Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

On 9/5/2018 at 7:06 PM, MikiRei said:

Just want to add here, please watch DVD version. TV version butchered and skipped around, making it hard to follow. 

DVD version is basically the director's cut. It's A LOT better - maybe a bit longer - but flows a lot better. 

Also, episode 40 (DVD) was AMAZING. 

I'm confused to which version I'm watching. 

But the latest episode of Ning Yi and Zhi Wei together is golden! I want more!!!

• Like 1

@mrsj3n Check top right, if it's a yellow blob, it's rip from mangoTV, so it's the TV version. If it has the iqiyi logo (or not), and the episodes are sometimes 50mins, sometimes 40mins, on occasions (weekends) it's 25 and 35 or thereabouts, you are watching the TV version. the DVD version is consistently around 45mins. Just updated today (like half an hour ago), TV version is on 40, DVD version is on 47 (!!!) I don't know how they are going to make up 7 episode difference? have the entire last week, 12 or 14 20mins episodes???? This editing is absolutely bonkers.

In other news, the rating have been doing better. It dropped to 0.16 at some point which holy richard simmons, it's pretty bad for Summer Hunan TV primetime slot. It's been steadily rising this week (as all the summer blockbuster are ending and people go back to school and it's a fun arc I guess?) The last two days have been 0.5ish. To be fair, Hunan TV which used to be guaranteed hits in terms of ratings due to sheer influence have been tanking in ratings this year apparently? (tanking for HunanTV that is, TRoP is just tanking in general so it looks extra bad with its tv slot, rip) The overall market isn't watching TV as much as two or three years ago too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, skibbies said:

@mrsj3n Check top right, if it's a yellow blob, it's rip from mangoTV, so it's the TV version. If it has the iqiyi logo (or not), and the episodes are sometimes 50mins, sometimes 40mins, on occasions (weekends) it's 25 and 35 or thereabouts, you are watching the TV version. the DVD version is consistently around 45mins. Just updated today (like half an hour ago), TV version is on 40, DVD version is on 47 (!!!) I don't know how they are going to make up 7 episode difference? have the entire last week, 12 or 14 20mins episodes???? This editing is absolutely bonkers.

See. That's the problem! Lol

I'm still confused! Lol lol

What I'll do now is before watching a new episode, I'll watch the end of the previous one to ensure continuity.

As for the ratings, it can't be helped.

It is really frustrating with all the talking but it's necessary. 

My feelings for this drama is complicated.

I love it, and yet I hate it.

But I can't stop watching it.

I like Ning Yi. 

He's just like a box of chocolate.

And the look he gave Feng Zhi Wei...

• Like 2

Thanks re tips of watching TV vs DVD.  TV version airs earlier than DVD version. As I can't wait to watch the latest/new episodes.. I therefore watch the TV version first, followed by re-watching via DVD version. So far so good... I understand much better.

TROP is EXCELLENT !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Ok.. watching the DVD version of episode 38.

OMG OMG OMG....

Reveal hidden contents

lipgbPbNzYfIU.gif

How sweet can they be?????

:love:

My favorite is that scene with them in that dark little room. Straight up gave me heart palpitations. I almost never ship, but Ning Yi had me swooning like an idiot.

I also want to say that I am surprised by how tight the plot is lol. So far I haven't found any plot holes that can't be explained away by re watching a few scenes. The last few episodes also had some gorgeous dialogue. I am so happy with how this is going so far, but I am apprehensive of the ending :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pristineqi said:

@tendrilsofwind... No happy ending ??? :bawling::bawling::bawling:

All the Chinese viewers seem to be predicting a tragic ending and I don't want to get my hopes up only to be devastated. I am inclined to believe them because Chinese writers have this strange predilection for depressing conclusions.

Spoiler

People are also speculating that Ning Yi will marry Minister Yao's daughter. I really liked her character because she came off as being very poised and smart so I really hope she ends up with someone who can commit to her. Literally no one will be happy if she ends up as empress. I don't even know why I am still watching at this point lol I don't need this angst in my life.

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, tendrilsofwind said:

Hide contents

I don't even know why I am still watching at this point lol I don't need this angst in my life.

Ditto!! Lol

Spoiler

But it does seem to be a sad ending as Ning Yi looks alone and lonely. Hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, tendrilsofwind said:

All the Chinese viewers seem to be predicting a tragic ending and I don't want to get my hopes up only to be devastated. I am inclined to believe them because Chinese writers have this strange predilection for depressing conclusions.

Hide contents

People are also speculating that Ning Yi will marry Minister Yao's daughter. I really liked her character because she came off as being very poised and smart so I really hope she ends up with someone who can commit to her. Literally no one will be happy if she ends up as empress. I don't even know why I am still watching at this point lol I don't need this angst in my life.

I DETEST sad ending ... That's the reason, in the past, I waited till the C-dramas ended before watching those with happy endings.

NIF nearly killed me until an alternative ending was made available. Watched 3310 only after it had ended happily. Legend of Fuyao was the first I watched raws from Ep 1 till the end.. feeling dreadfully worried all the time that the ending might be horrible and sad... Phew!! 

It makes more sense for tragic ending, especially if you want to elevate the themes or something. The Chinese viewers are predicting it because of something from the documentary I think. It's full of spoilers.

Novel ending:

Spoiler

It if makes you feel better, the novel had a happy ending so you can pretend that's the ending. After it looked like it was going to be tragic ending, because so much had happened and they were just on opposite sides, they had to do right by the people who were with them all along kind of thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skibbies said:

Novel ending:

Reveal hidden contents

It if makes you feel better, the novel had a happy ending so you can pretend that's the ending. After it looked like it was going to be tragic ending, because so much had happened and they were just on opposite sides, they had to do right by the people who were with them all along kind of thing.

Thanks for sharing the novel ending <3 

I was contemplating to temporarily stop at Ep 47 (DVD) which gives such a lovey dovey feeling... Hehe .. and dream that the ending will be like this :

TROP_1.png

@skibbies...

Spoiler

Can you please share more details about the happy ending in the novel? <3

4 hours ago, pristineqi said:

Thanks for sharing the novel ending <3 

I was contemplating to temporarily stop at Ep 47 (DVD) which gives such a lovey dovey feeling... Hehe .. and dream that the ending will be like this :

@skibbies...

Hide contents

Can you please share more details about the happy ending in the novel? <3

That's actually a good place to stop I think. They are cute like that.

(Details about novel end)

Spoiler

Zhi wei's mum want her to bring back the old dynasty or something, and she had basically a secret army of people that did intelligence gathering, assassination and protects her through out the book (Zong Chen and Gu Nanyi are part of it) that meant to help her with that. So she did, she fought for them, and for others who died for her, and for people who no longer have a place in Tian Shen, and established a kingdom. Ning Yi became the emperor and they kind of split the land in half. (It currently has 4 kingdoms, Tian Shen, Da Yue to the north (He Lian's home), one I forgot, Bei Wei? it's to northwest? Xi Yue in south west. She had power in Da Yue and had control over Xi Yue. The other country was too busy dealing with their own thing for a long while). Anyways eventually they both pretended they died (it was some elaborate poison plot they both schemed without discussing it with each other) and went to live happily outside of the palace. There was like one chapter that showed that, like an epilogue, they had kids iirc.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Hide contents

Zhi wei's mum want her to bring back the old dynasty or something, and she had basically a secret army of people that did intelligence gathering, assassination and protects her through out the book (Zong Chen and Gu Nanyi are part of it) that meant to help her with that. So she did, she fought for them, and for others who died for her, and for people who no longer have a place in Tian Shen, and established a kingdom. Ning Yi became the emperor and they kind of split the land in half. (It currently has 4 kingdoms, Tian Shen, Da Yue to the north (He Lian's home), one I forgot, Bei Wei? it's to northwest? Xi Yue in south west. She had power in Da Yue and had control over Xi Yue. The other country was too busy dealing with their own thing for a long while). Anyways eventually they both pretended they died (it was some elaborate poison plot they both schemed without discussing it with each other) and went to live happily outside of the palace. There was like one chapter that showed that, like an epilogue, they had kids iirc.

Spoiler

I'll temporarily stop at Ep 47 due to busy real-life schedule; and wait till it ends. If there's a happy ending, I'll finitely continue and finish it till the very end :D. By then, eng sub will be available.. yayyyy!!

Re the novel ... Who will suceed them in their kingdoms? They individually married and have children with other people??

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Was that poison plot in the prologue part too. Coz I read 2 versions of the book ...one had FZW poisoning someone in the prologue.....and he says she must have been planning it from a long time...(I say someone coz either Ning Yi's name was not mentioned or google translate was being cranky)...the other version starts from when the pagoda people are escaping with a baby.

2 hours ago, pristineqi said:

Hide contents

I'll temporarily stop at Ep 47 due to busy real-life schedule; and wait till it ends. If there's a happy ending, I'll finitely continue and finish it till the very end :D. By then, eng sub will be available.. yayyyy!!

Re the novel ... Who will suceed them in their kingdoms? They individually married and have children with other people??

Spoiler

Ok I double checked. Basically their kingdoms were fighting and at a stalemate, so Zhi Wei sacrificed herself to make sure all her friends and soldiers could surrender without consequences. She got a promise from Ning Yi regarding that, then she talked about how she manipulated him and doesn't actually love him. He got mad and sent her to jail. Gu Nanyi came to save her (he's the second lead in the book) and there was a battle and some last minute reveals about small plot details and chaos. She "died", Gu Nanyi fainted from injury and Ning Yi was already sick so he fainted from shock too, and neither of them could find her body.

The poison was actually used to neutralise Ning Yi's old illness/poison from an old injury. Both of the guys searched everywhere for her and she hid somewhere. So they came up with a plan where Gu Nanyi assassinate Ning Yi and he "dies", so she would pop up and see him for the last time. It's kept super vague in the actual ending, but it's made clear in the epilogue/extra chapter. Ning Yi's brother suceeded his throne, and specifically requested the two "dead" people to stay close by so he can ask questions anytime. But they kind of ran away at some point to travel LOL. Neither of them had kids with anyone. Ning Yi didn't have an empress either, I don't know how he managed that since he was close to like 30 when he "died", but I'm just going to not think about that.

1 hour ago, dito said:

Hide contents

Was that poison plot in the prologue part too. Coz I read 2 versions of the book ...one had FZW poisoning someone in the prologue.....and he says she must have been planning it from a long time...(I say someone coz either Ning Yi's name was not mentioned or google translate was being cranky)...the other version starts from when the pagoda people are escaping with a baby.

Spoiler

My book's prologue is someone carrying a baby. I think it's an extended scene that's written later? I read the WN and I swear it has bit of new content. (The scene existed before, but it was like a flashback told by someone that happened uhh idk middle of the book? and it wasn't as long) The WN doesn't have a prologue, it's just first chapter where she murders one of her uncle's wife (the one that her mum murdered in the drama lol). If her poisoning Ning Yi is prologue, it's probably an excerpt? that's really bad passage to pick as excerpt though. 

Oh actually, you can pass me the passage/link and I can probably check.

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

Hide contents

im not sure if i like endings like this 

8 minutes ago, Wotad said:

im not sure if i like endings like this 

what kind of ending do you think would work?

The book is weird in that they spend very little time doing anything fluffy, they spend richard simmons ton more time scheming against each other for various reasons. I swear it's like they flirt via scheming sometimes. But I can't really say it's a book that's not about romance because they do love each other a lot, it's just not shown as much.