[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

20 hours ago, mistergenie said:

@charray

As there are only 6 episodes left, I am beginning to think the drama would be more about how various people come to join the RA but we probably would not see any battles being fought due to the timeline being from 1900 to 1905. 

I say this very politely but I don't get the insistence of some of the fans for more RA and RA related activities to take center stage. The root of this story is a romance between a lowborn foreigner and an aristocrat lady. The RA, Japan's slow annexation of Joseon etc are just providing the backdrop/setting for this romance. In other words, the RA and its activities etc are secondary to the plot.

like to see him resolve the duality of straddling 2 countries and determine where his home and country should lie whether in America or Joseon and firmly stand on the side of his choice

In Eugene's own words from E18, the best thing for him is to be a loyal American soldier, through and through. Given the volatile times that Joseon is headed towards, there is no benefit to Eugene in committing himself to being a Joseon man now - it only places him at a disadvantage. The Americans may never fully accept him but Eugene can use his identity as an American citizen both to his benefit and the benefit of Ae Shin, should, nay, when the need arises. He is far better better placed to affect outcomes as an American than as a Joseonite.

The only acceptable reason that I can think of is if Ae Shin’s Grandfather asked him to do it (to cut off her ties to the family).

Why would Grandpa Go willingly deprive Ae Shin of the protection/safety/security that comes from being a member of a noble family. But I do admit that It is a possibility.

Or if it is part of a plot with RA to spy for RA by working for Colonel Mori or with Lee Wan Ik. In the latter case of spying for the RA, Ae Shin would understand as it is for a bigger cause and she is even prepared to give up her life for the bigger cause.

Too convoluted. Why would the RA suddenly start trusting Dong Mae and use him to spy on Mori or WI? From what we have been shown,the  Potter is a very very careful and shrewd guy - he has cultivated the RA members over years and years. No way would he risk that by working with someone new like Dong Mae.

@mistergenie  I am not looking for more or less RA action. It is just a speculation of the direction of the drama for the remaining 6 episodes.

I came expecting a story about a man who left Joseon as a young boy and stowed away on a ship to America and returned as an American soldier many years later and fell in love with a Joseon noblewoman. Exactly as what the synopsis had described. And I got what I expected and had not been disappointed so far and I am fully on board the love story between Eugene and Ae Shin which had so captivated me. :)

Actually, I was merely providing the reasons for Dong Mae’s action which would be acceptable to me. As for the likelihood, I also think the one about Grandpa asking Dong Mae to do it is pretty weak but then the preview (if we are to believe it) shows Grandpa asking Dong Mae to protect Ae Shin so it is a remote possibility.

I think the one on Dong Mae spying on Colonel Mōri or Lee Wan Ik has higher probability. Minister Lee Jung Mun is somewhat unconventional with his moves or who he recruits to work for him like how he suggested to the King to meet with Eugene to get him to be on the side of Joseon in earlier episodes and how he chose Seung Gu to be the head of palace security. So he might have strategic reasons to recruit Dong Mae to spy for him. I also recalled that the female double spy (the one that Hina is monitoring) is the one to give Hina the intel of Dong Mae been shot. And the person shooting Dong Mae is a member of the RA. This is a possibility.

Let’s wait for episode 19. :D

• Like 4

@mistergenie

I see a white bowl, but the shape seems different. Interesting anyway.... at least we are kept busy thinking while we wait for the next episode.  Next time I will not begin watching a serie unless all the episodes are all released... 

I found a picture of the whole granpa room here https://thewritersroomchennai.in/2018/08/25/mr-sunshine-episode-16-recap/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, marfisa said:

I found a picture of the whole granpa room here https://thewritersroomchennai.in/2018/08/25/mr-sunshine-episode-16-recap/

@marfisa  Thanks for the link to site. I can see that this site is also doing recaps of Mr Sunshine which I found to be unbiased and accurate based on what is depicted on the screen. 

• Like 3

@rubie, thank you for your kind words. I am enjoying that too much so I always have to control myself not to write too long.

@charray, that woman is not the lday Kang(who is double spy). But I have a suspicion that the hanged woman we see in preview is lady Kang.

Under the real life stuff :tears: to check out everything in this thread, but i found this today. Please enjoy!

let me know if this is already here! 

• Like 6

The PPL FORCE is strong. 721.gif After the Russian Doll, here comes the MR.SUNSHINE LEGO/Brick Toys feat. Glory Hotel, the Paris Bakery and the Hanseong Tram.

Source: Oxford Korea via Chungmuro Crumb

This one is from a fan's personal collection.. which is quite a cool replicate ^_^

Credit: Dong-Uck Kong

Spoiler

• Like 8

First time here. I found this forum because I've been dying to discuss Mr. Sunshine with someone, and I don't know anyone else who is watching it! Please forgive me if I repeat some things others have covered- I only read the last 10 or so pages, and looked at the first 5 or 6 and a few others in between, as I searched out specific topics and characters. Hard to keep up!

Does anyone else think Kyle Moore will somehow end up being a bad guy? I can't think of what other purpose he serves, other than to give Eugene someone to speak to in English. (Also, I'm bothered by the use of Kyle as his name. It may have seemed like a typical American name to the writer, but it was extremely uncommon in 1860 or so, when the character would have been born.)

Are there any hints about Hina's mother? For a while, I thought Hina and Ae-Sin would end up being sisters, and that Wan-Ik had murdered his own (former) wife!

What's up with Hotaru? Poor thing's clearly in love with Dong-Mae. When Hee-Sung asked if she was his sister, and Dong-Mae said no, they just live together, then Hee-Sung said something like "I didn't know you had a wife" and Dong-Maw said "You know who I like"... I noticed Dong-Mae didn't exactly say they weren't married, did he? I wonder if they have a marriage of convenience. I don't know how Japanese citizenship worked back then, but might marrying her have been for him to become legally Japanese? She's way closer to him than the other guys, and he obviously cares about her, but he has Ae-Sin on a very high pedestal.

Speaking of Dong-Mae and Ae-Sin... THE HAIR! Some people here have given some theories. I think it's going to come back to the idea that cutting your hair, in the old Confucian way of thinking, was an act of disrespect toward your parents. Men at that time were cutting their hair to modernize and Westernize, but women had no reason to cut their hair, since Western women in those days had long hair, too. Dong-Mae had just found out that Lee Wan-Ik was looking into her parents as potential rebels, and when she confirmed that she wasn't going to turn from that path, he created a situation where she would look, for all the world to see, like she had a made a public declaration against her family, or at least her parents. And, of course, he did it in the most Don-Mae way possible. 

I figured, from the beginning, that Ae-Sin would end up with one of her three men, one would become a rebel, and one would die for her or for their cause. Dong-Mae surviving the shooting. Threw my theory off. 

Ooh, one more thing- when Ae-Sin was playing with the Russian nesting doll, did anyone else think she might find a secret message from Joseph? Or was that just me?

No, two more things- how many episodes? Netflix seems to indicate 22 (meaning 4 more), but some people are talking very recently about 6 more? Are there 22 or 24?

Edited by burningpotato
fixed a spelling, added a sentence
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, burningpotato said:

Does anyone else think Kyle Moore will somehow end up being a bad guy? I can't think of what other purpose he serves, other than to give Eugene someone to speak to in English. (Also, I'm bothered by the use of Kyle as his name. It may have seemed like a typical American name to the writer, but it was extremely uncommon in 1860 or so, when the character would have been born.)

Thanks for bringing up this topic. Kyle is kind of a cheesy character for me and I agree, right now his only purpose is to show off LBH's English speaking abilities :D That aside, you might be right, but I'm not expecting Kyle to become a villain in a traditional sense - he will play an American consciousness of CE. With this I mean, he will try to remind EC that he is American and that his duties lie there and might somehow end up messing his plans of helping AS and fighting for Joseon's independence. US wasn't exactly there to play a hero - they will back down after Japan's annexation and this is where EC will end up having problems because he won't be able to help AS or the RA in any way, might even be forced to leave the country.  

• Like 7

Published on September 2, 2018 by Stone Music Entertainment

September 4, 2018

Baek Ji Young – See You Again (Mr. Sunshine OST Part 11)

BY POPGASA // iLyricsBuzz (Romanization)

See your eyes
See your face
My heart kept pounding

See your face
See your eyes
So I knew I placed you in my heart

Because this moment is more precious
Than any other moment I lived through in this world

All of the time that wrapped around you
I kept each piece like it was air

Love that’s so painful that it’s sad
It stands each night with a strange face

It tells me
That it knows the path the wind takes

I’ll be there
Can we be together?

See your eyes
See your face
Tears keep falling

What I have
What it can’t be
It’s all useless

Because in this world
I can’t call out your name
No matter where I am

Our love that hurt so much
It stands each night with a strange face

It tells me
That it knows the path the wind takes

I’ll be there
Can we be together?

I’ll be there
I’ll be there

After everything scatters
We can meet
It all hurts

At that place, we’re smiling together
I’ll be there

See you again

ms243.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Found another site with recaps for Mr Sunshine below. (This sadly shows that I have no life while waiting for Mr Sunshine to air on weekends.) :confounded: 

Even though the recapper’s favourite character is Dong Mae, her recaps and comments are objective and unbiased and show her interest/ enjoyment in watching the show.

I had enjoyed reading her recaps and comments. Though there are a few instances of mixed up names/ identities like Domi and Dong Mae but it will not create any issues as you will know if you had watched the show.

https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/category/mr_sunshine/

Another video edit from Mrsunshinenetflix IG, this one is on the cute scene in episode 18.

• Like 9

Lord Go going on a public protest

The elders kicking a fuss over everything

Japanese soldiers invade her home 

American soldiers came to intervene

Stop it. I go by myself. Do not touch.

mrsun18_01.gif

What's going through Lady Ae Shin's mind at this point? Apprehensive, angry, confused .. relief?

• Like 7