[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

13 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Exactly! As she rightly said, when the pain is on others it's easy to be generous and sympathetic, but when the pain is on self, all compassion goes out the window. 

She didn't even flinch when she torture Mdm Kang's people for confession. 

And the way she had her revenge of CL, cold. 

Can u imagine if what she's capable of, with her intelligence, and her astuteness, if she didn't have granny as her moral compass?

Show did exceptionally showing that no one is saint. No one is all forgiving, because they are only human. Flawed.

They bear grudges, they give an eye for an eye. 

No one waits for karma to do their job...

I have to admit that ML is my favorite female lead in a drama. I don't think of her as dangerous in the sense of someone who is unreasonable, but more as a person who lives by the code: "An eye for an eye" or "A life for a life".  As a child, if she saw unfair behavior, she immediately called attention to it and so did her other sister.  However, her grandmother taught her to be a proper lady, but ML's strong desire for revenge against those who killed her mother made her learn patience's and how to keep a secret---even from her grandmother. She pretended to not be that smart so others would let their guard down around her.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Exactly! As she rightly said, when the pain is on others it's easy to be generous and sympathetic, but when the pain is on self, all compassion goes out the window. 

She didn't even flinch when she torture Mdm Kang's people for confession. 

And the way she had her revenge of CL, cold. 

Can u imagine if what she's capable of, with her intelligence, and her astuteness, if she didn't have granny as her moral compass?

Show did exceptionally showing that no one is saint. No one is all forgiving, because they are only human. Flawed.

They bear grudges, they give an eye for an eye. 

No one waits for karma to do their job...

I am still on the fence about grandma being moral compass.The way she was kept in the dark about ML's scheming and the girl's steadfast refusal to divulge.I think it's her own belief system that she uses as her compass.If she feels an advise is reasonable she might adhere/in corporate but it's not gauranteed. 

She went with granny's advise on Aunt Kang because the old lady was the victim.Old Madam Sheng's views take precedence in her own matter.

6 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm not sure but based on my knowledge on historical practices, unless her father openly disowns her (which he won't do cuz it will stir up a public scandal), he has to take her back. Not only that, to avoid public eye the divorce will be done as quiet as possible. What he does to her after that though, is behind closed doors. It can either be being grounded or exiled for life. Or he can give a signal to her husband to kill her off in silence (I don't think he would do that but possible). All and all, they will deal with it underground.

These are 2 methods that are usually used in this kind of situation if both parties are smart. Another stupid method is that the husband kicks her out while the father refuses to take her back. Letting her loose is usually the root to another trouble.

@LinhLinh  Thanks for giving me the explanation on why concubines was a must then.. 

Your right letting Molan a loose to wreck havoc on peoples lives will be worst then Aunt Kang wrecking havoc.. If she's divorced I could see her under house arrest at the farm but thats still not fool proof.. But sending her there and feed her posion would be a good way for her to go.. She can reside at the farm with her mom since they both can't be placed in the temple.. The sinister women, I kind of feel sorry for the brother and his new born daughter..

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

@Golden FlowerAll his property and the Gu manor will be taken back by the emperor as imperial property? Then Madam Qin will have no place to stay then? Will she be driven out of the Gu Manor in that case? Could she not have foreseen that? It would be so nice to see Madam Qin thrown out if that were to happen?

@zenya22  Now I'm not following this.. How can the courts take his personal property that he inherited from his mothers family.. this sounds a lil shady to me.. It seems like they want his salt mines from the Bai family.. The court only supposed to take the property that rewarded him with.. So is this how they going to brake up the houses.. This sounds like something Step Mom and the Ed came up with.. I have seen historical dramas where men fall out of the graces of the court but managed tio stay in there wealthy homes because of there own personal property.. 

The big question is do they ever finds out that all went there screaming he killed and innocent person was lying.. It would have been better if they blamed the killing on Ming Lan she could have gotten away with it.. 

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Villainy is never entirely product of an era..it also has an element of human nature that indulges in it.Even if a person has a good upbringing they can turn to a life of crime.Molan and Aunt Kang are not product of neglect in the era.Contrarily they were treated better and received preferential treatment than their male siblings.

@minglan1  Aunt Kang is the product of Old Mdm she has raised her to believe she can do no wrong, Whatever she did was right when all knew it was wrong.. This is why SH said no wonder her villianess acts are getting worst as she commits them.. She did what she did because she knew mom and brother would hold up the sky for her.. Big Mdm never taught her to fear the gods because in her mind there was no gods to give her retirbution but it was there in her face she just didn't recognize it.. ( her husband and all his Shu children from the girls to the boys) She seen herslf as a god and was allowed to do whatever she liked.. I think she got this trait from her mom.. 

When it came to Old Mdm, She went to the ED to see if she still carried any weight in the court since she just moved back..       

Finally caught up to ep.63. ML is just too awesome. People dont deserve her mercy. The Aunt Kang/Poison Arc is so good. ML can definitely be a detective in ancient times. She's so intuitive & insightful as always. Was ZLY pregnant during these episodes? She seems to have the pregnancy glow. I love how ML  handles everything seamlessly while pregnant. Total bad@$$, while walking like a cute penguin & also, ML w/a sword B). Aunt Kang deserves to get flogged to her deathbed. Hopefully Madame Qin will be next to get whipped.

Seeing ML teary as TY leaves for salt patrol makes me :tears:. I love ML interacting w/Ronger & Xian er. So cute. ML & Grandma's relationship is so endearing. The best relationship in this drama, besides her relationship w/TY. Sheng/Madame Sheng doesn't deserve ML. They are both so moronic, it baffles me that their 3 kids came out decent/kind. 

2 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Finally watched up to ep.63.ML is just too awesome. People dont deserve her mercy. The Aunt Kang/Poison Arc is so good. ML can defintely be a detective in ancient times. She's so intuitive & insightful. Was ZLY

pregnant during these episodes? She seems to have the pregnancy glow. I love how ML handles everything seamlessly while pregnant. Total bad@$$, while walking like a cute penguin. ML w/a sword B). Aunt Kang deserves to get flogged to her deathbed. Hopefully Madame Qin will be next to get whipped.

Seeing ML teary as TY leaves for salt patrol makes me :tears:. I love ML interacting w/Ronger & Xian er. So cute. ML & Grandma's relationship is so endearing. The best relationship in this drama, besides her relationship w/TY. Sheng/Madame Sheng doesn't deserve ML. They are both so moronic, it baffles me that their 3 kids came out decent/kind. 

Lol..I had the same thought about SH and Big Madam's kids few episodes back.

5 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Lol..I had the same thought about SH and Big Madam's kids few episodes back.

I'm so happy that ML had Grandma all those years ago & now. Seeing ML cry for Grandma made me teary. These few episodes have been great. I love the focus on ML's character. She's so resilient. I'm just a tad nervous on how everything else will be resolved. So much political upheaval has happened. I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers. 

10 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

I'm so happy that ML had Grandma all those years ago up & to now. Seeing ML cry for Grandma made me teary. These few episodes have been great. I'm just so nervous how everything else will be resolved. So much political upheaval has happened. I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers. 

We are splitting hairs trying to crack the plot :lol:.Gran and granddaughter are a lovely duo.I love their banter about love sickness when they miss each other.

Kitchen politics has moved to palace politicking.We should have a poll on  eve of ending- Who plots better the women or men?:P

17 hours ago, zenya22 said:

@Golden FlowerAll his property and the Gu manor will be taken back by the emperor as imperial property? Then Madam Qin will have no place to stay then? Will she be driven out of the Gu Manor in that case? Could she not have foreseen that? It would be so nice to see Madam Qin thrown out if that were to happen?

I'm saying the properties should be taken away but apparently not as ML held one month birthday celebration of her son at Chen garden and she was there when rebels (ED's soldiers) came. The Gu family ancestral hall also looks the same. @sava2sava I'm not talking about personal property owned by GTY being inherited from his maternal grandfather. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that both stepmom and ML can stay in Marquess manor and Chen garden if GTY is no longer General and Marquess and no one else from Gu family holds the title. Both houses are given by previous emperor for being Marquess and current one to GTY for being General. Especially Chen garden is given to GTY for being fu tou zhi wei shi (person in charge of capital army that protects the imperial family) and it should be taken away after being convicted criminal. An official being demoted vs convicted felon are totally different situations. 

2 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

I'm saying the properties should be taken away but apparently not as ML held one month birthday celebration of her son at Chen garden and she was there when rebels (ED's soldiers) came. The Gu family ancestral hall also looks the same. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that both stepmom and ML can stay in Marquess manor and Chen garden if GTY is no longer Marquess and no one else from Gu family holds the title. Both houses are given by previous emperor and current one for being Marquess family and General. Especially Chen garden is given to GTY for being a Hutuo Tu (person in charge of capital army that protects the imperial family) and it should be taken away after being convicted criminal. An official being demoted vs convicted felon are totally different situations. 

I don't think that gty id convicted. Ml did present her petition on behalf of gty (next episode) and i guess because of that gty is only demoted (mind you these all just a smoke screen to trap ED) 

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

I am still on the fence about grandma being moral compass.The way she was kept in the dark about ML's scheming and the girl's steadfast refusal to divulge.I think it's her own belief system that she uses as her compass.If she feels an advise is reasonable she might adhere/in corporate but it's not gauranteed. 

She went with granny's advise on Aunt Kang because the old lady was the victim.Old Madam Sheng's views take precedence in her own matter.

Personally I do feel that grandma has been guiding her to a certain extent. 

We all have our own belief system in a way, but to discount influences of others would be arrogant. 

It's easy for us to say that the antagonists are just evil, but in reality, how many are truly born evil just because? 

Daniang is simple minded, and not the smartest cookie of the lot, but even ML said she can see how HL, RL and CB turned out the way they did. Because she does nurture them well. She may have temper, but she's not vicious. She's rather kind in nature, which was why granny chose her as SH's wife. That even if you give her a knife, it would never occur to her to use that knife in her hands to kill another. And that's why none of her kids are vicious or have ill intentions. 

There are a lot of times we were shown grandma and ML discussing over things and her thoughts and reasoning on them. 

ML may have hide some facts and truths from granny like we do from our parents, but it would be unfair to say our parents have no hands in shaping us to be the way we are, the same way granny shaped ML to be who she is. 

Whilst we do have our own belief system which were innate as part of us, there are also influences, circumstances and people that shape a person to who they are..

Just my 2 cents. 

15 hours ago, mooose said:

I also thought the writing was a bit weak on this. With Aunty Kang she wanted the influence and wealth of the Shengs at her disposal and she had the love and backing of her maiden family.

MoL is supposed to be smart but why go through all that just for petty jealousy? She is already an outsider with the Shengs. If Kang had succeeded,  then GTY would have wanted her life and who would defend her? With the stakes so high, the writers' should have built up MoL's motive to be more convincing. 

Although I agree that there are a lot of weakness in the writing for the whole drama especially in recent episodes including ruckus caused by Wang family, stepmom & Gu family, Bai family and MN in imperial throne room and reason GTY being imprisoned and exiled, I think Molan's motive to destroy ML is understandable and not weak. Molan is not only jealous but hates ML to guts by this point. She might also think that she won't be caught for releasing Aunty Kang as it was stepmom who took Kang in and Kang would never admit getting help from Molan, a shu daughter whom she despised of. I have summarized Molan's attitudes towards ML from the beginning to this point in my previous post two pages back. Molan is like Aunty Kang who thinks that her needs should be given priority over anyone and her position including in their father's heart should be higher than any of her sister. She didn't think that she would be treated as outsider by SH until recently. She would be really furious when she was scolded by SH for trying to involve in Sheng's family affair no matter how much she beg him to tell her when she knew ML and her guards were involved in solving this situation. She was already pissed at ML for not allowing her mother spiritual tablet to be erected in the temple as well as when empress said the girl GTY is going to marry is very lucky and blessed (it was shown Molan squashing Longan fruit with her fingers at the Polo match where GTY proposed to ML and requested empress's hairpin as bestowment for his new bride). 

@leeza77 I'm pretty sure GTY was convicted, imprisoned and going to be exiled after imprisoned for certain period. He wasn't just being demoted. If he is just demoted, he won't be imprisoned, exiled and his hereditary Marquess title won't be taken away, just his general title will be taken away. I'm not talking about grandplan if it exists but in the eyes of public, they took away his Marquess title (Molan mentioned about it and belittled ML and ML didn't deny it). In the preview, empress actually told ML why GTY can't be imprisoned and exiled when he committed crime right after ML struck the drum (she was wearing noble lady attire). ML also told her family that they still have time to figure things out before he is actually exiled after autumn. General Shen also requested emperor to let him take convicted felon Gu along with his army as he is good with military strategies being excellent in both fields. He would make sure to bring him back, let him go back to prison after coming back and then exiled him in the autum. Emperor first denied general shen's request but later approved since Wang family requested to let GTY go to war (stepmom told her maid Xiang mama that ED asked Wang family to do that request since it is easier to kill GTY away from palace than being imprisoned in palace near emperor and his other powerful friends). 

59 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Personally I do feel that grandma has been guiding her to a certain extent. 

We all have our own belief system in a way, but to discount influences of others would arrogant. 

It's easy for us to say that the antagonists are just evil, but in reality, how many are truly born evil just because? 

Daniang is simple minded, and not the smartest cookie of the lot, but even ML said she can see how HL, RL and CB turned out the way they did. Because she does nurture them well. She may have temper, but she's not vicious. She's rather kind in nature, which was why granny chose her as SH's wife. That even if you give her a knife, it would never occur to her to use that knife in her hands to kill another. And that's why none of her kids are vicious or have ill intentions. 

There are a lot of times we were shown grandma and ML discussing over things and her thoughts and reasoning on them. 

ML may have hide some facts and truths from granny like we do from our parents, but it would be unfair to say our parents have no hands in shaping us to be the way we are, the same way granny shaped ML to be who she is. 

Whilst we do have our own belief system which were innate as part of us, there are also influences, circumstances and people that shape a person to who they are..

Just my 2 cents. 

I will try to rephrase what I wanted to convey.Humans are complex.Enviornment,parental/ other people influence,things read, observed... plays a part in shaping a person.Each thing is like a piece of a  jigsaw puzzle...Untill all the pieces are tied the complete picture won't emerge.

Which piece is more important is difficult to say.The input pieces for each person might be similar but the output (final picture which emerges)is always different.

For ex.RL,HL are siblings being exposed to same enviornment,parents etc., yet their belief system is different..Therefore how they respond to similar situation is also different.

CB ,QH both place lot of significance on  righteousness as a characteristic trait but the way it manifests in each is different.Though the exposure on conventions,expectations,study of it would be similar.

Similarly ML loves,respects as well as discusses things with grandma...But when it comes to acting in a situation she will not always adhere to grandma's thought process even if she is aware of them..Grandma doesn't believe in a tooth for a tooth approach therefore she was out of the loop for CL's issue...The poisoning case was different..She was the victim hence her wishes would take precedence..ML would acqueisce and she did. That's what my understanding has been from the character potrayals in the series...

I didn't consider Daniang as evil.She has a petty,selfish attitude... SH too has that..But none of the children had that parental influence even when exposed to it.

To sum it up it is not about disregarding parental influence but it might not be an overriding factor to make a decision on many occasions.

1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

Although I agree that there are a lot of weakness in the writing for the whole drama especially in recent episodes including ruckus caused by Wang family, stepmom & Gu family, Bai family and MN in imperial throne room and reason GTY being imprisoned and exiled, I think Molan's motive to destroy ML is understandable and not weak. Molan is not only jealous but hates ML to guts by this point. She might also think that she won't be caught for releasing Aunty Kang as it was stepmom who took Kang in and Kang would never admit getting help from Molan, a shu daughter whom she despised of. I have summarized Molan's attitudes towards ML from the beginning to this point in my pervious post two pages ago. Molan is like Aunty Kang who thinks that her needs should be given priority over anyone and her position including in their father's heart should be higher than any of her sister. She didn't think that she would be treated as outsider by SH until recently. She would be really furious when she was scolded by SH for trying to involve in Sheng's family affair no matter how much she beg him to tell her when she knew ML and her guards were involved in solving this situation. She was already pissed at ML for not allowing her mother spiritual tablet to be erected in the temple as well as when empress said the girl GTY is going to marry is very lucky and blessed (it was shown Molan squashing Longan fruit with her fingers at the Polo match where GTY proposed to ML and requested empress's hairpin as bestowment for his new bride). 

@leeza77 I'm pretty sure GTY was convicted, imprisoned and going to be exiled after imprisoned for certain period. He wasn't just being demoted. If he is just demoted, he won't be imprisoned, exiled and his hereditary Marquess title won't be taken away, just his general title will be taken away. I'm not talking about grandplan if it exists but in the eyes of public, they took away his Marquess title (Molan mentioned about it and belittled ML and ML didn't deny it). In the preview, empress actually told ML why GTY can't be imprisoned and exiled when he committed crime right after ML struck the drum (she was wearing noble lady attire). ML also told her family that they still have time to figure things out before he is actually exiled in autumn. General Shen also requested emperor to let him take convicted felon Gu along with his army as he is good with military strategies being excellent in both fields. He would make sure to bring him back, let him go back to prison after coming back and then exiled him in the autum. Emperor first denied general shen's request but later approved since Wang family requested to let GTY go to war (stepmom told her maid Xiang mama that ED asked Wang family to do that request since it is easier to kill GTY away from palace than being imprisoned in palace near emperor and his other powerful friends). 

In one of the recent previews, eunuch Li confronted ML "How dare you defy imperior edcit and not come into the palace. Is Gu Clan revolting against the emperor?" ML just ordered Shitou to detain eunuch Li. This is in line with the novel plot when ED launched rebellion and tried to lure noblewomen from families of emperor's side into the palace and used them as hostages. If ML wasn't Marquis Gu's wife, it doesn't make sense for eunuch Li to deliver such an order. This is one proof that GTY just got demoted but didn't lose his title.

17 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

That's what I love most about the character GTY, the ability to still be in control of his bad happenings is amazing, even if he planned or it is not planned, he still make sure not to fell down by his obstacles but would rather make best for it

Yeah, he’s also the type of person who wont give you the satisfaction of watching him suffering. Kick out of the house? Lol caned by the ed? Lol detained and possible exile?  Lol.. amazing

17 hours ago, leeza77 said:

In normal circumstances, yes i agreed. But gty, despite of having a cheerful disposition, i think he's an unsecure guy. Being unloved by the father and fake love by the stepmom. When he saw the kind of love and devotion share between ml and grandma, he wanted the same thing. And he got it tonight from ml. I can't blame him for being happy for that despite the crappy circumstances. He didn't plan that. Just took pleasure out of it. 

I think he wants a verbal and action proof, with mn she constantly praised him and also depended on him, while ml havent even say anything romantic wise to needing him and always seems not to care whether he wants to add concubines or not. That for him isnt love, while ml thinks that is enough.  

17 hours ago, lclarakl said:

There is one thing that caught me off guard in this drama--the amount of well placed humor.  It's not over the top, slapstick comedy (which I hate), it's a natural flow and it helps tone down the angst so it doesn't bring down the drama.  The actors are also natural in their interaction which makes the humor works.

Some of my favorite comic scenes (there are many, many, more):

1) GTY - when his stepmother and aunt wanted to bring him the news that ML had been "engaged" to HE and all the drama surrounding his female cousin.  GTY informed them that ML and HE wasn't engaged, and he was the one behind the plot to break them up so he could get ML for himself. 

2) ML - When she had to escape from the palace as a page and deliver the decree from the king. She was running from "Second Uncle" (GTY) and finally noticed it was him, and the crying conversation that ensued with him laughing at her pointing out that the Officer she was looking for was with him--I love that scene.

3) ML's Father - although the scene was very serious when the family met to discuss grandmother's poisoning, the looks he would direct at ML and the look she would give him back was pure, connective, acting genius. 

4) GTY's Brother's Wife - when ML was having her baby and the fire burned down GTY brother's house.  Evil mother in law didn't know how the fire got started (after they tried to burn down GTY's house with a lantern).

DIL's :  "Mother-in-Law, you really don't know how our fire started?"

MIL's Assistant:  "I heard from second house's report that the wind was strong and it started from a flicker that flew over from the yard next door."

MIL:  "Next door?"

DIL: "I bet that flicker is very tall and named Shitou."

I laughed so hard at this conversation, while also thinking--you don't mess with GTY and his family.

There are many, many, many hilarious scenes. This drama could be heavy melodramatic or it could have been comedy. However, the writer struck the right balance.

I’ve always loved the comic relief the drama provides, it’s a relief from the life problem they have. My favs would be minglan vs the fat bandit, shitou and xiaotao, cb and gty’s bromance, and everytime ml glare at gty laughing all the problem away 

6 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Saw raw epi 74..the court scene turned into a market brawl with the emperor dropping by in his gardener attire to get things in order...I couldn't help but laugh on how wittily they conveyed lack of seriousness in the matter from the ruling imperial family's end.

ED is skillfully being lured into the trap with GTY as bait.

Has GTY returned the official military seal or is it still with him? If not,then emperor is in cahoots with him.

MN had stabbed GTY then she went round town blaming him of taking way her children,killing her son and throwing her out after using her...

The matter was discussed among officials and they were pacified when GTY showed his stab wounds.So how did MN come again to repeat the discredited sob story?

Did the script writer forget the dialogues  that were delivered few episodes back?

Or MN was purposefully let out for Gu,Wang,Bai villains to utilize her..She is the weakest link in the chain...

Mn will probably tell lies on gty, how he deserted her and chang’er, may not be believable, but at least they could add it to his moral corruption and underserving to be an official of the court

48 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

I’ve always loved the comic relief the drama provides, it’s a relief from the life problem they have. My favs would be minglan vs the fat bandit, shitou and xiaotao, cb and gty’s bromance, and everytime ml glare at gty laughing all the problem away 

ML vs the fat bandit was hilarious! 

I also love some of the anticlimatic moments eg that wierd/fake scream when SH discovered ML and 6th Liang. Also that headbutt Danniang gave Changbai when he sentenced her, I just burst out laughing! :lol:

Spoiler
4 hours ago, lclarakl said:

I have to admit that ML is my favorite female lead in a drama. I don't think of her as dangerous in the sense of someone who is unreasonable, but more as a person who lives by the code: "An eye for an eye" or "A life for a life".  As a child, if she saw unfair behavior, she immediately called attention to it and so did her other sister.  However, her grandmother taught her to be a proper lady, but ML's strong desire for revenge against those who killed her mother made her learn patience's and how to keep a secret---even from her grandmother. She pretended to not be that smart so others would let their guard down around her.

I wouldn't disagree. 

Show did well for flash out her character and what drives her character. 

(Actually, show did well with most characters, incl the antagonists).

Gives us enough meat to understand her behaviour, her convictions, and her beliefs. 

I cried with her when her mom passed.

Suffocated for her as she hides her true nature for self preservation

Loved her heartfelt and mature conversations with granny.

Felt for her when she confessed to GTY that she has to choose survival over principles, living as the gentle, agreeable, flawless sixth miss. 

Loved it even more, the honest, sincere conversations with GTY, both before the romance, and after their marriage. 

Laughed at her non-existent archery skills and seeing her battle the fatty bandit, and then tried to pick up his sword (unsuccessfully) to protect herself.

My blood boils with her as we found out CL did exactly opposite of what the doc said to kill ML's mom. 

Smiled like an idiot when she finally accepted GTY's proposal, and everytime they show affection to each other. 

Laughed more when she was throwing her mini tantrum after the aunts tried to blackmail her with Dr.He, and that death glare she gave GTY when he tried to pacify her. 

My heart broke with hers to see granny in coma from poisoning

I'm amazed at how calm and collected she is when she carried out her revenge, both against CL and Mdm Kang. 

I cheered for her everytime she outwit and outsmart those who looked down on her, those who underestimated her. 

Felt her sadness as she cried in GTY's arm, blaming herself for granny's predicament, getting poisoned. 

Felt her trauma with finding out that her GTY died (false alarm), goes into premature labour, manor being set on fire, and the attempt on her life all at the same time. 

And now...anticipating more heartbreak, more pain, more suffering before she comes out sharper, stronger, better, cooler B), and more bad richard simmons.

I buy her convictions to fight for her own justice because she lives in an era what wouldn't give her one. 

I'm sold on her principles of repayment. She will repay with her life for all that she owed, and she ensures they pay with theirs for all they owed..

Even with the writing flaws and dramatization, the story stayed true to its title "The Story of Ming Lan"...

And personally, it's been a rewarding journey. 

45 minutes ago, mooose said:

ML vs the fat bandit was hilarious! 

I also love some of the anticlimatic moments eg that wierd/fake scream when SH discovered ML and 6th Liang. Also that headbutt Danniang gave Changbai when he sentenced her, I just burst out laughing! :lol:

Yes!! The danniang headbutt was hilarious :joy: cb was all serious and then his mother headbutt him

4 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I'm saying the properties should be taken away but apparently not as ML held one month birthday celebration of her son at Chen garden and she was there when rebels (ED's soldiers) came. The Gu family ancestral hall also looks the same. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that both stepmom and ML can stay in Marquess manor and Chen garden if GTY is no longer Marquess and no one else from Gu family holds the title. Both houses are given by previous emperor and current one for being Marquess family and General. Especially Chen garden is given to GTY for being a Hutuo Tu (person in charge of capital army that protects the imperial family) and it should be taken away after being convicted criminal. An official being demoted vs convicted felon are totally different situations. 

I know understand what would normally happen to property of convicted criminals but from all the dramas I’ve seen, property seiners of the nobility is at the whim of the Emperor. I haven’t seen the subbed version so I don’t know if the seizure of property was mentioned. Was the Marquis title abolished or was it just that GTY was stripped of the title? If it was just him being stripped of the title then third brother (not sure about GTY’s son) could at a later time possibly inherit the title in which case, I can see why the Gu manor was not confiscated yet and I thought Chen Garden and Gu Manor were kind of merged.  

Archived