[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

@Princi_86 Thanks for clarifying the rumors! In any of the scenarios it is still bad for Sunny, and having a (or the?) female Grim Reaper erasing Sunny's memories making it 1,000x worse (LOL sorry it's midnight here, my words have turned hyperbolic). 

IF said female Grim Reaper is the one whom many people believe was that suspicious palace maid... then perhaps her role in the current timeline would parallel what she did back then in Goryeo era, i.e. she probably conspired with that viper, Eunuch Park, to ruin Wang Yeo and Kim Sun's relationship.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

An interesting perspective from a critic point of view 

Warning, may provoke thoughts, and emotions.

Hide contents

Korean drama 'Goblin' popular but controversial

Photo: Internet screengrab

In the popular TV drama series "Goblin," the male lead is, quite literally, a god.

Based on the Korean folklore of dokkaebi, a higher spiritual being roughly translated as goblin, the drama series features actor Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, a warrior born centuries ago who, after being impaled with a sword, is transformed into an immortal dokkaebi with endless wealth.

Korean dramas have notoriously favoured near-perfect male leads -- attractive, intelligent, heirs to vast fortunes and more.

"Goblin" has gone one step further in conjuring an ideal knight-in-shining armour, TV critics say.

"We've evolved past god-like men to actual gods, who don the appearance of good-looking human men," said culture critic Jung Duk-hyun.

"Now, their abilities surpass the realm of human strengths."

Jung says the popularity of the dokkaebi character -- "Goblin" has boasted a record-breaking viewership since its Dec. 2 launch on cable channel tvN, scoring 12.7 per cent according to Nielsen Korea -- can be attributed to female viewers' yearning for all-powerful male figures who can solve the problems of modern women's increasingly stressful lives.

"The realistic ideal is that two people complement each other in a relationship," said Choi Ji-sun, 28, a lawyer who has watched every episode of the show, which airs Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m.

"But it's easy to escape to a world where someone will come to my side at the drop of a hat, no questions asked, and provide everything. Of course, I would never expect that of my real life partner."

In "Goblin," the female lead Ji Eun-tak, played by Kim Go-eun, is able to summon Dokkaebi Kim simply by blowing out a flame.

Hit drama series in recent years have seen a surge in male leads who possess supernatural powers.

In the 2013 show "I Can See Your Voice," the male protagonist can read people's minds. The following year, "My Love from the Stars" featured an extraterrestrial with superhuman powers of sight, hearing and speed as its romantic lead.

The male love interest in "Another Oh Hae Young," which aired last May, is able to see into the future.

"With these abilities, the male becomes a saviour of sorts to the female," said culture critic Ha Jae-geun.

"Female viewers find comfort in these characters. But their very support of such characters could lead to a decline in women's social status."

During the same period, meanwhile, dramas also saw a rise in independent, true-to-life female roles, suggesting that the Cinderella complex no longer has a footing in Korean television.

"Another Oh Hae Young" was lauded for portraying a flawed, relatable female protagonist who is honest about her emotions.

"I Can See Your Voice" featured a competent, older female prosecutor as its lead.

The currently airing "Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo" spotlights a heroine for whom a slim figure is not a priority.

"Goblin," however, offers a female lead who is downtrodden and naive, reminiscent of the conventional "damsel in distress" type.

Ji is motherless, living with relatives who scorn her as a burden to their family, and ostracized at school; Dokkaebi Kim comes to provide for her material comfort and shelter.

Granted, the character is sprightly and determined to survive despite hardships, seeking out part-time jobs to support herself.

"But it's a shame she is unable to escape the Cinderella stereotype, especially when her male partner is so almighty," says drama critic Kim Sun-young.

The fact that Ji is portrayed as a high school student has sparked further controversy.

Dokkaebi Kim is said to be 934 years old, though he sports the appearance of a 30-something man.

"The system of fantasy blocks any guilt and allows viewers to accept, without being repulsed, the romance between a minor and an older man," wrote TV critic Hwang Jin-mi in a column last month.

"But the image of a young girl ... hanging onto a rich, 30-something man ... lingers."

Awkward product placement

Another issue that has plagued "Goblin" is its overt and awkward product placement.

In a segment in its eighth episode, which aired Dec. 24, the two main characters are at Subway, discussing in detail which ingredients to choose and how large the sandwiches are.

The dokkaebi and his housemate only eat fried chicken from a certain franchise for days in a row; every piece of clothing and interior decor is exhibited as if in a magazine spread, and the camera captures brand names.

Though it is normal for TV series to use product placements to fund production, viewers say it has become "excessive to the point of distracting" in "Goblin."

"It's gotten to a place where the products (the characters) use are moving the plot along," said Park Su-jeong, 48.

The competition for product placement in hit dramas is higher than ever, advertising executives say, as featured items sell out instantly both in Korea and throughout Asia.

Makeup brand Laneige, for example, reaped 1.2 billion won (S$1.4 million) in profit from the lipstick used by actress Song Hye-kyo in last year's smash hit drama "Descendants of the Sun."

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/showbiz/korean-dram-goblin-popular-controversial?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1483612092

I am actually drafting my thoughts about Kim Go Eun's character (amidst those criticism about her as an actress on face value .. and also to add insights from everyone thoughts about her in this thread) as Eun Tak when I came across on this article.

I actually laud Eun Tak. Not a damsel in distress as some perceived but viewers must have missed her value in the show because (1) the perception made with a series of attribution errors while watching (2) other reasons related to the character but not directly a valid ground to support such.

She , from the four characters (Goblin, Reaper, Deok Hwa, Sunny) have the most matured character,maybe having a mental age of 25 or above , with the demeanor and attitude she has in addressing her stressors and emotional turmoil.  She came from an abusive "foster" family , bullied by classmates at school, and CAN SEE FREAKING GHOSTS.

She can see ghosts .

Reveal hidden contents

Reference: Master Sun's character when female lead Tae Gong Shil grew up isolating herself from the world because she can see ghosts. 

That is not normal at all. And that alone , had been her life for 19 years and people still take it for granted as she is branded as damsel in distress.

Sigh.

Not that I am quite emotional when audience forget something crucial on something that they themselves does not experience. For me, that alone is another level of challenging your emotional quotient, left alone that she, despite all these , excel in school and studies diligently. I myself wonder how is it to see ghosts. Would I become normal at the age of 19 onwards? 

Eun Tak , aside from seeing those ghosts, also pester her that she is a Goblin Bride when she herself did not encounter such goblin for 19 years (which also make sense why she is 19, because during those years Goblin is in Canada).

Just because she have the life-saving scenario in episode 2, episode 3 backed up her character to dissuade the damsel in distress.

She was mad as they walked till morning because the immortals a.k.a superheroes did not bring a car.

She rather choose to stay in Goblin's house than die of cold in the streets.

She rather choose to love Goblin than to lose her precious bag.

(And other deductions made by precious people in this thread, I can no longer tag miyane )

She is the most practical character I have encountered. And being a heroine does not only entail a character who can fight off thugs (KES' Gil Ra Im ) or being a feisty fighter for justice ( fill in the blanks, they are a bunch ) . She , is a strong character for me in terms of handling her emotions. And that is giving her more edge to those typical heroines I have encountered from watching. 

Hide contents

This is also the dilemma about Yoo In Na's character in QIHM, when she was questioned about doing nothing when in fact her most powerful deed in that drama was TO WAIT and we all know waiting, patience is a virtue .

Well different people have different perspective, i don't see what the critic said about cinderella stereotype in ET or a young girl hanging onto older rich man, what i see she definitely capable to survive on her own without hanging onto older rich man, and what she's really hanging onto was a dream of having familiy. Goblin help her when she got kidnapped, but we actually can get help by people around us, she didn't need to be superior also to complement Goblin's almighty

As i have said different people have different views on how they saw the world around them.

Anyway i concur with your thought.  I love ET's character.

• Like 22

17 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

An interesting perspective from a critic point of view 

Warning, may provoke thoughts, and emotions.

Hide contents

Korean drama 'Goblin' popular but controversial

Photo: Internet screengrab

In the popular TV drama series "Goblin," the male lead is, quite literally, a god.

Based on the Korean folklore of dokkaebi, a higher spiritual being roughly translated as goblin, the drama series features actor Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, a warrior born centuries ago who, after being impaled with a sword, is transformed into an immortal dokkaebi with endless wealth.

Korean dramas have notoriously favoured near-perfect male leads -- attractive, intelligent, heirs to vast fortunes and more.

"Goblin" has gone one step further in conjuring an ideal knight-in-shining armour, TV critics say.

"We've evolved past god-like men to actual gods, who don the appearance of good-looking human men," said culture critic Jung Duk-hyun.

"Now, their abilities surpass the realm of human strengths."

Jung says the popularity of the dokkaebi character -- "Goblin" has boasted a record-breaking viewership since its Dec. 2 launch on cable channel tvN, scoring 12.7 per cent according to Nielsen Korea -- can be attributed to female viewers' yearning for all-powerful male figures who can solve the problems of modern women's increasingly stressful lives.

"The realistic ideal is that two people complement each other in a relationship," said Choi Ji-sun, 28, a lawyer who has watched every episode of the show, which airs Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m.

"But it's easy to escape to a world where someone will come to my side at the drop of a hat, no questions asked, and provide everything. Of course, I would never expect that of my real life partner."

In "Goblin," the female lead Ji Eun-tak, played by Kim Go-eun, is able to summon Dokkaebi Kim simply by blowing out a flame.

Hit drama series in recent years have seen a surge in male leads who possess supernatural powers.

In the 2013 show "I Can See Your Voice," the male protagonist can read people's minds. The following year, "My Love from the Stars" featured an extraterrestrial with superhuman powers of sight, hearing and speed as its romantic lead.

The male love interest in "Another Oh Hae Young," which aired last May, is able to see into the future.

"With these abilities, the male becomes a saviour of sorts to the female," said culture critic Ha Jae-geun.

"Female viewers find comfort in these characters. But their very support of such characters could lead to a decline in women's social status."

During the same period, meanwhile, dramas also saw a rise in independent, true-to-life female roles, suggesting that the Cinderella complex no longer has a footing in Korean television.

"Another Oh Hae Young" was lauded for portraying a flawed, relatable female protagonist who is honest about her emotions.

"I Can See Your Voice" featured a competent, older female prosecutor as its lead.

The currently airing "Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo" spotlights a heroine for whom a slim figure is not a priority.

"Goblin," however, offers a female lead who is downtrodden and naive, reminiscent of the conventional "damsel in distress" type.

Ji is motherless, living with relatives who scorn her as a burden to their family, and ostracized at school; Dokkaebi Kim comes to provide for her material comfort and shelter.

Granted, the character is sprightly and determined to survive despite hardships, seeking out part-time jobs to support herself.

"But it's a shame she is unable to escape the Cinderella stereotype, especially when her male partner is so almighty," says drama critic Kim Sun-young.

The fact that Ji is portrayed as a high school student has sparked further controversy.

Dokkaebi Kim is said to be 934 years old, though he sports the appearance of a 30-something man.

"The system of fantasy blocks any guilt and allows viewers to accept, without being repulsed, the romance between a minor and an older man," wrote TV critic Hwang Jin-mi in a column last month.

"But the image of a young girl ... hanging onto a rich, 30-something man.

Reveal hidden contents

Reference: Master Sun's character when female lead Tae Gong Shil grew up isolating herself from the world because she can see ghosts. 

People forget it's FICTION DRAMA lol sorry with caps. 

And they didn't research too for people who was live in year 1100s Kim Shin age isn't thirty something. They all mature younger than us now. Kim Sun age i believe betwen 15-17 years old. And Kim Shin as general his age betwen 26-28yrs old. on that time he's in category old enough as single man. Most of them are married in young age betwen 15-19. And it still happen in early 1900., Eun Tak is 19. I dont think she is minor. 

Eun Tak didnt hanging into him, she did work. as real Goblin character they really love money and gold they dont like spent, they more like to collecting that's why he never gives EunTak money or material things he even ask her to work.

If Eun Tak amazed with her man wealthyness, because she's only 19. Girls/boys on that age doesnt think long about anything. They just say what in their mind but then Kim Shin knock her to return to reality (she must work and pay rent)

This drama criticism, has weak critic about Goblin drama. She/he needs to research first before writes it.. 

Wondering how come she/he became drama criticism....

• Like 22

Moving on...

@LyraYoo That article deserves a witty answer and I thank you for providing it. My support for your argument is from my training as a sociologist and my interest in gender studies.

From what I learn, and most likely what the quoted culture and film experts learn too, critical discourse analysis of a mass media product, as well as gender analysis, are largely taken from Western theories (and culture) which sadly often overlook local cultural values. Something like patience, therefore, is perceived as gender inequality (i.e. that the woman is discriminated, subordinated, etc etc).

What Western feminists perceive as social wrong, we (and I blame myself too when I blame them) readily perceive it as wrong, too. Often by disregarding the complexities within local cultures. Fantasy stories are never viewed as fantasy, in critical discourse analysis, their connections with real life events are what matter.

To tell you the truth, if I was asked to do a critical discourse analysis on Goblin, I would probably say the same things as the experts because I can't stray too far from the conceptual framework, a.k.a. the Western theories. Things such as Eun-tak's abilities to see ghosts, to talk back to the Goblin and the Grim Reaper, are disregarded as not-empowering, as long as Eun-tak doesn't seem empowered to them.

If I can point out what the critics should have done from a researcher's standpoint, is to confirm their critical findings with Kim Eun-sook, tvN, and the production team. See whether tvN shows are dominated by pushover women, or whether kdrama damsels in distress are really similar to Eun-tak, or whether the dialogues etc really signify subordination of women. These critics released their statements too fast, probably because today's journalism demands it.

In short, you can't always listen to social scientists...LOL I mean, they probably enjoy Goblin in secret. And even if they don't, their words won't change the story in any way.

Edited by selenette
  • Like 21

7 hours ago, staygold said:

What rumors!! you guys are giving me anxiety!!! Should I get myself some tea before I back read?!! :anguished:

Relax, let me tell you a secret...

Spoiler

i am waiting the hot kisses... ☺️☺️☺️ hahahahaha.....

AAA.png

yaaaay less than 24 hours....

tick tock tick tock.....

PS : hahaha I'm glad you (chingus) liked my spoiler (my intentions were pure teasing @staygold)

anyway VIRTUAL HUGS TO YOU @selenette

1h5lve.gif

COUNT DOWN 11 HOURS 07 MINUTES 03 SECONDS

Edited by naritul
add countdown, and virtual hugs
  • Like 20

@naritul @selenette lol.... I managed to go back and read!! Since I was prepared for them (after the warning!!) I am not upset!! :) Let me offer you a hug first!! All is well!! Don't fret!! Trust the team!

On a positive note, even if those rumors turn out to be true (i doubt!) with the kind of work the PD, cast and writer have displayed, the scenes will be more beautiful than the rumors make it out to be!

@LyraYoo Excellent write up!! I get overly frustrated with the said criticisms!! I agree there is great deal of misogyny in kdrama. Even when the female lead is not human she is made to appear in distress!! (LOTBS anyone!! I am yet to delve deep into it and discover that I may be wrong! I would be pleased if I am!) Therefore, I am happy someone as eloquent as you, @selenette or @packmule3(with her babette's feast analogy) can put it across perfectly!! I feel happy that there are so many like me who think on the same lines!!

@naritul I am waiting for those too!! Whichever OTP delivers them is fine... as long as they ARE delivered!! 

Edited by staygold
spelling!! when will i learn!!
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, selenette said:

@staygold Dear, they are just rumors. No need to backread, and save the tea for tomorrow. 

Btw I'm running out of tea and chocolate. If I need them this Friday from stress, can anyone offer me any virtual hug? 

What rumors? Lol... i've left behind 30+ pages :bawling:  

*i am offering a virtual hug for you chingu 458.gif

• Like 3

This is real cute  since we have KES name dropping those Kpop groups in Goblin while Kim Go Eun might have a possible twin in  another pop group Top Secret.

TWIN ZONE: Kim Go Eun and Top Secret's KyeongHa

91aa301c-eed1-48a2-8baf-1aca27a288b9.png

Are we all under Kim Go Eun and KyeongHa's spell?

Netizens are flabbergasted at the recent revelation that the Goblin actress and Top Secret member look like siblings. To our knowledge, the celebrity pair are not biologically related, but their stunning facial features are surprisingly identical. Photos of the 18-year-old idol have been uploaded on various online communities with the title Male Idol Who Looks Like Kim Go Eun. I have to agree that their face shape, friendly smile and cute eyes are just a few of the things that have you doing a double take. The reason we haven't seen KyeongHa until now, is because he just made his official debut with Top Secret this month. Their music video teaser for "She" hit YouTube on December 29. 

Netizen comments on his photos ranged from the sibling reference to the fact that they thought the rookie idol's images were photoshopped. Let's put it to the test by a little video comparison, shall we? Check out KyeongHa's idol teaser video and our girl doing her thing in Goblin.

Spoiler

In your opinion, are they twinning? Do you think he should play her brother in an upcoming production?

https://www.dramafever.com/news/netizens-discover-that-kim-go-eun-and-top-secrets-kyungha-are-twinning/

Spoiler

• Like 13

Just wanted everyone to know that this forum gives me life! Thank you all so much! Seriously, I have like no one to talk with about this show and I love it so much, so, reading your comments just really gets me through the week! <3 All the love! XD

• Like 10

@LyraYoo LOL thanks for the hug and that particular gif! Somehow I think their friendship will be deeper and meaningful if they survive the past revelation and then reconcile.

But I digress.

I think you're right. The critics in the article are ambiguously divided between placing women in Western feminism view and feeling much discomfort in older man-young woman (a.k.a the age gap question) relationship... which is essentially an Asian point of view? Not sure about that, I have to read and compare LOL. 

On the other hand, I've just found some things that the critics missed, and which could prove that the male and female characters are not 100% molded in the usual gender stereotype. 

1. Sunny. Yes,she's a scaredy cat when it comes to ghosts, and she puts on makeup to attract men (these would probably be pointed out as an example of a damsel in distress behavior and subordination to men), but she finds and breaks up with men in an utterly open attitude and body language. She's the one who flirts and makes decisions.

She sets up her own store, and she hires Eun-tak with a salary, so she empowers another woman. She lends Eun-tak an emotional support too, so there goes the empowerment again.

2. The Grim Reaper. He is the giddy one in a relationship. He folds towels and does other household chores. What was previously established as "feminine" is challenged by Kim Eun-sook: Can't a man do these too? Must a man be associated with femininity in doing these types of chores, or must we be afraid of embracing our masculine or feminine side?

These questions had already broken the boundaries of usual Asian gender roles and norms.

3. The Queen. She was young but she knew how to exercise her authority. Yes, there was the cherry blossom scene, in which she fell into the King's arms. But in a place where a woman could easily turn into just a pawn, she still defied her husband to stand by her moral principles (although she died as a result, and although her brother, with whom she sided, is male).

4. The Goblin is the more sensitive one in his relationship with Eun-tak, breaking the usual gender stereotype of women's sensitivity. He craves for attention, pines when she isn't around, carries a flower bouquet from a melancholic place, and isn't afraid to show that he's afraid.

5. Both the Goblin and the Grim Reaper are excellent in cooking. Another challenge to the usual gender stereotype and labeling that chefs are the only males who can be seen cooking. The Goblin and the Grim Reaper don't just cook to impress or buly women. They do it because they want to, so this isn't male domination.

6. Eun-tak's female cousin. She isn't the rudest to Eun-tak, but she is certainly the most cunning in the umbrella-hogging family. She was the one who ran away with the gold bars first, and although she was later found, she never became as "obedient" (for lack of a better word) as her brother. In Criminology, women are usually perceived as either victims or criminals in crimes of passion, but here she was a criminal for purely financial reasons.

EDIT: Or the male and female cousins are equally bad. They both ended up in police custody.

I'm afraid the rambling things are what I can come up with. It's already 2 A.M here, so Happy Friday!

Edited by selenette
LMAO Flower bucket. Sleeplessness does things
  • Like 20

2 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

So more angst thrown in our way with both new accident for the Bride and more flashbacks.

I can't wait, on a lighter note, 

Raise Your Hands If you're eagerly waiting for our Grim Reaper to get his first Kiss from Sunny  :wub:

@Nymeria289 I'm rooting for this from the first YIN's casting confirmation! For any type of skinship haha. But we have only one hands lock so far lol. I don't know how writer will pull of their first kiss tbh, since angst is coming. But I'm ok even for angsty kiss scene. Just give them some skinship already. The guy hasn't kissed for 900 years.:tears: 

Almost all vids I have wathched have been deleted from Youtube. This is one of those which have survived...so far. Love the song choice. It suits them.

• Like 12

fashion_zpspippypmb.jpg

cr: kdrama_fashion on IG

I really appreciate KGE's team for giving her affordable clothes that suits her character. Often we see in Kdramas the stylists would choose expensive clothes and fans like us can't afford to buy. I've seen pics of teens wearing Eun Tak's clothes too. *clap clap clap* :wub: 

Also the handbag that KS gave ET is affordable and practical for her age. Considering he is very rich...lol. He's pretty thrifty, isn't he?! :sweatingbullets:

PS: Came here a week ago and been reading all the posts. Y'all are very informative and funny. *thumbs up*

PS: Now that we know ET will meet the lady in red, I'm afraid danger is still around her. There is a fancam someone posted on IG (and I saw it a few pages back), they filmed in the middle of the road at the University. Crews blocked the middle of the road and you can see a truck coming into the filming site. That freaks me out a little cos we've seen fancam video/pics of ET received a call from KS at the same location. And another fancam I saw on IG showed her walk towards the street. The person who recorded the video said she is not allowed to record more of it. Hope it's nothing major. *cross fingers*

• Like 17