[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

tvN Presents: Bride of the Water God 2017

photo859355.jpg

Posters~

88oA2peX1OCy636338223129932922.jpg7CB2rsoq7Ldd636338222786794746.png

Profile~
Drama: Bride of the Water God 2017 (working & literal title)
Revised romanization: Habaekui Shinboo 2017
Hangul: 하백의 신부 2017
Director: Kim Byung-Soo
Writer: Yoon Mi-Kyung (original comic), Jung Yoon-Jung
Network: tvN
Episodes: 16
Release Date: July 3, 2017 --
Runtime: Mondays & Tuesdays 22:50
Language: Korean

Plot~
A romance takes place between Water God Ha Baek (Nam Joo-Hyuk) and Psychiatrist So-A (Shin Se-Kyung).

Notes~
"Bride of the Water God 2017" takes over the tvN Mondays & Tuesdays 23:00 time slot previously occupied by "Circle.”
Based on webcomic "Habaekui Shinboo" by Yoon Mi-Kyung (published from May 7, 2012 to December 11, 2014 via cartoon.media.naver.net).
First script reading took place March 16, 2017 at CJ E&M Center in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea.

Cast~

image_4897072381497427398032.jpg?type=w1

Sin Se-kyeong (신세경)
So-ah (소아)

image_6261709921497427398035.jpg?type=w1

Nam Joo-hyuk (남주혁)
Ha-baek (하백)

image_6510310071497427398037.jpg?type=w1

Gong Myung (공명)
Bi-ryeom (비렴)

image_9056218611497427398035.jpg?type=w1

Krystal (크리스탈)
Moo-ra (무라)

image_7305113621497427398039.jpg?type=w1

Lim Ju-hwan (임주환)
Hoo-ye (후예)

image_3233534611497427398031.jpg?type=w1

Cameos~
Kang Ha-Neul - (cameo)
Yang Dong-Geun - (cameo)

Official Website

Source 1 

Source 2

First Script Reading Photos~

bloc.gifphoto851507.jpg

photo854860.jpgphoto854863.jpg

Teasers~

Behind the Scenes Videos~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SOOMPI CODE OF CONDUCT

SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.

02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.

03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.

04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 

05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nam Joo-hyuk offered lead in tvN’s Bride of the Water God

by javabeans | January 2, 2017 | 21 Comments

namjoohyuk_30.jpg

This would be quite the leap for Nam Joo-hyuk: He has been offered the lead in a high-profile tvN drama project called Bride of the Water God 2017, based on a manhwa of the same name (sans the 2017). He has not been confirmed, as initial reports misstated, but cable station tvN did state that he has been offered the role of the lead, water god Ha-baek.

The original story is set in a fantasy world where a water god is offered young women sacrifices by the inhabitants of a village that has been plagued by many years of drought. One sacrifice becomes his bride, and complications ensue. The drama is calling itself a spinoff version rather than a direct remake; it plans to keep the characters of the original while reworking the setting to a modern one, set in Seoul.

I might normally be wary of altering the story that much, but not with this production team, whose credits read like a list of personal favorites: Writing is Jung Yoon-jung of the acclaimed Misaeng and whimsical fantasy-romance Arang and the Magistrate, while directing is PD Kim Byung-soo, whose style I loved in thoughtful modern relationship drama Bubblegum, swashbuckler Three Musketeers, cerebral time-traveler Nine, and time-traveling romance Queen Inhyun’s Man.

Nam Joo-hyuk is doing wonderfully at the moment in MBC’s campus coming-of-age romance Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju, and I like him more in that show than I’ve ever liked him before—he’s exuberant, funny, and adorably devoted. Still, I’m pretty surprised to hear him as a potential lead for this project, because he’s still very young—both in age (nearly 23) and experience, debuting as a model in 2013 and as an actor with 2014’s Surplus Princess, where he was cute but very green. He was fine as a puppy-doggish sidekick in Cheese in the Trap, but his weakest moment was in last year’s Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, where I thought he just couldn’t pull off the emotion or seriousness of the role. I find him better playing boyish, sweet characters so I’m not sure what to expect if he ends up headlining this drama. I can imagine fans of the manhwa will have a lot of thoughts about this!

Bride of the Water God will air on tvN, though it has not yet been scheduled.

watergod_1.jpg

Nam Joo-hyuk, tvN 'Hana Baek's Bride' confirmed by the male main character

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/new_yk/html/read.php?newsid=201701031127841114&ext=na

[Solo] Nam Joo-hyuk, tvN 'Hana Baek's Bride' confirmed by the male main character

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=117&aid=0002859949&gid=999339&cid=1053189

“Incomplete Life” Writer Has Started Writing tvN’s Adaptation Of “Bride Of The Water God”

bride of the water god tvn

On June 28, tvN revealed that drama spinoff for Korean manhwa “Bride of the Water God” will be entering productions toward the end of this year. Jung Yoon Jung, the writer of the hit drama “Incomplete Life,” will be penning this adaptation, which will be bringing the characters and the classic fantasy element of the original work to modern-day Seoul.

CEO Kim Mi Na of the production company working with “Bride of the Water God” said, “Currently, Jung Yoon Jung has written four episodes, and we will soon be making decisions on the director and supporting cast. In order to maximize the quality of the drama, we will be pre-producing the drama.”

The manhwa “Bride of the Water God” is a fantasy romance serial that tells the story of the water god Ha Baek and a human, which was published for 10 years in the magazine Wink. This manhwa is also the first Korean romance manhwa to be published as a book in nine countries around the world, including Russia and Hungary.

Misaeng writer returns with new fantasy manhwa adaptation

by girlfriday | March 11, 2015 | 164 Comments

BrideWaterGod1.jpg

I’m sure it’s no surprise that drama writer Jung Yoon-jung (Misaeng, Monstar, Arang and the Magistrate) is a hot commodity these days; Jung has announced that her next project will be another manhwa adaptation, this time a fantasy historical drama. While that sounds like a huge departure from her last hit adaptation Misaeng, she’s also the writer who filled the quirky supernatural world of Arang and the Magistrate with colorful gods, reapers, ghosts, and humans, and created a full mythology that was engaging, suspenseful, and just plain fun.

The new project is an adaptation of the manhwa series Habaek’s Bride, better known in English as Bride of the Water God. (Habaek is the name of the god, and he’s technically a river god, but that’s the title you’ll find the translations of the comic books in.) The original manhwa by Yoon Mi-kyung was published in Wink magazine in 24 volumes over the last 8 years.

The story is about a young woman who comes from a poor family, and gets paid to take the place of the girl who’s supposed to be sacrificed to the water god from their village that year. But instead of taking her as a sacrifice, the water god falls in love with her and takes her as his bride. He’s been cursed by his first love to transform into a child by day and a man by night, and so even his bride doesn’t realize that both are the same man.

It’ll be a fantasy historical romance drama about the epic love between a god and a human, and will traverse the earthly and god realms much like Arang and the Magistrate did. I really loved how whimsical that drama was, and there have been very few supernatural shows that were so solidly written, so I’m excited to see that the writer is returning to that genre. Listen, I know it’s early to start casting, but Yoo Seung-ho is back from army duty now, and he made such a good god in Arang. Who better to play a man and a boy than a man-boy? You know you want to…

Bride of the Water God is in early development, with no broadcaster attached yet.

BrideWaterGod2.jpg

BrideWaterGod3.jpg

So, NJH is confirmed? Yes I am so excited for this drama. I love him so much in WLKBJ and scarlet heart. And also a huge fan of Manhwa, writer and director. 

But still I do have doubts about setting it in modern day of Seoul with gods. I can't even imagined that. I just wish to be a sageuk drama since NJH is pretty good in SH. But I'll wait and see for this, I trust the writer.

For leading lady, My choices are

1. Kim Jiwon 

2. Park Boyoung

3. Park Sodam.

I just can't think of any other. I hope they can cast a talented and young actress. I can't wait for it.

Do you guys know when this drama will air?

I saw thoses pictures on Tumblr few weeks ago :

tumblr_oiskacTK081tm6zpko1_400.jpgtumblr_oiskacTK081tm6zpko2_400.jpg

Cr : @Woobinizm (Tumblr)

And I was kinda hoping to have them in the drama bacause they fit perfectly. But honestly I knew it was impossible T_T
Still hoping for Kim Ji Won ♥

ahhhh yes NJH <3 I've been hoping he would accept another role, it's so awesome to see him getting more main parts, I've watched every drama he's been in since School 2015 and he's really improved a lot.

I've never read this Manhwa though is it worth reading beforehand? :) 

I would love to see Park So Dam too actually that would be super cute, she's one of my recent favourite actresses!

dayum!  is this true? When I saw the title ...I log in right away... I've been waiting for a tv station to do this manhwa for ages now... I really love this...the best manhwa I've ever read and if ever Joo Hyuk will be the main lead ...It will be a double treat for me ...and if her leading lady will be one of the actress I like then it will be a triple treat for me... just hope they will do justice in doing this as live action... 'cause the story is so precious and beautiful... Tvn I trust you pls. let this be one of the greatest drama ever... I'll be following this thread from now on... Omo bride of the water God is coming... I love Habaek and Soah... they're drawn beautifully and also their love story...

June is so far away... huhu 6iur.gif

P.S : TVN pls. choose an actress not an idol as a female lead 'cause I'm kind of tired seeing idols ruined a good drama...

Guest Tinkiebell

Hello,

Nam Joo Hyuk isn't confirmed yet. He's offered the role but hasn't accepted yet.

Latest news as per Jan 5th:

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201701051616078828750_2

As per the rule, no new drama thread shall be created until either a. drama's press conference / prayer ceremony is held, or b. official homepage / poster for the drama is available, or c. there is at least 1 confirmed cast, and since there's not one confirmed cast yet for this upcoming drama, this thread will unfortunately have to be locked again for now.  

@Chi Le, please contact me when at least one cast is confirmed, I'll reopen the thread then. Thank you.

• Guest locked this topic
  • kaiskloset unlocked this topic

@Chi Le BOTWG now with one confirmed lead.

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/02/krystal-cast-as-lead-in-bride-of-water.html

Krystal cast as lead in 'Bride of the Water God'

http://www.kpopmap.com/krystal-returning-screen-new-drama-bride-water-god/

Krystal will be making her first foot back as an actress since her last drama 3 years ago.

It’s been revealed that f(x)’s visual maknae, Krystal, will be returning to the drama screens as Hera in the upcoming tvN drama “Bride of the Water God”. Hera (Mura) is the owner of the second divine stone, who has been living among the people for hundreds of years – usually as an actress. She maintains a life of luxury as she knows of her God identity. Due to her one sided crush on Habaek, she grows to hate the girl named Soah.

Krystal made her acting debut in 2009 on “High Kick!”, followed by “Heirs” in 2013, and her first main character roll in “My Lovely Girl” in 2014. She made a brief cameo on the hit drama “The Legend of the Blue Sea” in 2016, but will be returning to a full character in 2017.

The main male and female role are currently rumored to be Nam JuHyeok and Shin SeKyung. The drama is already gaining attention for its impressive cast list, as well as its writer. Writer Jung YoonJung is famous for her work for “Misaeng”, “Nine”, “Three Musketeers” and more.

The first filming is set to begin in the beginning of March with the first episode airing sometime during the last few weeks of the month.

Krystal and Gong Myung also join 'Bride of the Water God'

http://kkul-jaem.blogspot.com/2017/02/krystal-and-gong-myung-also-join-bride.html

Shin Se Kyung Offered Lead Role in Korean Drama Bride of the Water God 2017

Posted on February 21, 2017
(kdramakisses)by Kay

Bride of the Water God 2017 Korean Drama - Shin Se Kyung

Shin Se Kyung (Six Flying Dragons) has now been offered a lead role in the upcoming tvN drama Bride of the Water God 2017. An offer originally went out to Moon Chae Won, but she ultimately turned it down. So now Shin Se Kyung is up to play a neuropsychiatrist running her own office that is struggling to pay off the massive debt incurred by her father and school. Nam Joo Hyuk (Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo) is still considering an offer to play the Water God.

Several other new offers have also recently went out. They include Krystal (She’s So Lovable) as a goddess who has feelings for the Water God, Gong Myung (Drinking Solo) as a wind god who has feelings for Krystal’s character, and Yang Se Jong (Saimdang Light’s Diary) as another water god who is the CEO of a resort and will be the main romantic rival of the Water God.

to read more:

https://kdramakisses.com/2017/02/21/shin-se-kyung-offered-lead-role-in-korean-drama-bride-of-the-water-god-2017/

On 2/20/2017 at 8:33 PM, kaiskloset said:

BOTWG now with one confirmed lead.

I'm so happy someone confirmed. I just found this thread last night, I would have been very disappointed if it was locked  :crazy:

@Chi Lejcdragon_hi.gif Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm excited about this drama. I hope Nam Jo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung hurry up and confirm this one. 

I'm glad this thread is open again... 'cause I have so many things to say after my early post here... I don't have problem with the casting even though I see lots of people disliking the not confirm main leads NJH & also SSK... I'm kinda glad Chae Won turned down the offer (sorry MCW fans) 'cause I don't see her as Soah... Se Kyung is okay but If ever I'd like her to be Nakbin (Habaek's first love) and Kim Ji Won to be Soah because she resembles the character so much... kinda sad that she's not that popular in S.Korea...

the only thing that disappoints me is the fact that they change the joseon era settings to modern settings... I've been a fan of this manhwa for a long time now and the joseon era settings are the main reason why I fell inlove with BOTWG... I don't want to judge this drama too early but I kinda understand most netizens feelings for the live action... I don't know if the reason why they change this to modern version is because the old version will cost so much from the costume to the filming place and even the hair style... but still I'm kinda yearning to see them in hanbok...and I wonder if they will remove the child habaek in the story as part of the change too... oh well let's just see if turns out to be good or not... I'll still wait for this... I'll give this a try and give them a chance...

I am beyond excited for this drama! At first I thought it would just be similar to Goblin but I have high hopes for this because of the director and writer. I think Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung will make such a beautiful couple.

And even though SSK is the oldest among the leads, she looks young for her age and I prefer her over Moon Chae Won because if it was MCW, I don't think she can pair up well with NJH visually. 

Archived