[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

17 hours ago, yukipinkk said:

@makeuptemple @hairuchii

I saw that you both have been wondering a little about why exactly Quebec for the drama and I wanted to share my thoughts because I always thought it was a great pick and the perfect symbolism for this drama. Quebec and Quebec city are probably the most european places in north america and they pull off that classic french style without overdoing it. The city is also really known for its architecture because it still preserves that 19th century style. We've seen throughout the drama how KS really enjoys 19th century style and artwork. I could go on about the boring historical stuff but generally it is a very classic and calm city so it goes well with KS's character tone.

Another thing about the maple leaf is that it was used with different colors for different flags (Quebec and Ontario). Then the red maple leaf was chosen as a national symbol for the flag when these two became one with all the other provinces in Canada. So I think it represents harmony, unity, and peace. Also, historically, precious coins of platinum, gold, silver, and so on, were known as maple leafs. Which is why I believe the maple leaf brings on the symbolism of something peaceful, natural, precious, and something that unites and harmonizes. I believe these are the things ET was granting KS when she gave him the maple leaf. I hope I didn't sound too boring :sweatingbullets:

@yukipinkk @bebebisous33 @packmule3  was waiting for someone to write somehting about the significant of Maple leaf, Buckwheat, and even that awesome dandelion (i have a thing for dandelion).... like what bebebisous33 and packmule3 so skillfully point out many thing or objects in this drama has hidden inner significant and are metaphors of greater meaning... i always think Maple and Buckwheat should meant something. 
oh, was it mentioned before and i missed those post?

guess maple is something like Olive Branch? harmony, unity, peace? its goes around. it was actually Goblin who caught the leaf, and Bride snatch it from him as she tricked him into looking at the direction of the 'European ghost" then, somewhat he didnt take it back. then at the sea side, she gave him back as a gift after laminated? and he kept it .... she found it again as his prized possession.... its so beautifully weaved in between the two of them. (buckwheat seems to be always tied to been a very healthy source of inexpensive food, even dated back then in ancient time... how is it link to the saga of Goblin, beside the "Lover' meaning, i do NOT know of. )

add-on edit: the 'Peace' within that Maple leave can signify that thru ET, he gain peace with God. and the peace within himself, that he was indeed loved, by G-d Himself. ultimately, ET may be the channel whereby he make peace with WangYeo. Peace is something he wanted and lacking for 939 years. both Wang Yeo and himself, is much lacking. longevity without peace and joy and love, is not worth living.

• Like 12

Spoiler
1 hour ago, ucylucy said:

The article from Soompi just came out about the pre-empt. I hope this also gives time for the cast and production to get some rest. Wishing the cast and crew good health! Fighting!!

“Goblin” Episode 14 Pushed Back To Next Week

Goblin-Gong-Yoo.png

We’re going to have to wait a little bit more to see “Goblin” episode 14, originally scheduled for broadcast on January 14. Episode 13 will air on Friday, January 13 as scheduled.

Instead of episode 14, “Goblin” will be airing a special episode explaining the complicated relationships of the characters as well as foreshadowing what’s to come “in order for viewers to be able to enjoy the remaining story with more fun and ease,” said tvN.

Episode 14 will air next week on January 20, and episodes 15 and 16 will air back-to-back on January 21.

The production staff of “Goblin” said, “Because this drama is of a genre that’s different from anything we’ve ever done before, we were very pressed for time with all the high-difficulty filming, CG, and post-production. In order to deliver the highest quality product to viewers, we will do our best for the remaining episodes.”

https://www.soompi.com/2017/01/10/goblin-episode-14-pushed-back-next-week/

Chinese media outlet claims Gong Yoo has health issues + management SOOP responds

gong-yoo_1484099376_af_org.jpg

Gong Yoo's label, Management SOOP, responded to rumors about the actor's health.

Rumors about Gong Yoo's health surfaced recently following a report by a Chinese media outlet claiming that Gong Yoo is suffering from health issues.

In response, Management SOOP explained, "The reports about Gong Yoo's health is false. It's true that he's been tired lately wrapping up filming [for 'Goblin], but he does not have any severe health issues at all. Chinese fans showed concerns and wrote on SNS that Gong Yoo does not look too well. A Chinese media outlet then reported about Gong Yoo's health issues, but currently, he's doing his best to film 'Goblin'." 

Glad to hear the reports are false. Always stay healthy, Gong Yoo!

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/01/chinese-media-outlet-claims-gong-yoo-has-health-issues-management-soop-responds

*Very glad to hear that Gong Yoo is still in good health

I told my self gwenchana 3x 

It will be turtoring but highest quality of drama is way more important!

Goblin hwaiting!!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

Back from work and off again soon.

Just some lightness for the thread. 

Spoiler

grDV73.gif

I always automatically smile when I rewatch this scene. ^^

Same here, I re-watched this scene many times.  I love the fact "that handsome men" is Gong Yoo's back :blush:, plus their wonderful smiles at the end confirming their longingness for each other.  It's just so beautiful!!  And I hope they'll release Roy Kim's Heaven this week too so that we have 1 more awesome OST from the KIM clans to listen to!

Goblin Hwaiting!  Thanks for bringing such a high quality drama!

• Like 13

@bubblegumpops  I think he sang on SBS Inkigayo on December 2016 looking exactly like Deok-hwa. I can't get any video yet, but there are screenshots like this one

IMG_20170111_122327.jpg

If I'm not mistaken that's definitely Deok-hwa's turtleneck and one of his coats. He came much later than other BtoB members, didn't wear their stage costume (granted, he performed solo..but still). He left so soon, too and looked so tired (at least that's what his avid fans said). 

I remember people on Twitter commented like "Yook Sung-jae, oops Deok-hwa is singing" , "Kim Shin will be so proud" etc. At that time I thought it was really funny but now I know he must be so tired. 

EDIT: And his fans asked on Twitter what was he so upset about, etc. I bet the exhaustion had started to kick in.

Edited by selenette
  • Like 11

@yukipinkk  I love that Quebec post, thank you for describing a city so beautifully. I want Kim Shin to say to Eun-tak that he will take her to beautiful cities where there are exquisite art, including music, like Klaus of TVD once said to Caroline (I think dear @maryofbethany and my other ShinTak shippers friends here will find it romantic). I want the characters to travel the world in joy and laughter.

@Sunset90  The whole club scene with Above!Deok-hwa, Kim Shin and Wang Yeo was beautifully shot and dramatically acted. Gong Yoo's reaction at the end was priceless, Lee Dong-wook and Yook Sung-jae nearly broke character from laughing.

@Nymeria289 I've never greeted you properly before, sorry. So ...hi! Yes I hope they're all okay. They've worked so hard!

Edited by selenette
  • Like 8

Just came across an article discussing the WangSun kiss in episode 12. Sharing a translation (as accurately as I can) of the article.

Kudos to LDW and YIN for working so hard to film the scene! I'm sure they'd be heartened to know that viewers have felt every bit of emotion that they portrayed in that scene.

20170111100228.jpg

Lee Dong Wook and Yoo In Na filmed the emotional kiss scene on 2 January at Jongno District in Seoul. The moment LDW and YIN arrived on set, they were already immersed fully in their roles and the emotions of this important kiss scene. Even when the director said "cut", LDW and YIN's tears couldn't stop flowing. The crew watching by the side were also affected by how emotional the scene was, with silence falling upon the scene/set (while the scene was filmed).

It was also revealed that LDW and YIN has been working hard for their roles and researching continuously. On the day the scene was filmed, the temperature had fallen below 0 degree celcius. However, both actors braved the cold, determined to deliver their best efforts in filming this scene.

http://chinese.joins.com/gb/article.do?method=detail&art_id=161980

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, ucylucy said:

I hope the actors and production crew can complete the filming with ease and in better health now that they have a little bit of a leeway from tvN without the rush complete 2 episodes this week.

Anyways, with the ending being less than a week and a half away, I want to re-visit the clip of the glimpse of Eun Tak's future that Kim Shin saw when they crossed path for the first time in the rain in episode 1.  The clip in episode 1 was in black and white so it was hard to make out the grainy images. But I found the same clip in the long trailer preview and luckily it's in color. If this is a glimpse of Eun Tak's future that he saw, I see that Kim Shin himself is in his vision and I have a feeling that we might see them in Quebec again in the final episode (it looks like Kim Shin is standing at his vassals' graveyard in Quebec in one of the flashing scene). I'm looking forward to seeing how this scene will be revealed to the viewers in the upcoming episode. 

I also missed that we did not get enough ShinTak moments in episode 12. I was able to console myself  by watching my favorite Goblin episode so far- episode 9 because it was mostly a ShinTak episode where they finally confessed their love to each other. The episode felt like a different drama - it was so ethereally beautiful, set in a snowy white environment. The visuals and cinematography was just stunning. Everything about that episode was perfect and romantically beautiful for a love confession. My heart still trip every time I see the ShinTak's back hug.

Anyways, I want to leave with my new favorite music video and my new favorite OST, Urban Zapaka's "Wish." For me, this song, with the band's different beautiful vocals blending harmoniously together, the touching and earnest lyrics and the beautifully cut MV perfectly capture the mood and emotions of Kim Shin and Eun Tak's journey to love.

See you all tomorrow, hopefully with the new episode 13 preview!

and there is some kiss too i think. if you look closely. that's not a kiss from episode 10 hmmm i dont know maybe i'm wrong :crazy:

*backtowork*

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

48 non stop filming is crazy. Just crazy. And tVN will not lose a dime from this because Goblin is the current trend so the one week gap is okay. 

Kinda off topic

Hide contents

I find it ironic that Gong Yoo rejected KES scripts for five years, same as his cousin, Kang Dong Won.

And the reason why KDW rejects to do dramas is simply about the live shooting.

*yet he rejected the initial offering of DOTS so...he got other reasons lol*

There was a 2011 interview I read on dramabeans 

link is here:http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/09/gong-yoo-shedding-his-softer-image/

Sure the interview is outdated, but this was 1-2 years following his discharge. I got the sense that he wanted an image change, and move away from the rom-com typecast. I'm not sure why he accepted Big (2012) since that was filmed following this interview, but I suppose the Hong sisters were too big of a name to refuse. Unfortunately, Big (2012) didn't do as well as people hoped, ratings wise and ending wise. This is what I've read online (Dramabeans & Koala's Playground) and I've only watched a handful episodes of Coffee Prince, but have watched A Man and Woman (2016) and now Goblin. So his most "current" films following Big, seems to be moving towards a different career route, less conventional, I would say. Especially A Man and Woman (I mean adultery is involved! so that's already pushing away some viewers)

So maybe that's part of why he said no to all the big dramas up until now?

Though since he accepted Goblin, I feel like he's far less likely to pick another drama.. he'll be 40 if not over 40 when he does another drama, and the roles in Kdramas seem a bit limited in their character archetypes.. I mean how long can you actually play the rich chaebol and not get tired of it or have seen enough people playing it? And then there's the issue of finding a compatible female lead.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

It only shows how tough their filming is !

Can't believe this drama has to end soon

Omooo....i cried a lot when i was watching this scene.

Edited by LyraYoo
Please do not quote images
  • Like 3

-- Episode 12 --

So I was wrong about Deok Hwa. I thought he might be a reincarnation of the right-hand man of Butterfly God rather than the God itself. I like that this episode answered and confirmed my speculation about 'Fate'--i.e. it is they who make the choice and change their own fate.

I'm a little sad Chairman Yoo's death happen off-screen. The impact would have been deeper if we were at least shown Grim Reaper serving him tea and sending him off. But either way, I nearly cried a bucket when Shin sobbed alone in his room, and wrote the RIP writings since I could read and understand it. :bawling: But it bugs me why the production crew can't keep the character's Hanja names consistent? Is this really a mistake or it's a traditional culture thing that we, new generation, don't know about--some rules where certain word is applicable to the living and to the dead...?

And urgh, how frustrating is it that Shin can't hurt Park Joong Won? If Shin can't send him to hell, can a Grim Reaper do it? My guess is Shin and Grim Reaper need to work together to ghost-buster him. Come to think of it, it's quite unfair he gets to roam around free for so many years without any punishment. It's also an unsatisfying thought that I may not be able to see karma bestowed on him in the finale.

Anyone has a theory as to why Eun Tak can't see the ghost anymore? I'm thinking it's because of the goblin magic in her that is disappearing gradually (the birthmark is the proof). I worry soon she will no longer be able to cross over with Shin through the door or even see the sword.

I am glad we have temporary peace and quietness for Shin & Eun Tak at the moment. They deserve some happy times before the grand scheme of things kick in. The good thing is both lovelines are intriguing in their own unique ways.

For Goblin couple, I like how she enters into Shin's life, turn it upside down, and change him for the better. Narratively, they were two lonely souls who console and provide company for each other. Eun Tak brought life to Shin. Both of them receive character growth when they are together. Their current relationship is what I would define as Platonic Love. It is also a suitable type of love for their current age gap setup. It's a type of love I like to think Shin has chosen as he awaits his bride to mature mentally and physically. I like that he is being a gentleman. Or, we could see it from another perspective--that he has been a monk for over a 1000 years that he's not sure how to advance on his bride, LOL! But I prefer the former. :blush:

As for Grim Reaper and Sunny, watching Grim Reaper dwell over the littliest thing (e.g. name card) or being a love fool were an enjoyment. But their loveline is very different to the Goblin couple. They are currently haunted by the past, and really, they are attracted to one another because of the love/hate/grudge from their past life. If we take that away, Sunny is Sunny--a new life and a different personality to Kim Sun. It's similar case for Grim Reaper, he had led a new life for the past 300 years and developed new personality. This complicated, entangled past relationship is what makes their love story interesting when it slowly unfold in recent episodes. But narratively, I am actually less convinced of the deeply rooted love Grim Reaper and Sunny felt for one another--this is because they barely know each other in the present. I suppose this becomes redundant once both of them remember their past life. But my brain keeps questioning whether their relationship will work since they are no longer the same person as they were. Attraction is there, no doubt, but it isn't everything to make a relationship work, and thus, their relationship have to start with a clean slate all over again (most likely off-screen after the finale, unfortunately).

---

A little sad there is no episode 14 this weekend, but I am glad tvN made this decision based on how hectic it had been for the production team. Goblin's quality has been very stable so far, and I really want it to maintain its quality till the very end (for once please!).

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Chellsee said:

Gong Yoo (The Actor, Not His Character) Is Eun Tak’s Number One Fan Behind The Scenes Of “Goblin”

Our resident goblin may have some competition, from the very actor who plays him.

In a newly released behind-the-scenes video of tvN’s “Goblin,” Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun were all laughter as they practice their lines and walkthrough their actions.

While some of these scenes ended up being more emotional and serious in the actual drama, the same couldn’t be said about when they were practicing. The two actors were like beagles as they hilariously added their own adlibs and motions.

Gong Yoo said some of his lines in dialect and made Kim Go Eun crack up, but was in turn taken aback himself when the actress suddenly took a picture of him.

In another scene, their sudden hug made them laugh at the sound of the impact, and they continued to joke around during breaks.

At the very end, Gong Yoo turned into a photographer for “Eun Tak,” and couldn’t stop fawning over her beauty. While taking pictures, he kept asking the others, “Isn’t she pretty? She’s so pretty right?,” all with a mischievous look on his face.

Watch the whole adorable making video here!

“Goblin” airs every Friday and Saturday. Catch the show on Viki exclusively in Europe!

https://www.soompi.com/2017/01/10/gong-yoo-actor-not-character-eun-taks-number-one-fan-behind-scenes-goblin/

I like to see their interaction in the behind the scenes. I think they are quite close and comfortable with each other :blush:

Edited by LyraYoo
Please do not quote images
  • Like 14

This is completely off topic, but

do any of you guys know if actors and actresses have to audition for their roles? In Hollywood and in Korea, some people are offered roles, which is fine, but in Hollywood at least everything is audition based and there are so many cast changes before the movie is made or TV pilot gets picked up.

I totally understand GY getting offered the role, but besides the A-listers which only comes out to be a handful, what about everyone else? LDW had to prove himself after getting rejected by auditioning to the writer, and even the word "audition" wasn't explicitly stated in the articles I read up on. ANd he was rejected initially... just because.. (maybe he didn't have the right 'look', maybe the writer didn't want LDW to play second to GY, who knows, but that's all pretty meh reasons since he didn't audition).

It's also odd to me when there's a really big height difference between the leads, which is fine the men are just extremely tall lol, but from a cinematographer's perspective, isn't it harder to catch them in the same frame? Off topic again, but sometimes in chase scenes the girls are wearing mega high heels to match the height of the male, which doesn't make sense.. cuz it's a chase scene lol.

I feel like in Korea, there isn't the big audition where the leads show the director whether they have chemistry. It seems to me that through some way, the script gets delivered to actor, he/she has limited time to say yes/no, and if it is a no, production team makes offer to another person. If yes, then the person is cast. Is it really this simple?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or if any of you are korean film/TV insiders, I would definitely like to know!

• Like 8