[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

On 9/10/2018 at 8:48 PM, renjunnie said:

someone make this video. Secretary kim, YZ-DL version? :wub:

Oh this isn't helping my obsession of our OTP !!! Lol.  Shippers.  The page/forum has been created!  For all Chinese and International fans (me)...see you there!!!

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote vids
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

^ I need the link. I don't really know my way around soompi anymore!!

Ashes of Love main weibo update:

006IHhCXly1fv146w0qzoj31kw11ix71.jpg

006IHhCXly1fv287lrihsj31kw0tn4qq.jpg

006IHhCXly1fv3nb9cgbqj31410qo4bo.jpg

They know what we want!!

===

Pu Chi aka Daniel also posted on his weibo about missing the flower realm and vote for Yangzi for the Golden Eagle.

6d0d8ad3ly1fv3jtoi86hj20rs1gr7wi.jpg

6d0d8ad3ly1fv3jtxeeqlj21mt1mt4qr.jpg

6d0d8ad3ly1fv3jujian8j20xc15onpd.jpg

6d0d8ad3ly1fv3julnt84j219b11vnpd.jpg

6d0d8ad3ly1fv3jvh819og20vi0j11l0.gif

6d0d8ad3ly1fv3juqr0olj21kw1kwnpg.jpg

I swear to God he's definitely mixed!!

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

https://entertainment.toggle.sg/en/entertainment/asianbuzz/article/zhou-hai-mei-ashes-of-love-10666462

Citizens are cyber-bullying Kathy Chow because of her villain role in Ashes of Love. People are really too much sometimes. Damn, It's just acting. Every drama has to have villains to be able to have conflicts and make it more exciting for the viewers. Overall, it's just a drama. They can trash talk the Empress all they want in the drama but irl, she's not the Empress but a human being too. She has feelings too...They make her close down her weibo. :'/

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, yena1590 said:

https://entertainment.toggle.sg/en/entertainment/asianbuzz/article/zhou-hai-mei-ashes-of-love-10666462

Citizens are cyber-bullying Kathy Chow because of her villain role in Ashes of Love. People are really too much sometimes. Damn, It's just acting. Every drama has to have villains to be able to have conflicts and make it more exciting for the viewers. Overall, it's just a drama. They can trash talk the Empress all they want in the drama but irl, she's not the Empress but a human being too. She has feelings too...They make her close down her weibo. :'/

This news is really too sad. Fans should learn to distinguish between reality and fantasy. If things always go this way, there won't be any effective villains anymore!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ElleSor said:

This news is really too sad. Fans should learn to distinguish between reality and fantasy. If things always go this way, there won't be any effective villains anymore!!

It is called acting.  And I found her character so sad...she was a user and her husband used her....in the drama.  A sad cycle.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nudafu said:

Been in series withdrawal. Was disappointed in the episodes leading up to the ending. I think I forgave too easily with the fillers, investing faith that the ending would be a fair make up for it. There hasn't been a series that I have come across in a long while that plotline consistencies (given that most fantasy Chinese series skimp on this) and development have blown me away. I still can't put a finger on exactly what disappointed me. Posting on a forum helps me organise my thoughts, so I figure I'll get to it. Meanwhile, I am treating my series withdrawal with rebound watching (Destiny of White Snake), followed by a combined 'pill' of HSALF re-watch and novel reading. And yes, I find reading it in Chinese is a different experience than reading it in English. 

I hear you on the slight disappointment train - while the ending few episodes had brilliant moments, and were okay, I think they certainly could have been better.  I mean, it's miles ahead of so many other dramas, to be sure, but it wasn't like awe inspiring.  I think my brain kept on wanting to see them as a loving couple more for those last few episodes, since there wasn't as much of them together throughout the whole thing.  (I'm pretty sure I read a few pages back here where someone said it would have been nice had they woken up together the day of the big battle - which would have been SO satisfying)

I also felt that they lingered along through side characters a bit too long during the final episode.  I mean - SH's ending didn't need to happen.  It didn't add anything to the story - in my maybe not so humble opinion,  She already got her just due.  Same with RY - we really didn't need that scene with him talking with Tang Yue/JM.  Just a clip of him "all alone" on his throne would have been fine.  Stuff like that. 

Would have been interesting to see what the other script was.   

8 hours ago, yena1590 said:

This is just unacceptable.  She's an actress .  How do you get to a point where you harass someone who you don't even know for just doing their job?  Blows my mind.

On another note, I personally do not feel comfortable shipping real people either (not a drag on anyone here, but it personally just doesn't feel right to me)

• Like 2

@bluesytb, ditto. While I recognise that there might be something nice and/or valuable for shipping real people, I don't understand the need for it. It feels wrong to me too because I can't stand people putting pressures on my relationships, so I can't imagine doing it to others. However, actors and actresses know what they are in for if they choose a career of performance, and it is about embracing the challenges of losing a lot of autonomy (I think Yang Mi said something about this).  I have a feeling real life couple shipping may be an extension of love for a series OTP, which ultimately is a positive thing. Although, I think it even more positive for them to star as an OTP again. 

1 hour ago, bluesytb said:

I think my brain kept on wanting to see them as a loving couple more for those last few episodes, since there wasn't as much of them together throughout the whole thing.  (I'm pretty sure I read a few pages back here where someone said it would have been nice had they woken up together the day of the big battle - which would have been SO satisfying)

I also felt that they lingered along through side characters a bit too long during the final episode.  I mean - SH's ending didn't need to happen.  It didn't add anything to the story - in my maybe not so humble opinion,  She already got her just due.  Same with RY - we really didn't need that scene with him talking with Tang Yue/JM.  Just a clip of him "all alone" on his throne would have been fine.  Stuff like that. 

Would have been interesting to see what the other script was.   

Took the points right out of my head :). Apart from the very last moments of them as a family, Xu Feng and Jin Mi's relationship felt a bit like 'Sliding Doors'. When Jin Mi was clueless about love, Xu Feng was in love. When Jin Mi was willing to act on her love, Xu Feng was resistant because he was mad. We never got to see the OTP when they were their true selves having a satisfying relationship in the same place and time. I treat the mortal realm relationship as a preview to what it could be like, but still not real. Because the world imagining in this series is set up to treat the celestial world as 'real' and the mortal realm as a simulation for earthly experiences. 

Totally agree with the alone on the throne finish for Run Yu. It's been done before and it works. A sped up montage of side characters and  time to show Jin Mi and Xu Feng's first moments together after their reunion would have been grand. I was even imagining just a quick fade out shot of Jin Mi passing Xiao Lu to Xu Feng after she gives birth (because Jin Mi emphasises how much joy Xiao Lu brings to Xu Feng in the epilogues). And maybe that moment when Xu Feng realises that Jin Mi has not regained the color of her sight. The choice to keep this disability had so much gravity and the series could've done a lot with this message. 

• Like 6

On 9/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, Nudafu said:

Jin Mi's Immortality

There were a few pointers: as @Kimchi Sweet Potato said, the flowers bloomed in the Flower Realm. When Liu Ying/Demon Queen was presented with her gift from Lian Qiao (Flower Realm doing public relations with the Demon Realm), she is told that the 'Water God' nurtured a new type of flower for the Demon Queen to name. The only Water God who can grow flowers = Jin Mi. I take this as not only does Jin Mi retain her powers as heir of the Flower Goddess, she reclaims her role as the Water God. How the step from reincarnated human back to a titled immortal is unclear. I agree with @thehumantree, in that the only explanation would be the 6000 years of spiritual power (side stepping questions such as her memories). I find this contrived, if not a forced explanation. Sad, considering the series has been terrific in tying it's lose ends. More so than even the novel in some respects. 

Finally finished watching with subs and I am convinced Jin Mi is immortal.

The town's people were gossiping that she was obsessed with cultivation and not to become an immortal but a demon!

Also as @Nudafu pointed out, the gifting of the flower.

I have been in denial about my withdrawal...I am in drama withdrawal :(

Anyway, as promised to @lynne22 the final FMV (i think), Xu Feng's redemption:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bluesytb said:

On another note, I personally do not feel comfortable shipping real people either (not a drag on anyone here, but it personally just doesn't feel right to me)

3 hours ago, Nudafu said:

@bluesytb, ditto. While I recognise that there might be something nice and/or valuable for shipping real people, I don't understand the need for it. It feels wrong to me too because I can't stand people putting pressures on my relationships, so I can't imagine doing it to others.

I understand and agree that pressuring relationships is destructive. But this is the first time I've shipped an actor and actress outside of the screen and it's only because their relationship is so sweet, it reminds me of the feeling of 'falling in love for the first time'. I think many people can feel that some feelings are involved between the two co-stars, which is probably why they're trending. I think it is also good that the two people know their relationship will be supported, and I've read on weibo fans expressing their support and saying that they will give their blessings even if they don't end up together, which is really nice I think, because, in a way, the success of the drama is also partly due to their chemistry. 

Regardless, this is not the thread for this kind of topic, and I do apologise for the posts that might have made you guys feel uncomfortable. This will be the last post on this topic! 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, jehnnny99 said:

I understand and agree that pressuring relationships is destructive. But this is the first time I've shipped an actor and actress outside of the screen and it's only because their relationship is so sweet, it reminds me of the feeling of 'falling in love for the first time'. I think many people can feel that some feelings are involved between the two co-stars, which is probably why they're trending. I think it is also good that the two people know their relationship will be supported, and I've read on weibo fans expressing their support and saying that they will give their blessings even if they don't end up together, which is really nice I think, because, in a way, the success of the drama is also partly due to their chemistry. 

Regardless, this is not the thread for this kind of topic, and I do apologise for the posts that might have made you guys feel uncomfortable. This will be the last post on this topic! 

Ditto.  Not to intentionally cause awkwardness or ill feelings.  For the most part only 2% shipped couples  become a reality...for the most part it is for entertainment purposes only...we know that reality is so much different between on screen and off screen for other OTP...but just saying between these 2, their interactions are parallel lol.  Ok.  Done with this topic on here....

I haven't quite finished the drama as I cannot find the Eng subs version so will be back to share my official feedback.  Being an avid book fan and mostly loving the drama I would so give it a 8.5 (maybe 9) out of 10 as I havent fully finished watching.  I wasn't hugely disappointed in their adaptation...I am just very  thankful that we had all amazing actors portraying our beloved characters and bring them to life on screen!

• Like 2

8. [+96] It’s not that I want to ship real people, it’s the Lord who pushed my head and forced me to ship. Do you understand? [跪了] :D

lol it's true. In my years of drama viewing I have only shipped 2 couple together. The first was Doojoon x Seulgi from SSL. And now Deng Lun x Yangzi from AOL. I just find their interactions more adorable!! :wub:

Also Viki has it up to 46 now and the other sites like kissasian already finished subbing!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

I've always been a staunch supporter of the novel and was disappointed with some of the changes made to the story. In spite of this, I have always been optimistic about the actors and actresses who gave excellent performances that made me feel for the drama. In retrospect, I understand why some scenes were changed, some lines were reassigned and some characters were given bigger parts.

The one thing that doesn't sit well with me, though, was the fact that Phoenix was toned down. He was always a bit cruel but respectful, arrogant at the very least in the novel. He always knew his worth and was proud of this. He was also unparalleled in fighting, he was the God of War for pete's sake! I didn't like that Night was almost, or just as powerful as Phoenix in the drama. I believed that Night was deceitful and manipulative because he knew he could never win against Phoenix's brute force, power, authority and strategy. Which is why Night manipulated facts and kept on reminding Jin Mi of filial piety so she would be the one to turn the tables on Phoenix. Jin Mi was the wild card that Phoenix would never expect to betray him. Thus the saying "The mantis stalks the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind it."

Even in the War in the River of Forgetfulness, Phoenix got a good beating from Night and looked even more injured than him.

But overall, I love the drama just as much as the novel. Sorry if my observation is a bit late but it really bothered me how Phoenix was toned down. I welcome any thoughts or opinions which may help me understand why he was weaker or on par with Night. Thanks!

• Like 8

^ I agree with you. They really toned down his 'God of War' persona. One of the reason I loved the battle scene so much was that we finally get to see the arrogance and prowess of Phoenix when he battle. And even with a handicap he gave Run Yu a pretty good fight!!

===

Ashes of Love Weibo update 

This one is funny but also serious cuz it involved a typhoon.  The typhoon is called Shanzhu (mangosteen). :D

Basically the weather weibo was reporting about a strong typhoon coming and then people commented

: Is mengtai a sweet girl too?  

: Friend, don't go.  

And then the weather replied: Shanzhu: We only do fruit essence. Naturally we cannot be seen with a bird.  And then there are comments telling Deng Lun to get his kid!! Shanzhu is coming cuz daddy Xu Feng ran away with the grape!! :lol:

Weibo Link

tumblr_pasayx0ARI1uqmqvro3_500.gif

Deng Luns' little Shanzhu

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

On 9/11/2018 at 5:51 PM, ElleSor said:

I've always been a staunch supporter of the novel and was disappointed with some of the changes made to the story. In spite of this, I have always been optimistic about the actors and actresses who gave excellent performances that made me feel for the drama. In retrospect, I understand why some scenes were changed, some lines were reassigned and some characters were given bigger parts.

The one thing that doesn't sit well with me, though, was the fact that Phoenix was toned down. He was always a bit cruel but respectful, arrogant at the very least in the novel. He always knew his worth and was proud of this. He was also unparalleled in fighting, he was the God of War for pete's sake! I didn't like that Night was almost, or just as powerful as Phoenix in the drama. I believed that Night was deceitful and manipulative because he knew he could never win against Phoenix's brute force, power, authority and strategy. Which is why Night manipulated facts and kept on reminding Jin Mi of filial piety so she would be the one to turn the tables on Phoenix. Jin Mi was the wild card that Phoenix would never expect to betray him. Thus the saying "The mantis stalks the cicada, unaware of the oriole behind it."

Even in the War in the River of Forgetfulness, Phoenix got a good beating from Night and looked even more injured than him.

But overall, I love the drama just as much as the novel. Sorry if my observation is a bit late but it really bothered me how Phoenix was toned down. I welcome any thoughts or opinions which may help me understand why he was weaker or on par with Night. Thanks!

I was lukewarm on the novel (uh, I um tend to be a a bit of a book snob) but personally was glad that they toned his character down for the drama - I don't think I would have liked his character as much had he been more arrogant and cruel.  (No disrespect at all!  Just personal feelings, not facts.)  I tend to like archetypes and tropes that are flipped/slanted though.  Like the God of War inwardly being a giant pussycat inside?  Sold.  Also, I think I said it before, but I'm such a sucker for genuinely kind characters.      

I think i understand why Night was able to come close to Phoenix during that last scene, after all during the wedding between XF/JM  he punished himself by taking away 1/2 his power and he also had that extra cold ingredient added to the 9 spins elixir.  And RY borrowed power from QQ, So that does make sense.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2018 at 3:17 PM, mayra83 said:

It was same for me after finished Legend of Fuyao, which was great and loved so much Wufu couple. I heard about Ashes of Love and remembered that i saw Deng Lun with Dilraba in Sweet dreams. I waited until more episodes were subbed as i committed the fault to watch Legend of Fuyao when it was aired and it was a torture to wait for eng sub. Even Ashes of love is not fully subbed i enjoyed reading comments and translations of members here. I also could read the book which was translated in eng and could know about the end. 

I loved this series and i am rewatching the first episodes waiting for eng sub of last episodes. Hope Deng Lun and Yang Zi will have another historical drama together. They have such an amazing chemestry!!!

I couldn't watch Sweet Dreams because the first episode annoyed me so much LOOOOL i couldn't continue. But some people told me that it got really good in the next episodes... still i'm not convinced but now that i like DENG LUNG soooo much i must give it another try hahahaha (and at first i wanted to try because i love Dilireba so much!!)

On 8/7/2018 at 10:31 AM, omiki said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He seems to think so, that’s why he left Flower Realm looking dejected. However, I don’t think so. The Opening and ending credits showed JM marrying Run Yu. Probably JM is the Daughter of Water God (appeared in Ep. 1), already bethrothed to Run Yu by the Emperor. 

Don’t like the evil Empress, but it’s nice to see that actress again after so many years. She was quite a famous Hong Kong actress back in the days.

Her Bugs Bunny teeth and thin lips distract me quite a bit.  I keep on wanting to put bunny ears on her head.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, visiopeia said:

YOu can watch "Because of You (因為遇見你)". I fall for him after watching this series ..

Me too ;):heart:

• LOL 3

On 9/11/2018 at 9:48 PM, jehnnny99 said:

No need to apologise :). I may disagree with the occurrence but wasn't uncomfortable with what you posted. I never take things personally on public forums. You actually gave a perspective that I haven't thought of. Very good points. The dynamics between fans and real life OTP relationship not only, as you've pointed out, impact on drama success but also future acting opportunities for the leads. I for one want even more post-drama success for HSALF, because despite it's popularity, I think it deserves more.  

Holy kidney beans. Xu Feng and his cruel streak in the novel...not my cup of tea. I kept on wanting to re-write his character. To be fair, the novel is intensely from Jin Mi's POV. At least the way I read it, the focus is on Jin Mi's development at the expense of other characters. I feel the issues with novel-Xu Feng may've influenced the decisions the production made for drama-Xu Feng. Writing a convincingly cruel yet acceptable character is a mammoth challenge for any writing team. Essentially an anti-hero write. Of the two, Run Yu seems the easy 'write' for an anti-hero because has a clean slate (i.e. minimal backstory) and is the bad guy in the 2nd half of the series. If Xu Feng was developed as an anti-hero this would be a risk because if it were a fail, Xu Feng could be a detested character (not good for series or male lead popularity). So Xu Feng was not developed and the work was done on Run Yu instead. It looks like production made an easy and safe bet. Understandable in the scheme of things, but honestly, I wish production had of taken the risk and betted big on Xu Feng. Yang Mi betted big on so many levels with Eternal Love and look at the level of success it achieved. 

There is a lovely scene that felt like it was written for the screen - too bad they didn't film it. When Jin Mi notices her and Xu Feng's shadow slanting on the ground, she ponders at how it looks like they are embracing. She is recognising something but doesn't understand the meaning of it. While it's an obvious clue to her blossoming feelings despite the Heartless Pill, I loved the visual imagery the scene creates. Because for shadow to slant in a certain way evokes dusk. And the cadence of the writing at this point is a slo-mo to a stillpoint, very similar to the feeling you get when appreciating the still moment of dusk, when contemplation comes to the fore. 

Hoho...Jin Mi thought her feelings was a type of voodoo Xu Feng placed on her. Understandable because unlike in the series, Jin Mi discovers far later about the Heartless Pill. I didn't realise how much it changed Jin Mi's perspective and reactions while still ignorant about the Heartless Pill. She goes through a triple agony: not understanding why she has these reactions, suspecting she has feelings for her father's murderer (her ignorance about the truth doesn't take away from her conflict, a reflection of good writing), and guilt over killing Xu Feng. The voodoo bit I find quite funny, and I appreciate how it adds to Jin Mi's increasing understanding of what love feels like. Because love has been described in literature as being helpless and not in control - an apt voodoo metaphor. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Helene Tian said:

I couldn't watch Sweet Dreams because the first episode annoyed me so much LOOOOL i couldn't continue. But some people told me that it got really good in the next episodes... still i'm not convinced but now that i like DENG LUNG soooo much i must give it another try hahahaha (and at first i wanted to try because i love Dilireba so much!!)

Sweet Dreams was a mixed bag.  I almost dropped it after the first episode too, lol.

The best thing about it was the cast.  The writing had it moments, but often fell flat or was super cheesy, that said, it definitely had some interesting dynamics.  

I liked how it flipped things around a bit (ie had the girl protecting the guy, etc.)  The two leads (DD/DL) had a really cute chemistry and that was nice too.