Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

@KDramaLogic..I am about to join you with my own long post..hehehe..probably my last one

Anyway, I was about to ask all of you chinggus about the significant of the last scene. In fact, I have more nagging questions then ever:

1. Why is the Shing Mok guy gunned down DM? If he is an actual RA and be in contact with the rest all this while, wouldn't he know that DM's men help EC to catch Kim Yong Ju, the traitor? With this regard, I have to echo some of you about communication. At some point, the communication seemed to be great between the characters, even better than Whatsapp as intel information got passed rather swiftly and accurately. Even at certain point, they seemed to acquire telepathic ability to communicate. But there are times, there seemed to be misunderstanding here and there..and I still cannot fathom why DM is the target when in fact, DM did let him go and escape. The timing is also questionable, when the movement is about to start.

2, Who are the 4 recruits and what are their grand plans? Based on their convo, they are indeed planning something big but some of them are rather coward. Since we only have like 6 eps to go with focus should be on the rebel movement and the progress of the main characters, I'm not sure if there are space or time to appreciate the others' back story. So, I'm not sure why KEW introduce them almost at the end of the drama. Or are they some important figures in the history? The one that will actually follow thru with the actual rebel movement since the one we had seen so far are mostly fictional characters. And in the last ep, EC seemed to figure out something about them (apart from they came at night to practice and one of them actually replicate the key to the gun storage). I hope we have answers to this in the next episode

3. We know LWI is trying  to kill Lord Go first so that people will see him as more powerful than the new villain, T.Mori. And we also know the Emperor (for once) made a smart decision to detain Lord Go to actually protect him. But why did the Emperor agrees to let Lord Go go (ok, pun intended..hehe) when he knew LWI is up to no good? What is the significant of the Emperor's latest decision? Because the Emperor seemed to act as if he was actually in the advantage when he made that decision. Even LWI was surprised. 

Ok, enough questions for now. As for the last scene, I would think in the next 5 days, there will be flood of different theories and answers given. So I  will definitely lurking here and the other sites for that..hehehe

Anyway..I would like to also share some thoughts for the last 2 episodes:

1. I loveeeee HS in the last 2 eps. Not only he was being such a gentleman and broke off the engagement without any pre-conditions  attached whatsoever, but he did with his dignity still intact. On top of that, he decided to move on with his life by caring for others through one skill he has - being a journalist. Even when he was helping EC with the intel, he used his journalistic skill. I would like also to mention how he helped Lord Go indirectly with his special edition. And best of all, the way he antagonised T.Mori with his goofy and yet sarcastic self at the dinner table. I am so loving that. If in any case, i think it is much safer to be around him apart from EC..

2. I love EC too in the episodes..but then again I've always love his character...hehehe..I may sound biased here. I love that his character is rather consistent..cool demeanour but still in some way, he rather submissive to others. He still think highly of Lord Go despite Lord Go's supposedly concern on social status. He still did his job as trainer despite his arm was practically twisted to accept the job and of course, he was still positive he can see AS despite the circumstances. I also like that he was clear about his choice not to avenge for his parent's death because he acknowledged HS's genuine and sincere effort to be the opposite of his own grandfather. In most Kdrama, we see characters who avenge just by mere association but I am glad, KES did not make any of the characters that way, especially EC. And another point, I would say EC has gotten more cheesy and cringe-worthy every day..hahahaha..the lines he used on AS, oh my heart, so flattering and fluttering...and dont make me talk about his smile..hahaha

3. I like the bromance throughout!!  Those scenes were the best for me actually out of all the scenes. When DM helped EC at the brothel. When EC consult HS about the intel, When HS came running first towards DM when he was shot. When HS told EC about DM and EC looked worried. When HS visited DM. I wish we could see more of that kind of interaction with all these 3 male leads. They are awesomely daebak in their cooperation. So, why oh why did KES made DM's shot by the RA instead of anyone working for LWI or T.Mori? Why the last scene (which will definitely provoke EC and HS, even if the intention was good)? 

4. I would like to also correct my perspective/ admit my mistakes on my previous theories/ takes. First of all, again and again we can never predict accurately what is KES's next move. The preview is always misleading, so I would never trust that. But above all, KES took the direction of the drama way beyond anyone's expectation. In every direction , in fact, beyond, under, sideways..she is just so daebak in surprising us with all the twists. So, i would like to correct the perspective about the Emperor (I give him credit about protecting Lord Go), the Minister (I give him credit the way he twisted EC's and Gunner Jang's arm to accept the positions as well as changing the interpreters..he has guts, I can say that) and HS's parents (at least his Mom.. she still has some conscience to admit that she has to bear the sin of the past).

5. The saddest moment to me is not when HS burnt the letter or told AS he was letting her go (I did feel sad at that time because I do love this guy but somehow I knew he would move on and become a better person. He is just that kind of person). But the saddest moment for me is when AS bowed towards Gunner Jang as a symbol that their teacher-student relationship has come to end. My tears automatically flow like tap water. For some reason, that goodbye seemed to mean bye forever for me since Gunner Jang  has taken the riskiest task in his like, protecting the Emperor. I dont know why I got that bad feeling that Gunner Jang will be among the most tragic casualties when the war breaks later.

Okay..for my final take..

I've always try to comment about this drama (and other dramas) based on the story and characters and appreciate the other takes/perspectives/thoughts that I read here in this thread based on the same platform but I've always try to refrain from commenting on the actors/actresses themselves personally because to me this is not the thread to do so. If I'm not mistaken, for each actor/actress, there is a special dedicated thread for them (which sometimes I frequented too) in another topic. So, of late, I noticed people started to touch on the cast personally which I felt to be rather inappropriate (despite repeated warnings by the moderator) and be so defensive about it. So, I hope we can stick with discussions on the drama and characters and refrain from touching about the personal life/ features of the casts. Also, let's respect each other's view even if we don't support the characters. I don't see why we cannot critic the characters since each of us will have different perspective (if we don't like, just say it). But let's do it in a more mature manner. We can critic but be constructive, rather than destructive. Each view has its own merit even if we don't agree with it, I believe. And based on my experienced frequenting all the sites discussing Kdrama, I think the PDs did take some of the criticism rather seriously and change the course of the drama to suit the demand even at the last minute. I would like to apologize if any of my views offend others. I have always appreciate everyone's view. Like I mentioned repeated times, the thoughts/perspectives penned down in this site are among the best I've read so far and some even helpful to make the journey throughout the drama to be more meaningful. So, keep on writing chinggus..I would continue lurking here for all the answers to my questions and even if I dont penned them all here, I'm sure some of you would have the same questions and answers..

Finally..it has been a wonderful journey with you guys. Thank you in advance..kamsahanida chinggus..hwaiting!! (for the next 6 eps)

• Like 12

9/2 MR.SUNSHINE Wrap Party

Mr. Haengrang

Minister Lee Jung Moon

Minister Lee Se Hoon

Hong Pa

Minister Hayashi

Kim An Pyeong?

Photos: dramalouve_

• Like 6

I don't know this story would end, but I like AS  and DM together. I can  see them as a pair  

• Like 1

@inna75 dear, thank you for the good post. Do write again. I know it's tough to ignore the language used when reading the many reviews here. Nevertheless, I will be waiting for more insights from you.

On the preview, did EC just got judo-ed by DM? :lol: AS's dialogue most probably directed to him right after hair cutting free service. And EC pointing gun at DM most probably after hearing about it. Then most probably DM will tell EC on the telegram and chide him for not paying attention to WI's activity that could possibly speed up AS's demise. They will banter as usual. I am really looking forward to the meeting between DM and Takashi. How intense can it get and who is gonna win? HS got a win from his. That guy is just :joy:...

Ok, off to work!

• Like 3

Ko Woo Rim / Domi has the best collection of photos with KES + the fabulous ladies of MR.SUNSHINE.. Gunner Jang, LWI and many more. Too bad the 3 male leads, plus Kyle and Gwan Soo were not at the party (I think all of them were MIA) unless I overlooked the pics. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

@inna75 dear, thank you for the good post. Do write again. I know it's tough to ignore the language used when reading the many reviews here. Nevertheless, I will be waiting for more insights from you.

On the preview, did EC just got judo-ed by DM? :lol: AS's dialogue most probably directed to him right after hair cutting free service. And EC pointing gun at DM most probably after hearing about it. Then most probably DM will tell EC on the telegram and chide him for not paying attention to WI's activity that could possibly speed up AS's demise. They will banter as usual. I am really looking forward to the meeting between DM and Takashi. How intense can it get and who is gonna win? HS got a win from his. That guy is just :joy:...

Ok, off to work!

No it is not EC, i think its T.Mori or a higher Japanese soldier cause there is a star on the jacket sleeves..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

On the preview, did EC just got judo-ed by DM? :lol:

That would probably be fun to see. -_- But nope.. the gold stars on the sleeves, the tall boots and wide yellow stripes on the cap are telltale indicator that it's the Japanese Colonel. The American Captain's uniform is not as fancy.

Photos: dramalouve_

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

@inna75 

On the preview, did EC just got judo-ed by DM? :lol: 

I think it wasn’t Eugene: the sleeves of the uniforn are with red stripes around, which are nnt on the american uniform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh...then why is EC on the floor looking surprised? I think I replayed few times to confirm. Oh well, I will just wait till next ep.

5 hours ago, tzupi said:

I do not know. But the whole discussion between the two is quite strange.

First, he says that he will give her one last chance. Then he tells us not to get involved more. Then he cut her hair.

I do not understand what this last chance is. At some moments, what he says to her sounds similar to what he said to the guy who later shot him (when he was curious why that guy would risk his life for defending the country).

Moreover, do they talk loud enough to be heard by the bystanders?!

On another topic: I am wondering whether the recruits would create problems for Eugene. He is the guarantor of one of them, and they seem to be foolish enough to try to kill LWI. And Eugene appears to make sometimes mistakes: like the blunder with the bullets. I think he realized that they are up to something, probably he guesses what, but sometimes he forgets that he has to act on the information he has. I'm afraid that now focused as he is on the new Japanese commander, he is more prone to making mistakes.

Yeah, strange indeed.  He knows LWI is looking into AS's parents.  Is AS going through the Japanese section of town? Could this be acting on DM's part to have the public confrontation be reported back to LWI.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-09-03 00.00.57

From the preview, @miracle23, it's Colone Takashi Mori - EC's old acquaintance.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2018-09-02 23.45.13

Credit: Netflix

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

*delete*

Thank you ladies for the input. 

@tzupi and @bedifferent One question. In the confrontation he asked her why she chose these dangerous decisions. And then those don't do this and that. Then she answered she does not regret her choices/decisions/actions (that is her answer). Then he said he will be the man of use for her from the moment on even if he ends up becoming everybody's enemy including her. Then he cut her hair. Was he thinking for AS to lay low for the time being and let him do the dangerous things that she wants until it's ok to be in action again because WI is currently eyeing her movements? Having the Japanese soldiers filling up the town will do no good to her wandering around even with her servants in tow.

This seminar is killing me with boredom *sigh*

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

We know LWI is trying  to kill Lord Go first so that people will see him as more powerful than the new villain, T.Mori. And we also know the Emperor (for once) made a smart decision to detain Lord Go to actually protect him. But why did the Emperor agrees to let Lord Go go (ok, pun intended..hehe) when he knew LWI is up to no good? What is the significant of the Emperor's latest decision? Because the Emperor seemed to act as if he was actually in the advantage when he made that decision. Even LWI was surprised. 

@inna75 Do you think it's a trap for LWI, using Lord Go as bait luring LWI to make his next move?  I'm more concerned about the preview where it shows the peasants fighting against the nobleman? Previews are misleading I know :)

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-09-02 23.43.20Screenshot 2018-09-02 23.43.47

Love the fiery red dress on Hina here.  She's a fighter this one.  

Screenshot 2018-09-03 00.58.38Screenshot 2018-09-03 00.58.59

Spoiler

@miracle23  well, I'm not the smart one here so would have to defer the question to @tzupi. hahaha I only know I have no idea what KES wants to convey at the end of E18 :lol:

• Like 7

@KDramaLogic

thank you very much! This is saving my life, eheh, as I can watch the new episodes and understand them with the help of the instant recapping by dramamilk.  I was so unhappy that netflix was airing the episode late... we are just at the 14th episode released here, while the release of the episodes in the world is already  at the 18th... I couldn’t stand it anymore!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mistymorning said:

@miracle23, On "A noble woman cutting off her hair symbolises also cutting her relationship with her parents. "

By the Confucian belief, all body parts are from your parents and you may not damage it. This is considered as a filial duty. Along with being loyal to the king, filial duty is considered the one of the 2 major virtues in the Joseon Society. This esp. true for men. For women, they're allowed to cut her hair to sell it, supporting their married family. But... there is no such need for Aeshin. And remember, even though she's an RA sniper, she is also trained by Confucian philosophy in the most renowned Confucian scholar family. 

If she did it herself like Eugene did, we can consider this as AS cutting ties with old traditional ways. - not cutting ties with your parents, you'll never be able to cut ties with your parents in Joseon unless your parents cut it.  - But DM did it, and I'm planning to come back with recap of that part later, from my viewing DM did it to stop Aeshin from risking herself by fighting as RA. This is urgh... DM forcing his will on AS even though she didn't, and doesn't want any of his opinions.

And you can see from next episode she's out in western clothing as sniper again. So what did DM achieve from his behavior? Nothing!  Except smearing already tarnished AS's name, doing that in public. This is crazy stuff even by modern standard, unthinkable in that time.

KES is writing DM on really fine line, being part of love square... he's going over step constantly. I know this is DM's characterization, but urgh........ any hope of AS reciprocation of DM's love is gone. Only thing left is probably friend, at best.

So the significance of cutting a noble woman's hair is to humiliate her in front of the public. Was the humiliation a strategy of DM to make her stop on what DM perceives she will do against Joseon's enemies later on? DM thinks that WI will now find out that AS parents are part of the Righteous Army and that AS could also be a member and will be in danger. So DM is still trying to protect AS from evil people in a brusque manner. Bad boy DM. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ilovejasminnie said:

Did none of the three leading men attended the wrap up party? I don't see any photos of them. Anyone?

From this article: https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002825519

Lee Byung Hun had to attend the 75th Venice International Film Festival. He attended the red carpet and gala dinner with the main sponsor (Jaeger-LeCoultre) of the film festival, as he is the PR ambassador of the luxury watch brand (Jaeger-LeCoultre).

Yoo Yeon Seok had scheduled to go to the US for ad shooting.

Byun Yo Han already arranged in advance a shooting schedule in Jeju Island.

Mr. Sunshine crew said some of the (main) casts were unable to attend the wrap up party due to their busy schedule. 

@rubie, here's a selfie photo of David Lee McInnis (Kyle) at the wrap up party.

6a3ecdfcgy1fuw9cqa7tvj20ik340tyl.jpg

photo credit: as tagged

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, kingkong72 said:

So the significance of cutting a noble woman's hair is to humiliate her in front of the public. Was the humiliation a strategy of DM to make her stop on what DM perceives she will do against Joseon's enemies later on? DM thinks that WI will now find out that AS parents are part of the Righteous Army and that AS could also be a member and will be in danger. So DM is still trying to protect AS from evil people in a brusque manner. Bad boy DM. 

The problem remains as in DM didn't prevent her from any danger by doing so. Wan Ik and Japan troop leader aren't fixated on cutting the family ties thingy by cutting her hair. They already suspect AS and most likely, if the preview is anything to go by, will go full blown in hunting her down. 

So the excuse of "protecting her" is no longer valid to justify such act. 
And if you really love a girl, you should be able to protect things that she treasures, not by taking all of it away. 
Im curious how Eugene gonna react to all this, maybe his relationship with Aeshin will be found out by Dong Mae in next episode, and that gonna affect the dynamic of the trio once again. 

6 episode left, there's still so much yet to be unfold. KES is truly genius!!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, KDramaLogic said:

On to the Ep. 19 preview: Yay!  AS' donning her trademark uniform and a rifle in her hand!  Hopefully she (along with EC and maybe other RA members) will start taking out the Japanese and any Korean-Japanese traitors, starting with that ever-smirking Wan Ik.

i hope to see those traitors paying too...

Japanese colonization of Joseon Korea

this is a fact!!!we know otp won't be able to stop that....is just the begining of a long war and will not have a happy end ...we know what happened  don't we?

it would have been more satisfying if Arya first let Lord Frey be present with the rest of the family so he'd first witness the poetic justice a la Red Wedding before she killed him, but I'm fine with canon story as well)

i felt the same ...i cant wait for JON and ARYA scenes...she is the sister he loves the most and for Arya   he is the brother that understood her and gave her a sword ...

• Like 3