[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2017 at 8:23 PM, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

@i.am.bugz.funny your post just triggered a thought for me. The picture you posted shows an incomplete painting of Habaek because the eyes weren't filled in. I feel that that scene has a significance. It symbolises how blind Habaek is to what is happening beyond his own kingdom. Once he steps into the human world, he realizes that there is more than meets the EYE. Hopefully, his eyes in the painting will be filled up once he returns since he would have gone through an EYE-opening experience.:lol:

cr. to @i.am.bugz.funny34950821743_34f2d9d001_o.jpg

@dramu51ch0c10ve Your wonderful interpretation of the painting and your words "eye-opening experience" forced me to analyse a little further. In the scene of the painting, Ha Baek's blindness is not only represented by the portrait but also by his posture. He is sitting with his eyes closed. habaek1-00113.jpg 

That's why the painter can not finish the portrait, but Ha Baek's attitude also reflects how he views the world and people around him. They are insignificant hence why should he open his eyes for them? Even when he hears that the High priest wants to see him, he only opens his eyes, the minute he hears that water has turned red. Only in that moment, he opens his eyes because this topic matters to him. It is about his future: to become the next king and future emperor as Water god. So in the introduction of our hero, Ha Baek appears as blind, self-centered, rude and arrogant. He shows no interest in the human world and he doesn't understand why this ritual of gathering the god stones in the human world is still existing. He perceives it as old-fashioned, meaningless and useless. Striking is that Ha Baek doesn't even want to look at the servant's portrait or doesn't even look at the coordinates, he just takes the items, puts these into his clothes. The High priest recommends him not to put these into his clothes but he doesn't listen to his advice. As conclusion, our Water god is not only blind but also deaf.

Interesting is that we have a similar introduction with our heroine. habaek1-00228.jpg 

While her patient talks to So Ah about his message and his mission, our psychiatrist keeps looking at her notes and doesn't even look at Bong Yeol for one minute. On the other hand, she keeps saying: "I see", "I see". The irony is that she doesn't even see the person in front of her. And the picture is also interesting because between herself and the patient, there is this mirror. The mirror functions as a wall between her and Bong Yeol but it also makes her see herself before the patient. Then she calls him "patient" which infuriates Bong Yeol. In my opinion, she is not different from Ha Baek. She is also blind because she treats Bong Yeol in a rude way. For her, he is just a patient hence he has no name. As you can see, So Ah doesn't show any real interest in Bong Yeol's story because for her, it is just a delusion. As conclusion, I would say that So Ah is just like our water god: blind and deaf. Funny is that when Ha Baek meets So Ah for the first time, he describes her as bothersome and rude, even later as arrogant!! All this reminds us of Ha Baek too. To sum up, both protagonists are similar. But behind the surface, both shows a caring side. 

But back to our topic, blindness and eye-opening experience. While I watched the first episode for the second time, it occured to me that a lot of dialogues or situations were referring to sight, vision and cognition. Let me give you examples:

- "Based on his appearance, he doesn't look delusional" (So Ah)

- "Even if my eyes are closed, I still know" (Ha Baek) As we can observe, both sentences contain lexical words about vision and sight. Since this scene happens later, the viewer notices that they are now starting to use their eyes and they are less blind than before. Due to their meeting, both have eye-opening experiences in the end.

- The example of getting lost due to the GPS is a good example of a certain blindness. So Ah refused to use her own eyes to go back to Seoul. She preferred relying on the dysfunctioning GPS than her own eyes and knowledge.

- The way Ha Baek tries to use his powers as God. Notice that when he tried to transform the stones into gold or to activate the fountain, he closed his eyes each time. I know, this sounds weird, but I do believe that closing his eyes is one of the reasons why he has no power. He is definitely blind in the human world. This thought came to my mind, when I noticed the scene, where Ha Baek was watching So Ah driving in the countryside. The camera was zooming on all the different buttons in the car and this was supposed to represent Ha Baek's vision. So in order to learn driving, he had to look at everything in the car. That's why he was able to drive the car later or even use a skateboard in the second episode, just by looking at it. habaek2-00264.jpg 

- As we can see, vision and sight played a huge part in the first two episodes. Only when So Ah saw Bong Yeol next to the water, she was finally able to listen to him and even see him for whom he was. Before he was just a patient, after that she could talk to him and even hug him. The wall (mirror in the first scene) had disappeared.

- Nonetheless the eye-opening experience starts in the first episode hence we can see some changes in the second. In the first episode, Ha Baek notices that So Ah is tired hence he asks her to stay in the car and take a rest. Later, when they have to run from the wild boar, Ha Baek looks at So Ah and sees her fear, therefore he takes her hand and runs with her. He even gives her comfort, when she is so scared in the trunk. He perceives her fear again, just later he drives the car because he knows that she is tired from that frightening experience. In the last 15 minutes of the episodes, the director showed us Ha Baek looking at So Ah and this is no coincidence. He isn't blind and deaf anymore. 

- But So Ah has a similar experience. She notices how Ha Baek grabs her hand, while they are running. She also looks at him. After the kiss, she keeps seeing him looking at her. So little by little she shows her true side: A person who can see, when someone needs help. The incident with the old man crossing the street was really telling. She didn't propose her help, she just walked at the same speed so that the man's pride wouldn't be hurt. She even saw more than the average people who offered their help for the old man. In my opinion, So Ah could be a better psychiatrist, if she didn't look down on her patients calling them delusional because in the end, it reveals that she is not really interested in the cause of the mental illness. She lacked understanding in the beginning, yet her true character has already been revealed: Her own anxieties and her caring nature.

@supergal99 @Chellsee @amisyka77 @nonski @athena22 @triplem@USAFarmgirl@Visually-wandering @nevill

13 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

The irony is that she doesn't even see the person in front of her. And the picture is also interesting because between herself and the patient, there is this mirror. The mirror functions as a wall between her and Bong Yeol but it also makes her see herself before the patient. Then she calls him "patient" which infuriates Bong Yeol. In my opinion, she is not different from Ha Baek. She is also blind because she treats Bong Yeol in a rude way. For her, he is just a patient hence he has no name. As you can see, So Ah doesn't show any real interest in Bong Yeol's story because for her, it is just a delusion.

i would even say narcissistic, as if she put the mirror so she would see herself always bf others. i dont really feel she think he is her delusion, just she doesnt care for others problem on a personal level, and just going through the motions.which for a psychiatrist is NOT professional. i think both HB & SA are uncaring being which need to learn to care. and probably will throughout the drama.

just love all your insight and with that the writer attention to symbolism and metaphors and the references to other shows, its like a whole new level, at least for me  

Hi and thanks in advance. I didn't read much about this drama purposely in order to avoid spoilers. But can someone clarify something for me?

Who is Ha Baek? I mean he is a water god. In the Kingdom of water. Then the King of the Water Kingdom is the emperor of the gods realm. Then who is the king who is waiting for the red water?

Sorry, but if I don't understand the hierarchy or who is the top dog in the manhwa it's going to do my head in editing the subs. Since they are using the same word for king. Is there a King, then some gods, then an Emperor who is NOT the King of the Water Kingdom?

Who's who again? Thanks.

BOTWG getting support from 24K band member Jinhong

투포케이 진홍 “어릴 때부터 신세경 열혈팬”(클릭스타워즈)

그룹 투포케이 진홍이 우산 속 로맨스를 그리고 싶은 스타로 배우 신세경을 꼽았다. 진홍은 어렸을 때부터 신세경의 열혈팬이었다고 전했다. /주간랭킹쇼 캡처

cr: http://news.tf.co.kr/stars/read/starwars/1696098.htm

24K band member Jinhong stated in "star wars star wars" program that he was a fan of SSK since she debuted in HKTTR and will sure to tune in for BOTWG

@ck10z hi, havnt myself read the manhwa so also not really sure

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Hi and thanks in advance. I didn't read much about this drama purposely in order to avoid spoilers. But can someone clarify something for me?

Who is Ha Baek? I mean he is a water god. In the Kingdom of water. Then the King of the Water Kingdom is the emperor of the gods realm. Then who is the king who is waiting for the red water?

Sorry, but if I don't understand the hierarchy or who is the top dog in the manhwa it's going to do my head in editing the subs. Since they are using the same word for king. Is there a King, then some gods, then an Emperor who is NOT the King of the Water Kingdom?

Who's who again? Thanks.

I think Haebek wants to be the God of all the gods, like the King of all the gods or something, so he has to go to earth and get three stones or something like that. I also need to read up on this some more though.

8 hours ago, aimerance said:

If I'm not wrong, in the manhwa the village have to sacrifice a bride to the water god and Soah was sent to the water world as a sacrifice to be the bride of Ha Baek. 

yes, but I think a rich girl was really supposed to be the sacrifice and Soah is offered instead, but then the girl who was supposed to be sacrificed becomes jealous because Habeak saves Soah and loves her, so the rich girl wants to take it back from Soah.

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Who's who again? Thanks.

I think Emperor = King. These 2 words are usually used interchangeably.

However, in the drama, Emperor is a level superior than a king.

The king who is waiting for the red tide is Habaek's father ie King of Water Country. He is also the Emperor of the Gods' Realms consisting of 3 Countries ( Water, Earth, Sky) and also human realm.

Habaek will be the next in line for the Water Country's king position. That is his birth right. He will still be the king even if he has done nothing ( like the priest said).

However, in order to be the EMPEROR, he has to complete the quest for the 3 gods' stones. It is like a proof that he is worth and capable to bear the responsibilities and burdens of an Emperor to both Realms of God and human.

And of course, Habaek and his father are all gods. 

This is what i understand. Feel free to correct me if i am wrong. 

7 hours ago, ilwoo_aein said:

[Oh!쎈 그림일기] 연하남→수영남→물의 神...남주혁의 변신은 ing

>> [OSEN Picture Diary] Young man --> Swimmer --> Water God..Nam Joo Hyuk's transformation

source: http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003571811&lfrom=twitter

i wonder what his zodiac sign is?

7 hours ago, maddymappo said:

yes, but I think a rich girl was really supposed to be the sacrifice and Soah is offered instead, but then the girl who was supposed to be sacrificed becomes jealous because Habeak saves Soah and loves her, so the rich girl wants to take it back from Soah.

so could the 'water' image we see actually belong to the real "sacrifice"? 

7 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

I think Emperor = King. These 2 words are usually used interchangeably.

However, in the drama, Emperor is a level superior than a king.

it is very confusing we have gods king and an emperor? 

sorry @Chellsee i really tried to combine them didnt work

22 minutes ago, nevill said:

i wonder what his zodiac sign is?

so could the 'water' image we see actually belong to the real "sacrifice"? 

I don't know if they are going to follow that part of the manhwa. We just see that her jump has something to do with her father.

17 minutes ago, nevill said:

it is very confusing we have gods king and an emperor? 

sorry @Chellsee i really tried to combine them didnt work

I think the hierachy is no different from human.

Like God is one of the species of living beings. Others will be human, animals and plants.

So, in the world of  gods, there are also classes of gods. There are royals, officers and commoners. Habaek is from  royal class. Just like a prince in human world. He is a prince god because his father is the king. Since the realms consists of 3 countries, there should be one main ruler who rules the entire god kingdom unitedly as the EMPEROR. So the emperor is the King of the Kings. Usually the emperor would be the king who has the most power.

10 hours ago, supergal99 said:

Writer nim on the drama:

It's a new creation from the original work. The original portrays a very beauitful waterworld and it's difficult to bring this aspect out in the drama. In a way we are protecting the original work as the drama plot is different from the original and we seek your understanding. The main difference is :in the original plot SA enters the waterworld while here it is Habaek entering the Humanworld.

so now I know that they did the opposite thing from the manhwa ...instead of So Ah adjusting to Water Kingdom it will be Habaek adjusting to human world...never thought of that ...what a smart idea to add up to this change...  I know that following the manhwa will be expensive and I think TVN doesn't want to take the risk so as a manhwa fan I understand and I forgive them for this spinoff... since everything has changed I really don't have the idea as to what will happen next...which is a good thing for me...It makes me look forward to upcoming episodes  and I think this is one of the reason too why they didn't follow the manhwa story so that viewers will be left curious... I hope my fellow BOTWG manhwa fans will read writer-nim explanation too and finally accept this change tho' I still understand why they are mad...

2 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

Who's who again? Thanks.

Habaek is not yet a King but he will be in the future after he collected the stones... As for who is the reigning King for the moment...that I don't know and can't answer ... because this spin off left me clueless and confuse at the same time ... in the manhwa there's an emperor, he is the brother of Habaek's father and he's the one causing ruckus to the main leads... plus Habaek's parents there are alive... as for this drama haha  all I can do is just wait for the next episode...

1 hour ago, sandjh said:

new here. does anyone know the song during the beginning of ep 2/kiss scene? thanks!

15 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I don't know if they are going to follow that part of the manhwa. We just see that her jump has something to do with her father.

We haven't been given any clue about her father yet. All i can gather is he is sort of a philantrophic or a charity giver. We only had a glimpse of little SoAh coming from school to a home full of kids who could be orphans her father took care of (?) and she was not so happy about it. I suspect the debt she is forced to pay now is also has something to do with her father and his nature of work/person. That's why SoAh is like someone who is uncaring and always behave like she doesn't give a damn about other people. She had bad experience of the consequence of being too caring/nice to people i guess but somehow, she cannot entirely get away from it because she actually IS a caring, kind and sensitive girl. Habaek seems to know/sense this and he did point it out to her ( her helping the grandpa) but she denied it.

58 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

i just thought that the 'water image' in the water kingdom doesnt look very much like SA so i thought that maybe it is meant to look like the real 'sacrifice', if they will incorporate that part. 

59 minutes ago, amisyka77 said:

I think the hierachy is no different from human.

i think this is the problem with all the god thing, since god is supposed to be the one above everyone. but here it is reversed 

emperor king god

Thank you. Its fine then will make the king a king until I see who's the Emperor. You guys know that viki has a license now right? We are not allowed to say which country. If you can watch it that means it's in yours. Not that the subs are translated into other languages yet. Since the episodes have just been recently licensed so it's just been subbed now being edited. I ended up watching ep 1 four times now accidentally because of it.

And hierarchy I meant when they referred to a person. I wasn't sure if the King was also the Emperor. Hard to figure out who they were referring to when talking. For translation purposes.

Is it me or is the servant speaking with a modern accent? Feels jarring next to him. Anyway I am happy to see the 2nd lead guy. Since I really haven't read anything hope he is just a 2nd lead and not evil. Have had a spate of dramas where there was no 2nd lead shipping.

Archived