamics and layered dialogues). I feel like your observations are very much on-point. As far as Mary Sue character quality or stiff acting goes, this is not the absolute worst I've seen, though. 

The star studded posters of RY already tempted me to watch. Yanxi is definitely a lower budget drama. Its obvious from the cast, props and costumes. As the female lead, Wu Jingyan's pay is pretty low but i think her acting is not bad (at least for me). We cant compare Yingluo and Fuhengs acting with the veteran Qin Lan (Fuca empress) and Nie Yuan (emperor) but their characters are decent and fun to watch. 

I started watching this without knowing any of the cast. Somehow YXs story and pace are so captivating. It was so enjoyable that i do not feel that i have gone through a ride of 65 episodes already...lol.  Yes another 5 to go!

Just some trivia on Wu Jing Yan 吴谨言.

She is already 28yo. Born in Beijing, 1990. She was a ballet dancer.

Spoiler

Entered Beijing Dance Academy in 2000 and danced in National Ballet of China from 2007-09 but quit after injury. Then she went to Beijing Film Academy in 2009 and debuted around 2011. Her previous roles were either small roles or even with bigger roles, the dramas weren't well-known type. Until 2017 after signed under Yu Zheng's company, she got more exposure and attention eg the Dowager Empress in Untouchable Lovers 凤囚凰.

Perhaps her body shape (her neck is abit long) is suited to ballet? i am not 100% sure. 

t0109a374ce3ac44f24.jpg?size=450x632

Think her exposure will continue until next year....she got 5 dramas still either being filmed or already filmed but not shown yet. The 2 more well-known ones would be again period dramas.....朝歌 Zhao Ge and 皓镧传 Legend of Han Lan. 

But actually i quite like her modern drama image. A fan clip of 守护丽人 Guardian of Beauty (2017). 2nd female lead.

If her eyes are abit lifeless in Yanxi, she was more expressive in other dramas which led me to think probably it's a portrayal decision in Yanxi.

Some stills and storyline of Haolan....the drama starring her and also Nie Yuan (the emperor in Yanxi)

• Like 1

Some trivia on the 5th prince Yongqi :

Spoiler

In the Yanxi drama, he suffered many near-death situations. Many viewers would comment his birth and growing up is so difficult. Another ongoing tease is btw him and Fucha empress....b'cos Qin Lan who acted the empress also played the char Zhi Hua in My Fair Princess...she married Yong qi despite him loving Xiao Yan Zi...so the joke is she had to died early and incarnated in time as Zhi Hua.

Ok back to Yong Qi....despite all the lucky saves (in Yanxi drama)....in real history, he died at 25yo of an illness....sigh. All these romantic stories in My Fair Princess are made up....there was no Xiao Yan Zi and impossible for him to leave the palace and lived as commoner at end of the series. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yongqi,_Prince_Rong

Btw when he appeared as adult in Yanxi's drama....his bald head look very...errr....big....i suspect he didn't shave off his hair....he wore a skin cover....and thus look big. 

• LOL 2