[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, tzupi said:

I do not know. But the whole discussion between the two is quite strange.

First, he says that he will give her one last chance. Then he tells us not to get involved more. Then he cut her hair.

I do not understand what this last chance is. At some moments, what he says to her sounds similar to what he said to the guy who later shot him (when he was curious why that guy would risk his life for defending the country).

Moreover, do they talk loud enough to be heard by the bystanders?!

On another topic: I am wondering whether the recruits would create problems for Eugene. He is the guarantor of one of them, and they seem to be foolish enough to try to kill LWI. And Eugene appears to make sometimes mistakes: like the blunder with the bullets. I think he realized that they are up to something, probably he guesses what, but sometimes he forgets that he has to act on the information he has. I'm afraid that now focused as he is on the new Japanese commander, he is more prone to making mistakes.

Yeah, strange indeed.  He knows LWI is looking into AS's parents.  Is AS going through the Japanese section of town? Could this be acting on DM's part to have the public confrontation be reported back to LWI.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-09-03 00.00.57

From the preview, @miracle23, it's Colone Takashi Mori - EC's old acquaintance.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-09-02 23.45.13

Credit: Netflix

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

*delete*

Thank you ladies for the input. 

@tzupi and @bedifferent One question. In the confrontation he asked her why she chose these dangerous decisions. And then those don't do this and that. Then she answered she does not regret her choices/decisions/actions (that is her answer). Then he said he will be the man of use for her from the moment on even if he ends up becoming everybody's enemy including her. Then he cut her hair. Was he thinking for AS to lay low for the time being and let him do the dangerous things that she wants until it's ok to be in action again because WI is currently eyeing her movements? Having the Japanese soldiers filling up the town will do no good to her wandering around even with her servants in tow.

This seminar is killing me with boredom *sigh*

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

We know LWI is trying  to kill Lord Go first so that people will see him as more powerful than the new villain, T.Mori. And we also know the Emperor (for once) made a smart decision to detain Lord Go to actually protect him. But why did the Emperor agrees to let Lord Go go (ok, pun intended..hehe) when he knew LWI is up to no good? What is the significant of the Emperor's latest decision? Because the Emperor seemed to act as if he was actually in the advantage when he made that decision. Even LWI was surprised. 

@inna75 Do you think it's a trap for LWI, using Lord Go as bait luring LWI to make his next move?  I'm more concerned about the preview where it shows the peasants fighting against the nobleman? Previews are misleading I know :)

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-09-02 23.43.20Screenshot 2018-09-02 23.43.47

Love the fiery red dress on Hina here.  She's a fighter this one.  

Screenshot 2018-09-03 00.58.38Screenshot 2018-09-03 00.58.59

Spoiler

@miracle23  well, I'm not the smart one here so would have to defer the question to @tzupi. hahaha I only know I have no idea what KES wants to convey at the end of E18 :lol:

• Like 6

@KDramaLogic

thank you very much! This is saving my life, eheh, as I can watch the new episodes and understand them with the help of the instant recapping by dramamilk.  I was so unhappy that netflix was airing the episode late... we are just at the 14th episode released here, while the release of the episodes in the world is already  at the 18th... I couldn’t stand it anymore!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mistymorning said:

@miracle23, On "A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. "

By the Confucian belief, all body parts are from your parents and you may not damage it. This is considered as a filial duty. Along with being loyal to the king, filial duty is considered the one of the 2 major virtues in the Joseon Society. This esp. true for men. For women, they're allowed to cut her hair to sell it, supporting their married family. But... there is no such need for Aeshin. And remember, even though she's an RA sniper, she is also trained by Confucian philosophy in the most renowned Confucian scholar family. 

If she did it herself like Eugene did, we can consider this as AS cutting ties with old traditional ways. - not cutting ties with your parents, you'll never be able to cut ties with your parents in Joseon unless your parents cut it.  - But DM did it, and I'm planning to come back with recap of that part later, from my viewing DM did it to stop Aeshin from risking herself by fighting as RA. This is urgh... DM forcing his will on AS even though she didn't, and doesn't want any of his opinions.

And you can see from next episode she's out in western clothing as sniper again. So what did DM achieve from his behavior? Nothing!  Except smearing already tarnished AS's name, doing that in public. This is crazy stuff even by modern standard, unthinkable in that time.

KES is writing DM on really fine line, being part of love square... he's going over step constantly. I know this is DM's characterization, but urgh........ any hope of AS reciprocation of DM's love is gone. Only thing left is probably friend, at best.

So the significance of cutting a noble woman's hair is to humiliate her in front of the public. Was the humiliation a strategy of DM to make her stop on what DM perceives she will do against Joseon's enemies later on? DM thinks that WI will now find out that AS parents are part of the Righteous Army and that AS could also be a member and will be in danger. So DM is still trying to protect AS from evil people in a brusque manner. Bad boy DM. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ilovejasminnie said:

Did none of the three leading men attended the wrap up party? I don't see any photos of them. Anyone?

From this article: https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002825519

Lee Byung Hun had to attend the 75th Venice International Film Festival. He attended the red carpet and gala dinner with the main sponsor (Jaeger-LeCoultre) of the film festival, as he is the PR ambassador of the luxury watch brand (Jaeger-LeCoultre).

Yoo Yeon Seok had scheduled to go to the US for ad shooting.

Byun Yo Han already arranged in advance a shooting schedule in Jeju Island.

Mr. Sunshine crew said some of the (main) casts were unable to attend the wrap up party due to their busy schedule. 

@rubie, here's a selfie photo of David Lee McInnis (Kyle) at the wrap up party.

6a3ecdfcgy1fuw9cqa7tvj20ik340tyl.jpg

photo credit: as tagged

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kingkong72 said:

So the significance of cutting a noble woman's hair is to humiliate her in front of the public. Was the humiliation a strategy of DM to make her stop on what DM perceives she will do against Joseon's enemies later on? DM thinks that WI will now find out that AS parents are part of the Righteous Army and that AS could also be a member and will be in danger. So DM is still trying to protect AS from evil people in a brusque manner. Bad boy DM. 

The problem remains as in DM didn't prevent her from any danger by doing so. Wan Ik and Japan troop leader aren't fixated on cutting the family ties thingy by cutting her hair. They already suspect AS and most likely, if the preview is anything to go by, will go full blown in hunting her down. 

So the excuse of "protecting her" is no longer valid to justify such act. 
And if you really love a girl, you should be able to protect things that she treasures, not by taking all of it away. 
Im curious how Eugene gonna react to all this, maybe his relationship with Aeshin will be found out by Dong Mae in next episode, and that gonna affect the dynamic of the trio once again. 

6 episode left, there's still so much yet to be unfold. KES is truly genius!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KDramaLogic said:

On to the Ep. 19 preview: Yay!  AS' donning her trademark uniform and a rifle in her hand!  Hopefully she (along with EC and maybe other RA members) will start taking out the Japanese and any Korean-Japanese traitors, starting with that ever-smirking Wan Ik.

i hope to see those traitors paying too...

Japanese colonization of Joseon Korea

this is a fact!!!we know otp won't be able to stop that....is just the begining of a long war and will not have a happy end ...we know what happened  don't we?

it would have been more satisfying if Arya first let Lord Frey be present with the rest of the family so he'd first witness the poetic justice a la Red Wedding before she killed him, but I'm fine with canon story as well)

i felt the same ...i cant wait for JON and ARYA scenes...she is the sister he loves the most and for Arya   he is the brother that understood her and gave her a sword ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lilcrash said:

@rubie, here's a selfie photo of David Lee McInnis (Kyle) at the wrap up party.

Hi @lilcrash It's been awhile we meet at a soompi drama thread, very good to see you here. Thanks for the selfie highlights of Kyle.. indeed, quite a number of them have appeared on IG. Looks like he's back to his rugged with a clean-cut (almost) beard-less image. :lol:

Too bad that the wrap party was without the 3 male leads (plus a few others) but most of the cast attended, thankfully! This is probably the only and last time they're able to gather after a year filming together. There might be promo events later as well as the awards ceremony but not all will participate.

Anyway, it's good that the production have concluded successfully.. lets hope the finale will be a really memorable ending as well. With 6 episodes to go, the cast and crew will have to zip their lips on what's to happen in (fictional) MR.SUNSHINE apart from the obvious reality.

Credit: Chungmuro Crumb

• Like 8

First, hello and thanks for having me! I am new to the board and totally obsessed with the show. Here's to lively discussions!  :blush: 

I have a  theory about the haircut:

DM had finally chosen a side and wants to join the RA by any means necessary. I think EC had TONS to do with this but that is a topic for another post.

He confronts AS and tells her flat out "I want to be of use to you (either in RA or not) even if you hate me" (queue the haircut). He knows, that she knows, of his feelings for her. Cutting her hair was sort of selfless. He knew she would hate him for it and he was willing to give up his personal agenda to join the RA and protect her and Joseon.  I agree that the haircut is also symbolic and may signal a change in her status. She is officially a spinster and her family is in peril. It liberates her and signals a  'coming of age'  and  frees her up to follow her heart and mission with RA (and hopefully a future with EC!).

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

By cutting her hair, it looks like DM despises AS and is not working for lord Go. Yes, I didn't like his action but the consequence of it could be that Colonel Takashi Mori is inclined to see DM as an ally and could even prefer DM over LWI. Let us not forget that Takashi Mori looks down on Korean people hence he has no problem to treat them badly. LWI might support the Japanese, however he always thought that he is using them than the other way around. The way he talked behind Takashi Mori's back, unaware that the latter would understand revealed his true thoughts. However, DM has been living differently. Not only did he cut ties with Joseon, he also adopted the Japanese culture: he has a kimono and is using a sword. Hence the Japanese Colonel could see more affinities working with him than with LWI. This would explain why he would visit DM. Honestly, I have more and more the impression that DM could start working for RA as a spy, when on the surface he would be a minion of the Japanese. The fact that he was shot would erase any doubt about his fidelity to the Japanese. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

tumblr_pefk1zu9u51qbmdgqo1_400.giftumblr_pefk1zu9u51qbmdgqo2_400.gif

tumblr_pefk1zu9u51qbmdgqo5_400.giftumblr_pefk1zu9u51qbmdgqo8_400.gif

This scene is so underrated. The part he had to restraint himself from doing anything else to her in the 2nd gif. The first time he really wanted someone, but decides to be a gentleman and let her go. Knowing that he had no right to, and that he can never have her. BYH aced this scene his acting was too damn good. 

Creds. Tumblr @wooyoungbby 

• Like 9
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, blademan said:

This scene is so underrated. The part he had to restraint himself from doing anything else to her in the 2nd gif. The first time he really wanted someone, but decides to be a gentleman and let her go. Knowing that he had no right to, and that he can never have her. BYH aced this scene his acting was too damn good. 

UGH thanks for posting those gifs and bringing up their break up scene, it was definitely one of the highlights of the episode. Watching it, my heart shattered into pieces, SH's character is really the one getting better and better every episode, showing us sides completely worthy of falling in love. The way he is so selfless and ready to give up his interests for the sake of his loved ones is so beautiful and an example. It really breaks my heart to see him so vulnerable and sad, we can see that he genuinely cares for AS and loves her.

And yes, BYH is killing it with his amazing acting, you can feel the pain and all the emotions 

• Like 8

@bebebisous33 @linygirl1 The fact the confrontation was done for pubic display seems deliberate and contradicted their good encounter previously.  DM did get a glimpse of Sang-Mok as the shooter.  I'm still at loss of Sang-Mok's reason, whether his act is under order of Minister Lee +/- Eun Sang.   Why shoot DM who is of no true value to their cause?  They were shots intended to kill. Colonel Mori is looking to set up law and order in Joseon. He's more of a hardliner and doesn't trust LWI.  Mori is also looking to start Japanese propaganda via HS's newspaper.  If HS agrees to go along while secretly supporting RA, he will have to endure the hate from the Joseon people once again under different circumstances as a traitor.    A change of authority often means an opportunity to realign loyalty so the chess pieces are moving again.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@bebebisous33 @linygirl1 The fact the confrontation was done for pubic display seems deliberate and contradicted their good encounter previously.  DM did get a glimpse of Sang-Mok as the shooter.  I'm still at loss of Sang-Mok's reason, whether his act is under order of Minister Lee +/- Eun Sang.   Why shoot DM who is of no true value to their cause?  They were shots intended to kill. Colonel Mori is looking to set up law and order in Joseon. He's more of a hardliner and doesn't trust LWI.  Mori is also looking to start Japanese propaganda via HS's newspaper.  If HS agrees to go along while secretly supporting RA, he will have to endure the hate from the Joseon people once again under different circumstances as a traitor.    A change of authority often means an opportunity to realign loyalty so the chess pieces are moving again.

It is because SM didn't know what DM did for AS and her grandfather. Moreover, SM somehow revealed things to DM in the past and he knew that he should have died instead of revealing things. By killing DM, he was trying to erase his past mistake. SM is not close to AS and DM to know what the latter is feeling for AS. 

Actually, the Japanese Army was the cause for the change in the foreign politics: the dream of a Japanese Empire came from there. So even if it happens later, the writer did a good job to distinguish the different currents existing in Japan. In 1905 Joseon did become a real colony like Takashi Miro had dreamt of, while Ito Hirobumi was more working with the idea to turn Joseon into a protectorate of Japan (see for example the currency project). However, the meeting between Ito Hirobumi and Takashi Miro lets us see that the minister has actually adopted Miro's idea.

Takashi Miro symbolizes the future radicalization of this expansionist politic and treatment towards other Asian people.

Actually, there is something bothering me... why did they turn the French secretary into a Japanese spy? It would have made much more sense if they had chosen a British person because back then, Great-Britain was helping Japan to develop its army and especially its navy fleet. That's also the reason why Japan got involved with WWI as they were supporting GB.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3