[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

37 minutes ago, anipanch said:

Yeah hope so, it's really time for WI to die and it will be a perfect death done by AS

Death at AS's hands. Cover up by the others. Would be perfect. Also, look closely when Takashi is being kidnapped with a bag on his head - looks like he is taken from the hospital. Had he come there to see an injured WI or WI's body? Point to ponder.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, anipanch said:

Yeah hope so, it's really time for WI to die and it will be a perfect death done by AS

Hi @anipanch.

It's already given that WI will stop at nothing to push his agenda at the expense of everyone else's lives, including his own daughter HN's. 

But he's really done a number on AS and her family, including (but sadly not limited to):

1. The death of AS' parents (which I'm not sure if AS knew about WI's direct involvement, unless someone can inform me otherwise)

2. The besieging of the AS' household (i.e., attempts to demolish the Go house in order to make way for train construction :triumph:)

3. Last but definitely not least, ordering his men to shoot at AS' grandfather/Lord Go's funeral procession :angry:

At this rate, it's only a matter of time before AS finally takes up @lilyphenix's advice regarding the "list" (i.e. memorizing the faces of those responsible for atrocities committed toward her, her loved ones, and the rest of the Joseon people) and aim her rifle at WI (with a one-shot kill).  And, as @mistergenie proclaims, the sooner the better!

33 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Death at AS's hands. Cover up by the others. That would be perfect. Also, look closely when Takashi is being kidnapped with a bag on his head - looks like he is taken from the hospital. Had he come there to see WI or WI's body? Point to ponder.

Hi @mistergenie.  That's one silver lining I'd hope to see amidst the otherwise bleak future of Joseon Korea and our beloved characters in Mr. Sunshine, unless KES pulls a WTF Inglorious Basterds and "burn it down.":ph34r:

• Like 4

Gunner Jang finally got his moment of revenge on LWI. But feel so bad & sad for him about HongPa th_sad004.gif.. they never showed her meeting him again after he got promoted as the Palace Security Chief, did they? He must get a chance to whip that Mori really really good. Perhaps, it's Eugene and SG who kidnapped Takashi Mori. I'm pretty much guessing now.. tonight's episode is just too much..

@KDramaLogic I believe only Eugene knew about LWI directly killing Ae Shin's parents but he hasn't told her about it.

A one-shot kill for LWI is too easy for a traitor and villain and enemy of the country... make that 5x. :angry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched episode 19.  Oh my god... my stress level..... cried like a river and now I'm heading to the headache world..... 

Here is the text preview for episode 20.

Aeshin(Kim Taeri) is leaving Eugene(Lee Byung-Hun) as RA fighter ...

Russo-Japanese war break out, Eugene gets an order to transfer back to US!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

18 minutes ago, rubie said:

Gunner Jang finally got his moment of revenge on LWI. But feel so bad & sad for him about HongPa th_sad004.gif.. they never showed her meeting him again after he got promoted as the Palace Security Chief, did they? He must get a chance to whip that Mori really really good. Perhaps, it's Eugene and SG who kidnapped Mori. I'm pretty much guessing now..

@KDramaLogic I believe only Eugene knew about LWI directly killing Ae Shin's parents but he hasn't told her about it.

Poor HongPa! She was all Gunner Jag had and he didn't even get to say goodbye to her. :'(

Perhaps, it's Eugene and SG who kidnapped Mori. I'm pretty much guessing now..

My guess as well. I very much hope it is the both of them.

I believe only Eugene knew about LWI directly killing Ae Shin's parents but he hasn't told her about it.

I hope he tells her. But for that to happen they have to meet first and that is going to be difficult since Ae Shin has gone full on into guerrilla mode now. I do like the fact that Ae Shin is still communicating non verbally with Eugene through those red pinwheels (saw one in the E20 preview) - she is at least letting him know through their secret symbol that she hasn't forgotten him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn! That synopsis is all kinds of depressing. Who else thinks that a separation is coming? Eugene will have to go back the US. That scene in E18 at the legation - AS: US is two and half handspans away. EC: It is only one a half handspan if my hand is a measure so I can come back quickly. thanks a lot for the synopsis,  @mistymorning

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

You know what I am upset and disappointed about in episode 19? The reason of Dong Mae cutting Ae Shin’s hair did not make sense at all and did not achieve anything at all. It did not protect her at all as Takayashi and Lee Wan Ik still managed to destroyed her family and is still hunting her down. Caused all the trauma and humiliation to Ae Shin but achieve nothing at all. Grandpa asking Dong Mae to protect Ae Shin also does not make any sense as she would not want his protection or be anyway near him at all. Am I missing something here with the above 2 plot points? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Just watched episode 19.  Oh my god... my stress level..... cried like a river and now I'm heading to the headache world..... 

I think.. this is where another spoiler comes in. Since he has no reason not to obey the transfer order (Kyle won't be able to help either), Eugene might quit the US Military altogether. Not sure if he could do that considering that they need all their men to shift to the Philippines, and no more in Joseon. Or if he would just go AWOL.. to join RA. Future captures showed him not wearing his usual suits and uniform. But deserting the military would be a bad option for EC.. if he wants to stay as an American.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, charray said:

Grandpa asking Dong Mae to protect Ae Shin also does not make any sense as she would not want his protection or be anyway near him at all. Am I missing something here with the above 2 plot points? 

I'm few of the people that didn't criticise DM over that scene since I was sure there was some kind of deep meaning behind it, but I got to agree with you here. I thought we would get some kind of explanation in the 19th episode but there was none. However, we are most probably missing out the message the writer wants to deliver. Just think about it, Grandpa went and beat him up but still appointed DM as the protector at the end of the day. Maybe it has to do with the fact that both EC and HS are too soft when it comes to AS and are ready to just let her be even if she decides to jump of a bridge, while DM is ready to do anything to keep her safe. Grandpa's last wish for AS was to stay alive no matter what and logically speaking DM is the only one who will stick to that wish and not get swayed by AS's independent nature. So far, this is the only thing I can conclude. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, charray said:

You know what I am upset and disappointed about in episode 19? The reason of Dong Mae cutting Ae Shin’s hair did not make sense at all and did not achieve anything at all. It did not protect her at all as Takayashi and Lee Wan Ik still managed to destroyed her family and is still hunting her down. Caused all the trauma and humiliation to Ae Shin but achieve nothing at all. Grandpa asking Dong Mae to protect Ae Shin also does not make any sense as she would not want his protection or be anyway near him at all. Am I missing something here with the above 2 plot points? 

Agree with you fully here. 

Just now, anipanch said:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that both EC and HS are too soft when it comes to AS and are ready to just let her be even if she decides to jump of a bridge, while DM is ready to do anything to keep her safe.

I am sorry but I firmly disagree here. Have you already forgotten E7 and Eugene taking the blame off of her by going in front of that Japanese soldier? Eugene has never been about letting her do anything willy nilly. No, he has always been about walking beside her, helping her. Not controlling her, nor dictating her actions and choices.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rubie said:

if he wants to stay as an American.

Yes and adding the fact that he should do the "killing" of T. Mori because he is American and will save Joseon from the direct war with Japan EC has to stay American and if he quits the US military I'm not sure how he manages it...

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Have you already forgotten E7 and Eugene taking the blame off of her by going in front of that Japanese soldier?

I do remember, but how many times do you suggest he does it before he ends up jailed somewhere, leaving AS on her own?

10 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

No, he has always been about walking beside her, helping her. Not controlling her, nor dictating her actions and choices.

This here, you said it already. That's why Grandpa didn't ask him directly to protect AS, because it is a crisis time and AS might end up in a critical situation at any given time, where EC's ways of helping AS won't be as effective. I'm not saying that DM is better or knows better how to protect her but i'm trying to be reasonable here, who will succeed more in keeping AS alive, no matter what? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, anipanch said:

I do remember, but how many times do you suggest he does it before he ends up jailed somewhere, leaving AS on her own?

This here, you said it already. That's why Grandpa didn't ask him directly to protect AS, because it is a crisis time and AS might end up in a critical situation at any given time, where EC's ways of helping AS won't be as effective. I'm not saying that DM is better or knows better how to protect her but i'm trying to be reasonable here, who will succeed more in keeping AS alive, no matter what? 

Paraphrasing AS in E12 when she talks to Gunner Jang about EC: His choices are quiet yet effective. On the surface they seem a bit cold and selfish but all his actions have always been leading him down the right path.

There is no evidence in the show's canon to show that Eugene's methods are not effective. On the contrary, he has been shown to be pretty smart and strategic most of the times. So, what gives you the impression that he won't succeed in keeping Ae Shin alive? Show me one DM move that has been successful when it comes to his intentions regarding Ae Shin's safety - him shooting her didn't stop her, him cutting her hair turned out to be for nothing - his moves have been more about stopping AE shin rather than stopping the threats facing her. So yeah, it will be reasonable for me to expect Eugene to do better.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

So, what gives you the impression that he won't succeed in keeping Ae Shin alive? Show me one DM move that has been successful when it comes to his intentions regarding Ae Shin's safety - him shooting her didn't stop her, him cutting her hair turned out to be for nothing - his moves have been more about stopping AE shin rather than stopping the threats facing her. So yeah, it will be reasonable for me to expect Eugene to do better.

I'm not insisting that EC will fail in protecting AS, but rather what I want to say is the fact that yes he is very logical and works things out very well, but most of the time it is his American status that gives him a big advantage and I'm not sure until when it will help him out, considering the fact that the situation is getting chaotic every day. That aside, he is more about sacrificing himself, like we saw what he did when AS shoot the Japanese soldier. It will get harder for him, since US is pretty much moving out from Joseon and losing their influence. And I can't say anything about DM either, so far we haven't seen what he achieved by cutting her hair, maybe their's still something to it. EIther way, Grandfather saw something in his move that made him worthy of asking to protect AS and I hope the writer won't mess it up and make it hard to understand what she is trying to achieve with DM's character. 

I'll take a break fro The DM/AS/EC drama and want to talk a bit about HS. I feel so sorry for him??? Like the boy wanted to have a simple life, to enjoy the flowers, the wind and the sun and all the little things but look at where he is now. Holding a gun, soaked in blood. My heart really broke for him and honestly he is such a tragic character, I feel like he won't have a happy ending and it saddens me so much. Cinnamon roll deserves better :(  

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, anipanch said:

That's why Grandpa didn't ask him directly to protect AS, because it is a crisis time and AS might end up in a critical situation at any given time, where EC's ways of helping AS won't be as effective. I'm not saying that DM is better or knows better how to protect her but i'm trying to be reasonable here, who will succeed more in keeping AS alive, no matter what? 

I think I have to digress. I am confident that Eugene can do a better job of protecting Ae Shin than Dong Mae, especially when Ae Shin is his woman and he understands and knows her well. 

I think maybe Grandpa is thinking of the bigger picture for the safety of Joseon to ask Eugene to kill Mōri. He probably want Eugene to focus on the task of taking down Mōri. In a way, he is throwing back Eugene’s words back at  him, the part about saving Joseon. Perhaps it is to show that he is still not giving Eugene his blessing too as to ask Eugene to protect Ae Shin is akin to giving his blessing. 

But why Grandpa has no confidence in his own granddaughter? She even came to the rescue of Hui Seong. I was so happy when the RA and Ae Shin came to his rescue. I do not want him to die so fast too as he can still contribute to saving Joseon through his newspaper. 

• Like 8

Ae Shin is capable of protecting herself well but she could be acting on impulse now that her emotions are affected by Lord Go's death and those close to her. Her growing anger might get the worst of her this time. Usually it's Gunner Jang talking some senses into her but he's now on a job for the Emperor. Lord Go is taking the risk with his last chance by having the 2 men keep an eye on AS. From his point of view, he has seen how only the two (EC & DM) actually cared enough for AS and her family well-being.

Spoiler

Can Ms. Haman be saved like the servant girl accidentally shot by Lee Se Hoon earlier on? But then, everything is now in chaos and the hospital is controlled by the Japanese. What a terrible mess. Poor Ae Shin, poor Mr. Haengrang. th_sad004.gif Now we've lost (at least) three good people in one episode. th_sad008.gif

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

Russo-Japanese war broke out in Feb 1904. The show's current timeline is at least mid 1903. Are we in for another time jump? Part of me thinks the two events mentioned in the synopsis are not going to happen simultaneously - for all intents and purposes AE Shin has already gone underground as full fledged member of the RA. Methinks, they (EC and AS) will both be together after some tumultuous events and then their bliss will be shattered by the war and the subsequent transfer order.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, anipanch said:

I'm not insisting that EC will fail in protecting AS, but rather what I want to say is the fact that yes he is very logical and works things out very well, but most of the time it is his American status that gives him a big advantage and I'm not sure until when it will help him out, considering the fact that the situation is getting chaotic every day. That aside, he is more about sacrificing himself, like we saw what he did when AS shoot the Japanese soldier. It will get harder for him, since US is pretty much moving out from Joseon and losing their influence. And I can't say anything about DM either, so far we haven't seen what he achieved by cutting her hair, maybe their's still something to it. EIther way, Grandfather saw something in his move that made him worthy of asking to protect AS and I hope the writer won't mess it up and make it hard to understand what she is trying to achieve with DM's character. 

I agree with you. Lord Go made a comparison between entering through the front door and jumping the wall. DM's methods to protect AS would be more devious than Eugene's and the grandfather deemed them more efficient. It is a chaotic time and Eugene's style is not well suited for this time.

Moreover, I think Lord Go also picked on the fact that DM has better access to information than Eugene. And what happens afterwards proves him right: while Eugene plays with the Russian doll at the Legation, DM is already going to Jemulpo, although his yakuza boss probably stopped him. Without information, Eugene cannot do much.

I also found it interesting that while DM was paid, Eugene was not. I think this makes Lord Go's decision ambiguous. Probably he started to trust Eugene in the end. It is also interesting that Lord Go mentioned the black bird story, so maybe in a certain way, he made peace with the fact that AS has fallen in love with Eugene.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, tzupi said:

I also found it interesting that while DM was paid, Eugene was not. I think this makes Lord Go's decision ambiguous. Probably he started to trust Eugene in the end. It is also interesting that Lord Go mentioned the black bird story, so maybe in a certain way, he made peace with the fact that AS has fallen in love with Eugene.

I had totally missed out the point that Dong Mae was paid while Eugene was not. That did put a different perspective to it. Thanks for pointing this out.

I did not quite understand what Lord Go mean when he said that he is the black bird over Eugene. Is he implying that Eugene has to accept his decision since he is the elder here being Ae Shin’s grandpa, in a way acknowledging Ae Shin’s relationship with Eugene? 

• Like 4