[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Sorry if this is posted before:

Ep 11 Text preview

드디어 써니(유인나)가 전생에 자신의 여동생임을 알게 된 도깨비(공유)는 다짜고짜 써니를 찾아가고, 써니는 그런 도깨비가 이상하기만 하다.

또 다시 날아온 은탁(김고은)의 명부에 도깨비는 은탁에게 검을 뽑지 않으면 죽게되는 신부의 운명에 대해 털어놓기로 결심 하는데...!

Interpretation from translation sites (not 100% accurate, sorry for many mistakes)

Finally, Goblin found out that Sunny is his younger sister in previous life and abruptly goes to visit (see) Sunny, as for Sunny (in such state) that Goblin is doing strangely.

Again, EunTak is flown (appeared) on the (death) list, Goblin decides to tell to EunTak about fate of the bride that she will die if she doesn't draw (pull) the sword...!

• Like 20

Ah, you underestimate the love between a warrior and his horse, often the thing that stands between him and death on the battlefield and starvation off the battlefield. 

1 hour ago, gf sherry said:

LOL... your comment adds wonder while we're waiting of Friday and Saturday broadcast... Well, if JET was a horse in her past life, how you would picture KS reaction on the idea of kissing a horse?

8 hours ago, Puppywookie said:

• Like 14

1 hour ago, rumasa79 said:

@SeGafanlady @violetpetal @EonnieHaru Gong Yoo in A man and a woman! I can't unsee that..and I won't! LoL..he's a pleasure to watch, really. *clears throat* 

And KGE is so so special, after CiTT, I watched all her movie, including A Muse, her debut role and she instantly killed it with multiple awards. Talk about raw talent.

And yasshhh, I'd make a party if they ever get casted in a movie, with hot skinship and burning kisses. That would be wild :wub:

Exactly why I said previously that even with a minimum and somewhat awkward skinship, these two manage to make me giddy and dreamy, I wonder if freedom is thrown at them, it would be a feast. GAH, now I really need that to happen.

Hahahaha I have the same thought with you. If only they get casted in a movie together with hot skinship and great scenario...

• Like 10

2 hours ago, rumasa79 said:

@SeGafanlady @violetpetal @EonnieHaru Gong Yoo in A man and a woman! I can't unsee that..and I won't! LoL..he's a pleasure to watch, really. *clears throat* 

And KGE is so so special, after CiTT, I watched all her movie, including A Muse, her debut role and she instantly killed it with multiple awards. Talk about raw talent.

And yasshhh, I'd make a party if they ever get casted in a movie, with hot skinship and burning kisses. That would be wild :wub:

Exactly why I said previously that even with a minimum and somewhat awkward skinship, these two manage to make me giddy and dreamy, I wonder if freedom is thrown at them, it would be a feast. GAH, now I really need that to happen.

Hahaha! I'm on board! I keep hoping for more skinship and kiss scenes from these two. I love them and I think they have great chemistry.

• Like 15

On 1/3/2017 at 8:42 PM, selenette said:

REVISED!

THE CHARACTERS AND THEIR HANJA NAME MEANINGS

"Your real name is Kim Sun? Which Hanja character do you use?" Kim Shin, to Sunny [Ep 9]

I've revised my previous post (removing wrong Hanja characters) and moved it here. Thank you, @kumoiwa for the insightful inputs, the screenshots, and @hushhh for reminding me that I placed my pictures wrongly in my old post.  Thank you to any of you who read the old post and this one.

KIM SHIN 

Chairman Yoo explained to Secretary Kim that Kim Shin's name means "to believe" [Ep 9]. This helps establishing the Hanja character for Kim Shin's given name, which is .

However, based on Eun-tak's Internet search results [Ep 5], the Hanja for shin in Kim Shin's name is  , not 信 . The screenshot of her search is in the spoiler box.

I believe this is an error on the production team's part, because  means "large masses", which contradicts Chairman Yoo's abovementioned statement. Out of 25 Hanja characters formally listed by the Korean government for the given name Shin, only  means "to believe". 

• (kim) = gold; iron (Note: generally, the character refers to any precious metal of the ancient Chinese era)
  • (shin) = to believe, belief, trust, to profess faith in (Note: the character consists of two characters, 人("man") and 言("speech") = a person's truthful words. The character implies that a man with this name is one who stays true to his promises)

TO [STRONGLY] BELIEVE;

A STAUNCH BELIEF;

STEADFASTNESS

WANG YEO

As this was one of two names that Kim Shin wrote down [Ep 8], there would be no mistaking the Hanja. Nevertheless, the "dawn" meaning is a new discovery for me.

• (wang) = king (Note:  the three horizontal strokes are Heaven, Man and Earth. The vertical stroke is the king. A king, therefore, has to connect Heaven, Man, and Earth. This implies that a king's failure in maintaining this sacred connection/carrying out the mandate to rule justly, will result in Heavenly punishment)
  •   (yeo) = dark; black; dawn; many people; commoners

THE DARK KING;

THE BLACK KING;

THE KING OF MANY PEOPLE;

THE KING [WHO CAME AT?] DAWN

KIM SUN

Written side by side with Wang Yeo's name [Ep 8], this name's Hanja characters were clearly shown in the drama.  

• (kim)= gold; iron
  •   (sun) = virtuous; good; kind; charitable;kindness  (Note: the character is formed by two other characters, 誩 ("say a lot") and  羊 ("goat" [= sacrifice, soft speech], implying that the person always speaks in kindness and is selfless/self-sacrificing)

GOLDEN VIRTUE;

GOLDEN KINDNESS;

TRUE/GOLDEN SELFLESSNESS

YOO DEOK HWA

His surname's Hanja character is written on his ancestors' gravestones [Ep 1]. The screenshot is in the spoiler box. His given name is that of Andy Lau 's [Ep 5]. 

• (yoo) = old Chinese surname "Liu"; willow; a constellation
  • (deok) = morality; ethics; virtue
  • (hwa) = illustrious; magnificent; flowery; to flourish; to prosper (Note: the character consists of  elements 艹 ( "grass") +  匚 ("basket", "sieve"), which referred to a container for herbs, plants, leaves for traditional medicines.  In ancient times, one travels to the countryside.  Naming a person in this character implies a hope for a distant yet encompassing journey.)

ILLUSTRIOUS VIRTUE;

MAGNIFICENT MORALITY;

TO [EMBARK ON A] JOURNEY ON [THE PATH OF/TO] VIRTUE

JI EUN TAK

Based on Eun-tak's death card [Ep 3], these are the Hanja characters for her name. Please click the spoiler box to see the screenshot.

•   (ji) = a Chinese surname "Chi", pool; pond; ditch
  • (eun) =favor; grace; love; kindness (Note: the character is formed from the character 心 ("heart") and phonetic 因 ("to follow"; "cause"), implying that the person is kind-hearted)
  •   (tak) = bright; beautiful; high and large

BEAUTIFUL GRACE;  

BEAUTIFUL KINDNESS;  

BEAUTIFUL AND GRACEFUL;  

KIND AND BEAUTIFUL

Revised: My observations on the Names (please only click if you're interested)

*removed pictures and spoilers

Thank you so much for the explanation. Thank god I could read some of these Hanja - Traditional Chinese. I guess naming of a child really affects the person's character, probably why the asians actually go to pro fortune teller to get a good name.

I can't get more awestruck with their planning. It's just too top notch. The scenes layout, the way they dress, the wordings on the clothes (not sure if it's true that it imply something in the show), the colors they use to represent the characters, even to their names! They must have really spent a lot of time deciding on how these details would let us go mindblown. Reminds me of literature.

Speaking of colors, it kinds of reminds me how some of us kept talking about who is on which side of the team. EunTak with red scarf, Red Halmoni. Goblin with blue flame, DeokHwa in blue clothings (as mentioned by some)

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, staygold said:

Seems more like those cherry blossom petals like in episode 1. King's cherry connection!! :heart:

Same here. I think it's cherry blossom. Oh does it mean that Sunny will remember somehow her past life?...Cos her eyes are not only full of tears, but pain as well. Finally some justice for YIN! @gamshe I think we'll finally see more of her superb dramatic acting.

And in tvN'z twitter post with this vide from google translate it's somethig "Finally their story willbe revealed". But it makes no sence since only viewers and Dieties know the secret behind Grim Reaper. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, aurelly said:

Looks like they are filming again in Olivia.

Cr to Owner

@aurelly thanks for sharing! fancam. From what I read in captions (translated) from various vids, Wookie has came late and they have been filming there with YIN, who came later again. And people are glad that the filming location is so convinient that they can stalk there both LDW and GY and see either of them, but they mention that it's already so late and freaking cold. But they will return tomorrow again. Poor people. And from various fan cams I've watched today, there are a lot of Chinese there.

And looks like they're still filming. Wookie has changed and returned. So they must be filming few scenes (btw he was wearing at first same clothes as from last night's filming).  The same as KGE was filming few scenes today at uni.

And from earlier filming with KGE. Looks like he was on duty. Maybe he was protecting her there? Cos in each episode he breaks another God's rules written for GRs.

Spoiler

• Like 14

Im still afraid why the preview red women praise for ET and Et face just like:expressionless:..Im too scared and still thinking what happen that time...

Now I cool down repeat again bromance:blush: scene just like catwalks scene  or humor scene:w00t:..to make I dont thinking why happen actually for next episode?:sweatingbullets:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, sparkskey said:

I was surfing the Korean sites looking for fan theories on Deokhwa and this site posted a theory that seemed plausible, translated below. Part of the fun of drama watching are fan discussions and reading theories, so please enjoy :)

Hide contents

The post basically theorizes that Deokhwa is the Seven Stars Deities. Background info on this deity: 

here and here

Translated by: sparkskey

Please do not re-upload / re-post without prior permission.

Thanks so much for posting this. I also suspect that DH is not who he appears to be and could potentially be the key to all characters finding happiness. I think he is good. 

• Like 6

@rrmski : So good to see you again chingu! It's been so long since we have spazz a drama together :wub: let's have fun here like the good old days :D

@hayuinblue Omo..chingu! I remember you too! *hugss* so nice to see you again! I am so happy to meet fellow Faitlings again through dramas we all love watching. Let's have fun here like the good old times :D

----

Previews are a troll. They only show 1% of everything in the actual episode. So i am not too worried..yet :P

• Like 6

Another article from Koreaboo about LDW's casting. Congratulations to Wookie for persisting and and putting in so much soul into making all the tv viewers fall in love with his portrayal of the Grim Reaper.

Insider reveals author of Goblin rejected Lee Dong Wook multiple times

BipLVNFCIAAC3pZ-2.jpg

Actor Lee Dong Wook recently revealed a secret regarding his casting for the role of the Grim Reaper in hit drama series Goblin.

tvN‘s latest drama Goblin has taken Korea and the world by storm, surpassing even Descendants of the Sun in popularity and causing tourists to flock to its filming sites. The main cast of Gong Yoo, Kim Go Eun, Lee Dong Wook, Yoo Inna, and Yook Sungjae have shown great chemistry with each other, but the perfect chemistry between Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook almost didn’t happen.

It has been publicly known that writer Kim Eun Sook chose Gong Yoo to star as Kim Shin from the very beginning. At the writer’s presentation, Kim Eun Sook said, “I’ve been rejected [by Gong Yoo] for 5 years now, so I was extra careful when I made the proposal [for him] to appear in my drama.”

Spoiler

97050_120658_4202.jpg

Lee Dong Wook’s casting, on the other hand, was not very public. Industry officials say that Kim Eun Sook did not reach even out to Lee Dong Wook to play the role of the Grim Reaper because the production team did not believe Lee Dong Wook matched the image of the character.

But somehow Lee Dong Wook was able to read the scenario of Goblin and expressed interest in playing the role. His agency even supported him, but was unable to change Kim Eun Sook’s mind.

Lee Dong Wook’s agency eventually told him to stop pursuing the role, but he refused to give up. With roles in A Bittersweet Life, Wild Romance, Blade Man, and Bubble Gum, he has proved more than once he was fit for a lead role.

After one final face-to-face meeting between Lee Dong Wook and Kim Eun Sook, Lee Dong Wook was finally able to convince her that he was fit for the role. Through consistent analysis of both his character and the script, Lee Dong Wook was able to show the viewers his version of the Grim Reaper.

Source: Star News

http://www.koreaboo.com/buzz/insider-reveals-author-goblin-rejected-lee-dong-wook-multiple-times/

• Like 16