[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Heavy Sweetness Ash-like Frost 香蜜沉沉烬如霜

sugarplum892

20 hours ago, assassine said:

Hello!

I have a really bad case of sepanx these days because of this drama. I'm currently on my third time rewatching it :lol:. The drama just brought out all these feels! I've also read the english translation of the novel and I'm so glad that they actually followed the original story and added certain things that made the drama even better. How I wish they also filmed the epilogues especially after marriage life of our OTP.

There were certain things I couldn't understand in the drama though. I have not seen the subs done by viki as it is not available in country so I'm hoping some of you can enlighten me:

1. Why is the glass fire exclusive to XF and the Heavenly Empress?

2. The eldest brother of the Heavenly Emperor and Fox immortal can contain the Light of XQ but others cannot? 

These two have been answered , so I won't answer these! (:

3. The Demon Princess refers to XF as Feng Xu, is it just the translation or the name means something else?

It's a (brotherly) term of endearment, as far as I understand

4. When Fox Immortal was giving away the bride, he discreetly asked XF why he hasn't told him about it. Were they talking about the Demon Princess substituting the bride or was it about something else?

Yes.  You got it!

5. When JM crushed the petal from her true form, red snowflakes fell. But when XF touched it, he spit blood. Why???

It's speculated that since XF had the petal in his first soul, it affected him thus.

Reveal hidden contents

Lastly, was the marriage between XF and JM in the Demon Realm valid? As SH appeared right after the Sincerity Stone test and the wedding was not concluded/ended formally. It also didn't help the XF walked out after SH lies were exposed.

Please anyone explain. I won't be able to fully move on if these questions keeps popping up everytime I rewatch the drama :D

XF considers it real, even though it was supposed to be fake(but everything changed).  They did their bows and the REAL stone lit up, meaning the couple was "meant to be".  SH came at the end of the the ceremony.

10 hours ago, ValentineJ said:

The timed comments on Viki at times angered me.  It made me questioned people's mental states, especially those who glossed over Run Yu narcissistic sociopath personality or claiming Xu Feng stole Jin Min when the girl was with him for 100 years and clearly had feelings for him, despite the pill.  

Oh gosh I hear you.  This is one of my problems with shipping culture in general.  I mean sure, I'll support couples who are well written and mutually attracted to each  other - but pairing someone with 

A. someone that character is not interested in,

B. someone who is obsessive/abusive,

C. both

or the dreaded D. in which we don't even want to go - (because oh go why do people do this it's not ok ever)The weird ships that shouldn't exist in the first place. 

is all just very uncomfortable and wrong to me

There are some dramas when I want to throw both male lead characters out into a dumpster since they're written so awful &/or irredeemable, I don't even know how anyone gets behind those relationships.

Another thing that bugs me is the flack JM gets for "being dumb" She's shown as resourceful and well read from the start.  Naive, yes, since she's been locked in one area with no outside contact for 5000 years, yes.  But ignorance is not stupidity.  I could go on about how intelligence and how I think that we all have our on ways of thinking and that IQ is mainly a sham, but I'll spare everyone my rantings about this topic, lol.             

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nudafu said:

I expected you would point this out :D.

Logistically, the attack would be expected. I would doubt Xu Feng as a God of War to not plan for a defence. However, I think there was an intent for there to be a battle from Xu Feng. There was never any attempt to negotiate peace. Even if we assume Run Yu wouldn't be interested in peace, an assumption and no action is big in the scheme of how the battle plays out. An intent for war is an invitation for war. I can't conclude if this war was inevitable. Then again, I am a firm believer that war can always be avoided with creative intelligence and pragmatism (extra points if you pick up the pun). 

I do think a battle was expected from XF.  Considering all that RY has done to XF (responsible for his, his parents deaths; Trying to kill XF when XF was mourning his parents, and lying about it - saying it was XF trying to rebel; casting him out of heaven realm, revoking his immortality etc)  However, as XF also destroyed half his power and had the ice thing attacking him ,  he'd try to avoid the war as much as he could, but I still maintain that RY has to be stopped and nothing can stop him except XF at this time.  

I don't see how these two could ever reach a peace treaty, with everything that's happened.  And...  If we look back to the politics of the drama, and the history of the demon realm, and it's factions - Remember how much the previous Heavenly Emperor has done to "keep the peace" - but at cost to the demon realm?  He keeps it destabilized so it's easier to control.  When RY comes into power all of the realms are a bit unstabilized for a period of time as everyone  tries to gain their footing and places.  Bird realm, who was allied with Heaven is now allied with Demon realm, Flower realm is now allied with Heaven with the upcoming wedding of RY & JM (before RY decides to genocide them)     

We also see RY side with Gucheng, after his failed attempt with Biancheng.   RY wants XF dead and JM by his side no matter the cost to anyone.   If we take a look at RY's words to XF, he completely dehumanizes demons when he outright states: 

"You have rebelled against the natural order of fate, came back to to life and become a demon.  As Heavenly Emperor I need to comply with destiny and Rid the World of Demons and Monsters"

He's completely beyond mad at this point.  

It's not just recent events (read: JM), war has been brewing between realms for a long time coming, due to the growing unrest of the demon realm, which often bears the brunt of political scheming.   It could parallel as countries allied to one another, but as power structures change - allies changes, and war is inevitable regardless, because of unrest.  Or even better, China itself with it's different states and an Emperor.    

I also  would like it if war could be avoided at all costs.  However, there are times you must fight for your right to existence, otherwise genocidal maniacs will be free to murder.  I hate fighting, but I can't say I'm a pacifist - there are times you have to fight for others and yourself because you're left with no other choice.  (I'm also thinking about the French revolution here.)  

XF  is fighting to stay alive because RY wants him dead.  He's also fighting for the Flower Realm, the Demon Realm and JM 

No, they didn't film that part. I was referring to 'if' production had of included the book scene. In the book, Xu Feng throttles Jin Mi right after she mentions the Heartless Pill:

"他手上一緊,我的喉頭欲斷" (his hand tightened, my throat nearly breaking)

(Source: https://novel101.com/novels/6df07874-746e-457b-bab2-facd50524365/chapters/jo)

Which led to the announcement of Run Yu's oncoming attack. Then Xu Feng bit Jin Mi's ear until it bled. Technically speaking, right before Run Yu's attack would be the ear bite. I read it as one continuous scene. 

I mainly skimmed the book - it mostly just made me uncomfortable.

'Reading into' it means thoughtful analysis to me. So I get your points. I agree Xu Feng was conflicted. I just see it this way:

Internal (emotional conflict) -> Awareness -> External (decisions & actions as a consequence of conflict) -> Consequences

I think Xu Feng is perfectly okay to be as prideful and emotionally conflicted as he chooses to be. Especially considering his experiences. If he is going to hurt, it will only affect him. It's after the 'awareness' bit that there is a choice between how the internal landscape hurts people aside from himself. I don't buy the 'I love/hate you so much I need to hurt you too'. Whether intentionally or unintentionally. There is always a choice. It comes from that 'awareness' stage - considering Xu Feng from his age, learning and experience, I would expect his level of maturity to get this. But surprisingly, his character seems to lack in wisdom concerning emotional management and it's consequences. (Fair enough, Xu Feng's family would definitely be considered dysfunctional).

It rubs me the wrong way when hurtful projection is focused on the one you love most. That being said, I do understand it. It's the negative flipside to why we can comfortably joke with the people closest to us. Technically, Xu Feng's mother betrayed him, by committing crimes supposedly to help him. Sui He betrayed him by framing him for a murder. While I can also understand that Xu Feng having the greatest reaction to Jin Mi's betrayal is a reflection of how much emotional trust and investment he had in the relationship, in the same token, there is more reason and space to give a benefit of the doubt. And the way I see it, there was an absence for a benefit of the doubt for Jin Mi of all people. Because if one looks at Xu Feng's murder in context, Jin Mi was a pawn. She has to pay the consequences for her actions, but I usually don't see pawns in the same way as the mastermind who engineered the event. The masterminds behind Xu Feng's murder were #1. Run Yu and #2. Mama Xu Feng/Sui He (inadvertently). Yes, Xu Feng eventually gave a benefit of a doubt to Jin Mi, but only after he consciously and actively put her through pain to get to that point. Did he really need to do that? I think not. I imagine that's my point of difference with most people, but nevertheless, that is the way I see it. 

I get that, and to a point, agree.  

But imho, people are infinitely complicated.  Everyone has a backstory, and history behind them, including the culture where we grow up. Especially in masculine dominated societies, like pretty much everywhere on earth.   It's pretty difficult to go beyond that.

We see from the start that XF is very protective of himself - probably because of his overprotective and doting mother.  I will not condone all of his actions at all - (as I do think he went overboard more than once.)  But his actions are totally in line with his character.  If we look at the hurt caused by JM we see this:

1) She accuses him of murdering her parents = she doesn't trust in him  

2) She sets up a plot to avenge her parents (after seeing dream beasts 'doctored' dreams) So she writes a love poem and tell him it's about him, (which sends him to the moon.)  She also tells him they can't be together (which he's already accepted, anyways), and she gives him a lock of her hair, knowing full well he will put it in (that place that they keep their life source) This grants her access to his life.  Remember the story Moon wrote?  About the mortal who kills their beloved by stabbing them in the toe (where their essence was kept - That was the parallel.)  I don't think JM full intended to kill XF in cold blood, but was for sure egged on by RY's words, seeing XF use glass fire, and the 'ghosts' of her parents,       

3) She literally stabs him in the back

4) He asks her why - she reiterates that he killed her father - so she still did not trust that he would never do such a thing

5) She tells him she NEVER loved him as he lay dying

6) RY tells him that that JM and RY love each other dearly and that they plotted to kill him

I don't know - That's not just killing him, that is quite a lot to process - How could he not believe RY when #2 is pretty damning evidence? 

It looks very premeditated.  JM was a person he trusted implicitly and I think him trying to distance himself  from her in the way he can to protect himself is completely understandable. (for the most part!)

I totally agree that it's not cool to project onto others & hurting them in the process.  But on the flip side, I wholly understand where XF is coming from.  He wants to believe JM, but he's afraid of being hurt/used (and even killed!) again.  He tries to distance himself again and again and begin anew - but JM keeps coming back. 

So he's left with 1) either she's spying on him for RY, or 2) She's telling the truth  

He begins to falter, but more or less is egged on by/manipulated by SH.  All the while, he's hating himself for still feeling the way he does about JM, and feels guilty as well - since what if she IS telling the truth?  

My biggest qualm with his actions was the scene where he forces himself on her and calls out SH's name.  Like she was trying to push him away, yet he still didn't stop until he said SH's name.  That was very uncomfortable and I'm glad there was not a "mutual cultivation" scene there - though XF hints that it did happen there in the last episode, and that makes me feel very uncomfortable, personally.  That whole scene bothered me much more than him dragging her to battle or attacking her with fire.

As I said, I don't condone all of his actions, but how is he to trust JM's words so easily?  He does, albeit slowly, and with the help of LY and Moon.  It's just such a big wound and it's not easy to get over such a big betrayal, all things considered.  He has no idea that RY is the mastermind until the wedding & especially during the war. 

I also agree that he did not need to put JM through pain, but XF's mind really doesn't work that way.

He's not trying to hurt her as much as he is trying to protect himself.     

Like I said earlier - I would have loved to have seen that hugging scene, (when tear JM came back for a moment) right after the wedding, (probably since when I saw that scene on a preview, I expected it to be after the wedding)  But I definitely understand why it wasn't that way in the drama.  In this scene, I don't condone his rough words to her at all, but at the same time I get that he's very emotional and not dealing with it well - which is to me, all too human, even if "problematic" and hurtful.  It feels more real, especially knowing his character is very internal and guarded.   

I differ with you here on these points. I thought Deng Lun's portrayal of Xu Feng had a slow burn intensity that brought Xu Feng's character alive. Which meant Deng Lun was the saving grace of l things Xu Feng. Deng Lun didn't have much to work with from both the series and novel. If it wasn't for Deng Lun's performance, I wouldn't have anything to work with to write his character. He reminded me of Wallace Chung's portrayal of Chu Beiji in 'General and I'. Both are warriors who are loud in their actions rather than words. 

There is a very specific purpose to my criticism of Xu Feng. It's a drive that makes me want to write from his POV. There is always a worthy challenge to write about people or events that incites our criticism. If I agreed with Xu Feng's character, I would not write about him. And apart from Xu Feng and his story (or lack of), I'm not motivated to write about anyone else. By extension, maybe Jin Mi in response to Xu Feng. Because their married life is simply hilarious. 

For the record, I am very nice to Xu Feng in my own writing :D

I also think DL was absolutely fantastic in the role - he caught my eye in Sweet Dreams as a very naturalistic performer.  He brought a lot of humanity to the XF character, who to me is a very internal dude, if that makes sense - I don't think I can imagine anyone else doing the role as well as he did.  

I'll still die on the hill that is I think XF is actually a well written character and no one can change my mind on that lol! :D

I'm glad you are inspired to write!  If you want to share, I'll definitely read!

Edited by Bluesy TB
fixing grammar, etc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, missnymeria said:

Actually, Xu Feng does say that since Jin Mi is in the Demon Realm of her own accord, there is no need or justification for a war and Run Yu should just desist and go back to the Heavenly Realm. So he did try to avoid the war although he knew that his words would fall on deaf ears.

Yup!

She was indeed a pawn in the grand scheme of things but she did act of her own agency (even Run Yu had no way of knowing she would actually go as far as killing Xu Feng. As she said in the revelation scene, he was a gambler and he gambled big), which cripples her with guilt later on. She stabs Xu Feng in the back in the most literal sense of the term and there was no room for doubts on that part. It was impossible for Xu Feng to give her the benefit of the doubt before being told of the other facts. Only then could he start to see the big picture with Run Yu as the sole mastermind behind his murder. And even then, the fact remained that she was capable of bringing herself to kill a person who had only shown only protection and affection to her.

Thank you for again putting into words something that I felt, but had trouble putting down on paper...er ..screen.   I still feel that "Eye for a eye.." quote is pretty efficient in telling how I feel about revenge.  Like Moon immortal says - "what's the good of killing for revenge?..." and "what's good if you die? [sic] the dead can't come back"         

So true! We were lucky to have Deng Lun play Xu Feng. With another actor playing Xu Feng, Run Yu and his charisma + massive character development would have steamrolled all over the character.

YES!

• Like 2

lol.. looks like everyone is watching sweet dreams..

me totally for DL.. although its not boring when i watch it, but if i drop it. .i don't feel the urge to go back to it.. unlike sweetness.. that i completed over 2 days :)

Q: if anyone watched korean variety heart signal 2, doesn't DL look like the doctor Do gyun? and a faint similarity to gong yoo (more in demeanour i think)

This boy is so awesome, when is his next drama coming up

read the translations.. drama was pretty close to the novel.. epilogues are really funny

do we have access to subbed DL stuff besides the drama?

Spoiler

what other dramas can i watch?

- sweetness liked

- ten peaches - watched, still like sweetness more, although thsi drama is good too

- legend of fuyao - bored to death

- b'ful love - adorable

- meteor - on hold, lost the drive

- O2O - meh except for yang yang

- NIF - hmm, on hold..lost interest

- bloody romance - on hold

don't want bad print/super old dramas unless they are exceptionally great

preferably recent (completely subbed ones) (not princess agent or king's woman or flame daughter.. just don't feel excited with the teasers)

Romance preferred

awesome fights/superpowers def preferred

• Like 1

The Viki comments just about drive me mad. I was personally shocked at how many commenters still wanted Jin Mi to end up with Night. They kept saying that she was dumb. She wasn't dumb just sheltered and  naive.  I like Viki comments but they're also double edged sword.

About the battle scene I think that his arrogance showed through.  He's described in the book as being arrogant and he was fully confident and sure of himself, which is true to his character.

• Like 2

Visiting this thread coz I missed the show today.

I feel it will be a while before another Xian xia drama lives up to my expectation.

I suppose Pillowbook is out next year but it's not the same  :(

Spoiler

Does anyone have any news on good Xian xia novels that may hit the small screen soon?

Really wish that Sansheng, Wangchuan Wu Shang will get a live adaptation.

Will watch Go, go squid for Yang Zi. The novel was interesting in the beginning but will admit got bored towards the end...

5 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

me totally for DL.. although its not boring when i watch it, but if i drop it. .i don't feel the urge to go back to it.. unlike sweetness.. that i completed over 2 days :)

Q: if anyone watched korean variety heart signal 2, doesn't DL look like the doctor Do gyun? and a faint similarity to gong yoo (more in demeanour i think)

read the translations.. drama was pretty close to the novel.. epilogues are really funny

Hide contents

- sweetness liked

- ten peaches - watched, still like sweetness more, although thsi drama is good too

- b'ful love - adorable

preferably recent (completely subbed ones) (not princess agent or king's woman or flame daughter.. just don't feel excited with the teasers)

Romance preferred

Looking forward to the response

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sary Em said:

Last week just finished without subs...now at mortal realm with eng subs....its so much better when I see the words and can finally follow properly.  This one is definitely worth a 3rd or 4th watch!  Lol.

hahaa I feel you on that Sary Em! I've been rewatching my favorite episodes on a daily basis lol.

By the way, super happy to come across a subbed bts of ashes of love!!!! The upolader also said that more bts subbed videos will be on it's way!!!!! Can't wait ❤

• Like 3

On 9/24/2018 at 11:45 PM, enigmatic_zephy said:

Reveal hidden contents

- sweetness liked

- b'ful love - adorable

Romance preferred

There's some stuff on viki - 

Because of Meeting You (on Viki) - I wasn't a big fan of.  Skipped quite a bit in the beginning, as the the whole "Nice Lady vs Jerk Lady" was so overdone  and dramatic.  (I was actually rooting more for the lady who was supposed to be mean) And oh god the abuse the main character goes through was ridiculous.  I liked parts of DL's character.  I like that he's smart and that wicked sense of humour, and some other aspects -  but disliked how the writers used the old chasing trope.  Also disliked the really conservative viewpoints.  And most of the characters were awful oh my god.  

Princess Agents (On Viki) - cool story, but hated the main lead dude in it "Oh I like you so I'm gonna force myself on you since I don't know how to communicate".  DL has a weirdly written character that he SOMEHOW pulls off and basically steals the entire show.  Also not a fan of those scenes where horses are injured - some of them looked a bit too real, and I hope none of them were actually hurt during it.  I may have skipped some episodes of this one, I can't remember 

Flowers in Fog (I googled it - cant remember where I found it) I couldn't watch this one.  I think I lasted 2 episodes.

Ode to Joy 1&2(Viki) - I skimmed through them.  Most of the male characters were awful, and it was just kinda boring.  There's not much here for me to want to keep watching, nothing of note politically, and maybe of some note socially, but not much.

Moment in Peking (on Viki, but not fully subbed.)  I think I saw the first episode, and skimmed through it a bit - but don't bother - it's not worth your time.  

(Whooo was able to get back onto my first account)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, bluesytb said:

There's some stuff on viki - 

Because of Meeting You (on Viki) - I wasn't a big fan of.  Skipped quite a bit in the beginning, as the the whole "Nice Lady vs Jerk Lady" was so overdone  and dramatic.  (I was actually rooting more for the lady who was supposed to be mean) And oh god the abuse the main character goes through was ridiculous.  I liked parts of DL's character.  I like that he's smart and that wicked sense of humour, and some other aspects -  but disliked how the writers used the old chasing trope.  Also disliked the really conservative viewpoints.  And most of the characters were awful oh my god.  

Princess Agents (On Viki) - cool story, but hated the main lead dude in it "Oh I like you so I'm gonna force myself on you since I don't know how to communicate".  DL has a weirdly written character that he SOMEHOW pulls off and basically steals the entire show.  Also not a fan of those scenes where horses are injured - some of them looked a bit too real, and I hope none of them were actually hurt during it.  I may have skipped some episodes of this one, I can't remember 

Flowers in Fog (I googled it - cant remember where I found it) I couldn't watch this one.  I think I lasted 2 episodes.

Ode to Joy 1&2(Viki) - I skimmed through them.  Most of the male characters were awful, and it was just kinda boring.  There's not much here for me to want to keep watching, nothing of note politically, and maybe of some note socially, but not much.

Moment in Peking (on Viki, but not fully subbed.)  I think I saw the first episode, and skimmed through it a bit - but don't bother - it's not worth your time.  

(Whooo was able to get back onto my first account)

ha h aha.. you are worse than me :P

I atleast have 2 dramas i said nice things about :P

really appreciate the response though.. thanks .. BTW, you saved me.. was planning on starting flowers in fog..t hat's DL's 1st drama.. he he.. now won't

Anyone watching, fights break sphere

9 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

ha h aha.. you are worse than me :P

I atleast have 2 dramas i said nice things about :P

really appreciate the response though.. thanks .. BTW, you saved me.. was planning on starting flowers in fog..t hat's DL's 1st drama.. he he.. now won't

Anyone watching, fights break sphere

Haha oops - yeah I tend to be highly critical of media.  I think a lot of it stems from being aware how it can profoundly affect us, shape our worldview - and hold onto (often dangerous) status quo.        

Oh, and just because I didn't like Flowers in Fog - doesn't mean you wont!  Always worth a try to watch at least one episode. 

Some fun dramas that I've enjoyed (though that aren't without fault, and have their own issues) are Candle in the Tomb, I Cannot Hug You, and The Eternal Love (not to be confused with Eternal Love/10 Miles)   They're all on viki.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really love HSALF, despite some issues with additional story for Demon Princess. I think this story is smartly written. 

If it retains the original 43 eps, it would have been even better. But.. I'm not gonna complain anymore it is what it is.... I've re-watched this story a lot... and tbh right now I'm just happy that the add story is for Demon Princess who is still a likable character LOL.

The element of foreshadowing, machination plot, Greek tragedy vibe and what if scenario in the Mortal trial arcs is really interesting for me. 

I'm not sure how to say this.. But I think the script writer put the Mortal trial arc in the middle to foreshadowed and show us events that are going to happen in after they return to the heaven realm (rebellion, sui he's involvement), what could have been (if she trusted him because in this Mortal realm, she help him, while in the heaven realm she didn't), and what will still happen anyway (her death). The what if is pretty strong for me.

But then again.. maybe it's just my imagination.. I mean the mortal realm's arc do exist in the book, the only difference is the timeline when It happen . The cynical side of me think that they add it to stretch the story... LOL but this one I can forgive.. 

What matter is... their time in the mortal realm is truly their happiest time... I just adore watching it.

Ok, right now, I want to say a bit about how I feel like the war is inevitable, as it will happen anyway, because of how the cycle that has happen since their parent's time, and repeated again in their time. All the series events that has happen in the story leads to the war. It is bound to happen in one form or another. And Jin Mi dying is what essentially stops the the destructive cycle between Jin Mi, Xu Feng and Ren Yu. That's why Jin Mi's decision to sacrifice her life for me is the right choice. And even though I know it will be heartbreaking for Xu Feng to accept, but I am so proud of Jin Mi at that time. It is fated from the start, and there's no escaping fate.

I'm not sure I'm I'm making any sense here. But I fell like there is an overarching theme in the story about karma, cause and effect that happen in the story.

I used to blame the Heaven King the most for everything that happens, because everything (the first cycle of hatred) started when he plays with three woman's heart, causing their future children to suffer the backlash and karma of what happen in the past. 

But looking back, and remembering Lady Doumu's word about Mercy. I do have a different opinion

Letting one life live isn't being merciful.
Letting a hundred lives live is also not being merciful.
Saving all living things from sufferings is what's merciful.

There is a fierce tiger in the mountain that was badly injured and dying.
Save or not to save?
- Of course, it should be saved. Jin Mi responded.

The tiger returned to the mountains after recovering. It hunts moose and eat weak rabbits. Although one life was saved, it brought harm to hundreds.

Being merciful won't help you find the 'way', but instead bring harm to all living things.

This is what got me thinking why are this cycle/karma happening to them?? When did it start? 

The first cycle happens to: Heaven King, Flower Deity and Water Deity. In the process, Heaven Queen was also drag in. Resulted with Flower Deity's death.. but the cycle didn't end here because it is being continued by her daughter, and also Heaven King's sons.

My thoughts are everything that has happen is Nature/Fate to correct the natural flow of life. Because everything happen because of one act of Kindness of young Water Deity to save Flower Deity, she was not supposed to make it. Thus there will be consequences. Nature ask for everything to be corrected. Thus Flower Deity (and Jin Mi) had to die. Everything has already foreshadowed. When It was mentioned by Doumu Lady, Jin Mi and Water deity just won't listen. That's why for me I'm Ok, and I can understand Jin Mi's death.

Her Resurrection for me is another matter of how fate if kind and just. She did a good thing, and thus She is granted a second chance of life. And there is a sense of beauty in there that is a blessing for her and Xu Feng.. T_T finally they can be free of the endless destructive cycle in the past.

Now, ignoring that this story is written by the scriptwriter, let's talk about the last event before the war, and consider what I say about fate and how all the series of events do leads to the war.

Do you ever wonder will Xu Feng and Liu Ying's trap for Sui He in the wedding work without Jin Mi? My answer is YES! It will still work.

But without Jin Mi there, there is no need for Heaven to start a war with the Demon.  

With Jin Mi there, adding Ren Yu's jealousy of Xu Feng and possessiveness of Jin Mi, it happens.

At least this is how I view it.

When Xu Feng died all I felt is the injustice done to him... but Jin Mi's death, brings me a sense of rightness. There is no other way to put and end of this endless cycle of violence. Ren Yu will never stop as he is in the point of no return, while Xu Feng will have to defend himself all the time against Ren Yu, while  it's equally tragic for Jin Mi to will always going to be stuck in the middle. Thus her death is right. It basically broke the cycle of violence that happens since their parents time. 

Ps. still hate the heaven king and Ren Yu. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

I really love HSALF, despite some issues with additional story for Demon Princess. I think this story is smartly written. 

If it retains the original 43 eps, it would have been even better. But.. I'm not gonna complain anymore it is what it is.... I've re-watched this story a lot... and tbh right now I'm just happy that the add story is for Demon Princess who is still a likable character LOL.

The element of foreshadowing, machination plot, Greek tragedy vibe and what if scenario in the Mortal trial arcs is really interesting for me. 

I'm not sure how to say this.. But I think the script writer put the Mortal trial arc in the middle to foreshadowed and show us events that are going to happen in after they return to the heaven realm (rebellion, sui he's involvement), what could have been (if she trusted him because in this Mortal realm, she help him, while in the heaven realm she didn't), and what will still happen anyway (her death). The what if is pretty strong for me.

But then again.. maybe it's just my imagination.. I mean the mortal realm's arc do exist in the book, the only difference is the timeline when It happen . The cynical side of me think that they add it to stretch the story... LOL but this one I can forgive.. 

What matter is... their time in the mortal realm is truly their happiest time... I just adore watching it.

Ok, right now, I want to say a bit about how I feel like the war is inevitable, as it will happen anyway, because of how the cycle that has happen since their parent's time, and repeated again in their time. All the series events that has happen in the story leads to the war. It is bound to happen in one form or another. And Jin Mi dying is what essentially stops the the destructive cycle between Jin Mi, Xu Feng and Ren Yu. That's why Jin Mi's decision to sacrifice her life for me is the right choice. And even though I know it will be heartbreaking for Xu Feng to accept, but I am so proud of Jin Mi at that time. It is fated from the start, and there's no escaping fate.

I'm not sure I'm I'm making any sense here. But I fell like there is an overarching theme in the story about karma, cause and effect that happen in the story.

I used to blame the Heaven King the most for everything that happens, because everything (the first cycle of hatred) started when he plays with three woman's heart, causing their future children to suffer the backlash and karma of what happen in the past. 

But looking back, and remembering Lady Doumu's word about Mercy. I do have a different opinion

This is what got me thinking why are this cycle/karma happening to them?? When did it start? 

The first cycle happens to: Heaven King, Flower Deity and Water Deity. In the process, Heaven Queen was also drag in. Resulted with Flower Deity's death.. but the cycle didn't end here because it is being continued by her daughter, and also Heaven King's sons.

My thoughts are everything that has happen is Nature/Fate to correct the natural flow of life. Because everything happen because of one act of Kindness of young Water Deity to save Flower Deity, she was not supposed to make it. Thus there will be consequences. Nature ask for everything to be corrected. Thus Flower Deity (and Jin Mi) had to die. Everything has already foreshadowed. When It was mentioned by Doumu Lady, Jin Mi and Water deity just won't listen. That's why for me I'm Ok, and I can understand Jin Mi's death.

Her Resurrection for me is another matter of how fate if kind and just. She did a good thing, and thus She is granted a second chance of life. And there is a sense of beauty in there that is a blessing for her and Xu Feng.. T_T finally they can be free of the endless destructive cycle in the past.

Now, ignoring that this story is written by the scriptwriter, let's talk about the last event before the war, and consider what I say about fate and how all the series of events do leads to the war.

Do you ever wonder will Xu Feng and Liu Ying's trap for Sui He in the wedding work without Jin Mi? My answer is YES! It will still work.

But without Jin Mi there, there is no need for Heaven to start a war with the Demon.  

With Jin Mi there, adding Ren Yu's jealousy of Xu Feng and possessiveness of Jin Mi, it happens.

When Xu Feng died all I felt is the injustice done to him... but Jin Mi's death, brings me a sense of rightness. There is no other way to put and end of this endless cycle of violence. Ren Yu will never stop as he is in the point of no return, while Xu Feng will have to defend himself all the time against Ren Yu, while  it's equally tragic for Jin Mi to will always going to be stuck in the middle. Thus her death is right. It basically broke the cycle of violence that happens since their parents time. 

My Question is:

If nature decides the course and takes it upon itself to keep correcting the course with every little deviation,

what are we humans meant to do?

Karma, nature, and fate go against an active ,responsible life choice

When someone does something wrong, the victim doesn't deserve it, the perpetuator is wrong no matter what.

If nature ruled everything, people would simply give up on labor

Although i get what you are saying.. and well in my observation too, for lack of better words, have seen karma play out.. more like newton's reaction vs action..  and every action gets its reaction in this lifecycle itself.. but indeed there is something carrying over - call it fate/previous karma/or reactions to others actions adn one's own environment..

E.g. you born in slum are doomed to a life nobody would want.. but was it just a byreaction that you were born where you were born.. or really fate/karma playing a role

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lynne22 said:

I'm having so much trouble letting go - I don't even know what to do with myself, lol.  

I don't mind most of the additional  stories, as everything tied in nicely - but I do think they lasted a bit too long.  Like Demon princess is a pretty cool character - but I think they overdid it on her and Mu Ci's arc by a bit, at a detriment to LY's character.   RY's Mom storyline also drug a bit, imho.  Those two storylines were a bit too drug out and could have been handled better and not as heavy handed, if that makes sense.  But what's done is done so, yeah - like you said - there's no point in complaining.  

YES.  Very good thoughts here.  It was very smart to put the Mortal Realm in the middle.

I definitely think the Mortal realm was instrumental in the drama - it's where the yundan cracks and JM learns what love is(from the frost flower in her heart), and most importantly (we the audience and JM herself) learn/s that she is, in fact, in love with Xu Feng.  If the Mortal Realm doesn't exist - that probably would change the XF character.  It also would take away much of JM's agency, and a big period of her growth.  She's a doctor in Mortal realm  (who is knowledgeable about impotence) so this whole arc is super important as JM "grows up" = understands about love & sexuality.     

I love the scenes where he's deaf/mute, in Mortal, (as Yaya) but I feel as Yi, he's a too bit pushy (just in text) and jealous as he tries to woo JM.  Maybe it's just me overthinking.  I mean to his credit, he's unknowledgeable in love and gets bad advise from his man.  However - he does let her make the first move and does not touch her and lets her make the first move.  The "Are you really willing to marry me?"  Line was very important to me too.    

You're making sense, to me! Nice analysis. 

At this point, XF -probably- cannot win against RY and the only things going to stop RY is if :

RY "obtains" JM = XF probably dies or is imprisoned. demon realm is more heavily subjugated or even wiped out

RY dies in battle = utter chaos ensues between the realms, Heaven would probably try to off XF

XF dies in battle  = RY "takes" JM, (JM at this point would most likely kill herself), demon realm subjugated/wiped out

JM dies in the hands of both brothers - RY is stopped with 'minimal' (for lack of a better word) casualties, peace is restored

The only other solution (which would have been the best) was is RY got a hold of himself and been all "Oh right JM is a living breathing person with her own wants and desires and she has no feelings for me and in love with XF.  Maybe I should stop all this nonsense."  But he already hit that tipping point, when he about genocided Flower realm and is even more corrupted by Qiong Qi.  

One of the best things about HSALF is that the stakes are so high.  Like there is so much on the line - and you care about the characters so it is very effective.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

My Question is:

If nature decides the course and takes it upon itself to keep correcting the course with every little deviation,

what are we humans meant to do?

I think this could be side stepped is HSALF universe since they are all immortals/gods.  But I do get your point and it yeah  - this is a huge (and frightening)topic that philosophers still today talk about. 

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Karma, nature, and fate go against an active ,responsible life choice

When someone does something wrong, the victim doesn't deserve it, the perpetuator is wrong no matter what.

If nature ruled everything, people would simply give up on labor

Although i get what you are saying.. and well in my observation too, for lack of better words, have seen karma play out.. more like newton's reaction vs action..  and every action gets its reaction in this lifecycle itself.. but indeed there is something carrying over - call it fate/previous karma/or reactions to others actions adn one's own environment..

E.g. you born in slum are doomed to a life nobody would want.. but was it just a byreaction that you were born where you were born.. or really fate/karma playing a role

In regards to the HSALF - Someone in an earlier post said something to the effect of JM/XF saying screw you to fate and taking it into their own hands - Flower deity shouldn't have survived = JM shouldn't have been born = JM and XF shouldn't be together.  

Now I'm left wondering what would've happened if Flower deity/JM never existed.

Wait -

RY probably wouldn't exist.  Since Heavenly Emperor most likely wouldn't have chased his mom (since she reminded him of Flower deity)

Ok hold on I need some time to process this.

To go back to real life - you definitely raise interesting questions and I certainly don't have answers to them.  But I think I could possibly point out that in our reality, those with the most are without a doubt the least human, and those people/companies/etc actively pursue measures that keep people in destitution and wanting.  So where does that put karma/fate?  Will the 1% get their just dues?  

p.s. I honestly love this forum, guys.  Thanks for everything!        

• Like 1

Loved this series zipped through it only a few days....I had some ques not sure if answered in previous post....

i know they said denlung subbed his own voice but they must have used a substitute in some scenes..didn’t sound like him..

Skimmed through the book....

the biggest thing I found weird....he was supposed to be warrior...when her father died they didn’t see each other for three years during that time Phoenix and the older brother was secretly going against each other......they did not build up much screen time on that....suddenly says three year later and on wedding day the older brother plans conspiracy on his wedding day....Phoenix was supposed to have upper hand ....I thought it was dumb he didn’t realize his army betrayed him...

at the final battle when she dies...if she didn’t intervene Phoenix would have died a second time...he had lost half his power the night before.....during his battle with his brother he was stabbed several times....in the book i don’t recall him failing again....

and in book he had to wait 5000 years for her to

be reincarnated....in drama 500 years....although I thought in reincarnation u don’t remember past life.....so I was confused....,can’t tell if she immortal or just human...

I loved their crying scenes....normally was not a Yangzhi fan but I thought she was excellent in this series......I don’t even recall what role Denglun had in ode to the joy 2....I didn’t like her in that series....I liked her in Changsha with Wallace’s Huo but in ode to the joy almost didn’t recognized her.......she looked like a totally different person almost thought she had plastic surgery.......but maybe she lost so much weight since Changsha series....anyway she was so good in this series as inocent  role and as a girl in so much heart pain...

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 1:45 AM, enigmatic_zephy said:

Hide contents

- sweetness liked

- b'ful love - adorable

Romance preferred

lol the things you watch just for a glimpse of your fave!!! :lol:

I am watching.... Magic Star!!! The main lead is Wu Lei but Deng Lun is one of the guest star and he's a white hair hottie so..... :wub:

Deng Lun's gonna be on Happy Camp Oct 1st so I'm hoping atleast he can sing a snippet of the OST!!! :D And then after Deng Lun it's Leos' turn on Happy Camp at a later date.

3 hours ago, El Lieu said:

Loved this series zipped through it only a few days....I had some ques not sure if answered in previous post....

i know they said denlung subbed his own voice but they must have used a substitute in some scenes..didn’t sound like him..

Skimmed through the book....

the biggest thing I found weird....he was supposed to be warrior...when her father died they didn’t see each other for three years during that time Phoenix and the older brother was secretly going against each other......they did not build up much screen time on that....suddenly says three year later and on wedding day the older brother plans conspiracy on his wedding day....Phoenix was supposed to have upper hand ....I thought it was dumb he didn’t realize his army betrayed him...

at the final battle when she dies...if she didn’t intervene Phoenix would have died a second time...he had lost half his power the night before.....during his battle with his brother he was stabbed several times....in the book i don’t recall him failing again....

and in book he had to wait 5000 years for her to

be reincarnated....in drama 500 years....although I thought in reincarnation u don’t remember past life.....so I was confused....,can’t tell if she immortal or just human...

I loved their crying scenes....normally was not a Yangzhi fan but I thought she was excellent in this series......I don’t even recall what role Denglun had in ode to the joy 2....I didn’t like her in that series....I liked her in Changsha with Wallace’s Huo but in ode to the joy almost didn’t recognized her.......she looked like a totally different person almost thought she had plastic surgery.......but maybe she lost so much weight since Changsha series....anyway she was so good in this series as inocent  role and as a girl in so much heart pain...

I'm pretty sure he dubbed all his scenes. I know he sometimes sound different when he whispers!! Which scenes you think that's not his voice?

Well, alot of Phoenix warrior like persona got taken out of the drama so... it is what it is! :sweatingbullets: