[Drama 2017] Save Me, 구해줘

0ly40

Rescue Me: Episode 11

rescueme11-00557.jpg

With no adults to turn to, our young heroes must resort to cloak-and-dagger methods to try to save one of their own. While Sang-mi begins to execute her own plan within the confines of Guseonwon, her would-be saviors are taking two distinctly different methods to try and extract her, though which one will work in the end—or if it will work in time—is anyone’s guess.

EPISODE 11 RECAP

We rewind a bit to see Sang-hwan watching as Dong-chul boards the Guseonwon van for the morning service, moments before he receives a call from Ji-hee telling him that his father wants to speak with him.

In his mother’s hospital room, Sang-hwan is greeted by a shocking sight: Father Baek is there, calmly and pleasantly conversing with Sang-hwan’s father. “Say hello, this is the pastor of Guseonwon,” his father instructs, as Sang-hwan gapes in shock.

“Your son has a pure soul,” says Father Baek, as if he didn’t just call Sang-hwan an evil spirit the last time they spoke.

rescue11-05531.jpg rescue11-05636.jpg

At first, Sang-hwan tries to reason with his father: “That man isn’t a pastor, he’s a cult leader!” But his father isn’t having any of it—he silences Sang-hwan immediately and apologizes to Father Baek for Sang-hwan’s outburst.

Sang-hwan’s father assures Sang-hwan that Father Baek said he would take good care of Sang-mi. As his father now understands it, Sang-mi is just a girl with an illness and a wounded heart.

“Don’t worry,” says his father, as Sang-hwan reels from this fresh betrayal of trust. Sang-hwan retorts that Dad did the same thing three years ago: He abandoned a person in need because helping that person (Dong-chul) wasn’t going to help him get elected.

Sang-hwan snaps, finally realizing the extent of his father’s hunger for power and influence. “When I was little, you told me that someone powerful like you should help the weak and the poor! That man locked up a girl who is young enough to be your daughter to make advances on her!” When Dad blusters an interruption, Sang-hwan just asks, “Dad, are you willing to join hands with a cult leader now? How could you stoop so low?”

Spoiler

rescueme11-00038.jpg

Having had enough, Dad exclaims, “You brat!” as he slaps Sang-hwan sharply across the face.

When Father Baek tries to placate Sang-hwan with religious teachings, Sang-hwan just gets even angrier. He catches sight of the flower bouquet that Father Baek brought for his mother, and throws it to the ground, where it shatters.

He glares accusingly at the adults: “You’re all the same.” Finally disillusioned with his father’s empty promises, he stalks out of the room.

=== Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/09/rescue-me-episode-11/

COMMENTS

Finally, the threads of this show are coming together, and several disparate elements of the show make more sense now that they’re put side by side.

For example, I was frustrated that the biker gang kept relying on these figures of authority but couldn’t see that those authority figures were really just people that were only invested in upholding the system. There was no payoff for our heroes, and yet they fell for it again and again.

Now that they’ve turned away from those avenues of help, it makes sense to me that their actions were actually realistic—they were going to the police and their parents because that was the only way they knew how to resolve their problems before. But while their trust in these authority figures was being eroded away, Sang-hwan’s dad struck the final blow by teaming up with Father Baek out of his selfish desire to increase his own power.

Sang-hwan has finally seen the truth about what his father and Muji are like, and his final disillusioned walk out of that room said a lot about how his character has changed since his blindly trusting self, three years ago. On that note, I’m also pleasantly surprised by the small details that have shown up recently. The clothes of the characters in particular are a telling feature that serve the visual storytelling part of the drama well.

Spoiler

One striking example of the use of clothes was at the Spiritual Mother proclamation. When Sang-mi walked in wearing the black dress and Father Baek faced her wearing his customary white suit, the contrast between them is quite obvious, hair colors included. It’s no accident, really, because the writing references the color significance as well: Father Baek talks about white pureness and sinful, filthy darkness. Notably, those colors are reversed on him and Sang-mi.

Speaking of which, the scene with Sang-hwan watching Father Baek pray in this episode finally convinced me that Father Baek truly believes in his own cult religion. Even if he didn’t believe in it at the beginning, he definitely does now, and he recites his religious words and teachings even when there’s no one around. His maniacal laugh in the private worship room really upped to the creepy factor for me. At this point, the only ones inside Guseonwon that don’t actually believe in it are probably Disciple Jo and Sang-mi.

I’m still not too sure about whether or not So-rin can be trusted, even though the show made a point of checking on her credentials. Even though it’s a little counterintuitive, I’m still going to be on edge about her trustworthiness for now, because all our information about her is fairly roundabout and shifty. As a double agent, So-rin can technically play both sides. But in general, it seems that So-rin’s words are genuine, and so far it can only help that our heroes have another ally in their midst.

rescueme11-00639.jpg

Sang-mi has really come into her own as a powerful force inside of Guseonwon, waiting to take it down, and the presence of her allies has enormously boosted her confidence and ability to act rationally. I’m still not sure why her goal shifted from simply getting out of Guseonwon to trying to save everyone and take down Guseonwon completely, but I’ll welcome a chance for Sang-mi to destroy the cult that has consumed her whole family.

I will say I am looking forward to how the show handles this big takedown of the cult. Even though they have five more episodes to do it, it seems like Guseonwon is still firmly rooted and established in Muji, and even with So-rin, there’s still only six people on the side of justice. After all this reconnaissance and evidence-gathering, I’m ready for some action and sweet revenge.

I also can’t wait to see the smug looks wiped off of the church leaders and politicians in this show. And our heroes can definitely make it happen, especially since they’ve all banded together and are moving forward, even if the exact details of the plans haven’t been revealed yet. Operation Guseonwon Takedown is finally a go!

rescueme11-00376.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching??

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

• Rescue Me: I know it shouldn’t matter, but even if nothing else were to change about the show, I feel like it works better if I mentally think of Dong-chul as the hero and Sang-hwan as the ineffectual second lead who means well but can’t get anything done. Maybe that makes Dong-chul even more tragic as a second lead since I don’t think the show will sideline Taec; it just doesn’t work for me quite the way it was intended.

girlfriday

• Rescue Me: I’m. So. Terrified. *watches rest of show through fingers*

HeadsNo2

• Rescue Me: I loved all the new developments and twists this week, even if Sang-mi’s fate is even more uncertain than before. Somehow it was even creepier that her wedding dress was black when she’s supposed to be this symbol of feminine chastity and virtue, and I like that her impending (though hopefully stoppable) “wedding” with Father Baek is seeming more and more like a wedding to Satan himself. This drama’s darkness feeds my dark, dark soul. ♥

tineybeanie

• Rescue Me: Wow, this is much much much more awesome that I thought it would be. The guy who is infiltrating the cult is amazing at acting; his sharp eyes are definitely swoonworthy; I think I may have found my next Kim Woo-bin. I don’t care about Taec or his sideplot political father, but Sang-mi and that guy are great. Lee David is being heavily underutilized though; he’s just showing up as a stooge, when we already know he’s capable of so much more.

cr

@alleverything You have just murdered me with the stills and I'm already in heaven *fangirlingintensifies*

1 hour ago, AlexandraReid said:

javabeans

• Rescue Me: I know it shouldn’t matter, but even if nothing else were to change about the show, I feel like it works better if I mentally think of Dong-chul as the hero and Sang-hwan as the ineffectual second lead who means well but can’t get anything done. Maybe that makes Dong-chul even more tragic as a second lead since I don’t think the show will sideline Taec; it just doesn’t work for me quite the way it was intended.

Ahaha this comment cracked me because I relate to it so much. The writers and production team has done such a bad job at making us root for Sang Hwan, I'm still in denial that he is "First Lead". Taec suits the character and is actually doing a great job portraying him, but it's just that Sang Hwan isn't the hot underdog of the story so it's hard to root for him, plus Woo Do Hwan's truly amazing acting skills.... I'll just keep pretending Dong Cheol is the lead as well until the drama forces an unnecessary love line between SH and SM and disappoint the hell out of me *sigh*

MV OST part 5

I love all the OST of this series. :wub:

With the beautiful voice of Hwayobi in a sad song.

Lyrics (sorry for the mistranslation):

Yeah, like a shower
An inevitable fate
Unknowable
I was trapped in tears.
Awesome
I knew it was fate.

I danced my despair
In the dark
I grabbed me.
I try to beat the air with all my strength.
Go away.
Very far

Stop sadness
I try on today.
Never cry again
Even if I hold my mind
Awesome
Stand in front of this fate.

I danced my despair
In the dark
I grabbed me.
I try to beat the air with all my strength.
Go away.
In front of me

Woo-woo-
Woo-woo-woo
Woo-woo-woo-
Very far
Woo-woo-
Woo-woo-woo
Woo-woo-woo-
In front of me

It's really interesting that Taeceyon took on this role because he is so loving and light hearted and this is a dark drama.  I know he was in Let's fight Ghost but that had funny elements in it too.

Taec's character is upright and kind except the elephant in the closet of letting his best friend get famed and go to prison.  His father is guilty of so many things...well really all the kids parents are.

The lead actress is finally playing a role where I see her talents as an actress.  Previously she has played more comedic roles, silly girls, and this is the role I been hoping to see her in.  She's doing well.

While it's not my favorite genre it is well written and the actors are very good.  It drives me crazy that a cult could manipulate people to this extent but I know it can happen.  Also, that with money the cult can control powerful people in the town...in essence owning the town.  Her father has really gone bonkers.  She has to get her mother and herself out.  The kids have to get them out.  Strategies must be in place for this to happen,  The kid going inside is a great opportunity and I just hope he doesn't drink the Kool-Aide while he's there.

Rescue Me: Episode 12

rescue12-104721.jpg

Guseonwon has never been the joyous, peaceful place it pretends to be, but Father Baek and Disciple Kang have been able to maintain a façade of spiritual wisdom and bliss. But in this episode, that façade starts to crack, allowing us to see the darker sides of these two leaders as they grow more desperate to maintain their hold on Sang-mi.

EPISODE 12 RECAP

We rewind to the events of the last episode, as Sang-mi’s mom walks slowly down a hall in Guseonwon’s sanitarium, only to stop when she hears Sang-jin crying out to her. As she starts to run towards him, she gets pulled back by the specter of Sang-jin’s tormentor, who menacingly asks, “Don’t you know that you’ll never be able to get out of here?”

Mom implores Sang-jin to help her, but he stays where he is and says, “You need to get out of here for Sang-mi to live, so please rescue Sang-mi.” All of a sudden, Mom wakes up in her bed screaming, and we see that she had been dreaming. Sitting straight up, she suddenly yells out, “Sang-mi!”

Spoiler

savme12-00016.jpg

Sensing that something is amiss with Mom, Sang-mi manages to escape her prayer room. After she leaves the main Guseonwon building, Sang-mi starts running toward the sanitarium. At the same time, Mom nervously walks outside and into the woods to look for her daughter.

Instead of Sang-mi, Mom runs into Disciple Kang and, stopping dead in her tracks, she warns her not to come closer and asks where Sang-mi is. Disciple Kang just gives Mom a curious look and muses aloud that the drugs must have worn off.

With an awareness we haven’t seen in Mom for quite a while, she demands to know, “What kind of drugs have you been dosing me up with?” Kang replies that it is the drug that will allow her to stay in paradise forever before beckoning Mom to go back inside with her.

savme12-00043.jpg savme12-00046.jpg

Mom doesn’t move and asks instead, “What are you trying to do to Sang-mi?” Kang explains that they are trying to get Sang-mi on the Boat of Salvation first, and wonders if Mom doesn’t understand how blessed Sang-mi is.

Mom is not having any of it, and continues, “Why on earth are you doing this to us? Why?” To this, Kang gives her a more personal answer, saying that she needs to make Sang-mi Spiritual Mother so that she and her own daughter can reach paradise.

Mom shakes her head at this and stumbles away from the disciple, calling out to Sang-mi to run away. Kang follows her, grabs her from behind, and pulls her away with a hand over her mouth.

=== Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/09/rescue-me-episode-12/

COMMENTS

This show continues to be as dark and intense as ever, but it has me completely hooked. As I watch, I wonder how many poor souls are locked up in the dungeon that Dad has been put in charge of, and how many other girls before Sang-mi were put in her horrifying position only to be met with tragic, untimely ends.

As for Father Baek himself, he has been somewhat of an enigma so far. Unlike Disciple Jo, whose facial expressions can turn on a dime, Baek has so far never broken character to expose himself as the charlatan he is, and unlike Disciple Kang, he has not made us privy to his inner thought process. But now, if there was any doubt, Dong-chul, Sang-hwan, and finally Sang-mi’s most recent experiences with him have shown him to be a cold-blooded, psychopathic megalomaniac.

Terrible, unspeakable things still occur on a regular basis, but there are rays of hope in these more recent episodes that were missing in the earlier ones. The fact that Sang-mi was able to escape once gives us hope that she will eventually escape for good, and that she’ll bring the entire cult down when she does.

Another ray of hope is Detective Lee. Until this episode, he was the character I despised the most. He was utterly opportunistic and indifferent to anything that didn’t serve his own needs, even when he had the knowledge and resources to do the right thing. However, he has now turned from my most hated character to the best hope for an adult in a position of authority to help Sang-mi and the boys.

Spoiler

rescue12-74621.jpg

The fact that Lee saw Yong-min at Guseonwon right after his unsettling discussions with the folks there hopefully will compel him to pursue the truth; he knows things are not right in Guseonwon, and it might be just too much for him to look the other way. Let’s just hope his natural curiosity as a detective and sense of justice overpowers his desire to take bribes from Yong-min and the other corrupt power brokers of Muji.

On the other hand, there is a part of me that doesn’t trust So-rin. We still don’t know much about her, other than that she is a reporter, and her actions raise a lot of questions. For example, why did So-rin have Dong-chul look for a “milky-white liquid” in the pharmacy? First of all, it seems like she would have much better access to the pharmacy herself. Also, why did she specifically tell Dong-chul that the drugs to look for were “not red pills or clear liquid,” when she knows that Mom had been given red pills and that the elephant tranquilizer was a clear green color?

So-rin also showed Sang-mi how to break in to Disciple Kang’s room, and the two probably discussed Sang-mi’s breaking in during the newcomers’ class. So-rin was present at the class, so she saw Disciple Kang leave during that time. Did she try to stop Disciple Kang from going back to her room, or did she perhaps encourage her to go? I hope that So-rin’s intentions to help Sang-mi and her friends are sincere, but her actions certainly seem suspicious.

rescue12-50611.jpg

Of course, the true heroes of our story, regardless of how things turn out, are Sang-mi, Sang-hwan, and Dong-chul — it was very touching that Dong-chul was able to see that Sang-mi and Sang-hwan are living a prison-like existence not unlike his own experience, and that he wants to help his two friends live better lives. His compassion for them shows that he no longer holds resentment towards either of them and sees them as his equals, no more or less victims than he is himself.

It is obvious that Sang-mi needs to be freed from the cult, but Sang-hwan also continues to suffer as his dad further aligns himself with Father Baek. Although the father and son relationship is already strained, it seems like the two will need to go head to head in some way before the end of the show.

The superb acting in Rescue Me has helped draw me into the world of Guseonwon and Muji, giving it a realism I wasn’t expecting. And despite finding Taecyeon bland in Bring It On, Ghost, I like him as Sang-hwan in this show. Granted, Taecyeon’s Sang-hwan doesn’t break my heart repeatedly like Woo Do-hwan’s Dong-chul, or make my skin crawl every time I see him like Jo Sung-ha’s Father Baek. Nevertheless, his portrayal of Sang-hwan and his often-intense relationships with the other characters strike me as genuine, and it makes me care and root for him as a character.

As I become more and more invested in the story and characters of Rescue Me, I find I am less fearful of what will happen and more curious and energized with each episode. Despite the hardships they continue to face, I feel like the tide is slowly turning for our heroes. With any luck, they can bring the cult of Guseonwon down for good and go back to living freer, happier lives.

savme12-00932.jpg

7 hours ago, triplem said:

I think so. I did not see today's eps yet. But I doubt DC would stop them from leaving , so he definitely putting up an act.

yup.. they have caught lee david and from internet broadcasting know that someone has entered gusewon and is snooping around.. so DC must throw off the suspicion.. aand i am also guessing SH would have gone to rescue Lee david..

the only good thing is, if david gets severly hurt adn tells his dad that jo did this to him, hopefully his dad would come to his senses

Oh and my guess was right, kang was romantically involved with spiritual father.. specially given she married a wrong guy and baek tried to make kang's daughter spiritual mother too.. and she too tried to put sense into kang but kang ignored it..therefore the girl had to die (murder or suicinde unclear)

@stroppyse I wasn't implying that Dong Cheol is suicidal I made an obviously bad comparison. I don't know the right, fighters term for this, but it feels like his story his arc, his whole being is coming to a conclusion, he saying his goodbyes (not literally) as in leaving nothing unsaid or dove/letting those he cared about know that he cared whatever so that in the event of his dismiss none of them are left with questions.

Sang Hwan, although grieved would know that Dong Cheol did forgive him for his choices if three years ago and he could go on with life "standing tall". With the preview scene, Sang Mi could go on knowing that no she didn't cause Gus death, she isn't at fault. Dong Cheol know the dangers and went in knowing the possible outcomes. It wasn't because of her, it could have been anyone and he would have helped as much as possible because that's the type of man he is/was. Even with the Dae Sik scene, upon hearing his death Dar Sik wouldn't not have to sit in guilt or wonder if Dong Cheol died hating him  because of their last encounter.

With that visit he knows Dong Cheol still considers him a friend and that fight changed nothing. All these scenes with Dong Cheol feels like page ends and final sets up for goodbye. Like the writers are leaving no room for questioning when it comes to his character. We the audience and the characters are being left with so little what ifs. From a storytelling sense if feels like send offs. 

When I say his death will impact the adults and system it will. Dong Cheol is best friends with Jung Hoon who's' dad is the police of chief of that town. He's the same chief who three years ago arrested Dong Cheol after Sang Jin's brother's death and found Dong Cheol guilty even before an investigation. He branded DC as bad because of his father's reputation and turned a deaf ear to F3s pleas of Dong Cheol's innocence. Then we got Sang Hwan's dad who three years ago orchestrated Dong Cheol's improsionment and today even though he is unaware, Dong Cheol is the main reason he has got those incriminating bank books that he'll use to bring down the former governor. The detective, the detective is the same one who went along with Sang Hwan's dad's schemes and barred Sang Hwan from giving his testimony/completely erased his presence/involvement in things and screwed Dong Cheol's investigation and threw him in jail. 3 years later Dong Cheol unknowingly helps him accomplish a goal. 

The above characters aren't the only ones.

There are so many characters and storylines that Dong Cheol is involved in both them and now (since coming out, he's encountered or somehow -knowingly or not- been involved with those core people again). His death will have an impact on them and their lives be it their sons/brother's grief and falling out and or their being made aware of his entanglement in their lives. Even the politics, gangsters, and cult threads that may come to a head; Dong Cheol has substantial presence/involvement in all three. His death would impact more than just the F4 in big and small ways (and many of the characters aren't even aware of yet).   

I don't want Dong Cheol to die. After Sang Mi, he's my favorite character and the one I want to live the most. At the same time I can see how his death (of it should happen) has been threaded and laid forth in the story. What I mean is, it wouldn't be a surprising, senseless "wtf writers, this is unessary and just don't for the heartbreak". It would hurt but I would get it and even see how they been leading up to it, and why it had to happen (if it happens that, but please don't happen). 

*goes to watch ep 12 and hopefully see positive signs my bb will not perish like my fangirl heart anticipates and won't let go of. Stupid fangirl heart *kicks it*

The above was written before my surgery and before watching ep 13 and bits of 14. I begged my doctors and mom to leg me watch 'Save Me' with a very convincing power point on why dramas have healing effects and Dong Cheol specifically gives me strength (they were close to discussing psych eval :tongue: but I won my case so I'm allowed kdrama an hour every other day.). My surgery went well (thanks for the well wishes). My head is like a volleyball and even though I'm not allowed phone I had to sneak it in and post thoughts because man were ep 13 and bits of 14 sooo good. 

Sangi Mi remains my flawfree queen. Dong Cheol is truly everything. I'm now 75% sure he's going to die and 25% he's going to be seriously injured and maybe hospitalized but ultimately live. 

It all comes down to those gangster ties Dong Cheol has been and remains 'christ on the cross'. Dancing ahjussi just maybe the god who ultimately saves him son/takes him off the cross after he has bleed and nearly died (or has died) so we all may live/save everyone. I'll explain my thoughts in another post soonish. My head hurts and if I'm caught with my phone no more kdramas. Again thanks for your well wishes. Happy watching everyone. So sad next week it's done :( 

I'm on episode 7 and had to read more on this drama because I love it so much so had to join this forum. It's right up there with Signal and Tunnel. The cast is fantastic and every single scene is carefully thought out and the characters' actions are all surprising rather than the usual "now why would you go and do that?" when it comes to a thrilling scene. Really like the intense chemistry of the young cast, no need for a love line but yet it is still one excellent drama. This is like the grownup, adult, thrilling Boys Over Flowers :P.

p.s. doesn't Seo Ye Ji have such a beautiful voice.

Archived