[Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널

larus

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New time-travel thriller 'Tunnel' off to a good start

By Park Jin-hai

"Tunnel," new crime thriller on cable channel OCN, got off to a good start, defying previous concerns of another poorly made time travel story.

For the weekend drama, telling the story of a homicide defective Park Kwang-ho of 1980's, played by Choi Jin-hyuk, who time-travels to the present during the chase after a serial killer suspect, viewers expressed their concerns over the similarities with the 2015 crime drama "Signal," which told the story of a detective duo of the past and the present connected through the medium of walkie-talkie to solve cold cases.

However, fatigued viewers who have seen too many time-slip dramas in recent years and repeated failure of such dramas, including "Tomorrow With You" and "Saimdang: Memoir Of Colors," fanned the concern after the first episodes of "Tunnel" hit airwaves.

Partly thanks to the halo effect of previously aired hit thriller "Voice," which has driven viewers into extreme tension with its spine-chilling crime scenes for the past two months, the drama started out with 2.8 percent viewership rating Saturday, the channel's record viewership for a debut episode.

The ratings for the second episode, aired on Sunday, inched up to 3.1 percent.

The first episode of "Tunnel," featuring Choi as a passionate and warm-hearted detective who does an old-styled door-to-door investigation to catch a serial killer, featured scenes where the viewer can easily draw some similarities with drama "Signal" or 2003 movie "Memories of Murder."

During the chase of a serial killer suspect, Choi gets hit on his head by a stone and loses consciousness inside a tunnel.

Compared with the recent dramas, which grabs viewers' attention early on with speedy story development, the first episode of "Tunnel" was rather slow-paced.

But, the second episode, which depicts Choi waking up to find out that he has time-traveled 30 years to the present and encountering the fifth victim's body killed by the serial killer he was chasing after in the past, was full of various interesting clues and characters.

Choi meets his partner Kim Sun-jae, played by actor Yoon Hyun-min, a modern-day detective who is smart but lacking in social skills, and Shin Jae-yi, played by actress Lee You-young, a U.K.-educated criminal psychology professor who had a lonely childhood as an adoptee.

If the OCN made names with "Voice" and its shocking visuals, its latest crime thriller showed an updated version of the genre.

Regarding its difference from other criminal dramas, director Shin Yong-hwi said it focuses more on the human side. "The story deals with a serial murder case, but we tried to infuse a sense of humanism in the story as opposed to the grotesque side of a crime show," he said. "Our show is more of a human drama in which people, each with their personal deficiencies, complement each other."

The drama's time-slip element, which director said he used because "it fits the drama's story, not just following the current trend," seems to greatly balance the story as well. It serves as a necessary tool to reason the two opposing characters, raising the expectation of what the duo and the psychology professor can do, but not complicating the whole plot.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2017/03/688_226425.html

After Epi 1 & 2, I'd say this TUNNEL is definitely worth watching. CJH and the rest of the casts are perfectly chosen. I was a bit worried hearing of similarities to SIGNAL but now I'm able to say, both are totally different and has its own merit.

Congrats to the higher ratings for Ep1 & 2.

I'm just about to watch episode 1 and 2  and. I'll share my thoughts after wards.  Ha ha. I haven't back read the pages  yet  no spoilers ( will check once done).

So happy @bebebisous33 is on the thread, Best when it comes to explaining episodes and story it self. I don't have to worry and grasps what's going on or how the story is unfolding.  :)

On 3/26/2017 at 5:53 AM, larus said:

First, I want to say that I am grad that Tunnel is doing really good in ratings. I agree that they should stop doing Hwaseong serial murders all over again. That was the reason everyone said that it gave them a deja vu feeling. Signal was a good drama but when it became an etalon? I did not think of Signal while watching this drama. It will be a different story. Both dramas had the same background feel, were inspired by the same case, but they have their own cases and their own resolution of the case. I think the first episode was good. I liked how they showed the work of Kwang Ho as a detective in the 80`s. Like @lumibear said, I liked how they showed the protagonist two sides, as a dedicated detective, a little agressive (it was the 80`s style?:)), a tough guy but in the same time a caring human being. He has a warm heart.  :wink:

Loved the scene where he grabbed her hannd by mistake

Yes, you have a warm heart. :D

I liked how they showed the relationship between Kwang Ho and his wife. I am glad that they did not make her a victim in this case. It is how I imagine it could be. She was left behind unexpectedly. It was tragic for her that her husband disappear like that from her life. I am sure he will find out some sad news about her life but they did not make a more personal reason for Kwang Ho to catch the serial killer. Of course that I want for him to come back in his time. That will be a happy ending for them. I root for that and I am optimistic. Just keep your words, Park Kwang Ho!!

And how adorable young Sun Jae was! I looking foward for Kwang Ho and older Sun jae to team up to catch the serial murder together. Give them a good closure to both of them.

Reveal hidden contents

:D Nice conection ...for a future bromance. :wink:

This show has potential. Let see how it will do in the next episodes.

You are right.  Even though both Signal & Tunnel carried on with Hwaseong serial case, they showed a different point of view.   However I felt there was some continuity (or some overlapping)  between Signal and Tunnel EP1&2, but I didn’t think it was a bad thing.  After all Signal was a big hit in Korea.  Normally this kind of genre  draws limited OCN viewers but this drama jumped over to the general population.  I know  there had been clamoring for a Signal sequel, but wisely the writer didn’t venture into it.  The odds of making successful sequel project  isn’t that good.   So I speculated that a production team/a producer saw an opportunity to tap into Signal’s golden egg and came out with Tunnel.  When Tunnel came out first with the Hwaseong serial case and time slip concept, everybody pointed out  Signal.

Then the production team came out with the introduction Tunnel which had the first lines ‘Song Kang Ho [Memories of Murder] and  Jo Jin Woong[Signal], what if they are going to time –slip in 2017?’   This sounds like the production team was giving a respectable nod to Signal and the same time attracting Signal’s followers.   Then there was this casting of Lee Shi A who was the first girlfriend for the Jo Jin Woong’s character in Signal.  I know some might think her appearance is strange in Tunnel but I like the idea.   I couldn’t help feeling about her sad ending in Signal so I have a certain empathy for her even before the drama started and wish to see her with a happy ending in Tunnel.   Also when YHM appeared on Living Alone, we saw him watching Signal while he practiced with the script.  It seems the production team wanted  Tunnel tagging onto Signal so that it could generate buzz for the drama.  I noticed the first two days Tunnel stayed #1 on the internet search.  It could be the fame of Signal so people were very curious about Tunnel. 

In EP1&2 there are many feel good scenes. I don’t know why but I too liked ‘He has a warm heart’.  It could be that CJH was able to show the meaning of a warm heart for the Kwang Ho character.   I love the picture of the baby Sun Jae & KH, with ‘Sun Jae, you are so big now.’  whahaha   I love their expression. :rolleyes::D

I love time slip  hahaha

Ams22JM.png6kQX3ES.jpg

I'm so glad "Tunnel" is airing, I was waiting for another drama with the same feel as Signal (ohhhhh the void...... haha). Voice started off great, but my interest for the drama fell short when they spent too much time on showcasing how gruesome the villains were instead of working on the teams group synergy.

20 hours ago, andy78 said:

If the OCN made names with "Voice" and its shocking visuals, its latest crime thriller showed an updated version of the genre.

Regarding its difference from other criminal dramas, director Shin Yong-hwi said it focuses more on the human side. "The story deals with a serial murder case, but we tried to infuse a sense of humanism in the story as opposed to the grotesque side of a crime show," he said. "Our show is more of a human drama in which people, each with their personal deficiencies, complement each other."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2017/03/688_226425.html

Thanks for the info @andy78 

Looks like I'm going to really enjoy Tunnel :)

Tunnel: Episode 1

by TeriYaki | March 27, 2017 | 29 Comments

tumblr_on792nJYr61sdd1ivo8_r4_1280.jpg
OCN’s newest thriller focuses on an old school detective from 1985, before the advent of modern technology. Even though cases took more time to solve in those days, Detective Park Kwang-ho proves to have a quick and modern mind. He struggles to overcome preconceived ideas about criminals, certain that he and his colleagues are faced with something that they’ve never encountered, and this drama slowly turns up the intensity as it introduces an unnerving case.

WATCH ONLINE: Tunnel, starring Choi Jin Hyuk, Yoon Hyun Min, and Lee Yoo Young

by CoCo Kdrama on Mon, Mar 27, 2017

4e1613c5-6abf-4834-9d11-590ec05d5d35.jpg

If you love thrillers like Signal and Voice, then detective drama Tunnel, starring Choi Jin Hyuk (Emergency CoupleHeirs), Yoon Hyun Min (Witch's Romance, Heartless City) and Lee Yoo Young, is the prefect new drama for you! In this murder mystery that spans across the decades, when a cop chases a criminal into a tunnel, he comes out on the other end thirty years into the future, where the only familiar face is the killer himself.

Synopsis

The year is 1986. Detective Park Kwang Ho (Choi Jin Hyuk from Pride and Prejudice, Heirs) is an enthusiastic and old fashioned detective. He will do anything to get the mark. Once, he even went so far as to hang out with a suspect's accomplice for a month just to get a lead. He will do anything to enforce the law. He thinks with his fists, and he doesn't have time for procedure. One night, the detective is chasing a killer. The killer enters a tunnel. The detective follows. When he emerges from the other side, the killer is gone. On this end of the tunnel, the year is 2017. Now thirty years into the future, the killings have started again. The detective is now considered an old-fashioned kook with crazy theories and dated methodologies of law enforcement. He also cannot get used to the new world. So, for the firs time in his career, he is going to need help catching a criminal. 

More https://www.dramafever.com/news/watch-online-tunnel-starring-choi-jin-hyuk-yoon-hyun-min-and-lee-yoo-young/

Hi :)

So far enjoying Tunnel. I guess most of the storyline will take place in the present time line, thus they spent most of episode in the 1986 time line setting up the characters.

I wonder under what conditions PGH would be able to return back through the tunnel? It was quite heartbreaking to see PGH and his wife "together" in the tunnel. Was she actually able to hear him or was that just her imagination? :huh:

Regarding the 5th body. The woman died in 1986 right, but the body was only discovered in 2016?

I saw on one of the drama sites that 'N' is supposed to be PGH born in 1988 ( the 2016 version). I wonder what the connection between the two PGHs is? Is it a mere coincidence? I find it strange though, that they share the same name and that the younger PGH was born after the older PGH's disappearance. Almost feels like his parents named him after the older PGH.

Is it just me, or is PGH adapting to 2016 a bit too well :lol: But I guess he is too upset with fact that he won't see his wife and is worried about her to actually understand the full gravity of the situation. As far as he is concerned he just saw his wife and he should be able to get back to her.

I am also thinking that Shin Jae-Yi is PGH's daughter mostly because they share the same surname. Also why do I get the feeling that Kim Sun Jae and Shin Jae-Yi seem to know each other?!B)

Overall the story seems good and the writer has a sense of humour and it definitely is fun watching the past, present, older and younger characters interact! 

Not sure if this has been shared already...just a BTS of 2016 PGH and  1986 PGH "meeting" for the first time.

I heard Park Kwang Ho talking about his tight pants. But when DC posted this picture, I didn’t know why it was supposed to be funny.  Then I read here a comment  about  86’s baggy pants..  hehe

xCRYZLS.png

or9gmZc.gif

cr to DC

On 3/28/2017 at 0:04 PM, lexicon said:

Hi :)

So far enjoying Tunnel. I guess most of the storyline will take place in the present time line, thus they spent most of episode in the 1986 time line setting up the characters.

I wonder under what conditions PGH would be able to return back through the tunnel? It was quite heartbreaking to see PGH and his wife "together" in the tunnel. Was she actually able to hear him or was that just her imagination? :huh:

Regarding the 5th body. The woman died in 1986 right, but the body was only discovered in 2016?

I saw on one of the drama sites that 'N' is supposed to be PGH born in 1988 ( the 2016 version). I wonder what the connection between the two PGHs is? Is it a mere coincidence? I find it strange though, that they share the same name and that the younger PGH was born after the older PGH's disappearance. Almost feels like his parents named him after the older PGH.

Is it just me, or is PGH adapting to 2016 a bit too well :lol: But I guess he is too upset with fact that he won't see his wife and is worried about her to actually understand the full gravity of the situation. As far as he is concerned he just saw his wife and he should be able to get back to her.

I am also thinking that Shin Jae-Yi is PGH's daughter mostly because they share the same surname. Also why do I get the feeling that Kim Sun Jae and Shin Jae-Yi seem to know each other?!B)

Overall the story seems good and the writer has a sense of humour and it definitely is fun watching the past, present, older and younger characters interact! 

Not sure if this has been shared already...just a BTS of 2016 PGH and  1986 PGH "meeting" for the first time.

Ohh  There is some confusion about Shin Jae Yi.  Yes in Korea a wife keeps her family surname after she marries  but for children they get their last name from the father’s side regardless whether a child is a boy or a girl. The only time a kid gets the mother’s surname is when a kid is born out of wedlock and the father doesn’t want the kid.   It means Shin Jae Yi might not be PKH’s daughter.  But somewhere I thought I read that Shin Jae Yi was adopted?   If that’s  true then Shin Jae Yi got her last name from her adopted family.  If not, well then  she isn’t PKH’s daughter.  So the guessing game continues??  

I thought too. It was a very touching scene  of them in the tunnel.  At first I thought they both would call out to each other but whatever the reason PDnim let PKH shout out her name and his wife, Shin Yeon Sook, only murmur.    Still I liked its effect.  I thought PDnim did a great job creating  that scene. Actually PDnim gave us a lot of wonderful, sweet scenes about PKH and his wife.   I hope she heard his voice so that she will not think he is dead and wait for him. 

This is funny IG from a Tunnel fan.  She watches Tunnel while vacationing in Milan.:D

"Yeong Sook-a !!!!!!  Yeong Sook-a !!!!!!

In Milan, Korean who fell for Tunnel "

Tunnel 'Choi Jin-hyuk, a trendy' young detective 'makeover

2017033001002810000200441.jpg

http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201703300100281000020044&ServiceDate=20170329

I still could not watch the second episode. I just wish it was a Friday & Saturday show and have both the episode subtitles on weekend. Hope to make some time to watch it until the next two episodes.

DRAMA RECAPS

Tunnel: Episode 2

4LYJcg1.jpg

With its moody atmosphere and keen emotions, Tunnel’s opening week is as compelling as it gets. Leaping forward thirty years into the present this hour, we watch our brash detective struggle with life in the modern world. But while fish-out-of-water antics are always entertaining, it’s the lonely stranger-in-a-strange-land-vibes that have curled their tentacles into my heart. I’m glad you’re back, Choi Jin-hyuk.

EPISODE 2 RECAP

In the dark tunnel, Kwang-ho struggles to come back to consciousness after his knock on the head. Picking himself up, he looks for the culprit as the air ripples around him. Elsewhere, a desperate-looking young man in a white car careens through traffic, chased by another car. Meanwhile, Kwang-ho emerges from the tunnel, and behind him, the once-young vines grow and wither in the space of a moment over the tunnel’s mouth. Creepy. The hunted young man (Vixx’s N) loses his pursuer at a busy intersection. He rummages through his glovebox for something, and his license identifies him as… Park Kwang-ho? He’s so busy that he nearly doesn’t see our Kwang-ho crossing the road and slams on the brakes just in time.

Our Kwang-ho leaps out of the way and orders the young man out of the car. But the young man is terrified to see the other car has caught up to him and speeds away. The other car hotly pursues him. A confused Kwang-ho returns to his police station. His head is pulsing, and he calls out for maknae Sung-shik, but the station seems empty. He looks up at the sound of tapping, and is dismayed to see some other man at his desk. Kwang-ho confronts him, and the man introduces himself as Lieutenant KIM SUN-JAE (Yoon Hyun-min). Ohhh…! Kwang-ho mutters that he must be a lunatic from the local prayer house and throws him out, locking the door behind him.

He returns to (what he thinks is) his desk, and wonders idly what the smartphone lying on it is. Noticing that the phone is different, he dials his chief, but a woman answers and tells him he’s got the wrong number. Only then does he notice his changed surroundings, from the computers in place of typewriters, to… well, everything. He clutches his head as the old overlaps on the new. He takes a look at a printout, which turns out to be a transfer order for someone with the same name as his, although he’s confused by the 1988 birthdate (“It’s 1986, though”) and the even more ridiculous 2016 transfer date. By then, Sun-jae returns with a key and furiously confronts Kwang-ho. Irritated, Kwang-ho squirrels away the transfer order, and then, quick as a flash, he cuffs Sun-jae to the bars of the holding cell. Sun-jae demands to be released, wanting to know his identity.

Kwang-ho doesn’t have time for him, since he has a criminal to catch. But finding no one else there, he heads out with a big flashlight, ignoring Sun-jae’s shouts. Once outside, however, he looks around in bewilderment at the bright lights and high-rises, his thoughts following in voiceover: “That night, all of a sudden, the world that I knew changed entirely.”

Read more:: http://www.dramabean...nnel-episode-2/

I've had an unexpected day off due to extreme weather events in my neck of the woods, so to speak. So I decided among other things, I had to catch up with this one. It's OCN... after all... Plus it features a couple of actors that I like. And nobody does bromance like OCN. :wink:

Despite the apparent repetitiousness of trotting out the Hwaseong killings, I can understand how it's captured the imagination of film makers and script writers. Thirty years on, the cops are none the wiser. It's their version of the Whitechapel murders but more than that it's a festering sore on the collective psyche regarding the one that got away. 

While I can understand the obvious Signal comparison, it feels to me to be its own beast. It starts off being surprisingly funny as we track Det Pak's courtship of his future wife and then inhabiting the role of the increasingly frustrated cop who can't seem to nail the elusive serial killer. 

In addition the show feels more to me like Life on Mars than it does Signal. I've only ever seen the British version, which I liked very much but I imagine that Signal is still fresh in the mind of locals especially because of the time slip aspect. Although I'm wondering if, at the end of the day, it's really time slip or parallel universes.

The article said that, despite of Korean entertainment ban by China, the number of posts mentioning 'Tunnel' rose to more than 660,000 in the Chinese version of Twitter Weibo as in the morning 3/30. 

‘Tunnel’ CJH, has made it overseas …  with word-of-mouth through Global SNS after airing 2 episodes  

ItgQUtQ.jpg

http://enews24.tving.com/news/article.asp?nsID=1183431

<Tunnels>  The scene stealing acts in EP1&2

EP1 Jung Ho Young, a dog killer!
EP2 Lee Sun Ok , Korea's first female serial killer
Even the child actor of <Tunnel>, Choi Yeon So !

OCN

On 29.03.2017 at 3:26 AM, booha said:

Ohh  There is some confusion about Shin Jae Yi.  Yes in Korea a wife keeps her family surname after she marries  but for children they get their last name from the father’s side regardless whether a child is a boy or a girl. The only time a kid gets the mother’s surname is when a kid is born out of wedlock and the father doesn’t want the kid.   It means Shin Jae Yi might not be PKH’s daughter.  But somewhere I thought I read that Shin Jae Yi was adopted?   If that’s  true then Shin Jae Yi got her last name from her adopted family.  If not, well then  she isn’t PKH’s daughter.  So the guessing game continues??

Yes, it is true that a child takes the father name but I can`t rule out this assumption (that Shin Jae yii is Park Kwang Ho`s daughter)  just yet because it is not clear to me how registering a child works in Korea. I know that the children are registered in the father`s family register and I assumed that the father registers his child. But what happends when the father is dead before the birth of his child? I can`t forget how desperate Yeon Sook  was in the tunnel. She was crying desperately calling his name and asked: "Kwang Ho, what will I do with our baby?" I understand that she was left alone to raise a child but why she asked that? She was so concerned about the baby. For me is kind of dificult to understand the family law in Korea.  Regardless of the name Shin... watching episode 2, another thing caught my attention to my attention and I thought that she is indeed his daughter. The way Shin Jae yi looked at Park kwang Ho when she saw him in the University. She was so surprised to see him and later she watched him from her window. After that she was working in the Police departement. I think she was intrigued by Kwang Ho, she must recognized the resemblance with her father. It is just an assumption at this point.

About Sun jae, it is obvious that he works at the Police departement to solve his mother case, he wants to catch the killer. The cheif asked him why he is still there with them, he is working overnight.... Someone mentioned that Sun jae looked like he knew Jae yi. I get the same feeling too. I thought that they did not met the first time when he went to interogate her about Lee Sun Ok. Shin Jae yi intrigues me. Just like Sun Jae, she grew serious, she is not comunicative. I have a feeling that she has a past trauma. If she is indeed Park Kwang Ho`s daughter, what happened with her mother? 

The other Park Kwang Ho was needed to make the misunderstanding and it was a great oportunity for the old Park Kwang Ho to work in the police station for a while. :) I am sure 1988 PGH will come back one day.

About the fifth victim... I am confused. She was murdered in the future? The killer can travel back and forth through time? 

I find it hilariously when Gwang Ho asked the taxi driver about Reporter Oh more than one time. I bet there is a conection between the taxi driver ad Reporter Oh. :)

Archived