[Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널

larus

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11.03.2017 at 3:36 AM, booha said:

A serial murder that started in 1986  It starts again 30 years later?!

It started sometime in 1986,  questionable murder case

I admit that I was a little disappointed to hear that drama is actually based on the real unsolved Hwaseong serial murder case from 1980, as many dramas and films have done before. Again? But I watched both Gap Dong and Signal and each drama stand on their own, I did not had a deja vu feeling.  And Tunnel has already a different concept.

The real case of Hwaseong serial murder case started 1986 just when the story in Tunnel starts. But becasue the real case was unresolved it gives me some uneasiness when I heard they are taking inspiration for another drama or movie. At least they will solve the case in the drama.

1 hour ago, marykarmelina said:

Hello everyone!

If you would like to watch OCN "TUNNEL" on VIKI,

PLEASE help us get it licensed by requesting its license here:

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

Thanks for the link. I put the link on the first page too. Hope more peple will request the license on VIKI.

@marykarmelina:  Thank you.  I put in a request.  While Viki is fast in putting up the drama, I have to say that I prefer dramafever,  If you stop in the middle of the drama, you may end up watching from the beginning again and we noticed with Legend of the Blue Sea, that Viki cut a scene from an episode.  There was nothing controversial about the scene, so I am not a big fan of viki because of that.

@larus said

On 3/10/2017 at 7:36 PM, booha said:

A serial murder that started in 1986  It starts again 30 years later?!

It started sometime in 1986,  questionable murder case

I admit that I was a little disappointed to hear that drama is actually based on the real unsolved Hwaseong serial murder case from 1980, as many dramas and films have done before. Again? But I watched both Gap Dong and Signal and each drama stand on their own, I did not had a deja vu feeling.  And Tunnel has already a different concept.

The real case of Hwaseong serial murder case started 1986 just when the story in Tunnel starts. But becasue the real case was unresolved it gives me some uneasiness when I heard they are taking inspiration for another drama or movie. At least they will solve the case in the drama.

Thank you so much for the comment   I realized that I hadn’t checked out the actual 'Hwaseong serial murder case'  before.   Also I remembered this translated article which talked about the direction (?I don’t know whether it’s the right word) of the drama so I went back to read it again.  Then I found out that accidently I deleted one paragraph after I finished translating the article. owhhaa   It never happened before.   This article talked about  how Tunnel would be different from other dramas with a similar time-jump concept.

** I’m going to repost that article with the missing paragraph. 

(missing paragraph)

It was revealed that the actual Hwaseong  serial murder case in 1980s became the motive for Tunnel.  In the drama  the serial killings of young women in their twenties start to happen in Hwayang, Gyeonggi Province, in 1986.   Detective Park Kwang Ho, who feels a sense of disgust and disgrace as a detective in his time period and situation when people cannot be saved,  will be unexpectedly dropped down into the future where people can be saved.

Spoiler

Choi Jin-hyuk "Let's see who will win" ... 'Tunnel' preview video release

OCN Original ‘Tunnel’ preview video was released.  In addition to the appearance of Choi Jin Hyuk who plays the lead Park Kwang Ho, the images of the victims brutally murdered by the suspicious perpetrator catch the attention.

In the video CJH  who transformed into a detective of 1986 draws attention with the image of a detective who is fighting alone to catch the criminal, as saying ‘Let’s see who will win’.   In the mean time the dialogue, “Let me just go home” brings out sad laughter   At the end of the video, the image of CJH who  finds a person who looks like a criminal in a tunnel and chases after him, conveys  a sense of determination.

(missing paragraph)

It was revealed that the actual Hwaseong  serial murder case in 1980s became the motive for Tunnel.  In the drama  the serial killings of young women in their twenties start to happen in Hwayang, Gyeonggi Province, in 1986.   Detective Park Kwang Ho, who feels a sense of disgust and disgrace as a detective in his time period and situation when people cannot be saved,  will be unexpectedly dropped down into the future where people can be saved.

According to the Tunnel production team, “Contrary to other works which have the same theme of the time jump and dealt about the period limitations from those days, Tunnel will show a conscientious detective in charge who feels perhaps the future victims are in danger because of him so he works to rescue them with every means even jumping over time.”  

‘Tunnel’ where fate and time intersect is a crime investigation drama about tracking the serial killings that have lasted for 30 years with a deep desire to save those people.  In the year 1986, Park Kwang Ho (Choi Jin Hyuk) who pursued a murderer of a serial killings, will have a mysterious time jump, and, with the elite detective Kim Sun Jae(Yoon Hyun Min) and crime psychology professor Shin Jae Yi (Lee Yoo Young), chase a murderer of serial killings which starts again after 30 years.

It will be broadcast every Sa & S from 10 pm on Sa, March 25, followed by 'Voice'.

http://enews.imbc.com/News/RetrieveNewsInfo/200229

Also I’m posting the google link about the actual 'Hwaseong serial murder case' because it seems this case has penetrated deep into the Korean population’s psyche.  Yeah there are movies, dramas and  docu shows about the case. But in a fictionalized show/drama,  the case (or the theme of case) can be used again as long as a drama successfully has a different, fresh perspective/twist . Besides I don’t think it has reached to the point where the viewers lost interest in it.  I noticed Gap Dong didn’t do well with ratings but Signal did much better. I wonder why??  

https://www.google.com/#q=hwaseong+murders&*

(Tunnel) Hwayang ( Gyeonggi Province):  I tried to find the place but none existed by that name.  I could be wrong but the place could be fictional.  In google the city name bearing the same name is from a fictional novel ‘28’.  Maybe the writer is the fan of this book or its writer so she picked the same for Tunnel??  

http://www.nylib.or.kr/mobile/best_view.jsp?idx=1548&requestPage=1&position=1 //(google translation) novel 28

Yey now OCN blog replaced Voice with Tunnel  in its background.

bp5NFRa.jpg

'During the Tunnel shooting there was a forest fire in front of the tunnel … feeling daebak . let there be daebak Tunnel! (Ah, luckily this happened  without injuring ( people))'

http://blog.naver.com/ocnblog

Today I prepared an old story!  Full of love and mystery, the legendary story about ‘Hwayang –police, Park Kwang Ho begins!    

Kwang Ho story

Once upon a time, in the period of turbulent  80’s, there was Hwayang-police, detective Park Kwang Ho

pHXr8kp.jpg

The police station was his house. His partner was his wife.
Kwang Ho, sadly not knowing love, was born to be a hot blooded detective. 

qJ1KodZ.jpg

LlX4K8a.jpg

Spoiler

In front of such Kwang Ho, an angel appeared   Smiling beautifully, Yeon Suk was her name

z4W2xIh.jpg

KH met Yeon Suk through the superior’s introduction and he fell in love at first sight

#It was first love #destiny

FlkJ8P9.jpg

2o7T3Or.jpg

continue  Kwang Ho story  http://blog.naver.com/ocnblog

Who says first love never makes to the wedding!!

Those words didn’t apply to Kwang Ho and Yeon Suk…

9eiguBZ.jpg

tTSsFTo.jpg

Spoiler

Under the blessing by many people, they had a happy wedding.

#like dad’s wedding #why, this familiar feeling ((Choi Jin Hyuk talking about his dad))

bDLsOkr.jpg

JQkC9Q4.jpg

Since then, Kwang Ho & Yeon Suk  lived happily ever after

It would have been great like that but !

AcY07iR.jpg

g5jq0hG.jpg

Suddenly, one day, a black shadow came down on these two!

RGq1XCD.jpg

Spoiler

It was just that Kwang Ho disappeared without trace!
# Kwang Ho, missing # Where did you go? #Tunnel, culprit?

zJNzmgk.jpg

Yeon Suk and the superior, looking for Kwang Ho   Running around everywhere.. 

As matter of  fact, will Kwang Ho come back to his love Yeon Suk?

HNX2ujg.jpg

AS9U4Mh.jpg

Mysterious dots and missing bodies in OCN’s Tunnel teaser

by tineybeanie | March 13, 2017 | 16 Comments

tumblr_omt27dgZOM1sdd1ivo4_r1_1280.jpg

A new teaser has been released for OCN’s upcoming time-slip cop procedural Tunnel. It’s about a homicide detective from 1986 who goes through a tunnel, and realizes that he’s traveled through time to 2017. But the murder suspect he was investigating in his own time is still at large in the present. Choi Jin-hyuk (Pride and Prejudice) plays the main character, and Yoon Hyun-min (My Daughter Geum Sa-wol) plays his partner.

The teaser starts out with a horrified scream as it depicts a day in 1986, when a woman was dragged off and killed. The voice in the background says, “Whenever he sees a woman in a skirt, he starts getting a crazy urge to kill her.” As he’s following up on leads of different murder cases, Choi Jin-hyuk is convinced that it’s all the same guy because of the strange dots that mark every victim’s heels. He deduces that they indicate which number the victim is on the murderer’s list of kills, and number five is missing. He chases the killer through the tunnel, but he finds himself completely taken aback when he realizes he’s jumped through time itself.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/03/mysterious-dots-and-missing-bodies-in-ocns-tunnel-teaser/

On 3/12/2017 at 11:39 AM, CarolynH said:

@marykarmelina:  Thank you.  I put in a request.  While Viki is fast in putting up the drama, I have to say that I prefer dramafever,  If you stop in the middle of the drama, you may end up watching from the beginning again and we noticed with Legend of the Blue Sea, that Viki cut a scene from an episode.  There was nothing controversial about the scene, so I am not a big fan of viki because of that.

@CarolynH

I agree. I prefer Dramafever too, but I put in the request. I am trying to see if we can stream live from OCN website.

Can't wait to see Tunnel! 

http://program.tving.com/ocn/tunnel/8/Contents/Html

I hope I am doing this right..^^ I tried to capture the pages and post them here but I am not good at it.. :huh:

But the link will take you to the profiles of the characters.

I was reading the profile for CJH character, Park Kwang Ho, and here are some facts that I did not know.

PKH's mother played a strong role when he was growing up. When she passed away, his wife filled the empty spot. PKH's wife was a loving person. She gave PKH a whistle and told him to blow it when he is in danger, and she would go and rescue him. They lived an average life, eating Jja-Jang-Myun.

The investigation of the crimes led PKH to the Tunnel, where he met the suspect. PKH recognized him at once. While PKH was chasing the suspect, he became unconscious when the suspect hit him with a rock. PKH did not even have a chance to blow the whistle given by his wife. When he woke up, he was in 2016.

**Feeling excited** Can't wait until 3/25!!!:D

OCN Tunnel has an official site for Tunnel introduction and character description.  I translated them as best as I could.  There are some lines I wasn’t quite sure about and I might have missed some points …   hopefully there aren’t too many defects ..  

Tunnel  Introduction

[That punk, I will capture him definitely then I will return…! ]

YC73KRi.png

Spoiler

Song Kang Ho of [Memories of Murder] and [Signal] Cho Jin Woong,  what if they are going to time-slip in 2017?

As he tracked down a serial killer in the tunnel, he was hit on the back of his head and fell.
When he woke up and crawled out, the world is 2017 ..

Kwang Ho has to capture a serial killer from 30years ago
so that he can return to 1986 soon!
However the case falls into the labyrinth and fate gets more entangled.

Past detective Park Kwang Ho from 1986, who is unpolished but humane  AND prickly present detective Kim Sun Jae from 2016, will have uncomfortable(?) combi-play
– Two completely different detectives meet and chase one criminal to the end.   

[Fate and time intersect ‘time slip investigation story’]

This drama is a story which started in the tunnel.  
About the reason why detective Park Kwang Ho unknowingly made a time jump in the tunnel, could it be because there is a person in the present he has to protect?   

Could it be because in the present there is a monster whom he should have caught 30 years ago?
If so, then he should.

Believing in human feelings rather than scientific evidence,  
Getting himself into more of a rage over the victim’s story than the victim’s self,
Even though kicking the table and  wagging a fist first,  Park Kwang Ho shouts  that the bad man should be punished,

Now Park Kwang Ho is trying to escape the tunnel with them.   Therefore this drama is a story of a person rescuing another person.

[ “Would you believe me if I said I came from 1986?”]

Park Kwang Ho (Cho Jin Hyuk) homicide detective

v85s1Jo.png

Spoiler

A master of human investigation.
This is Kwang Ho’s theory which came to be after working 10 years as a homicide detective.
'Someone saw it, somebody heard it,(therefore) somebody knows it.'
So he caught the clues by meticulously scraping like a fishing boat’s dragnet around the victim and the suspect.
Everyone said it was brutal.

Before he became a detective, Kwang Ho was a total juvenile delinquent.  He was hot but rough.
However because of his mom, he learned how to live among people.
Though he still kept a habit of swinging his fist first.

After his mom died, the empty spot was filled in by Yeon Sook.  She was a bright woman.
She was a lovely woman who put a whistle necklace around Kwang Ho’s neck saying if he blew the whistle when he was in danger, she would run to him.
He thought he would continuously live with her in a normal ordinary life like eating out for Jajangmyeon.

However, as the murders began to happen repeatedly in the jurisdiction, the cracks began to appear.
Even though the special effort was made, the result was a lot more of innocent victims who were dragged into the police station.
One day, Kwang Ho went to the crime scene in the tunnel and ran into the criminal.
Instantly he recognized him. As he was chasing the criminal, Kwang Ho was struck by the stone and lost conscious.  
He didn’t even have time to blow the whistle which was given by Yeon Sook.

When he gained conscious, Kwang Ho was in 2016.

[“Don’t apologize to me. Just struggle.” ]

Kim Sun Jae(Yoon Hyun Min) homicide detective

0HH8mb0.png

Spoiler

He has no interest in people’s investigation.   It’s because he thinks dealing with lies is no fun.
He gets clues to the investigation through smart phones, SNS, e-mail, CCTV, navigation and other digital evidence.
He has low tolerance with things that aren’t fun. He lacks in sociability. He has no humanistic side.   
He is known as a rude conceited kid who doesn’t shed a drop of blood even if he got poked by his colleagues.

Unexpectedly, he grew up in a very healthy home.  He often moved along with his soldier father.  Although he had frequent transfers so he didn’t have time to make friends, his mom always had a party for him to meet new friends when he went to the new school.  
But Sun Jae was very annoyed with such parents.   It’s because he was a child adult who could handle anything.

One day, however, Sun Jae asked ‘Why do I have two set of grandparents?’  
Actually Sun Jae’s dad remarried.  When Sun Jae had just passed the first year, his mom died in an accident.  
Sun Jae accepted it without fuss  “Okay.  I will not be a trouble maker so don’t make such an expression”

In the 7th year of his detective work, there came a new partner Kwang Ho rolling in.  
Where can I use the rookie from  the 3rd year of the police. But this guy, Kwang Ho seems to investigate well.  Kwang Ho has no principle and met people all the time but strangely he feels like Kwang Ho is an old veteran who worked in the field for a long time  

By the time he thinks Kwang Ho is good, he finds out Kwang Ho doesn’t exist in any recorded world.  

[“When you kill people, how did it feel?”]
Shin Jae Yi (Lee Yoo Young) professor & consultant

hgZf7zi.png

Spoiler

Dark. Cold. Chilly. And beautiful
She grew up in England and has been in Korea for the second year. She’s teaching psychology at university.
Jae Yi received a Ph.D. in research on serial killers of women and was known to academia.
Unplanned yet she accepted the invitation to be a lecturer in Korea
She did it because of the interview with the serial killer.

There is a final question that she always asks the killer.
"How did you feel when you killed a person?"
She has been constantly interviewing the murderers.
They lied at first, but at the end they told the real story.  In order to listen, Jae Yi had to give them something about her.
And the more Jae Yi interviewed, the more, to Jae Yi, the boundaries between good and evil became blurred.

Two men appeared before Jae Yi.  Park Kwang Ho.  And Kim Sun Jae. It was said he was a homicide detective.
Later she met with them again for consultation for the police.   Among the police, he was the only one who didn’t treat Jae Yi  differently or suspiciously.

It was Sun Jae.  
He asked Jae Yi to come out from  the dark.   Jae Yi pushed back Sun Jae who acted like he knew all about her.   But he didn’t get pushed.
Instead he walked into the world of Jae Yi

And one day when Jae Yi wanted to hold the hand of Sun Jae, suddenly Park Kwang Ho stood in front of Jae Yi.

[Homicide team1]

Jeon Seong Sik (Cho Hee Bong) / team leader
"Are you our family?"

tblu74H.png

Spoiler

Born in 1965. Homicide team1 leader.  A 30 year veteran who started as a cop.
He came back to the station where he first started with the police and took over the team.

He takes care of everybody  like family.
He doesn’t like outsiders and people who act smarty. So he doesn’t too much care about Sun Jae.  He was the one who first noticed the identity of Kwang Ho who was his defender(?) 30 years ago.

Kwak Tae Hee (Kim Byung Chul) / Team 1 detective
"It smells, it smells"

zQmjYuB.png

Spoiler

Homicide team1 detective.  Detective 15 years.  Whenever he opens his mouth, he lies,  and he can’t smell well.  
However when the corpse rots on the location, he shows his true value.  The problem is that he can’t even smell himself.  

He is not happy to see Seong Sik taking care of Kwang Ho who just rolled in.  He isn’t our family.   
Song Min Ha’s partner.   

Song Min Ha (Kang Ki Young) /Team1 detective
‘Sunbaenim when did you get promoted?’ 

Spoiler

hqmEylJ.png

Homicide team1 detective. Detective 5 years.  
He started the police officer’s examination during the first year of college and passed it at the same time of his graduation.   
He is the fast one since his friends are still job seekers.   

He is good at flattering and conduct.  He wants to take a short cut.   
He frequently skips over his partner Kwak Tae Hee and reports to Seong Sik so he is disliked.  
He calls Kwang Ho, the youngster.  

[other characters]

Shin Yeon Sook (Lee Shi A) / Kwang Ho's wife
"If you blow the whistle, I'll run to you."

Spoiler

Ux2njYC.png 

Kwang Ho's wife. Heavenly woman.
She graduated from high school and worked at a tailor shop when she met Kwang Ho on a matchmaking date and married him.  

Yeon Sook said she married Kwang Ho because she felt his warm hand, when Kwang Ho pulled in Yeon Sook’s hand  as a car approached  on their first date.
She gave the whistle to the detective Kwang Ho so he could whistle it when he was in danger.

Mok Jin Woo (Kim Min Sang) /coroner
“When there is no trace, one should have an eye on ‘before’ not ‘after’”

Spoiler

Ka11ZLe.png

Coroner (National Institute of Scientific Investigation).  Though he’s approaching 50 he has a well maintained body.
Thanks to his well-formed appearance, he reminds of Mads Mikkelsen.

His meticulous nature makes his autopsy room always clean, and his personality  is such that he doesn’t speak more than it is needed.  

He has worked as a coroner for 10 years, and now he is living alone after two divorces.  
When he buys something, he doesn’t buy cheap or bad things.  

That he is more affectionate and friendly to Sun Jae, is perhaps because he thinks they are of a similar class.

He is the only sunbae and mentor whom Sun Jae accepts and follows.  
Sometimes they share  a chess game and teatime only with each other almost like friends.

Oh Gi Ja (Yang Joo Ho) / reporter
“Why do you always treat me like that?”

Spoiler

PL7AoT0.png

A journalist who is in and out of the police station in 1986.   
He likes to ask lots of questions. He is relentless. He is good at weaving in and out.   
He confronts Kwang Ho with every angle  but he is hard to dislike.  

Archived