[Drama 2017] Save Me, 구해줘

0ly40

Sorry y'all I mean I hate every single adult expect the moms and grandmas. The mom's of this drama have been warriors imho.

To go through what they went, survive it (though I think Sang Hwan's mom may die) and do what they can to assist their children, warriors! Actually this is the first drama I've seen where most of the women are good, strong, and fierce. Even apostle Kang in all her evil is a force to be reckoned with. Sang Mi is a flawless amazon woman slaying those evil demons with her own sword. No one saved this girl, she has been and continues to save herself.

I adore how Sang Mi took the reins of her own survival and rescue and always has a plan, a means, a way to survive and destroy that cult. I mean the mental strength it takes to have survived their for 3yrs and never once let them break her down or have her mind like they did her mom and dad. The courage it took to always stand up to them and throw their dirty truth and evil sins in their faces, the bravery and intelligence of how she has been and continues to play that cult in her "submission" as spiritual mother; she's my favorite kdrama heroine ever. She's a flaw queen in my eyes and although the drama has many shortcomings and pitfalls that can mostly be ignored /overlooked/just go with it (so many underutilized characters and actors, so many stories just dropped and never reasoned or concluded. And the cult, the cult is laughable in how dumb and easy it's been, too contrived and easy to be honest. The lax security -Dong Cheol the newcomer is allowed to roam like it's his home. Sang Hwan breaking in and out like it's his home. These people don't got security cameras?-, the lack of suspicion and doing background checks on newcomers after recently being threatened to be exposed by those of similar age, and just their idiocy, like apostle Jo or his deaf mute brother didn't see her shoe!?!?? They took the body out the water walked it back that same bath to the car, but missed her incriminating shoe? Please. Also apostle Jo found Dong Cheol's cellphone last ep but did/does nothing about it though he was suspect? Nah. The writer made it unrealistically easy for F4 to bring them down). Sang Mi however was near perfect written and developed character. 

No one in F4 should or has to die now. At this point it'll feel more for shock value than for the story itself. They killed reporter Hong, that's enough. If she hadn't had died then yes one of our boys was/is a goner (Sang Mi will live or this drama has been a waste) but she did and her death is the first real domino in bringing the cult down.

This lead to the police raid and the arrest of apostle Jo who is normally the executioner for the cult. There is no one to kill a boy and burry a body (dancing gangster for all his paid corruption will not kill Dong Cheol. That shoulder pat, plus his eyes are and have been wide open to what Muiji and Guseonwon really is). Also if the cult kills a F4 right now, they dumber than dumb and everyone going to know it was them.

The detectives are on to them, Sang Hwan's dad would use any first opportunity to take them down because power, Jung Hoon's chief of police dad's eyes is open to them, the local newspaper is onto them and all about had the expose article written; to kill an F4 now (most know what they been up to) is signing their own judicial death warrants. And from a story stand point it honestly would feel pointless and just done for shock. The time to kill Dong Cheol or Sang Hwan was when Jo was still gatekeeper. That guys is almost done for and I think he escaped to kill Baek who is framing him for attempted murder, what would be the point of killing Dong Cheol or Sang Hwan now other than to break audience hearts?

At this point what would it add to the story/the message it gives that the gruesome killing of reporter Hong didn't deliver? We already know that going undercover in that cult is life or death and apostle Jo will cold blood murder you if revealed for the "evil demon" that you are (though it seems normally they simply throw you in those forest dungeons for slow beating death), we already know Sang Mi's father is evil and a lost cause that would do whatever bidding Baek commands, so again killing Dong Cheol (cause he's the most in danger and likely to die) at this point serves what point? It'd be bad writing imho to kill Sang Mi or the boys at this point in the story. The story now needs to focus on the deaths/destruction of Baek and his evil apostles (and yes that includes Sang MI's dad for me) or I'm going to feel hella cheated! 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, triplem said:

Oh man. This guy looks like the same guy who played KYK's father in Lookout. Same thing he is doing here as well...rubbing his hands.

yeah ur right its HIM haha...

===

otherwise we had a nice ending here, while Junghoon did a broadcast jajangmyeon challenge w/ his dad LOL:D

yet to watch..

But any hint on where the love line is headed?

I guess 2 yrs is a good gap for SM to heal and then SH will be back, hopefully DC would have made sthg of himself ( like  a private detective agency :tongue: ) 

I would hate having no closure on that front.. this story/ characters.. can have the most endearing, intense, passionate love story ever..

PS: Any hope of DC being acquitted of previous charges on account of fraud and thereby allowing him to apply to the police academy

Haha I haven't posted here much but I've been following since the second ep!

Wow, I gotta say (based on the ep 16 clips)

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE that the drama uses EVERYTHING in its disposal. Like seriously, I questioned why the gangsters had their own storyline and I totally forgot about a ton of these characters because dramas never usually utilize some people for any specific purpose. But Save Me used everyone they showed - like Hong So Rin, after rewatching a few eps, I noticed her silent transition from reporter to suddenly interested college student who gets into the cult. Dongcheol's jail friend had no tie with the cult until the last few eps where his skills came in handy for helping out the friends in the end. And, even, Dong Cheols dad - I was SO shocked to see him back in the finale, whereas I had completely just banished thoughts about him after the first glimpse we saw of him (I assumed he had just somehow passed away as well without grandma or dong cheol to look over him)

I feel like I want to write a lot more about how amazing this drama was, because I usually HATE scary dramas (I can't handle scary movies well) but I was soooo obsessed with this drama. I am now a huge fan of Woo Do-Hwan and will be keeping an eye out for Mad Dog. I have a lot I want to say, but it'd take forever to type everything up on how much I love this drama. But I will say  -  kudos to Save Me for brilliant editing, great use of all the characters and storylines, great music that was employed at perfect times, and especially for making our female leads all very powerful in their own right. Sang Mi needed some help yes, but without her going along with the Spiritual Mother mess, they wouldn't have been able to take down Baek or get the info and allies they needed.  Then you have the awesome bar noona who takes no crap from anyone, and our awesome Sang Hwan's mom and Sang Mi's mom. Hong So Rin was the one to infiltrate, even a lot of the people in the cult who did the most work/jobs were females (we don't see a lot of the male believers at all actually - it was usually the females who got some of the bigger roles). Even Apostle Kang, despite a lot of her delusion and misuse of her medical knowledge, she had a lot of strength for the same reasons.

1 hour ago, solucu said:

I've watched without subs and I don't know what happened to SM dad... if he was jailed or what :confused:

There is a scene at the end after Sang Mi's monologue and the reintroduction of the characters in the credit, like they used to do with the one scene preview after each episode. In this scene you can see what happened to Sang Mi's father.

I honestly laughed real hard while watching it. I'm not sure it was proper of me but the actor is amazing in this detestable role.

Actually, Blondie, Curly, SM's father and Kang were amazing roles ... The actors were brilliant and I enjoyed hating them so much.

I don't know what I expected but that ending scene with Sang Hwan and Sang Mi exchanging smiles felt awkward for me. I cringed real hard! I think it's just me being a huge Sang Mi and Dong Cheol shipper. I'm Happy everyone is alive and trying to heal.... My heart sank every time Dong Cheol got beaten and I sobbed at Dong Cheol and his father's scenes...I wish I knew if he had a proper life, if he achieved his dream, if he managed to gather his courage and confess to Sang Mi...

To appease both shippers (there is no romance in this drama though) Sang Mi & Sang Hwan shippers can imagine that Sang Mi visits and waits for Sang Hwan those two years and once out of his military service they pursue a relationship built on whatever was developed these 16 eps. For Sang Mi & Dong Cheol shippers you can imagine that absence does not make the heart grow fond. Those two years while Sang Hwan is doing his mandatory service joint visits and other interactions builds on whatever was developed in these 16 episodes between Sang Mi & Dong Cheol.

Now the ending as realistic as I found it, I also found it to be predictable (the only real surprise was Dong Cheol's dad for me) and a tad "eh, I guess alls wells that ends well." I loathed how it redeemed characters I prayed would die or be heavily punished. I didn't like that the human trafficker (all those poor souls in the dungeon. Imagine the many drunks, homeless, etc that may have had people who care for them or no who were tortured and damaged to the point the lunacy and fear Dong Cheol's father displayed) gets to be the "hero" who finds and arrests Jo and received no punishment for his evil crimes. I hope Jo reveals all his trafficking and bribes taken during his trail and the man is stripped of his job, jailed, and shamed and shunned. As real as it is that the cult carries on, I wanted to see it burn and for Kang and Sang MI's dad to go down with it in flames. If y'all think that's too brutal, I at least wanted them to have revelations of the falseness, the lies, the evil of the cult, and the evil deadly crimes they had committed all in the name of a false god.

At the same time I love that my dancing ahjussi did saving, that Dong Cheol lived,

and that my queen Sang Mi saved herself and took down Baek (It was so satisfying to see the flaming cross bare on him. I had actually once written I  wanted that to happen to Sang MI's father so it was satisfying to see the true evil get it instead) and was absolutely glowing and gorgeous and free with that brilliant smile in the end. All in all the drama had shortcomings of a rookie writer but much of the writing and especially the cast made up for it. I have found a new actor I hope to see rise/new kdrama bae in Woo Do Hwan (I can't wait for Mad Dog) and my gods do I have a huge she's so talented crush on Seo Yi Ji. I also hope to see David Lee, Man Hee's actor, and especially my dancing ahjussi in many more projects to come. 

Loved it loved it loved it..

1. ROmance: Well, guess they made it very clear with the last scene that SM-SH is the end game... ( but when did DC give up on her.. i guess he knew SH likes her since school.. and since school time only never considered himself as an option.. but he loves her)

I am happy with this couple too..

2. Crazy people will remain crazy.. i thought Jo would oust Kang.. Daddy is a gone case.. needs medical treatment.. too much of divine water in the head

3. Detective saves the day.. :)  and am glass governor's assistant did not get to escape..

4. I should be proud of SM's mother.. but for some reason.. i just can't applaud her... she is the reason half of this mess happened.. if dad is being scolded for being a weak personality, her weak personality was root cause of all trouble... she should have been the support system both for SM and dad.. instead became the burden for her husband.. and his desperation to cure her.... 

her character bugs me more than anyone else.. was father's room the place for her to faint.. when everyone is trying to rescue SM..

5. Umm.. and Mom's are all stupid.. DC should open a center to train mothers... how to deal with criminals, how to not go alone to them showcasing the evidence.. and then threaten them knowing you have nothing to defend yourself with... and never think you are hulk who can not be hurt..

6. umm.. i was half hoping.. Jo's wig will come off to show his real white hair :tongue:

7. What was Man hee's story.. guess missed it.. its not his real brother and he still shared food.. is that the arc?

8. I really absolutely seriously desperately yearn for Jajangmyeon.. whatever it is.. looks spicy and delicious.. Anyone here got a recepie with substitutes for korean spices (or otherwise).. or any fusion style 

57 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

To appease both shippers (there is no romance in this drama though) Sang Mi & Sang Hwan shippers can imagine that Sang Mi visits and waits for Sang Hwan those two years and once out of his military service they pursue a relationship built on whatever was developed these 16 eps. For Sang Mi & Dong Cheol shippers you can imagine that absence does not make the heart grow fond. Those two years while Sang Hwan is doing his mandatory service joint visits and other interactions builds on whatever was developed in these 16 episodes between Sang Mi & Dong Cheol.

I think there are subtle hints that writer has given for SM-SH to be the end game..

1) DC pushing for SH to be the one to save SM at every point

2) Fight between Jo's brother and DC/SH was to show that SH is actually a better hitter which links back to the fact that knowing that DC kept pushing SH to be SM's savior

3) SH actually confessing his love to his mother. We never got to know DC's actual words.. the best was when SH called him out on loving SM back in school when he wanted to run to the terrace to save SJ and SM

4) MIlitary scene... when she came, see DC does not move at all.. first they show that SH eyes wandering looking for her... and then everyone else making way for SH to step forward... they choose to stay in the background.. giving the two their space..

( its very beautifully subtly done.. but DC basically gives up on SM as a romantic interest.. presumably for SH)

5) SM thanking SH for hearing her plea- this is the most telling of all.. in all of this mess and so many people who helped her.. and she herself was the most amazing incredibly strong person.. and yet with her words the writer conveys that the one moment she is most thankful for is that moment with SH.. where he heard her plea.. where he came for her.. SO he is the HERO..

I wish we would have a season 2 only for the romance.. triangle or not..

4 hours ago, solucu said:

I've watched without subs and I don't know what happened to SM dad... if he was jailed or what :confused:

they basically showed that he is too far gone.. point of no return.. he will continue following that cult thing (unless some psychiatric treatment is meted out)

Also, essentially the message is .. you can't weed out these things completely like in ghost stories.. a trace will remain which will manifest itself over a period of time.. and cycle continues

(dad= same thing as those protestors=kang going delusional)

Just watched ep 16 with subs - how did everybody like the finale?

To me it was the weakest episode, especially last 10 minutes seemed very rushed. 

I’m not talking about romance, this wasn’t a romcom in the first place so I wasn’t interested in any pairing, but I was disappointed that SM’s father didn’t die painfully. I think I’ve never hated any kdrama character so much. 

Also what about Apostle Kang and Governor Han’s assistant? Shouldn’t they be punished by law too? Apostle Kang tortured reporter Hong and who knows how many people in the past. Both women knew what their bosses were doing and didn’t report it to the police. Doesn’t it make them accomplices?

54 minutes ago, aisling said:

Just watched ep 16 with subs - how did everybody like the finale?

To me it was the weakest episode, especially last 10 minutes seemed very rushed. 

I’m not talking about romance, this wasn’t a romcom in the first place so I wasn’t interested in any pairing, but I was disappointed that SM’s father didn’t die painfully. I think I’ve never hated any kdrama character so much. 

Also what about Apostle Kang and Governor Han’s assistant? Shouldn’t they be punished by law too? Apostle Kang tortured reporter Hong and who knows how many people in the past. Both women knew what their bosses were doing and didn’t report it to the police. Doesn’t it make them accomplices?

I think writer wrapped all of it quite neatly..

Assistant was taken away by the detective .. and with SM asking her mother if all culprit will be punished + recordings base don which governor told Ji Hee that if he goes down she is going down.. alludes to her atleast being convicted... 

Kang, and daddy and other believers - again what happens in reality.. they are so into that belief that without psychiatric help no one can save them.. they will continue.. they will not be punished because all of this will culminate into them not being in right frame of mind (because of the drugs too).. PLZ NOTE.. with kang there are two telling points - when Im was promoted , she hated it.. she likes her power.. and her mind can not take the shock of being a mind of a criminal.. therefore when challenged enough she started hearing almight's words.. because mind is trying hard to find excuses.. (also ample hints given in previous episodes that unlike Jo she really believes in the religion and father baek)

Kang- only if Jo ousts her on murder will she get charged.. otherwise there is nothing to charge her with

11 hours ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

She's a flaw queen in my eyes and although the drama has many shortcomings and pitfalls that can mostly be ignored /overlooked/just go with it (so many underutilized characters and actors, so many stories just dropped and never reasoned or concluded. And the cult, the cult is laughable in how dumb and easy it's been, too contrived and easy to be honest. The lax security -Dong Cheol the newcomer is allowed to roam like it's his home. Sang Hwan breaking in and out like it's his home. These people don't got security cameras?-, the lack of suspicion and doing background checks on newcomers after recently being threatened to be exposed by those of similar age, and just their idiocy, like apostle Jo or his deaf mute brother didn't see her shoe!?!?? They took the body out the water walked it back that same bath to the car, but missed her incriminating shoe? Please. Also apostle Jo found Dong Cheol's cellphone last ep but did/does nothing about it though he was suspect? Nah. The writer made it unrealistically easy for F4 to bring them down). Sang Mi however was near perfect written and developed character. 

I agree with how lax their 'security' and 'background check' (or lack thereof) is. Though I think Jo never found Dong Chul's phone in the bathroom. That day he happened to just take the phone with him. It had become so critical to save the reporter that he just decided to carry the phone to call Sang Hwan and not bother hiding it in the bathroom anymore. Later on in the last episode he only pretended to "hide" the phone again in order to be "caught" by Sang Mi and Baek according to the plan.

I think I liked the conclusion a lot. It was very straight forward, just like its premise. No twists nor surprises, just the fact that everyday people, especially those whose families and governments failed them, are vulnerable to fundamentalists and the only remedy is people who won't give up on them. Faith and the law are easily corrupt but your resolve and love are not.

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Save Me" Episode 15

photo892637.jpg

There are not enough middle fingers in the world to express how I feel about Guseonwon and this marks a job well done by "Save Me". Every open end comes together and clashes into a smörgåsbord of final week thrills as things finally veer out of control for heroes and villains alike. Death, disillusionment, camaraderie and hope form the final battle for our heroes' future.

Taunting one's enemies never comes without a good deal of grief and Hong So-rin (Jeon Yeo-bin) is sadly the victim this time around. The episode holds nothing back as we rush to the finish line and so a lot of the things which have been left unaddressed until now happen all at once. Muji is disillusionment central at the moment and this includes the revelations our good, neutral and evil characters get.

Spoiler

Baek Jeong-ki asking a man to murderJo Wan-tae can sense the loss of his position

Things are falling almost too neatly into place for our heroes as far as revealing Guseonwon's true face goes and under different circumstances, I would call that contrived. The reason these expedited events make sense here, however, is the narcissism of our villain. Baek Jeong-ki (Jo Sung-ha) has been dealing with what he no doubt sees as sheep for too long and his belief that he is invincible has already been established. The man is alienating his allies and sometimes that is all it takes to fall.

Disillusionment comes from the good side as well and it is very rewarding in certain aspects. Officer Choi (Park Soo-yeon) finally steps up and Sergeant Woo (Kim Kwang-gyoo) chooses to face the consequences of his actions. I cannot help but lament what these characters could have been, however. The episode makes it clear that many supporting characters had or should have had bigger roles here. From Joon-goo's (Go Joon) late entrance into Guseonwon to our tavern "noona's", too much feels rushed to justify their existence in the story.

Jeong-hoon and his father having an honest talkSang-mi addressing the cultists

The episode reveals this lack of purpose for them, but there are also issues with the editing which are a telltale sign of the final week's hasty nature. The sequence up to where Officer Choi barges into Guseonwon is particularly messy and events in it are hard to keep track of, but the rest of the episode has issues with its pacing as well. I appreciate fast closure over no closure, however.

I do not know if more deaths on the good side will come, if everything will be solved or if the series will go for small victories against evil, but I sincerely hope that at least Sang-mi's (Seo Ye-ji) story and by extension that of our heroes will be concluded. Rushed as it may be, the episode indicates a desire to wrap everything up for our characters.

cr

Archived